Meeting Notes

15-January-2009

Firefox 3.1 Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-14

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Firefox3.1/StatusMeetings/2009-01-14

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – Firefox 3 – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel

NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes


Firefox 2.0.0.x / 3.0.x

  • Firefox 2.0.0.20 -> 3.0.5 Major Update

    • Shipped January 8 (six days ago)

    • Uptake isn’t very good yet, but still monitoring
  • Firefox 3.0.6
    • Code frozen (minus one bug, which we may or may not take)

    • QA is currently testing
    • If all goes well, will start builds Monday, January 19
    • Aiming for final release date in early February
  • Firefox 3.0.7 (no wiki link yet!)
    • Targeting one month after 3.0.6

    • Look for a post to dev-planning about final schedule by Friday
    • Planning to re-open the tree shortly after builds start for 3.0.6


Firefox 3.1 Development

Development Update

  • large outstanding set of P1 blockers (lion’s share in TraceMonkey/JS Engine)

  • moving code freeze for Beta 3 to Jan 25th to contain
  • goal will be to get to 0 P1s in all components ASAP and then cut into P2s until freeze; this should prevent significant delay to final release date for Firefox 3.1

(see development meeting notes for more details)

Daily users

  • ~ 250k users on the Firefox 3.1 Beta 2

  • ~ 11k users on Shiretoko nightlies
  • ~ 5k users on Minefield nightlies

Beta 3
New proposed schedule based on code slip:

  • String freeze will maintain in place

  • Code freeze is January 25th, 11:59pm PDT
  • QA Start is January 27th, 9:00am PDT
  • Release is targeted at Feb 2nd, noon PDT


Support

  • Malware reports on the rise (redirected searches/pages, mostly, but also unblockable popups) 10 in a small sampling this week.

  • Do we have “official” things to say for users of unsupported OSes?


Localization

Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 status 
  • 53 locales opted in and green

  • 4 locales green, not opted in (gl (red on windows), id, ka, uk)
  • 10 locales building and red, -2 far fetched (as, ta), -2 on the hook (ml, sl), further poke to bg, cy, da, ko, mn, oc?
string freeze break requests 
gather a list of bugs for triage for breaks post Beta 3 by next week. Please CC l10n@mozilla.com and add [missed string freeze] to the whiteboard to make them show up on this query


QA

  • Beta 3 Testplan posted

  • Firefox 3.1 Feature testing progress:
    • Testplans (92% completed)

    • Testcases (81% completed)
  • Need to verify 373 fixed1.9.1 bugs
    • Will be creating a QMO project to leverage community help
  • Organizing a testweek on Places Testing in QMO (tracy)
  • Major Update test run of 3.0 -> 3.1b3 (ETA mid-late jan)
  • Converting Fx3.1 smoketests to Mozmill automation this quarter


Release Engineering

  • Formal “handover to build” date? Sunday afternoon PST is better NZ time. Do code freeze earlier on Sat maybe?

    • builds needed by QA before 9am PST Tuesday 27th.
  • l10n improvements, all nightlies on all branches now good.
  • two unexpected downtimes since last week, all appears ok now, but let us know…


Add-Ons

  • Add-Ons are now 54% compatible with Firefox 3.1 (exactly like a week ago).

  • Add-Ons review queue is beyond 600 nominated and updated Add-Ons. Details at Cesar Oliveira’s post.
  • Two official AMO blog posts on the topic: from Nick and Rey


Partners

  • Yahoo! pushing fix for bug 471816 on 2-Feb-2009, and will work with us on QA beforehand.


Evangelism

  • On the chopping block to work with slater / bottoms on perf messaging.

  • Docs are in good shape
  • Add-ons manual would be nice to have, but unlikely to happen by the end of Feb


Marketing/PR

  • Working draft of Web site update plan posted [1]


Roundtable

  • dveditz to drive a project to see if we can have a “check your plugins” site where users can go to determine if their plugins are up to date, and if not, find links to updates (see bug 391433 for details)

    • beltzner, johnath, chofmann asked to be cc’d
  • justin agreed to follow up with morgamic to ensure that we could throttle Major Update snippets on a per version / channel basis (to allow users to “Check for Updates…” to Firefox 3.1 on launch day, but not have the offer given to users who do not explicitly check)
  • beltzner to follow up with joduinn, nthomas, axel about code handoff dates

Bugzilla Queries for bug verifications

14-January-2009

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-13

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:01 am

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2009-01-13

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Ratty


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)

  • Summarize SeaMonkey vision thread to useful goals, post them, and get a final series of comments before deciding on them in the Council – KaiRo.


SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 3

Bug Queries

open blockers
all blockers
blocker requests

  • Plans for freeze:

    • Synchronize with Thunderbird. Freeze date is now Thursday 5th February 23:59 PST.
  • Likely new features:
    • Places History (landed).

    • Customizable toolbars (Navigator).
    • Smart Locationbar.
    • Session Store.
    • Tabmail (Tabbed interface in MailNews).
  • Thunderbird freeze date:
    • Proposed: Slushy string freeze from: Monday 2nd February 23:59 PST.

    • Proposed: Firm string freeze and slushy Code freeze from: Thursday 5th February 23:59 PST.


Longer-Term SeaMonkey 2 Planning

open wanted
wanted requests

Major wanted/needed features:

  • bug 381157 Download manager backend.

    • None at the moment.
  • bug 472001 UI for download manager
    • Review comments addressed. Remaining issues to be handled in follow-up bugs.
  • bug 390025 Kill-wallet (password manager).
  • bug 382187 Places history.
    • This has landed as well as the UI for setting the new history preferences.

    • Minor problems still need to be fixed.
  • bug 36810 Session restore.
    • Waiting for reviews.

    • ajschult has made it through most of the code that actually interfaces with SeaMonkey and which is probably the most important part to review carefully. However there is still a substantial amount of sessionstore backend to review.
    • Suggest to rs+ the session store backend on the grounds that it’s been working in Firefox for quite a while and do a post-facto review once ajschult has the time.
    • Neil can work on sr+ in parellel.
  • bug 394288 / bug 413385 Toolbar customization.
    • Patch for bug 413385 is waiting for reviews.

    • Dependent toolkit bug 471508 (Make the toolboxChanged() callback return useful information) filed. Patch is waiting for review.
    • bug 406780 (In OSX The customizeToolbars window should be in a <panel> popup) Instead of working on customizable toolbars for mailnews next, I shall work on getting navigator customizable toolbars working properly on OSX (but I will need someone with OSX to help test my patches) – Ratty.
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update
    • The next step is to file bugs/patches for each sub-module under mozapps/ in order to get reviewed. Ideally I would like a theme person to drive this as I am graphically challenged. Stefanh? – Ratty.
  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac.
    • progress/update?
  • bug 454847 Fishcam update.
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch.
    • helpwanted
  • Handling bug 420506 Thunderbird kill-rdf.
    • Waiting for reviews.

    • bug 460952 Ensure Thunderbird kill-rdf doesn’t break SeaMonkey.
    • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable.
  • bug 415372 Implement Feed Preview.
    • Has patch. Waiting for review.

    • Also waiting for dependent {Bug|471346}} (Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service).
  • bug 460960 Port Thunderbird tabbed interface to MailNews.
    • Waiting for review but there are still outstanding issues.


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult


asrail

  • bug 415372 Submitted another WIP for bug 415372. Waiting the second set of reviews from Callek, but (again) already have addressed most comments from Ratty locally. A final patch depends on the feed shell service, since that will require code changes and test. I’m considering asking for r+sr=Neil with that change pending on next WIP. So I could get a r+sr quickly when bug 471346 lands.


biesi


Callek


IanN

  • bug 471932 Do some tidy up/fixing of feed subscription and related code – fixes lots of issues with the new shared code – waiting on reviews.

  • bug 469498 Combine messagePaneContext and threadPaneContext – revised patch, to include notifyObservers and other suggested changes, waiting for reviews.
  • bug 473011 Get TB to use notifyObservers – waiting for reviews.
  • bug 472098 and bug 473012 Fixing up Lightning to use new combined mailContext menu and observers.
  • Usual reviewing and commenting.


KaiRo

  • bug 458533 Unify status bar progress ID and hiding method with other applications.

  • Investigated what it needs nowadays to make Lightning work, with tabmail and after above patch. It basically is functioning well, although some UI items are missing because of overlays not applying (especially for some menuitems). We also need to show tab bar to be able to open calendar or tasks views.
  • bug 468103 APNG throbber – Looks nice with various OS theme background colours. The bubbles show over the background due to alpha transparency.
  • Wrote up a proposal for future SeaMonkey project vision based on newsgroup threads; mailed to the Council plus a few core developers for comments and signoff. It should appear soon as either an official draft or a signed off final version, depending on Council comments.
  • bug 472001 Download manager UI – Rewrite of the tree-based window based on the toolkit backend, needs a patch from Callek to actually apply to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 468326 UI prefs for places history and its location bar autocomplete.
  • bug 390025 Kill wallet and switch to toolkit login manager – Unbitrotted and/or revamped the SeaMonkey-specific patches.
  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work.


mcsmurf

  • Lots of reviewing patches for installer, rob_strong will probably land those soon (switch installer to Unicode).

  • Fixed bug 470913 Thunderbird does not set itself as default mail client in the Windows start menu, also affected SeaMonkey.
  • Waiting for review on some patches
    • bug 467249 Modify folderWidgets.xml to be able to XBLify the Go menu in MailNews, that’s part of RDF cleanup.

    • bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service, wanted for the feed UI.
    • bug 456009 Reftest testcase, my first reftest ;-)


Misak

  • bug 36810 (session restore). Got one another spin of review from ajschult.

  • bug 459550 (Port Bug 448976 (turn the Session Restore prompt into an error page) to SeaMonkey).
  • bug 425480 (non-ASCII characters should be decoded in the urlbar).
  • bug 455877 (port Bug 254714 to SeaMonkey).
  • Tests for cert error page.
  • In Kiev for two weeks, CCNP training.


Mnyromyr


MReimer


Neil


Ratty

  • bug 471372 Customizable Toolbars in Navigator (Part 2). Patch is waiting for review, but I need to do a new patch with one final tweak or two.

  • bug 471508 (Make the toolboxChanged() callback return useful information) so that we can reset our custom attributes if the reset button was pressed. WIP.
  • Fixed bug 458512 (Polish toEM() and also toOpenWindowByType() should support more parameters).


sgautherie

  • Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey bugs:

    • bug 454129 Use .trim() in Editor/Composer; (Bv1) s/replace/trim/ only.

    • bug 471845 Use .trim*() in SeaMonkey.
  • Fixed Core/… (but SM related) bugs:
    • bug 469331 [SeaMonkey] test_bug458898.html fails; (Cv1) Report the (failing) values
  • And working on other areas… like.
    • infrastructure for running tests.

    • filing bugs for leaks in (TUnit and Reftest) tests.


Standard8

See Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-01-13#Standard8


stefanh


wladow


Any other business?

  • Tinderboxes for trunk (mozilla-central+comm-central) builds.

    • bug 464325 is tracking the hardware. KaiRo has been in contact with sethb. He’s now back from holidays and looking into this.

    • We would probably need some changes in buildbot configs as well.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-13

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-01-13

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Standard8

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to davida for schedule changes/additions.


Calls For Help


Action Items


New


Open


Closed

  • dmose – triage [tb3needs] bugs

  • clarkbw – send mail about drivers about triaging 3.0b1 wanted this week


Thunderbird 3 Beta 2

  • For reference, Gecko 1.9.1b3: Jan 13 Code Freeze, Jan 15 QA, Jan 26 Release according to their plan.
  • clarkbw is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer
  • Proposed: Slushy string freeze from: Monday 2nd February 23:59 PST (three weeks)
  • Proposed: Firm string freeze and slushy Code freeze from: Thursday 5th February 23:59 PST
  • We need to drive bugs with large string changes, e.g., archive, auto config, activity manager. Some way of marking bugs needing strings would be useful.

    • Archive patch landed.

      • One problem with local folders.
    • Activity Manager is awaiting a new patch from Emre.
    • AutoConfig is further away from review – initial patches posted bug 422814.
    • Multiple e-mail addresses and tags needs strings.
      • Multiple e-mails not a priority for b2.


Thunderbird 3

  • time to truly clamp down and ship sooner rather than later, even at the cost of substantial feature cuts

  • we need to get everything tracked in bugzilla
  • we will now have component drivers so that people actually own keeping subsets of bugs well-triaged
    • dmose to propose component assignments tuesday
  • things to file & triage:

    • component drivers: blocking+ / blocking? bugs

    • davida: development roadmap
    • clarkbw: UX bugs from last weeks meeting
    • dmose: message reader bugs, tb3needs bugs
  • new triage rules

    • to stay on blocking+ list, a bug must be owned by someone, even if that’s (temporarily) the component driver

    • for each triaged bug on the blocking list: owner, target milestone, priority (P1 – P3; will be used to move bugs if milestone added)
    • criteria for blocking+: if this were the last blocker, we would make all of our users wait even longer for the existing changes in order to get the fix for this one?
  • to think about:

    • when do we branch? (i suspect immediately after b2)

    • when do we lock down the branch for only blocking+ and approved+ (i suspect a couple of weeks after b2)
    • how do we want to handle existing wanted+ bugs? (throw them off the list?)
    • when should we target having the first round of filing / triage done? (1 week from Tuesday?)
    • There will be a TB 3 beta 3 (milestone created in bugzilla)


QA Updates


Roundtable

  • clarkbw, asuth, davida will be going down to MV this afternoon for several days.

  • davida is expecting to attend FOSDEM & CBIT.


Status Updates


davida
  • recruiting

  • planning 2009
  • long term planning
  • working w/ clarkbw and others re: UX 3.0 planning


dmose
  • goals for next two weeks:

    • improve efficiency of personal daily planning (on track)

    • figure out how to excise more distractions from my day (on track)
    • finish driving tb3 plan towards better alignment with reality (on track)
    • drive JS-in-mailnews patches into the tree (some progress)
    • finish GloDa review (lagging)
    • triage message-reader bugs (not yet started)
  • non-goal activities

    • various strategy work/discussion


nth10sd
  • Wrapping up mozmill work – now sort-of usable in TB.

  • Minor patches – bug 432903 and bug 461317
  • Triage, Rumbling Edge, QA, Mozmill discussions.
  • School starts this week so will be shuffling on and offline.


jcranmer


Standard8

Non-goal activities:

  • Reviews

  • Sorted out blocker lists
  • bug 472492 fix “ex = TypeError: GetDBView() is null” warnings seen in leak & bloat tests

Two week goals (end of week 2):

  • Complete Password Manager migration

    • bug 419595 review comments addressed and patch landed.

    • Investigated and fixed issues with “complicated” usernames (i.e. “foo@bar.com”) as a result of investigating bug 155172.
    • Need clarkbw’s review on bug 239131
    • Need dolske’s review on bug 472824 and to get it landed in 1.9.1 (have now requested blocking).
    • The transition will fix bug 155172, bug 469221 (both blockers) and several other bugs.
  • Complete moving Leak and Bloat to Mozmill (if Mozmill issues are resolved)
    • Issues for running with Mozmill appear to be fixed. Need to spend some time working on the revised test.
  • Investigate if there is a simpler way to switch fully to toolkit autocomplete without doing too much work.
    • Found a fix for bug 343332 however it still didn’t solve the issues completely therefore dropped the bugs from my assigned list for now.
  • Look at Performance tests
    • Get some rough ideas of what & how.

      • Had meeting with Alice (from MoCo) and got some good info on what Firefox does. Meeting minutes.

Two week goals (start of week 1):

  • Finish driving in Password Manager

  • Implement send in background
  • Investigate Weave pop-tart system
  • Try and get initial numbers for Ts to see if we can enable jemalloc.


asuth


bienvenu
  • Reviews and Driving

  • Use translated version of Local Folders for new local folders account, bug 464425

Two week goals (week 2)

  • Finish folder archiving work. bug 451995

    • Initial patch landed. Tracking bug for remaining work – bug 473212

Two week goals (week 1)
Get back to autoconfig repo; try to get pieces of it ready for review.

  • I’ve been doing massive cleanup on the code, and have generated a couple wip patches in bug 422814


gozer

On vacation.


clarkbw
  • Posted patch for message reader reply button

  • Bug triage


wsmwk
  • blurbed about bugs that need litmus testcases

  • pinged ~30 FIXED bugs that may still need tests – in-testsuite?
  • triage
  • updated Thunderbird:Testing to include running nightlies and early releases


beckley


Penelope
  • Mac and Windows builds were made but our QA was out sick, so testing will happen this week

  • Having problems with Linux builds and will be looking at getting those soon


KaiRo
  • SeaMonkey now uses the same ID and hiding method for status bar progress indicator, making life easier for shared code – bug 458533

  • Did some testing of Lightning in SeaMonkey with Mnyromyr’s tabmail patch – works fine with this, no error console messages, some missing menu items (overlay issues)


rkent


rebron
  • Drafted 2009 event/conference plan. Still need to finalize resourcing (attendance, sponsorship).

  • Evaluating GetSatisfaction as part of our support/help strategy. We have 35 articles in there already.
  • Continuing web site work, coordinate web site localization.

Two Week Goal

  • Distribution plan.

  • Continue work on Support/Help plan.
  • Beta 2 work.


Attendees

davida, dmose, Standard8, bienvenu, clarkbw, wsmwk, beckley, Kairo, Rebron

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-13

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Platform/2009-01-13

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Beta 3

  • due to the large number of outstanding P1 blockers we are declaring a code slip

  • during this slip time, the tree rules will not change, though sheriff priority should be given to P1 blockers
  • we will go over the list of P1 blockers outstanding in this meeting and ensure they are being tracked
  • new proposed dates:
    • Code freeze on January 25th, 11:59pm PDT

    • QA Start on January 27th, 9:00am PDT
    • Release on Feb 2nd, noon PDT

Blocker Report

[ Platform Blocker Queries | Front End Blocker Queries ]


Firefox 3.1 Update


GFX 1.9.1 Update


Layout 1.9.1 Update


Content 1.9.1 Update


JS 1.9.1


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


General 1.9.1 Updates


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • DNS prefetching

  • Windows TSF integration
  • elliptical border-radius
  • linkified view-source

Booked but not yet completed

  • native JSON (tentatively Friday Jan 16)

  • Javascript Tracing (tentatively Tuesday Jan 13 after platform meeting)


Roundtable

13-January-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-12

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Places/Status Meetings/2009-01-12

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities

  • Blockers (http://tinyurl.com/5zpgx7)

    • One unassigned blocker has been assigned to dietrich.
  • Bugs targeted 3.1: (http://tinyurl.com/7cvrs7)
    • MaK77 will make a first pass of this, followed by dietrich to go through and remove bugs from this list that are clearly new features that will not be making it for 1.9.1.

    • Bugs are marked with [good first bug] in the whiteboard as well for new folks to jump into and still impact the 3.1 release.
  • Bug Triage (http://tinyurl.com/a3j9p6)
    • Dropped below 1700 today!

    • Try to triage these if you have some spare time.
    • Targetting to drop off another 100 of these by next week (by fixing, closing, duping, etc)


QA Issues

We are having a Places Test Week this week see QMO event here: http://quality.mozilla.org/events/2009/jan/16/places-test-week

This means more litmus tests focused on places should be ran this week, as well as additional bug triage.


Roundtable

  • Check status of developers docs (schema changes, temp tables) (dietrich)

    • The places ERD is a 404 (and was out of date). Dietrich is going to update it to the latest schema.

    • MaK77 and sdwilsh are going to write some documentation on how to write SQL queries against the places backend (for core developers). This will include the following:
      • How to write queries in the new temp-table era (MaK77)

      • How to get to the places database/basic entry points (MaK77)
      • Invariants and triggers (sdwilsh)
      • Check over existing documentation for outdated information (sdwilsh)
  • triage 3.1 targeted to find wanted-firefox3.1+ (MaK77)

    • dietrich will mark these accordingly after MaK77 triages them.
  • Start thinking about long-term plans for places. We will be discussing this at future meetings. (dietrich)

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-12

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2009-01-12

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (21:00 UTC until March 8, 2009)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • sip:weeklystatus@mozilla.com from generic SIP clients
  • http://icecast.mozilla.org/stream.ogg to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla You can also view previous meetings from the “on-demand” button on the Air Mozilla player. Meetings will be posted for on-demand consumption shortly after the meeting conclusion.


Friends of the Tree

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.6 / Major Update


Gecko 1.9.1


Firefox 3.1

Firefox 3.1 Beta 3

  • we are string frozen

  • we are add-on compatibility frozen
  • code freeze is going to slip out by 1-2 weeks due to high remaining number of tracemonkey blockers
  • everyone should still be trying to hit 0 P1s by tomorrow
  • after that, the goal should be to reduce P2s to zero by end of the month
  • new proposed schedule (to be decided at tomorrow’s meeting):
    • Jan 25th, 11:59pm PST – code freeze

    • Jan 27th, 9:00am PST – QA start
    • Feb 1, 12:00pm PST – Beta 3 ship
  • New faces on the Firefox team – please say “hi” on IRC!

    • Blair McBride (Unfocused) has joined the Firefox team as a contractor, working on the task of integrating aspects of the Ubiquity project into a future version of Firefox. He’s located in southern New Zealand, and available frequently on IRC


TB 3

  • 3.0b2

    • String Freeze: Monday, 2009-02-02 23:59 Pacific

    • Code Freeze: Thursday, 2009-02-05 23:59 Pacific
    • Want to help? Grab something from the blocking list: http://tinyurl.com/7ar9de
  • Various messaging folks (asuth, bienvenu, clarkbw, davida, dmose, rebron) in MV starting Weds for varying numbers of days


Mobile

  • Next milestone release: end of Feb

    • Maemo Beta 1

    • Windows Mobile Alpha 1
  • Initial Symbian port to land in incubator this week or next


IT

  • core1 switch upgrade last night bug 473084

    • Problems with flash drive, problems with single-homed devices

    • Mini post-mortem
  • Socorro database downtime Tuesday night
    • disk expansion


Release Engineering

  • FF2.0.0.20->FF3.0.5 MU went out last week; hoping lots of remaining people move up.

  • fun last night with netapps bug 473126
  • upcoming changes in graphserver schema – see upcoming blog post from alice


QA

Test Execution

  • Firefox 3.1 Feature testing progress:

    • Testplans (92% completed)

    • Testcases (81% completed)
  • Work on QMO to add documents, such as the Test Case Writing Primer
  • Organizing a testweek on Places Testing in QMO
  • Reviewed Litmus ownership areas and flagged that item for followup
  • installed Windows 7 on the lab machine
  • Testing and bug verifications of Mozmill 1.0 before ship

Web Dev Testing, Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Crash Reports

  • Web Dev Testing: Began reviewing changes to Mozilla.com for 3.1. Verified 22 bugs. Stephen analyzed and summarized our Web Dev test coverage.

  • Accessibility: Marco started a proposal to expose calendaring controls to ATs in the future, using Lightning as a basis.
  • Metrics:
    • Murali summarized his results and findings. Check out the pretty pictures!  ;)

    • We are working on identifying the first 6 components to focus on to create a set of project metrics extending beyond code coverage.

Test Development

  • Mozmill 1.0 Released

  • Reconfigured and better positioned the VMs for JavaScript testing to decrease turnaround time and increase reliability
  • Continuing to process Javascript test failures to get a handle on actual failing test cases. Began process of reviewing modifications to the known failures to ensure all new bugs are filed.
  • Completed investigation into Crashtest and Mochitest Chrome failures on maemo for Fennec.
  • Started creating “projects” and “tools” entries for corresponding test development and automation on QMO (quality.mozilla.org).


Security


Marketing/PR

PR

Events

  • Break the Floor, Jan 9, 2009, Cannes, France: William Quiviger and Julie Deroche attended on Mozilla’s behalf. Mozilla sponsored in order to drum up more end user awareness of Firefox.

  • Churchill Club, Jan. 15, 2009, San Jose: Mike Shaver is speaking on the “Browsers are Hot again” panel with Opera, MSFT and Google.
  • Campus Party, Jan. 19 – Jan 25, Sao Paulo, Brazil: Finalizing details, but Mozilla will be collecting video testimonials at this technology and digital entertainment event.

Mozilla.com

  • Overview of planned site changes for the 3.1 release is now up.


Support


Metrics

Funnelcake

  • Published some findings around November’s edition -> examined experience of users from clicking download, to receiving download file, to completing installation. Blog post here. There’s a good discussion in the comments section about possible changes to the download experience for us to consider.

  • The next Funnelcake ships tonight at midnight.


Evangelism

  • Asa has been rocking pretty hard on streaming with ogg.

  • Paul has been looking at an updated add-ons manual that was provided by one of our Japanese contributors. He will be working on getting it into developer.mozilla.org and making sure that it’s updated for 3.1.
  • Geolocation and web workers documentation have been updated to deal with some spec changes.
  • Starting to evaluate the next version of Deki — due for release in February — and provide feedback to MindTouch to ensure our needs are addressed as well as possible. Things look very promising so far.
  • Certain localizable strings are missing when using MDC while logged in. We’re trying to figure out why this is happening and hope to have it fixed soon.
  • Send newsletter-worthy stories to deb if ya have ‘em.


Labs

  • Welcome Blair McBride (aka Unfocused) to the Firefox team. He’ll be bridgewalking between the Firefox team and Labs team. He’ll be working on, among other things, uplifting features into Firefox informed by Ubiquity.

  • released Snowl 0.2 with updated river view, a new stream view for keeping track of messages in a sidebar while you do other things, the ability to send tweets, and support for multiple Twitter accounts; more info in the blog post;
  • released Ubiquity 0.1.4 and we’ll be releasing 0.1.5 today or tomorrow.
  • We are doing a open Ubiquity logo redesign. We started with 25 logos, which has now been narrowed down to 3. Please participate! See the Ubiquibot! here
  • Weave can now sync your history on Fennec
  • Personas released to the beta crowd on Friday, and they are busily submitting personas.


Developer Tools


Add-ons

  • 2009 planning, roadmap draft

  • Add-on statistics are experiencing difficulties again, they are being worked on
  • AMO 5.0.1 open bugs & fixed bugsCode freeze Jan 26
  • 3.1 Compatibility – doing better, so thanks to developers and community for their efforts. For more info, see detailed report or summary. Also see Nick’s post for information on updating for Firefox 3.1!
  • See Jan 7 meeting notes


Webdev


L10n

  • L10n drivers team is presently gathering participation of all locales for FF 3.1 b3

    • Two new locales likely to participate: Persian and Vietnamese

    • 33 locales checked in so far: vi fa tr ro fy-NL zh-TW it ru et es-ES mk el ca is si zh-CN fr de sv-SE sr eu pl be nl fi nb-NO nn-NO hu ar lv ga-IE bn-IN th
  • This week, l10n-drivers will be finalizing their 2009 Q1 goals. Email [1] for any suggestions or comments.


Foundation Updates

  • Mark and Frank worked on a planning document for possible Mozilla Foundation education activities in 2009.

  • The developers of the NVDA open source screen reader published a report on NVDA development activities funded by the Mozilla Foundation. NV Access (the nonprofit organization supporting NVDA) also published its own annual report.


Roundtable


Other Business

7-January-2009

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-06

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-01-06

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> bienvenu

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to davida for schedule changes/additions.


Calls For Help


Action Items


New


Open

  • clarkbw – send mail about drivers about triaging 3.0b1 wanted this week

  • dmose – triage [tb3needs] bugs


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 2

  • For reference, Gecko 1.9.1b3: Jan 13 Code Freeze, Jan 15 QA, Jan 26 Release according to their plan.
  • clarkbw is release driver

  • gozer is build engineer
  • Proposed: Slushy string freeze from: Monday 2nd February 23:59 PST
  • Proposed: Firm string freeze and slushy Code freeze from: Thursday 5th February 23:59 PST
  • We need to drive bugs with large string changes, e.g., archive, auto config, activity manager. Some way of marking bugs needing strings would be useful.

    • Archive is getting reviewed now

    • Activity Manager is also under review
    • AutoConfig is further away from review – will try to get it closer this week.
    • Multiple e-mail addresses and tags needs strings.


Thunderbird 3


QA Updates

  • topcrashes

    • bug 471492 crash [@ nsImapMailFolder::CopyMessagesOffline]

    • bug 422907 nsMsgLocalMailFolder::GetTrashFolder (rootFolder is null)
    • bug 470804 NS_GetInnermostURI (CAPS?) (TB2) (patch landed on trunk – not 1.9.1 or 1.8.x)
    • bug 470808 nsProxyEventObject::CallMethod (imap)
    • bug 470835 nsMsgLocalMailFolder::AddMessage (should be fixed in 12-23 nightly) (optimistically gone)
  • bugday, first of 2009 focused on trunk (we’re losing ground on that front of the triage war)

Uncomfirmed bug count rose over the holidays and needs to be driven down.

  • litmus: we can now get reports of updated/new litmus tests for Thunderbird only, which will help us to manage updating of tests

  • crash-stats group has put up MTBF reports for milestone and development releases. It’s still a work in progress. And there is a bug outstanding that causes 3.0b1 (and b2pre?) to not be shown. On the development view, MTBF of 3.0b2pre is stated as over 10x better than 3.0b1pre, but crash rate appears to be about the same. Also note the data may not be accurate for the entire user population, as we think it doesn’t included data from users who have no crashes.
  • crash stats helper


Roundtable

  • Davida has been thinking about Post TB 3 issues.

  • Dmose has proposed straw man schedule for TB 3 – blocking bug count needs to go down quickly in order for it to be realistic.


Status Updates


davida


dmose
  • very fragmented 3-day week, including…

    • junk/unknown status discussion

    • tb3 driving work
    • a few reviews
    • various meetings
  • goals for next two weeks:

    • improve efficiency of personal daily planning

    • figure out how to excise more distractions from my day
    • finish driving tb3 plan towards better alignment with reality
    • drive JS-in-mailnews patches into the tree
    • triage message-reader bugs
    • finish GloDa review


nth10sd
  • Active discussions with Mozmill devs and Mark about the path of Mozmill moving forward.

  • Mapping of Litmus tests with Mozmill tests are being done here.
    • First one sort-of finished

    • Latching on to one more in the coming weeks.
  • Looking at more Litmus tests to be converted to Mozmill tests.
  • Thunderbird bug progress through the years in a Rumbling Edge blog post.
  • Usual occasional bug triage and (minor) patch writings.


jcranmer


Standard8

Non-goal activities:

  • Reviews

  • Trying to debug Mac random orange bug 462269, seem to have currently worked around the problem. Will observe over the next week or so.
  • Made a start on the next round of Card -> Contact changes, see bug 126491, need to revisit patch

Two week goals (Start of week 2):

  • Complete Password Manager migration

  • Complete moving Leak and Bloat to Mozmill (if Mozmill issues are resolved)
    • Still awaiting resolution (stalled over new year).
  • Investigate if there is a simpler way to switch fully to toolkit autocomplete without doing too much work.
    • Todo
  • Look at Performance tests
    • Get some rough ideas of what & how.

    • See if we can get a Ts structure in place (or something else)
      • This would be useful for jemalloc and assessing implementing a packages-static file for unix.


asuth


bienvenu
  • Reviews

  • Fixed regression in cross-folders views handling of marking messages read, bug 472137
  • Fixed regression in how we deal with invalid .msf files for local folders, including rebuild index, bug 471307
  • Investigated problems in handling imap folder names that need to be munged, patch up for review bug 115091
  • updated autoconfig repo with latest trunk, and fixed things that broke.

Two week goals (week 2)

  • Finish folder archiving work. bug 451995

    • first patch is up for review. Other patches will be submitted soon.

Two week goals (week 1)
Get back to autoconfig repo; try to get pieces of it ready for review.


emre
  • Two week goals

    • Finalizing activity manager and activity manager integration of core components.

    • Implementing a two level auto-sync model for TB-Idle cases.


gozer
  • Build

    • Unit test buildbot master is brand new and all builders are slave to it

    • We now have unit test coverage on mozilla-central and releases/1.9.1 across all 3 platforms
    • Waterfall is public: Unittest Waterfall
  • Infrastructure
    • Network outage took down lots of MoCo’s network, taking some of us down with it bug 471679

    • We now have the infrastructure in place to run our own:
      • Bouncer

      • Download mirror
    • Corporate website redesign is underway in its own branch
  • Personnal
    • On vacation: Jan 9th – Jan 16th (on call)


clarkbw
  • bug triage catching up

  • driver work


wsmwk
  • closed 33 bugs

  • filed more crashes, topcrashes


beckley

Catching up after several weeks of vacation


Penelope

Final touches being made to next Eudora/Penelope betas:

  • Builds will be made beginning of this week

  • Release end of this week


KaiRo


rkent

I have soft tags working well enough now that I am running it as part of my normal email processing – though I have to run a custom TB build with several bug fixes to do that. I’m particularly pleased that the UI is so easy to use in the training. That is, once you turn on soft tagging for a particular tag, you then just continue to do manual tagging, including correcting of any tagging errors, and that does all of the training. I need to get any backend fixes into beta2 so that the TaQuilla soft-tagging extension can run with the standard release.

I will need to touch the Bayesian tokenizer to fix some issues that are arising in soft tagging (bug 472005). While I am at it I intend to revive my old spam corpus testing extension, and make some minor changes to the tokenization of headers, after I test to make sure that the changes are a net improvement in performance.

I am tempted to add the bayesian filter processing soon to RSS and newsgroups, as I can see that a big win for soft tagging would be to mark certain blogs or news posts as “interesting”, and then only read soft-tagged “interesting” posts when pressed for time – or sort them in “interesting” order, and read the more interesting first. This would be really useful in things like planet.mozilla, where there are more regular posts than I have time to read.


rebron
  • Targeting mid-February launch for redesigned web site. Work is being done on this branch.

  • I’ll be posting our proposed Conference/Event calendar this week. If there are conferences or events you’d like to attend or would like to see us there, please let me know.

Two Week Goal

  • PR coordination.

  • Continued web site work, coordinate web site localization.
  • 2009 event planning.
  • Continue work on Support/Help plan.


sipaq


mkmelin


Attendees

bienvenu, davida, dmose, clarkbw, beckley, Gary, Rafael, gozer (wants a pony), standard8

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-06

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

Platform/2009-01-06

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Details

  • Tuesday – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 19:00 UTC

  • Mozilla Building S – <script> conference room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel


Notices / Schedule

Beta 3

  • notable dates:

    • String freeze has been declared – no new strings from here on in

    • Code freeze is January 13th, 11:59pm PDT
    • QA Start is January 15th, 9:00am PDT
    • Release is targeted at January 26th

Blocker Report


Firefox 3.1 Update

  • video scrubber is blocked up on some back end patches


GFX 1.9.1 Update


Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • Layout Blockers

  • Layout wanted1.9.1+
  • 22 Video/Audio blockers (1 P3), 5 SVG blockers (1 P3), 32 regular layout blockers (14 P3) almost entirely fuzz bugs
  • Invalidation now testable


Content 1.9.1 Update


JS 1.9.1

  • JS 1.9.1 Bugs

  • focusing on blockers
  • fewer correctness bugs, more instances of 10/20/30% perf issues, etc.


Mobile 1.9.1 Update


General 1.9.1 Updates


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • DNS prefetching

  • Windows TSF integration
  • elliptical border-radius

Booked but not yet completed

  • native JSON (tentatively Friday Jan 9)

  • Javascript Tracing (tentatively Tuesday Jan 13 after platform meeting)


Roundtable

  • video scrubber is at risk due to some back end requirements

    • Umbrella: bug 462113 Implement progress bar / scrubber for video controls

    • Blocked by other bugs being investigated:
    • bug 464376 – progress events sometimes not getting fired
    • bug 470852 – new video controls trigger “Permission denied” error, don’t function
    • bug 472090 – DOMAttrModified doesn’t fire, breaks XUL <scale> in native anonymous XBL.
  • Remove GUID from crash reporter — bug 444351
  • end to end times: [1]

    • pooling unittests with build sped things up

    • talos still long pole

6-January-2009

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-01-05

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2009-01-05

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (21:00 UTC until March 8, 2009)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • sip:weeklystatus@mozilla.com from generic SIP clients
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

WeeklyUpdate Live: You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla You can also view previous meetings from the “on-demand” button on the Air Mozilla player. Meetings will be posted for on-demand consumption shortly after the meeting conclusion.


Friends of the Tree

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.6 / Major Update

  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.19

    • Went live last Tuesday thanks to some holiday work by QA and build

    • Moving Thunderbird 2.0.0.x to 2-month releases (every 8 weeks or so)
    • Will likely be supported until six months after Thunderbird 3 release
  • Firefox 2.0.0.20 -> 3.0.5 Major Update
    • Went to beta users last Monday

    • Localizers are currently working to get the new banner translated (36 done, 8 remain!)
    • Final release date a moving target, but aiming for late this week or early next
  • Firefox 3.0.6
    • Code freeze is moved out to Wednesday, January 7 (at 11:59pm)

    • Does not move out final ship date of February 3
    • Currently 19 approved patches that need landing. Please land your patches.


Gecko 1.9.1


Firefox 3.1

Firefox 3.1 Beta 3

  • Dec 31 Jan 1 – string freeze has come and gone

  • Jan 13 – code freeze
  • Jan 19 – QA start
  • Jan 26 – ship to users
  • New faces on the Firefox team – please say “hi” on IRC!

    • David Dahl (ddahl) – from ILM, author of the rCache add-on for Firefox and the Clarify Python wrapper for Tesseract OCR

    • Drew Willcoxon (adw) – from Stanford and University of Georgia, author of the Extend Firefox 3 winning TagSifter add-on, as well as several other projects (see his web page)


TB 3

  • 3.0b2

    • String Freeze: Monday, 2009-02-02 23:59 Pacific

    • Code Freeze: Thursday, 2009-02-05 23:59 Pacific


Mobile


IT

  • Another slow week, ran through more kernel updates and a few RHEL5 upgrades.

  • “We made life easier for IT” – justdave


Release Engineering

  • Holiday releases:

    • all Partner Major updates released by 20dec2008

    • TB2.0.0.19 released on 30dec2008.
  • DHCP woes closed tree 31dec2008; see bug 471679 for details
  • FF2.0.0.20->FF3.0.5 vanilla MU ready to release (Thursday?)
  • linux-mobile talos results now on graphs.m.o. Look for “Nokia N810″ platform. Still investigating Tp crash in bug 471585.


QA

Welcome Marco Zehe and Henrik Skupin as new employees!

Test Execution

  • Major Update of Fx2.0.0.20 -> Fx3.0.5 shipped to Beta on 12/29 (al, juan)

  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 shipped to World early on 12/30 (al, juan)
  • Firefox 3.1 Feature testing progress:
    • Testplans (90% completed)

    • Testcases (76% completed)
  • Community discussions beginning in the QMO forum
  • Early stages of litmus redesign ideas

Web Dev Testing, Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Crash Reports

  • Tomcat attended the 25th Chaos Communication Congress in Berlin. See his report.

  • Code Coverage metrics: Working on ways to drill down and to visualize the coverage. See sample bubble diagram. Size of each bubble is the number of change sets on that file.

Test Development

  • Continuing to execute JavaScript tests with focus on mozilla-central (1.9.2), mozilla-1.9.1 (1.9.1) and tracemonkey (1.9.2) repositories while attempting to keep up to date with the most recent failures

  • Continued development to support Sisyphus|Javascript testing against 1.9.2 – work tracked in bug 472144 and should land today.
  • New Patches for CSS Transform and CSS Border-Radius tests
  • Mozmill 1.0 release should be this week – still in find/fix cycle
  • Investigated all reftest and mochitest failures on Fennec and filed bugs for them.
  • Finding, minimizing and diagnosing crash and memory leaks: bug 471416, bug 471458, bug 471543, bug 471598 etc.
  • Analyzed results from the 100,000 Topsite Test: ~ 70,000 Sites done so far with about 16,000 abnormal exits (for example: fatal assertions, crashes, etc); currently running a verification test for these abnormal results.
  • Started a 100,000 top site run for the 1.9.0 branch. After it completes, plan to do a 35,000 site run continuously against that branch to help catch any future regressions.


Security


Marketing/PR

PR


Support

  • No updates


Metrics


Evangelism

  • Getting ready to start evaluating the upcoming Lyons release of Deki.

  • Re-starting the newsletter next week – send stories to deb if you have them.


Labs

  • Snowl 0.2rc1 released; looking for feedback; see blog post for details and to download.
  • Weave milestone 2 for 0.3 released, now with Fennec support! See the Weave forum for details and download instructions.


Developer Tools


Add-ons

  • Rey Bango working on short term project to improve Add-ons approval and review process

  • Cranked up recruiting for new editors, 2 new joined in the past two weeks, 5 from Seneca College starting, and we’re going to look into recruiting from universities for more volunteers. Working on ideas to better thank our top editors.
  • Worked on tools and analysis for improving the breadth of featured and recommended addons
  • 2009 planning- focus on improving add-on awareness and discovery, let Nick Nguyen know if you want to help.
  • Early ideation and analysis around next generation of Add-ons, will formalize project soon so everyone can be involved.


Webdev


L10n


Foundation Updates

  • It was a generally slow week, with some folks on vacation.

  • Mark produced some initial notes on a possible Mozilla Foundation education program.
  • David did updates to the Projects and History pages on www.mozilla.org (to add Fennec as a project, note Adobe Acrobat and Kirix Strata as applications using Mozilla technologies, and address comments raised in bug 471494).
  • Frank continued participating in the public discussion about Comodo and Certstar.
  • The new Mozilla shirt is now available in the International Store.
  • And last but certainly not least, there’s a new member of the Boswell family.


Roundtable


Other Business

« Newer Posts

Powered by WordPress