Meeting Notes

30-November-2011

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2011-11-29


« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • Tonymec nominates not only Callek, but most especially ashish, phong, dustin, rbryce, digipengi and anyone else from Server Ops. who helped solve bug 695278 “SeaMonkey Buildbot master and many slaves inaccessible.”

      • IanN nominates Callek to pass on our thanks (and do we have any fish tank stickers to send them?).

      • No, so mcsmurf will send a mail message to them instead.
    • Please note A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • IanN to write the “Friends of the Fish Tank” F.A.Q.

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

(see 2011-11-01 status meeting notes for details)

  • “What Happened?”

    • One XServe that hosts “Parallels” in Mozilla died, taking down with it all the data it housed. (There were two problems to appear here)
  • “What does this mean for our Release”

    • We missed one planned beta because of this and only released beta 4 when FF/TB 8 were released. 2.5 final was only released together with FF 8.0.1.
  • “Where do we stand with the machine(s) right now?”

    • bug 702490 (Rack 2 – 1U mac mini chassis(4 Mini’s) in SCL2 for SeaMonkey).

      • These won’t be racked until emux can get power situated at SCL2.
    • bug 673972 (iX hardware repairs) FIXED.
  • bug 695278 SeaMonkey Buildbot master and many slaves inaccessible FIXED.
    • This bug is marked FIXED now due to the fact that IT’s direct work here is basically over, all VM’s are technically accessible, Callek brought up them after this xserve and Parallels was fixed. Callek is currently working on finishing bringing up the linux32, which will get copied over to the other linux VM’s for the parallels (in a different bug). And we’ll also get backups created for all these VM types in a different bug as well.
  • The SeaMonkey tree is missing the Windows build boxes. We possibly need to get a call logged on the missing box(es) and cc Callek on it.
  • The tree status is currently OPEN and un-METERED.

Release Train

  • Get comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).

    • Corey Shields [:cshields] Jake Maul [:jakem] from Server Ops has taken over the bug from Callek.
  • 2.5b4 shipped 9th November.
  • 2.5 final shipped 22nd November (based on FF 8.0.1).
  • 2.6b1 shipped 23rd November.
  • The next six-weekly merge will be on 20th December.
    • Firefox has decided against putting the release of that day on automatic update until after Christmas. Callek is thinking of doing the same for SeaMonkey. (Firefox Mobile will go full-speed as they cannot do otherwise, but with the small population there, the risk is lower).

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley, with help from some community members like DERoss.

    • The ACR has been updated.

    • Recent changes can be found here.
    • [InvisibleSmiley:] The External Sources part is still TODO, help appreciated.
  • Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page)
  • Lightning currently provides versions for the current stable release (AMO), Aurora and trunk (both FTP) and Beta (Calendar Versions page).
  • The latest Firebug is now fully compatible but still not flagged as such on AMO (which seems to depend on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side, see Issue 4430)
    • [InvisibleSmiley] Use Firebug 1.9 pre-releases for 2.4 and later (maybe even earlier SM versions; haven’t checked)
  • Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
  • InvisibleSmiley still needs help updating and maintaining the FAQ Wiki page. Everybody please help update it, so it stays current. mcsmurf says he’ll help.
  • KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.
  • We need to get the Addon Compatibility page finished and better communicate how to keep Lightning and Enigmail updated since unfortunately the only versions provided on AMO are for the current stable release. People keep coming back reporting that e.g. Lightning stopped working on trunk, Aurora or Beta. But since it contains binary components, Lightning easily breaks if you don’t retrieve the matching install file yourself.

We should also add some information on this to the release notes of future betas.

  • If an extension supports 2.8a1, list it under 2.7 which will be a full release when it comes out. IanN should file a bug on the release notes change then we won’t forget about it.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • 2.5 had ~36,000 ADU by last Thursday and 2.5 has had ~40,000 downloads so far.

    • Of the released versions, as of last Thursday, we have 19.0% on 2.0, 1.2% on 2.1, 3.4% on 2.2, 4.2% on 2.3, 41.4% on 2.4 and 30.7% on 2.5. So, in the last two weeks, ~5k (an additional 4.4% of ADU) have migrated to 2.4 or above.
  • Figure out what is preventing people from moving from 2.0.x to the latest versions.
    • Perhaps putting resources into getting certain extensions working with SM2.4 and above.

    • Still need volunteers to look at what is keeping people at below 2.4. IanN could try knocking something up and send it round members lists for polishing but he’s not on all the channels (mozillazine, etc) to post it to when finished.
    • There has been some movement from 2.0 but ADU are down (across all versions due to the long Thanksgiving weekend in the US) so IanN wouuld like to wait a few more weeks before cheering that.

2.x Follow-ups and Issues

Moved to a separate page.

2.5

open tracking (1)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (31)

  • One tracked issue still open. If not resolved or no response by then, Callek plans to morph this into removing |ka| from our [current] automation entirely (all-locales).

  • The New 2.5 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.

2.Next

  • Please make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when we to do a release we can be sure that we don’t miss anything.

    • Priority should be given to fixing regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.

    • Be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.
  • Remember to help update the New Features pages as we go along.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 32 new, 11 fixed, 43 triaged.

  • Good triaging effort! :-)

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags:
30 review
14 super-review
0 ui-review
7 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

Active

  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.6 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.

    • IanN will need to poke some people about reviews not happening quickly enough.
    • IanN is still wading through the unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs. After that he will be reworking his customising patches.
  • de-RDF bug 654864 has been finished and landed on all development branches, including 2.3. Remaining issues have been fixed:
    • Neil wanted to follow up on some listener issues. This has been addressed in bug 669203.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (–disable-tests). Still a lot to do.

    • IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
      • Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.
  • Real full-screen (bug 610509) and DOM full-screen (bug 701714)
    • patches provided by Mnyromyr and InvisibleSmiley.
  • Port HTML5 “context menu” feature (contextmenu attribute) UI (bug 702019)
    • fixed for 2.8, approval requested for 2.7 and 2.6

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].

    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object. [serge]
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
    • Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 “Reply to List” [button/(context) menu item]
  • bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

asrail

Callek

Completed Release Engineering tasks:

  • bug 698916 Danish localization of SeaMonkey.

  • bug 703904 (SM2.5) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.5 Final Release.

Working on:

  • bug 591848 SeaMonkey linux and Windows machines need device support for sound enabled.

  • bug 702337 Stop uploading try symbols to symbol server, upload full symbol package to ftp.
  • bug 703876 (SM2.6b1) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.6 Beta 1.
  • bug 704814 (SM2.6b2) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.6 Beta 2.

Investigating OS/2 packaging issue in:

  • bug 705821 Seamonkey fails to update DOM Inspector.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 608103 – Message Display panel clipped on Windows 7

    • bug 678979 – Remove README.txt from release packages
  • Checkin-needed:
  • Try:

    • bug 670561 – show profile path in profile manager.

    • bug 702297 – Recently Closed Tabs/Windows in the Go menu are no longer disabled when empty
  • Needs Review:

    • bug 78357 – Account wizard doesn’t have place to enter port info

    • bug 102275 – Number untitled pages. (sr)
    • bug 682537 – Don’t remove jemalloc lib when building with MOZ_MEMORY
    • bug 701683 – Port |bug #698248 – Remove FORCE_USE_PIC| to SeaMonkey
  • Working On:

    • bug 675589 – Group all session restore menu items together.
  • BackBurner:

    • bug 649952 – Port |Bug 609824 – Re-add Bloglines to the feed reader options| to SeaMonkey

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js

    • bug 702013 Update en-GB for Firefox 9.0/Thunderbird 9.0/SeaMonkey 2.6 (9 patches)
    • bug 702098 Update en-GB for Firefox 10.0/Thunderbird 10.0/SeaMonkey 2.7 (9 patches)
  • Waiting for additional review on:
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Working on:
    • bug 695842 Move Editor startup/shutdown functions to editingOverlay

    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.

InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 688953 Create/Update 2.5 Release Notes

    • bug 704016 Enable View Source for .eml files and port |bug 550478 – Attached .eml – Other Actions –> View Source – only shows body|
    • bug 703905 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.5 Final release
    • bug 703884 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.6 Beta 1 release
    • bug 702800 Port |bug 700854 – {Media,Image,Video}Document should reference an external stylesheet for use in styling their contents|
    • bug 702792 Port |bug 700201 – Addons that haven’t been updated for an extremely long time should not be compatible by default|
    • bug 702155 Bump Venkman compatibility for SeaMonkey 2.8 / Firefox 11.0 / Thunderbird 11.0
    • bug 702154 Bump Chatzilla compatibility for SeaMonkey 2.8 / Firefox 11.0
    • bug 702019 Port UI parts of |bug 617528 – implement the HTML5 “context menu” feature (contextmenu attribute)|
    • bug 700899 Port |bug 193281 – Ability to import/save e-mail messages from .eml text files to folders (Message|Copy)|
    • bug 690381 Add documentation for Sync
  • Working On:

    • bug 701714 Add support for DOM full-screen

    • look into bug 698038 Update Preferences help for the new section to control crash report submission.
    • track bug 687316 (Remaining) Sync changes to port to Suite

KaiRo

  • Helped Edmund get commit access (bug 702072).

  • Reviewed two c-c build system patches (bug 696455, bug 696572) that nobody else wanted to review.
  • Uploaded 2.5 versions of EarlyBlue and LCARStrek to AMO, which are also reviewed now.
  • Started work on the 2.6 versions of those themes, which match the new betas of SeaMonkey and Firefox, and should have most of that work done already, so I hope that this time I can get reviewed themes out around the actual release of the browser versions.
  • Applied some small fixes to those 2.6 versions, based on testing and review feedback.
  • Finally applied the central->aurora uplift from last time to the de repo, adding all L10n needed for Aurora in core and SeaMonkey before that.
  • Localized all outstanding strings in -central for core and SeaMonkey as well, so that SeaMonkey turned green on all trees.
  • Updated DOM Inspector for the German L10n to be in sync with the originals strings.
  • Fixed some typos in the German L10n (bug 705123, bug 669496), as well as SeaMonkey addressbook accesskeys once again (bug 669150).
  • As usual, my blog has more detailed status about my activities, and Mozilla Status Board Posts also tell about my next planned steps – both including my non-SeaMonkey Mozilla work as well.

mcsmurf

Check-in needed:

  • bug 705141 Fix silly typos in SuiteBrowser.manifest.

Misak

Working on:

  • bug 698276 Port bug 686065 [Don’t clear nsSessionStartup::sessionType after the session startup phase finished].

Check-in needed:

  • bug 700144 Port bug 640136 [onchange & input events are not fired for all form elements on restore]

Mnyromyr

Working on:

  • bug 127399 Allow sending emails with IDN based email addresses.

  • bug 610509 Make fullscreen mode really fullscreen.

MReimer

Working on bug 697799 Add Opera API for adding sidebars from websites.

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 669203 directoryTreeView shouldn’t alter selection when an address book is added/removed from places other than the address book.

Working on:

  • bug 667962 jemalloc in 2010 doesn’t work on gmake.

  • bug 669026 Scrolling with arrow keys is broken if any element on the page has contenteditable=true.
  • bug 692731 Fork nsISidebar.
  • bug 698217 Simplify new static Preference methods.
  • bug 703522 Simplify focus-restoring code.
  • bug 705553 Make mailnews/addrbook compile with frozen linkage on Windows.
  • bug 705573 Make mailnews compile with frozen linkage on debug Windows.

Ratty

Done:

Working on:

  • bug 703836 MsgComposeCommands.js Code cleanup: Use Services more, reuse code, and remove commented dumps.

Waiting for review/feedback:

  • bug 701428 Include hyphenation dictionaries in omnijar – remove old files from builds on update.

  • bug 701432 Add support for fave icons on jump list uri entries.

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

sgautherie

  • Fixed (or in-progress) MailNews Core bugs:

    • bug 696455 Port |Bug 680373 – Link jemalloc to mozutils instead of mozalloc on Android| to comm-central

    • bug 696572 Port |Bug 681588 – Cleanup wrap malloc and its use on Android| to comm-central
    • bug 611233 Improve (null) checks in nsImapService.cpp
  • Fixed Core bugs:
    • bug 632433 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-chrome: permanent “test_autocomplete2.xul | [SimpleTest/SimpleTest.js, window.onerror] An error occurred – …” and others, caused by bug 611653

Stanimir

stefanh

Working on bug 677667 [Mac default] Make use of the new nsNativeTheme toolbarbutton styling in DM and PageInfo.

tonymec

Any other business?

  • Need to review project areas

    • IanN has put out a final draft of the project areas list, and will then confirm that anyone who is not in the loop already has been consulted.

      • There are two items that need answering still in the areas. IanN will remind people about what still needs answering.
  • Extended Support Releases (ESR)
    • At the moment looks like that will be based off Gecko 10 so that will be 2.7 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.7.

    • Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability “extended” fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
    • An ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer what MoCo’s general plans for their marketing/target/support levels etc. are.
    • mcsmurf needs to talk to the ESR mailing list guy(?) again. He wrote a mail to be added to the mailing list, but heard nothing back (they have their own mailing list for ESR issues).
  • Geolocation
    • Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.

    • For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", "https://www.google.com/loc/json"); to browser-prefs.js. However we’re not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.
  • Several people caught colds after going to EU MozCamp in Berlin, possibly due to the weather.
  • Christmas We are coming up to Christmas, and there is a meeting scheduled for 27th December. IanN proposes that that one is cancelled. This means that we’ve got one on 13th December then the next one will be 10th January 2012.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-11-29


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Roland

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
OpenSearch
Test Pilot
  • First study (“A Week in the Life of a Mail Client”) ready to go onto index-tb-dev.json; just waiting for Jono to merge it.
Folder/Account Summary
  • Nearing release of version 2.0 of the add-on

    • Post about this on Labs?
  • After that: merge into Thunderbird
Tabs on Top

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 9
  • beta 3 this week – will turn OFF hardware acceleration by default because there are very few usecases where Thunderbird benefits
Thunderbird 10
Thunderbird 11
Thunderbird 3.1.x

Extension of the week

Folder pane view switcher restores the arrow keys that let you switch folder views from say all to only folders with unread messages.

QA Updates

  • Following the winqual discussion for Firefox and getting ready for it.

  • Catching up on bugmail
  • Need to clean up litmus
  • Setting up new VMs

Marketing Updates

  • Normal season holiday patterns for Tb ADUs in the 7.0MM range.

  • Publishing latest survey results this week on Thunderbird blog
  • Getting ready for TB 9.

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • jhopkins back from vacation, now located in Eastern time zone

  • continuing work to build Thunderbird on Firefox infrastructure; will add platforms this week

Web Update

  • Fixed email config issue with Yahoo

  • Working on some persistent error messages with kitsune
  • Improving website release process(script to copy locales & merge)

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1115 new support topics (1419 one week ago) – Media:21-27NovemberGSThunderbirdSupportStats-2011-11-28_1513.png

  2. Thunderbird 8 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues found in TB8
  3. Thunderbird 9 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues or bugs found in TB9 (as of this writing current TB9 version is TB9 Beta 2) on Get Satisfaction please tag them appropriately i.e. “tb9b2” for beta 2, “tb9b3” for beta 3 and “tb9” for general Thunderbird 9 issues
  4. Support Contributors, please add yourself to the Mozillians directory and tag yourself “Thunderbird”, “Support” and your city e.g. “Berlin”. Contact Roland, rtanglao AT mozilla.com to get vouched! Roland will vouch for anybody on the tb-support-crew mailing list!
  5. Love to hear your views on how we can grow the Thunderbird community of developers, support folks, QA folks, documentation folks, etc
  6. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

  • C code conversion almost complete

  • Microsoft Exchange provider hope to ship that as part of Lightning core in Lightning 1.2 or 1.3

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

dveditz, jenzed, standard8, usul, rolandtanglao, sancus, gozer, jhopkins, fallen, mconley,bwinton, bienvenu, jb

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Platform/2011-11-29


« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • 650-903-0800 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Notices / Schedule

  • FF9 beta 4 to be ready for “go to build” today

  • Working to get FF8 onto the Amazon Appstore to work through any approval issues
  • 3.6.24->8.0.1 advertised update to occur Thursday 12/1
  • Triage meetings continue to be held for 3.6.25 security bugs
  • 8.0.1 Post-Mortem in WarpCore Fri 12/2 10AM-12PM PT

Firefox Development

  • bug 505192 – excellent work by Makoto Kato on a Chrome profile migrator (reviews by Marco Bonardo)
  • Silent Update

    • Windows UAC service progressing towards completion early next week

      • Brian Bondy will be in Toronto Thurs-Fri this week to complete the work
    • Background updates on hold pending the completion of Windows UAC Service
    • Add-ons compatible by default testing and bug fixing ongoing

Firefox Developer Tools

Performance

GFX

  • Work on off main thread compositing has begun, with Ali Juma and Benoit Girard taking point.

    • Our initial goal is for this to be Android only, but in order to accomplish that goal, we’re going to also implement OMTC on OS X.

      • We expect most of the fundamental issues to be cross-platform, and development on OS X is easier than Android. But a releasable product on Android is our only goal for this work.
    • We plan to use Helgrind on OS X to detect thread issues, which may need some work from the Valgrind team.
    • We will also likely need some help from the A-team in developing a general browser usage test suite.
      • A sort of browser usage fuzzing, to detect edge cases that break down with OMTC.

JS

  • The tracejit is history; RyanVM has closed about five bazillion bugs (~300ish?) that were relevant only to the tracejit.
  • The tracejit has been given an honorable discharge:

    • It’s been replaced by JM+TI, and removing the tracer will help simplify things, which speeds along further perf improvements.

    • Let us know if you see any bits left, there’s still some cleanup going on.

Layout

  • font size inflation for mobile landed: see blog post. Feedback requested (see blog post) on how it interacts with individual Web pages (i.e., whether it’s picking the right things to make larger and the right things not to make larger)

Video

DOM

WebAPI

  • Progress on telephony. Hope to have basic dialing by the end of the week

  • Sending/receiving SMS landed for android
  • Lots of progress on IndexedDB. Getting close to “done”

Network

  • Hopefully landing a number of NSS and SSL/TLS changes today. Should be good for performance and some changes are pre-requisites for SPDY.

  • Hopefully landing SPDY (pref’d off) tomorrow.

Plugins

Mobile

Accessibility

Tree Management

Security

Stability Report

Socorro

  • 2.3.3 released yesterday

    • Found a regression and we are pushing a fix as soon as the network issues are resolved – bug 706058, bug 680013
  • A couple of bugs
    • bug 702384 – signature summary updates according to filters – defaults to 7 days, all versions

    • bug 705883 – Mac crashes not showing up

Desktop

Hang Monitor

  • Patch checked in last week – bug 429592

  • Ran into a couple of issues – bug 705154 and bug 705365. Both were fixed on Nov 26th.
  • Lots of new signatures prefaced with chromehang. Crash rate has gone up as a result – we expected this.
  • Going to pref it off – bug 705748 to double check it’s working as we expect and to analyze the data we have so far.
  • Hangs appearing in top 25 crashes for yesterday

Crashes

  • Firefox 8.0.1

    • bug 705669 – Firefox Crash – Report [@ js_ReportOutOfMemory ] (Mac only that affects other versions)
  • Firefox 9
    • bug 705496 – Firefox crashes in – npswf32_11_2_202_96 (Adobe labs new version, over 3000K crashes in last week)
  • Startup Crashes:

Mobile

Roundtable

  • Platform goals page posted Platform/2012-Q1-Goals

  • (dbaron) unit tests running on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), but many are hidden because of failures (still need more bugs filed too)
  • (dbaron) unit tests running on Windows 64-bit (all hidden, though green)
  • (dbaron) try chooser platform names for Android builds have changed, see syntax builder. android gives a native UI build; android-xul gives a XUL UI build.

29-November-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2011-11-28


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

Friends of the Tree

Speaker Location: Mountain View

Jeff Walden nominates RyanVM — again — for continuing the old-JS-bug triage madness, cutting a particularly wide path through obsolete tracejit bugs. Splendid!

Upcoming Events

Speaker Location: Mountain View

This Week

Monday, 28 Nov

Tuesday, 29 Nov

Wednesday, 30 Nov

Thursday, 01 Dec

Friday, 02 Dec

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox

Speaker Location: Toronto (and possibly MV?)

  • We are mid-way through the 6 week cycle

  • We landed bug 429592 to catch and report Firefox hangs
    • May pref it off by default, still investigating
  • Project Snappy is off and filing bugs

Thunderbird

Speaker Location:

Older Branch Work

Speaker Location:

Drumbeat

Speaker Location: No voice update this week

  • Design and develop digital badges for NASA. Cool, huh?

    • Looking for designers and developers to participate in the “Badges for Learning” competition

    • Design or develop digital badges using Mozilla’s Open Badges infrastructure. For learning partners like NASA, the U.S. Departments of Education, Labor, Energy, and Veterans Affairs, Intel, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and many others.
    • Questions?

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details

Location
Your Name Here

What are you going to talk about?

Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen

Link to where audience can find out more information

What location will you be transmitting from?
Michael Verdi

Learning about our users

None

SUMO Blog

San Antonio

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution
WebQA
QA Community
Automation Services

Automation & Tools

  • Bugzilla got hit with a DOS attack, nothing bad happened, but it generated a nice graph. BTW, we now have web analytics running on bugzilla.

  • Made a ton of progress on marionette
  • Have reftests almost working on native fennec.
  • Talos TP5 responsiveness is live on mac and windows:

http://graphs-new.mozilla.org/graph.html#tests=[[130,1,1],[130,1,21],[130,1,12],[130,1,13],[130,1,22]]&sel=none&displayrange=7&datatype=running

    • Linux to come soon
  • Peptest – user responsiveness regression testing will land in m-c this week, blog posts will be coming.
  • More updates here

Security

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Apps

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

New Hire

Introduced by

Speaker location

Will be working on
Sheeri Cabral

Corey Shields

MV (though she will work remote from Boston)

DBA on the IT team
Yuan Wang

Alex Limi

Mountain View

UX Designer on Firefox (SF)
Zhenshuo Fang

Alex Limi

Mountain View

UX Designer on Firefox (SF)
Gordon Brander

Stuart Parmenter

Mountain View

Pancake Web Engineer
Chris Peterson

Doug Turner

San Francisco

Mobile Dev
James Straus

Andreas Gal

Remote from Boston

Research Engineer

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

24-November-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Mobile/Notes/23-Nov-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • vidyo: Warp Core

Schedule

  • Dec 20 – next merge

Major Topics for This Week

  • We moved nightly fennec users over to Birch. OMGWTFBBQ

  • Watch the tree when you push patches
    • Before and after the push

    • Star issues
    • We’ll get a cheatsheet to make finding the right bug easier

Application

Native Front-end

Android Platform

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Snorp

Kats

  • Last week:

    • landed some more layers patches (702416, 702412)

    • mostly worked on a bunch of crasher bugs (703004, 703256, 700559, 704114, 704117, 699917, 704225)
    • fixed log output so logcat is greppable (703059)
    • some more pan/zoom work: axis lock (701586), overpanning bug (699937)
    • java scrollbars (701351)
    • reviewing more layers patches (703141)
  • Next week:
    • work on follow-ups for layers, scrollbars

    • work on other P1/P2 assigned bugs
  • Blockers:
    • waiting on UX for scrollbars, find-in-page

GBrown

Last week:

  • Several small device manager / testing bugs: able to run mochitest-remote against native now

  • Disk cache: found a problem in one of the benchmark tests

Next week:

  • Continue on device manager / testing bugs

AlexP

  • Last week

    • Reviewed older IME bugs. Closed some which are not reproducible anymore.

    • Investigated the bugs introduced with the new pan/zoom architecture:
      • bug 701706 Virtual Keyboard is not dismissed if a tap is performed outside the focused input field

      • bug 701947 VKB does not appear when tapping into an iframe text box
      • Found the cause of the problems, submitted a fix for bug 701947
    • bug 685537 [HKb] Fn key + key is not working properly on Desire Z’s Android keyboard
      • Investigated the bug, confirmed its major part is fixed by the change in bug 699792
    • bug 704156 Unable to overwrite selection in awesome bar using HKB
      • Investigated the bug, have a WIP patch
  • This week

Chris Lord

AWOL

GCP

  • Last week:

    • Reworked UrlClassifier according to review comments.

    • Added missing features/documentation.
    • Debugged various obscure things.
  • This week:
    • Iron out the last bugs.

    • Rest/Holiday.
    • bug 699199 – Upgrade path from XUL to native fennec.
  • Blockers: None.

Brian N

(PTO Today)

Sriram

  • Last Week:

    • Investigated the “black url bar” problem in Honeycomb.

    • Found problems with using textColorHighlight in Honeycomb.
  • This Week:
    • Fixed the “black url bar” problem.

    • Investigated the heap allocation problem that caused application to kill (Bug 704162).
    • Optimized TabsTray implementation.
    • Basic support for “action bar” and “holo” themes in Honeycomb/ICS.
    • Working on ContentProvider for passwords.
  • Blockers:
    • Android’s lack of proper documentation for ActionBar :(

WesJ

(PTO Today)

LucasR

Last week

  • Bug fixing

    • Show go/search icon on AwesomeBar text entry (701374)

    • Cancel pending favicon requests (699786)
    • Back button behavior on AwesomeBar (700951)
    • Close db cursors in Favicons (703602)

This week

  • More bug fixing

    • Focus on local DB for bookmarks/history

Blockers

  • None

MBrubeck

Margaret

(PTO Today)

Done:

Next:

  • Host Thanksgiving dinner!

  • Finish fixing save as PDF progress notifications (bug 704691)
  • Form history (bug 695444)

BLassey

Last week:

  • worked on native about:home bug 701380

  • disabling xul for aurora bug 704612 and bug 703815
  • fixed quit bug 704217
  • disabled animation when returning from awesome screen bug 704043
  • investigating saving screenshot in saved instance bundle
  • null pointer exception (caught) on start up bug 702183
  • got rid of unnecessary permissions in the manifest bug 702183

Next week:

  • eat lots of turkey

  • work on native about:home
  • investigating saving screenshot in saved instance bundle

DougT

  • Backed out multithread DNS. See bug 694325.

  • Kicking off dns request from java to startup the radio. See bug 689713.
  • Lots of merging.
  • Two more patches to land before we can migrate over to m-c. (plugins legal, and a roc/layout patch)
  • Gobble.

MFinkle

Done:

  • Landed an ugly version of the Add-ons Manager

  • Blogging about Native UI, add-ons and emulator
  • Worked on the Nigthly switchover from XUL to Native

Next:

  • Make the Add-ons Manager pretty

  • Port over a simple remote error console
  • Blog about the error console -> logcat system and how to use logcat

Madhava

  • Last week: sync, misc. bugs

  • This week: sync flow (minor additions); first-run flows; addons install flows; character encoding; flash-enabling pref; these lovely bugs

Ian Barlow

Patryk Adamczyk

Last Week

  • Delivered basic widget design for both high and low resolution devices to Sriram.

This Week

  • Aiming to deliver spec for add ons manager for both high and low resolution devices to Mark today or tomorrow.

  • Aiming to deliver optimal text size spec to remedy bug #703029

Blockers
None

Round Table

QA

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Firefox/Planning/2011-11-23


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Christian and Laura to figure out where to blog about Add-ons compatible by default (to get more testers enabling the feature once it is on Aurora)

  • blassey to report back on disabling flash on Aurora (XUL) Fennec
  • Christian to add explanation of new permissions requests to mobile beta release notes (bug 702183)

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 8)

  • 8.0.1 released Monday (11/21)

    • Post-Mortem scheduled for next Friday (12/2) at 10AM PT in Warp Core
  • Triage meetings being held for 3.6.25 security bugs

Beta (9)

  • To be the first FF mobile release posted to the Amazon Appstore

Aurora (10)

  • Silent Update

    • Removal of OS security dialog for Windows close to complete. Working with releng on final issue. Details on Brian’s blog.

    • Add-ons default to compatible has landed on Nightly and Aurora. Currently prefed off on Aurora. Ready for testing. Details on Blair’s blog.
    • Your help is needed to test these features. Read the blog posts or speak with Brian, Ehsan, Blair, Anthony or me if you have any questions.

Nightly (11)

  • Silent Update

    • Background updates ready for review and testing. Details on Ehsan’s blog.

      • Note that this feature, which had been thought to be ready in 10 will now land in 11.
  • Project Snappy kicked off last week

    • Aim is to improve Firefox responsiveness.

    • Get in touch with Taras or Lawrence if you’re interested in contributing.

Firefox Mobile

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder

Add-on SDK

Release (1.2 -> Firefox 7, 8)

  • Everything A-OK

Stabilization (1.3 -> Firefox 8, 9)

  • Still on 1.3RC1 which was spun last week.

  • Will stick with RC1 for release next week unless any blockers appear
  • 1.3 Release on track for Tues. Nov. 29th!

Development (1.4 -> Firefox 9, 10)

  • Ongoing discussion and proposals for l10n support in Add-on SDK [bug 691782]

  • New proposal about changes to the way we handle version strings inside the Add-on SDK [Discussion]
  • Still on-track to merge to stabilization branch on Nov. 29th

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Cheng is on a plane somewhere over the North Pacific so read the wiki.

Top Firefox 8 issues

  • Missing favicons

  • No Java. bug 704741
  • Outlook web access attachments don’t work bug 703015
  • Problems getting the latest Flash player to work [1] — may be either related to 64-bit-ness or Flash installing in an unexpected location. This also presents as Youtube not working:[2] and [3]
  • Adblock plus broke Gmail chat [4] — this may be fixed since reports have tapered.

Mobile

UX & User Research

Market Insights

Amazon

  • Sencha conducted an in-depth of the Amazon Fire’s browser, Silk, for HTML5 support and overall performance. It performed below its peers on standardized tests like Acid3 and Sunspider. CSS animations were jerky, and that support for 3D transforms, web sockets, web workers, and many HTML form types are also absent. They also found that the “cloud-accelerated” Silk browser had little performance difference whether the acceleration was on or off. http://www.sencha.com/blog/html5-scorecard-amazon-kindle-fire/
  • A Citigroup investment research report was released that claimed that their research with hardware vendors indicated that Amazon was going to release a smartphone in 2012, manufactured with Foxconn.

Webkit / Google Chrome

  • Google’s V8 engine released an updated incremental garbage collector, which “dramatically improves interactive performance of web apps and HTML5 games”. Google also released a Javascript stress test for the engine. http://goo.gl/QWugU.
  • Chromium and Webkit had the “busiest week ever”, with 1,745 changes. The new Chromium history UI was launched, the Web Inspector now provides more information about object definitions and styles, and support for CSS4 Images cross-fade() function was added to the tree. The CSS3 Flexible Box implementation has been enabled by default, and some initial patches for CSS Grid Layout landed. Support for <meta name=”referrer”> allows page authors to specify referrer policy, making it easier to anonymize later web requests. Most CSS Filters now work correctly in nightlies, and computed styles for CSS Shaders have been implemented as well. This week Web Intents is expected to land.

Microsoft

  • Microsoft released reference implementations of their proposed changes to ECMAScript. Suggested changes include math functions such as cosh, sinh, tanh, log2, log10; string methods like startsWith, endsWith, and contains, and number methods such as isFinite and isInteger. “When running on Windows 7, the prototype implementation supports 363 available Locales, 18 numbering systems, many date patterns, and includes support for the Gregorian, Islamic, Hebrew, Buddhist, Korean, and Japanese calendars.” http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/11/22/evolving-ecmascript.aspx

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Questions, Comments, FYI

Actions this week

23-November-2011

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-11-22


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Usul

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
  • Going through more polish iterations – getting pretty close, just dealing with some smaller details
OpenSearch
Test Pilot
  • Starting to get the first tests up and running on our development channels

    • expect something next week for Aurora+beta + users with the extension

    • Only tests, see how the stats comes back from – data won’t be used to make decision.
    • making sure users experience is ok.

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 8
  • shipped.
Thunderbird 9
  • Merge in 4 weeks.
Thunderbird 3.1.x

Extension of the week

  • Nostalgy : move and filter your email from your keyboard.

QA Updates

  • 81% coverage for Thunderbird 10’s last week’s testing events, 15 bugs found

    • Thank you if you participated
  • 38% coverage for Lightning 1.0’s test week, 4 bugs found
    • Thank you if you participated or tried to

Marketing Updates

  • Thunderbird ADUs reached high of 7.7MM led by Germany, US, France, Japan, Italy and Poland.

  • Tb 8 adoption rate very strong, 8 days to 50% of users compared to Thunderbird 7.0 12 days.

Next:

  • TB 9.

  • Publishing survey results.
  • Test Pilot studies, exploring “Broken Add-ons” survey in addition to “week in the life study”.

Infrastructure Update

  • Linux trunk build green on Firefox build infra.

Build / Release Update

jhopkins away this week

Web Update

  • Fixed a few small website bugs(earlybird favicon, etc)

  • Closed remaining TB6 & 7 l10n bugs, only TB8 ones are left.
  • wrote some code for AOL account provisioner based on previous documentation, but still don’t have any server to test on :(

Documentation

  • new snippet on MDN: Get MIME Headers for any message (thanks Protz!)

  • clean-up and maintenance on MDN
  • four major Knowledge Base article edits from contributors
  • training with practicum students on style, standards, etc

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1419 new support topics (1549 one week ago) – Media:14-20November2011-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png

  2. Thunderbird 8 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues found in TB8
  3. Support Contributors, please add yourself to the Mozillians directory and tag yourself “Thunderbird”, “Support” and your city e.g. “Manila”. Roland, rtanglao AT mozilla.com can vouch for you !
  4. Love to hear your views on how we can grow the Thunderbird community of developers, support folks, QA folks, documentation folks, etc
  5. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

  • Work on Ctypes, one unit test to fix.

    • some stuff to work out.
  • Long bug list and reviews.
  • Interesting stats on the calendar blog.

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Usul, Standard8, Fallen, Roland, Bienvenu, Rebron, Jenzed , Sancus, Gozer, dveditz

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Platform/2011-11-22


« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • 650-903-0800 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

Firefox Development

  • Silent Update

    • Removal of OS security dialog for Windows close to complete. Working with releng on final issue. Details on Brian’s blog.

    • Background updates ready for review and testing. Details on Ehsan’s blog.
    • Add-ons default to compatible has landed on Nightly and Aurora. Currently prefed off on Aurora. Ready for testing. Details on Blair’s blog.
    • Your help is needed to test these features. Read the blog posts or speak with Brian, Ehsan, Blair, Anthony or me if you have any questions.
  • Project Snappy kicked off last week

    • Aim is to improve Firefox responsiveness.

    • Get in touch with Taras or Lawrence if you’re interested in contributing.

Firefox Developer Tools

Performance

GFX

JS

Layout

  • font size inflation (bug 627842, readability) fighting with Android crashtest-1 failure (failing with no useful information in the log). Can land once that’s fixed. Once it lands it’ll probably need tuning related to feedback on how it behaves on different individual Web pages.

Video

DOM

  • Lots of good cycle collector related work going on to better understand how to deal with huge graphs that end up causing long cc pauses (mccr8, smaug)

  • View-source changes landed, we’re now no longer using the old parser for view source (hsivonen, smaug)
  • Landed HTML support for XHR (hsivonen)

WebAPI

  • Camera

    • Have most UI drafts.

    • Getting help with windows build stuff to get webrtc code integrated.
  • IndexedDB
    • Landed huge perf improvements!

    • Arrays-as-keys the big remaining feature
    • Found and fixed dataloss bug.
  • Part of SMS getting close to landing

Network

Plugins

Mobile

  • Preparing to move birch (native UI) to mozilla-central

  • Switching nightlies from mozilla-central (XUL) to birch (native)
    • All nightly users will be moved

Accessibility

Tree Management

  • Rev3 OSX snow leopard machines are now offline.

    • Final Notice! These will be recycled into linux/windows testers unless there’s a very good reason to keep them around for the next little while. Speak now, or forever hold your peace!

Security

Date / Time

Item
Wed Nov 23 / 13:00 PST Add-On Hotfix

Security Review – prepopulated

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details
* IRC Channel: #security
* Etherpad: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/secreview
* Dial-in Info:
** In office or soft phone: extension 92
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
** Conference num 624

Stability Report

Socorro

  • New Socorro version 2.3.3 will be held until next week. Delayed due to chemspill and holiday. Probably go out Monday.

  • Notable feature: Signature summary – on the page for each signature we get a summary of the versions it happens it and time buckets so we can easily see start crashes.
  • http://tinyurl.com/cf3qjh4

Desktop

  • Highlights

    • After issues with 8.0, we are working on a plan to more aggressively block some of the problematic 3rd party dlls that cause crashes. Putting together a list of stuff we will block for 9.0. Includes an older version of Flash bug 704158

    • https://crash-analysis.mozilla.com/rkaiser/firefox.10.0a1.flashsummary.html. The list of Flash crashes and hangs shows a decrease in volume as of 10/29 which stays constant through the cutover to 10.0a2. It’s showing in 11 as well. FF 7 and 8 show NO correlating drop from 10/29.
  • New issues on Release
    • bug 704125 – Firefox 7 crash in gbmzh_bb.dll (Banco do Brasil?) – showing up in 7.0

    • bug 702869 – mozalloc_abort
    • bug 704029 – nsLocalFile::Append(nsAString_internal const&)
    • bug 694974 – Comcast Constant Guard (sent mail to devs to advise them users are still crashing)
    • bug 703624 – Crash caused by Fritz!Box 1.6.1 addon [@ FB_AddOn4.dll@0x27421]
    • bug 704492 – crash sshnas21 (trojan FakeAlert)
    • bug 700493 – Firefox Crash @ @0x0 | nsXULPrototypeCache::HasData(nsIURI*, int*) ] (Correlated to Yandex Bar)
    • Marcia went through crashes over the weekend that had “needs URL” and provided correlations for those that we could.
  • New issues for 9.0
    • bug 702217 – OOM crash in nsUrlClassifierStore::ReadPrefixes or nsUrlClassifierPrefixSet::SetPrefixes

    • bug 702901 – js::types::TypeScriptNesting::~TypeScriptNesting()
    • bug 702910 – Firefox 9b1 crashes at startup
    • bug 704460 – js_ValueToString. Mac crash – Seeing this on 10 as well.
    • bug 704488 – je_free | mozutils.dll@0x2a9f
  • New bugs logged for Aurora
  • New bugs logged for Trunk
    • bug 702999 – layout issue on the trunk

    • bug 703133 – nsImageLoadingContent
    • bug 704124 – gfxContext::SetSource
    • bug 704284 – Firefox Crash @ nsXMLHttpRequest::IsWaitingForHTMLCharset()
    • bug 704456 – Crash in __-[ChildView maybeTrackScrollEventAsSwipe:scrollOverflow:]_block_invoke_1

Mobile

Roundtable

  • MSVC 2010 Migration (targeting Gecko 12) – khuey

    • Builders are ready to go.

    • Tests are green.
    • Perf numbers look good.
    • Client side updater requirements are done.

22-November-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2011-11-21


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-11-21.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

Speaker Location: Mountain View

Mihai nominates Sonny Piers a new contributor to devtools for doing much needed code cleanup of the Web Console.

Jono nominates Blair McBride for his work to make addons default to “compatible” — http://theunfocused.net/2011/11/19/solving-firefoxs-add-on-compatibility-problem/

Jeff Walden nominates RyanVM for triaging a bunch of old, mostly ancient-history JS bug reports last week. Good stuff!

Upcoming Events

Speaker Location: Mountain View

This Week

Monday, 21 November
Amit Swab Drive noon-2pm PT – 3rd fl, MV

Tuesday, 22 November
Early Stage Apps Research Presentation – 11-noon PT 10Forward

Wednesday, 23 November

Thursday, 24 November

US Thanksgiving

Friday, 25 November

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Future (9, 10, 11)

Speaker Location: Toronto (johnath)

  • Getting closer to add-ons being compatible by default, check out Blair’s blog post

  • Taras, Dietrich & co are running weekly Project Snappy meetings to tackle responsiveness issues
  • The style editor developer tool just landed on nightly. bug 583041

Firefox Current (3.5, 3.6, 4.0 – 8.0)

Speaker Location: MV

Mobile Firefox

Speaker Location: Toronto (johnath)

Thunderbird

Speaker Location: (no voice update)

  • There were a couple of great talks about Thunderbird at MozCamp Asia.

    • Videos to come later, hopefully.

    • For now, here’s the wiki page for one of them.
  • Other than that, it’s been a quiet week.

Older Branch Work

Speaker Location:

Drumbeat

Speaker Location: No voice update this week

Great recent press on two of our projects:

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details

Location
Your Name Here

What are you going to talk about?

Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen

Link to where audience can find out more information

What location will you be transmitting from?
Brandon Sterne

Security is Part of Our Mission

http://people.mozilla.org/~bsterne/dzslides/20111121.html

security@mozilla.org

Mountain View
Tristan Nitot

Operations in Europe

Nothing

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.governance/browse_thread/thread/aa73ae69237f4fc8#

Tristan’s place in Paris
Harvey

Stop SOPA

Nothing

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution
WebQA
QA Community
Automation Services

Automation & Tools

  • Landed talos code for responsiveness testing on mac and windows, should be enabled today on mozilla-central by a buildbot reconfigure

    • Still tracking down a linux crash when we enable responsiveness there.
  • Cross browser mobile startup automation is reporting numbers from a few different phones.
    • Click on the names in the legend to toggle lines on and off

    • This visualization could use some help, if you want to exercise your JS skillz, contact wlach or ctalbert on IRC to get involved.
  • B2G battery API test using Marionette and QEMU emulators is running, automating this week.
  • Eideticker project has made great progress
  • The native implementation of the Bugzilla REST API (implementing as part of Bugzilla itself) is almost ready for beta.
  • More updates here

Security

  • no reviews scheduled this week

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Apps

  • Working towards launch of app documentation on MDN

  • Go to market plan being finalized
  • More soon next week.

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

New Hire

Introduced by

Speaker location

Will be working on
New person’s name here

Who will be introducing that person?

From which office will that introduction be transmitted?

What will the new person be working on?
Josh Carpenter

Madhava Enros

Toronto

UX on Pancake!
Samuel Foster

Stuart Parmenter

UK

Pancake!
Edwin Flores (Intern)

Robert O’Callahan

New Zealand

Software Engineer
Lazar Sumar (Intern)

Robert O’Callahan

New Zealand

Software Engineer

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

17-November-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Mobile/Notes/16-Nov-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • vidyo: Warp Core

Schedule

Major Topics for This Week

  • Xul Fennec is moving!

    • mobile/* -> mobile/xul/*

Application

Native Front-end

Android Platform

  • Flash landed on birch. Enabled by default.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Snorp

Kats

Last week

  • Mostly working on the layers patch queue and landing those patches

  • Spent some time trying to track down the test failures

This week

  • Bugs assigned to me – mostly reimplementing previous patches on top of the layers code

Blockers

  • Bug 696319 (scroll web content input into view) depends on the architecture of the layers code, which is still evolving

GBrown

Last week:

  • bug 700916: can run mochitest-remote on birch via adb now

  • bug 648429: network cache compression: sorted out the crash, running microbenchmark to investigate performance issue
  • bug 602611: 2-level (memory/disk) network cache: new patch is under discussion

Next week:

  • more of the same

Blocked…”languishing”

  • bug 696095: precompiled startup cache — I could use some guidance on how to use qemu

AlexP

  • Last week

    • Reviewed and investigated new IME bugs.

    • bug 697773 – Cannot type in AwesomeBar URL bar with hard keyboard
      • Had to revert the first workaround fix due to regressions

      • Did more investigation, and submitted a new fix
    • bug 699792 – ALT key not working correctly on Motorola DROID PRO
      • Investigated the bug and submitted a fix
  • This week

Chris Lord

GCP

  • Last week: Fixed some Fennec crasher bugs, urlclassifier bugs.

  • This week: Rebase (and review? that would be cool!) of new UrlClassifier code. Investigating Add-on Manager overhead.
  • Blockers: None yet.

Brian N

  • Last week

    • Session store

    • Favicon patches
    • Preferences loading
    • User agents
  • This week
    • User agents

    • Session store
  • Blocked on
    • Nothing

Sriram

  • Last Week:

    • Reskinning doorhangers, Tab counter animation
  • This week:
    • Moving tabs to the right

    • Changing focus color for the URL bar
    • More better tab counter animation
  • Blockers: None

WesJ

  • Last week

    • Double tap zoom. Landed. Unlanded. Just needs testing.
  • This week
    • Touch events. Got review. Fixing comments. Working on tests.

    • Keep pushing useragent stuff. I think we’re spidering the web with some test UA’s?

LucasR

Last week:

Next week:

  • More bug fixing

Blockers

  • None

MBrubeck

  • Landed doorhanger code to enable indexedDB in birch.

  • Meta viewport work is mostly complete; integrating with new graphics work.
  • Beta 9 and Aurora 10 are in good shape; no more active development happening in XUL fennec.
  • Reviewed some Meego-specific patches contributed by romaxa.

Margaret

Done:

Next:

  • Continue working on rewriting about:config in XHTML: bug 699418

  • Lap back to form history: bug 695444

BLassey

Last week

  • java-based about:home bug 701380

  • reviews and code fixes

Next week

  • more code fixes

DougT

  • Worked on moving piece that can land back on m-c

  • Thrusday doing the mobile/* -> mobile/xul move (well, some east coaster is going to do the push)
  • Starting to look at more sane ways to save the last screenshot.
    • May just disable it for now to get the Ts under control

MFinkle

Done:

  • Patch ready for Password doorhangers

  • Addressed feedback on Add-on Manager
  • Worked on porting some add-ons to work in Native Fennec
  • Got Zippity (add-on and website) working for Native Fennec
  • Updated my talos dashboard to show XUL and Native side by side
  • Reviews!

Next:

  • Get a “works good enough” patch of Add-on Manager landed

  • Blog on add-ons in Native Fennec

status

Madhava

  • Last week: sync, misc. bugs

  • This week: sync setup and pref flow, prefs, general misc bug coverage; these lovely bugs

Ian Barlow

  • Last week:

    • UI Reviews

    • Working on new designs for a Start Page, Reading Mode,
  • This week:
    • Same thing
  • Blockers: Nope

Patryk Adamczyk

Last Week

  • Door hangers: Delivered 9 Slice Graphics to Sriram > bug ref #698598

  • Add ons: Delivered colour spec > bug ref #696532

This Week

  • Supporting dev in implementation if any new graphics / specs are needed.

  • Working on some Firefox widget designs (may not be for FF11)

Blockers
None

Round Table

QA

Crash Report Nov 14

If there’s just one crash that is worked upon atm in time…

  • bug 702365 – Large screenshot can cause OOM on startup
  • bug 702624 – Crash Reporter crashes

  • bug 702255 [ICS] – Startup crash
  • bug 702619 – Fennec crashes if at least 2 tabs are closed
  • bug 694566 – [birch] crashes on install [@ mozalloc_abort __swrite ]

RelEng

  • as contingency plan, working on being able to ship Fennec from birch. Should have in place by 14-20 Dec. bug 701817 (joduinn)

Other

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress