Meeting Notes

27-July-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/27-Jul-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 8605
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8605

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8605
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel

Schedule

  • Fennec 8 (nightly)

    • This is the active development trunk
  • Fennec 7 (aurora)
    • Need to move only required fixes from trunk (as those fixes are made)

    • Fixed on Aurora this week:
      • bug 664364 – Entering newline after Japanese in a textarea doesn’t change cursor position

      • bug 671960 – Prevent calling cairo functions on invalid surfaces through gfxASurface
      • Backout out bug 672026 for causing mobile startup crashes
  • Fennec 6 (beta)
    • Live in the Android Market

    • Fixed on Beta this week:
      • bug 671960 – Prevent calling cairo functions on invalid surfaces through gfxASurface

      • Backout out bug 672026 for causing mobile startup crashes

Next merge date is 2011-08-16

Major Topics for This Week

Application

Front-end

  • Work for Fx8

    • Tablet UI

      • UX design is ready for start implementation
    • Selecting text in web content followup bugs
      • Landed some fixes

      • What are the priority fixes needed for Fx7?
    • Language picker support for locales on AMO
    • Basic webapp support
      • Need to “appify” the tab?

      • Need to support manifest approach bug 609043
    • Master Password
      • Address review comments

      • File some follow up bugs
  • Let’s make sure we are working on other bugs and minor features too

UX design

UX

  • Madhava vacationing in cottage country, back August 2

  • Fennecomb – ongoing design and spec work, and visual design and asset work starting late this week/early next week
  • Design updates to Fennec about:home underway (Bug 646899, 669166)
  • Designs for Fennec camera UI underway

Platform Support

  • If you have worked or are working on OpenGL, please attend the OpenGL ES accelerated layers sync-up meeting (tomorrow – 9am PDT. extension 99366)

    • Gfx team has a branch with OpenGL ES accelerated layers, which is ready for testing, at least in terms of “does this give us the speedup we expect.”

Android

Maemo

  • Tier 1 -> Tier 3

    • Post FF7

Performance

Testing

QA

Test Suites

Test Automation

  • looking into turning on about 8000 more mochitests for android automation this week

  • xpcshell on android is making progress

Release Engineering

Other

  • we added “+” to tracking-fennec to track bugs we care about, but don’t have a clear timeline for

SUMO general insights:

  • Most requested device is Symbian/Nokia this week.
  • Access issues:

Market link not working (19) Need direct link to download (17) Can’t download to tablet (24)

Overall 158 ‘I have this problem too’ votes related to tablets on SUMO this week.

Common Input issues this week: No flash (26), too slow (22), too difficult to use (15)

Overall Input is very positive (60/70% of feedback is positive: good, fast, sync) for Firefox Mobile.

Project plan draft for Q3 SUMO Mobile goal

Status of our requests for platform / layout teams (e.g. readability)?

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-07-27


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL) (phone dial in to Warp Core Vidyo Bridge x92 Conf # 95312)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Johnathan to re-template this meeting to extract out common elements

    • Done! See?
  • Thomas to review new meeting template
    • Done! Looking good. Will probably need a few minor tweaks
  • Asa to post about the product team’s view of 64-bit support and update the group here
    • I haven’t done this yet. Still waiting on feedback from plug-in vendors on dates.

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 5.0)

3.6.20 on track for simul-ship with 6.0

Beta (6)

JST wants to discuss up a virus problem that we want to try to address for Beta. WIll happen in the triage meeting. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=670542

Aurora (7)

Nightly (8)

Tab animations and tab tear off improvements landed on m-c

Firefox Mobile

Release (5)

Beta (6)

  • fixed crashers

Aurora (7)

  • fixed crashers

Nightly (8)

  • fixed crasher

  • working with webapps group

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder

Add-on SDK 1.1

  • progress continues apace on a variety of enhancements and bug fixes

  • new Development Process finalized
  • first merge from development branch to stabilization branch takes place next Tuesday, August 2
  • release happens Tuesday, September 13
  • and six weeks after that (October 25)
  • and six weeks after that (December 6 – Saint Nicholas Day!)
  • rinse and repeat

Input 4.3

  • No ETA just yet; IT has set up the new clusters and are testing extensively.

Other notes:

  • Finished an experimental extension, named Alert the Developer, that adds your favorite happy/sad/idea buttons to each add-on’s detail panel in the add-ons manager is up on AMO and waiting for a full review. Kudos for some great help by Mossop!

  • Final stages with the BMO team on defining a set of requirements to allow Nightly/Aurora users to file bugs into Bugzilla via an option on Input’s sad form.

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Firefox 6

  • Broken Arabic fonts on BBC: bug 674335 — Needs tech evang.

  • Thai not working on OSX: bug 672955
  • Some comments about sync add-on bustage.

Mobile

Positive Insights Found
  • Sync

  • Input: 4
  • Fast

  • Input: 14

SUMO general insights:

  • Most requested device is Symbian/Nokia this week.

  • Access issues:

Market link not working (19) Need direct link to download (17) Can’t download to tablet (24) Overall 158 ‘I have this problem too’ votes related to tablets on SUMO this week.

Negative Clustered Insights Found

Release Channel

Bug Id
  • No Flash

  • Input: 34
  • SUMO: New 93 same as last week
All

bug 630007
  • Would like more options for clearing history

  • Input: 2
  • SUMO: New 25 up
Beta/Release

bug 656901
  • No Copy & Paste

  • Input: 4
  • SUMO: 16
Beta (not in Aurora or Nightly)

bug 582244
  • Updates are too frequent/confusion around non market update

  • Input: 2
Aurora

N/A

UX & User Research

Mobile

  • Fennecomb – ongoing design and spec work, and visual design and assets likely to pick up again late this week/early next week* Design updates to Fennec about:home underway

  • Design updates to about:home underway (Bug 646899, 669166)
  • Designs for camera UI underway

Market Insights

Desktop

Updates as of July the 18th. Next update in the week of August the 15th (Patrick is on holiday)

  • Microsoft held its Worldwide Partner Conference. News and rumours include:

    • Windows 8 will be called “Windows 8″ (this had been in doubt previously)

    • Windows timeline rumours: September in Beta, January in RC and April 2012 ready for market
    • Windows Phone 7 will not run on tablets; Windows 8 will
    • Long-term, Windows 9 or 10 will run on the Xbox and other devices
  • NSS Labs released another report stating that IE9 is by far the best browser at protecting against socially-engineered malware.
  • A Microsoft Research project accidentally went live at the domain socl.com.  Codenamed Tulalip, it reportedly integrated Facebook and Twitter feeds.  Microsoft did not to share any more information about the project.
  • Google profits up 36%. Google beat forecasts, with profits up 36% in the last quarter (both advertising and click-through rates going up.  During their earnings call, Google quoted 160M users of Chrome (the same figure they quoted in May), and did not discuss Chrome OS at all.

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • The beta tablet version of the Dolphin browser, Dolphin for Pad, was released in the Android Market

  • Opera anounced a partnership with an Indian mobile game developer and released the June edition of its State of the Mobile browser reports
  • The Android Market introduced multiple APK support for a single product, allowing for better device targeting
  • Android accounted for 30% of tablet devices sold in Q2 2011, with iOS having a 61% share
  • 28% of all mobile phones sold this year will be smartphones, with Nokia being dethroned in Q2 as the top selling smartphone OEM, in favour of Apple or Samsung (final results to become available this week)
  • The first device to feature the WP7 Mango update to be the Toshiba Fujitsu IS12T, to be released in Japan in September this year

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Mobile

  • Phase 1 of Aurora promotion: introduced into current channels; evaluation in a month (1st week of September)

  • Began Android Market optimization: “Browser” #6, “Web Browser” #4, “Mobile Browser” #7
  • Updating /mobile sites: EOL Maemo, device compatability, mobile takeover

Questions, Comments, FYI

Actions this week

  • Asa to post about the product team’s view of 64-bit support and update the group here

    • I haven’t done this yet. Still waiting on feedback from plug-in vendors on dates.
  • Cheng to file bug on os X lion intercepting old navigation gestures
  • Cheng/Aakash/Axel to figure out locale-specific input scrubbing

26-July-2011

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2011-07-26


« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • Please note A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

    • therube for sterling work supporting users in the Mozillazine support forums.
    • rsx11m for his patches to make View Zoom work better.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • More people need to help out with taking of the meeting notes. Ratty to send an email to SeaMonkey-members list summarizing what needs doing and asking for people to share duties. Still TODO, somehow this fell between the cracks.

  • We should find a better way of getting nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • We could put out a call for nominations the week before then, at the time of the meeting notice going out we could include any nominations (We need to come up with a quick FAQ as to what merits a nomination). IanN has put out an email to the members list. InvisibleSmiley came up with some sensible suggestions.

    • We need to advertise such a thing happens even if it is only in the meeting notice.

CLOSED

  • IanN to triage the 2.2-tracking bugs, and move as needed to the appropriate target version.

K.I.V.

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. We can still only wait on the Google front right now. Didn’t hear anything about open Geolocation service yet. No easy solution in sight.

Release Train

  • For comm-aurora, we also should regard strings there as much frozen as possible. In the future, string freeze is the uplift from central to aurora, which matches Firefox.

  • If we have any actual fixes that don’t need L10n changes (not enhancements) on central but not beta, they should go there if possible.
  • Bug authors and/or reviewers should request relevant approvals for comm-aurora/beta when necessary.
  • Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).
  • First beta of 2.3 is due out shortly and then we’ll have about 3 weeks to release. Target release date is 16th August.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley.

    • InvisibleSmiley moved Dictionary Switcher to “AMO”, removed “under review” from MailNews Status Icons; moved FireFTP and Copy URL + to “External Sources”, added IE Tab + and Scriptish to “AMO”

    • DERoss added Signature Switch to “Needs Addition to install.rdf”
    • Various other updates over the past two weeks, including Greasemonkey (from xsidebar site) marked as working.
  • AMO has a compatible version of Engimail now, and an experimental one for Lightning. Unfortunately these two Calendar extensions must be sought under Thunderbird and “All versions”.
  • Besides Lightning, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.1.
  • InvisibleSmiley created a 2.1 FAQ Wiki page. Everybody please help update it.
    • The FAQ should be version-agnostic and have version updates mentioned in it so Jens or whoever won’t need to keep changing the version numbers.
  • KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.
  • The whole FAQ/AddonCompat information needs to be re-thought with versions in mind but InvisibleSmiley lacks the time to do it. It’s a wiki so we can try to offload it. Ratty suggests involving imput from seamonkey-members and/or mozilla.support.seamonkey.

SeaMonkey 2.2

open tracking (2)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (36)

  • SeaMonkey 2.2 was released on 8th July 2011, based on Gecko/Mozilla 5.0 and Available in 21 languages, for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

  • The New 2.2 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.
  • AUS updates from (2.0 -> 2.2 and 2.1 -> 2.2):
    • 2.1->2.2 is a minor update and should be online as automatic already.

    • 2.0->2.2 is a major update (MU) and is online now, too.
  • 2.2 had ~43300 ADU yesterday, 112457 downloads so far.
    • vs. 63682 on 2.0 (and 4437 on 2.1) so about 20k have migrated from 2.0 to 2.2 in the last week.
  • The release notes should also mention (or provide a link to) any fixed security issues in order to support our mantra that you need to install updates to stay secure.

Follow-ups and Issues

  • Lost Bookmarks bug 673474 and Cookies bug 673672 on auto-update from 2.0.14 to 2.2.

    • Bookmarks can be re-imported from bookmarks.html.
  • A XUL Core bug causing symptoms like:
    • bug 671192 Command “Paste without Formatting” in message window is missing.

    • bug 672258 Wrong context menu can be shown if two different windowtypes have the same contextmenu id and xul cache is enabled.
    • IanN is testing out a workaround suggested by Neil for the context menu issue, the core bug is still there though, but only we seem to be exposing it at the moment.
  • Regression in Addressbook (bug 671251 Cannot drag & drop contacts to another address book) [fixed].
  • Regressions in the Mail Advanced Search Window (bug 671605 Search window does not allow to open second message from result list) [fixed].
  • Users are unhappy about various UX and usability issues with the new Data Manager.
    • Ratty proposes that until all the major pain points are addressed, links to the old individual managers be established (probably from the various Data Manager panes).
  • [InvisibleSmiley] We need to try harder to fix regressions ASAP. I feel there is still too much delay. IMO regressions from the last stable version need to be addressed with top priority, especially in light of the rapid release train.

SeaMonkey 2.3

open tracking (6)
tracking requests (3)
targeted (1)
fixed (14)

  • SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 will probably be released tomorrow Wednesday 27th July.

  • The release date for 2.3 final is still about 16th August.

Several breakages (AB, opening MailNews search results) have only been fixed after 2.3b1 was tagged. Should we respin?

  • [Kairo] I’m against a respin, that’s what a b2 is for and we’ll need one anyhow.

  • [IanN] My preference is that the b1 release notice, mentions the known issues.

Further 2.x scheduling

  • Current release notes are for 2.2. Once we have 2.3 or later, relnotes need to be updated.

  • Please help updating the New 2.3 Features page as we go.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 56 new, 33 fixed, 19 triaged.

  • New bugs seem to be outstripping fixed/triaged but still a good amount of triaging going on.

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags:
34 review
12 super-review
0 ui-review
8 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

Active

  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.5 but will probably be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.
  • de-RDF bug 654864 has been finished and landed on all development branches, including comm-beta (2.3). Still to do:
    • Neil wanted to follow up on some listener issues

    • for the selection issue, see what the TB guys come up with in bug 669203

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].

    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object.
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Gecko 2.0) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze is currently busy with his new job so doesn’t have any to spend on this.

    • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 515734 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

asrail

Callek

Released:

  • SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1.

Fixed:

  • bug 647107 snippet details URL is not secure, can spoof major updates.

  • bug 660745 [SeaMonkey] Install “June 2010 or newer” DirectX SDK.
  • bug 668724 bug 654152 broke the ability of all-locales to be read without specifying an path on web.
  • bug 668744 Update from 2.0 leaves behind some files in some locales.
  • bug 672100 [lightning] comm-miramar nightly builds should be labeled 1.0b5 or 1.0b5pre instead of 1.0b4pre
  • bug 672441 Perform checkdisk and check results from cn-sea-qm-win2k3-01.nl.mozilla.org VM.
  • bug 672640 [lt] SeaMonkey 2.0 ? 2.2 Major upgrade billboard l10n (Patch by Rimas Kudelis).
  • bug 673559 Make comm-central support the June 2010 DirectX SDK

Working on:

  • bug 653424 need to add comm-2.0 and releases/comm-{aurora,beta} to MXR.

ToDo:

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 512378 – Port |Bug 506985 – remove java-specific preferences from Firefox UI, hidden prefs| to SeaMonkey 2.1

    • bug 513895 – Audit preference panes for duplicate stylesheets
    • bug 537153 – message-id context lacks accesskeys
    • bug 599731 – Move “Recently Closed” menus to Go menu
    • bug 621042 – Advanced Account Settings should mention account name
    • bug 633935 – Port |Bug 237376 – Put ‘reply to newsgroup’ on top| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 635179 – Expose browser.zoom.siteSpecific to preferences GUI
    • bug 668723 – Update removed-files.in for bug 643816
    • bug 670652 – Audit preference stylesheets for duplicate stylesheets.
    • bug 672101 – Add browser.zoom.siteSpecific pref to help.
  • Checkin-needed:
  • Needs Review:

    • bug 670561 – show profile path in profile manager.
  • Working On:

    • bug 78357 – Account wizard doesn’t have place to enter port info

    • bug 102275 – Number untitled pages.
    • bug 670513 – Recently Closed Windows/tabs have been moved to the Go menu. Document this.
  • Investigating:

    • bug 13818 – Ability to change the “quoteline”

    • bug 16717 – Disable source folder in Move/Copy/File menus
    • bug 39113 – Show current profile name in preferences (backed out)
    • bug 513900 – executable permissions for data files (port bug 461322 to SeaMonkey)
    • bug 527173 – Spellchecker settings are in the Mail section but the SP is used by all components
    • bug 620324 – Selected multiple mail folders to move, but only one folder gets moved
  • BackBurner:

    • bug 649952 – Port |Bug 609824 – Re-add Bloglines to the feed reader options| to SeaMonkey

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 670750 Move appropriate entites from navigator.dtd to navigatorOverlay.dtd which are only used in navigatorOverlay.xul

    • bug 670749 Have individual methods for cookie/image/popup menus in navigatorOverlay
    • bug 671572 Switch suite to use Services.prompt
    • bug 672528 Switch suite to use Services.strings
    • bug 670948 Missed gLocSvc.pwd in dataman.xml
    • bug 672777 Bump DOM Inspector compatibility for SeaMonkey 2.5
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js

    • bug 671554 Switch suite/mailnews to use Services.prompt
    • bug 672772 Bump Chatzilla compatibility for SeaMonkey 2.5 / Firefox 8.0
    • bug 672774 Bump Venkman compatibility for SeaMonkey 2.5 / Firefox 8.0 / Thunderbird 8.0
    • bug 673726 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.3 (comm-beta)
    • bug 673730 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.4/Thunderbird 7.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Waiting for additional review on:
    • bug 657161 Make use of contentAreaContext in Composer
  • Working on:
    • bug 550484 Hardcoded widths for pref-proxies-advanced and pref-languages.add dialogs

    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.

InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 654864 Suite changes from |bug 422845 – Replace rdf-driven addressbook directory tree with js one|

KaiRo

  • After quite some discussions, did a patch for support of bare IPv6 addresses in Data Manager (bug 665826) with some additions that also fixes potentially different but similar problems (like bug 635783). I hope this can even still land for SeaMonkey 2.3 in the current beta cycle.

  • I also worked on website storage support (bug 588415), but I didn’t get around yet to finish a good test for that, so people still need to wait for an official patch and add-on update.
  • Discussed and somewhat-reviewed rsx11m’s great work on more flexible page zoom levels (bug 621823). Nice to see other people now fixing those corners where I had to take shortcuts in heavy-lifting porting work I did for SeaMonkey.
  • Represented Mozilla at the SotM-EU conference
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps – both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.

mcsmurf

Misak

Fixed couple of bugs on trunk, keeping it in sync with FF:

Supporting Seamonkey russian user community.

Mnyromyr

Fixed bug 671605 Search window does not allow to open second message from result list.

MReimer

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 541313 Changing image size using Custom Size changes the image but does not display the new height and width correctly — H and W always equal the Actual Size.

  • bug 671441 Detect whether the crtdll.obj hack is necessary (Core).
  • bug 673717 Live bookmarks don’t update automatically.

Working on:

  • bug 611503 Constructing an nsTDependentString from an nsTAString makes no sense (Core).

  • bug 667962 jemalloc in 2010 doesn’t work on gmake (Core).
  • bug 673197 Enable jemalloc on VC8/9 express (Core).

Ratty

Fixed:

  • bug 666246 Accidentally dragging a single tab moves it to the right edge of the tab bar.

  • bug 673877 Increase performance of Win7 JumpList favorites queries.

Waiting for review.

  • bug 663343 The “List all Tabs” menu should visually identify which tabs are on-screen (rather than scrolled off).

Stalled:

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

Fixed bug 670337 Translate update page for SeaMonkey 2.0.x -> 2.2.

sgautherie

stefanh

Fixed:

  • bug 670532 [Mac] When a download starts, default to open download manager (like other OS).

Working on:

  • bug 553992 No focus rings for buttons in download manager, places window and the update dialog (Toolkit).

  • bug 650642 [Pinstripe] Make the filterdialog and the advanced search dialogs look better (Thunderbird).

Any other business?

[Ratty] How are we going to deal with e10s? I see stuff starting to land in mozilla/browser/ (preffed off).

  • [InvisibleSmiley] given that Neil doesn’t like ifdefs we’d probably have to hold off until something lands for good (preffed on).

  • [Ratty] Do we have a plan going forward. Or are we just going to wing it on a prayer?
  • [IanN] I think it would have to be discussed with TB crowd.
  • In theory, any UI/widget changes will impact both us and TB but only if that UI needs to communicate with a website that sits in a content process. On the browser side, that’s a lot, on the mailnews side, not so much.
  • [IanN] Well I’m hoping Neil will have a good grasp of it (or at least better than me).

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-07-26


last meeting | index | next meeting »

(current release schedules returning soon)

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Bienvenu

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

  • No nominations this week.

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
  • The Privacy Review is scheduled. Next step: turn the add-on code into a patch to core.
  • The Draft Schedule is being updated.
OpenSearch
  • squib is taking over the coding of Open Search, thanks!

  • Blake submitted an update to the addon with a new UI.
  • Blake is writing the Privacy Review Documentation.
  • The Draft Schedule is being updated.

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations

Nice progression of the userbase, went from ~2000 users on the 2.0 series to ~32000 (nice!). Lots of press coverage (lifehacker, lifehacker japan) which certainly helped.

Main issues:

Redirected the feedback to getsatisfaction (see http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/tags/conversations); any help is welcome. About to issue 2.0.7 to change the “would you like to leave some feedback” link to point to getsatisfaction.

Compose in a tab
Account Summary
  • About ready to release version 1.1; just waiting to get some additional testing before uploading to AMO (probably on Friday). See bug 489999 for the XPI.
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • EDS Contacts Integration

    • Create, update and delete now appears to work for contacts and mailing lists. Woo!

    • Found a regression introduced by my de-RDF’ing patch that prevents users from deleting their mailing lists – patch up for review at bug 673480
    • Have begun testing and fine-tuning for August 4th demonstration. Screencast forthcoming.

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 5 (Miramar)
  • Major Updates will be unthrottled today.

  • Miramar nightly users have been redirected to the Earlybird channel.
Thunderbird 6
  • beta1 released on beta channel last week, few bugs ready to land for future betas
Thunderbird 7
  • tb7 on earlybird, earlybird testers: please look for address book issues since some of the backend was changed in tb7, folder pane issue on startup has been fixed on trunk, will land on tb7 today if review passes
Thunderbird 8
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • Firefox have scheduled the next 1.9.2 release for August 16th., Thunderbird 3.1.x next release is scheduled is for August 16th (code freeze next week)

  • Bug Lists: 3.1

Extension of the week

QA Updates

  • Ludo away, tb6 beta1 and earlybird tb7 continues

Marketing Updates

  • PR Update: several articles 1,2 on Mozilla Enterprise Working Group, 6.0b1 news 1, 2.

  • 6.0b1 launched last week. Next: additional betas and Thunderbird final release.
  • Continuing work on Test Pilot studies.
  • blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird coming soon
  • Revisiting alpha/earlybird naming. “Mozilla Thunderbird Earlybird” not working well in several cases.

Infrastructure Update

  • faster Windows build improvements, feedback requested

  • new Minis in new data center

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 6.0b1 pushed to beta

  • Build infrastructure improvements, mainly win32
  • Testing patches for bug 656736 – Upgrade to latest MozMill for Thunderbird’s tests
  • Unthrottling Thunderbird 5 major updates

Web Update

  • Upgrading SuMoMo to Kitsune latest version (July 19, 2011)

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1938 new support topics (2013 1 week ago) – Media:18-24July2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. Thunderbird 5 Support Issues
  3. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details
  4. DRAFT Thunderbird 6 User Features Page for TB 6 docs, draft page for TB 7, draft page for TB8
  5. Alternatives for moving support.mozillamessaging.com to mozilla.org – Doesn’t really matter to end users where the Thunderbird Support website is we just want to minimize current and future technical “yak shaving”.
  6. Roland is tired of missing Windows subtleties :-) and is therefore moving to using Windows 7 for day to day work after TB6 ships

Lightning Updates

  • major kudos to Philipp for rapidly getting EDS provider “work in progress” out: currently smartify, read and delete events work

  • Some urgent bugs showed up post 1.0b4 (Don’t you love that “beep” ? ;-)
  • They all have fixes now, spinning 1.0b5
  • Update: Bugs fixed in this release are here
  • Builds temporarily available at:

All builds will of course move to ftp.mozilla.org when done.

Please take a moment to test these builds!

  • We want to get 1.0 out as fast as possible. Blocking list triaged down to 30 or so bugs to facilitate 1.0 release

  • Blocking 1.0 list here
  • Lets talk about how reasonable my decisions are when I have the list

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

bienvenu bwinton jb roland mconley fallen gozer jhopkins rebron sancus andreasn wsmwk

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-07-26


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • Firefox 3.6.20′s code freeze is in 1 week (Monday, 2011-08-01)

    • Note that non-blocking bugs had to land by yesterday
  • Offered a refreshed version of Beta yesterday
  • Final beta / RC will be built next week

  • Reminder: Source code migration from mozilla-central → mozilla-aurora is on 2011-08-16. That’s in 3 weeks folks

Firefox Development

  • The Jetpack team is now a part of the Firefox team, woohoo!

Firefox Developer Tools

Performance

GFX

JS

  • jsdbg2 (new JS debugging API) is landing soon (see bug 672829)

Layout

Plugins

DOM

  • New DOM Worker JS bindings (plus a bunch of goodies) landed, no more xpconnect in worker threads (bent)

Network

Accessibility

Multi-Process

Tree Management

Stability Report

Desktop

  • Trunk stability is pretty good

    • https://crash-analysis.mozilla.com/chofmann/20110725/top-8.0a1.html

    • Still some old crashes appearing in older builds
    • Bug 671916 – new linux crash regression. #5 in overall crashes on the trunk in the past week.
    • Bug 673977 – increase in this signature on the trunk that we think is related to the GC instrumentation patch we checked in.
    • New signature appeared yesterday nsRefPtr<nsXPCClassInfo>::~nsRefPtr<nsXPCClassInfo>() | nsCycleCollectingAutoRefCnt::decr(nsISupports*) – still needs to be logged.
  • 10.7 related crashes

    • Bug 670842 – is our top Lion specific crash and has been rising steadily since 10.7 was released.
  • Increased feedback reports – “app is crashier for 6.0 than 5.0″

    • We looked into this and found a measurable increase in Flash related hangs – Bug 618683

    • No clear site correlations but many of the comments mention youtube.
    • Some analysis pinpoint the regression to a period back in May but we are still trying to solidify this.
    • When we moved to beta, this hang really spiked ie: 1400 a day with 1 million users (5.0 has about 400 a day with 60 million users).

Fennec

  • top crash we were tracking Bug 671960 was just fixed.

  • Bug 672287 – Get symbols for libc for most common Android installs
    • Bug 672564 – Get symbols for libc for our tegras in test automation

Roundtable

  • App demo next week

25-July-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2011-07-25


« previous week | index | next week »

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Friends of the Tree

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 25 July

Tuesday, 26 July

The Belay Research Project

Brownbag, Tuesday, 26 July, 12:00 noon, 10-Forward (also on Air Mozilla)

The Belay project is co-designing user experience and system architecture to
enable simple and secure interaction between components on the web and in the
browser. Mark Lentcnzer, the Belay tech lead, will present their goals and
demonstrate their secure web-app execution environment.

Wednesday, 27 July

Thursday, 28 July

Friday, 29 July

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Future (6, 7, 8)

Reminder week!

  • Reminder: The next migration day (and hence target for the next Firefox release) is August 16th (3 weeks!)

  • Reminder: Final beta / RC build is building next week
  • Reminder: We have a new release ready every 6 weeks, and I blogged about it.
  • Reminder: Aurora meetings are Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2pm PDT, Beta meetings Mondays at 2pm PDT
    • Announcements go to dev.planning

Firefox Current (3.6, 5.0)

Reminder week!

  • Reminder: Non-blocking bug code freeze for 3.6.20 is today, 2011-07-25

  • Reminder: Blocking bug code freeze is one week from today, 2011-08-01
    • We hope to have builds available on 2011-08-02
  • Reminder: Full schedule is on the wiki

If you are assigned a bug for 3.6.20, please get it in now.

Mobile Firefox

Thunderbird

  • Thunderbird 6.0 Beta 1 was released last week. Please give it a try.

Drumbeat

  • Hackasaurus Summer Sprint. Atul and other members of Hackasaurus team are in Toronto for work sprint to ship Hackasaurus Beta in September.

  • Looking for your feedback on new Hackasaurus Roadmap. (Got some great feedback from Pascal Finette, Dan Mosedale and special guest star Mike Beltzner this morning.)
  • Please add your feedback here. How can we make it clearer? Easier for developers to contribute?
  • Prepping “Hack This Game” design challenge for Hackasaurus HTML5 games. Join Tuesday’s Hackasaurus community call to get invovled.

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
Boot To Gecko

Chris Jones

Boot to Gecko aims to create a complete, standalone operating system for the open web.

(no slides)

https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G
The Future of Firefox User Experience

Alex Limi

Part 1 of our two-part UX presentation series is happening at noon PST this Wednesday (July 27th). We’ll be showing what the Firefox UX team has been up to since Firefox 4, a visual design direction, a better model for add-on integration, the 80/20/2 rule, Home tab / New tab, and Presence in the browser. The talk should be recorded if we can make it happen, and broadcast on Air Mozilla. (Date is tentative until I’ve gotten confirmation that it isn’t conflicting with any other talks in Ten Forward)

N/A

N/A

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution

  • Fx6 Beta 3: Build candidates and updates have been checked. To be signed off Monday morning.

  • Same for mobile
  • Services Load Test environment will be fully functional

WebQA

QA Community

Automation Services

Automation & Tools

Security

Engagement

PR

Contributor Engagement

Creative Team

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

People Team

Introducing New Hires

  • Mary Trombley: joining the User Research team, managed by Jinghua Zhang, located in Mtn. View Office.

  • Wesley Kocher: joining the Products team, managed by David Mason, located in Iowa.
  • Gábor Krizsanits: joining the Jetpack team, managed by Dave Townsend, located in Budapest
  • Jean-Marc Valin: joining the Platform team, managed by Robert O’Callahan, located in Montreal.
  • Lucas Rocha: joining the Mobile team, managed by Mark Finkle, located in London.

Introducing A New Intern

  • Tobias Markus, Web Testing (“Tobbi”)

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

20-July-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/20-Jul-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 8605
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8605

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8605
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel

Schedule

  • Fennec 8 (nightly)

    • This is the active development trunk
  • Fennec 7 (aurora)
    • Need to move only required fixes from trunk (as those fixes are made)

    • Fixed on Aurora this week:
      • bug 668633 – Elements with scrollable overflow are cut off

      • bug 672543 – Don’t set accessibility.browsewithcaret when selecting text
      • bug 659468 – Feedback add-on compatibility manually bumped
  • Fennec 6 (beta)
    • Live in the Android Market

    • Fixed on Beta this week:
      • bug 659412 – Remove warning dialog for Android devices with low MemTotal

      • bug 668950 – Disable websockets on mobile

Next merge date is 2011-08-16

Major Topics for This Week

Application

Front-end

  • Work for Fx8

    • Tablet UI

      • Need to check with UX on design status
    • Selecting text in web content followup bugs
      • Landed some fixes

      • What are the priority fixes needed for Fx7?
    • Language picker support for locales on AMO
      • Process of getting XPIs to AMO

      • Deal with nightly breakage
    • Basic webapp support – landed
      • Need to “appify” the tab?

      • Need to support manifest approach bug 609043
    • Master Password
      • Address review comments

      • File some follow up bugs
    • Mobile friendly error pages
      • Landed
  • Let’s make sure we are working on other bugs and minor features too

  • MFinkle needs to spin through the buglist and make sure bugs have owners

UX design

Platform Support

Android

  • NDKr5

  • testing
    • there are make file targets for reftests and mochitests

    • if you have any issues running tests, file a bug
    • should be as simple as:
 MOZ_HOST_BIN="../objdir-x86/dist/bin/" make reftest-remote

and

 MOZ_HOST_BIN="../objdir-x86/dist/bin/" make mochitest-remote

Maemo

  • Moving from Tier 1 -> Tier 3 post FF7. Discuss.

Performance

Testing

QA

Remote today wiki only

Test Suites

Test Automation

  • make reftest-remote and make mochitest-remote are landed and working

    • please take a moment to try this out so we can ensure it works for more than a couple folks.
  • removed dependency on sharedID for sutagent in mozilla-central.

Release Engineering

Priorities page

  • dual desktop/mobile release: shipped.

  • bug 669189 – Still waiting for word from Google re: Android Market
  • ndk5 package rolled out to build slaves, testing on try

Other

  • Lucas Rocha joins Front-end
  • Safe Browsing Update (Gian Carlo)

    • dcamp working to remove sqlite db

    • moving torward prefix tree
    • 2mb in memory
    • Concern about startup speed
  • OpenGL Update (chris lord)
  • MemShrink Update (Alon Zakai)

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-07-20


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Asa to write up a post-facto feature page on async plugin painting on mac

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 5.0)

  • 3.6.20 code freeze is August 1st

    • Will ship at the same time as Firefox 6
  • Lion shipped today, we should be good with 5.0.1
    • Looking for more issues

    • We know that using Java on 3.6 on Lion causes a browser freeze
      • Will be fixed in 3.6.20

      • Living with it as the Lion early adopters not using Firefox 5+ and using Java is thought to be small

Beta (6)

  • Offered the update last week

  • Will send a (non-urgent) go to build today or tomorrow

Aurora (7)

  • Offered the update last week

  • Haven’t done the add-on compatibility bump on AMO yet
  • Builds only happen when there are changes during the day (yay RelEng!)
    • Christian is blogging on the channels blog about this today
  • Looks like Azure canvas will stick.

Nightly (8)

  • Migration is 4 weeks away.

  • Firefox starting up with multi-process landed to m-c: set pref “browser.tabs.remote” to true to try it out!

Firefox Mobile

5

in Android Market and Ovi Store: Total downloads: 2,847,002 (+3.95%) Android Market Active Installs: 1,185,896 (+3.72%) Market rating: 3.4 5/4/3/2/1: 10541/5961/5309/3989/5117

Add-Ons: Reviewed/Public: 167 (+1) Compatible: 31 (5.0-8.0a1) Featured: 20

  • Low compatible add-ons count

6

Beta 2 launched last week Total downloads: 126,036 (+16.81%) Android Market Active Installs: 51,934 (+15.73%) Market rating: 3.6 5/4/3/2/1: 533/343/241/145/211

7

in Aurora – last Release for Maemo, goal: publish Aurora on Android Market

8

in Nightly

Action Items from last meeting

New ACTION ITEMS

Mobile Test Pilot – HELP TEST!http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/mobiletestpilot

Maemo support: Fx7 will be final release

Localization

Release Engineering

  • Shutting off mozilla-2.0 automation?

  • Not generating aurora builds or updates if no code or localizations have changed
  • Mobile
    • Mobile priorities page

    • localized Marketplace promo text still an issue bug 663984
    • bug 669189 in Android marketplace lets Fennec be installed on incompatible devices – happening to other apps also
    • What’s New text (localized?) for every release? (500char max)

QA

  • testplan for Firefox 6 features is complete

    • working on cleanup and organization of feature pages

    • Beta 2
      • Work has started on testing, target ship date?
    • Beta 3 target date?
  • started tracking Firefox 7 features and creating test plans for those features

Marketing & PR

  • Firefox Gone Mobile – SF & London – great success! Report from Wilson/Dan coming soon

  • Mobile Add-Ons campaign for Fall
  • Q3: no big campaigns, focusing on optimizing existing channels to drive usage
  • Android Market description update and optimization w/ Irina

Headlines

UX and Design

  • UX workweek in Toronto this week

    • working/revising through Brian’s tablet draft specs

    • series of blog posts on this starting tomorrow
  • madhava to follow up on readability email sent out (you know who you are, brad and doug)
  • ongoing work on android widget, webapp creation (some detail in a feature page) — talking to apps team about resourcing

Research

Got great feedback on Firefox Home.

Have your friends and family sign up up to do some user testing on upcoming mobile studies.

Next Wednesday – Users in da House – 2pm-4pm PST

Market Insights

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • Dolphin HD released v6.0, a new logo and announced $ 10 million in funding from Sequoia

  • Opera announced a 3-year extension to its global agreement to Vodafone and a partnership with Motorola to have Opera Mobile bundled on the Motokey XT device in Brazil
  • Android is now growing at a rate of 550,000 activations per day and has a v2.3 SDK with tablet optimization features
  • Qualcomm released a mobile browsing benchmark called Vellamo
  • Apple announced a strong last quarter, when it sold 33.4 million iOS devices and expanded its international reach

More Info

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder

  • Freezing this Friday, release next Wednesday – hopefully this will be the last 2-week bug clean-up round

    • Finally tracked down the ghost-in-the-machine bug that was causing roughly 1/10 add-on test calls to hang in our add-on packaging queue for a looooong time. It was a third-party vendor lib that we use in AMO, we’ll be discussing possible fixes today.
  • Moving on to AMO API integrations next dev cycle
  • Need to figure out when we are going to make the push to transition the Builder to an open web app, will talk to Ragavan this week.
  • In case you didn’t see our new 12 month roadmap, you can check it out here: Add-on Builder Roadmap

Add-on SDK 1.1

  • progress continues apace on a variety of enhancements and bug fixes

  • last chance for feedback on proposed new Jetpack/Development Process!
  • initial drafts of feature pages for future development are almost done
  • dcm to start soliciting feedback on those soon (next week?)

Input 4.3

  • No ETA; working on IT blockers for getting metrics elasticsearch cluster up first

  • Will be in semi-maintenance mode for the quarter shoring up the app (WebDev resources divided with Mozillians.org), while working more on getting insights from the current system as it is now with Metrics and other teams.

Other notes:

  • Getting close to a working extension for feedback on specific add-ons

  • Working with the BMO team on defining a set of requirements to allow folks to file bugs into Bugzilla via an option on Input

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Feedback by version:

  1. 3.6/4.0 traffic (older)

  2. 5.0 or current release. — Cheng
  3. 6.0:
  4. Aurora (Features)
  5. Aurora (Issues/Bugs) – (969 Issues)

Mobile

Clustered Insights Found

Release Channel

Bug Id
  • No Flash

  • Input: 50
  • SUMO: New 95 down
All

bug 630007
  • Clear History

  • Input: 3
  • SUMO: New 16 up
Beta

bug 656901
  • No Copy & Paste

  • Input: 4
  • SUMO: None down
Beta (not in Aurora or Nightly)

bug 582244
  • Hard to get to Bookmarks

  • Input: 7
All

  • Images look jagged

  • Input: 8
Beta

bug 669851

Press & Public Reactions

Questions, Comments and Highlights

  • For when do we plan the last beta build off of the beta repos? aka, what’s the target date for l10n of Firefox 6 desktop/mobile

    • Christian said August 3rd (tentative)
  • (bsmedberg) Status of Windows 64-bit prioritization? I still think this should be very low priority, but I wonder if there is a feature page or an explicit prioritization decision has been made. (asa) Feature page is here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Special:FormEdit/Feature_Page/Features/Desktop/Windows_7_64_bit and dev.planning post coming up with the Product Team’s views.
  • Johnath wrote a blog post about release timing
  • Christian asks if we’ve seen an impact on mobile (more bugs, more feedback, faster fixes) after the push for Mozilla employees to run Android
    • We are seeing a bit of growth on Nightly and Aurora. 222 ADU on Nightly, 91 ADU on Aurora (up from 172 and 55 one month ago, and still growing). Note: That’s not short for 91,000 users – it’s just ninety-one users, period.

    • Please run builds and file bugs. But we also need to reach beyond employees if we really want meaningful testing on Nightly and Aurora.
  • Christian wants to know if we should put something in 3.6.20 to deal with Google Toolbar and updates
    • We note that the EOL announcement was anemic at best

    • Google’s still offering it for download in places
    • Users trying to update from 3.6 to 5+ may think it will eventually become compatible and wait
    • If we are going to do something in product, we need it on 3.6 and 3.6.20 is the vehicle
    • If we are going to do something in product, we have very little time as 3.6.20 code freeze is soon (especially if localization is involved)
    • Christian will organize a meeting with product, support, and kev. Others interested can email Christian to get on the invite

Actions this week

  • Johnathan to re-template this meeting to extract out common elements, Thomas to review

  • Asa to post about the product team’s view of 64-bit support and update the group here

19-July-2011

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-07-19


last meeting | index | next meeting »

(current release schedules returning soon)

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Bienvenu

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

  • No nominations this week.

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
  • This feature now has a Draft Schedule:

    • Write Technical Documents. (2011-07-18)

    • Get Privacy Review. (2011-07-29)
    • Get Security Review. (2011-07-29)
    • Make changes as required by Privacy and Security Reviews. (2011-08-09)
    • Merge add-on code into core: (2011-08-15)
      • Remove unused parts of the code.

      • Refactor pieces to use the built-in functions.
      • Re-style to blend better with the rest of the UI.
    • Get core patch reviewed, and make required changes. (2011-09-12)
    • Get core patch committed. (2011-09-26 = Final Merge day – 1)
    • Release the hounds! (2011-12-20 = Release Day for TB 9)
OpenSearch
  • No progress, as I’ve been concentrating on the Account Provisioner.

  • I should really release an update to the addon this week, though, to pick up Squib’s changes.

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations

Nice progression of the userbase, went from ~2000 users on the 2.0 series to ~32000 (nice!). Lots of press coverage (lifehacker, lifehacker japan) which certainly helped.

Main issues:

Redirected the feedback to getsatisfaction (see http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/tags/conversations); any help is welcome. About to issue 2.0.7 to change the “would you like to leave some feedback” link to point to getsatisfaction.

Compose in a tab
Account Summary
  • About ready to release version 1.1; just waiting to get some additional testing before uploading to AMO (probably on Friday). See bug 489999 for the XPI.
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • Spent most of last week tackling EDS address book authentication, which is now working.

  • The deadline to demonstrate add/write capability for the EDS add-on is August 4th. I seem to be on track.

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 5 (Miramar)
  • Currently doing throttled major updates as we keep an eye out for any stability issues. Should be opening it up later this week.

  • Miramar nightlies have been stopped, redirecting users to early bird – It’s a a two stage process you’ll need to update twice to get there.
Thunderbird 6
  • Thunderbird 6.0b1 is being build and tested – should be released by the end of the week, but we’re aiming for Wednesday morning.
Thunderbird 7
Thunderbird 8
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • Firefox have scheduled the next 1.9.2 release for August 16th.

  • Bug Lists: 3.1

Extension of the week

  • Mailbox Alert allows you to specify, for each seperate mail folder, a message, sound and/or a system command that will be executed when new mail is found there.

QA Updates

  • Validating 6.0b1

Marketing Updates

  • 6.0b1 this week.

  • Scoping out Test Pilot studies.

Infrastructure Update

  • On-site all week in MV

  • Network rewiring completed
  • New build capacity should come online this week

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 6.0b1 pushed to test channels. Preparing for release to beta channel.

  • Testing upstream buildbotcustom changes. Will need a buildbot master downtime window to deploy them.
  • Win32 build slaves are now using the NTFS filesystem (was: FAT32).

Web Update

  • Fixed a few bugs on the new site, and updated l10n merges.

  • Learned how to update the web l10n dashboard!
  • Started discussion on moving sumomo to mozilla.org

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 2013 new support topics (1478 two weeks ago) – Media:11-17July2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. Thunderbird 5 Support Issues – thanks to cameleon and tanstaafl for helping keep the page current
  3. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details
  4. DRAFT Thunderbird 6 User Features Page for TB 6 docs, draft page for TB 7, draft page for TB8

Lightning Updates

  • Some urgent bugs showed up post 1.0b4 (Don’t you love that “beep” ? ;-)

  • They all have fixes now, spinning 1.0b5
  • Update: Bugs fixed in this release are here
  • Builds temporarily available at:

All builds will of course move to ftp.mozilla.org when done.

Please take a moment to test these builds!

  • We want to get 1.0 out as fast as possible. The current blocking list is too long, I will go through those bugs and throw out as many as possible.

  • Blocking 1.0 list here
  • Lets talk about how reasonable my decisions are when I have the list

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

bienvenu bwinton jb ludo roland mconley reid fallen gozer jhopkins rebron sancus

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-07-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-07-19


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • The Firefox 3.6.20 (used to be called 3.6.19, which was then used by the 10.7 out-of-band release) schedule is now posted

    • Shipping at the same time as Firefox 6 (August 16)

    • Code freeze for non-blockers: 2011-07-25
    • Code freeze for blockers: 2011-08-01
  • Check out Johnath’s post (also on the channels blog) detailing the release schedule if you are unclear

Firefox Development

  • Telemetry work for front end bug 671038

  • Drew’s dynamic e10s analysis work has r+, but there’s a crasher in mochitest that needs debugging before he lands it bug 666713

GFX

  • Cross-origin WebGL textures using CORS (bug 664299) landed last week (and a bug in the implementation, bug 671906, landed over the weekend).

    • WebGL Angry Birds works again!

    • Note: DO NOT VISIT THAT LINK YOU WILL NEVER DO ANY WORK AGAIN

JS

  • IonMonkey ran its first program, a tiny program with a & operator.

Layout

  • New platform hires:

    • Scott Johnson — layout

    • Ralph Giles — video/RT
    • Randell Jesup (“new”) — RTC/general
    • Mats Palmgren (“”new”") — layout
    • Jean-Marc Valin — codecs

Plugins

DOM

Network

Accessibility

Multi-Process

Electrolysis/Short-Term Goals

  • Firefox starting up landed to m-c: set pref “browser.tabs.remote” to true to try it out!

  • Windows accessibility experiment appears to be successful: we’re using a dummy window to provide the accessibility tree and NVDA appears to be able to navigate it
  • Discussion about responsiveness metric ongoing: are we going to measure UI interactions such as new-tab and new-window, or content effects on responsiveness, or both?

Tree Management

  • Starting Wednesday morning, we will only generate nightlies when something has changed

    • If no code change and no locale string change for any locale, then do not generate new nightlies.

    • If any code change, or *any* locale change, we’ll still generate new nightly builds for *all* locales.
    • details in bug 650258
    • This means no updates for aurora unless there are code/l10n changes. Need to advertise this on the channels blog?

Stability Report

Roundtable

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress