Meeting Notes

31-January-2012

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2012-01-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2012-01-30

« previous week | index | next week »

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600
  • http://air.mozilla.org/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #airmozilla for backchannel discussion

Contents

Friends of the Tree

Felipe nominates:

- Sergio Campos: for actively working on bug 704125 (crash caused by an add-on), finding the right authors and keeping in touch with them through the whole process of getting the problem resolved

- Reuben Moraes, Clauber Stipkovic and Marcelo Araldi (possibly more people that I’m forgetting) for getting the community organized to reach people in Brazil who were experiencing the crash and explain the problem and workaround

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 30 January

Tuesday, 31 January

Wednesday, 01 February

Thursday, 02 February

Thursday is Answer user questions on SUMO Day

Friday, 03 February

  • [QA] Firefox 11.0 Beta 1 Testday: QMO

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: Toronto

  • Release week!

    • FF10

    • ESR
    • Migration day is tomorrow
  • FF11’s scheduled release in March coincides with patch Tuesday, we might do something about that. Watch r-d/dev-planning if that’s exciting to you.

Firefox Mobile

Speaker Location: Toronto

  • Checkpointing daily on beta status

  • No more features, focusing on fundamentals: performance, stability, compatibility.

Thunderbird

Speaker Location:

Older Branch Work

Speaker Location:

Drumbeat

Speaker Location: Matt in Toronto

Teaching the Fourth ‘R': Webmaking as a vital 21st century skill

Is teaching kids the web now as important as teaching other basic literacies like reading and math?
Join an online “fireside chat” with author and academic Cathy Davidson, hosted by Mozilla’s Mark Surman.

Identity

Speaker Location:

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

Title Presenter Topic Media More Details
Your Title Here Your Name Here What are you going to talk about? Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Alex Fowler ACTA

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution

  • Actively testing Firefox 10, ESR, and 3.6.26 as we drive to release this week

  • Ongoing and active investigation of issues related to GC/CC timings (contact Juan Becerra or Anthony Hughes if you want to help)
  • Also have eyes on Firefox 11, 12, and 13 for merge to beta, aurora, and nightly, respectively this week
  • Actively testing split APK solution for Android Marketplace

WebQA

  • AMO

  • Mozilla.com
    • Shipped 1.2 and parts of 1.3 milestone
  • Mozillians
    • waiting for 1.3 milestone code freeze, qa to begin shortly

    • on-boarding a new community member
  • MDN
    • working on 2.1 milestone
  • Socorro
  • SUMO
    • 1/24 release went out

    • 1/31 release in progress
  • Case Conductor
    • 2/3 is the upcoming .8 release
  • mozwebqa-templates
    • Overhauled and converted to WD by Zac and Sergey (contributor)

    • Looking for a couple of people to review it for us

QA Community

  • Working on a community action plan to grow our community through 2012 and beyond; please help us by taking part in the discussion on the dev-quality newsgroup

Automation Services

Automation & Tools

  • Dkl added X-headers to bugmail to indicate when a “new to bugzilla” contributor attached his or her first patch bug 719526

  • Eideticker checkerboarding tests are now more reliable. Setting up an automated machine in mountain view for them this week
  • Robocop is running in staging today (mobile UX automation)
  • B2G test and build automation is live!
  • Default to Compatible automation is nearly ready to go – waiting on VMs from IT. See bug 718403 for status. This is a joint project between QA, A*team, and AMO.
  • More updates here

Security

Security Reviews Scheduled for this week

Date / Time Item
Mon Jan 30 / 13:00 PST No Review, please attend Fuzzing Brownbag
Wed Feb 1 / 13:00 PST bug 718066 – [meta] Add feature to submit anonymous product metrics to Mozilla
THU Feb 2 / 10:00 PST Instant Messenger in Thunderbird
Fri Feb 3/ 10:00 AM PST AVAILABLE SLOT

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

For updates to meetings please see the Security Review Calendar

Security Review Needed but Unscheduled

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Apps

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

People Team

WebFWD

We’ve begun partnering with local accelerators: Rockstart in Amsterdam and MuckerLab in Los Angeles. Please let us know if you have contacts in the startup community in either location!

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Who is the new hire? Who will be introducing that person? From which office will that introduction be transmitted? What will the new person be working on?
Pete Scanlon Chris Beard Mt. View Sr. Director, Brand Engagement
Paul Theriault Dan Veditz Mt. View Security Researcher
Michelle Marovich Bret Reckard Mt. View Recruiting Lead
Kym Lee Bret Reckard Mt. View Staffing Associate
Brandon Burton Corey Shields Torrance, CA Web Operations Engineer
Rosana Biela David Tenser Germany Community Support Program Manager
Trevor Norris Gilbert FitzGerald Mt. View Metrics Engineer
Peter O’Neill Tim Fairfield Mountain View Desktop Support
Vinh Hua Tim Fairfield Mountain View Desktop Support

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Who is the new intern? Who will be introducing that person? From which office will that introduction be transmitted? What will the new person be working on?
Darwin Derosans Tim Fairfield Mountain View Desktop Support
Ashlee Chavez Tim Fairfield Mountain View Desktop Support
Sal Espinoza Tim Fairfield Mountain View Network Operations

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

26-January-2012

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2012-01-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Mobile/Notes/25-Jan-2012

Contents

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room

Schedule

  • String freeze: 2012-01-17 (Aurora)

    • Missed! We still have several patches that need to land on m-c and/or m-a

    • Need a bug list of what needs string changes
    • add ‘late-l10n’ keyword to bugs that need strings.
  • Next merge: 2012-01-31
    • This will put Native on Beta

    • We will be discussing whether Native is ready for Beta during this week

Major Topics for This Week

  • Crashes are still too high

  • UI Responsiveness got worse (and is getting better)

Application

Native Front-end

Android Platform

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to 120 seconds!

James W. (snorp)

Kats

  • Last week

    • fixed bug 703347 (void beneath the web needs background)

    • fixed bug 713780 (performance regression from JSONStringer)
    • fixed bug 717085 (bad viewport on background tabs during session restore)
    • fixed bug 716863 (can end up in overscroll after panning a subdocument)
    • fixed bug 719954 (testBookmark hangs and also doesn’t actually test bookmarks)
    • fixed bug 718961 (regression in visited history link coloring)
    • patch pending review for bug 712065 (SVG pages were cropped)
    • worked on bug 720144 (pan/zoom tests) – got a little stuck trying to get a bitmap of what’s displayed on-screen but have some possible options i’m trying
  • Next week

    • keep working on more bugs
  • Blockers

    • none right now

GBrown

Last week:

Next week:

  • Finish bug 696095.

  • Bug 705192 – remotexpcshelltests.py cannot execute xpcshell via SUT agent
  • Bug 716948 – LinkedIn buttons are blank when viewing invitation

AlexP

Last week

  • bug 711648 – Pre-commit underline is not shown for the composing text

    • Finished composition events fixes

    • Pushed the patch
  • bug 712972 – Can’t type mzl.la into awesome bar
    • Discussed the bug with Madhava, confirmed the workaround and pushed the patch

    • Filed a follow-up bug 719527 – Enable input suggestions for the AwesomeBar when it’s in Search mode
  • IndexOutOfBoundsException in SpannableStringBuilder.getChars() – bugs 717932, 720085, 720092.
    • Started looking at the crashes – could not reproduce yet, trying to add more checks for range boundaries
  • bug 708280 – delay checking for update
    • Investigated possible solutions

    • Implemented a fix

This week

  • Work on the assigned bugs

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

  • Last week:

    • bug 717283 – On-demand tile usage

    • bug 718388 – Use viewport ‘prediction’ to reduce checkerboarding
    • Reviews
  • This week:
    • Finally landed bug 717283

    • Fixed bug 720663 – devicemanagerADB pushDir fallback doesn’t always work
    • Looking at bug 717349 – Telemetry to measure checkerboarding
    • Looking at reducing resolution based on checkerboarding (depends on above)
    • Hopefully help with bug 716581 (Investigate tile-by-tile rendering to reduce checkerboarding)
    • More reviews

Chris Peterson

  • Last Week

    • DONE bug 714874 – Fixed Java warnings for Fennec and Sync

    • Investigating non-Java compositor path
    • Continuing Socorro and ProGuard investigation
  • This Week

    • DONE bug 701002 – Fixed Fennec crash reporting for Socorro

    • DONE bug 709170 – Don’t build Java debug when we don’t have to. Shrinks apk by a whole *50KB*! ;)
    • SOLVED bug 715298 – Fennec Java builds succeed on “linux-ix-slave” builders, but fail on “try-linux-slave” builders
      • bug 709230 – Preparing ProGuard optimizer patches for review
  • Blockers

    • None.

GCP

  • Last week:

    • bug 702217 OOM crash in nsUrlClassifierStore::ReadPrefixes or nsUrlClassifierPrefixSet::SetPrefixes is fixed but begot:

      • bug 719531 FallibleTArray can cause OOM aborts

      • bug 716638 mozalloc_handle_oom should propogate the failed allocation size into crash reports
      • bug 720444 Add more available memory reporting to crash reports
    • bug 713228 SQLiteDatabaseCorruptException: database disk image is malformed: PRAGMA synchronous=1;
    • bug 719125 Profile Migration does not preserve frequency count.
    • bug 713283 Profile migration takes forever
    • bug 710331 UX for bookmarks and history import
    • bug 720461 Crash in profile migration NumberFormatException [@ PlacesTask.migrateHistory]
  • This week:
    • bug 673470 Replace the sqlite safeb store with a flat file (m-c landing)

    • bug 715550 Migration of Sync settings from XUL Fennec
  • Blockers:
    • Potentially dependencies between bugs for m-c -> m-a (see patch queue)

Brian N

  • Done

    • bug 716906 – Add “Firefox Sync” item to settings

    • bug 701092 – Limit session restore attempts
    • bug 719662 – Use nsIPrefLocalizedString for getComplexValue
    • bug 715225 – Clean up menu contents
    • Investigated bug 716681 – Tabs are being duplicated when going back into Fennec
  • Next

    • bug 719900 – Remove blank favicon images from awesomebar lists

    • bug 710845 – Search engine disabled in Add-ons Manager still appears in Awesome Screen search results
    • bug 717428 – Reuse favicons in DB

Sriram

  • Last Week

    • Vacation – slurping coffee – 4 times a day :-D
  • This Week
    • Completed restricting height of tabs menu

    • Working on autocomplete popup list related bugs
    • WIP on URL bar with a tail – waiting for newer resources from Ian
      • This fixes a lot of polish bugs on URL bar
  • Blockers
    • Newer set of resources from Ian to complete URL bar

WesJ

Last week:

  • Landed touch events! Disabled touch events! A few issues left to sort out

    • bug 721079 – preventDefault on touchmove isn’t handled quickly enough

    • bug 721076 – ACTION_UP (Android event) issues
    • bug 721080 – Make pages release panning
  • Password Sync
    • bug 704682 – Password provider – has r+

    • bug 718817 – Deleted passwords database – waiting for r
  • A slew of other bugs, mostly dealing with select elements

This week:

  • bug 718760 – Java crypto. Had some meetings about a range of options. Hope to have a patch up soon.

LucasR

Last week

  • Invite users to setup sync on about:home

  • Frequent crash on local DB
  • Version and icons on addons in about:home
  • Organizing focused effort to fix UX for tabs and startup

Next week

  • More P1/P2 bugs

  • Startup-related bugs
  • Start preparing FOSDEM talk about Firefox Mobile

Blockers

  • None

MBrubeck

Done:

  • bug 718296 – Can’t navigate to host without a .tld

  • bug 719795 – Crash when GeckoSmsManager.init is called more than once
  • bug 717283 – Fix Android build bustage
  • bug 719271 – Site-specific zoom level shouldn’t apply to media documents
  • Ported Full Screen add-on to native Fennec, found some problems (bug 719557).
  • Interviewed an Android developer for BrowserID position.

Next:

  • bug 715179 – Custom UI for font inflation prefs. (Not for Aurora?)

  • Bug fixing and UI polish.

Margaret

Done:

Next:

  • Continue looking into UI responsiveness pain points

  • More random bugs

Scott (jwir3)

BLassey

  • triage, reviews, meetings

  • built an AOSP image for panda boards and got tests running on it
  • broke up screenshots to make them not block the message loop
  • made screenshots cancelable

DougT

  • Triaging, patch review, mentoring…

  • Investigating topcrash crashes.

MFinkle

Done:

  • Gave a “Firefox Mobile: After the Reboot” preso at Mozilla Vision (Tokyo)

  • Made a “Firefox Mobile: After the Reboot” blog post as well
  • Did some digging into TouchBadMemory crash to help split out issues
  • Reviews

Next:

  • Reviews

  • More work on add-ons options (bug 696533)
  • Work on planning for Beta

Madhava

Things it would be great to have done for beta:

  • Experience of startup / page load

    • Cut down the amount of checkerboarding – bug 716581

    • Handful of startup weirdness bugs: tracked in bug 721008
  • Fix the p1/p2 font inflation bugs — we want this to be as right as possible for beta; bug 706193, bug 706198
  • Get frecency / top sites as right as we can: bug 704977
  • Get the in-browser Sync UI pieces in, so people can find and set up sync
    • bug 708414, bug 716906 – looks like they’re in!
  • Get the tab menu not covering the whole screen — may seem minor, but I want people to get the right idea of how it works as of beta – bug 712526
  • Some thumbnail tweaks around differences in tab menu / start page, scaling where we shouldn’t be (bug #)
  • UI responsiveness (opening a tab; aweseomescreen top sites list coming in; settings screen entries becoming enabled)

Ian Barlow

Last Week

  • Kicked off designs for tablet UI refresh

This Week

  • Startup UX

  • Visual consistency throughout the app
    • Thumbnail size / style: Bug 721032
  • Continuing tablet visual design exploration, with a focus on
    • Start Page

    • Awesomebar interaction
    • Sign in to browser

Patryk Adamczyk

Last Week
+ Working on Bug Fixing

This Week
+ Working with Sriram on UI Polish bugs.
+ Compiling Firefox 12 design spec.

Round Table

  • End game! Go review your bugs. If you don’t think you can fix in the next month (don’t under estimate), talk to someone. P1/P2 only. If you aren’t working on one, please talk to someone. We need to load balance.

Android 2.1 crashers

  • bug 705874 – xperia x10 (QA has one in MV)

  • bug 720712 – Samsung SCH-i400 (Continuum) (deviceanywhere)
  • bug 699301 – Huawei Ideos S7 (QA has one in MV) blassy had mentioned filesystem issue?

SUMO

  • Documentation sprint to update all mobile articles for FF11–need to complete article updates in three weeks to support NativeUI release in six weeks, (localizers ideally need three weeks to translate).

  • Firefox mobile meetup in SF next Wednesday evening

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2012-01-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Firefox/Planning/2012-01-25

« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Contents

Actions from Last Week

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 9)

  • 3.6.26 to be released to the beta population tomorrow, subsequently released next Tuesday

Beta (10)

  • Pushing our final beta out tomorrow, and plan to release on Tuesday

  • Add-ons default to compatible is in Firefox 10. Add-ons that are compatible with Firefox 4+ will be compatible in Firefox 10.
  • Add-on hotfix testing is in Firefox 10 and testing is going well with our beta audience – once the metrics team helps verify our understanding of the data we’ve gotten back, we can greenlight the use of a hotfix in the place of some chemspills

Aurora (11)

Nightly (12)

  • bug 566489: inline autocomplete has landed thanks to efforts from David Dahl and Marco Bonardo. Marco has been fixing followups in an attempt to polish the feature for release, but we may end up disabling it on Aurora to get some extra bake time.

  • Snappy (last week’s summary)

Firefox Mobile

  • Working toward Beta

  • Current status blog post
  • Nightly

  • Aurora
    • not to steal sync’s thunder, but we expect sync to be uplifted by the end of the week

    • several non-sync patches are dependent on sync landing, so will get unblocked by that
  • Beta
    • when 11 goes to beta, we’ll be doing a split release

      • incompatibility needs to be built into the manifests

      • manifests patches are based on branding, should land soon
      • RelEng and QA are conducting testing with a dummy market product to validate all these moving pieces
  • Release

Firefox Sync

  • Native Sync has been enabled in Nightly

    • Data may be lost, reordered, or corrupted. Please do not use your good profiles

    • Migration from XUL to Native will likely cause your sync account to disappear
      • mobile is investigating a fix
    • Please remember behavior is undefined if multiple instance of Native Fennec (nightly, aurora, etc) are on a single device
  • The sync team is planning to migrate our code base to MPL v2.0
    • Please holler if there is any reason we should not.
  • old news that bears repeating

Add-on Builder

  • Release today

  • Next week we begin intensive QA rounds in preparation for release
  • Marketing/PR is assigning someone to handle our 1.0 launch
  • 1st Web Builder code check-in happened this week, hoping to have a working prototype in ~5 weeks

Add-on SDK

Release (1.4 -> Firefox 9, 10)

  • 1.4 Released two weeks ago – no issues

Stabilization (1.5 -> Firefox 10, 11)

  • 1.5b2 Released yesterday

  • On track to release on Feb. 21st, 2012

Development (1.6 -> Firefox 11, 12)

  • Have made good progress on Talos testing – jhammel blogged about it

  • Still having discussion of localizing html elements in SDK-based addons – please join in
  • On track to merge to Stabilization on Feb. 21st, 2012

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • Follow up from last week:

    • [1] Slowness in 10 peaked (although not much of one) around the 8th and has been falling (a little) since.

Firefox 9.0.1

  • Nothing major new.

  • Some complaints around 3.6 > 9 major update (where is reload button, confusion around session restore, extensions)

Mobile

UX & User Research

Research: The Mobile Diary Project is progressing nicely. We are in the process of recruiting participants to tell us how they use apps and how they use the browser. There will be opportunities for you to meet with these mobile users coming up in mid-February. Email Mary Trombley if you have questions.

Design

  • New ux-review@mozilla.com UI review queue is being beat into submission on a daily basis

    • We reduced the number of uiwanted’s from 420 to 316 (104 bugs processed) last week, racing towards zero!
  • Metro UI design work is starting, and we know what we can (and can’t) do wrt. WinRT and Win32 APIs
  • Trond & Josh hard at work for Gaia (B2G) UI for Mobile World Congress
  • Sync “papercut” fixes are in progress (Yuan and Jinghua)
  • Designs on BrowserID, log in to the browser + next-generation sync approach is starting this week (Zhenshuo)
  • zpao landed Lion fullscreen mode on the UX branch, is epic
  • New tab page has visual improvements (Boriss & ttaubert)
  • Design work on translation of content in-browser is starting this week too (Yuan)

Market Insights

Desktop / Platform

Microsoft

  • There continue to be persistent rumours that Microsoft is planning to have a unified platform from the OS kernel up for Windows 8, “not just in terms of a common design language and interface (Metro), the same HTML5 Internet Explorer browser and integration with Windows Live and Azure — but also in terms of a common core.”
  • Other rumours indicate that the next release of Windows 8 will be called a consumer preview, not “beta”. Interviews with developers who have recently built apps on the current Developer Preview said, overall, that it is still rough, with plenty of missing functionality, but that they found it possible to build the apps they wanted.
  • Microsoft also released an updated version of Compat Inspector that works with the IE10 Preview. This tool allows webmasters to identify changes that are required to better serve IE9 and IE10.

Google

  • An interesting blog post details a claim that the primary reason Google decided to create the Chrome browser was to perfect technologies required to better crawl the web, all in an effort to improve search rankings. By citing patent applications, the author makes the claim that “GoogleBot is a browser”.
  • Google released some advertising videos promoting the automatic translation capabilities of Chrome.
  • Recent WebKit / Chrome developments include a screen-size emulation back-end in the Web Inspector tool, which will soon allow for easy emulation of mobile device screens, and the first commits to support the Shadow DOM in Javascript.
  • Google also awarded $6133.70 in rewards to teams reporting four security bugs in Chrome; all four are fixed in the latest stable version of the browser.

