Meeting Notes

31-August-2009

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-08-31

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-08-31

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Friends of the Tree

Five people, Stuart, Tony, Clint, Tim, and Aakash all wrote in to nominate Joel Maher as a Friend of the Tree for his great work over the last 2-3 weeks

  • Handled and drove Beta 3 maemo AND winmo a3 release testing

  • Created a test harness to run mochitests on winmo
  • Created first test harness to run reftest, crashtest, xpcshell on winmo
  • Driving the log compare effort to get known failures factored out of tinderbox output for maemo tunit reports so that we can have a system that we can use going forward to maintain detailed information about our testing on Fennec and even Firefox going forward.
  • verified 140+ Fennec bugs last week alone
  • leading charge to debug known failures for maemo fennec on tunit
  • Mentoring QAE folks on how to test Fennec, aiding with Fennec testday

And I (Asa) would like to nominate David Tran for all his help this summer in improving the experience of streaming content to Air Mozilla.


Development Updates


Firefox

Firefox Front End Work

Namoroka

  • next milestone: Firefox 3.6 Beta 1

Team News

  • no more interns, boo-hoo


Gecko


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Firefox 3.5.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

  • Firefox 3.0.15 / Firefox 3.5.4

    • please work on your blockers

    • code freeze set for September 22 at 11:59pm
    • targeting mid-late October release


TB 3

Bearing down on 3.0b4:

  • Slushy Code Freeze: Monday 7th Sept 23:59 PDT.

  • Full String Freeze: Wed 9th Sept 23:59 PDT.
  • Code Freeze: Friday 11th Sept 23:59 PDT.
  • l10n Complete: Monday 14th Sept 23:59 PDT.
  • Release builds start: Tues 15th Sept.


Mobile


IT

Last Week

  • VeriSign EV cert for addons.mozilla.org (08/25/2009) bug 503040

  • Added Layer42 as a transit provider in San Jose.
  • Added multi-state flags

This Week

  • The Amsterdam Reboot

    • Turned down sites last week. Did we break anything yet?

    • Derek & Arzhel in transit Tuesday, onsite Wednesday


Release Engineering

  • Fx3.5.3/3.0.14 ETA to beta, 9/1

    • there will be a refreshed major update (MU) offered between these
  • some improvements on the nightly update situation:
    • Armen has landed code to prioritize en-US update generation ahead of l10n updates.

    • we’ve switched l10n nightly builds to be triggered immediately after the en-US nightly rather than at a set time (7am). This means we’ll get l10n nightlies earlier for each platform, and the update generation machine won’t be swamped with a huge batch of updates each morning at 7am PDT.


QA

Test Execution

  • Fx3.5.3/3.0.14 ETA to beta, 9/1

  • Winmo Alpha 3 testing in progress, 2 blocker bugs remain: bug 511535, bug 513520
  • Iterating the list and contacts on the Firefox 3.6 Testplan
  • Investigating crash reports
  • Automating of manual litmus tests progress: Smoketests 88%, BFTs 20%

Web Dev Testing

Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community

  • Community:

  • Accessibility: Reviewed of provided feedback on these bugs. Provided ports and updates to patches for these: bug 499816 and bug 504053. Evaluated both the Yahoo! RichText editor and the CKEditor WYSIWYG editors for web applications to advise on their accessibility.
  • Metrics:
    • Filed a bug on the MAKE rules of security component bug 512341 to allow instrumenting the code base. Provided the solution as well!

    • Mac OS Firefox instrumentation is a success.
    • Investigating the mochitest-browser-chrome test harness hang issue. Seems to be caused by memory leak while switching between private browsing and regular browsing in the harness testing.
    • Started a new usage based code coverage project
    • Mac OS X86 coverage Report

Test Development

  • Have a full run of Reftests over HTTP for Tegra, will put failures into bugs this week.

  • Beginning work with Electrolysis team to work on test harnesses for electrolysis. Our first priority will be testing Out of Process Plugins.
  • Working with Dmandelin to use his python harness for JS Shell testing
  • Released the first release of QAC For Mobile
  • Pushed Mozmill 1.2.1
  • Nearing completion for the log comparison tool to help get the Fennec Test Tree Green
  • More details here.


Security

  • No updates


Marketing/PR

PR

Mozilla Service Week

Events

  • Jornadas Regionales de Software Libre en Chile October 7 – 9, 2009, Santiago, Chile – Sponsoring event and bringing together the Mozilla Hispanic Community. + 2 day MozCamp Prior.

  • WordCamp Philippines September 19, 2009 in Makati City, Philippines – We are sponsoring this event.  Our mission is to help build up the Philippine community and build the Tagalog locale.
  • Philippine Blog Awards October 9, 2009 in Luzon, Philippines – We are sponsoring this event.  Our mission is to help build up the Philippine community and build the Tagalog locale.

Community

Product

  • Currently working on a solution to help our users understand what Plug-ins are and how to update them.

    • Three phase project:


Support

  • One-day sprint to write crash articles for the knowledge base on Thursday September 3

    • Goal is to document the most common crash signatures in Firefox so that they all have a Knowledge Base article explaining the cause of the crash and the way to fix it (and any other info that is relevant).

    • See blog post and list of crash signatures (still being worked on) for more info


Metrics

  • We’re currently implementing a solution that will allow us to easily do optimization testing on Mozilla web sites (e.g., mozilla.com, addons.mozilla.org, support.mozilla.com, etc.). We’ll soon be talking more about goals/objectives and planning (and eventually, findings/impact).


Evangelism

  • Firefox 3.6 documentation is progressing. Don’t forget to tag relevant bugs with the dev-doc-needed keyword so we can find them while looking for the next thing to write about!


Labs

  • Snowl 0.3pre3 has been released. It’s the last preview release before 0.3. It includes some new features and some bug fixes. More info is available in the blog post.
  • Weave 0.6! OMG Weave 0.6! It is released. It has major performance improvements, new better UI on the about:weave page, and better Fennec support.


Developer Tools


Add-ons

  • Lots of new stuff in 5.0.9

    • Collections Phase II

      • Add-on recommendations

      • Collection based statistics
      • Rating for collections
    • Public Stats Dashboard
    • Contributions on search results, home page, and category pages
    • Post-install “Meet the Developer” pages now available via the Developer Tools
  • Next release (5.1!)is 9/24, will be focused on the Developer Hub
  • Join us in Miami on 9/15 or Chicago on 9/29 for our Add-ons meetups


Webdev


L10n

  • Verbatim Alpha launched

  • Jeremy Hiatt intern finished with a presentation to platform on l20n. Blog posts here.
  • Lots of work ahead on Mobile l10n for the client application and web content


Foundation Updates

  • Mark posted extensively on Drumbeat, an initiative to engage huge numbers of people as promoters and stewards of the open web.

    • This is likely major MoFo priority for 2010. Feedback and involvement highly encouraged.

    • A wiki and google group have also been put up to support Drumbeat conversations.


Roundtable


Intern Show & Tell

Eric Hergenrader (metrics) and Anthony Hughes (QA) will be doing their presentation on Thursday, at 2pm PST in the common area.


Other Business

25-August-2009

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2009-08-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2009-08-25

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. Contact at Google says: “We don’t have a good estimate for when GLS will be opening up more broadly, but I will be sure to let you know when we take that step. Sorry that I can not be more specific at this time.” – We can only wait right now.

CLOSED

  • File bug on target milestone and flags for 2.1a1 [KaiRo]. Filed and already fixed as bug 512086 together with the 1.1.19 flags/keyword.


SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta 2

open blockers (4)
blocker requests (0)

  • IanN has started triaging nominations, KaiRo finished them!

  • Code freeze: September 1 – string freeze August 27 (both 23:59 Pacific).
  • Targeted ship date: September 8 (Firefox 3.0.14/3.5.3 are targeted Sep 9).
    • Thunderbird is targeting Beta4 release on 22nd September with 11th September for code freeze.

    • We need to care that they keep shared code stable during the timeframe we need, and the strings in suite/ need to be frozen during our string freeze, which includes mailnews strings. The code freeze period for us should be fairly short, if we have no blockers left on Sep 1, we can do builds on Sep 2 and unfreeze immediately. The string freeze is the real impact.
  • Tabmail is the big missing feature.
    • Should be in final review stages, biggest part is probably IanN’s review.
  • The API changes of bug 474701 would be nice to get, Lightning uses some part of it, filed bug 509324 for that.
  • This is our last beta, and that means that September 1st is also feature freeze for the 2.0 series! Exceptions will only be granted in rare and really-high-value cases.
  • Do we have to look for bugs that may need help making the string freeze?
    • If we have more features to land for the 2.0 cycle, we should really get them pushed into the tree now or wait for 2.1, unless they are really high reward and we think we really want them in 2.0.

    • Thunderbird can’t guarantee that they can hold string freeze past the 2nd.
    • suite/ will accept new strings for a while in September, but we want to keep changes small once we’re officially feature-frozen next Tuesday.
    • If we have all blockers resolved by code freeze next Tuesday, we can start the release process with tagging on Wednesday and once the relbranch is tagged, we can unfreeze.
  • Current blockers: status?
    • bug 474709 Depends on the review, but mcsmurf thinks the patch is good. Note: has string impact.

    • bug 507896 Should not be that difficult to fix [mcsmurf].
    • bug 505832 The relevant AMO people have been poked [KaiRo].


SeaMonkey 2.0 Final

open blockers (4)
blocker requests (36)
open wanted (18)
wanted requests (31)

  • IanN will start triaging blocker and wanted requests.

    • We can probably put off a number of things, where they sound useful, to 2.1a1 or 2.1.
  • Target schedule: Freeze October 6, ship mid-October?
    • Thunderbird is expecting RC1 freeze on 3rd November but string freeze also on October 6 or so.

    • Freeze on October 6th should allow at least a week of string freeze for final and allow us for some time of candidate testing, whether we push them as public RC releases or not.
    • We can look at more details closer to when 2.0b2 is about to go public.


Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 62 new, 26 fixed, 24 triaged.

Major wanted/needed features:


2.0

  • Toolbar customization aftermath [Ratty]

    • bug 481862 We still need small button icons for modern in MailNews. Needs someone who understands both css and svg/graphics.

    • bug 509209 Implement Customizable Toolbars in SeaMonkey Message Compose. Has patch. Waiting reviews.
  • bug 460960 Port Thunderbird tabbed interface to MailNews.
    • It is to be hoped that we can get positive reviews from both IanN and Neil before Thursday so that we can finally land it.
  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac.
    • landed!
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update [Ratty].
    • bug 493022 Add mozapps/ to the modern theme. landed!.

    • Now working on bug 465924 Modern Update: changes in global/. textbox.css, and wizard.css need some minor polish. notification.css needs to be updated but depends on bug 512254 Port bug 429282 (Land new windows icons (20080416)).
  • bug 348720 New icon set for “SeaMonkey Default Theme”.
    • No News.
  • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable.
    • sgautherie is working his way steadily through porting all the relevant Thunderbird bugs.

We also should take a careful look at the other items on wanted-seamonkey2+ for things like
things like:

  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.

  • bug 508039 Port |Bug 456439 - add about:rights and a "Know Your Rights" infobar to Firefox| to SeaMonkey.

If there’s anything on that list you think we shouldn’t take for 2.0 any more, please notify KaiRo, so we can push them to 2.1.


2.1

  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.

    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult


Aqualon


asrail


biesi


Callek


IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.


KaiRo

  • Started release process for SeaMonkey 1.1.18, which has a major NSS upgrade. We found one regression in Windows candidates, a packaging miss rendering SSL unusable, patch is about to be checked in and builds regenerated.

  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work.


mcsmurf

  • Checked in bug 483980 Allow history/bookmark observer components to register with a startup category which fixes bug 484175 History Import from SeaMonkey 1.1.x is not working

  • Fixed bug 495680 Problems with import of downloads.rdf after switch to toolkit download manager
  • Got bug 481836 URLbar autocomplete fills in nonexistant URL going again
  • Created patch for bug 474709 Subscribing to a feed (triggered by an external application) while no RSS account is present, does nothing


Misak

  • Started to port sessionstore bugs again, there is a lot them yet unported. Now working on:

    • bug 511635 Port Bug 455070 [Make sessionStorage object conform the WHATWG spec] to SeaMonkey.

    • bug 510890 Port Bug 394759 (Add undo close window feature) to SeaMonkey.
    • bug 511640 Port Bug 490040 [Reattaching a lone tab into another window causes an empty window to be added to Recently Closed Windows].
    • bug 511823 Port Bug 494543 [Can't add items to Dell.com shopping cart] to SeaMonkey.


Mnyromyr


MReimer


Neil

  • Bugs Fixed:

    • bug 509367 Race condition during parallel build.

    • bug 510786 addrbook.gif needs some transparency.
    • bug 511797 [SeaMonkey] mozilla-central builds do not compile after bug 380917 landing.


Ratty

  • Bugs Fixed:

    • bug 507871 “New Msg” button: Highlight default action in the pull down menu.

    • bug 493022 Add mozapps/ to the modern theme.
  • Working on:
    • bug 465924 Modern Update: changes in global/.

    • bug 509209 Implement Customizable Toolbars in SeaMonkey Message Compose.
    • bug 511096 Port FUEL Bug 458688 (test browser_Browser.js still times out occasionally).
  • Bug triage and bug discussions.
  • AgitProp and PR in http://forums.mozillazine.org/


sgautherie

  • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable

    • Landed the 6 simple patches :-)

    • 1 last patch waits for 2(++) major ports:
      • bug 444913 Port |Bug 413781 – XBLify folder-selection menus| to SeaMonkey

        • mcsmurf replied he believes we don’t have enough review resources for this currently.
      • bug 507601 Port |Bug 414038 – Replace rdf-driven folder pane with a js-driven/non-rdf treeview| to SeaMonkey
        • Landed the 2 simple patches :-)

        • Filed bug 510793 Actually change folder pane from rdf to js, in SeaMonkey
          • Current time target would be between b2 and final…
        • Filed bug 510685 SeaMonkey does want a fix for |Bug 464973 – “Expanded Columns” in the folder pane are no longer available|, unlike Thunderbird
        • Filed bug 510646 Tracking future bugs for “Port |Bug 414038 – Replace rdf-driven folder pane with a js-driven/non-rdf treeview| to SeaMonkey”
      • bug 507676 Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
        • Depends on bug 444913
  • bug 509324 Port the thread pane / folder display refactoring from bug 474701 to SeaMonkey
    • “Triaged” patches and blocking bugs of bug 474701.

    • KaiRo confirmed only one (big) patch needs to be ported for this bug.
  • Fixed SeaMonkey bugs:
    • bug 506850 [MacOSX] mochitest-chrome: test_action_keys_respect_focus.xul reports “Test timed out”

    • bug 509594 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-plain: test_datepicker.xul fails now, conflicts with SeaMonkey (extension) ‘QA’ menu
    • bug 509847 SearchDialog.js: “Warning: assignment to undeclared variable searchFolderURIs”
    • bug 510716 Port |Bug 421781 – Remove fake-account hooks from front-end| to SeaMonkey
  • And working on other areas… like
    • infrastructure to run tests

    • filing bugs for leaks in (TUnit) tests
    • doing a Windows comm-central-trunk SeaMonkey unit test build, reporting to bug 470184 issue tracking; looking forward to an official build when enough new buildbot slaves can be enabled (bug 464325 follow-ups).


Standard8


stefanh


wladow


Any other business?

  • Do we have enough machines for when we branch?

    • We are already running a configuration that is build-wise the same as having an actual branched setup, and in terms of having builds for trunk and branch, we have things up and running.

    • In terms of running tests on both, we are at least missing two machines which were promised to us, KaiRo is working with IT and community giving to get that resolved.
    • But even with those machines, we’ll be overloaded unless the machines magically get significantly faster. We’ll need to take a deeper look into what to do about that later.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-08-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-08-25

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda


Action Items


New


Open

  • Autoconfig process

    • Webapp currently being tested to fix some initial problems, will open up for broader testing soon, i.e., move the webapp to a place where more people can access it.


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 4

  • Note: SeaMonkey requests that mailnews/ and suite/ strings are frozen between Thursday 27th August 23:59 PST and Tuesday 2nd September for their 2.0b2 release.

    • Standard8 has checked [has l10n impact] bugs – all appear to be specific TB strings only.

    • If you need to land strings bugs during that period and are unsure what to do, check with Standard8.
  • Freeze Dates:

    • Slushy Code Freeze: Monday 7th Sept 23:59 PDT.

    • Full String Freeze: Wed 9th Sept 23:59 PDT.
    • Code Freeze: Friday 11th Sept 23:59 PDT.
    • l10n Complete: Monday 14th Sept 23:59 PDT.
    • Release builds start: Tues 15th Sept.
  • Release Driver: Standard8

  • Build Engineer: gozer


Thunderbird 3

  • Schedule (proposed, may change nearer b4):

    • Final l10n String Freeze: Tuesday 29th Sept 23:59 PST

    • Approvals/Blockers only: from Tuesday 6th October 23:59 PST
    • Aiming to start RC1 builds on: 3rd Nov.
    • Subsequent RCs as necessary.
  • Please set bugs to assigned status (as well as owner to you) if you want to do them.

  • If you have other bugs assigned to you that you don’t want to do, please reassign or discuss with drivers.


QA Updates

  • 2.0.0.23 is out !

  • Continuing work on cleaning up bugzilla
  • We will start presenting the people doing some of the QA to the public in september
  • Need to start getting new people on board between b4 and final


Marketing Updates

  • Final Icon iteration Last chance for feedback. Will get smaller sizes this week and wrap it up.

  • Top articles this week Will be publishing these via SpreadThunderbird going forward.
  • Coordinating launch activities with PR team.


IT update

  • Windows: Microsoft Exchange 2007 up and running for testing

    • Add your details to bug 511878 if you want access
  • hg.mozilla.org had reliability issues last week bug 511258
    • Lots of spurious bustage as a result

    • The bug is closed, but we are still seeing intermittent issues
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 went live on www.mozillamessaging.com


Documentation


Support

See graphic below for stats Tuesday August 18, 2009 to Monday August 24, 2009, will provide more commentary and pull out selected stats for September 1, 2009 meeting.


Roundtable


Status Updates


sid0


davida
  • last week

    • vacation
  • this week
    • driving

    • blogging


dmose
  • last week

    • driving

    • message header coding
    • started working on review backlog
  • this week
    • message header coding

    • reviews
    • sec meeting plan


Standard8
  • Reviews & Driving

  • Find & Zoom
    • bug 510760 Fix find in new message not working on message tabs when preview pane not shown.

    • bug 495922 Implement zoom on collapsed threads and summary pane (and fix zoom not working on message tabs when preview pane not shown).
  • Content Tabs
    • bug 503299 window.close() from a content tab closes Thunderbird window.

    • bug 512245 Implement tab persist for content tabs.
  • LDAP Autoconfig (bug 502597)
    • Found a simpler solution of moving some files into the LDAP code base. Need to chat with dmose about this solution.
  • Misc
    • bug 491921 Fixed up the mozmill js content policy test – still need to do tests for the other content policies.

    • bug 508694 Don’t show the summary pages for newsgroups as we don’t get useful summary text (we’ll turn it back on for offline newsgroups once we get bug 478167).
    • bug 511847 [autoconfig] Setting invalid hostname then correcting can lead to -1 being displayed in insecure notices.


asuth
  • Facet for gloda, patch in a “couple” of days.


bienvenu
  • Reviews and Driving

  • Trying to setup environment to test SSPI crash
  • Potential fix for top crash in nsMsgDBView::FindHdr bug 503854
  • Don’t create duplicate Archives folder if there’s an existing archive folder (i.e., folder with a different case name), bug 484329
  • Fixed indentation level for threaded quick search views, bug 505967
  • Ignore folder deleted notifications if the account/server was removed, bug 500970
  • Fixed imap undo from gmail trash, and when the source folder has been expunged, and add unit test,bug 323875
  • Add null check to fix crash in nsImapMailFolder::RenameClient, bug 486485
  • Fixed gloda indexing stopping when some other activity clears the msg folder’s cached db, and add a test case bug 511609
  • fix bug 505974, crash in OnItemRemoved deleting a local folder with saved search sub-folders
  • Fixed localized special imap folders when creating account with new auto config wizard,bug 508026


gozer
  • Build

    • Signing

      • Completed dry-run of signing automation successfully
    • Release automation
      • Initial testing looks very promising

      • Will be running live release tests in staging this week
    • hg.mozilla.org had reliability issues last week bug 511258
      • Lots of spurious bustage as a result

      • The bug is closed, but we are still seeing intermittent issues
      • l10n repacks suffered too as a result (busted checkouts/clones)
  • Web

  • Infrastructure

    • Setup initial Windows test farm

      • Domain Controller

      • Microsoft Exchange 2007


clarkbw


wsmwk


beckley


Penelope


KaiRo


rkent

I’ve got one risky patch still in review (bug 127250 “Body” filter for IMAP messages downloaded for offline use) that drivers may want to examine, as this patch needs to land a least a week before any code freeze due to its risk. Postponing until 3.1 would not break my heart, but it would increase the total work involved. I’ve got another few bugs in review that I am less concerned about though are important to me, including:

  • bug 496015, which adds the final hooks needed for minimal junk support in news.

  • bug 511131, which exposes the full search capability to users in the advanced search dialog.

I’ll still be cleaning up issues as I find them in the areas that I work in plus helping out a little in blockers, but otherwise a lot of my attention will be shifting to getting my extensions re-released, which mostly serve as demonstrations of new back-end features of TB. I’m also starting to organize collections of junk mail in preparation to support a shared junk file using the features of bug 506397 “Support multiple spam corpus files”.


rebron
  • Coordinating with PR team for launch activities.

    • Task list, web site content updates, product demo, reviewer’s guide.
  • Wrapping up icon, starting discussions on swag/promo materials for launch.


Tsk

done:

  • 2.0.0.23 testing for release

  • QA event

todo:

  • Working on upcoming test day

  • start trying to get a few more people on board.


andreasn
  • This week

    • Continue Unclutter gnomestripe bug 505721

    • Gloda faceting look & feel
    • More Vista fixes now that a bunch got into trunk.
    • Look into account sizes some more bug 416263


bwinton

Last week:

This week:


roland

Last Week:

  • integrated Get Satisfaction (GS) widgets into support page, awaiting Silver Orange design tweaks before pushing live

  • support backlog on GS, managed to do about 5-10 per day
  • 1st GS day, August 20, wrote README to help new folks

This Week:

  • move support content from mozilla.org to mozillamessaging.com

  • more GS backlog reduction
  • more GS How Tos including editing README, tagging convention
  • formal support plan


nth10sd


Attendees

bwinton, roland, davida, bienvenu, standard!, _Tsk_, gozer, clarkwb, Kairo, rkent, dmose, rebron

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-08-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2009-08-25

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.14 / Firefox 3.5.3

  • in QA, builds available

  • targeting release for early/mid September

Firefox 3.0.15 / Firefox 3.5.4

  • schedule set

  • please work on your blockers
  • code freeze is September 22

Firefox 3.6a1

  • Active Daily User numbers stabilized

    • 13,000 on Firefox 3.6 Alpha 1

    • 5,000 on Namaroka nightly builds (2k on mozilla-central nightlies)

Firefox 3.6b1

  • string-frozen (need dates and deadlines)

  • co-ordinated with Fennec RC?
  • component leads need to identify P1 issues for this beta


Blocker Report

Gecko 1.9.2 / Namoroka


Browser / Front End

  • see our active projects and get involved / propose others

  • published initial draft roadmap for product deliverables through the end of 2010
  • for Namoroka/mozilla-1.9.2:
    • looks like it will be possible to integrate Personas for Firefox 3.6

    • also looking at protecting users with out of date plugins, see our current ideas
    • also looking at Ts and Tsnap priorities
  • for future/mozilla-central:
    • last call for comments on the multitouch JS API prototype work (see proposed DOM events)

    • identifying places where animation in the browser would help the UX (blog post coming)
    • new UI mechanism for application notifications (see the spec)
  • drafting a set of core principles for Firefox development; currently messy, hope to have something to publish later this week
  • building product feature roadmap through the end of 2010
  • Planet Firefox is up and a good source for posts about ongoing front-end development


GFX Update

  • Decode-on-draw bug 435296

    • Preliminary review done by joe and addressed by bholley

    • ready for formal review


Layout Update

  • CSS Transitions close to landing (dbaron)

  • Harfbuzz running on Windows (jfkthame)
  • Ongoing SVG animation improvements (birtles, dholbert)
  • Fixing compositor regressions (roc)


Content Update

  • 1.9.2

    • 11 blockers left.
  • Trunk:
    • Fixed some COW wrapper followup bugs.

    • XBL2: Jonas is done with his GetDocument/GetOwnerDoc/GetCurrentDoc audit and changes to the layout code. Need to get this in soon to avoid severe bitrot.
    • Henri is continuing to make progress towards moving parts of the HTML5 parser off the main thread.
    • mrbkap’s got a proposal for a Jetpack security model.


Platform-specific Support Update


JS

  • just merged a bunch of things, should be perf wins and Google Docs regression fixes
  • nanojit merge almost complete, still a 500-line delta or so.
  • tracing native getters almost landed


Startup Performance

Weekly summary is here.


Security


Electrolysis

Plugins:

  • karlt and jmuizelaar will work on windowless plugins (linux+windows)

  • josh meeting with Safari/webkit developers about OOP plugins on mac today

Fennelectrolysis:

  • graphics still pending (joedrew)

Necko:

  • Still some hiccups with necko protocol init

  • design meeting this week

Other:

  • mrbkap to implement on a cross-process JS wrapper


Tree Management

  • getting new n810s into production; uphill struggle

  • new small/med dirty profile talos suites
  • removed tp3, fasttalos suites
  • l10n nightly updates
    • on m-c, 192

    • causing delays in en-US nightly updates
    • 191 on hold, while we sort out bottleneck, worried about looping the day
  • moved some fennec tests to VMs
  • splitting of production-master/production-master02 went well
    • ironing out sharing of slaves, watching wait times


Roundtable

  • Are we going to have a status192 flag or not? It’s not clear what the outcome of the last discussion was.
  • compiler change: Linux m-c builds to move from GCC 4.1 to GCC 4.3.4 sometime when I can close the tree for a few hours (bsmedberg)

24-August-2009

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-08-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-08-24

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Friends of the Tree

Austin King wrote in “Milos Dinic – for his work on Mozilla Service Week. He contributed with a patch, filed several bugs, and helped testing the L10n release. He is the Serbian Mozilla Community Leader”

Sarah Doherty wrote “I would like to nominate Kwamena Appiah-Kubi for Friends of the Tree. He is one of our Campus Reps from Kwame Nkrumah University Of Science and Technology (KNUST) and did an amazing job organizing a group of community members to represent Mozilla at Maker Faire Africa in Accra, Ghana. Thanks Kwamena!”

Akash Desai wrote in “Kbrosnan and KenS deserve some major props for their contributions on the Fennec 1.0 Beta Testday! Specifically, kbrosnan was an advocate for the community in the channel and also filed 4 bugs on the day. Also, KenS was out top tester by running through 51 testcases on litmus for Fennec and find 1 bug on the day.”


Development Updates


Firefox

Firefox Front End Work

Namoroka

  • next milestone: Firefox 3.6 Beta 1

  • still working through triage, waiting on some l10n estimates in order to get a timeline fleshed out, looking at mid-to-late September for a beta
  • goals are startup time, responsiveness, Windows 7 readiness and polish
  • stretch goals include things like determining if Personas can be included as well as some changes to how the updater works to include plugin updates

Team News

  • this is Matthew Noorenberghe’s last week with us as a Firefox intern, he’ll be finishing up work on the new notification UI project this week

  • the whole team is in Mountain View this week, hanging out in “Very Strong, Very Mighty”


Gecko


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Firefox 3.5.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

  • Firefox 3.0.15 / Firefox 3.5.4

    • schedule, queries available on the wiki

    • targeting mid-late October release
    • code freeze is September 22 at 11:59pm


TB 3

Target dates (subject to change):

  • 3.0b4 (see Standard8’s blog post for more info)

    • Slushy Code Freeze: Monday 7th Sept 23:59 PDT.

    • Full String Freeze: Wed 9th Sept 23:59 PDT.
    • Code Freeze: Friday 11th Sept 23:59 PDT.
    • l10n Complete: Monday 14th Sept 23:59 PDT.
    • Release builds start: Tues 15th Sept.
  • 3.0RC1

    • Final l10n String Freeze: Tuesday 29th Sept 23:59 PST

    • Approvals/Blockers only: from Tuesday 6th October 23:59 PST
    • Aiming to start RC1 builds on: 3rd Nov.
    • Subsequent RCs as necessary.


Mobile


IT

Last Week

  • hg issues

    • changed Apache to spawn new thread per request

This Week

  • New log processing box for metrics (im-log03)

  • VeriSign EV cert for addons.mozilla.org (08/25/2009) bug 503040
  • Turning up Layer42

The Amsterdam Reboot

  • Will start turning down Amsterdam websites Tuesday night


Release Engineering

  • hg woes last week

  • Fennec 1.0b3, TB2.0.0.23 shipped
  • FF3.0.14, FF3.5.3 (with unprompted major update)
  • bunch more nokias coming online
  • disabled tp3
  • l10n nightlies updates working fine so far
    • only worries so far are some delays with en-US nightly updates, being worked on.


QA

Test Execution

  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 – Finished BFTs, l10n testing, and Releasetest and Release update testing

  • Working on bug fix verification for Firefox 3.0.14 and 3.5.3
  • Working draft Firefox 3.6 Testplan is up
  • Tested and shipped Fennec 1.0 beta 3 last week
  • Tegra testing now has software updates checked in, and about 800 reftests executed and running

Web Dev Testing

  • Mozilla Creative Collective and Mozilla Service Week releases were shipped this week.

  • Testing AMO 5.0.9 features. Added 4 Litmus test cases for login section. Also wrote 6 automated Selenium test cases.
  • Verified bug fixes Sumo 1.3 and wrote litmus test cases
  • Wrote Litmus test cases for Spread Firefox and mozilla.com

Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community

  • Community:

    • Held a Fennec 1.0 Beta Testday. Results can be found here

      • Verified over 300 bugs last week! (thanks to aakash and joel)
    • Help a Code Coverage QA meet-up last Wednesday. We had a good discussion about what works and wha tto watch out for. See Preso.
    • Coordinating with Florian from OpenOffice about the next Opensource Meetup on September 25
  • Accessibility:
    • Reviewed bug 510441. This important for NVDA grant work on improving WAI-ARIA support.

    • Marcoz became a moderator in the German camp-firefox.de community (the largest Firefox-based forum) in the newly created form “Barrierefreiheit” (German for “accessibility”). This is a great opportunity to help community members there.
    • Went to the Best Practices Stammtisch Essen on Monday August 17, and gave a talk on WAI-ARIA. We looked at Accessible Twitter as an example of good usage of WAI-ARIA landmark roles. The “Best Practices Stammtisch Essen” is a bi-weekly meetup of web workers from the Ruhrgebiet area in Germany, exchanging knowledge in areas such as accessibility, HTML5 and other topics. They looked at CSS3 transforms in action. See blog about the positive accessibility impacts of using them.
  • Projects Metrics (AKA Firefly)

Test Development

  • Got reftests running over http (pointing tests to an external http server)

    • Only three tests fail when running with Firefox

    • Used this to run 800 tests on windows CE (before Firefox crashed)
  • Landed JS Ref tests – you can now run JS tests in the browser using a reftest style manifest
  • Worked a lot on Mobile last week
  • Tags implemented for Test Case Manager, almost ready to release a preview for feedback
  • More notes here


Security

  • No updates.


Marketing/PR

PR

Mozilla Service Week

  • Overall update:

    • Pledge hours are close to 4,000 (up over a 1,000 hours from last week)

    • Great blog coverage – more to come.
    • Featured on Case Foundation home page!
  • Wondering how you can be a part of Mozilla Service Week?
  • We’re still going global!
    • SQ and KO going live this week

Events

  • Jornadas Regionales de Software Libre en Chile October 7 – 9, 2009, Santiago, Chile – Sponsoring event and bringing together the Mozilla Hispanic Community. + 2 day MozCamp Prior.

  • WordCamp Philippines September 19, 2009 in Makati City, Philippines – We are sponsoring this event.  Our mission is to help build up the Philippine community and build the Tagalog locale.
  • Philippine Blog Awards October 9, 2009 in Luzon, Philippines – We are sponsoring this event.  Our mission is to help build up the Philippine community and build the Tagalog locale.
  • Festschrift Symposium on Mitchell Wand September 19, 2009 in Boston, MA.  We are sponsoring this event.  Our labs intern, Brandon Pung is representing Mozilla at the event.

Community


Support


Metrics


Evangelism

  • Mozilla Developer Center

    • As always, make sure your bugs are tagged with the dev-doc-needed keyword if they will need explaining to developers or web developers.

    • Fixed at least most of the problems left over after the server glitch last week. Still sorting out the outlying cases.
    • Can now sort tables on MDC, which will make many things nicer.
    • Preparing to upgrade MDC to the just-about-to-release MindTouch 9.08 release.
    • Dealing with crashes of MDC (it’s the database server)


Labs

  • Labs Night this Thursday, 6-8pm in Ten Forward. Guest speakers will be Li Gong from Mozilla Online in Beijing, and a mystery guest speaker

  • The new Labs website is live.
  • We have a new beta of Jetpack 0.5, with improved security and audio support.
  • We also announced a contest to write the coolest Jetpack extension (Deadline October 15).
  • Weave 0.6pre, with the final Weave 0.6 release hopefully this week. It includes better Fennec UI, better error handling, and about:weave, a new web-based UI for logging in and creating accounts.


Developer Tools


Add-ons


Webdev


L10n


Foundation Updates


Roundtable


Intern Show & Tell

No more Show & Tell, but a whole lot of Interns Presentations:
https://intranet.mozilla.org/2009Interns#Interns_Brownbags


Other Business

18-August-2009

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2009-08-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2009-08-18

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :


Agenda


Action Items


New


Open

  • Autoconfig process

    • Webapp currently being tested to fix some initial problems, will open up for broader testing soon, i.e., move the webapp to a place where more people can access it.


Closed


Thunderbird 3 Beta 4

  • Freeze Dates:

    • Slushy Code Freeze: Monday 7th Sept 23:59 PDT.

    • Full String Freeze: Wed 9th Sept 23:59 PDT.
    • Code Freeze: Friday 11th Sept 23:59 PDT.
    • l10n Complete: Monday 14th Sept 23:59 PDT.
    • Release builds start: Tues 15th Sept.
  • Release Driver: Standard8

  • Build Engineer: gozer


Thunderbird 3

  • Schedule (proposed, may change nearer b4):

    • Final l10n String Freeze: Tuesday 29th Sept 23:59 PST

    • Approvals/Blockers only: from Tuesday 6th October 23:59 PST
    • Aiming to start RC1 builds on: 3rd Nov.
    • Subsequent RCs as necessary.
  • Please set bugs to assigned status (as well as owner to you) if you want to do them.

  • If you have other bugs assigned to you that you don’t want to do, please reassign or discuss with drivers.


QA Updates

  • Working with the Moco Folks on the 2.0.0.23 releases.

  • Cleaning up bugzilla went well even without a formal bugday.
  • Schedule for the upcoming weeks (for b4 release):
    • Regular bug days on 20/08/2009, 27/08/2009, 03/09/2009 If you want these to become special test days let me know

    • Test day on 10/09/2009 for new features in b4
    • Litmus test run starting 16/09/2009 (Planned BFT)
  • Thank you Gary – gary no longer an intern.

  • Post b4 we’ll have a migrate from 2.0.x day


Marketing Updates

  • Press coverage: Outlook for Mac Office, Top Webmail Providers

  • I have iteration 7 of the logo ready to post. Minor tweaks from last version, working on small icons and will post those soon.
  • Revising marketing calendar for launch.
  • Mozilla Service workshop tomorrow August 19th at 9 a.m. PDT/16:00, +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#


IT update

  • All Hands

  • All new hires (and some old ones) sorted out
  • Thunderbird Beta 3 uptake still rising, reached over 20,000 visitors
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.23


Documentation

  • last week: all-hands

  • STEEL docs (w. help from Standard8)
  • re-write tutorial


Roundtable


Status Updates


nth10sd


sid0
  • Landed bug 501516 dealing with search windows.

  • Worked on bug 507593.
  • Won’t be available through this week and the next.


davida

on vacation


dmose
  • Last week

    • 2.0.0.23 work

    • Driving
    • MoMo all-hands meetings in Vancouver
  • This week
    • Driving

    • Message header work


Standard8
  • Reviews & Driving

  • All-hands discussions
  • bug 486432 Provide Help menu item to get back to what’s new tab
  • bug 498343 Account Central gives unread and total counts in status bar (shows -1 for accounts), also hide counts for non-folder type tabs
  • Various packaging synchronisations for trunk
  • Content Tabs:
    • bug 510312 Notification Bars

    • Also looked at including satchel (for password form fill), and further work on enabling limited browsing.


asuth


bienvenu
  • All hands meeting in Vancouver

  • Reviews and Driving
  • Got some old bugs off my bug list, either by closing them or assigning them to nobody – cut list by > 10% – it’s a start.
  • Ignore virtual and no select folders when compacting all imap folders, bug 510645
  • Close db’s when desktop search integration code is done looking for messages to index, cuts down on memory bloat when that feature is enabled bug 462539
  • Fix handling of saved searches over new messages when msgs are moved/deleted, bug 372372
  • Add backend for offline imap store date constraints, with unit test bug 482476
  • Fix memory leak doing imap moves in filters, bug 507285
  • Fix crash in going online after emptying imap trash, bug 480990
  • Make imap auto sync wait until the 3-pane ui has come up to start paying attention to idle events, bug 509991


gozer
  • Last week

    • All hands

    • Work on 2.0.0.23
    • l10n-merge fixes, running everywhere
    • Working on Windows e-mail testing services


clarkbw
  • All Hands Meeting – Vancouver

  • ui-reviews


wsmwk
  • crashes:

    • TB2

      • nominated for TB2.next bug 284876 Trunk TB10 crash while sending mail [@ nsMsgLocalMailFolder::WriteStartOfNewMessage() ]

      • but otherwise TB20022 crash rate is quite low and thus probably not worth monitoring further
    • TB3 – reviewed all top crashers so all have bugs and are marked blocking, removed nominations for bugs that are no longer topcrash


beckley


Penelope


KaiRo


rkent


rebron
  • All hands

  • Bug 368924 Scam list can be hooked up now.

This week

  • Working through PR and launch plan task list.

  • Getting web site updates ready for launch/localization.


Tsk
  • Last week

    • All hands

    • Work on 2.0.0.23
  • This week

    • work on 2.0.0.23

    • Usual weekly work


andreasn
  • Last week:

    • All hands

    • gnomestripe and qute-aero bug fixes.


bwinton

Last two weeks:

This week:


roland

Last week:

  • all hands

  • support plan presentation

This week:

  • More Support Get Satisfaction catchup of the current 294 topics

  • Get Satisfaction widgets on the main support page
  • Start moving support content to mozillamessaging.com
  • Start writing formal support plan for Thunderbird 3 Beta 4 and Thunderbird 3 release in light of all hands and new dates


Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-08-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2009-08-18

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.14 / Firefox 3.5.3

  • code frozen

  • targeting release for early/mid September

Firefox 3.0.15 / Firefox 3.5.4

  • no schedule set yet

  • blocker owners will get emails this week

Firefox 3.6a1

  • Active Daily User numbers stabilized

    • 13,000 on Firefox 3.6 Alpha 1

    • 5,000 on Namaroka nightly builds (2k on mozilla-central nightlies)

Firefox 3.6b1

  • string-frozen (need dates and deadlines)

  • co-ordinated with Fennec RC?
  • component leads need to identify P1 issues for this beta

mozilla-1.9.2

  • branch took place on August 13th, 2009

  • mozilla-central re-opened for checkins at noon PDT
  • last common changeset is c95ef80a5f20
  • first divergent changeset is 93a7af291db1 (the ones before that landed on both branches)
  • if you started using a trunk nightly before August 13th, 2009, you are now a mozilla-1.9.2 nightly user; to get back on to mozilla-central nightlies, get a fresh latest-trunk build


Blocker Report

Gecko 1.9.2 / Namoroka


Browser / Front End

  • see our active projects and get involved / propose others

    • multitouch JS API prototype work (see proposed DOM events)

    • identifying places where animation in the browser would help the UX (blog post coming)
    • new UI mechanism for application notifications (see the spec)
    • struck a team to evaluate if it will be possible to integrate Personas for Firefox 3.6
    • meeting with the JetPack team to discuss how to build Firefox in ways that help them (providing APIs, etc)
    • also looking at protecting users with out of date plugins, see our Firefox/Projects/Plugin_Update_Referrals current ideas
    • also looking at Ts and Tsnap priorities


GFX Update

  • Decode-on-draw is getting close to review-worthy. bug 435296

  • Mark Steele starting work on WebGL implementation.
    • Updating Vlad’s work with new spec changes – native arrays


Layout Update

  • 24 open blocking1.9.2+ bugs in Layout

    • 7 are regressions from ireflow (there’s also 1 in Widget)

    • 1 is a regression from compositor phase 1 (there’s also 1 in Plugins)
  • dholbert making progress on code to be shared between SMIL animation of CSS and CSS transitions (bug 504652)
  • first parts of zwol’s frame poisoning work now landed on mozilla-central (but not the main patch) (bug 497495)
  • roc’s scroll optimization patch landed on mozilla-central and 1.9.2 (bug 507334)


Content Update

  • 1.9.2:

    • 13 open blocking1.9.2+ bugs in Content

    • 12 nominations, will triage…
  • Investigating twitter bug bug 510985.
  • Making progress on multi process networking.
  • peterv is making progress on ibench numbers, but not clear how heavily to invest there.
  • HTML5 parser work ongoing, including some 1.9.2 blockers there.
  • First pass at a Jetpack security model done.


Platform-specific Support Update

  • Good progress on 64-bit Mac OS X builds. Once patch for bug 435041 lands, only remaining work is complex text input (masayuki) and Cocoa printing (mstange).

  • Gecko1.9.2/Firefox3.6 and Java for Mac OS X: There is currently no Java plugin for Firefox 3.6 on Mac OS X due to the removal of OJI, LiveConnect, and XPCOM plugin support. JEP requires those components. A new Java plugin is due to be released within a month which will be compatible with Firefox 3.6.


JS

  • 1.9.2 blockers need to be re-triaged

  • JS trace tests refactored
  • large parts of nanojit merge complete
  • GC responsiveness issues continue to improve (code cache no longer flushed on GC)


Startup Performance

  • Joel

    • read up on previous optimization efforts and will start running Firefox in Shark very shortly.
  • Taras
  • Drew
    • Linking XPTs on Mac landing this week
  • Vlad/Ddahl
    • Startup timeline has review, landing soon.
  • Dietrich
    • Enabling PGO for SQLite, mozStorage and Places code on m-c this week

    • Got JS components joined (thanks to some help from fqueze), testing now for perf effect
    • Dirty profile testing being enabled this week by Alice, testing two different Places profiles. More coming – send suggestions of dirty testing to me
    • Details of other ongoing work available on my weekly update blog post and on the project wiki.


Security


Electrolysis

Necko:

  • Close to having necko IPC protocol hooked up and initialized

  • Some high-level design progress (from conversation with BZ)
    • IPC probably “main chrome thread <-> content process”, not “Socket transport thread <-> content process”

    • Probably use “if(ContentProcess)” within existing necko code, rather than create new set of classes for Content-side necko.
  • Issue: which protocols (network; file?) need IPC?
  • Issue: goodbye standalone necko?
  • Set up design discussion for workweek

Plugins:

  • NPStream implementation uncovered some nasty race conditions… discussion ongoing in mdt.dom and chromium-dev

  • It’s at least clear that prior run-to-completion behavior within the plugin itself will no longer be true

Fennelectrolysis:

  • joe still working on tilebrowser graphics: ETA undetermined

  • need basic graphics before people can really start working on events


Tree Management

  • TB2.0.0.23 this week

  • Turned off TP3, fast-talos machines yesterday.
    • yeaaaah for faster, newer, TP4!
  • New dirty-profile talos suite coming later this week.
  • l10n nightly updates on mozilla-central as of Sunday night (16th).
    • users on nightly before 16th need to manually pave-over-install like usual

    • working on getting l10n nightly updates on 1.9.2
  • WinCE build-on-checkin now on mozilla-central, mozilla-192
    • no unittests, talos
  • proposed changes to fennec linux-arm unittest/talos jobs
    • run desktop unittests during the day, on n810s at night

    • will add another 20 n810s to the (tiny) pool, and revisit.


Roundtable

  • Project metrics charts (timr)

  • Who is allowed to mark approval1.9.2+ ? (dbaron)
    • Answer: all drivers, not just endgame drivers
  • should we mark the set of bugs that are fixed on mozilla-1.9.2 by virtue of branching as fixed1.9.2+ (beltzner)

17-August-2009

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2009-08-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2009-08-17

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Friends of the Tree


Development Updates


Firefox

Firefox Front End Work

Namoroka

  • all future milestones will be built off the new mozilla-1.9.2 branch

  • next milestone: Firefox 3.6 Beta 1
  • working through triage now, hope to have a beta -> final schedule by the end of the week
  • goals are startup time, responsiveness, Windows 7 readiness and polish
  • stretch goals include things like determining if Personas can be included as well as some changes to how the updater works to include plugin updates

Team News

  • this is Felipe Gomes’s last week with us, he’ll be posting some videos of the multitouch work he’s been doing soon

  • the team will be gathering in Mountain View during the last week of August


Gecko

  • Two new members of the Platform team today:

    • Joel Reymont joins us as a contractor who is focusing on Mac performance, with first task of focusing on Mac start-up perf. Word is, Joel lives and works on a boat of the coast of Spain.

    • Ben Hsieh joins us today, a General Platform engineer reporting to me (Damon). Ben is a recent Stanford CS grad.

Welcome Joel and Ben!


Branch work: Firefox 3.0.x / Firefox 3.5.x / Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

  • Firefox 3.0.13 -> 3.5.2 major update

    • major update was on the wire since 3.5.2 shipped (users had to “check for updates”)

    • “unthrottled” the offer on Thursday
    • Firefox 3.0.13 users will now receive an offer to update automatically


TB 3

  • Serious bug cutting underway

  • Target dates for 3.0b4 and 3.0RC1 will be posted shortly
  • Mozilla Messaging team had productive on-site in Vancouver last week


Mobile


IT

Bad weekend for databases:

Miscellaneous

  • Starting to plan an Amsterdam Reboot ~ Sept 01/2009

  • Catching up on downtime events


Release Engineering

  • l10n nightly updates on mozilla-central http://armenzg.blogspot.com/2009/08/updates-nightly-just-en-us.html

  • now that tp4 has been out for a while, turning off tp3, fast-talos
  • cool new mobile flashing work
  • cleanup after the whole batch of releases
    • Funnelcake 9

    • FF3.6a1
    • FF3.0.13 (with refreshed MU)
    • FF3.5.2
    • enabled MU for idle-background notification
    • TB2.0.0.23
    • redoing Fennec 1.0b3


QA

Test Execution

  • Tested TB2.0.0.23 to beta. Coordinated testing with Mozilla Messaging Test team.

  • QAlab now has a test-generating EVCert server running. Details here. Thanks to Anthony Hughes and Juan Becerra for a half year of work to get this up!
  • Firefox 3.6alpha litmus testrun published. Firefox Tegra testrun too.

Web Dev Testing

Metrics, Accessibility, Localization, Community

  • Community:

  • Project Metrics (AKA: Firefly):
    • Murali generated bug metrics for for 1.9.2 Blocking and Nominated bugs. These graphs are by assignee, priority, severity, product and component. These are automated (src) and will be kept up to date.

    • We also have more reliable automated code coverage results coming from the build infrastructure. Serialized mochitest runs and automated javascript testing are in place. Thanks joduinn and catlee!
    • We are pursuing code coverage for Electrolysis. See bug 510232.

Test Development

  • JS Reftests passed review, going to try server today

  • Running Mochtiests 1 by 1 are beginning to pay off on Windows Mobile
  • Beginning work to port QAC to Fennec
  • Investigating running reftests while keeping the tests on the remote server, something we need for wince and winmo
  • First run at the new Test Case Manager presented to QAE


Security


Marketing/PR

PR

Mozilla Service Week

  • Official media push & pledge period kicks off tomorrow, Aug. 18th!

    • Please let me know if you already have a Service Week idea and we’ll feature it in our blog post.

    • Announcing the various ways to contribute to Mozilla Service Week as well
  • ES, IT, DE & FR will go live
  • We’re hosting an online workshop on August 19th at 9 a.m. PDT to how to get involved with Mozilla Service Week from a promotion and contribution perspective. Info:
    • Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391#

    • Or you can use our toll-free number: +1.800.707.2533, followed by 369# and then 7391#. If you’re outside the US, use Skype to call in with our toll-free number.
    • You can also watch the meeting live in Open Video at http://air.mozilla.com
    • For those that can’t make the call or want to participate online, join us in #moservice on IRC (irc.mozilla.org).

Events

Community

  • The Mozilla Creative Collective is gearing up for a beta release this week! Stay tuned for the official announcement on the Mozilla Blog. http://creative.mozilla.org/


Support


Metrics

  • No updates.


Evangelism


Labs

  • We released Test Pilot 0.1.

  • There have been about 12,000 respondents to the initial Test Pilot survey but they are extremely skewed towards the tech-expert, early-adopter demographic. (They’re also 97% male). We’re looking for suggestions on how to reach out to a wider audience.
  • Suggestions for experiments to be done with Test Pilot can be added to our test proposals page.
  • We released Ubiquity 0.5.4. Aside from bugfixes and localization improvements, it has optimizations that speed up parsing by 100%. Twice as fast! Woo!
  • The new Labs website version 2.0 should be launched this week.


Developer Tools


Add-ons

  • blog post from Fligtar on Add-on usage went out last week.

  • 5.0.9 code freeze this week
    • Bandwagon Phase II (stats and recommendations)

    • Contributions update (now on category pages and front page)


Webdev


L10n

  1. AMO strings have been converted to normal gettext strings, with lingering fixes needed to complete the conversion

  2. L20n development: investigating other implementations including the YAML format. Post from jhiatt is forthcoming
  3. Google snippets are updated
  4. Documentation inventory is mostly completed and rewriting primary l10n docs is underway
  5. Productization dashboard development progressing. We hope to have an implementation ready for viewing by the end of August
  6. Sign-off app demo-ed for IT, preparing to stage the entire application on a server in San Jose to test


Foundation Updates

  • mozilla.org relaunch scheduled for next Tuesday, August 25.


Roundtable


Intern Show & Tell

This week we have the following interns presenting:


Other Business

11-August-2009

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2009-08-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2009-08-11

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

  • File bug on target milestone and flags for 2.1a1 [KaiRo].

OPEN

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. Contact at Google says: “We don’t have a good estimate for when GLS will be opening up more broadly, but I will be sure to let you know when we take that step. Sorry that I can not be more specific at this time.” – We can only wait right now.

CLOSED


SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta 2

open blockers (6)
blocker requests (2)

  • IanN has started triaging nominations.

  • Targeted freeze date: 1st September.
  • More detailed schedule? String freeze, targeted ship date?
    • We would then expect at least a week between freeze and release, as Firefox does, also at least two workdays and a weekend between string freeze and code freeze.

    • If we stick to 1st September as code freeze, string freeze would be 27th August and 8th September as target release date. All are agreed.
    • Thunderbird is targeting Beta4 release on 22nd September with 11th September for code freeze.
    • We need to care that they keep shared code stable during the timeframe we need, and the strings in suite/ need to be frozen during our string freeze, which includes mailnews strings. The code freeze period for us should be fairly short, if we have no blockers left on Sep 1, we can do builds on Sep 2 and unfreeze immediately. The string freeze is the real impact.
  • Tabmail and the new Mac theme are the two big missing features.
    • Both should be in final review stages. The biggest part is probably IanN’s tabmail review.
  • The API changes of bug 474701 would be nice to get, Lightning uses some part of it, filed bug 509324 for that.
  • Current blockers: The add-on blocklist is easy once we have the AMO one updated. The installer icon thing is something mcsmurf needs to look at. History import needs some a1913 poking.


SeaMonkey 2.0 Final

open blockers (4)
blocker requests (36)
open wanted (16)
wanted requests (31)

  • IanN will start triaging blocker and wanted requests.

  • This is our last beta, and that means that 1st September is also feature freeze for the 2.0 series! Exceptions will only be granted in rare and really-high-value cases.
  • Target schedule? Freeze early October, ship mid-October?
    • Thunderbird is expecting RC1 freeze on 3rd. November.

    • We didn’t do RC releases for 1.0 or 1.1. Do we want to do those now? how much time would we need between an RC and the next or final to gather feedback?
    • IanN thinks we should have at least one RC just to make sure there are no show stoppers.
    • We traditionally freeze on Tuesdays, so RC1 on 6th October should allow at least a week of string freeze for final and allow us for some time of candidate testing, whether we push them as public RC releases or not.


Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 57 new, 26 fixed, 135 triaged.

Major wanted/needed features:

  • Toolbar customization aftermath:

    • bug 481862 We still need small button icons for modern in MailNews. Needs someone who understands both css and svg/graphics.

    • bug 509209 Implement Customizable Toolbars in SeaMonkey Message Composer. Has patch, waiting for reviews. No suitable small icons for Modern yet.
  • bug 460960 Port Thunderbird tabbed interface to MailNews.
    • In final stages of review.
  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac.
    • stefanh has posted a new patch.
  • bug 456757 Modern theme update.
    • No News.
  • bug 348720 New icon set for “SeaMonkey Default Theme”.
    • No News.
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.
    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.

    • OpenSearch is now targeted for 2.Next.
  • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable.
    • sgautherie is now working on this. Reviews are pending from IanN.


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult


Aqualon


asrail


biesi


Callek


IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.


KaiRo

  • Communicated decision of decoupling schedule from TB, feedback positive.

  • Discussions on beta feedback, planning, and things to still go in.
  • Tying some lose ends in release harness, stabilizing build machines.
  • Working on a tool to monitor changes to be ported from the Mozilla build system to ours.
  • bug 474620 “Properties” in the Download Manager to bring up progress window; almost done.
  • Triaged all open bugs in the Download & File Handling component.
  • Working with release-drivers to get a story for 1.8.1.23 (SeaMonkey 1.1.18).
  • Uploaded new T-shirt design to Mozilla community store.
  • As always, my blog has more detailed status about my work.


mcsmurf

  • Fixed bug 467249 Modify folderWidgets.xml to be able to XBLify the Go menu in MailNews.

  • Fixed bug 507884 Remove/fix references to the old nsIPasswordManager in publishprefs.js (Composer).


Misak


Mnyromyr

Working on bug 460960 Port Thunderbird tabbed interface to MailNews.


MReimer


Neil

Bugs fixed:

  • bug 123679 Deleted bookmarks appear in search result window.

  • bug 495291 File Upload broken.
  • bug 505141 Use of Shift+Ins to open link in new tab in background conflicts with alternate paste key.
  • bug 505212 “View MathML source” shows a blank window.
  • bug 506004 Impossible to rename a mail folder by clicking OK on the pop up rename window.
  • bug 506492 Full screen conflicts with toolbar grippies.
  • bug 509367 Race condition during parallel build.


Ratty

  • Bugs Fixed:

    • bug 16908 “New Msg” button needs a sub-menu to select html or plain text compose.

    • bug 506001 [Port bug 505700] Don’t allow moving the window with the toolbar while in fullscreen mode.
    • bug 411536 create SMILE (SeaMonkey Interface Library for Extensions). Updated existing patch and fixed nits.
  • Working on:
    • bug 507871 “New Msg” button: Highlight default action in the pull down menu.

    • bug 509209 Implement Customizable Toolbars in SeaMonkey Message Compose.
  • Bug triage and bug discussions.
  • AgitProp and PR in http://forums.mozillazine.org/


sgautherie

  • bug 460953 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable.

    • Waiting for review of the 6(++) simple patches.

    • Triaged the 2(++) major ports to do:
      • bug 444913 Port |Bug 413781 – XBLify folder-selection menus| to SeaMonkey

      • bug 507601 Port |Bug 414038 – Replace rdf-driven folder pane with a js-driven/non-rdf treeview| to SeaMonkey
      • bug 507676 Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
    • Filed a bug to monitor the not-yet-resolved Thunderbird bugs:
      • bug 507669 Tracking future bugs for “Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable”
  • Fixed (or in-progress) SeaMonkey bugs:
    • bug 431940 Port |Bug 402207 – SSL error page “Add Exception” support should be pref-controlled| to SeaMonkey

    • bug 445831 /suite/…/contentAreaUtils.js: replace getStringBundle() by a <stringbundle>
    • bug 491624 [SeaMonkey, Linux] mochitest-browser-chrome: intermittent “…/suite/browser/test/browser_bug462289.js | tab key to tab activeElement – Got [object HTMLInputElement], expected [object XULElement]“
    • bug 507421 Port |Bug 418490 – Implement iterator-helper module for dealing with xpcom arrays in javascript| to SM
  • And working on other areas… like
    • infrastructure to run tests

    • filing bugs for leaks in (TUnit) tests
    • doing a Windows comm-central-trunk SeaMonkey unit test build, reporting to bug 470184 issue tracking; looking forward to an official build when enough new buildbot slaves can be enabled (bug 464325 follow-ups).


Standard8


stefanh

Bugs fixed:

  • bug 507210 Some pageInfo.css style rules doesn’t apply.

Working on:

  • bug 457548 Window titles are incorrect on mac.

  • bug 460699 Make the default theme look better on mac.


wladow


Any other business?

  • [sgautherie] About the (2.0 and) 2.1 VMs, could a plan be to add some mac minis for unittests, and replace the/some Mac VMs by Linux/Windows to improve/extend unittests coverage?

  • [sgautherie] Also, some mac help would be wanted on permanently orange bug 506850 mochitest-chrome: test_action_keys_respect_focus.xul and test_clear_button_disabled.xul (intermittently) report “Test timed out”…
  • [KaiRo] Mac help is the one things we won’t get much or which we are missing most of the time. Regarding the machines, I need to get back to talk with IT and Community Giving to find a solution on the Parallels failure.

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2009-08-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2009-08-11

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

Firefox 3.0.14

  • code freeze today

  • 3 blockers left that need 1.9.0 fixes
  • (one of those we’ll take past code freeze for sure)

Firefox 3.5.3

  • code freeze today

  • 1 blocker left that needs a 1.9.1 fix
  • might push one day to pick up some non-blockers
  • mostly a ‘sync up’ release with 3.0.x

Firefox 3.6a1

  • shipped on Friday

  • not a ton of traction yet (more users on old trunk nightlies)


Blocker Report

Gecko 1.9.2 / Namoroka

  • Release Blockers (flag: blocking1.9.2 or blocking-firefox3.6)


Browser / Front End

  • see our active projects and get involved / propose others

    • multitouch JS API prototype work

    • streaming video controls
    • new UI mechanism for application notifications (“doorhangers”)
  • triage to be finished this week
  • feature priorities are:
    • asynchronous location bar (landed)

    • awesomeform complete (landed)
    • potential uplift of personas (under evaluation)
    • responsiveness increases


GFX Update

  • bug 507970 – New font file formats for the web: EOT Lite and ZOT – Support in development.

  • Jeff & Joe were in New Orleans for SIGGRAPH 2009. Blog posts about interesting stuff upcoming.
  • Decode-on-draw work ongoing in bug 435296.


Layout Update

  • WebOTF (jdaggett, jfkthame)

  • roc away next week


Content Update

  • infallible malloc ready to land bug 441324

  • HTML5 work moving along (hsivonen has the details).
  • multi process network implementation starting to materialize.
  • XBL2 implementation moving along (jonas has details).
  • peterv found some problems with XPConnect perf bug 499199 and has been working on ways around that.
  • peterv got ibench up n’ running and will be looking into why don’t perform better than we do.
  • mrbkap working with labs to iron out a security model for JetPacks.
  • HTML5 History API progress
  • File drag’n’drop implemented. File API progress


Platform-specific Support Update

  • Final Windows 7 SDK came out on Friday, testing in progress (bug 505504)

  • Windows 7 integration work continues (see jumplists, taskbar previews in bug 474052)


JS

  • ES5 Status (tracking bug bug 445494):

    • Meta-object API:

    • Strict mode:
    • Regexp:
      • bug 98409 (waldo): literal regexps and lastIndex.

      • bug 465199 (sayrer): Regexp lastIndex property type.
      • bug 501739 (unassigned): string match, replace vs. global lastIndex.
    • Misc:
      • bug 430930 (bruce): Date.parse and ISO 8601.

      • bug 496923 (unassigned): Integrate ECMAScript 5 conformance test suite
      • bug 509733 (unassigned): ES5 chimera arguments object
  • DWARF Call Frame Info
    • needed for breakpad stacks with -fomit-frame-pointer optimization

    • Linux dumper re-architect is landed in Google’s SVN repository
    • DWARF-on-Linux patch queue is complete, seems to work, needs more testing
    • Next step is to add CFI support
    • DWARF reader and processor shared with Mac, so we should get CFI on Mac for free or cheap


Security


Electrolysis

  • plugin work (NPObject) ongoing…

  • need help with windowless plugins
  • need lots of help with Mac
  • tab work is going slowly… bz will be able to return to that during/after the workweek


Tree Management

  • Branching for mozilla-1.9.2 bug 504143

    • Planning to bring up all normal Firefox builds (linux, linux 64-bit, mac, win32) + l10n, maemo/winmo + l10n. WinCE to come with or shortly after bug 485109. Anything else?

    • Please do not check in to the new mozilla-1.9.2 repositories; we’re still cloning mozilla-central and l10n repositories today or tomorrow.
    • When are we doing this? Before or after Mobile “go to build”?
      • impact of possible Fennec respins

      • No downtime is needed.
    • Will show up on http://tinderbox.mozilla.org/showbuilds.cgi?tree=Firefox3.6
  • Fun and games with colo outage Sunday; fast recovery
  • Now that tp4 rolled out in production, planning to:
  • Last batch of new slaves added late last week; will monitor waittimes to see about adding more


Roundtable

  • WebGL update

  • breakpad-on-ARM owner?
  • Update on Code Coverage (timr)
    • Latest results: c/c++ and JS

    • We had a good discussions with the Content and JS teams last week. Some issues we are looking into are: Specific files with surprisingly low coverage. How coverage for in-lined code is handled. Annotating the coverage results pages with info like: a file was recently re-designed and therefore previous bug data may no longer be valid. Setting up coverage on additional platforms.
    • Also see the new FAQ and new Code Cov one stop shopping wiki
    • Other next steps: Identify with the Dev teams which files should be targeted for additional testing. Work with other teams like the Firefox team to understand how this info could be used. Feel free to contact Murali or myself if you want to dig into the data with us.
  • Content intern project progress
  • unittests on debug builds coming (bug 372581)
    • dbaron is planning to treat stuff that breaks unittests on debug builds as “orange”, and thus deserve to have NS_ABORT_IF_FALSE summarily changed to NS_ASSERTION if it fires during our tests (and likewise NS_ASSERTIONs that fire during xpcshell tests changing to NS_WARNING)

    • we’re having issues with extremely slow tests (mochitest-browser-chrome), and huge log files (~ 3.8 GB, mostly assertions)

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress