Meeting Notes

30-June-2010

Mobile Electrolysis Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/e10s/Notes/30-Jun-2010

From MozillaWiki


Details


Major Topics for This Week

  • Quick updates

  • Landing plan (OMG we are close!)


Quick Status Updates


e10s merge oranges

  • bug 569500 TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | ipcshell\tests\test_ipcshell.js | ASSERTION: Using observer service off the main thread!

    • jimm investigating.

  • bug 575918 buildbot.slave.commands.TimeoutError: command timed out: 1200 seconds without output, killing pid 575

    • cjones investigating.
  • bug 575914 test_cpow.js | test failed (with xpcshell return code: 3), see following log: | 3 == 6 – See following stack

    • blassey investigating.
  • bug 575921 – browser_bug511456.js | application crashed | SIGABRT | libxul.so!nsAppShell::ProcessNextNativeEvent [nsAppShell.cpp:8f64c2eeb40e : 144 + 0xa]

    • dougt investigating.


Necko

  • Broken image cache will be fixed as soon as we know the m-c->e10s merge is stable. (see bug 537164)
  • Securityinfo apparently almost ready.
  • still lots of other bug fixes in the review pipeline: http auth, app cache, suspend/resume.
  • Redirects: wip patch, I need to review.
  • Crowder, bz, and I making good progress on download manager design.


Preference

  • Bug 564535 — Permission manager. MikeK investigation. Has questions about direction.


Plugins

  • Plugin layers works fine with WindowlessX and Image NPAPI 556487 (2 weeks of testing)

  • Chrome->Content->Plugin – triple processes works with patch from bug 560630, but patch breaks windows builds


Gfx

No fennec-specific updates. GL layers backend continues to improve.

  • bug 575778 – MozAfterPaint does not work.


Front-end

  • Initial work list is here

  • Please file bugs on any front-end issue


Autocomplete et. al (dolske)

  • Form history — bug 552828

    • review in the next day or two
  • Password manager — bug 552827
    • patch by eow.


Places

  • stover working on the last few test failures.


Automation/Testing

  • Getting close on mochitest

    • Final issue on try: segfault while using messageManager.loadFrameScript bug 572149

    • Over the weekend began to be able to write to nsIFile objects from content – bug 572152


Addon Installation (InstallTrigger)

  • Works with patch in review, bug 550936

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/30-Jun-2010

From MozillaWiki


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel


Schedule

  • 1.1 rc 1 is out!

  • 2.0 Alpha Discussion
    • Code freeze really didn’t stick


Major Topics for This Week


Front-end

  • Primary effort right now is fixing e10s related breakage in mobile-browser

    • e10s Worklist is mostly well finished

    • electrolysis + mobile-browser is very functional, more work going on to stablize, support rendering and support tests
    • We are still finding and getting fixes for numerous crashes on mozilla-central and electrolysis
    • Planning 2.0 has been updated again – work will continue on planning tasks
  • Work continued on an “Understanding e10s for Add-on Developers” document
  • Blog posts about Mobile + Electrolysis started and more are forthcoming
  • Firefox Sync landed in mobile-browser as a built-in tool


UX design


Maemo


Qt


Android

  • blockers [[1]]

    • please nominate bugs as you file them and set the OS to Android
  • top priorities
    • keyboard interactions (mwu/jchen) – good progress

    • startup/shutdown/resume (blassey) – fixed
    • e10s (mwu)
    • layers/gles (vlad)
    • protocol handlers (brad) – waiting for bsmedberg’s review
    • multitouch
      • animated zoom (mfinkle) – landed

      • android widget (mwu) – waiting for dougt’s review


Electrolysis

  • Test failures are the only known issue preventing landing (on, and some pesky firefox beta1 stuff)


General Platform


Device API

  • Desktop notification API making progress.

  • Permissions API proposed to webapp mailing list.


Video


Camera

Working through reviews. Patch in progress on refactoring our <input type=”file” /> implementation to deal with files that aren’t on a disk.


Plugins


Performance


Networking


Graphics


Startup


Layout


Content


Release Engineering

  • https://intranet.mozilla.org/Build:Mobile:Priorities

  • maemo5-gtk, maemo-qt release automation. android release build only (no l10n, no updates, no release signing cert atm)
  • android, all project branches moved to buildbot-0.8.0
    • non-android m-c, m-1.9.2, maemo4 try still on buildbot-0.7.10

      • m-c/m-1.9.2 blocked on splitting multi-locale, l10n testing
  • aki working on release signing cert, splitting multi-locale build, browser-chrome
  • bear working on sys/queue.h for android ndk, android sut integration
  • jhford on buildduty, working on porting maemo/android to buildbot-0.8.0 try (try as a branch)


QA


Manual

  • bugs filed on the Fennec product over the past week

  • Waverley Results over the past week
  • Looking into breaking out the 2x increase in features since the last time the Mobile Projects page was updated
  • Been testing e10s builds. Martijn has a list of issues on his scratchpad and bugs have been filed.
  • goals for upcoming week (in order of priorities):
    • Add assignments to the new features added

    • Continue testing e10s builds and trunk


Automation

Android Test Framework status:

  • bug 573281 – updates for device manager

  • bug 573282 – Agent crashes when installing fennec (Bmoss can’t seem to reproduce, checking to see if I had a bad build of fennec)

e10s:

browser-chrome tests:


Other

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2010-06-30

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.


Agenda

  • actions from last week:

    • christian co-ordinating with QA, RelEng and SUMO on date for advertised major update

    • might have to wait until after the Summit
  • schedule and progress on upcoming releases
  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Action Items

  • christian to follow up next meeting with major update decision


Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox 3.5.10 / Firefox 3.6.6

  • Released on Saturday

Firefox 3.5.11 / Firefox 3.6.7

  • When is a good time to add new locales in beta to shipped-locales? (Axel)

  • Pushing to get 2 more bugs
  • QA verification started but got derailed due to Firefox 3.6.6 chemspill and Firefox 4 beta1

Firefox 4.0 Beta 1

  • build1 available on Monday night

  • had some problems around Feedback Add-On (ie: wasn’t in Windows!)
  • just ordered build2, should be available later today
  • need to decide if we should ship during the Summit, or wait until after

Firefox 4.0 Beta 2

  • Engineering moving on to beta 2 blockers

  • big features include XPCOM changes which break all 3rd party apps and binary add-ons, retained layers, theme changes on Mac, App Tabs

Fennec 1.1

  • No major issues found on 1.1 after RC came out

  • Trying to go to 2.0 Alpha; Planned code freeze last week didn’t stick

Jetpack SDK 0.5

  • Shipped last thurs, 6/24

  • FlightDeck 1.0a2 preview released to a handful of devs, good feedback
  • working on 0.6 planning for end of july

Firefox Sync 1.4

  • shipping today

  • 26 locales, works against Fx4b1
  • sync 1.4 will land in AMO shortly


Highlights / Notices

Notes or issues you’d like people to know about, that don’t correspond to a particular release.


Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today’s meeting.

  • I suppose it’s preferred to upgrade 3.5.10 to 3.6.6, not 3.6.4. There is AFAIK no need to this mid-step.

  • Support update (We don’t have metrics and we’re sad-made):
    • 3.6.4 top issues were:

      • Hangs caused by too-short timeout on hang detector (fixed in 3.6.6)

      • Hangs at startup/can’t load any windows
    • 3.6.6 top issues so far:
      • Firewall/AV complaints (should have mostly cleared up, zzxc?)

      • Proxy complaints


Press & Public Reactions

29-June-2010

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2010-06-29

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

CLOSED

K.I.V.

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. Contact at Google says they don’t want additional specific consumers of the service right now and want to enable some general way of accessing it “some time” – We can only wait right now. No easy solution in sight. Also, discussing a possible open Geolocation service.


SeaMonkey 2.0.5

open blockers (0)
blocker requests (0)
fixed (65)

  • Finally shipped last Tuesday!


SeaMonkey 2.0.6

open blockers (2)
blocker requests (1)
fixed (44)

  • Based on Gecko 1.9.1.11, target dates TBD, estimated mid/late July, see Releases.

  • Release schedule will be synchronized with the next Firefox 3.5 release (3.5.11).


SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 2

open blockers (1)
targeted (2)
fixed (46)

  • bug 573382 (DOMi) has been checked in on the relbranch, so doesn’t block this Alpha any more.

  • The only marked blocker is the release tracking bug and of course shipping it.
  • Candidate builds have been cut and are up for download an testing.
  • Not much feedback so far, but bug 574438 (Need to pass a PRBool to ConfirmEx’s checkValue parameter) could be serious enough to warrant a respin. Thoughts? If so, any ride-along patches? Target for release?
  • [InvisibleSmiley] Yes, without bug 574438 deleting folders in MailNews is broken. This should be avoided if possible.
  • Without bug 572065 IMAP attachments cannot be opened or saved.
  • A respin would probably mean that we can only ship this alpha some time next week.
  • Changesets to be pushed to the relbranch and then Build2 to be started ASAP:
    • 8b1b4701dbab: fix bug 572065 (as was last checkin) can’t save or detach imap attachments.

    • 30d7f2e796c0: fix opening attachments after frozen linkage patch.
    • f27e030e9a14: bug 574438 Can’t pass null to inout parameters of prompt functions.
    • b080cd31cb50: fix bug 562104, crash when subscribed to imap folder ‘/’.


SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 3

open blockers (3)
blocker requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (4)

(Further 2.1 scheduling:)

  • Please help updating the New 2.1 Features page as we go.

  • Plans for 2.1: 6-8 weeks per milestone, a3 in late July or early August, b1 in August/September, and a final in October/November.
  • This seems to match recently presented Firefox 4 plans relatively well – they’ll go for beta really soon now and Final in the same timeframe as we have in those plans right now.
  • It would be good to get OOPP (Out Of Process Plugins) for SM2.1 but we need some way to build libxul to be able to build OOPP. Various Mailnews work has to be done (and is being done) for that to be possible.
  • The freeze for Firefox 4.0 Beta 1 has been carried out, and the Mozilla/Gecko version has been bumped to 2.0b2pre.


Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 56 new, 28 fixed, 9 triaged.

  • High rate of new bugs, low rate on triage – can we do better?

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Major wanted/needed features:


2.0.x

  • bug 423281 Help updates.

    • status/progress?
  • bug 483282 Make sure normal SeaMonkey use doesn’t pay a price for having Venkman installed [Mnyromyr].
    • Needs at least a core patch landing for 1.9.1.10 bug 364864 (nsICategoryManager::deleteCategoryEntry does not persist outside of component registration) which depends on bug 480851 getting fixed on trunk.

    • Mnyromyr hopes to get to look into Venkman now that he’s released Mnenhy 0.8.
    • status/progress? Any hopes that this will still make 2.0?
  • bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service [mcsmurf].
    • Landed on trunk, Callek and mcsmurf working to get it onto branch.

    • status/progress?
  • bug 530079 landed on mozilla-1.9.1, allows password migration to complete even if invalid entries are found.


2.1

  • bug 460953 kill-rdf port [sgautherie].

    • Postponed until mcsmurf (or sgautherie) can resume work on it.

    • status/progress?
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.

    • status/progress?
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.
    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.

    • status/progress?
    • The current consensus it to get some basic functionality going with OpenSearch first. And then later to see how much of the old functionality we can reimplement in follow-ups.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
    • Jeffrey Lee, a Seneca student, is looking into that!

    • status/progress?
  • bug 498596 Places bookmarks. [KaiRo]
    • More review comments addressed locally, a few Firefox patches ported as well, the original followup for icons has been landed already. Will post new patches and try builds this week probably. Please keep testing the current try builds.
  • bug 480734 Satchel data editor (“Form Manager”).
    • will be implemented in terms of Data Manager, see below.
  • bug 569341 Data Manager [KaiRo]
    • Add-on now public: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/162068 – please send your feedback to KaiRo!

    • Local work continuing on reactions to observers. Code for updating for cookie and password change notifications has been completed but needs testing.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 1.9.3) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze will look into that once KompoZer 0.8 is done.

    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We’re still trying to work out some organizational issues.
    • At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (dmose).
    • status/progress?
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
    • A list of TODO icons is up in the bug.

    • Still needs quite a bit of work.
    • status/progress?
    • bug 522023 is working on improving the browser globe in task icons, etc..
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 521927 Make Search, Folder Location and Views widgets for MailNews customizable toolbars. [IanN]
    • Fixed!
  • bug 97023 Search/Find in page UI: toolbar instead of dialog [bfrisch].
    • Has review, but we’re waiting for a new patch that addresses the last round of comments.
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
    • status/progress?
  • bug 467867 [META] Implement Firefox TabBrowser API in Seamonkey [misak].
    • bug 558614 loadTabs(), loadOneTab() and change addTab()

      • Fixed. One minor regression which has a fix and a test waiting for reviews.
    • KaiRo fixed bug 554908 (setIcon, updateIcon) and bug 573733 (renaming mTabs to tabs).
  • bug 561600 Addon Manager Integration
    • status/progress?
  • Archiving feature is progressing: fixed bug 573392 (Need option ‘keep folders scheme’ under the archive feature), now bug 573336 can bring the UI to both TB and SM.

We also should take a look at the other items on 2.1-wanted
Also the nominations need triaging.

  • We need to find a solution for Lightning, which is targeting Thunderbird 3.1 now.

    • Lightning 1.0 beta 1 is for SM2.0 and TB3.0, 1.0 beta 2 is for TB3.1 (Gecko 1.9.2). Further versions will probably be for 2.0-based releases.


Roundtable

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult


Aqualon


asrail


biesi


Callek

Fixed:

  • bug 512490 Remove REQUIRES from comm-central.

  • bug 556394 Allow a single option to control tag/revision to pull in client.py.
  • bug 565191 Add build option “–with-debug-label”
  • bug 570812 remove xpinstall from mobile specific browser-chrome tests package files.
  • bug 572049 Make notification bar open the Addon Manager in browser rather than its own window.

Working on:

  • bug 557210 Update MozillaBuild’s Mercurial to version 1.5.x.

  • bug 566593 Add-ons Manager window shows multiple times.
  • bug 570243 Advanced/Software Installation/Updates/Add-on Manager button doesn’t work anymore.
  • bug 571527 Add pref for auto vs. ask-me addon update.
  • bug 573382 No chrome package registered for chrome://inspector/content/tasksOverlay.xul.
  • bug 573921 Update browser_pluginnotification.js to work with Addon Manager in tab.


IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Bugs fixed.
    • bug 566424 [SM] Customize toolbar sheet moves when selecting the show dropdown menu.

    • bug 566425 [TB] Customize toolbar sheet moves when selecting the show dropdown menu.
    • bug 529647 Make Search and Go buttons widgets for Browser customizable toolbars.


InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 570578 Port |bug 559040 – Make the internal archiving code work for any set of messages thus being nicer to extensions| to SeaMonkey.

    • bug 573278 Port |bug 522252 – make archiving of read-only folders do a copy, not a move| to SeaMonkey.
    • bug 573392 Port |bug 522761 Need option ‘keep folders scheme’ under the archive feature to don’t forget the messages organization| to SeaMonkey. Also fixes bug 494266 – [IMAP] Archive subfolders not shown in folder pane directly after their creation.
  • Provided anchors/references-fixing shell script for:
    • bug 246405 mail_help.xhtml should be split to several files.
  • Requested and got branch approval for:
    • bug 530079 Malformed URI sequence when migrating passwords from TB 2 to TB 3.
  • Waiting for review:
    • bug 465116 “Move to Trash” now marks as read.


KaiRo

  • Released SeaMonkey 2.0.5, finally!

  • Started the release process for 2.1 Alpha 2, candidate builds are up, release notes need to be done, and we need to figure out if we ship with or respin for regressions.
  • Updated 2.1 features wiki page: https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey:Features:2.1
  • Fixed 64bit Linux trunk builds by switching to recently installed gcc 4.5 (bug 571652).
  • Fixed Windows test failures by installing VNC (bug 571855).
  • Installed ccache on all Linux slaves ({{bug|572410), started to use it on 64bit with the gcc switch.
  • Upgraded buildbot to 0.8 on Linux slaves (part of bug 567035).
  • Filed a bug for Mac64 and Win64 slaves (bug 572098) as well as a tracker for the needed machines in the one year strategy (bug 572395).
  • Found a small packaging/cleanup issue during 2.1a2 work and fixed that (bug 574467).
  • Got Data Manager to be publicly listed, also worked on getting data out of observer notifications and update UI for cookie and password changes, and discussed UX with Firefox people.
  • Addressed more review comments on places bookmarks (bug 498596), in the process found a problem with notification bars on startup (bug 573384). Also proted more Firefox changes to my patch set.
  • Worked on and landed patch for icons in places (bug 554908) and made it independent of the bookmarks work, which also improves tabbrowser API compatibility.
  • Worked on doorhanger notifications for SeaMonkey (bug 570004).
  • Found another tabbrowser API compat problem, and fixed it by renaming mTabs to tabs (bug 573733).
  • Did some work on EarlyBlue and LCARStrek themes and found that SeaMonkey doesn’t have outdated plugin notifications (bug 573391).
  • Synchronized German localization with SeaMonkey trunk, so a 2.1a2 langpack could be created and uploaded to AMO.
  • Blogged about my opinion on putting tabs on top: http://home.kairo.at/blog/2010-06/my_thoughts_about_tabs_on_top
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my work, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps.


mcsmurf


Misak

Fixed (or in-progress) bugs:

  • bug 558996 Port bug 522545 [some tabs not loaded, are stuck in zombie mode] to SeaMonkey [Fixed].

  • bug 564677 Port bug 539594 [Middle-clicking back/forward/reload should open the new tab next to the current one].
  • bug 570783 progress listeners’ OnRefreshAttempted being called twice instead of once for progress listeners and once for tab progress listeners [Fixed].


Mnyromyr

  • Fixed bug 572890 fix “octal literals and octal escape sequences are deprecated” in c-c.


MReimer


Neil

Bugs fixed:

  • bug 475511 Rename “Unsent Messages” to “Outbox” in the backend.

  • bug 570002 moz-icon://file:/// no longer works.
  • bug 573384 rights infobar not displayed any more.
  • bug 574438 Need to pass a PRBool to ConfirmEx’s checkValue parameter.
  • bug 575109 Don’t unnecessarily inherit from nsISupports (vtable bloat).

Working on:

  • bug 351235 preference browser.link.restriction=1 is essentially useless.

  • bug 408599 FeedProtocolHandler creates horrifying nsIStandardURLs (browser part of fix).
  • bug 499785 SeaMonkey can’t handle spaces in OpenURL, Firefox can.
  • bug 533290 extApplication.js, _prefs object unexpectedly garbaged collected.
  • bug 572529 Make it even easier to build with pymake.
  • bug 572996 Compiler dependencies don’t work for DEBUG code.
  • bug 573865 Can’t build webm fallback code on Windows x86_64 (xul.dll doesn’t link).


Ratty

Bugs fixed:

  • bug 570970 Move the Link Behaviour preferences from the tabs pane to a separate pane.

Working on:

  • bug 571517 [SeaMonkey] Don’t pass strings to setTimeout.

  • bug 572682 Move popups, panels, and tooltips into popupsets (e.g. mainPopupset).

ToDo:

  • bug 517469 Port bug 363130: make menuitem icons 16x16px consistently on Windows/Linux.

  • bug 518736 Lightning options button in Add-on window error – looking for preferences.xul.
  • Customizable toolbars in Addressbook.
  • Customizable toolbars in Composer.

Other:


sgautherie


Standard8


stefanh


wladow


Any other business?

  • Who is going to this years Firefox Summit at Whistler?

    • Neil and Mnyromyr.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2010-06-29

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Current Release Schedules
Thunderbird 3.1 final Thunderbird 3.0.6
Shipped!

  • Relbranch opens: June 18

  • Code freeze: TBD
  • L10n freeze: TBD
  • Builds start: TBD
  • QA with builds start: TBD
  • Beta period starts: TBD
  • Final release: TBD

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!


Agenda


Action Items


Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friends of the Tree When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozillamessaging.com so that he can send them a shirt!


Conversion Funnel (Priority 0 side project)

  • ISPDB success rate at 30-40%. Top missing domains: secureserver.net, outlook.com, kundenserver.de, rzone.de, uga.edu, psmtp.com, schlund.de, onet.pl, rr.com, ocn.ad.jp


Thunderbird 3.1 (Lanikai)


Thunderbird 3.1 Final

Shipped!


Thunderbird 3.1.1

  • Will probably follow something similar to the Firefox 3.6.6 schedule, assuming we don’t need to release earlier.

  • All required gecko bug have landed in 1.9.2.6 (the ones that we landed on our relbranch for 3.1).
  • Blocking bugs etc: Bug Lists


Thunderbird 3.0.x Developer Update

See Tinderbox for how to get your patches into 3.0.x

  • Thunderbird 3.0.5 Released

  • 3.0.6 probably in sync with Firefox 3.5.11
    • 3.0.6 more likely to be mainly core fixes with a few fixes to mailnews.


Security And Stability releases – where to help


Thunderbird 3.2

  • Help Wanted: Working on getting the trunk stable and significant issues fixed. See thread on tb-planning.

  • Aiming at getting trunk fixed up asap.
  • Schedule of first alpha TBD, probably mid-July.
  • dev-process changes posted to tb-planning, not much feedback
  • Looking out for bsmedberg’s XPCOM reg changes


QA Updates

  • Preparing Summit 2010

  • We have a mailing-list targeted for people willing to help test releases.


Marketing Updates

Next:

  • Summit prep

  • Mozilla Messaging Add-ons announcement


IT update

  • Thunderbird 3.1 COMPLETE

  • New Linux builders : bug 516328


Documentation


Support

  1. 3.1 Support Issues – still gathering info, nothing really major so far, seems to be better than 3.0.x – please add your support issues to the Discussion page of this wiki page still a work in progress

  2. Support Community Reboot – 2 min. intro video script – Draft3 available, next step is final signoff and then encoding and posting of English version followed by subtitling for non English Folks
  3. SuMoMo – next: get SuMoMo localization dashboard, bug 549407 working – will ping Andrei about this hope to get progress before Summit, – no metrics because we turned off Google Analytics but haven’t turned on replacement; revamping SuMoMo home page to have top 10 problems (and move list of Articles to another page as per SuMo) as well as final edit of SuMoMo articles before 3.1 on Thursday; will have informal session at Summit with localizers
  4. Get Satisfaction (no metric graphic since GS graphic generation down since the 23rd – 397 topics only (which suggests 3.1 impact not felt yet) GS contributors please check out our new boilerplate response page as well as GS JetPack Helper 0.3 needs hackers and contributors to use it for frequent support replies, email roland!
    • still working on alice.it ispdb and Italian support issues for 3.1 this week

    • back to basics for support and user pain – based on discussions with support contributors and staff at All Hands going to sketch out higher level use cases instead of assuming that the solution is to just put a layer on top of GS for new topic input wizard, great discussion with David Eaves about this last week – will document this on a wiki page and review on tb-planning
    • thanks to top volunteer contributors: #1 matt of Australia, #2 rsx11m (USA) #3 bozz of usa, #4 chris_ramsden aka xenos of UK, #5 archaeopteryx of germany


Lightning Updates

  • 1.0b2 released!

  • Next steps:
    • more build work to make build faster (30 mins -> 7 mins in one case)

    • planning for next release
    • dependent on 3.2 branching plan


Status updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.


Roundtable Highlights


Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2010-06-29

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

DOWNTIME IN PROGRESS NOW before possible respin

  • Firefox 3.6.4

    • Went out last Tuesday, yay!

    • Too early for specific metrics yet (and we have been messing with throttling). OOPP looks good so far though (no worse than 3.6.3 at the very least)
  • Firefox 3.6.6 (where’s 3.6.5?)

    • Quick chemspill release to increase the OOPP hang detector timeout (ONLY bug 574905)

    • Created late Friday night, went out Saturday
      • Thanks to everyone that gave up 1/2 their weekend
  • Firefox 3.6.7 and 3.5.11

    • Any 1.9.2.6 approvals are now implicitly for 1.9.2.7

    • Codefreeze was Friday
    • Schedule is really tight with holidays, summit, and BlackHat


Blocker Report

Firefox 3.6.7 and 3.5.11

  • Codefreeze was Friday

  • Still have too many open blockers
    • 11 for 3.6.7, down from 12 yesterday

    • 6 for 3.5.11, down from 8 yesterday
  • Most are security fixes we need to fix them on branches before BlackHat (end of July)
  • Only taking blockers at this time, and we need to get them all in TODAY.

Firefox 4 Beta

  • Beta 1 candidate builds available on FTP

    • there are a couple of new beta 1 blockers which require a respin, so build2 on its way
  • time to start working on beta2 blockers, everyone!
  • QA wants us to work with everyone to manage large invasive landings so that we get testing before they hit mozilla-central


Browser / Front End

Team’s been chasing down bugs for the beta, and now cranking on beta 2.

Fix those branch blockers!


GFX Update

  • D2D antialiased clipping is about to land

  • Some basic D3D9 layer retention is ready to go


Layout Update

  • Retained layers (bug 564991)

    • Passes tests

    • Still being reviewed … ETA “this week”
    • Karl still mopping up X/Flash issues
  • Units changes (bug 537890)

    • New patches up

    • Adds “mozmm” physical unit
    • Waiting for review
  • Importing Chromium combined video scaling+YUV-conversion code

    • faster, works well, fits nicely into our layers framework
  • Enabled JS inside of IFRAMEs in editors to allow anti-clickjacking scripts to work (bug 519928)

    • Temporary fix; ultimately we want to enable script in all editable content and let authors use sandboxed iframes to selectively disable script

    • So, need sandboxed iframes


Content Update

  • WebSockets and IndexedDB are in the tree and everyone is doing well

  • Speculative parser regression test harness now functional, in releng’s hands now (bnewman)
  • Multi process Jetpack API in mozilla-central (bnewman)
  • DOM code deAgnostification has started bug 575431 (mrbkap)


Platform-specific Support Update


JS

  • ES5

    • Object.getOwnPropertyNames (get array of all properties directly on an object) patch up, being reviewed

    • Object.preventExtensions/isExtensible also in good shape, some tiptoeing with another major patch also in flight
    • JSAPI requirements changes
      • new enumeration hook will take a new op, JSENUMERATE_INIT_ALL, to iterate over all properties (not just enumerable ones)

      • old enumeration style must now also resolve into place non-enumerable properties in addition to enumerable ones
      • object ops will grow a function for some of this stuff, still in progress


Electrolysis

  • e10s branch will merge today

    • multiprocess tabs on fennec
  • static-xpcom-registration will land tomorrow, probably.
    • killing EM-restart soon after in a separate landing


Startup Performance


Security


Breakpad


Tree Management

  • Mobile build coverage on project branches?

    • android, maemo4, maemo5gtk, maemo5qt, desktop-pseudo-mobile

    • already have on tracemonkey and electrolysis
    • anyone else – and please be careful of infrastructure load
  • Windows 7 unit tests
    • current filed oranges – bug 562489

    • only 4 test suites are perma-oranges (TODO file bugs for each)
    • reftests-d2d are running but Jeff says that it should not be GREEN! (we will loan him a machine to help him figure what’s going on)
  • Downtime in progress bug 575307
  • Powering off TB2 machines, which are the last cvs machines!


Roundtable

28-June-2010

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2010-06-28

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2010-06-28.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>


Friends of the Tree


Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 28 June

Tuesday, 29 June

Wednesday, 30 June

  • Brownbag @ 1pm : MDN Roadmap

    • Learn more about the Mozilla Developer Network

      • Website update and development plan

      • Upcoming programs
      • Info on Summit session

Thursday, 1 July

Friday, 2 July

Next Week


Product Status Updates


Firefox 4

Beta coming soon – working out some theme bugs on Windows.

Run a nightly!


Firefox 3.6

  • Firefox 3.6.4

    • Went out last Tuesday, yay!

    • Too early for metrics yet (and we have been messing with throttling). OOPP looks good so far though
  • Firefox 3.6.6 (where’s 3.6.5?)

    • Quick chemspill release to increase the OOPP hang detector timeout (ONLY bug 574905)

    • Created late Friday night, went out Saturday
      • Thanks to everyone that gave up 1/2 their weekend
  • Firefox 3.6.7

    • Any 1.9.2.6 approvals are now implicitly for 1.9.2.7

    • Codefreeze was Friday
    • Still have too many open blockers (12 for 3.6.7 and 8 for 3.5.11)
      • Most are security fixes with trunk patches, we need to fix them on branches as we are exposing users, especially before BlackHat (end of July)
    • Only taking blockers at this time, and we need to get them all in TODAY


Mobile Firefox


Thunderbird


Older Branch Work

  • Firefox 3.5.11

    • Release is tied to 3.6.7, Codefreeze was Friday

    • Still have too many open blockers (8 security bugs for 3.5.11)
      • Most are security fixes with trunk patches, we need to fix them on branches as we are exposing users, especially before BlackHat (end of July)
    • Only taking blockers at this time, and we need to get them all in TODAY
  • Firefox 3.0.x

    • RelEng has shut down the 3.0 build machines, so we can no longer do an update for 3.0 users easily

    • We will be doing an advertised update (the pop-up window) to 3.6.6 for users shortly (we have done previous versions already to get people to move off 3.0)


Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
Mozilla Summit Social Scheduler Thingy

Atul Varma

A nifty social app for learning about Summit attendees and seeing what schedules they’ll attend.

The App

The App
Bugzilla Awesome Interface Thingy

Aza Raskin

An app to make Bugzilla beautiful and easy to use.

The App

Bugzilla Helper and Better Bug View
Powering off TB2 machines

John O’Duinn

bug#574901


Status Updates By Team


Firefox

See above!


Platform


Messaging


Mobile


IT


Release Engineering

  • Releases:

    • Firefox 3.5.10/3.6.4

    • Firefox 3.6.6 chemspill (awesome quick turnaround)
    • Fennec 1.1rc1
  • turning off Thunderbird 2.0 machines – YAY!
  • Windows 7 unit tests enabled last weeks
    • It will take several weeks to make all test suites green


QA

QA Highlights
  • General

    • Completed QA org goals for Q3
  • Desktop Firefox
    • Fx Input is live at input.mozilla.com!

      • Testpilot studies landed within the feedback extention for beta program
    • 3.6.4: Shipped on Tuesday
    • 3.6.6 chem-spill farmville issue shipped over the weekend.
  • Browser Technologies
    • Testing Firefox home RC1, scheduled to ship this next week

    • Jetpack SDK 0.5 shipped
  • Web QA
  • QA Services
    • Community

      • Start planing for QMO 2.1 and 3.0

      • A11Y
        • My article on how to test websites with NVDA has been published in the 6th issue of the German Webstandards-Magazin, and the printed issue arrived on Wednesday. This will give NVDA some greater exposure to web devs in Germany. Mozilla is a recognized funder of the NVDA project.

        • Wrote a blog post regarding Apple iOS 4 and their support for WAI-ARIA landmarks. Mozilla was one of the driving forces behind innovating and implementing these in the WAI-ARIA spec, and Apple are the first to release an accessible mobile phone with support for these landmarks.


Automation & Tools

  • Landed Mochitest E10S support bug 567417

  • Landed changes for Talos to measure add-on performance – bug 559929
    • Continuing to run specialized one-off runs for AMO team (working toward making this into a self-serve utility)
  • Have native events working with mouse events on linux.
  • And as always more information here


Security


Engagement

PR

Events

  • Black Hat USA 2010 July 24-29, 2010; Las Vegas, NV – We will be hosting our “traditional” Mozilla milk & cookies party on 7/28.  Check out the information here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Black_Hat_2010

  • FISL 2010 July 21-24, 2010; Porto Alegre, Brasil – We are looking into having a Mozilla room, talks and other activities.  Follow progress on the wiki page
  • GUADEC 2010 – July 24-30, 2010; Netherlands.  We are sponsoring at the bronze level.  No Mozilla talks scheduled.
  • Open Video Conference 2010 – October 1-2, 2010; New York, NY  – Looking over sponsorship opportunities.
  • BlogHer ’10 – August 6-7, 2010 – Looking into sponsorship opportunities – we will be having a hotel suite and a presence in the GeekLab.  More details soon!
  • Maker Faire Africa – August 27-28, 2010; Nairobi, Kenya – Looking into sponsorship opportunties.
  • Renegade Craft Fair Chicago 2010 – September 11-12, 2010 – We will have a booth and be doing some innovative activities.  Check out the wiki for more details Looking into sponsorship opportunities.
  • London Add-ons Challenge (name TBC): Exploring two consumer-focused events in SF & London.

Creative Team

Community Marketing


Support


Metrics


Evangelism


Labs


Developer Tools

  • The Bespin 0.8 blog post went up on Tuesday of last week and has the details of this major Bespin release.


Add-ons


Webdev


L10n


Introducing New Hires


Foundation Updates


Roundtable

23-June-2010

Mobile Electrolysis Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/e10s/Notes/23-Jun-2010

From MozillaWiki


Details


Major Topics for This Week

  • Quick updates

  • Landing plan


Quick Status Updates


Necko

  • Merged m-c to e10s branch. Includes websockets, which we’ll need to make sure it’s turned off in fennec.
  • Merge to M-C hopefully happening soon–bz still reviewing patch.
  • Broken image cache will be fixed as soon as we know the m-c->e10s merge is stable. (see bug 537164)
  • Securityinfo apparently almost ready.
  • still lots of other bug fixes in the review pipeline: http auth, app cache, suspend/resume.
  • Redirects: wip patch, I need to review.
  • Crowder, bz, and I making good progress on download manager design.


Preference

  • Bug 564535 — Permission manager. [dougt: probably do not need this!]


Plugins

  • Plugin layers works fine with WindowlessX and Image NPAPI 556487 (2 weeks of testing)

  • Chrome->Content->Plugin – triple processes works with patch from bug 560630, but patch breaks windows builds


Gfx

“Burned the candle at both ends” this week — nothing specific to fenneclayertrolysis to report, but work proceeded on HW accel that’s shared between desktop and fennec.

Fennec can be run with retained layers code, but only useful test at this point would be checking for retained-layers regressions in fennec’s use case.


Front-end

  • Initial work list is here

  • Please file bugs on any front-end issue


Autocomplete et. al (dolske)


Places

  • visit uri (556400)

    • Has been run on try server, almost through reviews and ready for landing
  • remote VisitURI (516728) & (551181) : Still blocked by 556400.
    • dougt completed both tasks and waiting on review

    • blocked on a couple of bugs; satchel has been rewritten in JS
    • need a way to get message manager from components (566024)
  • set title (566738)
    • upfront refactor work we need to do

    • after this, we will stub out History::SetURITitle for e10s


Automation/Testing

  • Getting close on mochitest

    • Final issue on try: segfault while using messageManager.loadFrameScript bug 572149

    • Over the weekend began to be able to write to nsIFile objects from content – bug 572152


Addon Installation (InstallTrigger)

  • Works with patch in review, bug 550936

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/23-Jun-2010

From MozillaWiki


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel


Schedule

  • 1.1 rc 1 is out!

  • Onward to 2.0 alpha 1
    • Code freeze ~ June 30


Major Topics for This Week


Front-end

  • Fennec 2.0

    • Primary effort right now is getting e10s functionality into mobile-browser

    • e10s Worklist has some details on the things we are doing
    • electrolysis + mobile-browser is functional, more work going on to stablize, support panning/zooming and support tests
    • We are still finding and getting fixes for numerous crashes on mozilla-central and electrolysis
    • Planning 2.0 has been updated, although some of the details and priorities need to be set
    • Work continued on an “Understanding e10s for Add-on Developers” document
    • Blog posts about Mobile + Electrolysis are forthcoming as well


UX design

  • 1.1 field guide still finished, waiting to post

  • design ideas/feedback to feedback tools (aakash) and “Join Our Community” page (Caitlin)
  • Sean working on Android theme this week; also working on a mobile version of “about add-ons” content (early version of desktop one)
  • working through Planning 2.0 to get the list in order, and to put all our design materials in details pages
    • Planning 2.0 page has a lot of in-progress content at the moment – do not panic!


Maemo


Qt


Android

  • fully functional nightlies building off of trunk

  • top priorities
    • keyboard interactions (mwu)

    • startup/shutdown/resume (blassey)
    • e10s (mwu)
    • layers/gles (vlad)
    • protocol handlers (brad)
    • multitouch (mfinkle?)


Electrolysis

  • completed a difficult m-c -> e10s merge last night

  • bz is a bit over 2/3 of the way through the e10s sr. (eta at end of week)


General Platform


Geolocation Working Group


Video


Camera

  • Raw Decoder landed but bounced over the weekend due to intermittent timeouts on Linux 32bit debug tests.

  • Image encoder patch ready to land, r+ and sr+.
  • Discussed proposed interfaces with roc, updating patch for the binding.


Plugins


Performance


Networking


Graphics


Startup


Layout


Content


Release Engineering

  • https://intranet.mozilla.org/Build:Mobile:Priorities

  • New fremantle/fremantle-qt nightly repos
  • Maemo5 QT l10n (multilocale deb, single locale repacks)
  • Android m-c + mobile switchover
  • Android NDK r4 + Crystax update
  • Android SDK r8 update
  • Aki working on Android, Maemo5-{gtk,qt} release builders
  • Bear working on SUTAgentAndroid integration
  • N900 PR1.2 in production
  • Testing for all n900′s has been fixed
  • Mobile builds moving to buildbot-0.8.0
    • what coverage is desired
  • Working on getting try support for maemo5 and android on new try server


QA


Manual

  • notes:

    • bugs filed on the Fennec product over the past week

    • Added Idea Wiki for Add-ons we’d like made (but don’t have the time to make)
    • Sent out e-mail to mobile@moz about feedback on Beta Tools
    • vetted 39 litmus test reports for Waverley and updated testcases as well as followed up on bugs filed
  • goals for upcoming week (in order of priorities) :
    • look through bugzilla UNCONFIRMED/NEW bugs, Litmus Tests and maemo forums post-release

    • Get update on 2.0 project wikis and start test case creation


Automation & Tools

Android Test Framework status: Going to be landing a number of these today:

  • bug 567945 – should re-land today now that bear and I figured out the pathing issue

  • bug 573281 – updates for device manager
  • bug 573282 – Agent crashes when installing fennec (Bmoss can’t seem to reproduce, checking to see if I had a bad build of fennec).
  • bug 573478 – RemoteReftests should start httpd.js.
  • bug 573263 – Refactoring to get reftests working, making reftest and mochitest match w.r.t. call signature and option names etc.
  • bug 573964 – Reftests must write to a log file on android (we don’t have access to stdout).

e10s:

  • bug 567417 – e10s + mochitest

    • resolving 1 leak and incorporating all review feedback

browser-chrome tests:


Other

  • Fennec 2.0 a1 blockers?

  • jchen?

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2010-06-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2010-06-23

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.


Upcoming Releases

Agenda

  • actions from last week:

    • none
  • schedule and progress on upcoming releases
  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Action Items

  • christian to tell build when to start & release the 3.5.10 -> 3.6.4 advertised update


Schedule & Progress

Firefox 3.5.10 / Firefox 3.6.4

  • Shipped yesterday, yay! Thanks everyone!

  • Still manually testing the 3.0.19 -> 3.6.4 advertised update, to be released later today
  • Bug 556957 was disclosed because the reporter thought it was fixed in 3.6.4, but it is fixed in 3.6.6. Not a huge deal because it is sg-moderate. If we need to do a quick spin off the 3.6.4 relbranch we’ll take the fix to that as well
  • No major issues have come to my attention yet. If you find one or see others talking about one, please email clegnitto@mozilla.com or release-drivers@mozilla.org

Firefox 3.5.11 / Firefox 3.6.6

Firefox 4.0 Beta 1

  • decided yesterday not to block on a few things:

    • OSX 64 bit symbols

    • socorro crash report processing for OOPP crashes on OSX
    • retained layers
  • a few blockers left, long poles are
    • Windows Theme

    • Feedback XPI
  • hoping to get code frozen up tonight or early tomorrow
  • beltzner to send email to release-drivers for go to build late tonight or early tomorrow est
  • qa expects a requirement of up to 5 days
    • juanb to develop the test plan in today’s QA meeting and communicate out
  • beta website and feedback channels will be ready by June 30
  • there will be no localized release of beta 1
  • beltzner will document the beta release process and send it around to dev.planning and release-drivers

Fennec 1.1 RC

  • It’s out!

  • Polling various feedback channels for issues
  • Release Date TBD

Jetpack SDK 0.5

  • on track for release today, Wednesday, June 23

  • Add-ons Builder Preview Release based on SDK 0.5 tentatively scheduled for release to select audiences later this week

Firefox Sync 1.4


Highlights / Notices

Please add notes for issues you’d like to bring to everyone’s attention!

  • Firefox 3.6.4 is out! Awesome!

  • Build
    • FIREFOX 3.0 INFRASTRUCTURE IS GONE!!!!


Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today’s meeting.

  • Build

    • When will we advertise 3.5.10 -> 3.6.4 update?

      • Depends on 3.5.10 uptake for 3.5 users, likely next week
    • When’s the earliest we would be doing 4.0b1? tonight or tomorrow morning!


Press & Public Reactions


Future Releases: Planning & Co-ordination

Agenda

  • action items from last week:

  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Action Items


Highlights / Notices

  • Jetpack 0.6 SDK coming in late July along with public release of add ons builder

  • Firefox Home getting close to being submitted to the iPhone App Store


Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today’s meeting.

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress