A customized “planet Mozilla” with a focus on Gecko development

Planet Mozilla doesn’t do what I personally need. Planet Mozilla Projects gets closer, but misses the mark: still far more stuff than I can read, and misses some very useful one-person blogs.

So here’s a Google Reader that does what I want. It currently aggregates 40 Mozilla-related feeds, some of them from Planet Mozilla, some others from Planet Mozilla Projects. It’s unabashedly biased toward my personal interests. You might find it useful too. Suggestions for additional feeds to add are welcome.

Here’s a rough description of what to expect there:

• Over 50% Gecko-related posts.
  • Some hacking tips.
  • Some other Mozilla technical things.
  • Some other Mozilla non-technical things to stay connected with the wider community, like the excellent Bonjour Mozilla.
  • As little personal/ego blogging as possible — hard to make guarantees as some otherwise very interesting feeds can occasionally digress a bit. That’s a tough call, as I have to refrain from adding some otherwise very useful feeds to avoid diluting the blogroll too much with off-topic posts.
  • No political/philosophical/religious blogging at all. I promise I’ll unconditionally remove any feed I notice doing that. (Oops: now I expect that the Planet Mozilla audience will flame me, pointing out that this post of mine is precisely doing politics. Well, yes, but not that kind of politics.)

11 Responses to “A customized “planet Mozilla” with a focus on Gecko development”

1. tglek says:

I think we should just start a mozilla-tech aggregator. Otherwise your thing will miss new technical bloggers.

Completely agree with the sentiment. Too many people stopped reading planet because of the level of noise there.

2. David Baron says:

Is there a way to see the list of feeds that it syndicates?

3. J. McNair says:

You bring up a great point others have made: there needs to be a technology and development-only feed. Anyone should be able to get a quick idea of what Mozilla has been building, without having to read ALL of Planet.

Even a tech only feed would have parts considered “noise”; for example: pure web devs may not want to read about Thunderbird or the Rust language. A small set of reasonable subcategories would solve this (one category for each “product”, then add JS, HTML/CSS, IT, standardization, and research). The only problem is, such a feed would require deliberate curation. A moderator would have to pick the best posts from the Planet firehose and manually share them to this new feed. That’s not a trivial amount of work, and I’d like to help but I have no idea what the best way to do it would be.

I still think Planet has a place: it gives a good overall picture of the people in the Mozilla community. Many people don’t need or want it, but I like having it.

Basically, choice is best, etc

4. bjacob says:

Is there a way to see the list of feeds that it syndicates?

I would like that too! I only started using Google Reader today and I don’t know if it has that feature for public blogrolls.

5. Archaeopteryx says:

You can create a bundle of feeds where people are people are able to see the feeds like this: http://googlesystem.blogspot.de/2009/05/share-collections-of-feeds-in-google.html

6. Paul Rouget says:

I’m wondering how firefoxnightly.tumblr.com could fit in this.

7. And says:

> the excellent Bonjour Mozilla

I would label it spam (high frequency/no value) and harassment (several of the subjects did, as even mentioned by the poster, not want to be photographed/exposed).

But isn’t this just a backwards way of getting rid of the noise.

8. bjacob says:

@Archaeopteryx: thanks! I’ve tried to follow these instructions and ended up with a public page like this: http://www.google.ca/reader/view/user%2F16463862435624126765%2Fbundle%2Fmozilla#stream/user%2F16463862435624126765%2Fbundle%2Fmozilla

I still don’t see how this allows people to view the feeds, except perhaps if they have a Google account themselves?

9. bjacob says:

@And: Woah, I had never heard such harsh criticism of Bonjour Mozilla. I’ll wait until I come across someone else sharing this opinion, before I take it seriously. I know (out of personal experience) that it does publish your photo without asking, but calling that harassment sounds like an exaggeration. As for “useless”, I guess it’s a matter of taste. If I’m going to read just one blog to discover the wider community, I’d rather have it be Bonjour Mozilla, as I find it well written and entertaining.

10. njn says:

No subset will be appropriate for more than a few people.

The right fix is for Planet Mozilla to let each individual choose exactly which feeds to ignore. (You want a blacklist so that you get to see newly added blogs.) I’ve suggested it to the Planet maintainers, but apparently it’s more work than they are willing to put in.