Meeting Notes

31-August-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-31

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/31-Aug-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95346
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95346

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95346
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95346
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • vidyo: PB&J

Schedule

Next merge date is 2011-09-27

Major Topics for This Week

Application

Front-end

  • Work for Fx9

    • Tablet UI

      • Several patches have landed and more are on the way

UX design

Platform Support

Android

  • Flash support in progress

    • try build here: people.mozilla.org/~dougt/fennec-flash.apk

    • put comments here: etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/FennecFlash
  • Bug 680190 landed on inbound last night. Fixes another huge problem in bionic that causes lots of fail in testing. (Awesome Jim Chen!)
  • Working on getting better crash stats.
  • Bug that was halting progress on crash reporter annotations has been analyzed, now waiting on acquiring a win7 vm before a fix can be developed.

Maemo

Performance

Testing

QA

  • Watch release-drivers may be re-spinning Firefox 7 beta 3 and a possible Firefox 6.0.2 due to not white listing a Dutch Government cert from the affected CA

  • Test Plan for 6.0.1 (Chemspill)
    • Signed off
  • Test Plan for 7.0b3
    • In-progress
  • Crash Report Aug 29, 2011

  • had a meeting with Dev + Crashkill team; feedback received in how to improve the reporting
    • include how often, when, STRs if possible, etc.

    • utilize SkipList in order to get the last libxul module (Bug 683385 – skiplist symbols in libdvm.so module)
    • separation of platform; currently: fennec-linux = android + maemo + desktop of fennec on linux

Test Suites

Test Automation

Release Engineering

android_tier_1

  • releng busy with chemspill release(s?).

  • (fixed) bug 680138 – debug tegra reftests, crashtests: now on try & m-c
  • (fixed) bug 680561 – tegra proxy.flg set in wrong directory — may have caused some reds/purples
  • (fixed) bug 676275 – android sdk 13

Other

SUMO

  • Drafts for ‘Why is Firefox for Mobile Slow?’ and ‘How do I use gestures on my mobile device?’ out for review

  • New community member Nicholae to help answer forum questions (32 new threads last week, 6 unanswered)
  • 7 new members of the SF FF for Android meetup group, do join us!

Android market FF6 comments (78); all languages:

Dissatisfiers FF6; 1 star & 2 star ratings (35), week of August 22-28:

  • slow and unstable=25

  • no flash=7
  • UI=6 (zoom, copy/paste)
  • hogs resources=6
  • update broke it=2 (DroidX)

Android market FF7 comments (58); all languages:

Dissatisfiers FF7; 1 star & 2 star ratings (23), week of August 16-22:

  • slow=12

  • UI=9 (text entry issues)
  • no flash=11

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-31

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-08-31


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 6) | Beta (7) | Aurora (8)

  • Had to do a chemspill release for an issue with DigiNotar.

Nightly (9)

Firefox Mobile

m-c Nightly (9)

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder

Add-on SDK

Release (1.0 -> Firefox 5 & 6)

  • per last week: 1.0 is not fully compatible with Firefox 7, so we will be repacking 1.0-based addons with 1.1

  • mossop, dbuc, myk, and clouserw met this morning, crafted a plan to test the repacking process before initiating it for reals, and are starting to execute on it today (test plan)

Stabilization (1.1 -> Firefox 7)

  • first candidate build, 1.1rc1, spun and distributed yesterday, Tuesday, August 30 (release announcement)

  • testing so far has identified one potential blocker (regression bug 679554)
  • final release remains on schedule for Tuesday, September 13 (draft of release notes)

Development (1.2 -> Firefox 8)

  • development continues apace

Input 4.3

  • Grouperfish stood up and integrated with Input by the end of September; To do list and documentation can be found on their Read the Docs home

  • Tell Us More slated for end of September, beginning of October

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Firefox 6.0.1

  • Some reports that Flash is “marked incompatible” in 6.0.1 and that some flash video isn’t working.

    • Actually “Adobe Flash Plugin 11.3.7.0″ is a malware extension… *shrug*.
  • Some dutch comments with “ID cards” not working but my Dutch is rusty.

Firefox 6.0

  • New: Users are not sure where the Unsorted Bookmarks in the bookmarks menu comes from. (caused by bug 625325)

  • Everything else much the same as before

Firefox 7.0

  • New: We may have broken session restore from about:home in a recent beta but menu still works.

  • Loss of http is sad-making

Mobile

SUMO

  • 32 new questions last week

  • 12879 views on mobile support home page, up from 11557 last week.
  • 929 ‘I have this problem too’ votes, up from 700 last week
  • No flash and new device support continue to be most voted problems on SUMO

Android Market

FF6 comments (78); all languages:

Dissatisfiers FF6; 1 star & 2 star ratings (35), week of August 22-28:

  • slow and unstable=25

  • no flash=7
  • UI=6 (zoom, copy/paste)
  • hogs resources=6
  • update broke it=2 (DroidX)

FF7 comments (58); all languages:

Dissatisfiers FF7; 1 star and 2 star ratings (23), week of August 16-22:

  • slow=12

  • UI=9 (text entry issues)
  • no flash=11

Input

FF6:

  • Praise: 331

  • Issue: 96 (25 no flash, 6 slow performance, and UI: history/zoom/text reflow; are the clustered issues)

FF7:

  • Praise: 116

  • Issue: 99 (20 no flash, 6 slow performance, and UI: history/zoom/complexity; are the clustered issues)

UX & User Research

Market Insights

Desktop

  • Chrome Dev builds now sync a users “Omnibox history” (i.e. all search and navigation requests and history) and Chromium builds show an option to sync “Foreign sessions” (i.e. tabs on other machines).
  • Chrome Canary Builds show an option to “Enable automatic sign in for Google sites”, although in testing, this isn’t fully functional.
  • Google released an offline Gmail app – Chrome lost Gmail offline capability at the start of the summer after dropping support for Gears.
  • MuteTab was released – an extension that allows you to quieten a specific Chrome tab. 
  • Google is placing increasing emphasis on gaming for the Chrome platform beyond casual gaming. Google is the Premium Sponsor of New Game conference, and has been copromoting a number of games in the Chrome app store, and there have been discussions in the Chromium project about integrating the Joystick API.
  • Fastsoft, a “world leader web acceleration”, announced it will integrate mod_pagespeed, a web server module to take advantage of the SPDY protocol.
  • A Beta of Windows 8 is expected at the BUILD conference, starting September 12th; it’s likely that an IE10 beta will be released, at the very minimum, product features (beyond platform support) can be expected announced.

