Meeting Notes

17-November-2011

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Firefox/Planning/2011-11-16


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Johnathan to talk to engagement about bug 682944, and our process for snippet QA

    • Getting traction from Michael Kelly – we understand what caused this issue, but there’s more to be done setting up real snippet QA

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 8)

  • Qualifying / testing a 8.0.1

    • Apple released a Java update with a bug that activated a bug in Firefox

    • Working on a block for older versions of RoboForm, which is making some Windows users unstable
    • Still qualifying / testing the builds, may need to respin
      • (catlee) – when is the earliest we would be respinning? (background: RelEng has a downtime scheduled for Thurs morning that many in this room are blocked on; want to do this downtime after 9.0b2 builds complete and before possible 8.0.1respin – possibly today!)
    • Don’t have a date/time for Firefox 8.0.1’s release yet
  • The Firefox 3.6.x → 8 advertised MU has been postponed
    • We need to be 100% on release for a week to be sure no issues will arise. We have not been due to investigating a possible 8.0.1

    • Most likely will not wait for Fx9, but it won’t be this Thursday as previously scheduled

Beta (9)

  • Sent the go to build for Firefox 9 beta 2, QA should have the builds by tomorrow at the latest

    • This is the regular plan (go sent on Tuesday, builds by Thursday, push to the channel by Friday)

Aurora (10)

  • Web Developers should check out the new Aurora build. A Mozilla Hacks blog post runs through the improvements

    • New page inspector with features for working with CSS

    • Improvements to Scratchpad and Web Console

Nightly (11)

  • Add-ons compatible by default has landed preffed off on m-c and will land ASAP on Aurora. To enable this flip the pref extensions.strictCompatibility to true. With the pref flipped, Firefox should treat add-ons as compatible unless:

    • the author has opted in to strict checking

    • the add-on uses binary components
    • the add-on’s min version is greater than the Firefox version
    • the add-on is ancient
  • 5 digit bug 92264 “Support element.outerHTML property” landed.

Firefox Mobile

Release

Beta

Aurora

  • Must disable Flash

Trunk

Native UI

  • Massive Flash improvements landed this week. Give it a try, be blown away. Then go thank snorp.

  • Panning and Zooming infrastructure landed and caused some regressions. We are working to fix them ASAP and end up being much nicer than anything you have seen before.
  • Figure out the priority of ICS support given that phones are shipping.
  • File bugs

Top customer pain points and plans to fix

Context: 1,101 reviews were posted on Android Market during first week of v8 release, 21% of those reviews were 1 or 2 star reviews. Overall, for the first week, the average rating for v8 is 3.75 stars

  1. Performance (startup and lag) 51% of 1 & 2 star reviews on the Android Market for Firefox 8 in the first week of release complain about slow performance on startup and laggy responsiveness. Native UI is in-progress to fix.

  2. Instability (freezes/hangs/crashes) 11% of 1 & 2 star reviews of v8 complain about instability
  3. Memory 5% of 1 & 2 star reviews of v8 complain about high memory use Native UI is in-progress to fix.
  4. Flash 21% of 1 & 2 star reviews of v8 request support for Flash. Native UI is in-progress to fix.

Firefox Sync

  • Firefox 10:

    • Improving Sync Set Up – Went into Aurora. Working with Support to make sure we update docs appropriately
  • Firefox 11+:
    • Push to Device – In development. You can play with an add-on here. Signing off on UX

    • Addon Sync – In development, signing off on UX.
    • Java Porting for Sync – is in progress

Add-on Builder

  • Release today includes major search improvements, landing of the Jinja conversion, and more elements of our new Shipyard framework.

  • Drafted proposal for our 2012 development focus –> Builder will transition to an open web app, we’ll modularize add-on specific logic so Builder works for all kinds of apps, will be accessible from within Firefox itself.

Add-on SDK

Release (1.2 -> Firefox 7, 8)

  • 1.2 still passes tests for Firefox 9 (no repack will be needed if still OK when 9 releases)

Stabilization (1.3 -> Firefox 8, 9)

  • Released 1.3RC1 yesterday

  • May spin another RC before release to take a couple of cherry-pick items
  • Still on track to release November 29th

Development (1.4 -> Firefox 9, 10)

  • We remain on track to merge to stabilization branch on Tuesday, November 29 and ship on Tuesday, January 10

  • Had a meeting today to discuss our Out-of-process work and how our priorities will change with the change to e10s work. Look for a discussion on the Jetpack forum soon! – Update Discussion is here

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • Haven’t had much time to work on feedback. Cursory look:

    • Lots of complaints about missing icons (but the majority — if not everyone — is just people reacting to the change from the default icon to the dotted icon)

    • Java functionality (not the Mac thing, I think more confusion around the add-on notice)
    • Startup crashes (yay!)
    • The usual addons don’t work.
    • We might have a problem with Outlook Web Access and downloading attachments: [1] and [2] bug 703015

Mobile

UX & User Research

Market Insights

Technology

  • Amazon started shipping the Kindle Fire, and released the source code for it.
  • A survey of mobile developers found that nearly all are interested in developing for the Apple iPad, and the Kindle Fire is second-most-popular Android device, with 43% of developers saying they are “very interested” in developing for it.
  • Adobe announced that it was going to open source the Flex SDK and hand it over to the Apache Software Foundation, saying that “in the long term, we believe that HTML5 will be the best platform for enterprise software development”.
  • Google released updated version of the Android Native Development Kit, now at revision 7. It features a new API based on Khronos OpenMAX AL 1.0.1 that provides a direct, efficient path for low-level streaming multimedia, making it easier for applications to apply proprietary encryption/decryption. There are also audio enhancements.
  • Opera released version 11.60 of its browser, the first to support the HTML5 microdata specification and the CSS3 radial gradiants specification. It also supports the CSS4 image-rendering property, allowing customization of which scaling algorithm is used for background images, canvas elements, or border images.
  • MoSync, a Swedish startup, released a new version of its mobile framework which allows HTML5 and C++ to used seamlessly together in the same application, allowing developers to extend applications with native device features, many of which are not yet enabled in mobile browsers. The code is released with a GPL v2 license and works on Apple and Android devices.
  • Commits to the Chromium tree include partial support for Esperanto, default “strict blocking” for those who enable third-party cookie blocking, and compound keys for IndexedDB.
  • Google released a tool for working with CSS to its Closure product. Closure Stylesheets “adds variables, functions, conditionals, and mixins to standard CSS. The tool also supports minification, linting, RTL flipping, and CSS class renaming”.

Mobile

  • Coming soon…

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Questions, Comments, FYI

Actions this week

  • Christian and Laura to figure out where to blog about Add-ons compatible by default (to get more testers enabling the feature once it is on Aurora)

  • blassey to report back on disabling flash on Aurora (XUL) Fennec
  • Christian to add explanation of new permissions requests to mobile beta release notes (bug 702183)

16-November-2011

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-15

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2011-11-15


« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> ewong

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank?
    • No one this time.

    • Please note A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • IanN to write the “Friends of the Fish Tank” F.A.Q.

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

(see 2011-11-01 status meeting notes for details)

  • “What Happened?”

    • One XServe that hosts “Parallels” in Mozilla died, taking down with it all the data it housed. (There were two problems to appear here)
  • “What does this mean for our Release”

    • We missed one planned beta because of this and only released beta 4 when FF/TB 8 were released. Current plans are to get 2.5 final out the door together with FF 8.0.1.
  • “Where do we stand with the machine(s) right now?”

    • bug 702490 will give SeaMonkey a 1U mac mini chassis(4 Mini’s) in SCL2 for SeaMonkey.

    • bug 701887 (Send seamonkey minis to SCL2 and get them racked there). The minis are on Matt’s desk at the moment. The DL120G7’s are in SCL2, but not racked.
    • bug 673972 (iX hardware repairs) All machines have been given to iX for repair. See bug for details.
  • “What about the current tree status? When will METERED change to OPEN?”
    • METERED means approval required and try to not get too many pushes in short order.

    • Callek, update?

Release Train

  • Callek is working on getting comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).

    • Patch updated. Awaiting review. Although it looks like Corey has taken over the bug from Callek.
  • 2.5b4 shipped 9th November.
  • 2.5 final now depends on FF 8.0.1 (ETA TBD).
    • Due to a FF chemspill, 2.5 final is on schedule.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • Addon Compatibility Listings created and maintained by InvisibleSmiley, with help from some community members like DERoss.

    • InvisibleSmiley has filed bug 702586 for the ACR update.

    • Recent changes can be found here.
    • [InvisibleSmiley:] The External Sources part is still TODO, help appreciated.
  • Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page)
  • Lightning currently provides versions for the current stable release (AMO), Aurora and trunk (both FTP) and Beta (Calendar Versions page).
  • The latest Firebug is now fully compatible but still not flagged as such on AMO (which seems to depend on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side, see Issue 4430)
    • [InvisibleSmiley] Use Firebug 1.9 pre-releases for 2.4 and later (maybe even earlier SM versions; haven’t checked)
  • Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
  • InvisibleSmiley still needs help updating and maintaining the FAQ Wiki page. Everybody please help update it, so it stays current. mcsmurf says he’ll help.
  • KaiRo created a SeaMonkey Features page and sub-pages for all those that are in development.
  • We need to get the Addon Compatibility page finished and better communicate how to keep Lightning and Enigmail updated since unfortunately the only versions provided on AMO are for the current stable release. People keep coming back reporting that e.g. Lightning stopped working on trunk, Aurora or Beta. But since it contains binary components, Lightning easily breaks if you don’t retrieve the matching install file yourself.
    • [InvisibleSmiley] Lightning 1.0 is compatible with SM 2.5.

We should also add some information on this to the release notes of future betas.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • Figure out what is preventing people from moving from 2.0.x to the latest versions. (volunteers?)

    • maybe putting resource into getting certain extensions working with SM2.4 and above

2.x Follow-ups and Issues

Moved to a separate page.

2.5

open tracking (2)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (30)

  • The New 2.5 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.

  • 2.4.x had ~85,493 ADU by last Thursday and 2.4.1 has had ~303,000 downloads so far.
    • Of the released versions, as of last Thursday, we have 22.6% on 2.0, 1.2% on 2.1, 3.7% on 2.2, 4.9% on 2.3 and 67.7% on 2.4. So, in the last two weeks, ~3k (an additional 2.6% of ADU) have migrated to 2.4.

2.Next

  • Please make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when we to do a release we can be sure that we don’t miss anything.

    • Priority should be given to fixing regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.

    • Be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.
  • Remember to help update the New Features pages as we go along.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 39 new, 31 fixed, 14 triaged.

Open reviews/flags:
34 review
14 super-review
0 ui-review
9 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

Active

  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.6 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.

    • IanN will need to poke some people about reviews not happening quickly enough.
    • IanN is still wading through the unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs. After that he will be reworking his customising patches.
  • de-RDF bug 654864 has been finished and landed on all development branches, including 2.3. Still to do:
    • Neil wanted to follow up on some listener issues. This is being addressed in bug 669203.

    • for the selection issue, see what the TB guys come up with in bug 669203. There is still a patch that needs checking in but both the patches there are for SM (even though it is a TB bug :P).
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (–disable-tests). Still a lot to do.

    • IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
      • Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.
  • Real full-screen (bug 610509) and DOM full-screen (bug 701714)
    • patches provided by Mnyromyr and InvisibleSmiley
  • Port HTML5 “context menu” feature (contextmenu attribute) UI (bug 702019)
    • patch provided by InvisibleSmiley.

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].

    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object. [serge]
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
    • Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 “Reply to List” [button/(context) menu item]
  • bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Aqualon

asrail

Callek

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 608103 – Message Display panel clipped on Windows 7

    • bug 678979 – Remove README.txt from release packages
  • Checkin-needed:
  • Needs Review:

    • bug 78357 – Account wizard doesn’t have place to enter port info

    • bug 102275 – Number untitled pages. (sr)
    • bug 670561 – show profile path in profile manager.
    • bug 682537 – Don’t remove jemalloc lib when building with MOZ_MEMORY
    • bug 701683 – Port |bug #698248 – Remove FORCE_USE_PIC| to SeaMonkey
  • Working On:

    • bug 675589 – Group all session restore menu items together.
  • BackBurner:

    • bug 649952 – Port |Bug 609824 – Re-add Bloglines to the feed reader options| to SeaMonkey

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Attended MozCamp Berlin.
  • Fixed:
    • bug 698876 Port |bug 692616 – large images not be scaled down to windows size| to SeaMonkey

    • bug 694027 Move Editor toolbar buttons from editorOverlay to editingOverlay
    • bug 701679 Port |bug 311007 – Add aFlags arg to onLocationChange(…), to distinguish between same-document and different-document| to comm-central (missing change)
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js

    • bug 702013 Update en-GB for Firefox 9.0/Thunderbird 9.0/SeaMonkey 2.6
    • bug 702098 Update en-GB for Firefox 10.0/Thunderbird 10.0/SeaMonkey 2.7
  • Waiting for additional review on:
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Working on:
    • bug 695842 Move Editor startup/shutdown functions to editingOverlay

    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.

InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 701540 stop testmultiselect.xul hanging on Windows

    • bug 700045 Update splitter state instead of deck for BM Properties context menu option
    • bug 699965 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.5 Beta 4 release
    • bug 698524 test_startup.js xpcshell test fails for SeaMonkey due to Modern theme default add-on not being excluded
    • bug 696731 Properties context menu option in Bookmarks Manager does nothing when the embedded properties pane is already open
    • bug 696598 Add default value for extensions.autoDisableScopes
    • bug 695523 Port |bug 564560 – Sync dialogs should persist position|
    • bug 693210 Add support for some keys to Advanced Search
  • Working On:

    • bug 700899 Port |bug 193281 – Ability to import/save e-mail messages from .eml text files to folders (Message|Copy)|

    • bug 701714 Add support for DOM full-screen
    • enable View Source for .eml files and port bug 550478 Attached .eml – Other Actions –> View Source – only shows body
    • look into bug 698038 Update Preferences help for the new section to control crash report submission.
    • bug 688953 Create/Update 2.5 Release Notes
    • track bug 687316 (Remaining) Sync changes to port to Suite

KaiRo

mcsmurf

Misak

Fixed:

Working on:

  • bug 698276 Port bug 686065 [Don’t clear nsSessionStartup::sessionType after the session startup phase finished].

  • bug 700144 Port bug 640136 [onchange & input events are not fired for all form elements on restore]

Mnyromyr

Working on bug 610509 Make fullscreen mode really fullscreen.

MReimer

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 631983 [tabmail] “Error: this.mCurrentBrowser is null” [tabbrowser.xml docShell property].

  • bug 684805 Port bug 648045 Mark the active tab in minimized windows as inactive.
  • bug 695801 Insert Character dialog doesn’t switch to other editor window .
  • bug 696788 Build using jemalloc and SDK compiler crashes shortly after startup.
  • bug 698011 You can only “Don’t Save” a message once.
  • bug 698286 Bookmark Manager and sidebar completely empty.
  • bug 700308 SeaMonkey doesn’t start (stops during startup). No Breakpad dialog.

Working on:

  • bug 667962 jemalloc in 2010 doesn’t work on gmake.

  • bug 669026 Scrolling with arrow keys is broken if any element on the page has contenteditable=true.
  • bug 669203 directoryTreeView shouldn’t alter selection when an address book is added/removed from places other than the address book.
  • bug 692731 Fork nsISidebar.
  • bug 698217 Simplify new static Preference methods.

Ratty

Done:

Working on:

  • bug 701051 Reduce CPU load in the Download Manager UI during downloads (Port bug 397424).

  • bug 701428 Include hyphenation dictionaries in omnijar – remove old files from builds on update.
  • bug 701432 Add support for fave icons on jump list uri entries.

ToDo:

  • bug 694786 Remove hard coded dependency on xpinstallItemGeneric.png from notification.xml

  • Remove modern dependency on winstripe images, copy them into the comm-central tree instead.

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

sgautherie

Stanimir

stefanh

tonymec

  • Nothing to declare.

Any other business?

  • Need to review project areas

    • IanN has put out a final draft of the project areas list, and will then confirm that anyone who is not in the loop already has been consulted.
  • Extended Support Releases (ESR)
    • At the moment looks like that will be based off either Gecko 8 or 9 so potentially that will be either 2.5 or 2.6 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.5/2.6.

    • Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability “extended” fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
    • A ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer both what Gecko it will be based on, and what MoCo’s general plans for their marketing/target/ support-levels etc are.
  • Geolocation.
    • Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.

    • For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", "https://www.google.com/loc/json"); to browser-prefs.js. However we’re not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.
  • Who went to MozCamp Europe 2011? (sgautherie, KaiRo, mcsmurf, Mnyromyr and stefanh)
  • Who is going to MozCamp Asia 2011? (Ratty).
    • Nothing planned w.r.t. SeaMonkey, but Ratty might give a lightning talk.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-15

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-11-15


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> andreasn

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

  • bernd_s of Germany who since late August has replied over 600 times on Get Satisfaction (as well as being a moderator of the German language Thunderbird support forum for many years!). Vielen Dank,”Bernd”!

  • Scott Nesbitt, who organized last week’s sprint to update to the Thunderbird FLOSS Manual

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
OpenSearch
  • Pretty much done. Needs testing before we hit beta.
Test Pilot
  • Various fixes landed over the last few days.

  • Gearing up for an initial study next week, which is intended to test the system out.

Experiments

  • Removing this section from the meeting structure in future.

    • Ubuntu integration has been completed. Any further updates for the roundtable.

    • Conversations is also ongoing and can be covered by roundtable.
    • Compose in a tab & Account Summary are ongoing projects that are currently on hold, and can be covered in feature work in future.

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 8
  • Although Firefox is generating a 8.0.1, the issues covered don’t affect our users, hence we are not planning on building an 8.0.1.
Thunderbird 9
  • Initial beta delayed due to finishing off some test pilot issues and getting tests green.

  • Currently there is build problem that’s stopping win32 repacks being generated. We are investigating.
  • Hope to have it out by Wednesday at the latest.
Thunderbird 10
  • Now on aurora branch. There are some test failures, waiting on a patch to land in mozilla-aurora.

  • Please test account provisioning & open search.
  • Account provisioning still needs some work, especially on the server side.
Thunderbird 11
Thunderbird 3.1.x

Extension of the week

  • No extension of the week this week

QA Updates

  • No QA update this week

Marketing Updates

  • Now at 7.7MM ADUs.

  • PR work for Tb 8 and Lightning 1.0.
  • First round of surveys done. Japan survey completed this week.
  • Hope everyone had a good MozCamp Europe. MozCamp Asia targeted for this weekend.
  • Getting ready for Tb 9 and Test Pilot studies.

Infrastructure Update

  • SSL Clients Certs: gone

  • MoCo LDAP Authentication: done
    • Buildbot Admin

    • Clobberer Admin
    • BuildAPI
    • Intranet
    • Permissions for some of the LDAP authentication have changed with the move and might need looking into

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 9.0b1 beta currently blocked on bug 702645 – win32_repack_beta broken due to “LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ‘mozcrt.lib'”

    • standard8 has a fix, we’ll start build 2 early today
  • Progressing on building Thunderbird on Firefox infrastructure. bhearsum devoting 1hr/week to help.

Web Update

  • No web update this week

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1549 new support topics (1121 one week ago) – Media:7-13NovemberThunderbirdGSstats-2011-11-14_1633.png

  2. Thunderbird 8 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues found in TB8
  3. Support Contributors, please add yourself to the Mozillians directory and tag yourself “Thunderbird”, “Support” and your city e.g. “Berlin”. Roland, rtanglao AT mozilla.com can vouch for you !
  4. Love to hear your views on how we can grow the Thunderbird community of developers, support folks, QA folks, documentation folks, etc
  5. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

  • Phillip attended Mozcamp, enjoyed the event and talked to lots of people

  • In progress to get rid of all the C code in Lightning!

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

  • No roundtable highlights this week

Attendees

andreasn, bwinton, standard8, gozer, jenzed, rebron, raphael, fallen, mconley

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-15

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Platform/2011-11-15


« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • 650-903-0800 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • We’ve rolled an 8.0.1 with bug 699134 and bug 700835, which is currently caught up in QA due to issues found related to Silverlight and RF

  • Our hope is to release 8.0.1 today, if we can iron out the issues

Firefox Development

  • Masatoshi Kimura has done excellent work fixing multiple URL bar issues (minor issues with protocol trimming, and longstanding character encoding issue particularly relevant to Japanese users), (bug 700566, bug 472669, bug 461304)
  • As a followup to the meeting we had a couple of weeks ago about improving responsiveness by eliminating main-thread IO, Dietrich, Marco and others have been doing great work tracking down the various guilty parties and finding people to fix them them. Work for the Storage API in particular is tracked in bug 699820, and Marco has a nice livemarks rewrite in bug 613588.
  • Silent Updates

    • Brian Working to land Windows UAC service this week.

    • Background updates: implementation finished, ready for testing. Started to work with incorporating Brian Bondy’s work to eliminate UAC dialogs.
    • Add-ons default to compatible fixes up for Aurora approval to land this week. Good work Blair.
  • Telemetry

    • UI is being fixed in Firefox 9 (beta) by Taras and Gavin. One change left to approve.

    • Will move to enabled by default on Nightly and Aurora.

Firefox Developer Tools

  • Firefox 8 – Shipped with Highlighter enabled. Creating a relnote to ship with 8.0.1 to send developers to Aurora 10 with the enhanced hotness.

Performance

GFX

JS

  • GC write barriers have landed

    • This is needed infrastructure for incremental GC

    • So incremental GC is coming soon
    • We could use help finding sites to test–sites that are hurt by GC pauses or other sites that do a lot of GC–please send to dmandelin or billm. They can also be posted in bug 702495.
  • Tracer removal will likely land this week

Layout

  • layout and graphics teams in Auckland working on performance

  • font size inflation (bug 627842, readability) landed and bounced (misread the try server results that weren’t showing up on tbpl). Hopefully will reland soon.

Video

  • Lots going on with WebRTC & OPUS at IETF in Taiwan this week.
  • Nothing new to report.

DOM

WebAPI

  • Able to access and dial phone from chrome-JS. Not a DOM API yet.

  • Battery done
  • IndexedDB: A few more API fixes. Lots of performance improvements.
  • First case conductor test for battery checked in.
  • Automated battery tests using qemu. (Far from landing though)
  • Camera UI getting closer.

Network

Plugins

Mobile

  • Beginning to land parts of the birch project twig back on to mozilla-central. No immediate plan to discard birch.

  • Flash improvements landed on birch this morning. Tomorrows nightly should have some goodness.
  • Patrick Walton’s (and chris lord’s, and Kats’s) panning and zooming code has landed on Birch. Team working on regressions.

Accessibility

  • Note that FF mobile is now configured to build with a11y. Instantiated when TalkBack is on. Work progressing.

Tree Management

  • Will need brief tree closure on Thursday for mobile native UI work. Details coming soon.

  • Current plan is to turn on the new android build types prior to code landing on m-c, so there will be burning until new code lands.
  • Currently have 110 tegras running tests; after 8.0.1 is out the door will enable another 38. Current wait times are looking good (98% test jobs started in 0-14 minutes), but we’ll continue to monitor.

Security

Date / Time

Item
Wed Nov 16 / 13:00 PST Add-On Sync
Thu Nov 17 / 10:00 PST Remote Debugging

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details
* IRC Channel: #security
* Etherpad: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/secreview
* Dial-in Info:
** In office or soft phone: extension 92
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
** Conference num 624

Stability Report

Desktop

  • bug 691847 – Bug with Windows Restore still high ~21000 in the last 24 hrs.

  • Hang monitor (bug 429592) is close to landing, two issues remain where our existing Talos tests are triggering the hang detector, in one case probably because the slow script dialog is disabled.
  • Triaging all the desktop crash regressions – http://bit.ly/sOvf6j.
  • New regressions

    • bug 701396 – JSC::Yarr::Interpreter::interpret. Top crash on the trunk. A couple of people have gotten it internally. Needs to be assigned.

    • bug 701399 – JSC::Yarr::execute. #2 crash on the trunk.
    • bug 702352 – js::detail::RegExpPrivate::decref. Might be related to the Yarr issues.
    • bug 700288 – mozilla::gfx::BaseRect. Might be a layout issue. Regression appeared in 8.0b6. Shows up in 8, 9 and 10.
    • bug 700732 – Appeared in 10a1. Marcia provided a possible regression range.
    • bug 701425 – Only appears on 9.0 starting with build id 20111105042036. Might be correlated to Norton 360(?). Top crash on 9.0b1.
  • 3rd party issues

    • bug 700369 – Seems to be related to Internet Download Manager

    • bug 700371 – Appears in 8.0 and other versions. Seems to be correlated to Free Download Manager
    • bug 700493 – Seems to be correlated to Yandex Bar.
    • bug 700572 – Something Bob Clary found – seems to be related to Flash 11.0.1.152. Only appearing on nightly (now Aurora) but not on other branches.
    • bug 701946 – McAfee Site Advisor
    • bug 702040, bug 702041 and bug 702042 – New spikes on 8.0 – looks like they might be malware related.
  • Firebug related issues logged last week

    • bug 701130 – 13000 crashes, mostly on 8.0. A few on 7.0. Logged for 10.0a1 but don’t see any crashes there.

    • bug 700761 – Haven’t been able to reproduce.
    • bug 700311 – Might be Firebug related.

Mobile

  • Socorro Bugs/Breakpad

  • Top issues

    • [NEW] bug 702255 [ICS] – Startup crash

    • [NEW] bug 702619 – Fennec crashes if at least 2 tabs are closed
    • [NEW] bug 702365 – Large screenshot can cause OOM on startup
      • Need this to be fixed for Tablets
    • bug 694566 – [birch] crashes on install [@ mozalloc_abort __swrite ]
      • Need valid STRs

Roundtable

15-November-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-14

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2011-11-14


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-11-14.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

Speaker Location: Mountain View
Ctalbert would like to nominate Tfair and Dougt for their work debugging the talos perma-orange on birch and getting us back to green in time for the test day. Ctalbert would also like to nominate BYK for his invaluable help in ensuring that cross browser mobile automation reports results properly.

Upcoming Events

Speaker Location: Mountain View

This Week

Monday, 14 November

Tuesday, 15 November

Wednesday, 16 November

Thursday, 17 November

Friday, 18 November

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Future (9, 10, 11)

Speaker Location:

Firefox Current (3.5, 3.6, 4.0 – 8.0)

Speaker Location:

Mobile Firefox

Speaker Location:

Thunderbird

Speaker Location: (no voice update).

  • The TB9 beta is delayed.

    • We’re working on it, it should be up soon.
  • OpenSearch and Account Provisioning have landed.
    • Followup bugs are being worked on.
  • There is a Thunderbird bug day today in #tb-qa!
    • Come help out, if you can.

Older Branch Work

Speaker Location:

Drumbeat

Speaker Location: Matt in Toronto
Report-back from Mozilla Festival

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details

Location
Your Name Here

What are you going to talk about?

Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen

Link to where audience can find out more information

What location will you be transmitting from?
Matt Brubeck

Answering support questions

Play this video <= that’s the presentation

Blog post

The Internet!

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

  • Firefox 8.0.1:

    • We have been working over the weekend to investigate causes for explosive crash we need to address.

    • Working on gathering information for RoboForm dll blocklisting
  • Fx9, 10:
    • Tested and shipped versions of Beta and Aurora
Desktop Firefox
Mobile
Open Webapps
WebQA
QA Community
Automation Services

Automation & Tools

Security

Date / Time

Item
Wed Nov 09 / 13:00 PST Add-On Sync
Thu Nov 10 / 10:00 PST Remote Debugging

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details
* IRC Channel: #security
* Etherpad: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/secreview
* Dial-in Info:
** In office or soft phone: extension 92
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
** Conference num 624

SecTeam Conferences

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Apps

Developer Tools

  • As noted in the Mozilla Hacks article, the new Aurora release offers a collection of web developer tools to help people dive into the CSS of their pages.

  • The Orion project noted that last week’s new Firefox release includes the Orion code editing component for use with the Scratchpad feature. You’ll need to toggle a preference to see it in the release, but it’s turned on by default in the new Aurora.

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

New Hire

Introduced by

Speaker location

Will be working on
New person’s name here

Who will be introducing that person?

From which office will that introduction be transmitted?

What will the new person be working on?
Hal Wine (hwine on irc)

John O’Duinn

Mountain View

Release Engineering!
Alina Hua

Alex Fowler

Mountain View

Global Data & Privacy Lead
Katherine Naszradi

Mary Colvig

Mountain View

Community Engagement Coordinator
John Schoenick

Johnny Stenback

Mountain View

DOM team
Justin D’Arcangelo

Andreas Gal

Mountain View

Software Engineer

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

10-November-2011

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-09

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Mobile/Notes/09-Nov-2011


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • vidyo: Warp Core

Schedule

  • Merge happened yesterday

  • Next merge date is 2011-12-20

Major Topics for This Week

  • A release roadmap for Fennec Native is coming soon

    • Trying to overlap with normal release channels

    • Likely release 1.0 from birch
  • Working on a change to UA
    • The big issue is how do we get websites to send Firefox Mobile ideal content

    • The UA itself is only seen as a step to get better content
    • See bug 701056 for a different approach
  • Landing of the Pan/Zoom patch queue
    • kats/cwiis/dougt/blassey/patrick looking a general test failure
  • Adobe dropping Flash

Application

Native Front-end

Android Platform

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Snorp

Kats

Last week

  • Started looking at find-in-page, then dropped it for higher priority things

  • Mostly working on the pan-zoom patch queue:
    • Fixed up some pinching/panning behaviour

    • Put up a patch for having per-tab scroll/zoom information
    • Put up a patch for saving/restoring scroll/zoom information for the screenshot
  • This morning: fixed a bug causing crashes on Honeycomb
  • Hopefully figured out what was causing the pan-zoom build to fail tests

Next week

  • Continue working on pan-zoom issues

  • Pick up other P1/P2 issues as needed

Blockers

  • Need to land birch-pan-zoom! Working in patch queues has very high overhead, and generally is FAIL.

GBrown

Last week:

  • mobile network disk cache has been enabled (finally!)

    • 10 M capacity

    • see about:cache
  • build startup cache at package time: works for development environment, but there are complications for nightly builds — discussing with ted and jmaher (bug 696095)
  • network cache compression: testing, analysis in progress

Next week:

  • wrap up startup cache

  • concentrate on disk cache

AlexP

  • Last week

    • Investigated IME bugs: 630576, 632538, 696319, 698419, 698352, 697838, 699465, 667619.

    • Implemented a WIP patch for the bug 630576
    • Finally got a phone with hardware keyboard to work on the HKB-specific bugs
    • Submitted a patch for hardware keyboard bug 697773 “Cannot type in AwesomeBar URL bar with hard keyboard”, but this broke the touch mode, so needs another solution.
  • This week
    • Continue working on IME bugs, focus on HKB-specific ones

Chris Lord

GCP

  • Last week: Finished popup doorhangers. Doing some UrlClassifier patches.

  • Now: Finishing up those patches wrt review comments. Will be looking at bugs. If no more urgent issues, will look at Download Manager.
  • Blockers: Nothing

Brian N

  • Last week

    • Search engines

    • Pan/zoom dead space patch
    • Telemetry opt-in UI
  • This week
    • Finish search engines

    • Pan/zoom
  • Blocked on
    • Nothing

Sriram

  • Last Week:

    • Completed the tabs-list as per UI Spec

    • Implemented stacking of doorhangers
    • Moved doorhangers to the top
  • This Week:

    • Landed fixing the “drawable” folders for menu

    • Working on reskinning doorhangers
    • Working on animating tab increment/decrement counter
  • Blockers:

    • Resources for doorhangers from Patryk

WesJ

Last week:

  • Touch events – bug 603008 -> Patches are up. There’s a build at http://people.mozilla.com/~wjohnston/fennec_touch.apk if people want to play/compare to others. Report problems in the bug. Waiting for review. Also, the layers stuff breaks the widget half of this in major ways.

  • UA string stuff. Happy to let dicussion continue for another few days. Then want to make a final decision.

This week:

  • Double Tap zoom

  •  ? Responsiveness ?
  • More context menu entries

Blocked on:

  • Startup crash for new ‘layers’ builds

  • UX for context menus. What do we want to keep? Throw out?

LucasR

Last week

  • AwesomeBar screen as per design

  • Favicon caching
  • Misc cleanups

Next week

  • Follow-up bugs on favicon cache and awesome screen

  • Misc bug fixing

Blocked on

  • Nothing.

MBrubeck

Margaret

Last week:

This week:

  • Continue work on form history and about:config

BLassey

Last week:

  • fixed usage of Cursors bug 700218 and bug 700922

  • fixed incorrect screenshot after clearing app data bug 699716 (hasn’t landed)
  • fixed usage of AsyncTasks bug 700354 (hasn’t landed)
  • fixed screenshot behavior with user defined profiles (for testing) bug 700917
  • added support for overriding package name with test scripts bug 700797

This week:

  • help land patch queue

Blocked on:

  • landing of patch queue

DougT

  • lots of merging

  • lots of reviews
  • lots of meetings
  • Helping land the panning zooming patch queue
  • fixed some of the offline mode bugs we had

MFinkle

Done:

  • More reviews!

  • Landed basic Password Manager prompts
  • Close to asking for review on the new add-ons manager
  • Banging head on mobile UA story

Next:

  • Add support for new DoorHanger features so we can finish PasswordManager w/ Doorhangers

  • Land basic add-on manager rewrite
  • Encourage some additional context menus – great first bugs for contributors!
  • Get around to blogging

See online status

Madhava

  • Last week: Add-ons flow revisions (done), cataloging missing pieces

  • This week: sync setup and pref flow, prefs, bugs open on missing pieces (i.e. these and these

Ian Barlow

  • Last week:

    • Lots of mocks and specs

    • Awesomescreen [1]
    • Tab menu [2]
    • Header / URL Bar states [3]
    • Menu Icons [4] :)
  • This week:
    • UI Reviews, filing bugs

    • Working on new designs for a Start Page, Reading Mode,
  • Blockers: Nope

Patryk Adamczyk

Last Week
+ Door hanger designs: updated as per Sriram request included in bug #698598
+ Add ons: created a flow / mock up designs with various scenarios and attached them to the add ons bug #696532

This Week
Supporting dev in implementation if any new graphics are needed.

Blockers
None

Round Table

Testing

Talos has been random orange since last thursday. We need to address this. I propose we back everything out since the last solid green (Doug’s push on Wednesday). People will need to reland their patches after that.

Going forward, we may need a birch sheriff or some other mechanism to make things better.

QA

  • P0, P1 features have all been assigned to Test Owners. Next step, testcases; bug triaging; testday (this friday)
  • Flash is now on Aurora are we still planning on disable by default?
  • Crash report changing from this to more simplified version of Native only crashes.

    • will continue to report and monitor other channels, report is just simplified

    • If there are any more improvements to make it easier to look at please let nhirata know.
    • big crash following the quit – bug 700720 (not in the current report as of yet) Kats got this fixed.
  • Performance :

    • Working with Waverly to crunch numbers

    • cTalbert has stuff automated as can be seen in elancaster’s video; missing part is that it needs to log to a server. he will have something towards the end of the week.

Other

  • (aki)

    • Tegras have low wait times + are afaik on par with n900s. Is there anything preventing us from turning off Maemo builds/tests?

    • Who should I speak with re: Android single locale repacks?
    • Do we still have a need for linux qt builds?
    • Do we need mobile desktop builds on checkin on all branches?
    • Now that FF8.0 has shipped, and 7.0 is EOL’d, we’re going to close out remaining maemo bugs.

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-09

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Firefox/Planning/2011-11-09


« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Actions from Last Week

  • Blizzard/Juan to come back on compat issues in Firefox 10 from UA version scraping

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 8)

  • Firefox 3.6.24 → 8.0 advertised update is scheduled for 2011-11-17

Beta (9)

  • Going to build for Firefox 9 beta 1 today

    • We normally build on Tuesday, it was delayed due to some migration issues

    • Hopefully pushing to the beta audience on late Thursday or early Friday
      • Depends on QA signoff
  • Big change in Fx9 is Type Inference

Aurora (10)

  • Daily updates are turned off while we qualify the builds / do backouts (as we always do)

  • We must fix bug 700988 before turning on daily updates

Nightly (11)

Firefox Mobile

8

9

  • Need to remove the “Install Aurora” promo (waiting to land)

10

  • Disabling Flash by default

Native UI

Firefox Sync

  • Firefox 10:

    • Improving Sync Set Up – Went into Aurora. Working with Support to make sure we update docs appropriately
  • Firefox 11+:
    • Push to Device – In development. You can play with an add-on here. Signing off on UX

    • Addon Sync – In development, signing off on UX.
    • Java Porting for Sync – is in progress

Add-on Builder

Add-on SDK

Release (1.2 -> Firefox 7, 8)

  • AMO-hosted addons based on SDK 1.1 were repacked to 1.2 last week for Firefox 8 release

  • this repack included locally-developed addons, but future repacks will include only Builder-developed ones, per plans previously announced
  • repack successful for most such addons (several hundred); authors of six with issues were notified

Stabilization (1.3 -> Firefox 8, 9)

  • 1.3b3 test build released yesterday, Tuesday, November 8 with a number of bug fixes

  • 1.3rc1 test build on track for next Tuesday, November 15
  • 1.3 final release on track for Tuesday, November 29
  • 1.2 tests as compatible with Firefox 9 test builds; thus it does not look like we’ll need to do a 1.2 -> 1.3 repack

Development (1.4 -> Firefox 9, 10)

  • continues apace, on track to merge to stabilization branch on Tuesday, November 29 and ship on Tuesday, January 10

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Firefox 8

  • Favicons are lost on bookmark bar/many sites. [1]

  • Extensions (especially especially Java Console) but also Roboform, Trusteer, Norton, AVG
  • Some people are reporting that accessing pages from the address bar doesn’t work, have to search/use bookmarks.
  • Very weird: Add-ons manager is completely blank (although extensions are there) and the add-on selection screen didn’t show. [2]
  • Possibly crashier

General

  • We pushed a snippet (again) that broke Restore previous session from about:home. bug 682944

Mobile

UX & User Research

Market Insights

Competitors

  • Javascript

    • Intel released a beta Firefox extension for their River Trail project, which allows browser Javascript engines to access the vector processing extensions present on most/all multicore CPUs.
  • Adobe Flash

    • Adobe announced they will not continue to develop the mobile Flash browser plug-in, but will rather focus efforts on their AIR platform for mobile.
  • Windows XP / Windows 7

    • Windows XP’s market share is starting to decrease more rapidly as enterprises move to (finally) adopt Windows 7. Net Applications said that Windows’ market share dropped 2.5% in October alone, and is now at 48%.
  • Windows 8

    • All tile updates/notifications in the Metro interface will be “data-driven”, in that they will be pushed from application backends to Microsoft’s “Windows Push Notification Service”, analogous to Apple’s APNS and Google’s Cloud to Device Messaging service.
  • IE10

    • The IE10 team provided more detail regarding their implementation of spell-checking in IE10, which will, for commonly-misspelled words, also offer auto-correction. It will also offer full support for the HTML5 spellcheck attribute for content input elements.
  • IE9

    • Microsoft also unveiled a promotion, apparently aimed at Firefox and Chrome users on Vista and Windows 7, where users who upgrade to IE9 can obtain free movie tickets or Hulu streaming, despite the fact that Windows XP users are not permitted to upgrade to IE9.
  • Webkit

    • Recent changes have given Apple’s JavaScriptCore another 3.8% speed improvement on Kraken and 3.5% on v8, with parallel tracing added to garbage collection, reducing pauses by 50% in regular usage.

      • Microsoft indicated that one of their upcoming products will require the addition of an allow-popups directive to the iframe sandbox, so the Webkit team added it this week.

      • A compile-time flag has been added for CSS Shaders, indicating that work there will be commencing soon.
  • Google Chrome

    • Google, in their beta channel, released the “sign in to Chrome” feature, allowing, as with Firefox Sync, for profiles to be synchronized across devices and for more than one user to share the same device without commingling bookmarks and other settings.
  • Apple Safari

    • Sencha proclaims that Safari on the iPhone 4s and iOS 5 as providing the best mobile HTML5 developer platform, citing its speedy canvas, WebGL, device compass, web workers, and XHR level 2 support.
  • Bonus: Javascript growth on top websites

    • There’s been a 35% growth in average amount of Javascript included on the Top 12,000 websites globally in the last 12 months, as reported by httparchive.org: http://bit.ly/vjTsv2

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • Samsung became the biggest smartphone vendor in Q3, followed by Apple, Nokia, HTC and RIM
  • 44% of all Android devices run on v2.3, with 41% on v2.2 and 11% on v 2.1, but Android fragmentation is a costly business
  • The next version of Google TV will run on Android
  • Adobe will stop working on Flash for mobile
  • Opera announced 131 million users for Opera Mini and released platform stats
  • Sony now fully owns SonyEricsson, and new rumours of WebOS acquisition surface
  • Quad-core Tegra 3 phones are on their way

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • Christian announced a script to scrape input and generate CSVs last week. There was a bug in it for certain types of queries

    • Cheng was right! We generally have more negative feedback than positive in input

      • There is surely selection bias in there so the more interesting information is trends and comparing various Firefox versions
    • If you are using the script, make sure you have the latest, which is confirmed fixed
  • I think I remember hearing that Fx 9 might be the last XUL version of Firefox mobile. Is that still the plan? Will Firefox 10 be the native UI version of mobile that’s on nightlies now?
  • Myk: I started the Jetpack Features working group to investigate the feasibility of shipping core Firefox features as default addons built with the Add-on SDK.
  • If you’re going to a MozCamp, make sure to point people excited about NativeUI to the new Mobile Test Drivers Program (http://www.mozilla.org/mobile/testdrivers).

Actions this week

  • Johnathan to talk to engagement about bug 682944, and our process for snippet QA

9-November-2011

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-08

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2011-11-08


last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> sancus

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

  • Chris Coulson

    • Chris has done a ton of work with integrating both Thunderbird and Firefox nicely with Ubuntu. He’s a machine.

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Account Provisioner
  • Landed.

  • Some test fallout will hopefully be fixed soon (see bug 700657)
  • The ability to pref off this feature will hopefully land today, which will be good for Enterprise deployments. (see bug 700535)
  • There’s still some polish needed here. mconley will be looking into it, and tracking that work for Earlybird.
OpenSearch
  • Landed

  • Please test both this and opensearch.
Test Pilot

Experiments

Thunderbird Conversations
Compose in a tab
Account Summary
Tabs on top
Ubuntu Unity Integration

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 8
Thunderbird 9
  • Merges to beta channel today, beta release later this week.
Thunderbird 10
  • Merges to aurora channel today.
Thunderbird 3.1.x

Extension of the week

  • Bidi mail UI let’s people using rtl languages use thunderbird completely.

QA Updates

Marketing Updates

  • TB 8 and Lightning 1.0 communication and press activities.

  • Moz Camp prep, presos and swag.
  • Tb Surveys in process for Japan, working through data for US, France, and Germany.

Infrastructure Update

  • 10 minute network outage yesterday. Fun stuff!

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 8, 3.1.16, and major updates released

  • in-tree mozconfigs (bug 685166)

Web Update

  • TB8 whatsnew page mostly localized prior to launch bug 699057

  • Account Provisioning broker updated to new format, AOL not live yet, waiting on their test server info.

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 1121 new support topics (1165 one week ago) – Media:31October-6NovemberGSMetrics-2011-11-07_1510.png

  2. Thunderbird 7 Support Issues
  3. Thunderbird 8 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues found in TB8 starting with TB8 Beta 1
  4. Support Contributors, please add yourself to the Mozillians directory and tag yourself “Thunderbird”, “Support” and your city e.g. “Vancouver”. Roland, rtanglao AT mozilla.com can vouch for you !
  5. Love to hear your views on how we can grow the Thunderbird community of developers, support folks, QA folks, documentation folks, etc
  6. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-08

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Platform/2011-11-08


« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • 650-903-0800 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Notices / Schedule

  • Firefox 8 was just released!

  • Firefox 3.6.24 is being released right now
  • mozilla-aurora and mozilla-beta are closed while Christian finishes up the migrations

Firefox Development

  • DOM fullscreen API (including Firefox front-end support) enabled on trunk (bug 700151)

  • zpao and dietrich have patches that help reduce hangs caused by sessionstore state serialization (bug 698565)
  • “Set up Sync” and “Add a device” links added to about:home (bug 675821)
  • Silent Update
    • Removal of OS security dialog for Windows could not land before the cut over. We’re discussing whether to include this feature in Firefox 10.

    • A number of changes have landed for Add-ons Default to Compatible. Still on track for Firefox 10.
    • Background updates implementation almost complete, working on more automated tests.

Firefox Developer Tools

  • Landings this week:

    • Style Inspector UI refresh and perf improvements

    • CSS Rule View
    • Style Sidebar
    • Scratchpad session restore
    • console.time/timeEnd

Performance

GFX

JS

Layout

  • readability (font size inflation, bug 627842) close but not landed yet (close to addressing review comments and test failures; still need to check performance test results)

Video

  • Fullscreen API enabled for FF10! (cpearce)

DOM

WebAPI

  • IndexedDB coming along great. Over half of outstanding bugs fixed

  • File support is nearing done, but needs review
  • Camera for desktop needs build-love on windows
  • Battery landed

Network

  • Changing the UA String on mobile. Please see the platform newsgroup [1].

Plugins

Mobile

  • Making progress on p0/p1/p2. Working toward test day on Friday.

  • Landing plan and roadmap being worked on. Should have it for general review this week.
  • planning to land async panning and zooming patches today (“pcwalton’s patch queue”). There will be regressions from this that we need to work through
  • working on the privacy and security review for the places replacement system on android.

Accessibility

Multi-Process

  • As discussed last week, e10s has been put on hold to focus on other responsiveness projects with shorter timelines. [2]

Tree Management

  • OSX test machine updates

    • Rev4 Lion (10.7) test machines in production, and un-hidden in most places

    • Will be shutting off Rev3 OSX machines soon bug 683734
    • If you notice any test failures specific to the Rev4 machines, please let releng/jhford know!
  • New high-water mark yesterday: 23,822 test jobs yesterday.

Security

Date / Time

Item
Wed Oct 09 / 13:00 PST Navigation Timing API
Thu Nov 10 / 10:00 PST bug 661877 Enable storing files in IndexedDB
Fri Nov 11 / 10:00 PST Android System Storage

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details
* IRC Channel: #security
* Etherpad: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/secreview
* Dial-in Info:
** In office or soft phone: extension 92
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
** Conference num 624

SecTeam Conferences

Stability Report

Desktop

  • Bugs we are tracking

    • Watching many 3rd party issues

    • bug 699776 – Trusteer Rapport – appearing across all versions.
    • bug 699781 – skypeffcomponent.dll@0x87107 – new Skype signature appeared Nov 3rd, 2011. Now the top crashers > 2000 daily on 7.0.1.
    • bug 700369 – Internet Download Manager
    • bug 700371 – Free Download manager
  • Regressions
    • bug 700288 – crash in mozilla::gfx::BaseRect – something new that appeared on b6, not in super high volume but a new regression.

    • Nightly regressions with js debugger bug 700311 and bug 700302
    • bug 700364 Spike in flash issues with 11.2.202.61. Affecting Win XP users and was served as an automatic update to users running the labs.adobe.com version.
    • bug 700732 Small volume crash in mozilla::layers::SurfaceToTexture
  • Component Report Bugs Filed:
    • bug 700493 Firefox Crash @ @0x0 | nsXULPrototypeCache::HasData(nsIURI*, int*) ] (Correlated to Yandex Bar)

    • bug 700487 Firefox Crash @ js::gc::MarkAtomRange

Mobile

Roundtable

  • Since this call began, we have also shipped 3.6.24!

REMEMBER: This is the last call for the 8605 conference line. As of next week, use the vidyo dial in listed in the notes

8-November-2011

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2011-11-07

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2011-11-07


« previous week | index | next week »

<script>if (window.showTocToggle) { var tocShowText = “show”; var tocHideText = “hide”; showTocToggle(); } </script>

Video for today’s meeting

<video controls=”controls”><source src=”http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/air_mozilla/monday_meetings/status-2011-11-07.ogg” type=”video/ogg; codecs=”theora, vorbis””/></video>

Friends of the Tree

Speaker Location: Mountain View

  • Janet Swisher nominates longtime accessibility contributor Aaron Leventhal for revitalizing the ARIA docs on MDN.

Upcoming Events

Speaker Location: Mountain View

This Week

Monday, 7 November

Tuesday, 8 November

Wednesday, 9 November

Thursday, 10 November

Friday, 11 November

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: Phone (johnath)

  • Migration week!

  • Tomorrow 8 goes out the door, Beta becomes 9, Aurora becomes 10, Nightly becomes 11
    • Remember: 8 has a bunch of smarts around third-party add-ons, including some new UI, so even with beta behind us we’re gonna hear some surprise and learn a lot in the first 24 hours.

    • But we think it means our add-on compatibility story will get a lot better (and maybe our user experience, too, for many users!)
    • Firefox 3.6.24 is going out the door tomorrow as well
    • Firefox 3.6.x → Firefox 8 advertised update is currently planned for 2011-11-17

Firefox Android

Speaker Location: Phone (toronto)

  • Holy crap the birch builds of Native UI for Android are getting excellent.

    • Tabbed browsing

    • awesome bar
    • preferences
    • save as PDF
    • a new panning/zooming patch landing soon
    • and all of it needs your help testing

Thunderbird

Speaker Location: (No voice update)

  • It’s migration week for us, just like Firefox!

  • Crowd testing event during next week – details are on the tb-testers mailing list. if you want to participate – shout an email to ludovic@mozilla.com
  • Lightning 1.0 being released tomorrow!

Drumbeat

Speaker Location:

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Presenter

Topic

Media

More Details

Location
Aakash Desai

Mozillians.org and “Groups”

A brief demo on how to add groups onto your profile and why its important!

Release Blogpost

Mountain View
Jason Haas

The Mozilla Student Reps Program is back!

Preso slides-PDF

A brief overview of the program: where it’s been, where it is now, and where it’s going.

San Francisco
William R

Firefox Live returns

Slides – use right arrow to advance

Firefox Live launches 11/9

San Francisco
Alex Keybl (Release Management)

Mobile Dogfood Program Announcement

Coming Soon

San Francisco
Dave Dash (Webdev)

Webdev Bootcamp

http://mozweb.rtfd.org/

Mountain View

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution
  • Fennec 8 RC testing signed off

  • Testday for Fennec Native planned this friday, 11/11
WebQA

AMO 6.2.7: http://cl.ly/0i0I3d121f0o293k2p0t
SUMO http://moxie.jamessocol.com/bugstats/sumo/2011-11-01
Mozilla.com 4.3

QA Community
Automation Services

Automation & Tools

  • Mobile automation up to 97% reliable now. Back out any unexplained oranges you see on mobile.

  • Peptest is a new test harness designed for testing responsiveness of individual actions
    • Work coming along, but would like feedback on the kinds of features you’d like to see in such a harness – ping ahal (ahalberstadt@mozilla.com)

    • See bug 674606 and bug 692091
    • Blog post
  • Working on bugzilla performance monitoring and improvements (see more notes for graphs
  • New bughunter UI is coming along, see this link for screenshots
  • As always more notes here

Security

Date / Time

Item
Wed Oct 31 / 13:00 PST Navigation Timing API
Thu Nov 03 / 10:00 PST bug 661877 Enable storing files in IndexedDB

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details
* IRC Channel: #security
* Etherpad: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/secreview
* Dial-in Info:
** In office or soft phone: extension 92
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
** Conference num 624

SecTeam Conferences

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

Introducing New Hires

New Hire

Introduced by

Speaker location

Will be working on
New person’s name here

Who will be introducing that person?

From which office will that introduction be transmitted?

What will the new person be working on?
Eric Parker

Michael Coates

Mountain View

Infrastructure Security – Intrusion Detection
John Morrison

Tony Chung

Mountain View

Services QA
Celia Liang

Zandr Milewski

Mountain View

Irakli Gozalishvili

Dave Townsend

San Francisco

Jetpack

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress