Meeting Notes

29-June-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-06-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/29-Jun-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel

Schedule

  • Fennec 7 (nightly)

    • This is the active development trunk
  • Fennec 6 (aurora)
    • Going to beta soon
  • We have less than 2 week before the crank is turned
    • 2011-07-05: Firefox 8 -> mozilla-central; Firefox 7 -> mozilla-aurora; Firefox 6 -> mozilla-beta

Major Topics for This Week

Application

Front-end

  • Work for Fx7 -> We have Features, Bugs and Testing

    • Tablet UI – patches ready for review, but needs visual design and polish. Targeting Fx8.

    • Text selection (copying from web pages) landed.
    • Language picker on startup landed; followup bugs filed and fixed.
    • Basic webapp support [Patches getting closer to landing] bug 583750

UX design

Platform Support

Android

Maemo

Performance

Testing

QA

Test Suites

Test Automation

Release Engineering

Priorities page

Other

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-06-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-06-29


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Dave M to report on early Addon SDK uptake stats DONE

    • We are having issues with Web Trends, no stats on the Add-on SDK downloads

    • BUT – We have info from Add-on Builder

Since last Tues:

1259 new registrations
2150 new packages
78 of which are libraries, the rest add-ons
  • Christian to report on 3.6 EOL meeting outcome DONE (cancelled)

  • Johnathan to ping web dev about selenium bustage in FF5. DONE
    • From Dave Hunt in email:
      Selenium 2.0rc3 was released earlier this week with support for Firefox 5. Selenium IDE (a Firefox addon) does not officially support Firefox 5, however this is currently being tested and should be released in the near future.

    • and then from David Burns:
      I added Selenium support for Selenium 1 API and Selenium 2 support before Firefox 5 was released. Since I am a core committer on the Selenium project I find it is my responsibility to make sure that it works with each release of Firefox. I advertised the support on Monday with http://twitter.com/AutomatedTester/statuses/82874102699929600 for the python bindings and Firefox 5. … I will continue to make sure it works with each version.

  • catlee/joduinn to report back on discussions around shuttering 3.5 automation

    • Some questions, no objections

    • Planning to shut off automation Thursday June 30th

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 4.0, 5)

  • Cancelled the 3.6 EOL discussion

  • To be clear, we are going to ship a Firefox 3.6.19 update at the same time as Firefox 6

Beta (5)

  • A second dormant week for beta. This one time, there’s no Beta going to final on migration day because that happened two weeks ago with the launch of Firefox 5.

Aurora (6)

  • Taking a few late breaking and potentially scary changes including a deeply concerning Mac change to move from ATS font APIs to CGFont/CTFont which is necessary to avoid horrible crashes when Mac OS 10.7 ships (July sometime.) We need lots of help testing Mac Firefox 6 to have confidence in shipping this change. Aurora migrates up to Beta next Tuesday

Nightly (7)

  • mozilla-central has already seen over 4,000 changesets this cycle for approximately 2,100 bugfixes and features. Migrates up to Aurora next Tuesday at around 10am PT. If you want your feature or fix to have a good shot at Firefox 7, you want to get those changes in before then.

  • over 500 changesets in the last week resulting in over 300 fixes and features including:
    • bug 312156 — “implement text-overflow: ellipsis from CSS3 text” (landed just before last week’s meeting but I didn’t get it into the notes)

    • bug 570341 — “Initial implementation of web timing specification.”
    • bug 651858 — “[Azure] Implement Direct2D Azure Backend” landed with canvas using it. Big wins on canvas benchmarks.”
    • bug 661388 — “Support selecting text in web content” Text selection in Mobile!”
    • bug 652657 — “Provide opt-in UI for Telemetry” Telemetry is now “on” in nightly builds because you can now opt in to data collection.”
    • bug 665580 — “Hide http:// and single trailing slashes in the location bar”
    • bug 543463 — “Make it easier for non-Mozilla devs to get and use the JavaScript Shell”
    • bug 666431 — “Add an API to get the list of add-on changes that happened during startup”
    • bug 666437 — “Allow extensions installed from certain locations to be disabled by default ”
    • bug 663871 — “Websockets Protocol IETF 08″ Hopefully the protocol that takes over the Web!!”
    • bug 664486 — “Add page fault count to about:memory on Linux and Mac”

Firefox Mobile

5

Firefox 5 launched last week (sim-ship with desktop)

6

Currently in AURORA, ready to move to BETA on July 5 (see Release Schedule). This will update Beta in Android Market, bridging the current gap (official release is newer than the current Firefox 5 Beta)

New features in 6:

  • Better first-run experience – guide showing Browser Tools and features, faster start using less memory

  • Higher-quality image scaling (on devices with NEON-compatible processors).[When zoomed in our out, less pixelation, crisper display of logos, etc.]
  • Improvements for large-screen tablets [Optimizing Firefox for larger tablet devices, e.g. by adjusting UI elements, buttons, font size. (Phase 1)]
  • Improved Form Helper [Form helper is less obtrusive on Android now]
  • Theme changes for phones running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) [Now refreshed to look even more beautiful on Gingerbread OS.]
  • Fixed bugs: Optimized rendering of pages that use RTL layout (languages like Arabic, Hebrew) [Universal access]
  • Touch Events (part 1 – single touch only). [Expose touch events to content for better interaction with web pages and services, and compatibility with WebKit/Opera and existing web content.]
  • IndexedDB database storage for web pages. [Pick up where you left off (e.g after crash or when terminated in the background (adding session history. Currently only saves last URL), better performance and memory management]
  • Automatic text hyphenation with the -moz-hyphens CSS property (bug 253317).