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • Opera reported record results, with most revenues coming from mobile operator deals
  • Mobotap launched an iPhone version of the Dolphin browser with a similar look and feel, as well as key features
  • Samsung presented 3 new Bada handsets and is preparing new Android device announcements tomorrow
  • The first, 7-inch, Amazon tablet is rumoured to be shipping in October, followed by a 10-inch version early 2012

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • myk: Where’s the template for these notes? I’d like to edit the section title that shows up each week for the Add-on SDK.

  • What do we think of shipping the update 4 days after pushing to website? — This will really help the add-on situation IMO. (Cheng)

Actions this week

  • Dave Mason to come back with information about jetpack adoption metrics as viewed through AMO

  • Michelle to scour mobile “flash fail” feedback to see if it’s clustered around a small number of sites

30-August-2011

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-08-30


last meeting | index | next meeting »

(current release schedules returning soon)

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> bienvenu

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

No Friend of the Tree this week.

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
  • JB has agreed to take over Project Management of the Account Provisioner so that Blake can focus on other things.
OpenSearch
Test Pilot

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations

Protz:

  • Did more Telemetry-related work, including an opt-in UI (port from Firefox), currently blocking on:

    • the privacy policy for Thunderbird being online and,

    • Sid Stamm’s privacy review for our Thunderbird-specific probes.
  • Gloda work finished, currently blocking on: Telemetry landing, so that we can compare the probes before/after
  • Thunderbird Conversations 2.1 is about to be released, please try out the latest version and report anything suspicious. See http://blog.andychung.ca/post/9563922811/thunderbird-conversations for shiny screenshots. (Almost 70000 users, w00t!). Lots of good feedback re the newer versions. Did a lot of polish, people seem to appreciate it.
  • Leaving Vancouver on Friday.
Privacy Policy

The privacy policy should include bits to describe what we do exactly with the user data collected from Telemetry. There’s a Firefox equivalent that we should, I think, include in our own version.

Compose in a tab
Account Summary
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • Breakage on EDS Contacts Integration add-on was due to build problem on Canonical machines – that’s been fixed.

  • Still keeping an eye out for serious show-stoppers, major problems – but so far, so good.

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 6
  • Good uptake so far.

  • Has a lower crash rate than TB 5.
Thunderbird 7
  • Currently on: Beta

  • Released the first beta last Friday, with updates going out on Saturday
  • We had various delays this time around partially due to still getting the automation up to date with the rapid release cycle. Should be much easier for subsequent betas.
  • Currently working on getting the add-on compatibility bump set up, should be completed next week with documentation for Add-on authors.
Thunderbird 8
  • Currently on: Earlybird

  • Starting to prepare information for add-on compatibility bump, so that we can bump before it goes to beta.
Thunderbird 9
  • Currently on: Trunk.

  • Next merge date is in about 4 weeks.
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • The 3.1 series is going to keep going while we discuss how to work with enterprise users. Once there’s a way forward there, we’ll close down the 3.1 branch.

Extension of the week

QA Updates

Marketing Updates

  • Tb6, 3.1.12, 7.0b releases

  • Next up, 6.0.1, 3.1.13, and second 7.0b.
  • PR Update:
    • Thunderbird 6 – Many articles focusing on just us, 1, 2, 3; several articles w/ Firefox 1; several articles on Firefox focusing on version numbers, rapid release, and enterprise.

    • Thunderbird Beta – Few articles 1, 2
    • Announcement re: Diginotar and *.google.com

Next up:

  • Scoping out branding and marketing research to help solidify our branding, market segments, and messaging.

  • Starting All Hands prep.

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • bug 656049 client.mk invoking client.py (via mozconfig) last patch approved!

  • working with gozer on bug 682078 – Tracking bug for unforking buildbotcustom
  • doing chemspill release builds today: 6.0.1, 3.1.13, 7.0b2

Web Update

This Week

  • Thunderbird 7 compatibility bump patch

  • fixing the issues with kitsune and maybe pushing it live
  • probably a half dozen issues that will come up

Documentation

  • 17 responses to (from us to them) to contributor inquiry form

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)
(on vacation Mon-Wed last week so no report last week)

  1. 1640 new support topics (1591 2 weeks ago) – Media:22-28August2011Metrics.png

  2. Thunderbird 6 Support Issues
  3. Thunderbird 7 Support Issuesnew! please edit and add any issues found in TB7 (currently beta 1), starting at beta 1 for TB7 and future releases
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Philipp’s last exams are next week, after that: Lightning speed ahead ;-)

  • Working on automatic beta releases together with Mark, tracking in bug 673089.

  • Transplanted all needed changesets between comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta. These are now near to in sync and comm-beta contains everything needed to release a beta-beta.
  • Working on getting trunk back to speed after ChromeWorkers were re-written bug 678343.

Previously proposed buglist from the discussion page is now on bugzilla, see the new needed-beta list, tentatively named so until its clear if we can make 1.0 for Thunderbird 7.

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-08-30


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • We are chemspilling for a security issue with the DigiNotar CA.

  • This means new versions of Firefox for desktop (3.6.21, 6.0.1, 7, 8, and 9) and mobile (6.0.1, 7, 8, and 9), Thunderbird (3.1.13, and 6.0.1) and SeaMonkey (2.3.2)
    • The impact on the old 3.6.21, now 3.6.22 schedule are TBD

Firefox Development

Firefox Developer Tools

  • Initial style inspector patch landed on fx-team. bug 582596, improvements incoming.

  • Console API storage patches landed.

Performance

  • Posted a thread to dev.platform on getting rid of dev.performance

  • Collection of general bugs related to Mobile Performance
  • Collection of bugs related to Mobile Startup

GFX

  • We think that OpenGL ES accelerated layer composition on Nightly builds for Android is ready to be tested by technical users.

    • There are still some known minor rendering glitches when pinch-zooming or panning; single frames are drawn at the wrong scale.

    • Apparently, Adreno-based handhelds (like the Nexus One) freeze when using GL-accelerated layers; maybe don’t try it on those phones.
    • To turn it on, set layers.acceleration.disabled to false and layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true in about:config, and restart your browser.

JS

  • Type Inference has landed!

    • This is Brian Hackett’s work + some help from contributor Jan de Mooij

    • 30% improvement on V8-v6 benchmark
    • Even more on Kraken, fast on lots of other stuff too
  • Formed the IonMonkey project team, already emailed about this

Layout

  • More 3D transforms stuff landed, some more to come before we can try turning it on by default (mattwoodrow)

    • Discovered an interesting regression on Facebook where they feed -webkit properties to any browser that Modernizr says supports 3D transforms :-(
  • Jonathan Kew persuaded some authors of TeX hyphenation dictionaries to relicense their dictionaries to be a bit more liberal, so we will ship dictionaries for some more languages
  • Team status:

    • dbaron: review hell, investigating mobile text resizing

    • dholbert: CSS3 flexbox
    • matspal, tnikkel: bug fixing
    • fantasai: getting started on page-break-*
    • jfkthame: bug fixing, patches for Graphite font support
    • jwatt: converting SVG code to use display lists and be more like other layout code
    • heycam: WebIDL, reworking SVG text to use CSS layout
    • smontagu: implementing <bdi> and unicode-bidi:isolate

Video

  • Team status:

    • doublec: bug fixing

    • kinetik: tidying up libcubeb sound library for review
    • karl: reviews, tuning the lighting in the Auckland office
    • cpearce: fixing remaining issues with fullscreen API (such as multiprocess support)
    • rgiles: starting on WebVTT subtitles
    • derf, jmvalin: Opus work, WebRTC standards discussion, WebRTC demo hacking
    • rjesup: WebRTC
    • roc: MediaStreams processing infrastructure

DOM

WebAPI

  • Progress on WebSMS (can now delete stored messages). Runs on Android and B2G

  • WebUSB is coming along on windows
  • Bent started working on WebTelephony. Will only run on B2G due to API limitations in Android

Network

Plugins

Mobile

  • Pre-honeycomb flash support (click to play) patches up. Bug 630007.

  • Webkit Honeycomb source are now available.

Accessibility

Multi-Process

Tree Management

Security

Stability Report

Socorro

  • ADUs Friday – Migration of blocklist (AMO) to new Data Center resulted in missing some ADUs (note the wacky numbers for Friday). The issue has corrected itself.

  • Duplicate Reports – Algorithm for dupes in Socorro probably needs follow up.
  • Missing Bug IDs in Socorro: Bug 681682

Desktop

Top Issues

Channels

  • Trunk – 9.0a1

    • Bug 682313 – Firefox 9.0a1 Crash [@ je_free | mozilla::ipc::windows::DeferredSettingChangeMessage::~DeferredSettingChangeMessage() ]

    • Bug 682916 – Firefox Crash [@ XPC_WN_NoHelper_Finalize ]
    • Bug 682974 – Resolved as duplicate of an earlier bug
  • Aurora
    • [@ RenderTargetStateHolder::PushToDevice(ID3D10Device*, CD3DSurface*) ] – appears as new signature but is the same user. Will file if volume increases.
  • Beta
    • Bug 680927 – Startup crash in mozcomp.dll with IBM Tivoli Access Manager

    • Bug 680921 – malware related

Other

Mobile

  • Naoki has a detailed report for Mobile – https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Fennec/crash_rep_29Aug2011.

  • Big issue – really not enough ADUs on Nightly and Aurora.
  • A few issues we need to get addressed ASAP
    • Still missing symbols for many of the mobile crashes – over 40% for 8a2 over 30% for 7 over 45% for release 6 – Bug 672287

    • Bug 679065 – empty report list returned for top crashes.
  • Crash Highlights
    • Fennec 9a1: at least 81.2 % of crashers are new (out of 186 crashes); Fennec 8 has a lot of new crashers as well.

    • Top crash in 6 & 7 – Bug 663494
    • Special crashkill meeting today at noon to talk about how to make these crashes more visible – isolate the high volume reproducible ones and get them in front of devs.

Roundtable

  • Blizzard contacting team leads for priorities and feature pages.

29-August-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2011-08-29


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-08-29.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

  • Henry Langi: All the great work he has been doing. Running all the brownbags and helping all the users.

  • Ed Morley for getting commit access and immediately diving into checkin-needed and merge duty.

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 29 August

Tuesday, 30 August

Wednesday, 31 August

Thursday, 1 September

  • Contribute Group meeting at 10 AM PDT (meeting info and agenda on wiki) — a forum for discussing issues around helping people get involved with Mozilla.
  • Interns Show & Tell at 1 PM PDT presentations by William Chen, Jezreel Ng, and Michael Kurze

Friday, 2 September

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Future (7, 8, 9)

  • Release trains continuing smoothly

  • Mitchell and Johnath both wrote posts about the rapid release process (and actually so have Jesse and Kairo, too)

Firefox Current (3.6, 6.0)

  • There will be a Firefox 3.6.21. Main goal is to backport Firefox 7 security fixes, will ship at the same time as Firefox 7

  • 3.6 EOL? No news to share on that yet. Assume we are sticking with the status quo (creating updates for 3.6) until told differently

Mobile Firefox

Thunderbird

  • Thunderbird 7 was released to Beta channels.

  • Thunderbird’s Channel Page is up.

Drumbeat

(no voice update this week)
What would you include in a “Webmaking 101″ course?

  • The School of Webcraft is designing a beginner’s “Webmaking 101″ course

  • The heart of the course will be a series of projects and learning challenges
  • Looking for feedback from MDN and broader Mozilla community on these draft challenges: http://webmaking101.p2pu.org/challenges
    • a) are these challenges good?

    • b) what’s missing? what else do you need to know to become an effective novice web developer?
  • Please post feedback as comments to this blog post

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details
Diane Loviglio, User Experience Researcher

On Web Apps – users describing web apps from apps field research

Video

John Slater, Director Creative

One Mozilla, The Merge

https://wiki.mozilla.org/One-Mozilla-Project

Join us on Thursday, Sept 1, for the retrospective & every Thursday afterwards for an update, Vidyo/All Your Base or #212

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution
WebQA
QA Community
Automation Services

Automation & Tools

  • Jmaher could use a hand diagnosing some leaks caused by the special powers refactor, please ping him on IRC

  • Talos Addons Testing system has moved into beta state, we have the full system from AMO site to specific addons talos staging pool working for testing.
  • Bugzilla now has inline history on by default for all users on BMO
  • GoFaster project has new web dashboards live
  • More notes are here

Security

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

  • Artur Adib: joining the Innovation team as a Software Engineer, managed by Bill Walker, located in Washington, DC.

  • Michael Edwards: joining the Research Engineering Team as a Sr. Software Engineer, managed by Andreas Gal, located in Mtn. View.
  • Erin Lancaster: joining the Engineering team as a Project Manager, managed by Sheila Mooney, located in Mtn. View.

Introducing New Interns

  • Matt McPherrin — Platform

  • Mohamed Dabbagh — QA
  • Trevor Fairey — Tools

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

24-August-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Mobile/Notes/24-Aug-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95346
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95346

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95346
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95346
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • vidyo: PB&J

Schedule

Next merge date is 2011-09-27

Major Topics for This Week

  • Move testing meeting into this meeting starting next week.

Application

Front-end

  • Welcome Sriram Ramasubramanian (sriram on IRC)

UX design

Platform Support

  • Read .platform newsgroup – [1]

Android

  • stover landed bug 680126 which improved tXUL by 12%

Maemo

  • Maemo’s last release with be FF7.

Performance

Testing

QA

  • Crash Rep Aug 22, 2011

  • Tracking bug 667927 and bug 668921 for beta 2
  • Testing for beta 1 completed and no issues to raise
  • uTest crowd source testing; will give more heads up and screening process in the works.
    • purpose was web site compatibility.

Test Suites

Test Automation

* xpcshell for android landed, ADB only
* landed changes to remove /etc/hosts from tegra devices, no more crashes
* churn on patches and tests related to specialPowers, i.e. stuff works in e10s better.

Release Engineering

android_tier_1

  • (fixed) bug 680561 – tegra proxy.flg set in wrong directory

    • could have caused various purples
  • bug 680138 – debug tegra reftests, crashtests
    • is it useful to run these without logcat for now?

    • all branches?
  • bug 679827 – mobile/* -> firefox/ ?
    • do we want this?

    • getting more space for mobile/tinderbox-builds may be the fastest solution. merging may be useful or confusing.
  • bug 680138 – android/maemo -> Firefox branch in graphs ?
    • can do at anytime if wanted

    • old data will stay on mobile branch, new data will go to firefox branch

Other

SUMO

  • Drafts for FF7 features out for review: change language, text selection, quit button and new device support

  • New community member annaxica to help answer forum questions (42 new threads last week, 13 unanswered)
  • New meetup group for Firefox for Android superheroes in SF

Android market FF6 comments (200); English-only:

Dissatisfiers FF6; 1 star ratings (44), week of August 16-22:

  • slow and unstable=13

  • no flash=12
  • freezes phone=2

Android market FF7 comments (200); English-only:

Dissatisfiers FF7; 1 star ratings (48), week of August 16-22:

  • slow=20

  • freezes phone=5
  • no flash=5
  • hogs resources=4

Notes from mw22 during Test Automation meeting

jmaher: hang in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=680190
jemalloc jimm chen
josh matthews

  • going through mochitests. Patches for Content/ done, now going through dom/. A lot of stuff needs to be converted to

specialpowers

  • if the tests are hanging, not going quick enough, they are

disabled for now

  • last day 2 september

  • who is going to take over? someone from A-team?

jmaher

  • xpcshell landed

  • SpecialPowers want to land, related to Josh stuff. set Prefs synchrounously
  • Refactoring specialpowers to get it working in Chrome. Getting leaks fixed
  • talos crash, workaround it? getinfo failure?
  • WaitForFocus patch works great, bug 670897
  • devicemanager adb, xpcshell, integrated into talos. Easier to

run talos on device without sutagent. Need to turn all the releng
tools, devicemanager

  • create remote talos option. To look into after talos has adb

device manager into it. Might want to get the sut tools deployed first

Triage list, 12 bugs:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=dorem&remaction=run&namedcmd=android_tier_1&sharer_id=279345&list_id=1164316

  • 676137 Something fixed it on trunk, mbrubeck

  • 678381 Intermittent OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:

‘browser_output.txt’ in Android remote-ts

Doug:

  • Building out 200 tegras, only support 2.2.

  • Ordering boards, that support 2.3, panda boards.
  • Tegra 2.2 is a dead end, I think

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Firefox/Planning/2011-08-24


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Brad to come back about master password blog post

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 6)

  • We shipped 6, and got ourselves a cake!

  • Discussions are underway about schedule for 3.6.21.
    • Ideal is to release it in parallel with FF7, but that is running up against some scheduling complexity with work weeks and such

Beta (7)

Aurora (8)

Nightly (9)

Two nice regression fixes:

Firefox Mobile

Release 6

Increase in installs, active users, and rating – see details below.

Beta 7

Aurora 8

Nightly 9

Firefox Sync

Nothing new to report this week.

Add-on Builder

Add-on SDK

Release (1.0)

  • 1.0 is not fully compatible with Firefox 7, so we will be repacking 1.0-based addons with 1.1

  • mossop to discuss repack planning with fligtar tomorrow

Stabilization (1.1)

  • fourth test build, 1.1b2, spun and distributed yesterday, Tuesday, August 23 (release announcement)

  • first release candidate, 1.1rc1, on schedule for next Tuesday, August 30
  • final release remains on schedule for Tuesday, September 13 (draft of release notes)

Development (1.2)

  • development continues apace

Input 4.3

  • ElasticSearch enabled by the end of September

  • Grouperfish stood up and integrated with Input by the end of September; To do list and documentation can be found on their Read the Docs home
  • Followed up with interested parties on Tell Us More triage; take-aways are that this will be a welcome addition to Input and we’ll need to have a team to do daily triage (resourcing is being worked on between Fx Proj Mgmt and QA)

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Firefox 6

Overview: It definitely felt smoother (especially extensions-wise) than Firefox 5. We anticipated almost everything and most extensions seemed to be up to date within 3-5 days.

(Well defined problems)

  • Java Console not compatible (1200+ on SUMO, 250 on input)

    • Are we sure we didn’t break some Java sites? Lots of complaints about games/work apps.
  • Extension compatibility (definitely better after three days compared to Fx5)
    • Selenium

    • IDM
    • Some comments (still) about AVG – their website has a version that works supposedly
    • Reload Every
  • Firefox not starting (probably the malware crash?) — Sending out emails
  • TypeError: Components.classes[cid] is undefined (may be one particular extension — maybe mcafee — or lots. ~50 on input, 300 on SUMO)
  • Chat Vibes toolbar — looks like malware-ish. People can’t get rid of it.
  • Lots of ideas around tab groups. http://input.mozilla.com/en-US/?q=tab+groups&product=firefox&version=6.0&date_start=2011-08-16&date_end=&sentiment=ideas
  • Lost bookmarks/passwords. (~30) Happens with every release, probably profile switching but we should get a handle on this.

(Less well defined)

  • Sync Tab disappearing because of an extension.

Firefox 7

  • Complaints about http missing (make it a pref?)

  • Can’t attach files in mobile me email
  • Extensions, extensions, extensions.™

Mobile

Android market FF6 comments (200); English-only:

Dissatisfiers FF6; 1 star ratings (44), week of August 16-22:

  • slow and unstable=13

  • no flash=12
  • freezes phone=2

Android market FF7 comments (200); English-only:

Dissatisfiers FF7; 1 star ratings (48), week of August 16-22:

  • slow=20

  • freezes phone=5
  • no flash=5
  • hogs resources=4

SUMO (42 new threads)

Major theme is confusion about & requests for device support

Regular requests:

  • Flash Player (118 votes)

  • Firefox for Nokia (105 votes)
  • Firefox for iPad (40 votes)
  • Firefox for HP Touchpad (new-37 votes)

Mobile SUMO article page views are back up to FF4 release level (11557).

FirefoxforAndroid@mozilla.com themes:

  • Facebook text entry, buttons, errors issues (3)

  • Android market continually downloading (2)
  • Android market shows Firefox, but isn’t compatible (3)

Input:

Firefox 6 Mobile: 173 issues

  • no flash=26

  • slow= 24
  • UI=15
  • zoom=8

Firefox 7 Mobile: 82 issues

  • no flash=12

  • slow=12
  • UI=5
  • text input=4
  • zoom=5

Forces HTC sense reload (2)

Double backspace (2)

UX & User Research

UX

UR

Mary T completed a heuristic evaluation on FireFox 5 on phone.
Ping her for results or visit: https://intranet.mozilla.org/images/a/a0/Mobile_heuristic_presentation.pdf.

New preview version of Mobile Test Pilot! (1.3pre3)

Download from http://people.mozilla.com/~jdicarlo/tpm.xpi

Please help test.

Market Insights

Desktop

No update for desktop today, but we’ll catch up next week.

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • Dolphin announced 9 million downloads and a partnership with Softbank, a Japanese carrier, in launching a 3D phone featuring the Dolphin HD browser
  • Opera launched a co-branded version of the Opera Mini browser with Vodafone Essar, India’s 3rd carrier by number of subscribers
  • The Android team announced that it will bring closer its development of the Android browser and Chrome by making available a slightly modified, open source Android browser port in Webkit.
  • Google has released a preview version of a Google TV plug-in for the Android SDK, after buying Motorola Mobility, an important player in the TV set-top box business
  • Microsoft filed a patent lawsuit against Motorola, which can act as a test for the protection that Motorola’s patents can provide to Android handset makers, which was the main reason declared for Google’s acquisition last week
  • HP announced that it will discontinue efforts for the hardware of its Web OS devices and focus on the platform development, which it hopes to license to other hardware makers
  • Frequent mobile Internet users are happier with their mobile operator, as consumers perceive that the quality of their experience on the device is linked to the quality of service provided by their mobile operator, a survey by On Device Research from April reports.

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Questions, Comments, FYI

Actions this week

23-August-2011

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2011-08-23


« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • None this time.

    • Please note A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • Jtek has volunteered to oversee the details of the SeaMonkey tee-shirt shop. KaiRo has forwarded the Zazzle contact to jtek and Jeff is following up.

  • We should find a better way of getting nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • We could put out a call for nominations the week before then, at the time of the meeting notice going out we could include any nominations (We need to come up with a quick FAQ as to what merits a nomination). IanN has put out an email to the members list. InvisibleSmiley came up with some sensible suggestions.

    • We need to advertise such a thing happens even if it is only in the meeting notice.

CLOSED

K.I.V.

  • Get permission from Google to use their geolocation JSON service [KaiRo]. We can still only wait on the Google front right now.

    • KaiRo has heard that Google is doing a revamp of their location service, maybe they’ll finally make it available publicly so we can use it. [InvisibleSmiley says:] According to Bug 677256 |Migrate to Google Location Service v2| this is still FF only :-(

Release Train

  • Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).

    • Patch needs updating.
  • 2.3 shipped on 16th August.
  • 2.3.1 probably shipping today (23rd August.) depending on available resources.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley, with help from some community members like DERoss.

    • Recent changes can be found here.
  • AMO has versions of Engimail and Lightning compatible with 2.3 now. :-)
  • The latest Firebug is now fully compatible but still not flagged as such on AMO (which seems to depend on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side, see Issue 4430)
  • Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
  • InvisibleSmiley created a 2.1 FAQ Wiki page. Everybody please help update it.
    • The FAQ should be version-agnostic and have version updates mentioned in it so Jens or whoever won’t need to keep changing the version numbers.
  • KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.
  • The whole FAQ/AddonCompat information needs to be re-thought with versions in mind but InvisibleSmiley lacks the time to do it. It’s a wiki so we can try to offload it. Ratty suggests involving imput from seamonkey-members and/or mozilla.support.seamonkey.
  • There are a lot of TODOs here. Is someone going to own this and drive this forward?
    • Need InvisibleSmiley to send out an email/posting to ask for help from @members.

    • mcsmurf will help out with the FAQ.

SeaMonkey 2.2

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (26)

  • The New 2.2 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.

  • AUS updates from (2.0 -> 2.2 and 2.1 -> 2.2):
    • 2.1->2.2 is a minor update and should be online as automatic already.

    • 2.0->2.2 is a major update (MU) and is online now, too.
  • 2.2 peaked at ~62900 ADU on 16th August, 228128 downloads so far.
    • vs. 43963 on 2.0 (and 2791 on 2.1). So another ~3k have migrated in the one week up to 16th August.
  • The release notes now mention / provide a link to fixed security issues in Firefox in order to support our mantra that you need to install updates to stay secure. We might want to add a dedicated page for SM, though. [InvisibleSmiley says:] I think there is one now.

Follow-ups and Issues

  • Lost Bookmarks bug 673474 and Cookies bug 673672 on auto-update from 2.0.14 to 2.2.

    • Bookmarks can be re-imported from bookmarks.html.
  • Users are unhappy about various UX and usability issues with the new Data Manager.
    • Ratty proposes that until all the major pain points are addressed, links to the old individual managers be established (probably from the various Data Manager panes).
  • [InvisibleSmiley] We need to try harder to fix regressions ASAP. I feel there is still too much delay. IMO regressions from the last stable version need to be addressed with top priority, especially in light of the rapid release train.

SeaMonkey 2.3

open tracking (4)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (1)
fixed (19)

  • The New 2.3 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.

  • 2.3 had ~48200 ADU yesterday, ~49400 downloads so far.
    • vs. 19856 on 2.2.(with 43467 on 2.0 and 2534 on 2.1). So another ~8k have migrated to 2.2 or above in the last two weeks.

Schedule:

  • Shipped on time (August 16)!

  • Users on 2.2 were updated to 2.3 at release time. Anyone on beta channel was updated to 2.3 already.
  • We are on track for 2.3.1 with a fix for an update issue.
    • [InvisibleSmiley asks:] What about the upgrade path from 2.0, especially in light of 2.0.15?

    • 2.0.15 was determined to not be needed, will simply refresh the update from 2.0.14 -> 2.3.1 [Callek says] Still needs a brief test.
  • the Install Requirements page is still for 2.1 so unfortunately it’s not up-to-date regarding Mac yet (bug 677149)
    • InvisibleSmiley is working on this in bug 680740 (Reorganize documentation structure).

Follow-ups and Issues

  • ewong says “On one of the systems at work 2.0 upgraded 2.2 and not 2.3. It offered only 2.2.” ewong to file a bug cc Callek.

  • werwolf reports that there are still no Spanish Es-Ar help files, only English for several releases.
    • RickieES will contact the es-AR people to offer them the es-ES files.

Further 2.x scheduling

  • Callek will spin 2.4b1 along with Firefox 7.0b2. We are not sure yet when they’ll make the GO for that.

  • SeaMonkey 2.4 is due out towards the end of September (27th) or perhaps early October depending on Firefox and our resources.
  • Please help updating the New 2.4 Features page as we go.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 54 new, 27 fixed, 23 triaged.

  • New bugs seem to be outstripping fixed/triaged but still a good amount of triaging going on.

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags:
32 review
12 super-review
0 ui-review
6 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

Active

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object. [serge]
  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].
    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.5 but will probably be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.

    • IanN is still unpicking Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs.
  • de-RDF bug 654864 has been finished and landed on all development branches, including comm-beta (2.3). Still to do:
    • Neil wanted to follow up on some listener issues

    • for the selection issue, see what the TB guys come up with in bug 669203
  • bug 515734 Provide More Entries in the Win7 Jumplist Tasks list. [Callek].
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (–disable-tests). Still a lot to do.

    • IanN will see if he can help get builds working with --enable-tests.

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
    • Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 “Reply to List” [button/(context) menu item]

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

asrail

Callek

Released:

Fixed:

  • bug 679677 Add more app.update.certs.* possibilities to SeaMonkey.

Working on:

  • bug 679705 (SM2.3.1) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.3.1.

Needs updated patch:

  • bug 653424 need to add comm-2.0 and releases/comm-{aurora,beta} to MXR.

  • bug 673834 Obsolete ReleaseRepackFactory, fold logic into CCReleaseRepackFactory.

ToDo:

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 675672 – “NS_ERROR_DOM_NOT_FOUND_ERR” when hovering certain items in Go menu
  • Checkin-needed:

  • Needs Review:

    • bug 513900 – executable permissions for data files (port bug 461322 to SeaMonkey)

    • bug 670561 – show profile path in profile manager.
  • Working On:

    • bug 78357 – Account wizard doesn’t have place to enter port info

    • bug 675589 – Group all session restore menu items together.
  • Investigating:

    • bug 13818 – Ability to change the “quoteline”

    • bug 16717 – Disable source folder in Move/Copy/File menus
    • bug 39113 – Show current profile name in preferences (backed out)
    • bug 513900 – executable permissions for data files (port bug 461322 to SeaMonkey)
    • bug 527173 – Spellchecker settings are in the Mail section but the SP is used by all components
    • bug 620324 – Selected multiple mail folders to move, but only one folder gets moved
  • BackBurner:

    • bug 649952 – Port |Bug 609824 – Re-add Bloglines to the feed reader options| to SeaMonkey

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 671554 Switch suite/mailnews to use Services.prompt

    • bug 678945 Remove duplicate InitPrompts function and only load mail-offline.js
    • bug 675607 Make Composer use utilityOverlay’s key_close and menu_close
    • bug 676836 Remove code duplication for print menus by moving them to utilityOverlay
    • bug 680507 Remove duplicated keys from messengercompose
    • bug 680511 Consolidate checkspelling key into editorOverlay.xul
    • bug 680526 Consolidate key_save into editorOverlay.xul
    • bug 680750 Move paste as quotation label/accesskey to command in editorOverlay.xul
    • bug 672772 Bump Chatzilla compatibility for SeaMonkey 2.5 / Firefox 8.0
    • bug 672774 Bump Venkman compatibility for SeaMonkey 2.5 / Firefox 8.0 / Thunderbird 8.0
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js

    • bug 674942 Mailnews part of cookie code still gets built as MOZ_MAIL_NEWS is not configured correctly
    • bug 680805 Share edit menus between Composer, Plain Text Editor and Messenger Compose
    • bug 680890 Make more use of mailOverlay in mail composition window
    • bug 680936 Fold mailMessengerComposeOverlay.xul into messengercompose.xul
    • bug 680945 Fold mailMessengerOverlay.xul into mailWindowOverlay.xul
  • Waiting for additional review on:
    • bug 21432 Implement Print Preview and Print Setup / Page Setup as in the browser

    • bug 212165 Unable to access advanced link properties of a linked image
    • bug 676991 Move toolbar print button to utilityOverlay
  • Test created and checked in – looking at a bug fix:
  • Working on:
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition

    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.

InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 666873 Modern theme – icons missing in Add-on manager

    • bug 679773 Replace custom helpers with Services.jsm (Port bug 648364)
    • bug 678756 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.3 Final release
    • bug 674445 Create/Update 2.3 Release Notes
    • bug 677147 Update SeaMonkey website for changes to release mirrors
    • bug 672561 “awDocumentKeyPress is not defined” when opening Mailing List dialog [New List]
    • bug 677539 Bookmarking group of tabs greyed out after restart with session restore
    • bug 676779 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.3 Beta 3 release
  • Working On:

    • bug 678833 Update review and flags rules and clarify moa policy for SeaMonkey MailNews patches

    • bug 677149 Update System Requirements page to identify OS X Lion (10.7) for the proper release

KaiRo

  • We ran into an interesting certificate problem with SeaMonkey updates (bug 679677) – who would have thought that clamping the possibilities of issuers to one of the largest ones would cause a problem when that wouldn’t issue any certificates any more? We’ll need a very fast 2.3.1 release to get enough users of 2.1 and higher updated to a version that still will accept any updates in the future. Callek is working on that. Websites:

  • I did an experimental implementation of a BrowserID login on my website system, still need to do more testing and some additional features like creating website accounts with it as well, but this looks promising.
  • I also updated SeaMonkey Bug Radars for the rapid release cycle and they are mostly correct now, but apparently one more bug is left for the tracking ones.

And on the SeaMonkey Development website as well, I added support for 2.6 and 2.7 version to ADU and downloads graphs in the metrics section.

  • I updated the EarlyBlue and LCARStrek themes for changes in the last two SeaMonkey and Firefox releases locally, but I still need to do some testing before I can release those.

  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps – both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.

mcsmurf

Misak

Fixed a Session Restore bug on trunk, keeping it in sync with FF:

  • bug 677873 Port relevant parts of [bug 646641 If a document has multiple history entries (either by pushstate or anchor navs) only the last one is hooked into bfcache]

Supporting Seamonkey russian user community.

Mnyromyr

MReimer

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 361495 Advanced Property Editor should “propose” values.

  • bug 401552 Returning from fullscreenmode with minimized toolbar, bookmark-bar and menu-bar produces 5 instead of 3 “grip” buttons.
  • bug 680280 Tools -> Web Search does nothing when the sidebar is displayed.

Needs checkin:

  • bug 669203 directoryTreeView shouldn’t alter selection when an address book is added/removed from places other than the address book.

Needs updated patch:

  • bug 136556 Image title should use “×”, not “x”.

Working on:

  • bug 531540 Adding images to a page got “dumber” with this release.

WORKSFORME?:

  • bug 667962 jemalloc in 2010 doesn’t work on gmake.

Ratty

Updated my SeaMonkey Ports Project page with some modified Firefox extensions contributed by Mozillazine users (dragdropupload 1.9.38, Firesizer 1.4, Secure Login 0.9.9pre, Greasemonkey 0.9.7).

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

sgautherie

stefanh

Worked on bug 677667 [Mac default] Make use of the new nsNativeTheme toolbarbutton styling in DM and PageInfo.

tonymec

  • FIXED

    • bug 677905 Add menuitem to “show all body parts” (followup to bug 564423, port bug 602718)

      • 2.5-fixed before central → aurora merge, 2.4-wontfix

      • Don’t know what to do about testing: auto? litmus? none?
      • wfm on L64 but I suppose someone else should VERIFY?
  • Stalled (assigned to nobody@ — up for any takers)
    • bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey

      • Need coaching in the Mozilla source maze.

Any other business?

  •  ?

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-08-23


last meeting | index | next meeting »

(current release schedules returning soon)

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> sancus

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
  • bwinton sent mockups of the final flow to various third parties.

  • bwinton doesn’t have enough time to actually get the patch written on schedule, and so has asked Protz for help driving it home.
OpenSearch
Test Pilot

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations

Andrew back from vacations, need to update my gloda patches. Lot of telemetry work happening:
– I patched the about:telemetry extension to make it work with Thunderbird,
– sent an email to the metrics team, they confirmed we would be able to aggregate the data by date,
– I plan on pushing a patch to toolkit so that we have our own gloda sections in the telemetry reports,
– I have an email ready to go asking our testing community to enable telemetry reporting (as soon as about:telemetry is approved).
Once all of that is done, I plan on letting the stats accumulate for a couple weeks, then land the gloda patches, and compare the results.

Auto-resizing iframe review pending, probably won’t get r+ until a few cycles.

Started writing mozmill tests for Thunderbird Conversations.

Compose in a tab
Account Summary
Ubuntu Unity Integration
  • Keeping an eye out for show-stoppers, major problems – but so far, so good.

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 6
  • released!
Thunderbird 7
  • beta builds done and on FTP except for 4 locales, waiting on Standard8
Thunderbird 8
Thunderbird 9
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • The 3.1 series is going to keep going while we discuss how to work with enterprise users. Once there’s a way forward there, we’ll close down the 3.1 branch.

Extension of the week

  • Auto Address cleaner Let’s you send emails without sending the comments stored in your address book. Very useful if you have a lot of address entries with comments.

QA Updates

Marketing Updates

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • jhopkins back from vacation

  • Thunderbird 6.0
    • Major updates in *test channels
  • Thunderbird 7.0b1
  • Mozmill now in-tree

Web Update

Documentation

  • 17 responses to (from us to them) to contributor inquiry form

Support

Lightning Updates

Philipp has been very busy with exams, therefore work has slowed a bit, but:

  • Summer of Code is now over, I’d say it has been a success for calendar!

  • Tree situation has yet to be solved, I’m on it.
  • Working on providing a build for Tb7.0b1

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-08-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Platform/2011-08-23


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • We shipped firefox 6 last week (and yes, we received a cake)

  • Migrations went according to plan on beta and aurora, and updates are now out for those users
  • Legnitto out this week – poke johnath if needed
  • Discussion in rel-drivers about 3.6.21 schedule – should settle down this week (trying to manage the overlap of 3.6.x, FF7 release, moco work week and QA team work week)

Firefox Development

  • Dao Gottwald and Tim Taubert have been doing excellent work chasing down DOMWindow leaks in bug 658738 (and dependencies)

Firefox Developer Tools

  • Orion editor landed for use in Scratchpad (and future tools), disabled on Aurora.

  • Enabled on mozilla-central to get feedback on issues raised in the dev-apps-firefox thread.
  • Weekly meetings have been moved to Thursdays at 10am.

Performance

GFX

  • Support for antialiasing in WebGL may land soon! bug 615976

JS

  • jsdbg2 bug 672829 has landed.

    • Congrats to Jason Orendorff and Jim Blandy!

    • This is the new debugging API for JS.
    • It will make debuggers more robust and enable new capabilities (e.g., eventually, remote debugging).
  • Brian Hackett’s type inference branch is landing soon (1-2 weeks).

    • Looking pretty good, so not too worried

    • We do have a backup plan in place: Brian will be maintaining a TI-free branch on the side.
  • JS runtimes (class JSRuntime) are going to become single-threaded soon.

    • Luke will add assertions that fire if you use a runtime in a multithreaded manner.

    • There are still a few MT usages left in the browser (e.g., bug 679036 ), so we’ll turn on those asserts only when they are cleared away.

Layout

  • Mats Palmgren has a patch about to land that changes the way we iterate through frame child lists to a more efficient and maintainable approach. This may cause some bit-rot in pending layout patches.

  • Mats landed support for text-overflow:<left> <right> (different markers for the left and right sides of an overflowing block).
  • Josh Aas has a patch to move ownership of plugins from frames to content to fix bugs like “display:none plugins don’t work”. This is getting close to done. We’ll need to monitor its progress carefully because it’s a scary, regression-prone area. The good news is that another >10 year old architectural botch is going away!
  • New Auckland office rocks!
  • Zzzz

Video

  • Paul Adenot (intern) implemented “played” and “seekable” media element attributes.

DOM

  • Event properties (foo.onclick etc) changing to be defined in IDL bug 659350 (bz)

WebAPI

  • Mounir is working on WebSMS. Is able to send SMS messages and get notified when they are sent, as well as get notifications about incoming SMS messages. Will link to draft of API once we have it. Patches in bug 674725

  • Kevin Gadd is working on WebUSB on Windows. We can only get full support on Windows 7 for now (and possibly forever) due to platform limitations in driver handling.
  • There’s a first draft of API for WebTelephony
  • Lots of discussions about security model
  • Camera work is happening in other teams

Network

  • [Patrick McManus] SPDY implementation is progressing nicely.

  • [Nick Hurley] Continuing to expand NeckoNet capabilities. New version coming soon (with a ready-to-use Linux VM) which will allow testing from Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X.

Plugins

  • Fix for content ownership of plugins is in review. All tests pass, no known problems. Hopefully it can land within a week.

  • There is a new “plugin hang” crash where the Firefox (nightly) process stops responding and the plugin process therefore commits suicide. There are some false positives being investigated.

Mobile

Accessibility

Multi-Process

Tree Management

  • Update on Tinderbox mail delay

    • Maximum delay we are seeing has been cut in half (~8 hours -> ~4h), and spans a shorter period of time.

    • IT improved performance on the Tinderbox server in bug 676822 – no longer I/O bound
    • Turning off mail for the Try branch cut down load by a lot. bug 679589
    • New TBPL is still in the process of being put into production, now taken over by Web Dev bug 669000, no ETA at this time.
  • Network issues last week caused a bunch of Windows machines to get into a hung state, causing long wait times for some jobs.
    • Now fixed, wait times back to normal.

    • Improved monitoring tracked in bug 681111

Security

Reviews this week

Wed:

  • Wed. 24-Aug, 1:00 PM PDT

  • 3O – ORLY

SourceMap – https://wiki.mozilla.org/DevTools/Features/SourceMap

Thur:

  • Thur. 25-Aug, 15:00 PDT

  • 3P – PB&J

Intern Project for DNSSec

Fri:

  • Fri. 26-Aug 1:00 PM PDT

  • 3P – PBJ

SecReview: (double review) Web Activities & F1/Share

  1. ) Web Activities

    1. component of the broader Open Web Applications project

    2. https://github.com/mozilla/openwebapps/blob/master/docs/ACTIVITIES.md
  2. ) F1 retooled version of the link sharing service we looked at in May (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Reviews/F1)
    1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/F1

    2. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/F1/Roadmap
    3. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Services/F1/Design
    4. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Privacy/Reviews/F1

Common Meeting Information


Agenda:

  • Introduce Feature (5-10 minutes) [can be answered ahead of time to save meeting time]

    • Goal of Feature, what is trying to be achieved (problem solved, use cases, etc)

    • What solutions/approaches were considered other than the proposed solution?
    • Why was this solution chosen?
    • Any security threats already considered in the design and why?
  • Threat Brainstorming (30-40 minutes)
  • Conclusions / Action Items (10-20 minutes)

Meeting Details:

  • IRC Channel: #security

  • Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview
  • Dial-in Info:
    • In office or soft phone: extension 92

    • US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
    • Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
    • Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
    • Conference num 624

Stability Report

Desktop

Socorro

  • Next release is 2.3. No ETA but we are working with the Socorro team to clarify our priorities and see what can get in.

Channels

Trunk 9.0a1

  • Bug 680862 was a rather high volume regression yesterday and was fixed by backout. Comment 28 in the bug indicates it was visible in tests, but because the color was purple instead of red it was ignored.

  • Bug 681385 – Plugin Trunk regression that started with 20110817 build.

Aurora & Beta

Other

  • Malware/Extension Related

    • Bug 637596 – Rising on 6.0. Exploded from 300 – 1500 crashes in the span of a day…could be site related.

    • Bug 681378 – Yandex Bar
    • Bug 681378 – security.dll
    • Bug 680274 – Spike in Both 5 and 6 and correlated to Norton
  • A few other things we are tracking…

Mobile

  • https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Fennec/crash_rep_22Aug2011

    • bug 671960 seems to be resolved in 6; was close to 40 % of crashes in 5

    • biggest bug in 6 and 7 seems to be bug 663494
    • still a lot of crashes with no signatures in 8, 7, 6, 5
    • Fennec 9a1 added; at least 81.2 % of crashers are new (out of 186 crashes); Fennec 8 has a lot of new crashers as well
    • 9 and 8 seem to be crashing due to graphic related issues

Roundtable

  • Announcing mozilla-history, a git repo containing *all* of our code history (ehsan)

  • Switch the Geolocation provider end point to their new service. If you see anything funny, file bugs (dougt)

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress