Meeting Notes

28-July-2010

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/28-Jul-2010

From MozillaWiki


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel


Schedule


Major Topics for This Week


Front-end

  • Bug fix mode

    • Fixing reported bugs

    • Fixing blockers for alpha 1
    • Fixing broken browser-chrome tests
    • Several e10s related patches are very close to landing, including some e10s crashers
  • Feature mode
  • Cleanup mode
    • Updating front-end code to current trunk style

    • Re-organizing some areas
  • Updated more status and details for Planning 2.0 tasks


UX design


Maemo


Qt


Android


Electrolysis

  • bug 550936 (InstallTrigger) ready to land once an xpconnect bug, bug 582100 is done (which they say should be soon)

  • bug 573635 has two ways to resolve it, and we have patches for both. Neither is perfect but a perfect solution requires fundamental work on IPC networking. So for now, just need to decide which of the 2 patches to go with.
  • place bugs getting closer to land.
  • necko e10s reviews going faster. (12 patches in review state, 1 ready to push)
  • removing real widgets soon in the child process
  • window.crypto
  • lots of warnings+errors in startup


General Platform


Geolocation Working Group


Video


Camera

  • Layout bindings landed Bug 567323

  • Raw decoder relanded, looks like it will stick this time. Bug 508082
  • Have 95% of a patch to eliminate the temporary file and teach the DOM how to properly deal with a file generated by the camera. Chasing test failures down.


Plugins


Performance

  • Started wiki page on device and application states/notices by OS (‘low battery’, ‘screen dimmed’, ‘application in background’, etc.), need data from Android people please.


Networking


Graphics


Startup


Layout

  • Where are we with Layers

    • Retained layers code has created some bugs in Fennec bug 579349

    • “Fake widgets” finished wrt drawing, need event/focus/IME love bug 582057
    • “Remote frames” for cross-process layers working with test-ipc, will be up for review today
  • Bugs to watch
    • Tracking bug bug 574512

    • e10s shadow tree bug 570620
    • Integrate chrome hierarchy bug 130078 (fake widgets make this bug mostly irrelevant to fennectrolysis+browser)


Content


Release Engineering


QA


Manual

  • bugs filed on the Fennec product over the past week

  • Fx Input is mobile ready and will be pushed live tomorrow.
  • working on triaging broken/unclear/failed test reports on litmus
  • ahoza will be working on Find in page functionality testing
  • Dates/Times related to Alpha 1?
  • bug notes
    • bug 579349 – is still a blocker for testing

    • bug 581532 – Pages now load again with browser.tabs.remote=true, so testing again with that enabled. I’m getting crashes when closing tabs, in that case, though.
    • (mw22) Found bug 582242 crasher. It seemed to be Windows only, though.


Automation

    • Android

      • Landed everything for mochitest/reftest on m-c

      • Patches in place for mochitest chrome/browser-chrome on android (need to be in a .jar file bug 543800)
      • Working with bear this week to get heartbeat and device management into tinderbox
      • Fixing little bugs along the way
    • Browser-Chrome bug 553474

      • handful of fixes to get tests working in e10s (thanks mfinkle, vingtetun)

      • lots of progress on new tests
      • still have an issue with ‘too much recursion’ causing all the tests to timeout
    • [Green]

      • mw22 and jmaher started looking into mochitest failures…the ball is rolling


Other

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2010-07-28

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.


Agenda

  • actions from last week:

  • schedule and progress on upcoming releases
  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Action Items


Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases


Firefox 3.5.12 / Firefox 3.6.9

  • schedule posted

  • should also include new locales


Firefox 4.0 Beta 3

  • code freeze on Monday

  • scheduled release next Friday, August 6th
  • major features


Jetpack SDK 0.6

  • pushed back a day due to respin to take half dozen low-risk fixes

  • scheduled for today, Wednesday, July 28
  • release notes


Add-on Builder.next

  • staging this week

  • tentative release date next Tuesday, August 3
  • two follow-on releases in August, scheduled at two week intervals
  • after that: AMO integration!


Fx Input

Input 1.6

  • Going live tonight at 1am

  • New Features: Mobile Pages, Clusters, URL submission on happy forms, some wording changes,

Input 1.6.1

  • Scheduled to go live next Wednesday, 8/4

  • New Features: Sites, Searching only with messages with URLs
  • Bug fixes we couldn’t get to in 1.6

Input 1.7


Test Pilot studies

  • User background survey

  • User Perception Survey [July 22-29]
  • Firefox 4 Beta Interface Study [July 22-29]
  • Search Study [August 5-12]


Highlights / Notices

Notes or issues that don’t correspond to a particular release you’d like people to know about.

  • Renaming Personas to Backgrounds is being discussed – rdoherty

    • A/B test showed 15% higher engagement on Firstrun page for ‘Backgrounds’

    • Moves Personas from brand to feature, in line with the majority of Firefox features
    • Easier translation for locales
    • No changes to 3.6, string change for Firefox 4
    • Add-ons manager mockup
  • Feedback from Beta channels
    • 24,000 Response Test Pilot Survey – User Perception on the current FX browser

      • Aim: to understand user perception on FX in general over time.

        • Findings may not only aim to inform the design, but alsoSUMO.

        • We will also follow up a similar survey in a month to understand the change of user perception.
      • Survey Results
      • Results Highlights:
        • 74% launch their browsers multiple times a day

        • Majority of users like the new UI – gave 7,8,9 (out of 9)
        • People liked (see slides 9-12): the new tab-on-top UI; having more screen real estate; anything involving heavy JavaScript works better now.
        • People didn’t like (see slides 13-16): hard to start private browsing and check out downloads due to the new menu design; easy to add a bookmark but hard to find bookmarks (no bookmarks bar by default); opening lots of tabs in Win 7 from the task bar
    • Top Feedback across channels
      • Problems downloading attachments from Hotmail [bug 581502]

      • Issues around SVG text properties [bugs filed]
      • Hootsuite doesn’t work with our HTML 5 Parser [bug 581949]
      • Can’t close/minimize [known bug 574833, also confirmed by TP discussion groups]
      • Don’t get pretty theme with Windows 7/Vista w/o aeroglassi.e., default basic theme then get XP UI [cww will test bug and file appropriately -- Seems to be deliberate?]
      • App Tabs go away after restart [bug filed, Facebook]
  • Firefox 3.6.8 support issues:
    • We’re seeing even more cases of Flash video not working or crashing (20+). A number of these appear to be bug 575326 which is Nvidia drivers incompatible with Flash 10.1 with hardware acceleration.

    • We’re also seeing another increase (~15-20) in number of users with missing toolbars which is bug 547891
    • Lastly, with two updates in the past week, we’re seeing more of the usual update breakages or problems on other sites being attributed to updates : McAfee blocking Firefox ( bug 582360 ), Zynga’s Poker Facebook game not working, other Facebook issues (see bug 581123, since resolved) .
  • Clustered site comments around Firefox 4 Beta 1 via Input


Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today’s meeting.

  • Any update on branching 2.0? Looking for invariants in the en-US branch plan, to get more data points on what’s the least laborious and risky path for l10n, for which we’ll need to end up with “all your local repos have set upstream urls for the life time of 4.0″. (Axel)

    • so far we’re tracking to this schedule of milstones

    • plan is to branch in time for b5 (early September)
  • Did we start to compare actual beta audience with the anticipated beta audience? (Axel)
    • we don’t think that we’re hitting enough mainstream (mayumi)

    • plan is to extend outreach to consumer audience starting with beta 3 and onwards as UI solidifies
  • How are we doing outbound communication on removal of UI language on UA string – bug 572656 (aakashd)
    • feels like something we should have talked about more broadly (beltzner)

    • beltzner to follow-up with engagement


Press & Public Reactions

27-July-2010

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey:StatusMeetings:2010-07-27

From MozillaWiki

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty


Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

CLOSED

K.I.V.

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. Contact at Google says they don’t want additional specific consumers of the service right now and want to enable some general way of accessing it “some time” – We can only wait right now. No easy solution in sight. Also, discussing a possible open Geolocation service.


SeaMonkey 2.0.6

fixed (48)

  • Based on Gecko 1.9.1.11, RELEASED on July 20.


SeaMonkey 2.0.7

open blockers (0)
blocker requests (1)
fixed (2)

  • Based on Gecko 1.9.1.12, target dates TBD, see Releases.

  • Release schedule will be synchronized with the next Firefox 3.5 release (3.5.12).


SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 3

open blockers (3)
blocker requests (2)
targeted (3)
fixed (30)

(Further 2.1 scheduling:)

  • Please help updating the New 2.1 Features page as we go.

  • Plans for 2.1: 6-8 weeks per milestone, a3 in late July or early August, b1 in August/September, and a final in October/November.
  • This seems to match recently presented Firefox 4 plans relatively well – they’ll go for beta really soon now and Final in the same timeframe as we have in those plans right now.
  • It would be good to get OOPP (Out Of Process Plugins) for SM2.1 but we need some way to build libxul to be able to build OOPP. Various Mailnews work has to be done (and is being done) for that to be possible.
  • The freeze for Firefox 4.0 Beta 1 has been carried out, and the Mozilla/Gecko version has been bumped to 2.0b2pre.
  • When can we freeze? When can we land places bookmarks?
  • Possible freeze date Tuesday 10th. August. This might give Neil enough time to review Places Bookmarks.


Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 50 new, 27 fixed, 24 triaged.

  • Fix rate is back up, esp. last week!

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Major wanted/needed features:


2.0.x

  • bug 423281 Help updates.

    • status/progress?
  • bug 483282 Make sure normal SeaMonkey use doesn’t pay a price for having Venkman installed [Mnyromyr].
    • Needs at least a core patch landing for 1.9.1.10 bug 364864 (nsICategoryManager::deleteCategoryEntry does not persist outside of component registration) which depends on bug 480851 getting fixed on trunk.

    • Mnyromyr hopes to get to look into Venkman now that he’s released Mnenhy 0.8.
    • status/progress? Any hopes that this will still make 2.0?
  • bug 471346 Port GetDefaultFeedReader to SeaMonkey shell service [mcsmurf].
    • Landed on trunk, Callek and mcsmurf working to get it onto branch.

    • status/progress?


2.1

  • bug 460953 kill-rdf port [sgautherie].

    • Postponed until mcsmurf (or sgautherie) can resume work on it.

    • status/progress?
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.

    • status/progress?
  • bug 410613 OpenSearch. helpwanted.
    • We need to check if OpenSearch can support all our existing functionality, for example the INTEPRETS section in Sherlock search plugins. Mnyromyr will check on that, and on how extensible the Firefox code is.

    • status/progress?
    • The current consensus it to get some basic functionality going with OpenSearch first. And then later to see how much of the old functionality we can reimplement in follow-ups.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
    • Currently unowned, helpwanted.

    • [InvisibleSmiley: I'm looking into this, finished an initial port, but no success yet]
  • bug 498596 Places bookmarks. [KaiRo]
    • Still waiting on reviews from Neil, patches have been split up into separate bugs per partial issue.
  • bug 480734 Satchel data editor (“Form Manager”).
    • will be implemented in terms of Data Manager, see below.
  • bug 569341 Data Manager [KaiRo]
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 2.0) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze will look into that once KompoZer 0.8 is done.

    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We’re still trying to work out some organizational issues.
    • At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (dmose).
    • status/progress?
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
    • A list of TODO icons is up in the bug.

    • Still needs quite a bit of work.
    • status/progress?
    • bug 522023 is working on improving the browser globe in task icons, etc..
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
    • status/progress?
  • bug 97023 Search/Find in page UI: toolbar instead of dialog [bfrisch].
    • LANDED!
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
    • Waiting on feedback requests.
  • bug 467867 [META] Implement Firefox TabBrowser API in Seamonkey [misak].
    • Misak has ported major items. Follow up bugs and patches have either landed or are in process.

    • Already Fixed: getBrowserAtIndex(), getBrowserIndexForDocument(), loadTabs(), loadOneTab(), change addTab(), getIcon(), selectTabAtIndex(), web progress notifications for all tabs, progress Listener and Tab Progress Listener onLinkIconAvailable callback, Site icons places history and bookmarks.
    • TODO: bug 562649 set and correctly handle userTypedValue when loading external URIs. bug 570981 Remove URLBarSetURI’s aValid parameter.
  • bug 563261 Lightweight themes / personas [KaiRo].
    • LANDED for browser windows! Bugs for a few followups are filed, some have patches.
  • bug 566138 Better integration with Windows 7 taskbar.
    • bug 581526 Add SeaMonkey support for the Windows 7 jump list [mcsmurf].

      • Work in progress.

We also should take a look at the other items on 2.1-wanted
Also the nominations need triaging.

  • We need to find a solution for Lightning, which is targeting Thunderbird 3.1 now.

    • Lightning 1.0 beta 1 is for SM2.0 and TB3.0, 1.0 beta 2 is for TB3.1 (Gecko 1.9.2). Further versions will probably be for 2.0-based releases.


Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).


ajschult


Aqualon


asrail


biesi


Callek

Working on:

  • bug 576820 Provide saner Error Console Spew (or none) when Firefox 4 manifest features are used.

  • bug 579241 Update c-c packaging to account for libangle.so newly added to m-c.
  • bug 569839 Port bug 569365 (kill preprocessor.pl) to comm-central.

Investigating:


ewong

  • Fixed: bug 579747 Page Info – Permissions, Ineffectual on https: sites.

  • Working on: bug 572389 Remove gopher references from SeaMonkey code.


IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Bugs fixed:
    • bug 566593 Add-ons Manager window shows multiple times

    • bug 575956 Customize Address Book toolbars.
  • Bugs being worked on:
    • Customize Composer toolbars.


InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

  • Working on:
    • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.

    • Scripts for bug 246405 mail_help.xhtml should be split to several files


KaiRo


mcsmurf

Working on:

  • bug 581526 Add SeaMonkey support for the Windows 7 jump list.


Misak

Fixed (or in-progress) bugs:

  • bug 515006 Port bug 354894 [Session restore doesn't work if process hasn't exited (Downloads window open)] to SeaMonkey. (browser_bug515006.js) Fixed.

  • bug 558614 Implement Firefox TabBrowser API: loadTabs(), loadOneTab() and change addTab(). Fixed.
  • bug 579845 Implement Firefox TabBrowser API: selectTabAtIndex(). Fixed.
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored.
  • bug 564677 Port bug 539594 [Middle-clicking back/forward/reload should open the new tab next to the current one].
  • bug 577939 Port bug 519216 [Removing a progress listener while it's being called affects subsequent listeners] and followup bug 577320.


Mnyromyr

Working on:

  • bug 254800 Add additional headers with values based upon identity.


MReimer


Neil

Bugs fixed:

  • bug 576745 Make ChatZilla XPCOM component use new manifests and data tables.

  • bug 579860 Consider starting bash in its own console window.
  • bug 579931 libgklayout.so link failure because of undefined GLContext methods.
  • bug 581151 make chrome no longer works.
  • bug 581652 Some versions of gcc won’t compile nsCharSeparatedTokenizer.
  • bug 581903 –enable-xterm-updates disables parallel dirs.
  • bug 581909 Don’t pass -safeseh to ml64 because the behaviour is buggy.

Working on:

  • bug 533290 extApplication.js, _prefs object unexpectedly garbaged collected.

  • bug 576869 Make venkman XPCOM components use new manifests and data tables.
  • bug 576900 Make suite XPCOM components use new manifests and data tables.
  • bug 579208 Sizes of some XUL elements changes when lightweight themes are applied.
  • bug 579272 context menu background is transparent [venkman].
  • bug 581307 XPCOMUtils should provide a convenient way to lazily import modules.
  • bug 581309 Remove unused properties from XPCOMUtils.

Investigated:


Ratty

Bugs fixed:

  • bug 370387 In Advanced/General/Choose “en-US” (set via intl.accept_languages) is not match to “en-us”.

  • bug 517469 Port bug 363130: make menuitem icons 16x16px consistently on Windows/Linux.
  • bug 534322 PageInfo Dialog is too short.
  • bug 570970 Move the Link Behaviour preferences from the tabs pane to a separate pane.
  • bug 571517 [SeaMonkey] Don’t pass strings to setTimeout.
  • bug 572682 Move popups, panels, and tooltips into popupsets (e.g. mainPopupset).
  • bug 577225 Second getChildList parameter is now optional.
  • bug 577514 Remove redundant pref-offline UI which was commented out since 2001.

Working on:

  • bug 518736 Lightning options button in Add-on window error – looking for preferences.xul. waiting for review.

  • bug 529240 Make drop down menus for back and forward buttons middle/Ctrl-clickable.

Other:


sgautherie


Standard8


stefanh

Working on:

  • bug 536904 Add toggletoolbar=”true” to the windows that should have a Mac toolbar toggle pill.

  • bug 579737 Make lightweight themes / personas work with browser on Mac.
  • bug 580323 Fix up autocomplete-history-popup menuitem in mac classic.
  • bug 581686 Page Info tabs aren’t drawn correctly.


wladow


Any other business?

  •  None.

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2010-07-27

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

  • Blackhat is this week

Firefox (Supported Branches)

  • Initial schedule for 3.6.9/3.5.12 is up at Releases/Firefox_3.6.9.

    • Code freeze is currently scheduled for Thursday August 12 @ 11:59 pm PST

    • Please let christian or release-drivers know if there are issues with the schedule
  • Initial post-mortem dates & times have been scheduled
    • Firefox 3.6.7/8: 2010-08-03 @ 1:00 pm PST, duration 45 mins

    • Firefox 3.6.4/6: 2010-08-10 @ 1:00 pm PST, duration 1 hour
  • I know they are in conflict with critsmash meetings, let me know if that is an issue (probably only matters for 3.6.4/6, so I may move that one to a different day)

Firefox (Beta)

  • should be shipping Firefox 4 Beta 2 around noon PT today

  • code freeze for Firefox 4 Beta 3 is set for next Monday, August 2nd, 23:00 PT


Blocker Report

Firefox 3.6.9

  • There are 22 open blockers

    • Code freeze is currently scheduled for Thursday August 12 @ 11:59 pm PST

    • Let’s try to not get them all in on the last day. I’ll be bugging people furiously this week and the start of next

Firefox 3.5.12

Firefox 4 Beta


Browser / Front End

johnath at BlackHat this week, frontend Q3 Goals updated with team status.


Firefox Development

(from our goals):

  • [NEW] Feature complete Firefox 4

    • Extension Manager – Functionality there, lots of bugs to fix.

    • Account Manager – Partial work, restaffing to get this one done.
    • Notification UI – Geo done, WIP patches on others.
    • TabCandy – Initial reviews. Big patch, might take iteration, but getting traction now
    • Integrated Sync – Patches up, no reviews yet
    • New Theme – Substantially done on Windows and Mac, Linux lagging.
    • App Tabs – Basic UI in place, several functionality follow ups to get to feature complete
    • Switch to Tab – Done
    • Inspector – In progress
    • Web Console – In progress
    • Silent updates on Windows – In progress
  • [NEW] Dirty profile startup within 20% of clean profile startup (modulo extensions, plugins; on windows)


Platform

  • GFX Goals Update:

    • D2D

      • Down to 33 reftest failures bug 578110

      • We’re having some problems with the way gradients are implemented in D2D bug 582236 and not sure how to solve them at this point. We’ll need to figure out how bad this is and what we can do about it
  • JS Goals Update:
    • JaegerMonkey plan is on target

    • VM perf wins (strings, arrays) being checked in
    • ES5
      • Landings

        • Added U+FEFF to whitespace in bug 581067 (discovered while writing another test)

        • /a/.lastIndex is now a nearly plain-vanilla property, settable to any value (coerced to number for internal use), bug 465199
        • Killed special handling (except for a new warning) of eval called with two arguments in bug 531675
        • Function.prototype.apply no longer requires arguments to be an array or an arguments value — any array-like object is valid now, bug 562448 (includes recent spec erratum spawned by work on this)
      • In progress
        • Updating parseInt to reject octal input in strict mode (ES5 rejects everywhere, we’re concerned about compatibility) in bug 577536; also significantly reorganized/cleaned up decade-old integer parsing code, much more understandable now with fewer mandatory special-case behaviors to internalize

        • Requiring object-literal getters/setters to have 0/1 arguments, bug 536472, plus some prerequisite cleanups
        • Yak-shaving to be able to make JSON.parse reject trailing commas
  • Content Goals Update:
    • Got a couple of boosts on Dromaeo last week! graph (peterv and smaug)
  • Layout Goals Update:


Windows 7 Test Status

We must have our trees green on Windows 7 to ship Firefox 4.
We need owners to make this happen.

  • bug 562489 [tracking bug] for the various win7 32-bit unit tests orange

  • bug 562955 – jimm – mochitests-4/5 – test_bug458898.html
  • bug 574042, bug 574040 – Enn / jimm (toolkit / widget) widgets/test_popupincontent.xul
  • bug 578448 – Mossop – browser_bug435788.js times out (waiting on manual retest from armen) – underlying issue is bug 542504
  • bug 575748 – Dão Gottwald – browser_overflowScroll.js (WIP patch posted)
  • bug 562967 – Justin Dolske – test_uriloader_exthandler\unit\test_handlerService.js
  • bug 562957 – Enn
  • bug 581734 – smontagu?? – mochitest-chrome timeout in toolkit/content/tests/chrome/test_bug558403.xul
  • comment 19 of bug 561350 (but not the rest of the bug) – no owner – xpcshell test failing: test_punicodeURIs.js – underlying issue is bug 542504
  • bug 582315 – felipec?? – intermittent orange in test_taskbarprogress_downloadstates.xul and test_taskbarprogress_service.xul

Direct 2D oranges:

  • bug 578110 – [tracking bug] reftest Direct 2D oranges

  • bug 578127 – no assignee – bidi/visualmarquee.html, logicalmarquee.html
  • bug 578134 – jrmuizel -box-shadow/boxshadow-rounded-spread.html
  • bug 578135 – jrmuizel -box-shadow/boxshadow-onecorner.html
  • bug 578114 – jrmuizel -bugs/289480.html#top
  • bug 578116 – Bas Schouten -379349-1b.xhtml, 379349-1c.xhtml
  • bug 578118 – Jonathan Kew -385569-1a.html, 385569-1b.html
  • bug 578121 – jrmuizel -456219-1{a,b,c}.html, 456219-2.html
  • bug 578124 – jrmuizel -555388-1-ref.html

Mac OS X 10.6/64-bit test oranges:

  • bug 561350 – josh – test_punycodeURIs.js fails (was timing out) on 10.6 opt xpcshell test


Tree Management

To be announced:

  • we want to disable unit test on builders tomorrow Wednesday if no objections (Windows 2003 builder will wait until we have all test suites GREEN)

For reference:


Roundtable

  • Hands-up for what’s going into Beta 3 (beltzner)

    • new JS values – could affect add-ons that use JSAPI

    • OSX uses UNIX filesystem code instead of OSX filesystem code
    • Sync UI built in (needs review)
    • SQLite 3.7.0
  • Quick overview of new tree rules (beltzner)
    • patches on blocking (mozilla2.0, fennec2.0) bugs are always approved

    • NPOTB and tests are always approved
    • bustage fixes and backouts are always approved
    • question: bugs that block blockers – explicit approval/blocking status?
      • no explicit approvals/flags needed until we see abuse
    • question: meta bugs allowed to block?
      • still no, for now

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 10:59 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2010-07-27

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Current Release Schedules
Thunderbird 3.2 Thunderbird 3.1.2 Thunderbird 3.0.7
To Be Announced

To Be Announced

To Be Announced

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> bienvenu

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to davida for schedule changes/additions.


Action Items


Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friends of the Tree When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozillamessaging.com so that he can send them a shirt!

  • FuzzyFox/William D

  • Jonathan Kamens


Conversion Funnel (Priority 0 side project)

  • 31% – 41% ISPDB success rate. Top 10 misses, secureserver.net, psmtp.com, ocn.ad.jp, rr.com, ovh.net, cox.net, att.net, virginmedia.com, ewetel.de, and go2.pl. Next 20 would add 4.6%.

  • Next funnel cake 2 will be on Tb 3.1.2. Bug 582240
  • Funnel Cake 1: 81% retention rate after 4 months.


Thunderbird Development


Feature Work


3.2

  • Initial tb-planning thread, quick summary:

    • 3.2 based off a comm-1.9.2 with mozilla-1.9.2 with limited back-ported features and fixes.

    • Would allow some API changes (many for extensions benefit) and string changes.
    • Next trunk release would be after FF 4 ships, possibly as little as one month, depending on what state our trunk is in, features landed etc.


Major updates to 3.1

  • Expecting a small 3.1.2

  • Then push prompted major updates to TB 3.1.2.
    • Initial 3.0.? -> 3.1.2 push planned for ? August.

    • Initial 2.0.0.24 -> 3.1.2 push planned for ? August.


Thunderbird Stability & Security Releases


Experiments

  • Pushed back release of this weeks add-on (Contacts)

    • Expected for release later in week (thursday)
  • Will be doing screen casts for add-on experiments


QA Updates

  • Nothing much to report for this week.

  • when shall we start closing (or perhaps asking for retest) of so-called “2.0 only” and older bugs, eg older crashes?
  • Planning on having QA seminars in September, to teach volunteers how to do things like regression window discovery.


Marketing Updates

  • PR Update: Over 40 stories on Thunderbird and Firefox security update 1, 2, 3

  • Worked with FuzzyFox to come up with a screen cast for Quick Filter. Turned out great.
  • Thunderbird Quarterly Satisfaction Survey, launching this week, on Thunderbird start page.

Next:


IT update

  • Nightly updates now from dedicated system

  • Build capacity improvements
  • YVR (minis) network link issues
  • TryServer almost ready
    • won’t get unit tests until we link into libxul


Documentation


Support

  1. 3.1 Support Issues – nothing really major so far, seems to be better than 3.0.x – please add your support issues to the Discussion page of this wiki page still a work in progress

  2. SuMoMo localization dashboard is up on trunk, thanks to Andrei – hope to go live powered by web trends data next week
  3. thanks to fuzzyfox for upcoming screencast on Quick Filter – will clarify things for lots of people, love to get Thunderbird HowTo Screencasts from others!
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details -


Lightning Updates


Status updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.


Roundtable Highlights


Attendees

dmose rafael standard8 bienvenu clarkbw ludo jenzed gozer roland bwinton

26-July-2010

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 10:59 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2010-07-26

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2010-07-26.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>


Friends of the Tree


Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 26 July

  • Black Hat (July 24 – 29, 2010) is the premier North American security conference. Mozilla will be in attendance at the event as well as having our own “Milk and Cookies” Party on 7/28.

Tuesday, 27 July

  • Black Hat (July 24 – 29, 2010) is the premier North American security conference. Mozilla will be in attendance at the event as well as having our own “Milk and Cookies” Party on 7/28.

Wednesday, 28 July

  • Black Hat (July 24 – 29, 2010) is the premier North American security conference. Mozilla will be in attendance at the event as well as having our own “Milk and Cookies” Party on 7/28.

Thursday, 29 July

  • Black Hat (July 24 – 29, 2010) is the premier North American security conference. Mozilla will be in attendance at the event as well as having our own “Milk and Cookies” Party on 7/28.

Friday, 30 July

  • Black Hat (July 24 – 29, 2010) is the premier North American security conference. Mozilla will be in attendance at the event as well as having our own “Milk and Cookies” Party on 7/28.

Next Week


Product Status Updates


Firefox 4

  • due to the chemspill, we’re a bit behind on schedule for beta 2

  • getting a QA update today, hoping for release tomorrow
  • beta 3 planning and landings going on this week
  • a set of planned milestones and release dates for beta revisions is available


Firefox 3.6

  • Released Firefox 3.6.7 on last Tuesday

  • Saw a high-volume crash regression with certain combinations of object and embed tags (bug 575836)
  • Released Firefox 3.6.8 with the fix on Friday…an amazingly quick turnaround!
  • Post-mortems for 3.6.(7|8) will be happening the week of the 1st and 3.6.(4|6) will be happening the week of August 9th. Exact dates will be sent out today
  • We are ready to do a chemspill release if anything comes up at BlackHat, though there are no talks we are too concerned about for Firefox
  • The Firefox 3.6.9 schedule will be out today
  • Any approvals for 1.9.2.8 are now for 1.9.2.9


Mobile Firefox


Thunderbird

  • Released Thunderbird 3.1.1 and 3.0.6

  • Found a bad crasher; we expect to need to spin 3.1.2 before offering advertised major updates to 3.1.x from older versions


Older Branch Work


Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
Mozilla Social Media Toolkit

Sarah Doherty

Mozilla Social Media Toolkit

http://mozilla.sarahdoherty.net/temp/MozillaSocialMediaToolkit.zip

mzl.la/sfxsocialmediatoolkit
Firefox 3.6.8 in almost 24 hours

John O’Duinn

FF3.6.8

blog post
Your Title Here

Your Name Here

What are you going to talk about?

Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen

Link to where audience can find out more information


Status Updates By Team


Firefox

  • Announced Tab Candy on Friday. Over the weekend we had:

    • 28 press articles, including dream headlines: “Firefox Just Perfected Tabs Browsing” from Techcrunch and “With FireFox’s Tab Candy Feature, We’ll Finally Achieve Tab Nirvana” from Gizmodo.

    • 3 million views of the video, with half a million watching all the way through.
    • Tens of thousands of tweets, with many saying they’ll never look at another browser again.
    • 30k+ installs of the Tab Candy alpha build of Firefox.
    • Hundreds of feature suggestions and votes for them, not all of which say Opera did it first.
    • Dozens of direct emails, some of which expressing a desire to have babies with Firefox.
  • The Tab Candy team (especially Ian Gilman, Edward Lee, and Mitcho Erlewine) deserve all the credit for pushing long and hard to get Tab Candy this far.
  • Please do some dogfooding with our Tab Candy build.
  • “Dirty” startup goal work underway with interesting results.


Platform


Messaging

  • Raindrop is rebooting: the backend is being rewritten for simplicity and speed on top of SQLAlchemy & MySQL/sqlite

  • related to Tb participation work, dmose held BOF at OSCON about community & contribution metrics, will blog soon


Mobile


IT

Last Week

  • Working through Firefix Sync scaling issues

  • Pre-planning for Amsterdam datacenter move (could happen as soon as Friday)
  • Wrapped up long-delayed Firewall upgrades in San Jose

This Week

  • Performance problems with the generic web server cluster this morning

    • Affected wiki.mozilla.org as well as others


Release Engineering


QA

  • Desktop QA:

    • 3.6.8 chemspill release testing. Shipped next day (Friday).

    • 4.0beta2, ongoing testing. Should ship tomorrow.
  • Browser Technologies QA:
    • Fennec 2.0 features are landing and specs are getting assigned. looking to eta an alpha end of month

    • Sync 1.4.2b1 tested and pushed to AMO
    • Firefox Home 1.0.1 tested and submitted to App Store
  • WebQA:
  • QA Services:


Automation & Tools

  • Lots of things in progress:

    • Android work finalizing apace

    • Mozmill moving quickly toward 1.4.2
    • Cycle collector talos runs in progress
    • Cross weave full automation should be ready for production at the end of the week
  • Held test day on grafx bot on Friday, submitted it to AMO.
  • More info here.


Security


Engagement

PR

Events

  • Black Hat USA 2010 July 24-29, 2010; Las Vegas, NV – We will be hosting our “traditional” Mozilla milk & cookies party on 7/28.  Check out the information on the wiki.

  • GUADEC 2010 – July 24-30, 2010; Netherlands.  We are sponsoring at the bronze level.  No Mozilla talks scheduled.
  • BlogHer ’10 – August 6-7, 2010 – We will be having a hotel suite and a presence in the GeekLab as well as a meetup on Thursday (open to non BlogHer folk)  – sign up for the meetup here.
  • Open Video Conference 2010 – October 1-2, 2010; New York, NY  – Looking over sponsorship opportunities.
  • Maker Faire Africa – August 27-28, 2010; Nairobi, Kenya – Looking into sponsorship opportunties.
  • Renegade Craft Fair Chicago 2010 – September 11-12, 2010 – We will have a booth and be doing some innovative activities.  Check out the wiki for more details Looking into sponsorship opportunities.

Creative Team

Community Marketing

  • Community Marketing Call: Next call is Wednesday July 28th at 10 a.m. PST/17:00 UTC. Please send agenda items to mary at mozilla dot com.


Support


Metrics


Evangelism


Labs


Developer Tools


Add-ons


Webdev


L10n

  • The L10n-drivers and Firefox Home team are finalizing a plan to localize the application. An announcement to the l10n newsgroup on instructions is forthcoming, hoping to post this week.

  • Firefox 4 beta 2 will ship with 23 locales, some taking advantage of our “l10n-merge” technology.
  • Firefox 4 beta web l10n work has been led by Pascal C. (Excellent work by Pascal) This tracking bug gives a good summary of the status of pages.
  • KaiRo (Robert Kaiser) posted an explanation about the goals of the l20n project in the dev.platform newsgroup. Thanks, KaiRo!
  • Congrats to the Malayalam localization for moving out of beta and into “official” status
    • Oriya, es-CL, and es-MX will be next to de-beta

    • L10n-drivers have a quarterly goal to reduce the number of locales in beta
  • Several new locales are expected for Firefox 4 as the l10n-drivers team starts afresh with outreach to long-standing contributors trying to make it into an official release.
    • Because of that, the team is refining the process by articulating more clearly what it takes to enter an official release, what is expected from both the l10n-drivers and the community proposing the new localization, and what are the consequences if all to-do items are not completed.


Introducing New Hires

  • Laura Forrest


Foundation Updates


Roundtable

21-July-2010

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/21-Jul-2010

From MozillaWiki


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel


Schedule

  • 2.0 Alpha 1 (tbd)


Major Topics for This Week

  • 2.0 Alpha Discussion

    • Blockers?

    • Sync Maemo and Android?


Front-end

  • Bug fix mode

    • Fixing reported bugs

    • Fixing breakage from move to e10s
    • Several e10s related patches are very close to landing, including some e10s crashers
    • Finding breakage from move to retained layers
  • Feature mode
  • Cleanup mode
    • Updating front-end code to current trunk style

    • Re-organizing some areas
  • Need to update more status and details for Planning 2.0 tasks


UX design


Maemo


Qt


Android

  • major focus for alpha is keyboard interactions and e10s regressions

  • bug stats
    • 2.0 blockers

    • 10 2.0a1 blockers
    • 16 new blockers since last week
    • 10 bugs resolved since last week


Electrolysis

  • Toolkit components need to land

  • Places API has landed, but e10s bits still need to land
  • Networking fixes need to land
    • SecurityInfo bug 536301 (need review and testing)

    • Redirects
    • Http Auth
    • App Cache
    • Suspend/resume (waiting on review)
    • Download Manager bug 552825 bug 562444(active)


Layers

  • Where are we with Layers

    • Retained layers code has created some bugs in Fennec bug 579349

    • Low-level cross-process layers code v0 will land on e10s soon
    • Shadow trees integrated into chrome-process invalidation and painting paths (screen (offset is on purpose))
    • Content process still relying on having a widget; talked to Timothy/Rob about next step. Advised to create “fake/stub” widget, got list of known-to-be-needed nsIWidget methods to implement.
    • Gutted all platform widget code from dom/ipc and nsFrameLoader. Breaks everything, to be fixed by cross-platform stub widget.
  • Bugs to watch


General Platform

  • New manifest loading is breaking parts of Fennec


Geolocation Working Group


Video


Camera

Getting reviews, landing patches, etc.

Went back through yesterday night and got approval2.0+ on stuff because mozilla-central went to approvals at the platform meeting yesterday.

DAP has a new draft spec that’s much better. Going to comment on it on their mailing list.


Plugins


Performance


Power

Various patches waiting for review/feedback: bug 571394, bug 568730, bug 359608


Networking


Graphics


Startup

Omnijar for desktop almost done bug 556644, which also works for Maemo. Most patches up for review.


Layout


Content


Release Engineering


QA


Automation

    • [Greening the unittests]

      • New section for [mochitests]!!! Please read and comment or help
    • Android
      • landed a bunch of updates for getting reftests running on android

      • initial work with :bear to get tests running, no luck yet
      • need to update talos bug 578343
      • need to update reftest bug 580418
    • Browser Chrome
      • starting to hack up existing tests to work in e10s


Manual

  • bugs filed on the Fennec product over the past week

  • Notes to mention about bugs found
  • Fx Input will be mobile ready by next week
  • goals for upcoming week (in order of priorities):
    • Continue having Waverley run nightly smoketests/BFTs of trunk of n900s builds

    • Add assignments to the new features added
    • Start on adding testcases/testscripts to features landed
  • Bug 579084 seems to be not there anymore. However I can’t get any page loaded in current builds. Apparently, this is bug 578952.


Other

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2010-07-21

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.


Agenda

  • actions from last week:

    • Remember that Blackhat/Defcon is coming up – be as prepared as one can be for chemspill.

    • Christian to follow up with MU uptake stats
  • schedule and progress on upcoming releases
  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Action Items


Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases


Firefox 3.5.11 / Firefox 3.6.7

  • shipped yesterday


Firefox 3.5.12 / Firefox 3.6.8

  • Christian will be generating a plan

  • might end up being a quick release depending on what happens at BlackHat


Firefox 4.0 Beta 2

  • builds generated this morning, QA has already started

  • juan expects QA to be done on Monday, July 26 EOD
  • lmesa will be updating the features and whatsnew pages
  • available in 32 locales
  • major changes in this milestone
    • XPCOM changes which break all 3rd party apps and binary add-ons

    • Tabs on Top for OSX
    • App Tabs
    • Retained Layers
    • JS performance improvements
    • CSS Transitions and Transformations
    • FIX: only one OSX dock icon when plugins are running
    • a list of all fixed beta2 blockers, and a rather complete changelist are available


Firefox 4.0 Beta 3

  • a tentative beta milestone list has been posted

  • next beta is expected 2 weeks after beta 2 – we’re serious about this!
  • will build a set of major features for next week, but what’s felt to be needed?


Input 1.5


Jetpack SDK 0.6

  • relatively minor set of improvements (schedule impacted by summit, meteors)

  • tree froze on Monday, July 19
  • RC1 expected today, Wednesday, July 21
  • tentative release date: Tuesday, July 27


Add-on Builder.next

  • goal is to resolve the major bugs and minor papercuts developers have been experiencing in the existing feature set of the previous preview release

  • still working on the timeline


Highlights / Notices

Notes or issues that don’t correspond to a particular release you’d like people to know about.

  • L10n (Axel)

    • Highlight: Fx 4 Beta 2 with 23 locales

    • Lowlight: shipped-locales is a PITA. Question to releng, which should I fix first, milestone creation (PITA, too, bug 565640 or add platform support to dashboard to export shipped-locales right, to fold it into l10n-changesets proper bug 535558?
    • want to join l10n testing goal meeting? Poke Pike.
  • Continued Feedback on Fx 4 beta 1: Overall, much less activity than last week, with more people commenting favorably about the speed/look of Fx 4 (not necessarily representative samples):

  • We intended to blocklist the Internet Download Manager (IDM) for Firefox 4 betas, but accidentally blocked it for Firefox 3.6.x users for 4-6 hours yesterday. That change has been reverted, but there are a few irate IDM users commenting in the bugs.


Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today’s meeting.

  • When are we switching on services/sync for Firefox? Wonder when’s the right time to expose that to l10n. (Axel)


Press & Public Reactions

20-July-2010

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2010-07-20

From MozillaWiki

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Current Release Schedules
Thunderbird 3.2 Thunderbird 3.1.1 Thunderbird 3.0.6
To Be Announced

  • Relbranch opens: June 24

  • Code & L10 freeze: July 13
  • Builds start: July 13
  • QA with builds start: July 14
  • Beta period starts: July 15
  • Final release: July 20
  • Relbranch opens: June 18

  • Code freeze: July 1
  • L10n freeze: July 1
  • Builds start: July 1
  • QA with builds start: July 2
  • Beta period starts: July 13
  • Final release: July 20

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!


Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Standard8

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to davida for schedule changes/additions.


Action Items


Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friends of the Tree When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozillamessaging.com so that he can send them a shirt!


Conversion Funnel (Priority 0 side project)

  • Funnel Cake 2 next week, looking to do a German version as well.

  • Conversion #’s after 3 months shows us at 78% retention.
  • ISPDB conversion is steady at 30-39%. Top missing domains: secureserver.net, psmtp.com, ocn.ad.jp, rr.com, at.net, ovh.net, aon.at, go2.pl, virginmedia.com, netease.com.


Thunderbird Development


Feature Work


3.2

  • Initial tb-planning thread, quick summary:

    • 3.2 based off a comm-1.9.2 with mozilla-1.9.2 with limited back-ported features and fixes.

    • Would allow some API changes (many for extensions benefit) and string changes.
    • Next trunk release would be after FF 4 ships, possibly as little as one month, depending on what state our trunk is in, features landed etc.


Major updates to 3.1

  • Expecting to push prompted major updates to TB 3.1.1.

    • Initial 3.0.6 -> 3.1.1 push planned for 27th July.

    • Initial 2.0.0.24 -> 3.1.1 push planned for 3rd August.


Thunderbird Stability & Security Releases

  • Releasing TB 3.0.6 and 3.1.1 the same time as FF 3.6.7

  • Bug Lists: 3.1, 3.0


Experiments


QA Updates

  • working on 3.0.6

  • working on 3.1.1
  • Usage of [tb-qa] in subjects to flag messages on mdat


Marketing Updates


IT update

  • Thunderbird 3.0.6

  • Thunderbird 3.1.1
  • New builders on : Linux + Linux64
  • TryServer progress


Documentation


Support

  1. 3.1 Support Issues – nothing really major so far, seems to be better than 3.0.x – please add your support issues to the Discussion page of this wiki page still a work in progress

  2. still assimilating lessons of #moz10 – amazing contributors and technology
  3. looking forward to working with Jen’s intern on Improving SuMoMo
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details – welcome back to GS contributor Michael Pasek!


Lightning Updates


Status updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.


Roundtable Highlights

  • Trunk maintenance

    • Getting too difficult/lots of maintenance to keep open – too much non-libxul build bustages

    • Proposed route for trunk:
      1. Go for the libxul option 2 asap.

        • We know we’re going to libxul

        • It will fix the current bustage, and protect us from any more non-libxul versus libxul
        • Support shared builds as a lower priority option – developers can back up to a working version, but tree can remain open.
      2. Let the work that is being done on external API finish
        • because I can see devs, and maybe linux distros, wanting this.
      3. Do some performances tests of internal & external APIs.
      4. Make decision on which to ship with Thunderbird trunk.


Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2010-07-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2010-07-20

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »


Notices / Schedule

  • Ideally, around September 1, we *should* be wrapping up our last beta with new features.

Firefox 3.5.11/3.6.7

  • releasing today

Firefox 3.5.12/3.6.8

  • planning on shipping after BlackHat

Firefox 4 Beta 2

  • final changeset happened just now!

  • spinning builds ASAP, hoping to have them available late today
  • will get a QA estimate at tomorrow’s meeting
  • aiming for Friday, July 23, might slip to Monday, July 26

Firefox 4 Beta 3

  • as per the Firefox Beta Plan this is due to ship on 6th of August

  • code freeze scheduled for Monday, August 2 at 11:59pm PT


Blocker Report

Firefox 4


Browser / Front End

  • The UX Team has collected and prioritized a list of Startup Experience bugs with some additional context for why they are important — take a look at the list and see if there’s anything you think you can help with! If you have feedback on feasibility and which things you think we can land for Firefox 4, that would be appreciated too.


Firefox Development

  • Feature complete Firefox 4

    • Gotta figure out a better way to high level this – projects page is too noisy
  • Jetpack API-complete for 1.0

    • 0.6 scheduled for 07-27


Platform

  • GFX Goals Update:

    • Direct2D is coming along well.

      • Making progress on getting Direct2D reftest failures fixed. Tracking in bug 578110.

      • There are also a couple of perf fixes needed because of the Direct2D clipping fixes. These are in bug 576169 and bug 576170.
      • Current plan is to enable Direct2D by default only on DirectX 10-compatible hardware.
      • My handwavy plan is to aim D2D at Firefox 4 beta 4.
    • Hardware-accelerated layers have fewer updates.
      • OpenGL on GLX is coming along, with lots of fixes landing recently. It’s now possible to run a full content window in OpenGL HW accelerated layers mode, and things mostly work.

      • Direct3D 9 is on the back burner while we work on Direct2D.
      • Still unscoped: running (ref)tests for HW accelerated layers.
  • JS Goals Update:
  • Content Goals Update:
    • How are we doing on the Zimbra perf tests?

    • 3.2% Dromaeo (CSS) increase from bug 564266 (peterv)
  • Layout Goals Update:
    • Retained layers fallout

      • A few ugly regressions, notably bug 579262, difficult because it’s Flash + Windows cross-process HWND interactions
    • Where are we on content/chrome rendering integration (bug 130078)?
      • Knocking off test failures and other bugs, tn’s patches are landing on mozilla-central as we go

      • Still finding new issues, so still difficult to estimate. Weeks, not days.
    • Multi-process layer backend ready to land in mozilla-central after beta2. The remaining work depends on de-widgetizing the content process completely. Not sure if we’ve thought through all of the implications of this WRT focus and gecko assumptions.


Windows 7 Test Status

We must have our trees green on Windows 7 to ship Firefox 4.
We need owners to make this happen.

  • bug 562489 [tracking bug] for the various win7 32-bit unit tests orange

  • bug 562955 – jrmuizel – mochitests-4/5 – test_bug458898.html
  • bug 574042, bug 574040 – Enn / jimm (toolkit / widget) widgets/test_popupincontent.xul
  • bug 558403 – smontagu
  • bug 578448 – Mossop – browser_bug435788.js times out
  • bug 575748 – Dão Gottwald – browser_overflowScroll.js (WIP patch posted)
  • bug 562967 – Justin Dolske – test_uriloader_exthandler\unit\test_handlerService.js
  • bug 562957 – Enn

Direct 2D oranges:

  • bug 578110 – [tracking bug] reftest Direct 2D oranges

  • bug 578127 – no assignee – bidi/visualmarquee.html, logicalmarquee.html
  • bug 578134 – no assignee -box-shadow/boxshadow-rounded-spread.html
  • bug 578135 – no assignee -box-shadow/boxshadow-onecorner.html
  • bug 578114 – no assignee -bugs/289480.html#top
  • bug 578116 – no assignee -379349-1b.xhtml, 379349-1c.xhtml
  • bug 578118 – no assignee -385569-1a.html, 385569-1b.html
  • bug 578121 – jrmuizel -456219-1{a,b,c}.html, 456219-2.html
  • bug 578124 – jrmuizel -555388-1-ref.html


Tree Management

  • Changing TryServer to *not* run Talos by default. bug 579573

    • dev.planning thread: [1]
  • Use same changeset for nightlies. bug 570814
    • dev.tree-management thread:[2]
  • Re-enabling 10.6 unittests on tryserver bug 579887

  • Switching unit tests from builders to minis
    • disabling TrackeMonkey unit tests on builders this week

    • enabling this week unit tests on minis for Fedora (32/64-bit) and 10.5/10.6 for *all* remaining project branches
    • we are not going to run unit tests on minis on 1.9.1/1.9.2 branches since it would require a great deal of backporting of the perma-oranges fixes. Branch tests will continue to be run on builders.
  • Windows 64-bit
    • switched from VS2010 to VS2008 to have jemalloc support
  • Automated cleaning of old builds on stage.m.o StageCleanupPolicy


Roundtable

  • Windows 64 bit shipping plan (beltzner)

    • not synchronous with Firefox 4 ship

    • trying to hit shortly afterwards
  • beta 2 roundup (beltzner)
  • beta 3 planning (beltzner)
  • pushes without linux tests (Mossop)
  • What makes it hard to diagnose and fix random oranges? Are any teams or people interested in taking on the pain points we have identified? -Jesse
  • bsmedberg proposed that the tree stay restricted to blockers-only until we branch.
    • And that we shouldn’t branch until Jaegermonkey lands

    • Certainly can’t branch until dewidgetification and XP-layers lands
  • Unified template library — mozilla/tl? bug 580314

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress