Stupid MobileMe

A month or two ago this stupid little icon showed up on my menu bar. I found it kind of amusing (in a sad kind of way) because it appeared out of the blue, without my having approved anything, and the dropdown menu had a bunch of redundant items that were all variations of “you are not using MobileMe”.

I noticed today that now it’s complaining about sync conflicts. Which is also kind of sad, because I *still* have never used it, and have no idea what those conflicts could be for (turns out they’re for iCal conflicts… but I don’t use iCal any more). It even *says* that I’ve never used it, and that syncing is disabled!

WTF, Apple?!

About Justin Dolske

Mostly harmless.
This entry was posted in PlanetMozilla, Technology. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Stupid MobileMe

1. zbraniecki says:

Hi! I had the same problem. Extremely frustrating. cmd+drag out of bar…

2. Jeria says:

Is there some sort of service running for this? Does dragging the icon out of the bar shut it down?

3. robcee says:

that blows. That’s the kind of thing I’d only expect with Safari on Windows.

I believe SyncServices are running regardless of the status of MobileMe. This seems like a feature they’ve tied a little too close to the OS.

zbraniecki: Cool, I never know about cmd-opt on the menu bar applets before!

4. Seth says:

i’ve been trying to disable it since i saw it. i can’t unless i sign up for a mobile me account. at least i think i can’t disable it until i do that…who know, if i sign up, maybe i’ll get 5 more icons on my menu bar.

sad for sure.

5. RichB says:

This menu is also used for syncing contacts with Google.

6. Dave says:

I can’t use my new flash hard drive until I sign up for MobileMe

Comments are closed.