Meeting Notes

31-May-2011

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-31

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2011-05-31


« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • tonymec for running the SeaMonkey Bug Event ([SeaMonkey/Bug_events/20110518 a.k.a. Operation Nugzilla]).

    • therube in the category Aspiring Young Artist for his sterling work during the Bug Event.
    • Callek for battling the forces of the Empire, and his awesome release work of course.
    • Please note at the next meeting we have a new rule: A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

  • IanN to look at what needs to go into comm-aurora and comm-beta from comm-central. Due to string changes we have to be selective in which changesets to go into the merge.

OPEN

CLOSED

  • Ratty to see if he can round up some Lightning testers from the various SeaMonkey forums. comm-miramar builds are now available here. q.v. bug 653507 Lightning nightly builds for Miramar (Thunderbird 3.3 / Gecko 5.0) (comm-miramar + mozilla-aurora) [Done]

K.I.V.

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. We can still only wait on the Google front right now. Didn’t hear anything about open Geolocation service yet. No easy solution in sight.

SeaMonkey 2.1

open blockers (2)
blocker requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (63)

  • Firefox 4.0 was released on 22nd March.

  • SeaMonkey 2.1 RC 1 was released on 12th May, based on Gecko/Mozilla 2.0.1, built from comm-2.0.
  • SeaMonkey 2.1 RC 2 will start a spin later today.
    • A blocking bug without review (bug 660427), will land in a mozilla-2.0 SeaMonkey specific relbranch for us.

    • There are at least two bugs we need for RC2 build2; one is on the generation of MARs from the .exe (see previous point) and the other is in packager.mk for L10n repack.
  • Final is TBA.
  • Firebug 1.8.0a3 is the first Firebug release that is fully compatible with SeaMonkey 2.1.

Further 2.1 scheduling:

  • Please help updating the New 2.1 Features page as we go.

    • comm-2.0 is neither used nor supported by Thunderbird so InvisibleSmiley and Ratty have taken the responsibility for transplanting MailNews Core bugs from trunk as appropriate.
Lightning 1.0b4

A call for testers was posted to the newsgroups
news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.seamonkey (google groups view) and to Mozillazine.

Two Major issues were identified:

  • No L10n version for lightning miramar for linux x64 is available whereas there are localized versions for all other OSs. Bug filed: bug 659992 (Provide localized Lightning nightly builds for Linux 64-bit).

  • User-agent in mail, news, about: was correct but the user-agent sent to a web server was Lightning 1.0b4pre! Bug filed: bug 660522 (Lightning completely replaces the Thunderbird/SeaMonkey user agent in the protocol headers).
    Possible workaround: go to about:config and set the preference “calendar.useragent.extra” to an empty string [rel-note?].

Two known issues were discussed and should be rel-noted:

  • Lightning options cannot be opened from the Add-ons Manager. We need a rel-note that the Lightning preferences can be accessed from Edit->Preferences->Lightning. (bug 636104)

  • Keyboard shortcuts for accessing the calendar-tab from within the mail-window or from the main menu ctrl+shift+C/D do not work. This is a problem for both Thunderbird and SeaMonkey (bug 514512).

Other than the issues noted here, users who have been using Lightning 1.0b4pre since SeaMonkey 2.1b3 have reported that they have encountered no issues on Linux (32 and 64bit), Windows XP, and Windows 7.

Active
  • Besides Lightning, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.1.

    • Adblock, Firebug, Autofill Forms, SeaTabX, …

    • InvisibleSmiley has started maintaining a list. He’ll create a wiki page and post a newsgroup message regarding this.
    • There is a version of Autofill Forms that is compatible with SeaMonkey 2.1 on code.google.com. Ratty has pinged one of the authors and asked him to upload a SeaMonkey compatible version to AMO.
    • Useful query: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/extensions/?sort=popular
  • InvisibleSmiley created a 2.1 FAQ Wiki page, including a German translation. Ricardo Palomares translated it to Spanish.

Release Train

  • There might not be any more official security updates to the 1.9.1 branch after the upcoming one, so we should get a stable release based on Mozilla 2.0 out as soon as we can.

  • Note: SeaMonkey will directly go the the permanent repositories, i.e. -aurora, -beta in addition to -central. Miramar is a Thunderbird-only release branch (as is comm-2.0 for SeaMonkey).
  • Aurora was uplifted from Central last Tuesday, for both mozilla and comm. Beta is probably slightly older and does not match the mozilla branch point exactly.
  • For comm-aurora, we can let a few more things slip in, but we also should regard strings there as much frozen as possible. In the future, string freeze is the uplift from central to aurora, which matches Firefox.
  • SeaMonkey comm-aurora and comm-beta are buildable and tinderbox has run tests against them.
  • Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 32 new, 14 fixed, 109 triaged (Operation Nugzilla!).

Open reviews/flags:
36 review
12 super-review
0 ui-review
8 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

2.next

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

For now only a drop zone for those bugs that obviously will not make 2.1.

  • bug 460953 kill-rdf port [Closed].

    • Ewong to create a new meta-bug and move any unresolved dependencies over plus a dependent bug containing patch G as well. [Done] New bugs are:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].
    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object.
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 2.0) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze is currently busy with his new job so doesn’t have much time to spend on this.

    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (dmoseStandard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • No l10n impact

    • (InvisibleSmiley: ) Neil said “Actually our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.”, moving to 2.next.
Active
  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • A lot of untangling needs to go on between the 3 editors that we have. We can expect a bit of code cleanup for 2.1 but full customization has to go to 2.next as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
  • We need to finish bug 654864 soon, but none of Neil’s comments on bug 422845 triggered any response, so InvisibleSmiley feels reluctant to continue.
    • One option is to create a TB patch and get a review.

We also should take a look at the other items on 2.1-wanted
Also the nominations need triaging.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

asrail

Callek

Teasingly wonders how KaiRo managed to s/KaiRo/Callek/ on SeaMonkey roles (aka: I did lots of Project Organization and Releng this past week. comm-aurora/beta setup, buildbot setups for that, investigating RC2 issues, etc. etc. etc.)
Release Engineering fixes:

  • bug 655621 Disable Spotlight on mac[64] machines.

  • bug 657270 Update the tree-closure hook for c-c based apps for the rapid-release-train.
  • bug 659221 Add tags to comm-central, comm-aurora, and comm-beta for branch points.
  • bug 659223 Create comm-aurora, and comm-beta setups for buildbot.
  • bug 659225 Update data.sql in graphserver for new SeaMonkey rapid-release.

Waiting for Gecko 2.0 to branch before landing:

  • bug 292569 Add support for #pragma once to headers.

Working on:

  • bug 653424 need to add comm-2.0 and releases/comm-{aurora,beta} to MXR.

  • bug 660427 Update (re)packaging code to deal with extracting the installer vs just the zip.
  • bug 660745 [SeaMonkey] Install “June 2010 or newer” DirectX SDK.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 366774 – Remove unused preference bidi.characterset
  • Checkin-needed:

    • bug 112356 – No option to leave email messages on server when creating new account
  • Needs Review:
  • Working On:

    • bug 658959 – Fix DownloadManager (and tests) usage of deprecated Storage binding APIs.
  • To Do:

  • Investigating:

    • bug 39113 – Show current profile name in preferences (backed out)

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 658523 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.1 – main patch

    • bug 658523 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.1 – searchplugins patch
    • bug 658878 [SeaMonkey] comm-central busted due to bug 616999 and bug 658666/ switching xpcshell to manifests – partial-fix patch
    • bug 659205 tier_platform_dirs doesn’t include APP_LIBXUL_DIRS (mailnews/ etc) — mailnews, xpfe autocomplete etc aren’t getting built – MOZ_ENABLE_LIBXUL patch
    • bug 660501 Fix Threadpane context menu after nsContextMenu clean up
    • bug 658987 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.x (comm-central) – multiple patches
    • bug 658523 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.1 – more spelling corrections
    • bug 658523 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.1 – kB and sync fixes
    • bug 658987 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.x (comm-aurora) – multiple patches
    • bug 658987 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.x (comm-beta) – multiple patches
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js

    • bug 550484 Hardcoded widths for pref-proxies-advanced and pref-languages.add dialogs
    • bug 658060 The Preferences Popup Windows Sound setting options do not work
    • bug 659205 tier_platform_dirs doesn’t include APP_LIBXUL_DIRS (mailnews/ etc) — mailnews, xpfe autocomplete etc aren’t getting built – configure.in/config patch
    • bug 659205 tier_platform_dirs doesn’t include APP_LIBXUL_DIRS (mailnews/ etc) — mailnews, xpfe autocomplete etc aren’t getting built – BUILD_STATIC_LIBS patch
    • bug 659940 Remove MOZ_IPC checks from comm-central since IPC is always built now
    • bug 660665 Use existing string bundle rather than creating a new one for MsgOpenFromFile
  • Waiting for additional review on:
    • bug 657161 Make use of contentAreaContext in Composer
  • Waiting for a super-review on:
  • Working on:
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition

    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.

InvisibleSmiley

Did loads of stuff around 2.1 and things including:

  • Transplanting MailNews Core bugs from trunk to comm-20 as appropriate.

  • Created a 2.1 FAQ Wiki page, including a German translation.
  • bug 656719 Create 2.1 Release Notes.
  • bug 657957 Migrating a SeaMonkey 2.0 profile to 2.1 reports modern and default themes as incompatible.
  • bug 659853 Update SeaMonkey website for changes to release mirrors.

Also did some work on:

  • bug 580961 [Debug and QA UI] Installed extensions cache (extensions.sqlite) is not cleared/updated on a new installation.

  • bug 654864 Suite changes from |bug 652855 De-RDF the address book| and |bug 422845 Replace rdf-driven addressbook directory tree with js one|.
  • bug 658807 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.1 RC 2 release.
  • bug 658874 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.1 release.
  • bug 659277 Remove microsummaries support from SeaMonkey (waiting for review).

KaiRo

  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my work, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps.

  • I updated my patches (ported from SeaMonkey work) for places library cleanup and search code and sidebar cleanup, which finally landed on Nightly 7.
  • Also updated searchbar and engine manager improvements for Firefox (also ported from SeaMonkey work) and the patch to make removed-files locale-aware, hoping they get reviews and can also land soon.
  • A small patch for resizing the Data Manager (bug 632361) came along, which I promptly reviewed – thanks for the help there!
  • Helped getting bouncer ready for SeaMonkey 2.1 RC2 and final, took a look at the errors we’ve seen in the RC2 build process and filed some AMO bugs to make it ready for the release.
  • Helped a bit in investigating a problem we saw with build 1 for SeaMonkey 2.1 RC2, I hope we can sort those problems out soon (mostly with L10n repacks – bug 660427 – and updates messing up optional extensions on Windows). In addition, I gathered some more data for potential b2->final updates for languages that didn’t ship in b3 (bug 657272).
  • For the new release channels on the L10n dashboard (bug 659219), I did a small fix across central, aurora and beta so that could be set up correctly – and I reviewed the patch for getting buildbot run the new channels (bug 659223), Callek is doing good work there.
  • Once again did more L10n sign-offs for SeaMonkey 2.1, so RC2 will be able to ship with even newer and more locales than RC1 did.
  • Updated German L10n for SeaMonkey trunk strings that changed, so that any uplifts to aurora or beta can be done more easily and be localized.
  • Took part in Mozilla planning discussions.

mcsmurf

Misak

Mnyromyr

Fixed bug 614557 NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED when opening venkman.

MReimer

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 527360 If set to start up with MailNews only, then after addon-manager restart, the second and further times the Browser is opened (by Ctrl+1, Window?Browser, or the statusbar icon) it is empty.

  • bug 556124 layout/reftests/bugs/508908-1.xul reftest persistent failure since ff6b54ac276d.
  • bug 595810 Centralise notifications for ease of conversion to doorhangers.
  • bug 656886 Context menu broken in non-browser sidebars.

Working on:

  • bug 657343 Vertical misalignment of message headers which don’t have an associated link.

Filed various bugs to remove useless uses of PromiseFlat(C)String from Core:

Ratty

I dusted some patches that had been on my hard disk for some time and updated them resulting in:
Fixes:

  • bug 632361 cannot resize domain pane in Data Manager.

  • bug 659968 Simplify DOMMouseScroll event handler.
  • bug 659982 Don’t use XUL flex on html:input elements.
  • bug 660582 mTabProgressListener claims to implement nsIWebProgressListener2 so should implement onProgressChange64().

In progress:

  • bug 660581 Packaging fixes for TelemetryPing (Bug 585196) and native cursor manipulation from OOP plugins on OS X (Bug 621117).

  • bug 660618 Don’t show progress indicators when using bfcache to go to another page.
  • I wrote a patch for bug 656056 (Make the MailNews searchBar an external toolbar in the thread pane.) but ran into a toolkit bug so I filed bug 660192 ( Customize panel obscures the addons bar and prevents items from being moved on/off).

Stalled or Stymied:

  • bug 534221 Implement close (x) button on every tab (browser.tabs.closeButtons).

  • bug 652822 [TabMail] Mousewheel scroll on tab bar should change tab.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address [SeaMonkey
  • bug 420296 Holding the tabdrop indicator over a tab for a moment should open this tab to allow drag&drop of content from one tab to another tab” (Port bug 248612).

Other:

  • Assisted in bug 659088 Set up featured search engines for AMO.

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

sgautherie

  • Fixed SeaMonkey bugs:

    • bug 653765 Remove dead WINCE support from SeaMonkey

    • bug 657208 5 “Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/components/*”

stefanh

Any other business?

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-31

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-05-31


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Current Release Schedules
Thunderbird 3.3 Beta 1 Thunderbird 3.1.11
Releases/Thunderbird 3.3b1

  • Code freeze: TBD

  • L10n freeze: TBD
  • Builds start: TBD
  • QA with builds start: TBD
  • Beta period starts: TBD
  • Final release: 21 June

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Bwinton

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friends of the Tree When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Conversion Funnel (Priority 0 side project)

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
  • No progress in development.

  • Bwinton sent mockups of new provider-first design to providers.
OpenSearch
  • We’re hoping to rope squib into doing some work on it.  ;)

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations
Compose in a tab
Thunderbird Sync
Account Summary
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • EDS integration work is going full steam ahead

    • De-RDF’ing of the Address Book is starting to pay off – I’ve created a new type of address book, purely in Javascript.

    • The de-RDF’ing patch needs to be landed before July 5th if it’s going to make it to Ubuntu in time for us to make use of the EDS integration add-on.
    • Address books are showing up – need to get contacts displaying properly, and we’ll be in good shape.
  • There’s a weekly meeting with the Canonical folk on Wednesdays, 9AM EST, in #thunderbird-unity on Freenode.
  • We’ll hear back about disk space by June 2nd.

Schedule and Progress

Version number changes being discussed on tb-planning.
These numbers aren’t on AMO yet.

Miramar

Prepping first beta.
For Miramar tracking, use TB3.3 flags.

Miramar.next

We have approval-comm-aurora, but no tracking flags yet.

Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • Next release ETA June 21.

  • Bug Lists: 3.1

Extension of the week

  • Attachment Manager developed by a student from the National University of Singapore, changes the way you deal with attachment. A demo video is visible.

QA Updates

  • Worked on TB 5.0b1

Marketing Updates

  • Thunderbird ADUs: from 6.6MM to 7.0MM, ~40% of US users didn’t check email yesterday due to holiday.

  • Prep for 5.0b1
  • Continuing web site work. Got homepage designs/illustrations from Reach, getting feedback and working on other pages.

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • Working through issues with Thunderbird 5.0b1 signing/updates. Will announce build ASAP.

Web Update

  • Tracked down some intermittent kitsune bugs, merged l10n stuff

  • Still working on AMO discovery pane bug, should be done this week
  • Octopuses rule.

Documentation

  • TB 5 documentation

  • contact with Vancouver Ubuntu user group (per Roland’s suggestions)
  • get involved with Mozilla community engagement group
  • start integrating Thunderbird into Mozilla community engagement pages

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1291 new support topics – Media:23-29May2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. SuMoMo migration to Kitsune KB migration done! Check it out at support.mozillamessaging.com. All locales with significant localization have been “Thunderbird”-ized (if your locale is missing, love to have your locale! Please post to our remaining locales to be localized Kitsune forum and email rtanglao AT mozilla.com). Future improvements are being tracked in bug 645198: Q2 Kitsune improvments bug
  3. 3.1 Support Issues
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Can we get some of the FF info around release numbers, to answer some of the questions we’re getting.

Canary might be available in less than a month.

Attendees

mconley, bwinton, bienvenu, standard8, usul, gozer, jhopkins, rolandtanglao, rebron, jenzed, sancus

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-31

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-05-31


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • Latest Aurora is out to the aurora channel

  • Refreshing the build on the beta channel, should be out today
  • Working on getting a nice schedule of source migration dates that developers can subscribe to

Firefox Development

  • Backed out inline autocomplete change for aurora bug 566489

Platform

GFX

  • Cairo update landed. Please look out for rendering changes in Nightly 7.0 builds, especially on Windows.

    • Roughly 3 person-months of work (!)

    • Already known regressions:

JS

  • PGO has been turned off for JS builds on nightly and beta to see if PGO is causing JS topcrashes

    • Temporary 5-15% JS perf regressions (15% on Talos; 5% in SunSpider harness)

    • So far, it’s hard to tell if it’s having an effect on crash rate–need to adjust for ADUs
    • See also bug 605033
  • Andy Scheff starts his JS/IonMonkey internship today
  • Yarr import refresh has landed to TM (bug 625600)
    • This fixes “regular expression is too complex” errors

Layout

  • Nothing to report here. Zzzzz

Plugins

DOM

  • New DOM bindings (for node lists) getting close to landable (peterv/bz/mrbkap/andreas).

  • Event listener stuff (.onclick etc) moving from being hand coded into IDL (bz/andreas).
  • EventSource (aka server side events) landed (bug 338583)

Network

Tree Management

Stability Report

  • ADUs still pretty low on the trunk – 40K but should see that increase Mon/Tues.

  • Since the ADUs are pretty low, we don’t have many standout crashes.
  • Top browser crash list for yesterday – https://crash-analysis.mozilla.com/chofmann/20110530/top-7.0a1.html
  • Bug 648022 – Was fixed on 5.0 and backout was put on 6.0a2. Until we figure out the real fix, we will continue to see this signature on the trunk.

Roundtable

  • Friendly dev-doc-needed/user-doc-needed reminder (please use them!) [johnath]

  • Get your security-review needing things on CurtisK’s radar, visible to some at [1]
  • DXR [ehsan]

25-May-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/25-May-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel

Schedule

  • Fennec 6 (May 24)

    • Merged mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora

    • Features/bugs were triaged and updated
    • Some bugs will keep trickling into Fx6 over the next week or so
  • Fennec 5 Beta 3 (May 27)
    • Mobile and Desktop are planning a Beta 3

    • Several bugs landed in mozilla-beta (1 to go)

Major Topics for This Week

  • Fx7 is active

    • Let’s make sure we find a rhythm (or pace) for design / dev / testing to keep focused on Fx7 while cleaning up Fx6

    • Remember that we are in continuous development. Let’s make sure we finish off the features that missed Fx6 and not let them drag on too long.

Application

Front-end

  • Work for Fx6 -> We have Features, Bugs and Testing

  • Work for Fx7 -> We have Features, Bugs and Testing
    • Look at larger list of Features to add a few to the release.

UX design

  • v6

    • pushing on one or two things for v6 (error pages, few more gingerbread theme bits)

    • and some reviewing/bugfixing/refining (discoverability timing, touch border width, form autosuggest bugs)
    • pls look at Gingerbread theme and image quality
  • v7
    • turning focus to v7

    • Brian refining “Fenneccomb” designs
    • Ian starting/returning to Honeycomb theming
    • returning to awesomescreen-on-tablet work

Platform Support

Android

Maemo

Performance

Testing

QA

Test Suites

Test Automation

  • android jsreftests are online and green for m-c (and should be for m-a, will know later today)

  • mochitest-2 is orange on m-c due to signed jar issue with e10s; will comment out for android and maemo (patch is landed on tracemonkey branch atm)
  • tpan/tzoom/tp4m seem to fail frequently and it looks as though the browser is crashing sometime during the test, could use help in figuring this out.

Release Engineering

Priorities page

  • bug 659042 – Fennec 5.0b3 – waiting for go (aiui, eta friday)

  • bug 557260 – MobileBuildFactory should inherit MercurialBuildFactory
    • We need to land soon, to unblock 6.0 release work — targeting EOW.
  • bug 656371 – remove org.mozilla.fennec hardcodes from Tegra automation
    • Bear is looking at why Aurora Talos is still purple
  • Worked with IT to rescue the tegras that needed help
    • Aki showed desktop team how to image tegras

    • all tegras now on network pdus
  • (mjessome) bug 603826 – FIXED – verify android apk signature
  • bug 655046 – IN PROGRESS – android tests not run on try; logs uploaded to the wrong location
    • conflicts with bug 557260 so working for a fix that will land with that patch

    • currently |try: -a| works; specifying android-r7 does not.

Other

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-05-25


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • None!

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox 3.6.x/3.5.x/4.0.x

  • Triaging nominations for the next 3.6 update

  • Snippets for 3.5 EOL will hopefully be live in the next week or so

Firefox 5 (Desktop)

  • Firefox 5 is now in beta with >250k users

Firefox 6 (Desktop)

  • Firefox 6 just migrated from mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora

    • Updates not happening yet, still shaking things out
  • Websockets might ship with a prefix

Firefox 4.0.x (Mobile)

Firefox 5 (Mobile)

  • Launched Firefox 5 Beta 2 last week

  • Will need a Beta 3 for three important bug fixes (branching this Friday)
    • Looking to land an Android crasher that has baked on trunk for a few days

    • Planning to sim-build and sim-ship with Desktop beta 3

Firefox 6 (Mobile)

  • Migrated from mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora

  • Started the process of re-align timelines of features to Fx7

Firefox Sync

  • Pushed discoverability feature into aurora.

Add-on Builder 0.9.5

  • Freeze for last round of minor features is this Friday

  • 0.9.6 will be the beta release
    • focus on hardening and polish

    • some changes may be required for compatibility with SDK final

Add-on SDK 1.0RC1

  • freezes today

  • much work landed, a few important items outstanding
  • may be delayed a few days

Input 4.0

  • Notes:

    • We released Input 3.5 last week

    • Working with Metrics on augmenting their analysis with Input data over every channel of the rapid release process
    • Some issues around the dashboard understanding the difference in UA with the new channels process. We’re working on bettering the instrumentation and expect an update when a solution is close to being ready. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us in #input in irc.mozilla.org.

Feedback Summary

Firefox 4 feedback

  • PDFs don’t work Bug 613756, bug 642454, Bug 648511

  • Extensions (mainly IDM and error messages)
  • UI changes (Back/foward buttons, refresh buttons, status bar)
  • Saving tabs (or loss thereof) see bug 658337

Beta feedback

  • Problems with youtube usage in general

    • Unresponsive, slow

    • Not loading
    • Can’t use controls
    • Bug 659119
  • Facebook games
    • Not loading ie: poker, cityville.
  • Google docs
    • A couple of crashes when editing, intermittent – windows users only

    • Bug 659120
  • Some extension issues being reported ie: toolbars.
    • Some feedback that add-on compatibility reporter is not compatible.

    • Lots of incompatible extensions
    • Bug 659176

Press & Public Reactions

Questions and Concerns

  • Will Add-on Builder sim-ship with Add-on SDK 1.0 and Firefox 5? No, it’ll be Beta because it’s one step behind SDK but it will be quite usable. SDK is a component of the Firefox 5 launch. Builder will be there to support it in a solid Beta form.
  • Will Add-on SDK 1.0 support Mobile Firefox? No, that’s a priority for the second half of the year but SDK 1.0 is targeting Firefox 5 Desktop.

Actions this week

24-May-2011

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-05-24


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Current Release Schedules
Thunderbird 3.3 Beta 1 Thunderbird 3.1.11
Releases/Thunderbird 3.3b1

  • Code freeze: TBD

  • L10n freeze: TBD
  • Builds start: TBD
  • QA with builds start: TBD
  • Beta period starts: TBD
  • Final release: 21 June

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Ludovic

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friends of the Tree When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

I’d like to nominate Mike Kaganski for making great improvements to our Outlook import code in bug 207156.

Conversion Funnel (Priority 0 side project)

  • No new status.

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner:

  • No progress in development.

  • Had meetings with third-parties.
  • Decided to switch to a provider-first flow; need to send mockups to the providers.

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations
  • More polish for the next release: top-posting prefs, signature prefs, quoting / not quoting prefs now taken into account.

  • UI polish.
  • Gecko work to fix the crash triggered by Thunderbird conversations (with :mrbkap, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=654126).
  • Call to participation — please relay.
  • Enhanced bugzilla support in Thunderbird Conversations. Bugzilla threads will now show meaningful snippets for collapsed messages, in the style of the Bugzilla Tweaks addons. Works with any Bugzilla setup that emits the right X-Bugzilla-* headers for bugmail.
Compose in a tab
Thunderbird Sync
Account Summary
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • Meeting Canonical folk tomorrow morning (9AM EST) to discuss the fine-grain requirements for inclusion as default mail client

  • I’ve begun laying groundwork on Evolution Data Server integration for the TB address book

Schedule and Progress

Miramar
Miramar.next
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • Next release ETA TBD

  • Bug Lists: 3.1

Extension of the week

  • Follow-Up let’s you set reminders on emails so you can either reply later or ping users a while later.

QA Updates

  • Tested 3.3a/b last week no major regressions found – thanks to all the testers who participated.

    • Had some litmus hic-hups regarding coverage :(

    • Bad start – but we caught up.

Marketing Updates

  • PR Update: a few more articles re: Thunderbird and Ubuntu

  • Thunderbird ADUs: 7 to 7.1MM, over 90% on 3.x with 86% on 3.1x.
  • Website: Ongoing, in design phase/review with Reach Creative.

Infrastructure Update

  • New builders on comm-aurora.

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 3.3 beta build 1 this week

  • Canary Status :
    • Waiting on bits of information to start working on it.

    • Should be ready in a month.
    • Would have been very nice this week.

Web Update

  • sumomo updated to Kitsune 2.8.2

  • working on AMO patch and figuring out how to move momo.com to mozilla.org

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1317 new support topics – Media:16-22May2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. SuMoMo migration to Kitsune KB migration done! Check it out at support.mozillamessaging.com. All locales with significant localization have been “Thunderbird”-ized (if your locale is missing, love to have your locale! Please post to our remaining locales to be localized Kitsune forum and email rtanglao AT mozilla.com). Future improvements are being tracked in bug 645198: Q2 Kitsune improvments bug
  3. 3.1 Support Issues
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

  • GSOC student getting up to speed they will work on :

  • xpcshell.ini is a good thing for automating a few calendar tests.

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Sid0 talked about a nice extension that we’ll be featured next week :-)

Attendees

bwinton,bienvenu,rebron,Usul,fallen,gozer,jhopkins,jenzed,roland,sancus

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-05-24


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • mozilla-central → mozilla-aurora merge just completed

  • We will turn off nightly updates off of mozilla-aurora for a couple of days (bug 659258)
  • We went to the beta channel last Friday. We were throttled @ 10% until Monday, now we are unthrottled
  • Building another beta build on Friday

Firefox Development

  • about:permissions landed, though no UI exposure yet

  • Paolo Amadini has been doing amazing work on a new download manager
  • sdwilsh doing a deep investigation on bug 655930 (Chrome seems to be a 25% pageload hit on Windows) – has identified several potential culprits, still digging. Mostly platform changes, but the right people are involved.
  • Two new Web Console features landed for Firefox 6: a popup for autocompletion (which is way more pleasant to use!), and the ability to reposition the console. Mihai Sucan and David Dahl got these two nice improvements together, and Mihai made a quick video showing them off.
  • Dave Camp set up a page of devtools repositories for people interested in trying out the devtools works-in-progress (Highlighter, Style Inspector, Style Editor, Style Doctor, Debugger)
  • There is a dev-apps-firefox discussion about enhancing the venerable View Source to lead people into more sophisticated developer tools.

GFX

  • Benoit Jacob updated ANGLE today (bug 657748)

    • Please watch out for WebGL regressions!

JS

  • IonMonkey progress

    • SSA MIR builder pass works on a subset of JS.

    • Work has begun on SSA MIR->LIR lowering passes.
    • Interns Andrew Drake and Ryan Pearl are here; work has started on linear scan register allocation
  • GC could use some help on XPConnect (starting next week)

Layout

  • Nothing to share

Plugins

  • Benoit Girard working on async plugin drawing for Mac OS X, should improve security and responsiveness.

  • Accelerated NPAPI drawing for Windows proposed on plugin-futures, along with an asynchronous bitmap API.

DOM

  • Thank you Mounir for helping manage the cedar tree!

  • Tracked some talos invariances down to differences in the builds themselves, not differences in source. See bug 653961 for details and ongoing investigation.
  • Landed support for HTML5 dataset attributes!
  • WebSockets landed! May still prefix the DOM API, but the protocol support should be done.

Network

  • Reviewing pipelining improvements from Patrick McManus, hopefully we can consider using it on mobile for Firefox 7.

Tree Management

  • Joey Armstrong <joey@mozilla.com> joins the release engineering team this week. He’ll be working on improving our Makefile situation. Here’s hoping for faster, less complicated builds.

Stability Report

  • Overall, the trunk has been pretty stable – ~50K users. Crash rate yesterday was 2.8 crashes per 100 ADU. Not really this high since seeing some crashes from older builds.

  • Top crash on trunk – Bug 657292 – xpc::XrayWrapper<JSCrossCompartmentWrapper>
    • Checked into trace monkey. Need to track this for Aurora to make sure it gets landed there.
  • Many changes landed in the last couple of days. Not enough crash data yet to assess stability of the stuff that was just checked in.
  • Doing a good job of handling top crash regressions. The crashkill team needs to spend a bit more time on analysis to detect if there are certain grouped crashes that are increasing.
  • Some new features coming in new Socorro release 1.7.8. Will post a summary about that.

Roundtable

  • Deb is working out a new Feature Page format that will make it a lot easier to use the wiki for release planning and tracking. This will require that all feature pages be updated once the format is finalized, so do not be alarmed when those pages start changing (Deb will do initial updates). This should take no more than a week to complete. Blog post with more information will be posted soon.

    • On this note, if your feature does not have a complete feature page 4 working days before the merge to Aurora (aka Thursday of the week before), marketing will not be able to promote your feature. Each feature page should include a complete summary, use-case, and goals of the feature (with screenshots if applicable) and should be edited as the feature moved forward. See a good example of what a feature page should look like here.
  • Sheriff app bug 571886 (johnath)
  • Will Friday “go to build beta” also be for Fennec?

Discussion of How to Make Tests Faster

We sat around on the phone talking about different ideas to help improve the automated build/test turnaround times. We have a set of short, medium, and long range plans.

Short term

  • (joduinn/releng) Try by default will not do anything

  • (joduinn/releng) Stop running always failing tests automatically.
  • investigate bug 659222 – joduinn

Medium term

  • (releng) Test suites in progress should be available on try and selfserve even when those test suites are not being run automatically. (This is an addition to the “stop running always failing tests” above)

  • (releng) see if we can do anything to add machines before we get a new colo.

Long term

  • Experiment with moving tests into virutalization (bmoss and rsayre to get team to figure this out). ctalbert volunteers to help

    • Rsayre will help with getting engineering help for long term solution/fixing tests that proove intermittent in virtualization
  • Figure out a way to not run tests that always pass on every test run. (Ateam/Releng)

23-May-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2011-05-23


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-05-23.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

  • Gaby and Aleksej for contributing and demonstrating their eagerness to test out the mobile Firefox beta during the testday last Friday. – (Aaron)

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 23 May

Tuesday, 24 May

Wednesday, 25 May

  • Community Engagement Call, 10 a.m. PDT/17:00 UTC/19:00 CET Dial-in Info: +1.650.903.0800, followed by 92# and then 7391# You can also join us on Air Mozilla and via irc in #mozillians or #marketing. Agenda can be found here.

  • MDN Community meeting, 10 a.m. PDT/17:00 UTC/19:00 CET, in #devmo on irc.mozilla.org. Agenda/notes

Thursday, 26 May

Friday, 27 May

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox 6

  • Tuesday, May 24th (TOMORROW) is the mozilla-central → mozilla-aurora source migration

  • To make sure your fixes make the cut they need to be in the tree by 11:59 pm PDT
  • There will be blog posts and comments in #developers announcing when the merge is starting and ending so fixes can be targeted for the proper version
  • There will be a Mercurial “war room” tomorrow, as the source migration may be more complicated. Time TBD (most likely 10:00 am PDT)
  • Please note the difference between source migration and updates being offered

Firefox 5

  • Offered to the existing Firefox 4 beta audience on Friday (throttled)

    • Will unthrottle this week

Firefox 4

Mobile Firefox

Thunderbird

  • Tuesday, May 24th: Central -> Aurora merge for TB 6

  • Wednesday May 25th: L10n freeze for TB 6
  • Wednesday May 25th: start of TB 5 beta, build 1

Older Branch Work

Drumbeat

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
Your Title Here

Your Name Here

What are you going to talk about?

Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen

Link to where audience can find out more information

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution
  • Fennec

    • Shipped Fennec 5 to Beta Channel

    • Already known blockers needed to land in next beta
      • bug 655864 – Aurora: password field is not masked immediately and shows artifacts, when typing past the end of the field

      • bug 655852 – Typing past the boundaries of the textbox will start clearing the beginning characters, instead of scrolling
      • Testplan for Fennec 6 is up
      • Aurora merge scheduled for 5/24.
    • Services
      • Scheduled to deploy Python Sreg/reg server today. bug 654148
    • Sync Discovery feature is at-risk for aurora. bug 618913
      • ID, Share projects on hold for services work
WebQA
QA Community
Test Dev

Automation & Tools

  • Working on moving tests into the chrome harness in the ongoing effort to get rid of enablePrivilege

    • We need some help solving some toolkit event tests – see jmaher and bug 508710
  • Improved Performance on the War On Orange site
  • Talos with Xperf is going into staging this week
  • More notes here

Security

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Contributor Engagement

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

We have 10 new (some of them are actually not that new to Mozilla) interns joining us this week:

John Kerahalis — Dev. Engagement
Eshwaran Kumar — Research
Vitor Menezes — Platform (Layout)
Brinda Gupta — SUMO
Sully (Michael Sullivan) — Research, past JS intern (2009)
Sam Liu — Automation/Tools
Josh Cranmer — Platform (dxr project)
Rezwana Karim — Research
Paul Sawaya — Services
Ryan Pearl — Platform (JS)
Ian Melven — Product Security

Total number of interns so far: 31. We’re still 24 interns short to complete the program!

Joey Armstrong – Snr Release Engineer (not an intern!) 1797 makefiles and where does the time go when you build?

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

18-May-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/18-May-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel

Schedule

  • Fennec 5 Beta (May 17)

    • Merge happened yesterday

    • Builds are available
    • Android package ID is org.mozilla.firefox_beta so the beta can be installed side-by-side with other channels
  • Fennec 6 (May 24)
    • Merging mozilla-central to mozilla-aurora

    • Branding for Aurora has landed on mozilla-central and will get pushed over to mozilla-aurora when we merge
    • Android package ID is org.mozilla.fennec_aurora so aurora can be installed side-by-side with other channels
    • We need to re-evaluate the feature list. Most Fx6 features will end up pushed to Fx7.

Major Topics for This Week

Application

Front-end

  • Work for FF6 -> We have Features, Bugs and Testing

  • Landed:
    • Touch events

    • Session Store Enhancements – save the state sooner
    • Anti-malware/phishing – defaulted off until the back end uses smaller files
    • Better browser feature discoverability
    • Visual refresh – backend code landed
    • CSS themes for different Android versions – core landed
    • Tablet UI – core changes for browser tool panels landed
  • In-Progress:
    • Language selection – patches are close to landing

    • Session Store Enhancements – patch started for history and scroll position
    • Mobilize text – viewport designs in-progress
  • Ready to Start
    • Better integration for form assistant on Android
  • At Risk
    • Disk cache

    • Anti-malware/phishing – backend
    • Android text selection handles – stalled
    • Tablet UI – actionbar/sidebar design and coding have started
    • Visual refresh – css and image changes are in progress
    • Others?
  • Bug triage has been ongoing – check your assignments!

UX design

Platform Support

Android

  • work progressing on plugin support

  • Cache compression patch shows a slight perf improvement
  • bug 624163 Rich text editor (i.e. google docs and etherpad) has a patch and needs review from dougt
  • Alex is working on the hidden master password to be stored by Android Account Manager

Maemo

Performance

  • bug 617115 – We have patches to build with NDK5. Preliminary tests show it gives a nice speedup (10-25% depending on benchmark), but there are conflicting reports as well.

Testing

QA

Test Suites

Test Automation

Release Engineering

Priorities page

  • bug 657534 – Fennec 5.0b2 – unsigned builds available

  • bug 557260 – MobileBuildFactory should inherit MercurialBuildFactory
    • Patches pending review.

    • We need to land soon, to unblock 6.0 release work.
    • Timing would be best either in the 2nd half of this week (before m-c -> m-aurora) or after the m-c -> m-aurora merge calms down.
  • bug 656371 – remove org.mozilla.fennec hardcodes from Tegra automation
    • Ready to land

Other

Cristian Nicolae:

  • Clear button is clearing only the history list (and I think also Cache from Android). Fennec Data is not affected at all. Taping on Clear Data button from Android means:

    • creating a new profile, if the app is running from phone memory

    • no results, if the app is running from SD Card (in this case user is unable to do anything about it, only to erase manually the data stored from SD Card)
  • User should be able to:
    • Clear any kind of data he/she wants (cache, history, cookies, form data) and not all of them (as it is now)
  • I think that increasing app’s size and keep it going in this way will decrease its rating. Android phones still doesn’t have enough memory (as it’s happening for Apple phones). What do you think about this?

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-05-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-05-18


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Cheng to coordinate with product marketing and UX to determine what, if any, response we should have to the problems of 4.0 users being confused about session restore changes.

    • Short term: Add a box/text to the firstrun/post-startup page telling users about the new session restore behavior.

    • Longer term: Make Firefox smarter and automatically turn on session restore in situations when you’re likely to need it.

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox 3.6.x/3.5.x/4.0.x

Firefox 5 (Desktop)

  • Firefox 5 going to beta this week

    • First time to use same changeset for both desktop and mobile releases!

Firefox 6 (Desktop)

  • Going from nightly to aurora next week

  • Per bsmedberg, compatibility checks for binary XPCOM components will be enforced for every release moving forward. any add-on that uses binary components will need to recompile and re-package to maintain compatibility

Fennec 4.0.x

Firefox 5 (Mobile)

  • Fennec 5 going to beta this week

    • First time to use same changeset for both desktop and mobile releases!
  • Beta builds are wrapping up
  • QA to start soon
  • Missed the version bump, so we’ll need to land it later

Firefox 6 (Mobile)

  • Many tasks are in progress, but won’t make Fx6 aurora merge

  • We are working on how we can balance the work better

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder 0.9.2

Add-on SDK 1.0RC1

  • On track to release first 1.0RC Next Wednesday

  • On track to complete work for 1.0 by early June
  • Will hold in RC and release in conjunction with Firefox 5

Input 3.5

Note: We’re about to start rocking it over the next couple of months (i.e. Input 4.x). The stage is being set up.

Feedback Summary

Firefox 4.0.1 Feedback

  • Sync not working [1] [2]

  • Printing [3]
  • Can’t open PDFs [4]
    • might be: bug 613756 or bug 642454 or bug 648511
  • Yahoo (can’t attach files to mail) [5] — can we do outreach?
  • Mouse scrolling issues (may be related to having a PDF open/open in background) [6]
    • might be: bug 613756 or bug 642454

Aurora Feedback

  • Windows Media Player not compatible [7]

  • Extension compatibility (on the plus side, people say it’s more responsive/faster startup)
  • Channel Switcher [8][9]
    • Looks like a number of people are experiencing: [10]
  • Youtube buffering issues. [11] or maybe laggy/slow [12]
  • Netflix streaming doesn’t work [13]
  • Flash game loading issues/slow. [15]
  • Yahoo Toolbar doesn’t work with Firefox 6.
  • apple.com site slider/carosel is broken (regression) bug 657469

Press & Public Reactions

Questions and Concerns

Actions this week

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress