After a year in incubation we’re ready to remove the beta tag from the Add-on Builder! For those of you who are unfamiliar with this fantastic tool, Add-on Builder is an online development environment that allows developers with knowledge of HTML, JavaScipt and CSS to rapidly create add-ons for Firefox using the Mozilla Add-on SDK. You can think of it as the jsFiddle of add-on development and debugging.
Add-on Builder leverages the Add-on SDK to produce add-ons that users can install without restarting Firefox. In addition, add-ons created with Add-on Builder are automatically repackaged with Add-on SDK updates – which ensures that Builder-based add-ons will continue to work for users without interruption, regardless of Firefox API changes.
Add-on Builder provides many features specifically tailored to help add-on authors develop add-ons:
- a simple online interface for writing your code
- live, one-click add-on testing
- access to a repository of third-party add-on libraries
- jsFiddle-like sharing and collaboration
- instant upgrade options for new versions of the Add-on SDK
- integrated features for publishing to addons.mozilla.org
If you haven’t yet developed an add-on for Firefox, we suggest you give the Add-on Builder a try. With a simple interface and many helpful tools, it truly is the quickest, easiest way to create add-ons for Firefox!