7

currently in NIGHTLY channel; moves to AURORA on July 5, 2011 (see Release Schedule)

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder

  • We have a new release going out at 2PM PST today.

  • Our focus will remain tuning, maturation, and performance enhancement of our current features. I am projecting that we will be doing releases with these goals at their core for the next 4-6 weeks.
  • We will be socializing a few options for elevating well-built user libraries on the Builder. This is important for the long-term success of the platform as we expect the community to generate a large share of libraries.

Add-on SDK 1.0

  • We are having some issues with Web Trends and don’t know SDK download stats

  • Work begun on post-1.0
  • Jetpack/Flightdeck work week in 2 weeks
  • New feature pages and roadmap update in the works
  • Development process/release plan still available for comments!

Input 4.2

  • ETA is today!

  • ElasticSearch is integrated on Staging and the Metrics team has a cluster set up for it. We’re set up on production too!
  • Grouperfish is up and running and mostly integrated with Input on a development server; but it won’t make it for 4.2. We’re expecting it to land for 4.3 in 2 weeks.
  • Daily automated metrics reports are being sent to feedback-collectors@mozilla.com and being iterated upon as well.

Other side notes:

  • Starting up requirements setting for automating bug creation due to jumps in feedback in Input

  • Working on an simple experimental add-on that allows users to send feedback for add-ons authors

Feedback Summary

Firefox 5.0:

  • Extensions, extensions, extensions. Top extensions are: Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar and antivirus and internet download manager.

  • Loss of passwords/bookmarks likely caused by extensions not working (?)
  • PDFs don’t show (possibly related to extensions)
  • Complaints about the more frequent updates
  • Slowness/non responsiveness when loading pages
  • Memory usage
  • Missing search box (may be related to toolbar extensions)
  • Youtube doesn’t work (looks like it’s related to HTML5 video?)
  • AppTabs don’t save
  • Other sites:
    • mail.tiscali.it

    • Westlaw
    • http://www.sympatico.ca/default.aspx (links only work in new tabs)
    • Bunches of enterprise web portals
    • Quickbooks online
    • Apple.com
    • Submit feedback button doesn’t work on input(?)

Firefox 3.6/4.0:

  • Still some reports of Firefox bustage in Hotmail, working with team at MS.

Press & Public Reactions

Questions, Comments and Highlights

  • Dropping support for 3.6 is a big thing for SUMO. We’ll need weeks to prepare and localize articles so please keep that in mind when deciding when to decide about 3.6 EOL.

  • Asa asked about the names Jetpack and Flightdeck and SDK and Builder. Answer was that Jetpack and Flightdeck are team names (and sometimes proJECT names) while SDK and Builder are proDUCT names.
  • How to get on feedback-collectors@mozilla.com? File an IT bug or mail (Aakash)
  • Discussion in dev.platform (and yesterday’s platform meeting) about possible dropping support for Win2000. bug 563318 (joduinn) “Migrating to Visual Studio 2010″ is the name of the thread.

Actions this week

28-June-2011

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2011-06-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2011-06-28


« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • Please note A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • IanN to triage the 2.1-wanted and 2.1-nominated bugs, and move any that are appropriate to 2.2.

CLOSED

  • IanN to look at what needs to go into comm-aurora and comm-beta from comm-central. Due to string changes we have to be selective in which changesets to go into the merge [Done].

K.I.V.

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. We can still only wait on the Google front right now. Didn’t hear anything about open Geolocation service yet. No easy solution in sight.

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey will directly go the the permanent repositories, i.e. -aurora, -beta in addition to -central. Miramar is a Thunderbird-only release branch (as is comm-2.0 for SeaMonkey).

  • For comm-aurora, we can let a few more things slip in, but we also should regard strings there as much frozen as possible. In the future, string freeze is the uplift from central to aurora, which matches Firefox.
  • If we have any actual fixes that don’t need L10n changes (not enhancements) on central but not beta, they should go there if possible.
  • SeaMonkey comm-aurora and comm-beta are buildable and tinderbox has run tests against them.
  • Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).
  • The correct version numbers are now on the release train.
  • We’ll probably need an update on the AUS server to support aurora nightlies correctly.
  • We’ll need to ensure that we set the correct channel for aurora nightlies. Leaving this to Callek.

    • AUS is fine. It’s the buildbot stuff and Callek needs to deal with it.
  • We have released 2.2b1.
    • As FF shipped 5.0, we should be concentrating on getting a 2.2 out the door, especially as it has some fixes for issues in 2.1.
  • 5th July is next the merge date for both mozilla and comm repositories.
    • 2.3 should go into beta then and then we’ll have 6 weeks to release.
  • Bug authors have been doing a fairly good job of requesting relevant approvals for the comm-aurora/beta.

SeaMonkey 2.1

open blockers (0)
blocker requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (64)

  • AUS updates from (2.0 -> 2.1) are TBA (Callek?) Status/update?

  • Callek fixed bug 663636 (Missing addons, directory distribution/extensions is not there) for 2.2.
Follow-ups
  • Fallen has just set Lightning 1.0b4 on AMO to be 2.2.* compatible.

  • AMO has a compatible version of Engimail now, and an experimental one for Lightning. Unfortunately these two Calendar extensions must be sought under Thunderbird and “All versions”.
  • Besides Lightning, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.1.
    • InvisibleSmiley maintained a list, created a wiki page and posted a newsgroup message regarding this. Done.

    • There is a version of Autofill Forms that is compatible with SeaMonkey 2.1 on code.google.com. Ratty has pinged one of the authors and asked him to upload a SeaMonkey compatible version to AMO, but still hasn’t gotten a reply yet.
    • Useful query: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/extensions/?sort=popular
  • InvisibleSmiley created a 2.1 FAQ Wiki page. Several people helped updating it.
  • KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.

SeaMonkey 2.2

open tracking (5)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (1)
fixed (34)

We should release as soon as we can after FF5.

Further 2.x scheduling:

  • Current release notes are for 2.2b1. Once we have 2.2b2 or later, relnotes need to be updated, esp. for bug 666518 (Stop making extensions optional in SeaMonkey’s installer).

    • 2.2bX and 2.2 share release notes, so the existing ones should be updated.

    • We already have the Firefox 4 -> Firefox 5 related changes. InvisibleSmiley hasn’t yet had time to incorporate Thunderbird 5 changes that landed since SeaMonkey 2.1.
    • We have a bug on 2.2 Release Notes (bug 665682) and anything that’s missing should go there.
  • Please help updating the New 2.2 Features page as we go.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 86 new, 35 fixed, 33 triaged.

Open reviews/flags:
40 review
14 super-review
0 ui-review
8 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

Active

  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • A lot of untangling needs to go on between the 3 editors that we have. We can expect a bit of code cleanup for 2.1 but full customization has to go to 2.next as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
  • We need to finish bug 654864 soon, but none of Neil’s comments on bug 422845 triggered any response, so InvisibleSmiley feels reluctant to continue. Still he uploaded yet another version.
    • IanN filed and fixed a Thunderbird bug (bug 663631 Simplify getParentIndex in folderPane.js and jsTreeView.js) to help move things forward.

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].

    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object.
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 2.0) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze is currently busy with his new job so doesn’t have any to spend on this.

    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

asrail

Callek

Released:

  • SeaMonkey 2.2 Beta 1.

Fixed:

  • bug 660427 Update (re)packaging code to deal with extracting the installer vs just the zip (WONTFIX except for SeaMonkey 2.1).

  • bug 663636 Missing addons, directory distribution/extensions is not there.
  • bug 657065 Batch of updates for SeaMonkey Keywords/Flags/etc.
  • bug 666518 Stop making extensions optional in SeaMonkey’s installer.

Working on:

  • bug 653424 need to add comm-2.0 and releases/comm-{aurora,beta} to MXR.

Investigating:

  • bug 660745 [SeaMonkey] Install “June 2010 or newer” DirectX SDK.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 112356 – No option to leave email messages on server when creating new account

    • bug 582715 – Five message views, not four, and more can be created
    • bug 638816 – Update Help for FAYT changes
    • bug 654680 – Remove useless section on Cookie notification in the Status bar.
    • bug 657126 – Add Leave Messages on Server help
    • bug 663660 – Misleading notice in Edit → Preferences → Appearance → UI Language
  • Checkin-needed:

    • bug 366774 – Remove unused preference bidi.characterset

    • bug 621042 – Advanced Account Settings should mention account name
  • Needs Review:
  • Working On:

    • bug 78357 – Account wizard doesn’t have place to enter port info (not assigned)

    • bug 633935 – Port |Bug 237376 – Put ‘reply to newsgroup’ on top| to SeaMonkey
  • Investigating:

    • bug 39113 – Show current profile name in preferences (backed out)

    • bug 512378 – Port |Bug 506985 – remove java-specific preferences from Firefox UI, hidden prefs| to SeaMonkey 2.1
    • bug 527173 – Spellchecker settings are in the Mail section but the SP is used by all components

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 664348 Switch suite/mailnews to use Services.wm

    • bug 664612 Switch suite/mailnews to use Services.scriptloader
    • bug 664740 Create helper function for getting nsILocalFile complexValue prefs
    • bug 664834 Switch suite/mailnews to use Services.io
    • bug 664839 Switch suite/mailnews to use new GetLocalizedPrefString helper
    • bug 664841 Switch suite/mailnews to use Services.obs
    • bug 665294 Switch suite to use Services.dirsvc
    • bug 665291 Switch suite to use new cookies, logins and eTLD services in Services.jsm
    • bug 663631 [TB]Simplify getParentIndex in folderPane.js and jsTreeView.js
    • bug 663193 [TB]Cannot attach non-file attachments from command line
    • bug 657214 The Composer status bar doesn’t display the correct status
    • bug 665806 Remove some stringbundle duplication in preferences
    • bug 665565 Make fuller use of GetStringPref in suite
    • bug 667289 Switch suite to use Services.storage
    • bug 667674 Switch suite to use Services.obs
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js

    • bug 662203 Enhance openLocation so that it can be used by message compose
    • bug 665569 Add GetFileFromString helper for getting File from native path or Url
    • bug 667643 Switch suite to use Services.wm
  • Waiting for additional review on:
    • bug 657161 Make use of contentAreaContext in Composer

    • bug 665290 Switch suite/mailnews to use Services.urlFormatter
  • Working on:
    • bug 550484 Hardcoded widths for pref-proxies-advanced and pref-languages.add dialogs

    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • bug 667662 Switch suite to use Services.io
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.

InvisibleSmiley

KaiRo

mcsmurf

Misak

Mnyromyr

MReimer

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 664125 Offline error page only appears for caching channels.

  • bug 665313 Opening message attachment does not work.

Working on:

  • bug 160144 Replace POSTDATA dialog with better UI (post form resubmit warning).

  • bug 664105 TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | test_URIs.js | false == true for Thunderbird when running mailto: test.
  • bug 664695 Improve signature of nsIConsoleService::GetMessageArray.

Ratty

Fixes:

  • bug 665276 Remove nsISHistory_2_0_BRANCH from /suite/common/src/nsSessionStore.js. This also fixes bug 667160 (Restore Previous Session fails).

  • bug 666522 Add telemetry.xpt to the packaging manifest (added to mozilla-central by bug 661574).
  • bug 666555 Add mozapps/skin/plugins/pluginHelp-16.png to Modern (missed out from bug 601562).

In progress:

  • bug 663343 The “List all Tabs” menu should visually identify which tabs are on-screen (rather than scrolled off).

  • bug 667201 Front end changes for bug 545070: plugin-problem UI shouldn’t say “click here”.

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

sgautherie

stefanh

Any other business?

  • Meeting Note takers.

    • Ratty is getting rather tired of always doing the meeting notes and hopes that other people would help out occasionally.

    • Ratty to send an email to SeaMonkey-members list summarizing what needs doing and asking for people to share duties.
  • We should find a better way of getting nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • We could put out a call for nominations the week before then, at the time of the meeting notice going out we could include any nominations (We need to come up with a quick FAQ as to what merits a nomination).

    • We can give that a go for a couple of meetings. Any other suggestions are welcome.
    • IanN to send an email out on the SeaMonkey-members list on this.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-06-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-06-28


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Current Release Schedules
Thunderbird 5.0 Final Beta Thunderbird 3.1.11
ETA: this week

  • Builds start: 13 June

  • QA with builds start: 14 June
  • Beta period starts: 14/15 June
  • Final release: 21 June

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Roland

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree, Archaeopteryx, for timely Lightning reviews

When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Conversion Funnel (Priority 0 side project)

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner

No change since last week.

  • contracts w/3rd party email providers progressing

  • security reviews
OpenSearch

Most bugs resolved; still working on a new UI for setting the default search engine.

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations

Final polish, locale fixes, 2.0 is released, I’ll blog about it when 5.0 is announced. A few bugs on the Thunderbird side are about to land, need some action on my side ([Bug 662792] Thunderbird (too) aggressively marks messages as read after display, [Bug 611458] Add Ability to Print Summary of Collapsed Threads in Message Pane). These will improve the interaction between Conversations and Thunderbird. Please do report any issue you see on the GitHub bugtracker!

Compose in a tab

Thread on tb-planning summing up the issues, gathering various opinions and feedback. I’ll probably try to bundle compose in a tab + another editor see if the integration goes better.

Account Summary
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • De-RDFing patch is still going through the final stages of review – need to merge it soon!

  • Our first status checkpoint with Canonical is this Thursday, June 30th. EDS contact integration is on track.
  • Lightning integration was discussed last week with Fallen and Chris Coulson. Chris will be developing an EDS Provider for Lightning soon.
  • Messaging Menu and Unity Launcher extensions are now bundled with TB 5.0 in Ubuntu Oneiric!

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 5 (Miramar)
  • Released

  • Miramar nightlies have been stopped.
  • Looking at redirecting the Miramar nightly users to the Earlybird channel so that they end up somewhere.
Thunderbird 6
  • Earlybird is the name for the Thunderbird builds on the Aurora channel

  • Merge date to beta channel – 5th July next week.
  • Standard8 will be looking at bugs and issues for TB 6/7 this week.
Thunderbird 7
  • Currently on comm-central.

  • Merge date – feature & string freeze – 5th July.
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • Released 3.1.11 last week.

  • Firefox have scheduled the next 1.9.2 release for August 16th.
  • Bug Lists: 3.1

Extension of the week

  • Mail summaries Give you nice stats on your accounts :

    •  % of replies versus sent

    • disk occupation

QA Updates

  • Worked on 5.0

Marketing Updates

  • Thunderbird 5, today

    • Web site, now on mozilla.org/thunderbird

    • press outreach

Infrastructure Update

  • Backed out: bug 656049 c-c:0f79491664e9 client.mk can now invoke client.py for comm-central builds via .mozconfig: Waiting on a better implementation, caused some confusion to developers with spurious error messages
  • More Mac Minis will be coming to the mac pools

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 5.0 final released

  • automatic blocklist updates should land this week

Web Update

  • webpage is moved and functioning on mozilla.org stage. The homepage and in-product pages are done, other parts that don’t need l10n will be done by the end of this week.
* http://www-stage.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
* http://www-stage.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/5.0/start
* http://www-stage.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/5.0/whatsnew
  • localization is in progress

  • met with moco webdev/engagement to discuss bedrock, the Django rewrite of mozilla.com/org
  • Fixed AMO bug to add Thunderbird collection for the discovery pane

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1675 new support topics (1312 last week) – Media:20-26June2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. Thunderbird 5 Support Issues – nothing found in beta
  3. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details
  4. Sometime late on June 22, 2011, the Yahoo mail POP Server was updated and SSL stopped working for all Email clients including Thunderbird 3.1.11, Apple Mail.app and Outlook. Yahoo rolled back to their old server on Friday June 25, 2011 thanks to Yahoo support [bug 667057,Get Satisfaction Yahoo POP outage due to upgrade June 22, 2011 ]

Lightning Updates

Release 1.0b4

  • Release is on AMO, release notes and blog post will follow this evening

  • Slight issues with AMO policies (mostly, communication and short notice)
  • At least one known issue, we need better QA, be it automated or not.

Planning 1.0b5

  • Focus on infrastructure and fixing any urgent regression from 1.0b4

    • We need unit and mozmill tests to work!

    • If build automation would be producing releases faster, we might be able to do releases more often.
  • Get Summer of Code Projects into the tree

  • Further planning TBD.

Summer of Code

  • Lenni is now concentrating on the UI part of his project instead so we can easier integrate with EDS later on.

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

  • sid0: MozMill upgrade to 1.5.4.

    • Either (a) check patch into all trees (risky) or (b) check MozMill into comm-central.

    • Semi-working patch for option (b).

Attendees

rolandtanglao, standard8 aka Mark Banner, sancus, gozer,jenzed, fallen aka Philipp Kewisch, mconley, sid0, bwinton, jb, bienvenu, ludo, jhopkins, sancus, rebron

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-06-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-06-28


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Q3 Goals

  • Realize Android as a top-tier supported platform alongside Windows, Mac, and Linux.

  • Implement priortized list of features required to support Web Apps (Joint with Product and Apps teams).
  • Ship a new developer tool prototype in a release.

Notices / Schedule

  • Firefox 5 looks great, thanks everyone for your hard work!

  • Next mozilla-central → mozilla-aurora source migration is on 2011-07-05 (1 week!)
  • We’ll have a rapid-release process postmortem this Thursday, 2011-06-30 from 10:00 am PDT – 12:00 noon PDT. Details will be sent to dev-planning today

Firefox Development

GFX

JS

  • We got a break on an EnterMethodJIT crash!

    • Users had been reporting crashes on Yahoo Mail Beta (bug 655660) and others.

    • David Anderson was able to reproduce the crash and fix it.
    • The bug was a too-small bitfield holding patch locations for ICs that could grow very large.
    • This bug might be a good fraction of the EnterMethodJIT crashes we get.
  • We’re starting work on GC topcrashes

    • Bill McCloskey is finishing a new Breakpad feature to snapshot stack traces at desired points (e.g., when GC runs) and put them in minidumps: bug 662646.

    • Figuring out these crashes will take a while–we’ll need to experiment with different measurements and analyze data over time.

Layout

  • text-overflow landed! Includes text-overflow:ellipsis and text-overflow:<string> and text-overflow:<left> <right>! Handles all sorts of edge cases other browsers don’t reach! (bug 312156)

  • Looks like Jonathan Kew got a 6% Tp win on MacOS 10.6 using some new font APIs
  • Zzzzz

Plugins

DOM

  • DOM memory reporting starting to shape up, bug 663271 (Mounir)

Network

Accessibility

Multi-Process

  • Initial landing of ifdefs almost complete.

  • Initial dynamic analysis of chrome-content interactions up for review.
  • Bugs for multiple content processes posted, see bug 641683 for details.

Tree Management

  • disable tp4 (except for older release branches)

    • tp5 catches the same regressions and has been running side-by-side it for almost two weeks on all branches

    • this was announced last week on this meeting and through mailing lists
    • everything is ready to disable it on this Thursday
    • please read more about it on this blog post

Stability Report

Roundtable

  • Telemetry is on, start adding probes: https://blog.mozilla.org/tglek/2011/06/22/developers-how-to-submit-telemetry-data/

    • It’s easy! It can take as little as 10 minutes!

    • If you’re not sure whether a new probe would introduce privacy problems, ask Asa (who will check with legal & privacy teams).
  • MSVC 2010 Migration: http://blog.kylehuey.com/post/7015378885/migrating-to-msvc-2010 – followup to .platform
    • Means dropping support for Win2000 and WinXP-before-SP2
  • Aurora is next week, time for features-of-note! Please mail blizzard@mozilla.com if you have new developer or platform features, new developer tools or performance improvements of platform changes worth noting in our public communications or records.
  • WebGL Security Discussion

27-June-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-06-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2011-06-27


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-06-27.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

  • Two Dev Derby contributors who have stood out for their enthusiasm, creativity, and dedication.

    • Stu Nicholls, who in less than two weeks has already submitted four awesome demos that are sure to push the web forward and be useful to web developers everywhere.

    • Anthony Calzadilla, who submitted the awesome Rofox demo which quickly amassed hundreds of views and helped generate lots of interest in Firefox 5.

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 27 June

Tuesday, 28 June

Wednesday, 29 June

Community Marketing Call: 10 a.m. PDT/17:00 UTC/19:00 CET. In-progress agenda and dial-in info here.

Thursday, 30 June

  • [BrownBag] Understand your users and good ideas will follow – What is User Research & how we can help you. (Noon @TenForward)

Friday, 1 July

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Future (5, 6, 7)

  • Firefox 5 released last week, and now being served as an update for all 4.0 users

    • 30MM users already
  • Next week, the next trains start rolling. That means:
    • Beta will pick up Firefox 6

    • Aurora will pick up Firefox 7
    • Nightly will start being Firefox 8

Firefox Current (3.5, 3.6, 4.0)

  • There will be a Firefox 3.6.19, shipping at the same time as Firefox 6

  • Firefox 3.5 is EOL, and won’t appear in subsequent updates
    • Come to think of it, so is Firefox 4

Mobile Firefox

  • Firefox 5 is out, getting good reviews/uptake

  • Ready for Aurora to beta merge

Thunderbird

  • Thunderbird 5.0 out tomorrow!

    • Please update your add-ons.
  • Beta will pick up Thunderbird 6.0 and Earlybird will pick up Thunderbird 7.0 next week.

Drumbeat

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
Head of College Recruiting

Julie Deroche

WSOH

http://htmlpad.org/wsoh/#

http://wsoh.eventbrite.com
Patrick, Jinghua and Gilbert

Market insights, User Research, Metrics, and how we can help you.

[1]

Tour Guide

David Boswell

Community infographic and numbers

Infographic

Please add to the Community Numbers Etherpad
Director, Web Development

Mike Morgan (morgamic)

From Portland with Love – highlights/notes from the webdev offsite

photos

about OS Bridge
John O’Duinn (joduinn)

Firefox 3.5 EOL

bug#666407

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Desktop Firefox
  • Fx5, tested and released, including major and minor updates to Fx5

    • 3.6, 4.0 -> 5.0
Browser Technologies
  • Shipped Firefox 5 for Mobile

  • Mobile Testday last friday. Bugs found
  • Test signoff of Python Sync server testing. Bugs found: bug 667060,bug 667074
  • Test pilot 1.2pre8 in testing
WebQA
QA Community
Test Automation
  • Investigation and fix for broken Mozmill 1.5.3b3 beta release; Released Mozmill 1.5.4b4

Automation & Tools

Security

Engagement

Communications

Contributor Engagement

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

  • Priya Patel – Recruiting – Lead for Mobile and Engineering

  • Jason Haas – Contributor Engagement – Student Reps
  • Robert Nyman – Developer Engagement
  • Malini Das – Automation & Tools

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

22-June-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-06-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/22-Jun-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel

Schedule

  • Fennec 7 (nightly)

    • This is the active development trunk
  • Fennec 6 (aurora)
    • The door is closing for new patches
  • We have less than 2 weeks before the crank is turned
    • 2011-07-05: Firefox 8 -> mozilla-central; Firefox 7 -> mozilla-aurora; Firefox 6 -> mozilla-beta

Major Topics for This Week

Application

Front-end

  • Work for Fx7 -> We have Features, Bugs and Testing

  • Cranking on new code:
    • Tablet UI [At risk for Fx6]

    • Selecting text in web content [Needs more eyes to find a scaling issue]
    • Language picker on startup [Landed and needs some feedback]
    • Basic webapp support [Patches close to landing] bug 583750
    • Yes, we added ‘Quit’ to the Android menu
  • Look into using doorhangers in Fennec bug 661148

    • Talked with Madhava about where to move next. Moving forward at the same time mockups/ux discussion happen. [Stalled; Need to un-stall]
  • Know your ABCs (Always Be Coding)

    • If you get stuck on something, have a backup project to fallback.

    • Keep patches and reviews moving forward.

UX design

Platform Support

Android

  • Minor painting regressions (when putting Fennec in the background, you may see a black screen) is known. Patch to fix this is pending review.

  • “official” builds are no longer have debugable set to true in the android manifest
    • That means you can no longer read anything in the profile
  • run-as bug: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=16391
    • If you have a device, and it comes preloaded with a lot of software, you will may not be able to debug fennec

Maemo

Performance

Testing

QA

  • Mobile Testday (Fri, June 24th)

  • Firefox mobile test plans
    • mobile 6

    • mobile 7
      • Need clarity on what is in mobile 6

      • Working on test plans for mobile 6 beta releases
  • Crash Report
    • Crash Reports for Tablets/Honeycomb increasing

    • Reopened bug 615993 – Fennec crash [@ js::mjit::JaegerShot ]
    • Top Crashers:
      • N900: bug 609166 – Crash [@ libc-2.5.so@0x2a548 ] on Linux 2.6.28

      • Android bug 613954 – OOM crash [@ libc.so@0x11c80 ]…

Test Suites

Test Automation

Release Engineering

Priorities page

  • PTO: Aki June 23-July 1; Lukas June 27-July 1.

    • Contact buildduty for respins/infrastructure issues

    • Armenzg is on the hook for a mobile chemspill release
  • releases
    • (aki) bug 664307 – Fennec 5.0b7 – done

    • (aki) bug 663986 – Fennec 5.0 – done
    • bug 574764 – port mobile releases to 0.8 automation – may be ready for 6.0b1 now that it’s slated for july 5; may hold off til 6.0b2 to be safe.
  • tegras
    • bug 662400 – tegras moved to new foopies, should allow us more headroom

    • (azakai) bug 662936 – fennec silently fails while running talos — this should help fix a lot of our oranges
    • any other help with orange tests would be appreciated (see priorities page)

Other

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-06-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-06-22


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Email going out to developers who have SDK-based add-ons to update their add-ons to >= 1.0 RC2 – we will be auto-upgrading add-ons that fit this version constraint to 1.0 final. (Dan)

  • Jennifer to come back around next week with a plan for sync addon retirement and 3.6.x

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 4.0, 5.0)

  • 5.0 came out on Tuesday

    • Looking at feedback to make sure nothing bad pops up

    • Plan is to unthrottle tomorrow morning
  • 3.6.18 came out on Tuesday
  • 3.5 users will be updated to 3.6.18
  • There will be no 4.0.2
    • Firefox 5 is the security/stability update for Firefox 4

    • Christian is going to blog today to reiterate yet again
  • There will be a 3.6.19 – expecting to ship at same time as Firefox6.0

Beta (5)

  • Firefox 5 pushed to the release channel as well

  • Some discussion about if we will put a version of Aurora on beta early (discussed in the Thursday Aurora meeting)
  • Next official migration is July 5th

Aurora (6)

  • Christian is sending nag emails for bugs not landed yet

  • Next official migration is July 5th

Nightly (7)

  • Next official migration is July 5th

  • 350 change sets for about 260 bugfixes in the last week.

Firefox Mobile

5

Firefox 5 launched yesterday (sim-ship with desktop)

6

Currently in AURORA, ready to move to BETA on July 5 (see Release Schedule)

7

currently in NIGHTLY channel; moves to AURORA on July 5, 2011 (see Release Schedule)

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder

  • update going out today, an SDK change enforced something that was not previously enforced in the XPI creation cycle.

