Meeting Notes

28-April-2009

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-04-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-04-28

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

No meeting this week, but feel free to call in and chat

27-April-2009

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-04-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-04-27

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Note: no meeting this week due to on-site meeting. Please update your status in the wiki for all to read.


Friends of the Tree


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x


Gecko 1.9.1


Firefox 3.5


TB 3


Mobile


IT


Release Engineering


QA

Test Execution

Web Dev Testing, Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community

Test Development


Security


Marketing/PR

General

PR

Events


Support


Metrics


Evangelism


Labs


Developer Tools


Add-ons


Webdev


L10n


Foundation Updates


Round Table


Other Business

21-April-2009

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2009-04-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2009-04-21

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • “New bugzilla components”. Post to m.d.a.thunderbird/m.d.a.seamonkey/m.d.planning with some proposals and get it done. Just suggest something sensible following existing patterns for the qa contacts. [IanN]

CLOSED

  • bug 485005 Create new bugzilla component for Feed Handling (detection/preview). [Ratty]

    • Suggestion: “Feed Discovery and Preview” | “Bugs in SeaMonkey’s discovery of feeds and inline preview” | feed.handling@seamonkey.bugs


SeaMonkey 2 Beta 1

Bug Queries

open blockers
all blockers
blocker requests

  • SeaMonkey developers will need to nominate bugs that they think should be considered for blocking Beta 1.

  • Thunderbird 3.0 beta 3 has postponed strict freeze a week, we should follow.
    • All agree to move SeaMonkey Beta 1 freeze to 2009-05-05 (Tuesday).

    • Download manager, tabmail and feed preview are the biggest missing items.
    • Tabmail is a prerequisite for Lightning which we would like to support.
    • Possible blocker bug 484175 (History Import from SeaMonkey 1.1.x is not working). It might be a good idea to ask mak77 or so for help, he’s the places expert.


Longer-Term SeaMonkey 2 Planning

open wanted
wanted requests

Major wanted/needed features:

  • bug 381157 Download manager backend.

    • New patch from Callek is there. Nits need to be fixed.
  • bug 472001 UI for download manager.
    • Some small updates, ported tests from toolkit, got r+sr, waiting for backend landing.

    • bug 483241 Fully implement download progress dialogs.
      • Posted screenshots and a first patch and blogged about it. Mixed feedback, needs some more work.
  • Toolbar customization:
    • bug 413385 MailNews: Have r+/sr+ but I need to fix one nit and some bit-rot before checkin.

    • bug 481862 Small buttons for MailNews: waiting for reviews and comments.
    • bug 464653 Fine Tune the toolbar context menu: No time to work on this yet. This is polish, not a blocker.
    • Now that the toolkit bug 476814 (Unfork/Unify customizeToolbar) has landed on 1.9.1, we can remove our overrides.
    • Plans on other components?
      • None at the moment. Volunteers welcome.

      • Customizable Composer toolbars would save us a whole pref panel.
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update.
    • Benjamin posted some new patches, got some reviews.
  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac.
    • stefanh: I’ll try and do something with what I have and have it finished before the end of this weekend.

    • KaiRo: we want to get this into beta, even if not everything might be perfect yet.
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.
    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.

    • We probably need to move this item from 2.0 to 2.1.
  • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable.
    • There isn’t any urgent need for progress on this as long as we don’t break. It might be good for extensions if we to convert our folder pane to be JS-driven e.g. calendar wants to put items there.
  • bug 415372 Implement Feed Preview.
    • The next patch should be ready before the end of April.

    • bug 471346 (Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service).
      • (Still) Waiting for review. Need to poke the reviewer again. mcsmurf will do that.

      • May need to update patch to sync with changes in Firefox bug 423672.
        • Will poke the reviewer again, need to update patch.
  • bug 460960 Port Thunderbird tabbed interface to MailNews.
    • Re-writing patch due to some problems.

    • Fixed bug 390262 Disentangle SeaMonkey and Thunderbird UI.
  • bug 348720 New icon set for “SeaMonkey Default Theme”.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 465504 Include an identity indicator in primary chrome (EV certificate UI).
    • Status bar icon with classic and modern theming landed.

    • URLbar icon: Patch has sr+ and ui-review+.


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult


Aqualon

  • Fixed bug 488838 make -j9 build of MailNews tests fails.

  • Fixed Toolkit bug 487012 License file not found for nightly update. Needs 1.9.1 landing.


asrail


biesi


Callek


IanN

  • Usual reviewing and commenting.

  • Was away for most of the Easter period so only just started to start looking at coding again.


KaiRo

  • Made download manager UI and progress windows work with Callek’s new patch, former is basically ready for checkin (including a set of tests), latter needs more work

  • Cooked up a patch to make toolkit download UI tests not fail with our patches (bug 483781)
  • Some more unittest buildbot work
  • Landed ported suite/browser tests (bug 484187 and bug 484188)
  • released 1.1.16
  • Created a patch for dynamically inserting version numbers for Windows files (bug 316387)
  • Reworked simpler profile L10n patch in bug 475113
  • Did some reviews on EV UI, etc.
  • Held a talk on the open Internet and Mozilla at Linuxwochen in Vienna
  • Started talks on a MozCamp in Vienna at the end of October
  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work.


mcsmurf

  • Fixed bug 468363 Clicking on URL in history drop-down does not autocomplete URL.

  • Fixed bug 488499 Registry key SeaMonkeyHTML created under HKCU rather than HKCR.
  • Fixed bug 488856 Fix URLs used in Add-on Manager (old URLs caused SSL cert errors).
  • Uploaded patch for bug 481836 URL bar autocomplete fills in nonexistant URL.
  • Some bug triage of recently filed bugs (mainly triaged crashers).


Misak

  • In Kiev for 2 weeks, taking CCNP courses.

  • Ported couple of sessionstore bugs from Firefox.
    • bug 488669 Port Bug 488238 [Blank about:sessionrestore].

    • bug 484648 Port Bug 483330 (Session restore flushes layout on save; affects page performance).
  • bug 481862 Small buttons for MailNews: waiting for reviews and comments.


Mnyromyr

  • Fixed bug 390262 Disentangle SeaMonkey and Thunderbird UI.


MReimer


Neil

  • Fixing bug 465504 Include an identity indicator in primary chrome (EV certificate UI).

  • Fix in hand for the mochichrome test leak bug 470709.
  • Fixed bug 473157 Sorting history shouldn’t sort day/site containers (which remain in time/host order).
  • Fixed bug 484484 Upgrade MailNews smileys (emoticons).


Ratty

  • Bugs fixed:

    • bug 479992 Better fix for the “Halo”/Extended border around buttons on modern theme.

    • bug 488972 Help Key [F1] does not work in the pageInfo window.
  • Currently working on bugs:
    • bug 435652 Scrollbars become hidden/disappear when the window gets smaller/shrinks (but not too small). But blocked by Core bug 482955 landing on 1.9.1.

    • bug 413385 Implement Customizable Toolbars in SeaMonkey MailNews. Have r+/sr+ but I need to fix one nit and some bit-rot before checkin.
    • bug 86400 Multiple page info windows can be opened (Depends on bug 444917).
    • bug 444917 It should be possible for an extension to reload Page Info on a different document.
    • bug 398138 SM2: New ftp listing style missing in modern theme.
    • bug 485818 Add a Chatzilla toolbar button to the SeaMonkey Navigator toolbarpalette. Have r+; checkin-needed.
  • Bug discussions.
  • Bug triage: mostly Help, and Page Info components.
  • Mozillazine discussions and agitprop.


sgautherie

  • Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey bugs:

    • bug 244940 ‘loading.gif’ is found in many different places: standardize it in one location!

    • bug 321939 Legacy XUL attribute ‘xulkey’
    • bug 485820 Make SeaMonkey buildbot configs base on abstracted buildbotcustom steps; (Bv1b) Clean up mozconfig
  • Fixed Core/… (but SM related) bugs:
    • bug 488975 |nsMsgFolderDataSource.cpp(2467) : warning C4018: ‘>’ : signed/unsigned mismatch|

    • bug 228448 Remove ‘==’/’!=’ ‘PR_FALSE’/’PR_TRUE'; (Ev1-CC) </mailnews/*> except 1
    • bug 484205 Additional fixes to client.py, after bug 482686; (Bv1) 1 optimization, plus some reorderings
    • bug 485736 Add (TUnit) ‘xpcshell-tests’ |make| target, using |runxpcshelltests.py| new ‘–manifest’ option; (Fv1-SM) Call the new target
    • bug 488983 2 * |mailnews/base/src/nsMsgGroupThread.cpp(…) : warning C4018: ‘>=’ : signed/unsigned mismatch|; (Av1) Remove an unused ‘threadParent’
  • And working on other areas… like
    • infrastructure to run tests

    • filing bugs for leaks in (TUnit) tests
    • doing an (experimental) Windows mozilla-central SeaMonkey build, reporting to bug 470184 issue tracking; hoping for bug 464325 new tinderboxes.


Standard8


stefanh


wladow


Any other business?

  • Google Summer of Code:

    • We have one slot allocated to SeaMonkey. Aqualon will work on mail filter UI.

    • We have some chance of Mozilla internally allocating resources to take one more SeaMonkey project outside of the official Google framework, which would be varunsl working on Weave for SeaMonkey.
  • Thinderbird 3b3 is the final beta, what are the opinions on branching comm-central about that time?
    • Also when do we lock down branch for approvals and blockers only?

    • We should restrict various parts of comm-central to approved & blocker bugs only at some stage, probably just after 3.0b3.
    • That sounds fine especially if we have a trunk already at that stage or shortly afterwards, which will be free for normal work again.
    • SeaMonkey 2.0 would be off the branch and comm-central would then start taking the current moz-central trunk.
    • TB drivers to approve checkins to /mailnews during lock down periods since SeaMonkey mailnews UI is now in suite/.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-04-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-04-21

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda


Action Items


New


Open


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 3

  • Planned Freeze Dates ( All dates use time of 23:59 PST )

    • Slushy String freeze date: 2009-04-28 (Tuesday)

    • Slushy Code Freeze date: 2009-04-30 (Thursday)
    • Firm String / Code freeze date: 2009-05-05 (Tuesday)
    • l10n-mozilla-1.9.1 freeze date: 2009-05-07 (Thursday)
    • Target Build Ship date: 2009-05-12 (Tuesday)
  • dmose is release driver
  • gozer is build engineer
  • Six weekly milestones ([m1] – [m6]) have been created to help spread out b3ux feature work across the milestone and avoid lots of hard landings / misses at the end of the cycle.

    • davida driving [b3ux]

    • davida: too many bugs? slip or cut
      • various discussion; general feeling seemed to be that shipping was very important
  • Bug-owners: please try to find a little time (an hour?) and go through as many bugs as you can and add a few paragraphs about implementation strategy and test plan. This will be helpful for both QA and for convincing people to step up to the plate for new bugs, and the hope is that it will actually be a net win as far as time spent goes, despite requiring the time-investment up-front.

    • Please try and write at least one TestPlan this week


Thunderbird 3

  • Please set bugs to assigned status (as well as owner to you) if you want to do them.

  • If you have other bugs assigned to you that you don’t want to do, please reassign or discuss with drivers.


QA Updates


Marketing Updates


IT update

  • Saturday’s outage

    • Caused by our firewall hitting it’s connections limit

      • Caused by an accidental global increase in keepalive timeouts that should have been limited to chat.mozillamessaging.com
    • Resulted in degraded performance of all our web presences
    • Fully monitored now, and will not happen again
  • All planned new hardware has been ordered

  • Planned RAM upgrade has begun
    • 1 VMware Server has been upgraded

    • 1 is planned for this week
    • The other 2 will be next week


Roundtable


Status Updates


davida


dmose


nth10sd
  • bug 440641 successfully triaged with hang stack.

    • Getting some more qawanted on my plate..
  • More testcase reduction fun (JS-land).
  • Mozmill has experimental modal dialog support, now waiting on templatized DOM trees patch (needed for folder selection on the left side for TB)


Standard8
  • Reviews & Driving

  • bug 489168 Leaking nsAbCardProperty when collecting addresses for email addresses that already exist in the address book.
  • Send in background bug 440794
    • Fixed sending more than one message in a session.

    • Hooked up to shutdown service so that we’ll now finish sending if we’re already sending when user attempts to quit (note, this is currently affected by bug 459376
    • Had some discussions on how to fix/avoid the quit-application-requested bug (bug 459376).
    • Did some big re-factoring bug 489325 so we can get sane progress indications from the back-end to the front-end which will lead into doing retry on failure etc.


asuth


bienvenu
  • Reviews and driving

  • Autoconfig is on the trunk, but not enabled in the UI yet – working through blocking issues with Philor.
  • Smart Mailboxes patches in review process
  • Worked on GMAil XLIST support
  • Fixed exception in gloda folder deleted event listener, bug 488590
  • Landed potential fix for hang on shutdown with open imap connectionsbug 487965
  • speed up undoing move/delete of large number of local messages by using db batching, bug 488606
  • make sure we playback offline events if you shutdown offline and restart online, bug 364082
  • make longer network timeout for copying large number of imap messages, bug 409259


gozer
  • Build

    • Investigate source based nightly/try builds bug 489338

    • Try Server Mac OS X issues look resolved
  • Infrastructure

    • All planned new hardware has been ordered

    • Colo Rack move will happen April 29th, more details still to come
    • We have a Jabber server now (backend to chat), would there be interest in opening this up ?


clarkbw


wsmwk
  • resurrected bug 201332 [meta] bugs related to “Show only subscribed folders” option

  • qa’d bug 486430 Mail Start Page disappears after right click
  • qa’d bug 487965 hang on shutdown with open imap connections and zero cpu
  • qa’d bug 487375 Severe performance issues on USB stick while deleting or receiving mail
  • bugday – triage trunk unconfirmed with no previous comment
  • profile manager – more banging on dataloss concerns
  • cruisin


beckley


Penelope
  • Synced Eudora source to latest TB 3.0b3pre sources, and next Eudora beta will be based on TB 3.0b3 released sources

  • Talked to gozer and bhearsum about configuring updates for Eudora
  • Worked some on that, but having problems with Venkman not breaking in some update wizard pages


KaiRo


rkent


rebron


Tsk
  • Done :

    • Tested chat.mome

    • changed the look from chat.mome
    • Triaged some perf related bugs
  • Continuing :

    • Test plans

    • Community engagement
    • Looking into mozmill
  • Todo :

    • start thinking about 3.0

    • make the litmus testing sucessfull.


andreasn
  • Got network running in the Vista VM and Dropbox to sync between the Desktop and the VM.
  • Last week

    • Activity manager stuff

    • Vista: better looking sidebar.
    • Vista: lots of new icons
  • This week

    • Get as many Vista icons in as possible

    • Track Linux changes in bugzilla and wiki.
    • Vista theme work.
    • XP theme work.


Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-04-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2009-04-21

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.9

  • Shipping today at 3pm-ish

Firefox 3.0.10

  • Please work on your blockers

  • Code freeze is tomorrow (Wednesday) at 11:59pm PDT

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4


Blocker Report

Since 1.9.1 branch …

Past 2 weeks …

[ Platform Blocker Queries | Front End Blocker Queries ]

Summary

  • blockers going up again (boo!)

  • we’re falling off of blocker triage

The Breakdown


Browser / Front End

  • Polish update: Firefox is 53% shiny (+1% over last week)


GFX 1.9.1 Update

  • Bug status:

    • 5 blocking 1.9.1+

      • mostly image-related stuff, touched some perf things that unraveled a bunch of problems

      • bug 470487 – the nsWindow plugin destroying topcrash. Tried a bandaid, waiting for results.


Layout Update

  • Layout

    • 6 blockers (4 with patches or probably will be fixed by other bugs)

    • 2 untriaged noms (1 with a patch!)
    • dholbert: progressing with animation of CSS properties via SMIL
    • roc: hoisting plugin widgets to toplevel, working on windowless IFRAMEs
    • zwol: frame “GC”
  • SVG
    • 1 blocker
  • Video/Audio
    • 17 blockers (could be pruned, should not delay our schedule)

    • doublec: Splitting the current “decode video + play audio” thread into separate threads to fix jitter playing 720p and 1080p
    • kinetik: gfx-level performance improvements
    • chrisp: getting married


Content Update

  • 1.9.1:

    • One remaining P1 blocker bug 475864 Quickstubs allow pages to mess with native anonymous content. Patch almost ready, but neads some tweaks.

    • 9 other blockers
      • bug 483915 Workers: Use new JSAPI to limit tracing code cache size — Trivial, but needs bug 474497 first.

      • bug 481566 Content sink needs to be more responsive — Did a touch-and-go, but needs updated patch.
      • bug 462853 “Assertion failure: slot < (obj)->map->freeslot” during T… — Needs more work, hard to reproduce.
      • bug 485125 Crash on close [@ libflashplayer.so@0x4110d ] — Likely fixed, or fixed enough, by Karl’s recent gtk widget destruction fix.
      • bug 483672 Permission denied for <http://localhost:7080> to call met… — Won’t block on a fix here, Firebug workaround on hand instead of taking this fix.
      • bug 487695 Decide what to do with localStorage when using session only cookies.
      • bug 479880 Security bug.
      • bug 480205 Security bug (remainder of mrbkap’s wrapper work).
      • bug 461861 Security bug.


Mac OS X Update

  • Josh making good progress on the 64-bit port. Optimistically within 4-6 weeks of being able to build 64-bit on trunk.

  • Steven Michaud back from working on major JEP update, mostly for 10.6 Java compatibility in FF 3.5.
  • Looking into major modal dialog work for 1.9.2, outlined in bug 478073.
  • Cocoa NPAPI well under way, will finish after Neil Deakin’s focus re-factoring lands since it involves a bunch of focus work in the object frame. Have also been waiting on some last-minute spec changes being worked out with Apple.


JS 1.9.1


General 1.9.1

These are bugs that fall outside of components covered by the Gfx, Content, Layout and JS groups:


Mobile 1.9.1 Update

  • Big perf things we need to land soon

    • bug 485426 ARM simd rgb24->565 optimizations

    • bug 482676 Neon pixman optimizations
    • bug 483409 Use XShm for pushing to the screen
    • bug 482689 Optimize background displaylists for opaque images
    • bug 67752 Interruptible Reflow
      • We would really like to see this land on trunk as soon as possible so we can try to decide if it could go back to 1.9.1 for mobile.
  • In progress


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • native JSON

  • Windows TSF Integration
  • DNS prefetching


STOP HERE AND CHECK AGAINST SCHEDULE


Tree Management

  • headsup nthomas/bhearsum traveling

    • so if we drag into late wed, will need to haggle
  • wait times on try+production build/unittest machines
    • please file bugs for long wait times between landing patch, and start of build

    • still trying to figure out talos wait times, but its long
  • win32 depend builds and bigger disks,
  • splitting unittest to run in parallel chunks;
    • suggestions on how to display on waterfall?

    • will post to tree mgmt, but no-one in meeting cared, everyone just using mstrange’s UI instead.
  • win32 buildtimes (disk changes to moz2-win32-slave01, 03, 06)
    • increasing disk size reduced depend compile/link from 3h->17mins

    • need help with msys and network mount drives
  • powering off Firefox2 machines at last


Roundtable

  • Platform planning is ongoing. Please participate in the dev.planning threads Javascript, GFX, Layout, and Content.

  • Firebug compatibility
    • need bug 483672

      • we’re going to work around this at the loss of XHR results in the console tab
  • Tracing across DOM methods for 1.9.1? Do we have a good risk/reward metrics? See e.g. bug 480187, bug 487134. Seems hard to call these blockers.
  • status of memory leaks (dbaron)

20-April-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-04-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Places/Status Meetings/2009-04-20

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities


QA Issues

  • Tracy

    • Working the qawanted list

    • Verifying fixed-1.9.1 bugs


Status updates

  • sdwilsh

    • Working on some weave-impact bugs for 1.9.1

      • bug 483980 Allow history/bookmark observer components to register with a startup category (trying to help; hard bug)

      • bug 468307 Multiple observer events fire for addition, removal (approach changed; needs work)
  • mak

    • blocker bug 487040 Crash [@ nsNavHistoryResult::OnItemAdded ]. Landed on trunk and branch, re-enabled crashing test on branch and waiting results

    • bug 484019 Fix roots titles with preventive maintenance. First patch ready, need to evaluate how to handle checks on Library left pane folders.
    • bug 487777 History menu is slow and takes ages to open. Fixed on trunk and branch.
    • Fixed some of the places “sort operation required” storage warnings.
    • various reviews and pushes
    • blocker bug 488783 Tags list no longer sorted (alphabetized) in latest Shiretoko nightly. Patch ready, but i noticed some strange behavior while writing a test, investigating them. ETA should be end of today.
    • bug 488966 Add a last_visit_date column with an index to moz_places. Want to investigate if it would be possible fixing this for 3.5, and if really would make history menu lightning fast.
  • adw

    • Clear recent history sprint bug 480169 – landed on trunk and branch

    • Weave bookmarks-restore notifications bug 470314 – landed on trunk and branch
    • Library polish bug 430148 – review requested from mano
    • hasTag bug 399799 – put up an nsIVariant patch for Dietrich’s review; need to investigate alphabetizing array of tags returned per Marco’s comment
    • bookmarks initialization is not fault tolerant bug 478912 – posted a WIP patch that addresses most but not all of the issues linked to in the bug, but the bug is very terse; could use some guidance here, or maybe Marco or Dietrich could use the patch as a starting point since they know what the bug’s about
  • ddahl

    • fixed dependent bug bug 487012 of bug 473337 just the makefile for SeaMonkey builds

    • bug 485442 created xpcshell test and patch approved
    • Working on ORM – have I discovered a JS bug?
    • Looking at google chrome database schema and History/Bookmarks functionality
  • dietrich

    • reviews, etc.


Documentation

  • MDC

    • the migration guide needs history api and dynamic container examples. (dietrich)

    • the design documents linked from MDC need to be written. can probably cull from the old design overview docs.
    • Documentation non-existent:
      • dynamic containers (MaK77)

        • will do as soon as they are working properly


Roundtable

  • bug 445704 needs to be ported to 3.0.10 branch (freeze is April 21st)
  • bug 489173 Issue with size of places.sqlite and Google Toolbar

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-04-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-04-20

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Friends of the Tree


Development Updates


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x


Gecko 1.9.1

  • Beta 4 progress: JS has 6 bugs blocking the last planned beta, and 3 of those 6 have patches or has a potential fix. Overall, 7 remaining P1s.

  • Don’t forget, Platform planning ongoing:
    • There’s several ongoing dev.planning discussions of the work lists for each of the groups. Links to threads: Javascript, GFX, Layout, and Content.

    • For overall Platform planning, see this wiki page.
    • Next steps are to discuss the overall plan for what the next Gecko release will look like, not just features, but duration and timing.
  • Check out Taras Glek’s talk on Pork.
  • Blocker Status:
    • 9 final blocker bugs left in content. (9 last time)

    • 3 GFX final blockers. (Last week: 4)
    • 9 Layout final blockers. Six have patches. (Last week: 11)
    • 2 SVG final blockers.
    • JS with 29 blockers. (Last week: 37)
  • Triage needed. 23 (I updated this number this time!) noms are in the queue right now.
  • For weekly engineering meeting notes and other info see the Platform page.
  • 73 total 1.9.1 blockers (two weeks ago: 70).


Firefox 3.5

Firefox Front End Work

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4

  • we are string frozen

  • code freeze coming ASAP, JS bugs should be finished today
  • release still aimed at late this week

Namoroka

Team News

  • Dietrich Ayala and Johnathan Nightingale have been promoted to managers within the Firefox team – congratulations!

  • Please join me in welcoming Alexander Limi to the Firefox User Experience Team. Alexander is one of the founders of the open source CMS engine Plone and a strong user experience designer and advocate. He most recently worked on the Google Apps team. You can find him on #fx-team and #ux on irc.mozilla.org as limi


TB 3


Mobile


IT

  • Preparing for two Firefox releases this week

  • Still working through iSCSI storage issues from last week


Release Engineering

  • tough time keeping up with the spike for FF3.5b4 last week.

    • large spike in jobs

    • complicated by backend issues, working on it.
  • Firefox3.0.9 release this week
  • new graphserver changes coming in approx two week
    • see alice/ryan for details
  • shout out to chris for the “wait times” post in dev.tree.management.


QA

Test Execution

  • Shipped 3.0.9 to beta

  • Firefox 2.0.0.20 to 3.0.9 Major Update testing
  • Bug Verifications last week

Web Dev Testing, Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community

Test Development

  • Got first test system working on Windows Mobile – XPCShell

  • Develop community fennec testdev initiative
  • Streamlined Mozmill testing of extensions from the command line. Still need to document…


Security

  • No updates for this week.


Marketing/PR

General

  • A/B testing on the Firefox download page (en-US) concluded:

    • Goal: improve download conversion and display appropriate content based on visitor’s browser

    • Improved visit-download conversion by 0.3%
    • Results posted soon at http://giantspatula.com
  • Next Community Marketing call is Wednesday, April 22nd, at 10am PDT. Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#. Or you can use our toll-free number: +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#. For those that can’t make the call or want to participate online, join us in #marketing on irc.mozilla.org. The agenda is posted on SFx.
  • Tomomi Kato from the Mozilla Japan marketing team is visiting Mountain View this week.

PR

Events

  • Hack in the Box, April 20 – 22, Dubai: Lucas Adamski and Chris Hofmann are attending.

  • JSConf, April 24 – 25, 2009, Washington, D.C.: Mozilla is signed up sponsor. John Resig and Kevin Dangoor are speaking!
  • NTEN Conference, April 26 – 28, 2009, San Francisco: They are looking for volunteers:
    • Day of Service, Sunday, April 26th: Two opportunities:

      • Strategy consults, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.: Organizations are looking for everything from technology help to marketing and fundraising tips. Sign ups here.

      • Help install wireless networks at St. Anthony’s in SF’s Tenderloin district or on Treasure Island. Sign ups here.


Support

  • Upcoming SUMO milestones:

    • Screencast support (SUMO 1.1)

    • Automated metrics dashboard (SUMO 1.2)
      • PRD in draft; we have a pretty good understanding of what metrics we want to collect, but still brainstorming about how to present it. Will Ken come to our rescue?
  • David Tenser working from the MV office in building K this week


Metrics

  • No updates this week.


Evangelism

  • Mozilla Developer Center

    • Planning to start testing the upgrade to Deki Lyons this week, on a test VM.

    • Planning to switch over to the new, more easily navigated, menu hierarchy for MDC this week.
    • Watching some possible late-compat issues for Firefox 3.5 docs.
    • Documentation touch-up work for Firefox 3.5 is ongoing.
  • Awesome demos from Paul


Labs

  • Labs night Thursday night: April 23 at 6 PM pacific time.


Developer Tools

No updates


Add-ons

  • Compatibility Update

    • 77% of add-ons now compatible with Fx3.1b3 and above

    • Measuring was revised to exclude the Sun Java Console because of impact on user experience and they way they do updates. Measured the old way, 3.1b3 compatibility is now at 70.4%, still an increase.


Webdev

  • Alex Buchanan starts today fulltime. Welcome Alex!

  • AMO 5.0.5 open bugs & fixed bugsCode Freeze 4/27; Code Push 4/30
  • Socorro – Lars and team are focusing on dumps migration to reduce overall database size prior to hardware migration — moving the db as-is would require 24 hours+ of downtime vs. 1-3 hours. Once this dump migration is tested, we will move dumps out of the main database and will proceed with the hardware migration. Time frame for completion is 2 weeks.


L10n


Foundation Updates


Roundtable


Other Business

  • No meeting next week due to a big on-site meeting. But please post updates to the wiki next week for all to see.

14-April-2009

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-04-14

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-04-14

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda


Action Items


New


Open


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 3

  • Planned Freeze Dates ( All dates use time of 23:59 PST )

    • Slushy String freeze date: 2009-04-28 (Tuesday)

    • Slushy Code Freeze date: 2009-04-30 (Thursday)
    • Firm String / Code freeze date: 2009-05-05 (Tuesday)
    • l10n-mozilla-1.9.1 freeze date: 2009-05-07 (Thursday)
    • Target Build Ship date: 2009-05-12 (Tuesday)
  • dmose is release driver
  • gozer is build engineer
  • Six weekly milestones ([m1] – [m6]) have been created to help spread out b3ux feature work across the milestone and avoid lots of hard landings / misses at the end of the cycle.

    • davida driving [b3ux]

    • davida: too many bugs? slip or cut
      • various discussion; general feeling seemed to be that shipping was very important
  • Bug-owners: please try to find a little time (an hour?) and go through as many bugs as you can and add a few paragraphs about implementation strategy and test plan. This will be helpful for both QA and for convincing people to step up to the plate for new bugs, and the hope is that it will actually be a net win as far as time spent goes, despite requiring the time-investment up-front.

    • Please try and write at least one TestPlan this week


Thunderbird 3

  • Please set bugs to assigned status (as well as owner to you) if you want to do them.

  • If you have other bugs assigned to you that you don’t want to do, please reassign or discuss with drivers.
  • Standard8 starting to pull together plans for the release.

    • eg nailing down specific dates

    • straw-man proposal for branching:
      • branch comm-central just before b3

      • lock down branch right after b3 ships


QA Updates

  • Moved two initial test days to one -> Next Week

  • Held a special bug day around QA wanted bugs
  • Started a discussion on improving QA contributions
    • working with gozer on testing a replacement for IRC
  • Would love to see more TestPlans (still only one so far)


Marketing Updates

  • Improvements to SpreadThunderbird, layout changes, added a couple folks to the core team, added identica group and looking to do more in Facebook group. Targeting poster contest for next week.

  • Working through steady stream of GetSatisfaction! questions.
  • Press work/planning for launch.


Roundtable

  • should we have an IT update?

    • Yes!


IT update

  • gozer in MV to coordinate moving MoMo machine gear across racks

    • some downtime (probably April 29); more info to come

    • server hardware capacity of various close to maxed out; new hardware on order
      • RAM

      • CPU
      • blades
      • GPG-in-hardware cards for signing Tb3 builds


Status Updates


davida


dmose
  • this past week

    • In Vancouver, BC list week to work with MoMo folks there

    • finished localizedRe unit test bug; should land today
    • 3.0b3 driving work
    • a few reviews
    • various calendaring discussions


nth10sd
  • Mozmill work

  • Planning for the summer
  • Bugdays, b.m.o, …


Standard8
  • Reviews & Driving

  • Holidays (Easter)
  • First patch for bug 466527 “Setting the mail start page to non-redirects causes bad display of what’s new tab” updated & pushed.
  • Came to the conclusion that the patch written for bug 485395 (Never prompted for password, so auth always fails – log in failures with % or @ in username) was sufficient, therefore posted for review.
  • Mozmill
    • More experiments – filed bug 487385 and bug 487391

    • Now in a position where we can try and move forward with getting versions of scripts that can run TB + mozmill for bloat and for automated tests.
    • Helpwanted: expand the current patches for TB + mozmill scripts to cover what we need, full explanation and what is wanted Bug 458352 comment 3
  • Send in Background
    • bug 440794 Wrote patch to start integrating send in background with the shutdown service – this doesn’t work completely on all platforms because of bug 459376 doing WIP patch. The integration will ensure that if we are already sending an email when we try to shut down, we’ll wait until we have sent it before continuing.

Goals for this week:

  • Send in background

    • Expand shutdown to cover pending messages to send.

    • Extend policy to cope with failures to send and deal with re-sends.


asuth
  • refactoring, tests, more refactoring

  • meetings
  • multiple real world intrusions


bienvenu


gozer
  • Build

    • Shark builds are now available

    • Trunk builds are GREEN again
    • Try Server
      • Getting good patch review love

      • Running all 3 platforms now
        • OS X is experiencing a lot of problems cloning hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central
  • Web

    • SpreadThunderbird

      • Working with Paul on various Drupal upgrades
  • Infrastructure

    • Colo Rack move will most likely happen April 29th, more details to come

    • New hardware being ordered today!


clarkbw


wsmwk
  • working on beefing up triager ranks

    • extended bugzilla privs to macmel (ludo’s neighbor) and Jay Moran

    • in last 180 days: 1,384 bug filers, ~1,100 filing only one bug, 275 filing 2-3 bugs, 75 4-9 bugs, 35 >10 bugs
      • will do round 2 of recruiting from this info (round one happened spring 2008)
  • good conversation with Josh Berkus (:jberkus) who is interested in advising on volunteerism come May
  • bugday
  • first pass on password/pwd bugs (and moving most to component=security)
  • war on profile/startup bugs continues


beckley


Penelope
  • Released new betas of Eudora and Penelope

  • Crash symbols for all three OSes are up and working correctly
  • Looking at getting updates to work
  • Made a possible fix for bug 464616, but I don’t know for sure because I can’t get the bug to reproduce
  • Fixed bug 488228 about:config being opened on restore when Pref window being opened


KaiRo
  • bug 488116 a common unit test buildbot factory for SeaMonkey and Thunderbird is ready and should land within days

  • bug 316387 preprocessing version numbers into module.ver for Windows .exe files has a patch now
  • Early stage of talks and start of planning for MozCamp Vienna in October (local event on the open net, organized by Mozilla)
  • working on Google Summer of Code application decisions


rkent


rebron
  • Q2 – Q3 goal planning.

  • Working through GetSatisfaction queue and drafting support requirements.
  • Press work: Washington Post, other planning.


Tsk

Worked on :

  • bug 487589 : input for this change welcome – the sooner we get this the better

  • Reorganize Testing events
  • Played a more with mozmill

Worked planned :

  • Preparing test plan for next test day

  • Prepare litmus test run
  • Do some triage


andreasn
  • Spent some time trying to get a Bluetooth headset to work.

  • Gave up and bought a wired one instead, fought that a bit.
  • Sent roadmap to David and Bryan
  • Installed Vista and got it up and running.
  • Last Week

    • Linux account central icons

    • Vista compose icons
    • Vista preferences icons
  • This week

    • More Vista icons and theme work.

    • Activity manager work
    • Track Linux changes in bugzilla and wiki.


Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-04-14

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2009-04-14

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.9

  • Aiming for April 21 release

Firefox 3.0.10

  • Please work on your blockers

  • Code freeze is in 8 days

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4


Blocker Report

Since 1.9.1 branch …

Past 2 weeks …

[ Platform Blocker Queries | Front End Blocker Queries ]

Summary

  • blockers going up again (boo!)

  • we’re falling off of blocker triage

The Breakdown


Browser / Front End

  • Polish update: Firefox is 52% shiny (+2% over last week)

    • Thanks go to: jmorkel, highmind63, jdarmochwal, mstange, dao

    • 47 remaining easy polish bugs (whiteboard [polish-easy])
    • 37 remaining hard polish bugs(whiteboard [polish-hard])


GFX 1.9.1 Update


Layout 1.9.1 Update

  • 1.9.1 query: 27 unfixed 1.9.1 blockers

  • Layout
    • 6 blockers (3 with patches or probably will be fixed by other bugs)

    • 10 untriaged noms
    • ‘flex’ thread in www-style
  • SVG
    • 2 blockers
  • Video/Audio
    • 15 blockers


Content Update

  • 1.9.1:

    • 11 blockers

      • bug 483915 Workers: Use new JSAPI to limit tracing code cache size — Trivial, but needs bug 474497 first.

      • bug 484107 Security bug. — Has patch, ready to land!
      • bug 481566 Content sink needs to be more responsive — Did a touch-and-go, but needs updated patch.
      • bug 483818 Leak when script appended via DOM does document.write — Patch in the works.
      • bug 462853 “Assertion failure: slot < (obj)->map->freeslot” during T… — Needs more work, hard to reproduce, might not block on this.
      • bug 485125 Crash on close [@ libflashplayer.so@0x4110d ] — Likely fixed, or fixed enough, by Karl’s recent gtk widget destruction fix.
      • bug 475864 Quickstubs allow pages to mess with native anonymous content
      • bug 479560 Security bug (mrbkaps wrapper work) — Making good progress
      • bug 480205 Security bug (mrbkaps wrapper work) — Making good progress
      • bug 483672 Permission denied for <http://localhost:7080> to call met… — Won’t block on this, Firebug workaround on hand instead of taking this fix.
      • bug 487695 Decide what to do with localStorage when using session only cookies.


JS 1.9.1


General 1.9.1

These are bugs that fall outside of components covered by the Gfx, Content, Layout and JS groups:


Mobile 1.9.1 Update

  • Big perf things we need to land soon

    • bug 485426 ARM simd rgb24->565 optimizations

    • bug 482676 Neon pixman optimizations
    • bug 483409 Use XShm for pushing to the screen
    • bug 482689 Optimize background displaylists for opaque images
    • bug 67752 Interruptible Reflow
      • We would really like to see this land on trunk as soon as possible so we can try to decide if it could go back to 1.9.1 for mobile.
  • In progress


Security


Security Reviews

Still outstanding / to be scheduled

  • native JSON

  • Windows TSF Integration
  • DNS prefetching


STOP HERE AND CHECK AGAINST SCHEDULE


Tree Management

  • New ESX hosts installed wed/thurs; lost one to CPU failure next day

    • last week 8 slaves added to try server

    • 12 more slaves on production pool-of-slaves (6 linux, 6 win32).
    • still overrun; will be lending slaves from production to try once crunch is over later today
  • win32 buildtimes (disk changes to moz2-win32-slave01, 06)
    • need help with msys and network mount drives
  • powering off Firefox2 machines at last


Roundtable

  • Platform planning is ongoing. Please participate in the dev.planning threads Javascript, GFX, Layout, and Content.

  • Firebug compatibility
    • need bug 483672

      • we’re going to work around this at the loss of XHR results in the console tab
  • Security Sensitive source files code review recommendations [ Murali ]
  • Tracing across DOM methods for 1.9.1? Do we have a good risk/reward metrics? See e.g. bug 480187, bug 487134. Seems hard to call these blockers.
  • status of memory leaks (dbaron)

13-April-2009

Places Meeting Minutes: 2009-04-13

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Places/Status Meetings/2009-04-13

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Places Team Meeting Details

  • Mondays at 9:00am Pacific

  • irc.mozilla.org #places


Work Priorities


QA Issues


Status updates

  • sdwilsh

    • Working on some weave-impact bugs for 1.9.1

      • bug 487660 Places depends on buggy behavior of SQLite’s SUBSTR (needs branch landing)

      • bug 487511 nsINavHistoryObserver has no “onBeforeDeleteURI” callback (needs review dietrich)
      • bug 468307 Multiple observer events fire for addition, removal (approach changed; needs work)
  • mak

    • New chrome and browser-chrome tests landed for Bookmarks dialogs

    • bug 422163 landed + null-pointers fixes
    • Working on Library regressions from “split history in sidebar” bug 422163
    • bug 484019 Fix roots titles with preventive maintenance
  • adw

    • Clear recent history sprint (bug 480169) review requested

    • polish bug 430148 review requested
    • hasTag bug 399799 After asking for people’s opinions, I’m inclined to leave it as it (wstring array)
    • weave bug 470314 review requested
  • ddahl

    • Patch up for bug 416580 “Disable copying and other commands on “special” Library folders”.

    • still sidelined by bug bug 473337 fixing makefile? for SeaMonkey builds
    • test and patch up for bug 485442, one more test to finish.
    • starting new Places wanted bugs
    • Weekend nerd-out sessions are revealing more nuances of SQLite and Storage:)
  • dietrich

    • reviews, etc.


Documentation

  • MDC

    • the migration guide needs history api and dynamic container examples. (dietrich)

    • the design documents linked from MDC need to be written. can probably cull from the old design overview docs.
    • Documentation non-existent:
      • dynamic containers (MaK77)

        • will do as soon as they are working properly


Roundtable

  • Places team in person meeting during All Hands week: Tracy would like to meet Thursday

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress