Thunderbird on Maemo

I set up a Maemo build environment not too long ago, so that I could follow along with the Fennec work. I was curious to see what other Mozilla stuff I could get working for my N810…

That’s the current trunk version of Thunderbird (aka Shredder). I had to jump through a few hoops to build it, but it wasn’t too bad. Setting up Scratchbox and upgrading the compiler is a chore, but once that generic work has been done it builds about the same way as any other platform. Checking out the source was the hardest part — Thunderbird and Seamonkey are in mercurial now, but the client.py checkout script requires the “subprocess” python module, which doesn’t seem to be included in the Maemo packages. Grr! So “python client.py checkout” failed, and I had to stumble my way through checking out the new repo by hand. Thanks to the folks on #maildev for helping out!

How’s it run? Fairly well, from my brief testing. The UI isn’t optimized for small-screen mobile usage, but it seemed responsive enough that I’ll try using it in coming days. The other mail client I’ve tried on the N810 are sucky, quirky, or some combination thereof — so even something barely usable will be nice!

Presumably a SeaMonkey build should work too, since they share a lot of common code, but I didn’t try it.

About Justin Dolske

Mostly harmless.
This entry was posted in Firefox, PlanetMozilla. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Thunderbird on Maemo

1. bogdanco says:

Great job, a good “big buttoned tree-less” mobile theme would make it more usable though.

Regards,
    Bogdan

2. Topher says:

I have a windows mobile phone, and have OFTEN thought that Thunderbird would be more of a killer app on it than Firefox. There’s no end of browsers for it, but not one single good email app. Outlook is really awful, just just because I hate outlook, but as a mobile IMAP client it REALLY sucks. And there really isn’t anything else. I know porting it to the 810 is a lot different than porting to win mobile, but man it would be cool.

Thanks for your efforts.

3. timsamoff says:

This is amazing. Thank you!

4. lud666 says:

“The other mail client I’ve tried on the N810 are sucky, quirky, or some combination thereof — so even something barely usable will be nice!”

Totally! I’ll be looking forward to trying this!

5. Reggie says:

Thanks for this! Mind sharing it with the Internet Tablet community?

6. Johnny says:

Mind sharing it with the Internet Tablet community? Thanks for this!

7. Jeff Mings says:

I have been fantasizing about Tbird on my N810 for months. I use Claws, which does things in strange and bizarre ways. I’ve been using Tbird on Mac OS for a few years, and on Linux before that. I use the portable Tbird for dozens of my client’s staff. In short, I _really_ like Tbird.

Please make this available for the deprived Internet Tablet users! :)

Aloha,
    -Jeff

8. Arjun Parsi says:

wow great to hear, I waiting for you Thunderbird

9. Khertan says:

Hum … are you sure ? Subprocess is a default python module.

But could be not in scratchbox as the sdk use python2.3

10. Ryan says:

What can you share with us about your experience installing Thunderbird on a Nokia Tablet? I am trying to learn how to share this very nice application with the Nokia tablet community, but I admit to being a rank ameteur where it comes to development. I can write a few scripts, and do basic debugging but I’ve carefully avoided the software developer label at work and in personal life.

If I can get this running nicely with the Hildonized menus, I’d love to tie it up in a bow and share with others.

And advice or input you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Comments are closed.