  • next release is all about increasing speed and stabilization after the beta release

Add-on SDK 1.0

  • RC3 last Wednesday, June 15

  • RC4 to address one last blocker last Friday, June 17
  • final release shipped on time alongside Firefox 5 yesterday, Tuesday, June 21
  • tree thawed for post-1.0 development last Wednesday, June 22
  • draft development process/release schedule posted to Jetpack discussion group last Wednesday and dev.planning today
  • a satisfied customer, yesterday, on IRC:
(18:13:58) doubletap: you guys have been great!! except for a couple little bugs,
i have been able to port my 30 files with thousands of lines of JS from chrome to
firefox in less than a week. thank you all you jetpack folks. i now get to go on
vacation.
(18:14:07) Melez Myk: doubletap: awesome, happy vacation!
(18:14:54) Melez Myk: doubletap: don't hesitate to let us know about those bugs,
either via the discussion group
<http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla-labs-jetpack>,
filing bug reports
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Add-on SDK>...
(18:15:11) doubletap: the bugs are mine :)
(18:15:26) Melez Myk: doubletap: or posting in the support forum
<https://forums.mozilla.org/addons/viewforum.php?f=27>
(18:15:34) Melez Myk: doubletap: oh! ok, never mind then :-)

Input 4.2

  • ETA is 6/28

  • ElasticSearch is mostly integrated on Staging and the Metrics team has a cluster set up for it.
  • Grouperfish is looking to be ready for the release too.
  • Some quick wins: Themes will show up happy/sad themes, sites will be fully working
  • Daily automated metrics reports for rapid release which includes ADUs, crashers/100 users, median startup, add-on compatibility, praise/issues for each channel and open bugs where relevant

Feedback Summary

  • Slow, laggy (?)

  • Extensions
  • Some website issues

Press & Public Reactions

Questions, Comments and Highlights

  • What’s our 3.6 EOL plan? (catlee)

    • We are having a meeting next week to discuss…details will be sent to dev-planning
  • Planning to turn off our FF3.5 automation (catlee)
    • We need to give a heads up to linux vendors

    • Probably need to wait until after blackhat if outside companies/users are relying on the branch
    • Should talk to kev as well
  • Users refusing the update (because of extensions) or trying a really hard to get Firefox 4 and then disabling updates. (Cheng)
    • For extension issues, ask users to use Add-on compat reporter, contact the extension dev.

    • For using the web, try an alternative browser (worst case, 3.6.18)
  • Version number confusion/churn FF5
  • Selenium and FF5
    • Johnathan to ping webdev about Selenium
  • How current/accurate is the Flight Tracking page for Firefox 7? Are there features without feature pages QA should be aware of? What’s the status of features with passed ETAs? (ashughes)
    • Asa will look into the pages and make sure the pages reflect the release as accurately as possible

    • Johnathan notes that not all features have project managers yet and that it will take some number of releases before we get it right

Actions this week

  • Dave M to report on early Addon SDK uptake stats

  • Christian to report on 3.6 EOL meeting outcome
  • Johnathan to ping web dev about selenium bustage in FF5. DONE
    • From Dave Hunt in email:
      Selenium 2.0rc3 was released earlier this week with support for Firefox 5. Selenium IDE (a Firefox addon) does not officially support Firefox 5, however this is currently being tested and should be released in the near future.

  • catlee/joduinn to report back on discussions around shuttering 3.5 automation

21-June-2011

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-06-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-06-21


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Current Release Schedules
Thunderbird 5.0 Final Beta Thunderbird 3.1.11
ETA: this week

  • Builds start: 13 June

  • QA with builds start: 14 June
  • Beta period starts: 14/15 June
  • Final release: 21 June

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> jhopkins

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friends of the Tree When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

  • Jim McCullough: author of Thunderbird / Ubuntu guides

  • Vincent (“cameleon”): contributions to the Knowledge Base, localization and support
  • Pasquale Dante for all the good work at dumping bugs.

Conversion Funnel (Priority 0 side project)

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner

No change since last week.

  • contracts w/3rd party email providers progressing

  • security reviews
OpenSearch

No change since last week.

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations

Huge row of bug fixes, released and pushed b2 to AMO, waiting on more feedback before doing a last batch of bugfixes and release the final 2.0 version. All the major changes have been pushed to later to allow me to focus on polishing and stabilizing. Help is welcome, as usual :-).

Compose in a tab

Cleaned up and submitted a new version to AMO, hopefully approved this time (three rejections in a row). I think I’ll try to have it public and keep it “as is” before we reassess the priorities and how that fits in the larger plan.

Account Summary
  • New version up in bug 489999. Please test it out and provide feedback.
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • De-RDFing patch is going through the final stages of review – hope to merge it soon

  • EDS contacts integration made some big strides last week in order to hit the “read-only” milestone for the end of the month – EDS contacts now:
    • appear in the auto-complete To/Cc/Bcc fields

    • are searchable
    • show photos for contacts
    • allow mailing lists

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 5 (Miramar)
  • Remaining blockers resolved.

  • Releasing final beta today or tomorrow.
  • Add-on authors have been contacted about compatibility.
  • L10n is working on the web site updates.
  • Expecting to release next Tuesday, 28th.
  • Congratulations to Firefox 5 which was released today!
Thunderbird 6
  • Earlybird is the name for the Thunderbird builds on the Aurora channel

  • Earlybird builds have now been started and are available here (l10n).
Thunderbird 7
  • Currently on comm-central.

  • Merge date – feature & string freeze – 5th July.
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • Releasing 3.1.11 today.

  • Bug Lists: 3.1

Extension of the week

  • Quick Folder move Extend the move context menu and let’s you type in the folder name. Very handy extension if :

    • You move emails manually a lot.

    • You have a lot of folder in your accounts.
    • Shift-M opens the move-to menu even without the context menu

QA Updates

  • Just did testing for 3.1.11 and follow up on 5.0

Marketing Updates

  • watching what the Firefox guys are doing today

Infrastructure Update

 mk_add_options CLIENT_PY_ARGS="--verbose --skip-venkman"
 mk_add_options ALWAYS_RUN_CLIENT_PY=1

This can be directly invoked as make checkout, or implicitely whenever using make some-target when ALWAYS_RUN_CLIENT_PY is set.

Coming to Try Server soon…

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 5.0b2 build 1 today

  • Thunderbird 3.1.11 release today

Web Update

  • webpage is moved and functioning on mozilla.org stage. The homepage and in-product pages are done, other parts that don’t need l10n will be done by the end of this week.
* http://www-stage.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
* http://www-stage.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/5.0/start
* http://www-stage.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/5.0/whatsnew
  • localization is in progress

  • met with moco webdev/engagement to discuss bedrock, the Django rewrite of mozilla.com/org
  • Fixed AMO bug to add Thunderbird collection for the discovery pane

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1312 new support topics (1332 last week) – Media:13-19June2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. Thunderbird 5 Beta 1 is out! Would love some help with contributors to write some knowledge base articles. No experience required, just a copy of Thunderbird and the ability to write in English or translate. We’ll polish up your writing and make it sing!
  3. Thunderbird 5 Support Issues – not yet up to date, but nothing major at first glance (Will analyze the approximately 22 Thunderbird 5 related support topics on Get Satisfaction by end of the day)
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details
  5. We will be moving support.mozillamessaging.com soon (no date yet, tracker bug and more info after Thunderbird 5 is released).

Lightning Updates

  • All blockers solved, aside from low risk theme changes

  • Release work in progress, rc1 is tagged and building
  • Had a few issues with the l10n dashboard not giving me the right revisions, this had to be fixed manually
  • Preparation for Ubuntu integration talks in progress
  • Lightning 1.0b4rc1 will be released today. I will allow until the 27th for testing and then upload the final to AMO. If something major shows up, we will do a chemspill release to fix things.

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

jhopkins, jb, jenzed, ludo, rolandtanglao, standard8 aka Mark Banner, gozer, rebron, bienvenu, mconley, bwinton, sancus, andreasn, fallen aka Philipp Kewisch

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-06-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-06-21


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • Firefox 5 shipped today (mobile and desktop, rock!)
  • Next source migration is July 5th
  • We’ll have a post-mortem for the rapid release process next week, time TBD

  • We’ll have a meeting about 3.6 EOL next week, time TBD

Firefox Development

  • See above, Firefox 5 shipped today!

  • No dev update this week, it’s been a bit of a distracting day.
  • Spinning up a firefox team project branch, follow along at home! bug 663128

GFX

  • There are blog posts forthcoming, but we have recently changed the font rasterization method on Windows Vista/7 when using DirectWrite to make fonts “less fuzzy.”

    • This change is now on mozilla-central, and we’re hoping to land it in Aurora before too long.

    • Technical details: We’re now using the GDI_CLASSIC DirectWrite rasterization method for the most common web fonts at smaller sizes. We believe this should resolve the most common problems without pessimizing downloadable fonts unjustly.
    • For more information, see bug 661471.

JS

  • Brian Hackett plans to land the type inference branch to TM shortly before the next mc->aurora merge.

    • JS changes that want to go out for Fx7 would land directly to mc during the time between the TI->TM merge and the TM->mc merge.

    • TM would merge to mc just after the mc->aurora merge for max bake time on nightly.
    • He is currently seeing a ~1.6x improvement on Kraken and 1.1-1.3x on V8-V6 (vs trunk).

Layout

  • Jonathan Kew’s font inspector API landed. You can now write extensions that will tell you exactly what font(s) are being used to render any given DOM range — including the entire document, or a single character. For downloaded fonts you can get metadata including the license.

Plugins

  • [josh] Bug 90268: Content ownership of plugin instances is mostly working on all platforms. Patch is on the holly branch. Need to fix remaining test failures and some to-do items before reviews can start. Can probably have that done and reviews started by the end of the week.

DOM

  • AddEventListenerByIID() n’ friends is going away (sicking)

Network

  • [hurley] NeckoNet now available. Standalone test suite for networking. Can record and replay test pages with different builds against custom-configured networking conditions. Will be adding features and improving usability quickly.

Accessibility

Multi-Process

Tree Management

  • We have been running side by side tp4 and tp5

    • We would like to disable it next week on June 30th

    • comments/questions? bug 664831 – disable tp4 (except older release branches)

Stability Report

  • The overall crash numbers look good but the trunk has been a bit more variable than for FF5 and even FF6.

  • Weird spike yesterday due to a new signature – @0x12e117. All the reports appear to be dups so for now we are going to ignore this. It drove up the crash rate for a day (see graph).
  • 2 signatures that are not exactly new but have been at the top of the list for the past week or so…
  • New signature filed for 4.0.1 but present on other branches:

Roundtable

  • MemShrink effort up n’ running, next meeting today at 1pm PDT. (jst)

  • Land aurora patches with approval and mark as appropriate
  • mozilla-inbound is not the new try server, it is not OK to land untested patches there! :) (ehsan)

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress