Meeting Notes

29-October-2008

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2008-10-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2008-10-29

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL) <– note new extension: x92 instead of x91!
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 2.0.0.x / 3.0.x

  • 2.0.0.18 & 3.0.4

    • Firefox 3.0.4 is code frozen and handed off to build

    • Firefox 2.0.0.18 just had last patch checked in
    • After appropriate green cycles, we’ll give the go to build
    • Unclear if scheduled release date is still possible.
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.18
    • Schedule is on the wiki

    • Any problems with this schedule?
  • Firefox 2.0.0.19 & 3.0.5
    • Proposed schedules are on the wiki

    • Please email me if you have any problems/questions with the schedule
    • We’ll be giving QA a longer period this release, which means a quick code freeze
    • Code freeze is scheduled for Monday, November 17, at 11:59pm
  • Major update
    • Not clear when we’re doing the next major update. Should know more next week (or after the round table!).


Support

Weekly common issues


Firefox 3.1

Beta 1

  • about 100k users

  • probably want to get about twice that for beta 2

Beta 2

  • Plan for Beta 2

    • en-US string freeze is Thursday, October 30th at 11:59pm PDT

    • code freeze is Tuesday, November 4th at 11:59pm PDT
    • need to start thinking about how we want to highlight and present beta 2 to users
    • release roadmap


Support

Support Firefox day focus on Localization of SUMO. Friday Nov 21st, various timezones. More info: contact Cww.

(should have a post on planet soon.)


Localization

2 more locales, details:

locales with pushes …

this week 
23 (be ca cs da de es-AR es-ES et eu fi fr he is it ko lt nb-NO pl pt-PT sk sv-SE tr zh-TW)

last week 
7 (fy-NL hi-IN nl oc ru te zh-CN)

week before last 
4 (eo ga-IE nn-NO si)

older
13 (en-GB gu-IN hu id ja ja-JP-mac mk pa-IN pt-BR ro sq sr uk)

just admins
21

Outreach going out tonight, general (blog and newsgroup post), plus individual for folks not in beta 1 and stale


QA

  • Q: why is some work landing into hg without a bug number? (eg. enabling JIT)

  • Our top critical tracking issues blocking Beta 2 test development:
    • (Stephend) bug 450314 – use a special tag to block results from the awesomebar

      • Requested Blocking flag. Needs tests
    • (Marcia) bug 411929 – Private Browsing UI
      • Word is this will be land by thursday. Has been priortized.
    • (Marcia) bug 248970 – (PrivateBrowsing) Private Browsing mode (global toggle for saving/caching everything)
      • Requested Blocking flag. Needs tests and patch review.
    • (Marcia) bug 436304 – Implement “All Tabs” panel with previews
      • Requested blocking flag. Blocking litmus tests, need UI
    • (Marcia) bug 347930 – Tab strip should be a toolbar instead
      • Requested blocking flag. Blocking litmus tests, need UI
  • Fx3.1 Feature testing progress spreadsheet
    • Testplan completion %: 80% (last week: 67%)

    • Estimated testcases: 743 (last week: 444)
    • Testcase completion %: 46% (last week: 29%)
      • Targeted % by Beta 2 ship: Testplans 100% | Testcases 50%

      • Targeted % by RC1 ship: Testplans 100% | Testcases 90%
  • As always, Feature Testplans and progress here.
  • Private browsing testday pushed to 11/7 (marcia)
  • We’ll be including updates to 3.1b1 crash reporting next week. (Thanks SS)
  • Will add a section in the 3.1 testplan this week to track support related issues we find


Release Engineering

  • coop doing FF2.0.0.18 bug 461264

  • joduinn doing FF3.0.4 bug 461267
  • bhearsum and nthomas plugging away on rel-automation for FF3.1beta2
  • after FF3.1beta2, RelEng will be creating FF3.1 project branch/repo. This will also require spinning up build/unittest/talos on that new project branch, delaying reopening tree. Still working out details, but anyone with ideas/opinions, please contact bhearsum or joduinn. See also upcoming posts to dev.planning.


Evangelism

  • Sheppy has been cranking on docs

    • Video + Audio docs continue

    • All interfaces that were documented in Firefox 3.0 are now updated for 3.1
    • Updated storage documentation (including async execution)
  • Add-ons status

    • Rey is doing a blog post every week

    • Paul started this week (yay!) and his first task is to help Rey with add-ons changes for 3.1 and act as a tech evang for XUL
  • Demo sites for 3.1

    • Video conference this week – talking to Wikipedia guys about <video>

    • Some more meetings next week
    • Need to talk to the zimbra folks as well


Marketing/PR

  • PR working on announcements for week of Nov 17 and week of Nov 24. Ideal to avoid overlap if possible. Please talk to Shappy about any pending releases in that time frame.


Roundtable

  • proposed beta 2 schedule (pessimistic)

    • code freeze nov 4th

    • builds start nov 7th
    • qa starts nov 10th
    • release targeted nov 20th
  • add-on compatibility for Firefox 3.1
    • concern that if add-ons aren’t compatible for 3.1b2, our usage numbers will be low

    • chofmann: we should consider adding a third beta where the only additional “feature” is that we’ve had a cycle to get more add-ons compatible in order to increase our number of beta users
    • beltzner: could do that just as easily as an RC, though it might imply a longer RC phase
  • Firefox 2 end of life discussion (see discussion in dev.planning)
    • no objections beyond what’s in that thread

    • second major update offer should probably be 1-2 weeks after we ship 2.0.0.18
      • need to be sure to avoid Nov 28th-Dec 1st as it’s generally a high internet traffic time

      • target date for MU is dec 2nd, then?
  • Priority on polish (see discussion in dev.apps.firefox)

28-October-2008

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2008-10-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2008-10-28

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Standard8

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to davida for schedule changes/additions.


Calls For Help

  • davida would appreciate assistance on the autoconfiguration branch. (The awesome create-a-new-account screen where you just enter your e-mail address and it figures out most/all of the details for you.) One particular area that could use assistance is handling certificates in the connection detection logic.


Action Items


New


Open

  • dmose: drive JS-in-mail discussion

  • davida: will escalate issue of separate messaging crash-stats server
    • Crash-stats is looking reasonable at the moment. Do we still want to do this?
  • davida: needs to identify the major work items for thunderbird 3 and break them down by the beta/release they will be in.
  • From the Alpha 3 post-mortem (individuals should take your own items and go through them):
    • sipaq: Document details on what should happen before, during and after the string freeze, and the effects on developers at the relevant times.

    • wsmwk: Put up tracking bug for issues from releases during litmus tests.
    • wsmwk: Need to define what tests (e.g. smoketests/basic functional/unit tests etc) should go where and where they are filed.
    • standard8: Generate some gristmill example scripts, and encourage others to use gristmill and file bugs to help improve it.
    • tb-drivers: Go through current MailNews/TB relnote bugs and work out what is really necessary.


Closed

  • bienvenu: Pick an intermediate milestone for landing most of the big items. Thunderbird:Thunderbird_3.0b1

  • davida: Major items for beta 1 to be nailed down asap
  • standard8: Send mail to release-drivers, do we need some overall cleanup of relnote bugs?
    • Response from release-drivers is that relnote is pretty much an author set flag, and therefore is used as a guide.

    • The thought is that we do the same for now as well. See how it goes through betas.


Thunderbird 3 Beta 1

  • bienvenu is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer
  • Proposed String freeze date: 2008-11-13
  • Code Freeze date: 2008-11-18
  • davida will identify the must-absolutely-have items for beta 1 (part of the new action item planning what must happen by when)

    • Proposed intermediate target (to prevent everything either landing at the end or missing) for major items: Friday, October 31

      • Gloda

        • Definitely land with the pref turning it off for Friday

        • dmose progressing reviews.
      • AutoConfig
        • Definitely land as an additional menu item, not yet replacing account wizard

        • depends on how much time bienvenu has as to if this will make it or not.
      • Kill-RDF
        • SeaMonkey note: need to land ASAP as it may cause problems

        • Currently going through reviews. May or may not make it by the date.
      • Cross-folder views
        • Currently going through reviews, should make it.
  • pre-release testday(s)
    • purpose: solidify functionality & stability for big features/changes

    • testday 1 – pre-freeze – if wanted on Friday Nov 7, and want publicity via about:mozilla, then need good info by Oct 30
    • testday 2 wanted during bake time / post-freeze, but before release candidate is available? For example ~ Nov 20 (code freeze target is Nov 18). (And might help draw draw more people to QA b1.)


Thunderbird 3

  • Draft Thunderbird:Thunderbird3:DevRoadmap identifies major work items on the plate for Tb3 — much of it needs scheduling, owning, breakdown.

    • folks interested in helping with front-end stuff, some simple, should ask in #maildev


QA Updates


Roundtable

  • IMAP fake server has now landed.

    • All major protocols now covered to some extent.

    • If you have problems with the fake server support structure, or unit test support structure, please speak to Standard8 or jcranmer.
  • Philosophy on fixing crashes.
    • If you can reproduce them, then try to fix the actual problem.

    • If you can’t reproduce it and/or see what the error is, then worst case, add an assertion and do the appropriate check to fix it. The assertion can then be picked up later.
    • Crashes will be looked at more later, typically closer to release time, to minimise as far as possible.
    • Firefox has a wiki page tracking crashes and their bugs (crash-stats can’t currently do that).


Status Updates


davida


dmose
  • attended FSOSS conference; spoke about Thunderbird community with David Eaves

  • wrote collapsed message header patch
  • started bootstrapping a new addressbook provider
  • reviews
  • message view strategy session with clarkbw
  • website design review meeting
  • ab UUID arch brainstorming/discussion


nth10sd


jcranmer


Standard8
  • Reviews

  • Password Manager – started work on the backend again (bug 433316)
    • Got some code in place to try and obtain passwords from toolkit password manager before prompting. This fixed some of the unit tests when building with toolkit password manager.

    • Came across and fixed bug bug 461341 – when toolkit password manager migrates usernames it needs to unescape them.
    • Wallet password details haven’t been kept up to date with username/hostname changes – discussions in bug 433316 on how to fix this.
    • bug 461029 POP protocol will now PR_LOG errors it also displays to the user.
    • Noticed than nsMsgMailNewsURL was the only use nsUrlListenerManager and that in turn was effectively an nsTObserverArray – replaced the appropriate code bug 461946
      • Then noticed possible (small?) perf improvement and filed bug 461951
  • Performance
    • More work on bloat tests to try and stabilise Mac box.
  • More work on bug 326809 modernize nsIMsgHeaderParser


asuth
  • gloda re-factoring debugged and happy with exptoolbar!

  • exptoolbar brought up to speed!
  • many mozStorage related things dealt with. those should land soon and then nothing will block us from landing gloda apart from dmose’s many thousand action items. I do kid, but I still need to do a pass on what got mooted by my refactoring and try and close out as many as possible, etc.
  • tags!
    • tag notifications…

    • tag searching for exptoolbar!
  • other features!
  • libmime/mimemsg changed up to properly grok body parts and be able to produce just the plain or HTML parts
  • in-progress body understanding code for simple quoting analysis and bugzilla body analysis. the exptoolbar search view is useless for bugmail without this, and arguably not so hot even with normal messages without this.
  • then review close-out stuff, I swear

I am going to be in sunnier Orlando next week. Internet will likely be via internet cafe, probably during east coast business hours.


bienvenu
  • Reviews and Driving

  • Cross-folder threading/grouping going through review process. Some preparatory work has landed. bug 379806
  • Made SeaMonkey work in kill-rdf repository. Some preparatory changes have landed; In review process for others bug 414038
  • Working on getting autoconfig repo in shape to land.
  • Fixed problem where saving message was leaving the dest file locked bug 461256
  • Fixed toggling imap message read state in cross-folder saved search, bug 461584
  • Landed fix for bug 455966 – IMAP threadsafety assertions when retrying url.
  • Building and running Lightning with Google calendar – tracking major usability bugs I find.


emre
  • bug 457452: Leaking on shutdown problem: landed.

  • bug 456839: Started to experiment.
  • bug 383489: Work in progress, expected to land a patch sometime this week, or early next week latest.
  • bug 257942: A demo showing auto-sync and activity manager in action has submitted last Sunday. Activity grouping by context has been implemented. Starting to work on error handling.
    • will note the about the APIs on mda.thunderbird to get feedback.


gozer
  • Web

    • SpreadThunderbird

      • More setup work for spreadthunderbird.com

      • Work completed from my POV, it’s in the hands of the designers for now
  • Build
    • Leak testing looking better, got Linux, OS X & Win32 builders up on MozillaTest

      • Ready to move them to the Thunderbird tinderbox tree? (osx still flapping)

      • Graph Server support is possible, bug 61041
    • hg.mozilla.org still breaking from time to time (like just now)
      • hg-mirror.mozillamessaging.com is feasible (tested)

        • HgPollers would need some work
    • Sunbird/Calendar
      • Tinderbox is all green, but low on disk space bug 461337

      • l10n repacks are hapenning, except for OS X bug 459402
      • Nightlies should be updating themselves, but don’t seem to be (ause just fixed it)
  • Systems
    • Mozilla Messaging top-level svn area on svn.mozilla.org

      • Will be moving the corporate site content over there soon, you’ll have to svn switch your checkouts


clarkbw


wsmwk
  • bugday

  • triage – focused on crashers
  • AI – need to remove NS 4.x import/migrate from litmus
  • obtained second volunteer to work outlook import bugs


beckley


Penelope
  • Have final builds of Eudora 8 beta 4/Penelope 0.5 alpha 1, awaiting final testing

    • Made mailbox font pref changing live

    • Changed it so that we display the Eudora version in Mac Info rather than the Thunderbird version
    • Some reconfiguration to get Eudora version from branding version.txt file
    • .DS_Store file changes for the Mac dmg to get the background image to show up on all machines
    • Fixed a problem where the 2-pane Mailboxes window wasn’t fully initializing
    • Fixed a number of Eudora branding issues
    • Improved the About Eudora dialog box a little making it more like Thunderbird’s, which contains the copyright and user agent string (which is good because it shows the Thunderbird version)
  • Select first filter patch submitted and awaiting review: bug 461252


KaiRo


rkent
  • Bayesian filters: bug 453885 the second patch for generalized bayes has passed review. The next patch bug 461479 is mostly done, needs a little cleanup after review. After that patch, all of the backend work to support bayesian-driven soft tags will be done. They could be implemented either through an extension, or on the main product if desired.

  • Database: I’m still waiting for review on bug 449768 “Reindexing should save message metadata” There will be several similar bugs to fix other holes in metadata maintenance. I’ve also been exploring a plugable backend database architecture, with the goal to select database technology (Mork, SQLite, mysql) on a per-folder basis. Still not sure if that will be feasible though.
  • Message filters: Custom filter actions bug 419456 has initial review but no approvals. I’d like to do something similar for custom search criteria.
  • Misc: did some crash fixes, but I still don’t understand the philosophy about stupid crash fixes as asked in m.d.a.t


rebron
  • SpreadThunderbird is shaping up spreadthunderbird.com, almost ready to launch. New affiliate module uploaded and putting together final touches.

  • Finalizing web site redesign color options. Please send any feedback to rebron@gmail.com as we’re nearing the end of design concept phase and going into design production.


sipaq


Attendees

dmose, standard8, asuth, bienvenu, emre, gozer, wsmwk, beckley, KaiRo, rkent, rebron

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2008-10-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2008-10-28

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Details

  • Tuesday – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S – <script> conference room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel


Notices / Schedule

  • Beta 2 Schedule

    • en-US string freeze is Thursday, October 30th at 11:59pm PDT

    • code freeze is Tuesday, November 4th at 11:59pm PDT
  • Please take a look at the feature list and get things missing added, and update status for things you own: Firefox3.1/Features#Gecko_1.9.1
  • See the security review schedule page to get your review scheduled ASAP!


Firefox 3.1 Update

  • Places

    • fsync work landed yesterday


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • GFX blocking 1.9.1+

  • GFX wanted 1.9.1+
  • Bugs, nothing exciting.
  • Linux web fonts
    • font selection changes (bug 449356) look like reducing overall memory usage to 3/4 (savings in addition to 10% from bug 385263), and mean first page load time to 3/4. Talos median (cached) page load time should remain the same. This is expected to land for Beta 2.

    • Linux web fonts (bug 458169)won’t land until after Beta 2.


Layout 1.9.1 Update


Content 1.9.1 Update


JS 1.9.1


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


General 1.9.1 Updates

  • offline cache, dcamp:

  • localStorage, honzab:
  • HTML5 drag-drop:


Security


Security Reviews


Roundtable

27-October-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-10-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2008-10-27

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International) <– NOTE new extension number
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada) <– NOTE new extension number
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

TIME CHANGE NOTICE: Daylight Saving Time (DST) ends this Sunday. New meeting time next week will be 21:00 UTC.

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla You can also view previous meetings from the “on-demand” button on the Air Mozilla player. Meetings will be posted for on-demand consumption shortly after the meeting conclusion.


Friends of the Tree

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 2.0.0.18 / 3.0.4 / Thunderbird 2.0.0.18

  • Firefox 2.0.0.18 / 3.0.4 mostly froze over the weekend.

  • Need to take one or two more patches
  • Slipping hand off to build by a day or two (aiming for one day)
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.18 proposed schedule on the wiki. Highly dependent on Firefox 2.0.0.18.
  • Also, a proposed schedule for Firefox 2.0.0.19 and 3.0.5 (before the end of the year) is being worked on.


Gecko 1.9.1


Firefox 3.1

  • 100k users on beta 1 (last week was underreported)

    • lots of on positive press for performance

    • accounting for small percentage of support incidents
  • work underway for beta 2

    • fsync work has yet to land, hopefully will happen soon (still ironing out perf regression costs)

    • private browsing mode is “so close”, should see it soon
    • additional bookmarking features and finish up on <video> coming
    • string freeze is Thursday, October 30th at 11:59pm PDT
    • code freeze is Tuesday, November 4th at 11:59pm PST


TB 3

  • 3.0b1 work continues…


Mobile


IT

  • MDC (developer.mozilla.org) was moved completely behind SSL


Release Engineering


QA

Firefox 2.0.0.x, 3.0.x [ss, abillings]

Firefox 3.1

  • Feature Testing

    • Worker Threads: Contacted bent@mozilla.com. Updating the test plan. Passing mochi tests. Needs mozmill tests. [adam]

    • HTML 5 Drag and Drop: Completed 50% of the test cases [jmaher]
    • Media Queries: Completed 50% of the test cases [jmaher]
    • Drag and Drop tabs: Strong progress on the test plan. Completed 12 tests. [juanb]
    • Offline Mode: Strong progress on the test plan. Completed 10 tests. [juanb]
    • Overall: test planning is 78% done, 593 test cases planned. Test cases are 35% complete.
  • Filed another 11 Leak Bugs last week from the Top Site Run (Global 500), apparently regressions on 1.9.1 [tomcat]
  • Worked with Andreas Gal, Brendan, and David Anderson trying to figure out the last remaining (known) JIT crash blocker [stephend]

Mobile

  • Ad-hoc user testing on post-Alpha 1 Fennec builds [abillings]

  • Getting Sisysphus working on Fennec [bc, jmaher]
  • Updated mobile test plan for M10
  • Got full fennec support for global500 and leaktests running on Fennec-linux. [jmaher]

WebDev Testing [stephend]

  • Community Store: Wrote a test plan and sent it around for feedback/approval.

  • Verified bugs for AMO and SUMO

Test Automation

  • Working on the modal dialog problems people have been running into in Mozmill. [adam]

  • Successfully collected coverage data for the JavaScript code in Firefox. Haven’t made a full run of the tests yet for full JS coverage stats. Now we have the ability to measure, C/C++ and JS code coverage!

Community

  • Led a QA track for in the Mozilla EU Camp in Barcelona, Spain Oct 325-26. Presentations included: Memory Leak testing, General QA activities, L10n QA activities, etc. [marcia, ctalbert, tomcat, martijn]

  • QMO2: Major bugs have been resolved. IT is preparing to launch site this week to replace old QMO. We’re going from alpha to beta with this latest release… [jay]
    • Added QMO Content about Bugzilla Queries [juanb]


Security

  • Metrics document in review

  • Security bug backlog reduction
  • Security bug reporting and dashboard


Marketing/PR

PR

Events
Europe:

  • Moz Camp, Barcelona, Spain, Oct. 25 – 26 – Huge success. See Jane’s blog.

  • Internet CEE Conference, Warsaw, Poland Oct 28: Seth Bindernagel will hold a session on the Importance of Localization in Open Source

U.S. and more:

  • MexicoWeb 2.0, Cancun, Mexico, Nov. 3 – 4: Chofmann and John Resig attending with Mozilla Mexico community

  • Nonprofit Software Development Summit, Nov. 17 – 19, Oakland, CA: Please check it out if you are local!
  • Green Festival, San Francisco, Nov. 14 – 16: Mozilla will have passes for 200 people. Please sign up to help!
  • Mashup Camp, Mountain View, Nov. 17 – 19: Dave Camp is participating in a session on persistence.
  • FOSSCamp, Mountain View, Dec. 5 – 6: Organized by Ubuntu folks. Please check it out if you are local!

Q3 Survey Results

Impact Mozilla

  • Initial submission deadline was last Friday (10/24). We received 60+ submissions on that day alone.

  • The marketing team will soon be selecting and contacting the finalists.

Community Store – Coming Soon!


Support


Metrics


Evangelism

  • Blizzard @ NSF/tools event

  • Documentation work for Firefox 3.1 continues with this past week spent mostly on further updates to the audio and video element documentation, as well as some work on Storage API changes.
  • MDC was updated to Deki 8.08.1 last week. There is a regression that broke the RSS feeds; MindTouch is fixing this and we should be pulling an update within the next couple of days.
  • Deb is away from Oct 31 – Nov 18. Chris Blizzard will be taking over about:mozilla newsletter duties during that time.
  • Add-ons update plan is in progress, lots of stuff done over the last week including the add-ons blog from Morgamic + others. Rey will be posting an update every week in the lead up to FF 3.1.


Labs


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO


L10n


Foundation Updates


Highlights

  • The evening before FSOSS 2008 we hosted a “friends of Mozilla” reception in the Toronto office for about forty open source project leaders and academics.

  • Mark participated in the Mozilla 2010 goals session at MozCamp Europe; notes are under each of the five headings of the goals section of the 2010 goals wiki page.
  • Mark and David blogged about moving our part of the 2010 goals discussion ahead; we invite and welcome contributions from others.
  • Zak created a draft wiki page for the Mozilla 2010 goals conversation.


Program activities


Public communications and community outreach


Upcoming activities

  • We have a Mozilla Foundation staff retreat planned for late October (October 28-30, Mountain View).

  • Zak will deliver the opening keynote for the AFUP (French PHP User Group) Forum PHP conference (December 8, Paris)


Roundtable

  • Layout team introductions for AirMozilla video


Other Business

22-October-2008

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2008-10-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2008-10-22

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL) <– note new extension: x92 instead of x91!
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 2.0.0.x / 3.0.x

  • Mostly on track to completely freeze on Friday

  • Release date targeted at November 12. See the Releases page for more information.
  • Using the new criteria for triaging. Still working out the details for “appeal” process.


Support

Weekly common issues

New issue for commentary:

  • Error/alert box with just “0” when installing Firefox.


Firefox 3.1

Beta 1

  • about 20k users

  • low compared to Firefox 3 betas, though

Beta 2


Support

  • 3.1 cases are a vast minority of cases on Support (1%), about 25% on Hendrix.


Localization

l10n-merged Firefox 3.1 linux builds available on the l10n server, details in Axel’s blog

45 locales with localizer commits:
be ca cs de en-GB eo es-AR es-ES et eu fi fr fy-NL ga-IE gu-IN he hi-IN hu id it ja ja-JP-mac ko lt mk nb-NO nl nn-NO oc pa-IN pl pt-BR pt-PT ro ru si sk sq sr sv-SE te tr uk zh-CN zh-TW

18 locales with just Axel:
af ar as bg cy da el gl is ka kn ku ml mn mr sl ta th

2 repositories to migrate:
bn-IN lv

Outreach starting tomorrow, with better tooling now that l10n-merge works.


QA

  • Recruiting community testing

    • Search Widget (Henrik) and Color Management (Ezadkiel)

    • Additional release testing on Solaris (Sun China Team)
  • Fx3.1 Feature testing progress spreadsheet
    • Testplan completion %: 67% (last week: 64%)

    • Estimated testcases: 444 (last week: 414)
    • Testcase completion %: 29% (last week: 27%)
      • Targeted % by Beta 2 ship: Testplans 100% | Testcases 50%

      • Targeted % by RC1 ship: Testplans 100% | Testcases 90%
    • Will present open issues and any flags at next week’s platform meeting
  • As always, Feature Testplans and progress here.
  • Plans for a Private Browsing Testday pass on 10/31
  • Running continuously Global-500 Tests on all Platforms with search for Leaks/Assertions/Crash (Tomcat)


Release Engineering

  • what machines can we mothball *today*, before EOL of FF2.0.0.x, FF3.0.x?


Evangelism

  • Rey will be working with the add-ons folks.

  • Add-ons blog is up on blogs.mozilla.com
  • Chris and Mike are working on stats + tools
  • Dave Townsend and Mark Finkle will be handling tech questions and work with sheppy


Marketing/PR


Roundtable

21-October-2008

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2008-10-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2008-10-21

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> stefanh


Action Items

  • any?


SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 2

Bug Queries

open blockers
all blockers
blocker requests

  • Freeze target is 18th November 2008.


Longer-Term SeaMonkey 2 Planning

open wanted
wanted requests

Major wanted/needed features:

  • bug 381157 Download manager

    • Updated patch[es] on Bug to Hg repository.

    • Have some local changes to account for architectural changes.
    • Examining both xpfe/ and toolkit/ based code for other locations that may need fixing to ease final review.
    • No progress dialogs yet, nor xpfe-like Download Manager window.
  • bug 390025 Kill-wallet (password manager)
    • Standard8 has started on some test cases for existing code (to provide reassurance that we end up migrating properly).
  • bug 382187 Places history
    • small pieces of local improvements on KaiRo’s machine, but waiting for review comments before doing more work.
  • bug 36810 Session restore
    • waiting for review, patch for turning to error page also ready (bug 413385). Needs help with css/ui for error page patch.
  • bug 394288 / bug 413385 Toolbar customization
    • The toolbarbutton size/mode sub-bug has a few more nits to address.

    • No progress at the moment. I’ll resume working on this at the end of October. Ratty.
    • Toolkit bug 407725 is still waiting for reviews from gavin.
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update
    • No progress reports available.
  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac
    • Nothing started yet, but stefanh will look at it.
  • bug 453797 (Port bug 392303 (Simplify installer changes) to SeaMonkey installer)
    • mcsmurf is making progress, patch almost ready for review. The patch is quite big, though – need to check what is the best way to get this reviewed. Will try to split the patch for easier review.
  • bug 433254 Implement Mac shell service for SeaMonkey
    • There’s a WIP patch in the bug, no further progress expected for a couple of months. However, since we have a structure now (windows shellservice), work shouldn’t be too difficult.
  • Need to handle bug 420506 (Thuderbird rdf-kill)
    • Two bugs filed to ensure it’s on the tracking-list:

      • bug 460952 Ensure Thunderbird kill-rdf doesn’t break SeaMonkey

      • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status)


ajschult


biesi


Callek

  • Probably unable to attend this meeting again :(

  • Worked on DLMGR more
  • Actively reviewing patches to comm-central’s client.py (and watching other build* bugs in that area)


IanN

  • bug 456668 – Multiple forwarded (attached) messages give the same name – been digging into that one with help from bienvenu.

  • Reviewing various help patches.


KaiRo

  • Some build system cleanup and sync work

  • bug 459413 Geolocation prompt – ran into problems with what seemed to be a simple patch
  • Updated both my themes (EarlyBlue and LCARStrek) for 2.0a1
  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work


mcsmurf

  • Continued working on bug 453797 (Port Bug 392303 (Simplify installer changes) to SeaMonkey installer), patch is almost ready for review, need to fix some small things

  • The patch will probably be one big patch, will try to separate the patch into smaller patches


Misak

  • bug 36810 (session restore)

  • bug 459550 (Port Bug 448976 (turn the Session Restore prompt into an error page) to SeaMonkey)
  • bug 425480 (non-ASCII characters should be decoded in the urlbar)
  • bug 455877 (port Bug 254714 to SeaMonkey)
  • Bug reporting and bug triage.


Mnyromyr

  • just reviews – RL overflow ;-) ; probably better after Moz Camp Europe


MReimer


Neil


Ratty


sgautherie


Standard8

  • Gave gristmill a try on Thunderbird. Potentially good QA tool, give feedback to them and start using it.

  • Thunderbird release driving work now almost zero, back to fixing bugs!


stefanh

  • Started to work on some Help bugs


wladow


Any other business?

  • Someone will need to look into porting kill-rdf stuff to SeaMonkey, as the kill-rdf repository is now at the point where the main folder setup is now entirely divorced from RDF. I (jcranmer) would nominate such a bug to be blocking SM 2.0, but I am not a SM developer.

    • If this repo landing breaks seamonkey, then it is *definately* blocking, and I’d suggest blocking the landing. (–Justin Wood (Callek))

    • If not, I’d say “wanted SM2″ but not “blocking” ;-) (–Justin Wood (Callek))
    • Two bugs filed (bug 460952 and bug 460953, this topic is now in the Longer-Term SeaMonkey 2 Planning list.
  • Need to get Venkman to work properly again on trunk.
    • At least some parts depends on js fixes in mozilla-central.

    • Who works on Venkman these days?
  • We need to look into porting thundertab (tabbed mail interface) as Lightning currently relies on that Thunderbird feature.
  • IanN, KaiRo and Mnyromyr will be in Barcelona this weekend.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2008-10-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2008-10-21

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details


Agenda


Calls For Help

  • davida would appreciate assistance on the autoconfiguration branch. (The awesome create-a-new-account screen where you just enter your e-mail address and it figures out most/all of the details for you.) One particular area that could use assistance is handling certificates in the connection detection logic.


Action Items


New

  • davida: needs to identify the major work items for thunderbird 3 and break them down by the beta/release they will be in.

  • From the Alpha 3 post-mortem (individuals should take your own items and go through them):
    • bienvenu: Pick an intermediate milestone for landing most of the big items.

    • sipaq: Document details on what should happen before, during and after the string freeze, and the effects on developers at the relevant times.
    • wsmwk: Put up tracking bug for issues from releases during litmus tests.
    • wsmwk: Need to define what tests (e.g. smoketests/basic functional/unit tests etc) should go where and where they are filed.
    • standard8: Generate some gristmill example scripts, and encourage others to use gristmill and file bugs to help improve it.
    • standard8: Send mail to release-drivers, do we need some overall cleanup of relnote bugs?
    • tb-drivers: Go through current MailNews/TB relnote bugs and work out what is really necessary.


Open

  • From the Alpha 3 post-mortem:

    • davida: Major items for beta 1 to be nailed down asap

      • much of this is done
  • dmose: drive JS-in-mail discussion
  • davida: will escalate issue of separate messaging crash-stats server


Closed

  • From the Alpha 3 post-mortem:

    • gozer: Ensure there is a bug for server-side Mac Symbols not working for intel builds. bug 459397

    • standard8: File bugs for
      • hook php generation into builds (file sizes/locales list). bug 460761

      • Check product-details interaction with mozillamessaging site. bug 460759
    • standard8: File a bug for beta 1 start page and attach files we were going to do for last release. bug 460763
  • gozer pinged mrz about separate messaging crash-stats server, davida escalation still open
  • dmose did another round of updates on reviewers; see newsgroup discussion


Thunderbird 3 Beta 1

  • bienvenu is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer
  • Proposed String freeze date: 2008-11-13
  • Code Freeze date: 2008-11-18
  • davida will identify the must-absolutely-have items for beta 1 (part of the new action item planning what must happen by when)

    • Proposed intermediate target (to prevent everything either landing at the end or missing) for major items: Friday, October 31

      • GloDa

        • Definitely land with the pref turning it off, ideally with it turned on
      • AutoConfig
        • Definitely land as an additional menu item, not yet replacing account wizard
      • Kill-RDF
        • SeaMonkey note: need to land ASAP as it may cause problems
      • Cross-folder views


Thunderbird 3

  • Draft Thunderbird:Thunderbird3:DevRoadmap identifies major work items on the plate for Tb3 — much of it needs scheduling, owning, breakdown.

    • folks interested in helping with front-end stuff, some simple, should ask in #maildev


QA Updates

  • crash stats

    • no recent Mac crashes from any recent builds

    • topcrash queries still being worked, but looks like they are close(?)
  • bugday last week 10-16 and this week 10-23 continue focus on dupeme bugs. chart
  • notable:


Roundtable

rkent 
getting review time is increasingly a problem


Status Updates


davida


dmose
  • made another update pass through the mail & mailnews module owners

  • a bunch of calendar diagnosis work
  • reviewed aimScreenName regressions (bug 413260)
  • corresponded with LookOut author re ongoing work
  • proofread/edited Thunderbird interview for publishing
  • more FSOSS talk prep
  • more GloDa review
  • driving work
  • at Toronto office / speaking at FSOSS conference the rest of this week


nth10sd

QA’ed initial Lightning_on_Thunderbird_by_default fun:

  • bug 460403 – “ASSERTION: null monitor: ‘mMonitor'”

  • bug 460405 – “ASSERTION: Expected only one call!: ‘!gCallCount++'”
  • bug 460406 – “ASSERTION: can’t get xpt search path”
  • bug 460408 – Shutdown crash at nsXPConnect::GetRuntime()
  • bug 460409 – Replace “undefined” with something else

Patch:

(I’ll be posting my JS efforts here since JS whether in mail or not, does seem interesting.)


jcranmer


Standard8
  • Reviews & Driving

    • Warning: there are several large patches outstanding on my review queue, reviews for big patches may be slow.
  • Helping gozer with getting bloat tests set up.
  • Finished up alpha 3 stuff (post-mortem).
  • Password Manager
    • Written some test cases for existing password manager code, will be using to ensure everything is correct when we migrate.

    • Also pushed some patches to the qaserver] for standalone pop3 & smtp server.
      • Considering using variant of this for extending bloat test code.
  • Misc
    • bug 459784 Fixed Error: uncaught exception: 2147500034, and switch the default commandline handler to use XPCOMUtils.jsm


asuth

(will not be on the call)

  • gloda refactoring/architecture-change implementation completed, just debugging and tying up loose ends.

    • need to get exptoolbar/thunderbar happy with the new code

    • need to mark existing review items that the refactoring resolved as fixed, plus try and resolve other easily resolved issues. then help drive in to the trunk, initially disabled.
  • some testing/debugging to ensure resilience and that we don’t leak memory/resources hang on shutdown.


bienvenu
  • Reviews and Driving

  • 1.8.1.18 patch landed
  • Cross-folder threading patch under review bug 379806
  • Kill-rdf repo making progress – SeaMonkey folks are investigating the impact on SeaMonkey.
  • Fixed some corrupt message thread issues, bug 457052


emre
  • Worked on

    • bug 457342: Error handling improvement in auto-sync: in review

    • bug 547452: Leaking on shutdown problem: in review
    • bug 440794: Async send: Work in progress
    • bug 257942: Work in progress, learning a lot about XBL, and XUL. Planning to have the first working demo by the end of this week.


gozer
  • Build

    • Leak testing looking good, got Linux & OS X builders up on MozillaTest

      • Ready to move them to the Thunderbird tinderbox tree?

      • Graph Server support should be possible
    • Sunbird nightlies should have self-update starting tonight
    • hg.mozilla.org problems have caused a lot of breakage this week
      • Investigating a way to run our own, safer, hg clone to avoid this
  • Systems

    • Vancouver office has it’s own dedicated server

      • Will become the office phone server among other things, stay tuned.

      • Still needs configuring, but it’s running
      • It’s under David’s desk
    • Mozilla Messaging top-level svn area on svn.mozilla.org
      • Still need moving the corporate site content in there


clarkbw
  • Leaving Thursday the 23rd for EU_MozCamp_2008

    • Working from Barcelona for a few days during the week

    • Will be back in Vancouver on night of Wednesday the 29th
  • Working on
  • Spent a lot of time looking into space management issues w/ POP3


wsmwk
  • bug triage

    • reviewed all OS=windows server bugs

    • reviewed confirmed dataloss bugs – most or all “well defined” bugs are in the blocking-thunderbird3 list as approved – which is great!
    • still working profile bugs
  • 3.0a3 post mortem meeting
  • bugday


beckley


Penelope
  • 0.5 beta of Eudora 8 near:

    • Synced to TB 3.0a3 source code

    • Mac dmg background image updated to work with Applications alias
    • Auto-naming filters almost complete: bug 457745
    • A couple of importing bugs fixed:
      • bug 452296: Old sent box not imported after updating Eudora

      • bug 460929: Eudora migration doesn’t show items being imported


KaiRo


rkent


rebron
  • Continued work with spreadthunderbird. See progress at: stage.spreadthunderbird.com Big thanks to gozer for the server support and jamey, paul, and ken for cranking out the design and web site elements.

  • Continuing work with web site redesign. Completed second round of design reviews and finalizing designs and will be going into design production.
  • PR activities.


mkmelin


sipaq


Attendees

dmose, Standard8, bienvenu, emre, gozer, clarkbw, wsmwk, beckley, rkent, rebron, mkmelin, sipaq

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2008-10-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2008-10-21

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Details

  • Tuesday – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 19:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S – <script> conference room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel


Notices / Schedule

  • Beta 2 Schedule

    • en-US string freeze is Thursday, October 30th at 11:59pm PDT

    • code freeze is Tuesday, November 4th at 11:59pm PDT
  • Please take a look at the feature list and get things missing added, and update status for things you own: Firefox3.1/Features#Gecko_1.9.1
  • See the security review schedule page to get your review scheduled ASAP!


Firefox 3.1 Update

Places Fsync-reduction Changes

  • Goal: reduce fsyncs by writing to the disk less often, reducing hangs/freezes/sluggishness while browsing (especially hurting mobile, usb and some linux).

  • Approach: keep non-critical history data in temporary tables, periodically flushing to permanent tables in the background.
  • Problems
    • Ts (bug 459197)

      • Initial landing caused a regression of ~3% on linux and ~4% on windows (data)

      • With fixes, still seeing regressions: (data)
        • Linux is at 1-2% (30-40ms)

        • Windows XP is at ~2% (~20ms)
        • Windows Vista is at 1.2-2.5% (7-15ms) depending on which boxes you look at
    • Tp (bug 459235)
      • Initial landing caused a regression of about ~3% on OS X; possible regression on windows (data)

      • With fixes, possibly only small regression on mac, and ~1% win on linux (data)
  • Solutions
    • This work is not going to make 3.1; push to next release and make no improvements in this area

    • slip beta 2 until we get the performance issues fixed with other performance improvements
    • let this work land and accept the fact that we’ll take some small hits in some performance benchmarks


GFX 1.9.1 Update


Mac OS X 1.9.1 Update

  • working on blockers

  • Josh working on tests and various plugin bugs as well
  • further filesystem work still in review


Layout 1.9.1 Update


Content 1.9.1 Update


JS 1.9.1

m-c blockers hurting daily browsing:

Blocking JIT by default:

Not blocking JIT by default:


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


General 1.9.1 Updates

  • offline cache, dcamp:

  • localStorage, honzab:
  • HTML5 drag-drop:


Security


Security Reviews


Roundtable

  • feedback on try-talos? Please add to bug 461012

  • mothballing 1.8 / 1.9.0 machines?
  • any upcoming tool changes after branch for FF3.1? Nope.

20-October-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-10-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2008-10-20

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International) <– NOTE new extension number
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada) <– NOTE new extension number
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla You can also view previous meetings from the “on-demand” button on the Air Mozilla player. Meetings will be posted for on-demand consumption shortly after the meeting conclusion.


Friends of the Tree

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 2.0.0.18 / 3.0.4

  • Code freeze for 2.0.0.18/3.0.4 is *this Friday*, though we’re pushing to get most checkins in by tomorrow.

  • Release scheduled for November 12


Gecko 1.9.1


Firefox 3.1

  • 17k+ users on beta 1

    • feedback generally positive
  • work underway for beta 2

    • string freeze is Thursday, October 30th at 11:59pm

    • code freeze is Tuesday, November 4th at 11:59pm
    • will talk tomorrow at developer’s meeting about fsync issue and tradeoffs there


TB 3


Mobile

Fennec User Experience Alpha released. w00t!

Great video walkthrough by Madhava.

Lots
of
great
blog
posts

Neutral to positive reviews


IT

  • Hg timeout issues (bug 460054) – Hg frontend is now being served out of read only servers. Issues with builds timing out are now resolved.

  • Conference bridge extension is changing to x92, because of people inside Mozilla mis-dialing 911 trying to get into the conference system. Both x91 and x92 work currently, but x91 will go away in a few weeks (it will have a recording informing of the new number).


Release Engineering

  • getting ready for FF3.1relbranch work after beta2

  • fyi: larger pool handed 8 builds-at-the-same-time earlier this morning
  • unittest and build slaves being merged this week, should be able to handler even more.
  • downtime tomorrow morning for buildbot upgrade, see newsgroup for details.
  • RelEng meeting in Toronto last week.


QA

Firefox 2.0.0.x/3.0.x – Finished triaging most of the wanted+ list. [ss]

Firefox 3.1

  • Beta 1 release testing: Update testing, live testing, and released on Tuesday!

  • Feature testing
    • Places: 20% of test cases done. Waiting on tag auto-complete work to land [tracy]

    • Addons: test plan is 70% complete; awaiting feature completion in beta 2. [tchung]
    • Video and audio tags: Created a dozen testcases in litmus [tchung]
    • Multiple backgrounds: writing reftests for this [mw22]
    • Private Browsing: Test Plan is 75% complete. Continuing to test tryserver builds as feature has not landed. [marcia]
  • Running with JIT enabled and was able to reproduce a crash on cars.com [marcia, stephend]
  • Lots of bug fix verifications
  • Running i-Bench, Global 500 tests, JS tests [tomcat]

Webdev testing

Mobile: tested many releases/platforms to qualify fennec alpha 1 release. [jmaher, ctalbert, abillings] Ran Global 500 tests fennec/linux. [jmaher]

Test Dev

  • Code Coverage: preliminary C/C++ coverage is 34% when just starting the browser, visiting a few sites, going to AMO, and then shutting down. We get 50% coverage when running all the automated mochitests. Next steps are to run any other unittest tests (reftests, xpcshell, or any others not in the unittest framework) and setup the instrumentation to measure JS coverage.[mnandigama]

  • Created test cases for 8 JS bugs [bc]
  • Updated Spider to support Fennec testing [bc]

Community

  • QA Companion: Recruited two volunteers to help with QA Companion extension maintenance and develpoment. Put together a Design Brainstorming Center and a Hacking Guide for the tool.

  • Test day Friday was a little light. See results. Top tester was a new community member, nick=stephen. Thanks Stephen!!


Security

No updates.


Marketing/PR

PR

Events
Europe:

  • Open Source World Conference, Malaga, Spain, Oct. 20 – 21: Tristan keynoting.

  • Web 2.0 Berlin, Oct 21 – 23: John Lilly is keynoting.
  • Moz Camp, Barcelona, Spain, Oct. 25 – 26
  • Mozilla Labs EU Innovation Tour: Aza Raskin & Dan Mills will be in Europe from Oct 20-26 for both press meetings and labs meetups.
  • Internet CEE Conference, Warsaw, Poland Oct 28: Seth Bindernagel will hold a session on the Importance of Localization in Open Source

U.S. and more:

  • Phreak, Velore, India: Hosting remote presentation on Labs with Jono DiCarlo tonight at 7:00 p.m. in Building K.

  • FSOSS, Oct. 23 – 24, Seneca College, Toronto – Several Mozilla speakers!
  • Nonprofit Software Development Summit, Nov. 17 – 19, Oakland, CA: Please check it out if you are local!
  • Green Festival, San Francisco, Nov. 14 – 16: Mozilla will have passes for 200 people. Please let Mary or Julie know if you want to attend.
  • FOSSCamp, Mountain View, Dec. 5 – 6: Organized by Ubuntu folks. Please check it out if you are local!
  • Next events triage will be held on October 22nd, 2008 at 10am PDT. 650-903-0800, ext 91, id 248

Impact Mozilla

  • Initial submission deadline closes this Friday, 10/24.

  • We’re currently receiving about 10 submissions each day
  • The marketing team will be sorting through the proposed strategies/ideas next week

Community Store – Coming Soon!

  • Quick background here: http://musingt.com/?p=30

  • Open-sourcing t-shirt designs, where anyone can upload designs, create and customize their own products through Zazzle.
  • Store to be launched in the next month, so stay tuned for more info.


Support

Plans for next Support Firefox Day (Friday, November 21):

  • Main topic of SFD: Localizing SUMO

  • Secondary topic: Mozilla 2010 Goals
  • We’re planning to have a 3-hour event in 3 different timeslots (Asia, Europe and the Americas)
  • Sessions:
    • Localizing SUMO: Getting started and translating your first article. (cww)

    • Keeping your translations and locale up to date: finding out when things change and working with your locale to complete translation. (cilias)
    • Mozilla 2010 goals (djst+Mitchell leading intro?). A roundtable/open discussion on 2010 goals for Mozilla.


Metrics

  • As part of our evaluation of website optimization tools, we’re planning to roll-out an initial test this week on a single page at mozilla.com. An introduction of our plans is here.


Evangelism

  • Working with Morgamic and co. to get add-ons changes for 3.1 documented and communicated to add-ons developers.
  • RRRT: No surprises for 3.1 beta!


Labs

  • second preview of Snowl 0.2 released; more info in the blog post


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO


L10n

l10n team meeting in Paris, real updates next week.


Foundation Updates


Highlights

  • Powered by Mozilla: David updated the Map of the Mozpad Universe page to create a list of potential contacts.

  • Zak continued research who is doing what in open source education, and created a public wiki page for this project.
  • Silvia Pfeiffer was featured in a Linux.com story about her Mozilla Foundation-funded work on video accessibility.
  • Foundation team had prepared for 2010 Goals conversations. We will be posting and asking people to participate online in coming days, and also at MozCamp Europe.


Program activities

  • Education

    • Mark met with Dave Humphrey to talk about future Seneca open source course programs and Mozilla education overall.
  • Grants
  • CAs
    • Frank decided to reschedule public discussion of the CA inclusion request from Microsec Ltd for later this year, after getting machine translation of Microsec CPS documents and a final resolution on the Microsec OCSP issue.


Public communications and community outreach

  • Powered by Mozilla

  • David posted proposed Powered by Mozilla design guidelines and a draft landing page.
  • www.mozilla.org
    • David continued with archiving, redirect and bug triage work.

    • David had a call with Gandalf about contribute.mozilla.org and started helping to QA the site
  • Other
    • Gerv represented the Mozilla Foundation at the mySociety fifth birthday event (October 14, London).


Upcoming activities

  • Mark and Frank will attend and participate in the FSOSS 2008 conference at Seneca College (October 23-24, Toronto).

  • Mark will attend EU Mozilla Camp (October 25-26, Barcelona).
  • We have a Mozilla Foundation staff retreat planned for late October (October 28-30, Mountain View).
  • Zak will deliver the opening keynote for the AFUP (French PHP User Group) Forum PHP conference (December 8, Paris)


Roundtable


Other Business

15-October-2008

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2008-10-15

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2008-10-15

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 2.0.0.x / 3.0.x

  • Code freeze for 2.0.0.18 and 3.0.4 is next Friday, October 24.

  • Aiming to ship release on November 12.
  • Using new criteria from dev-planning post to triage approval requests.
    • Please re-nominate if you feel that your bug should get it and it was minussed. Include rationale as well.


Support

  • New support issue tracking and metrics tracking on the [Weekly common issues page

    • Details on how it all works

    • Now using Forums as baseline source of new issues.
    • Post comments, questions or help lead followup on the specific threads.
  • This week’s issues:
    • Prefs.js not saving

    • Norton-like issues but not caused by Norton (locked places.sqlite)
    • Slow loading pages
    • Login issues
  • Norton 360 update


Firefox 3.1

Firefox 3.1 beta 1:

  • Shipped yesterday, so far so good. Tracking feedback.

Firefox 3.1 beta 2:

  • en-US string freeze is Thursday, October 30th at 11:59pm PDT

  • code freeze is Tuesday, November 4th at 11:59pm PDT
  • Release scheduled for sometime following that.


Support

Tracking new issues in Forums and LiveChat, working with RRRT also.


Localization

No firefox 3.1 b2pre l10n builds on ftp, bug 459813, not all version numbers got patched on Benjamin’s temporary setup.


QA

  • bug 460062 – No Mac or Linux nightly builds generated on 10/15/08.

  • Beta 1 shipped. Testing completed in 5 days.
  • Fx3.1 Feature testing progress spreadsheet
    • Testplan completion %: 64% (last week: 58%)

    • Estimated testcases: 414 (last week: 382)
    • Testcase completion %: 27% (last week: 18%)
      • Targeted % by Beta 2 ship: Testplans 100% | Testcases 50%

      • Targeted % by RC1 ship: Testplans 100% | Testcases 90%
  • As always, Feature Testplans and progress here.


Release Engineering

  • discussion about renaming from “pa-IN” to “pa” ? bug 380287

  • cover for bsmedberg’s l10n machines
  • starting l10n nightly work, as that tinderbox-free code is now running on 1.9
  • Solaris version of FF3.1b1 bug 449540


Evangelism

  • Tons of docs from sheppy are done for the beta – thanks to everyone

  • Good launch of beta1 with developer notes – lots of people are picking it up
  • Need to get to Beta 2 – want to focus on TM and new SVG + CSS features so looking for demos, etc.


Marketing/PR

  • shappy joining calls for pr

  • 3.1b1 coverage largely centered around speed and geolocation


Roundtable

  • enabling unittests for tracemonkey project branch?

    • Will talk to shaver/brendan/sayrer

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress