It’s me :)

I’m getting a whole slew of spam in my mozilla.com account these days titled It’s “Name” :), ‘sent’ by Name Surname. I bothered looking at the mail now, just to see what’s happening, and the messages talk about oil, and a company called

Cana Petroleum (CNPM)

Now I’ve been googling and found Reuter’s stock ticker for that company.

1. It seems to work.
  2. Sector: Technology Industry: Software & Programming

Excuse me? Hallo, Echo? Anybody home?

Ugh.

The Conversation {6 comments}

1. Alex Vincent {Thursday November 9, 2006 @ 3:08 pm}

Thanks for the warning. I just got one of those and wondered who “Fabian” was.

2. Shawn Wilsher {Thursday November 9, 2006 @ 4:58 pm}

I’ve been getting so many of those myself.

Who categorized that company? For that matter, are people actually taking the advice of that e-mail? That stock did really well today… :(

3. Jan! {Friday November 10, 2006 @ 1:36 am}

I have been getting those for quite a while now, but until, say, yesterday they were for EverGlory, Inc. Same boilerplate text, different stock.

4. AKS {Friday November 10, 2006 @ 9:56 pm}

I have been receiving many of these at home and at work. It has recently showed up and comprises over 10% of my spam volume. At work everyone has been getting them also. My address is different betwen the two places.

In each and every case the email sender name starts with “debora” or “deborah”.

5. jeff {Friday November 10, 2006 @ 9:56 pm}

Potential Worm Activity Detected

is what I’m getting about a thousand times an hour. Same thing… company CANA. It says (I’m) trying to send these suspicious e-mails to people. I Stop all of these e-mails. Mcaffee doesn’t recognize it at all, just says that it’s suspicious. Also ties us my computer when I’m getting these virusscan detections. Thanks for any help getting rid of this worm.

6. karl {Friday November 10, 2006 @ 11:21 pm}

Hmm you are not using spam assassin?
    Simple solution.
    in either user_prefs or /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

rawbody CANA /Cana Petroleum/i
    score CANA 20.000

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.