Opera

Other

  • At an upcoming security conference in Vancouver, separate teams of hackers will be competing to win $60,000 to take advantage of recently-patched vulnerabilities in Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Internet Explorer.
  • An interesting interview on the W3C blog with the head of the Financial Times’ web team on why they decided to abandon their iOS native client application and develop an HTML5 version instead. They describe some of the functionality they miss (notifications) and the workarounds they had to develop to handle additional caching and swiping functionality.

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • Dolphin HD will come preloaded with add-ons, reveals new beta release
  • Sony Ericsson joins HTC and Motorola with low Q4 2011 results, but will revamp strategy as it becomes Sony
  • HTC to integrate IBM business solutions on devices in effort to consolidate on the enterprise market
  • Apple on path to 20% smartphone sales marketshare for 2011 after record Q4 2011 results
  • Quad-core 1.5 GHz devices on their way, by Samsung
  • Mobile payments rushing towards mainstream availability in the US and Europe
  • RIM has a new CEO, no strategic changes are planned

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Desktop

  • 3.6 Upgrade Display Ads in progress, working on updating copy on Major Update billboard to improve CTRs.

  • Readying materials for the releases next week (Aurora, Beta, GA).
  • Working on a devices landing page experiment for Mozilla.org/Firefox
  • Marketing plan for next release.

Mobile

  • Tablet media buy campaign ends this week (SEM efforts still live)

  • Facebook ads for tablets ended yesterday
  • MWC content and messaging
  • Marketing plan for FF11
  • Blog post for FF11 Beta
  • Optimizing acquisition funnel for Aurora and Beta

Questions, Comments, FYI

Actions this week

25-January-2012

SeaMonkey Meeting Minutes: 2012-01-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2012-01-24

« last meeting | index | next meeting »

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Contents

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> IanN/Callek dynamic duo

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • InvisibleSmiley nominates Jake Maul for fixing MXR bug 653424

    • IanN nominates jtek for his work on the new online shop.
    • IanN nominates InvisibleSmiley for his sync restartless add-on work.
    • Please note A person or entity can’t be nominated twice in a row.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • IanN to write the “Friends of the Fish Tank” F.A.Q.

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • Current Issues with existing machines

    • one linux VM — Hosted on parallels, kernel panicking, No bug yet, but will get it done ASAP

    • problems with creating a second linux VM — will either fix or reclone this week.
    • one win VM, switched from FAT32 to NTFS for one of its drives, need to recreate folders appropriately.
  • “Where do we stand with the machine(s) right now?”
    • bug 702490 (Rack 2 – 1U mac mini chassis(4 Mini’s) in SCL2 for SeaMonkey).

      • (2011-12-01) Servers are now at SCL2 and waiting on emux to provide power/network for them.

Release Train

  • 2.7b4 shipped on January 20.

    • This included the fix for news bug 695309 so 2.7 will have this SM 2.5/2.6 issue fixed, too.
  • Linux64 has live updates all the way to 2.6.1 for release, and on 2.7b4 for beta.
  • 2.7b5 is awaiting 1 (possibly 2) mailnews patches [Callek to supply bug numbers], hopefully be spun late this evening as final beta before 2.7 final.
  • The next six-weekly merge will be on January 31.
  • Get comm-aurora and comm-beta on MXR (bug 653424).
    • Jake Maul [:jakem] fixed it! comm-aurora, comm-beta, comm-release and comm-2.0 available now on MXR. :-)

    • comm-2.0 will not have any scheduled updates, the others will have scheduled daily updates.
  • en-GB patches are now getting reviewed so no need for a Coup d’état!
  • “Hotfix add-on” will not be shipped for 2.7, due to need to sort out certs and signing the add-on. Solution will be patches provided by Firefox/MoCo to land on a relbranch which we will have to test.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

We need some help with the add-ons listed under the “2.0x” heading. Anything above it will work out of the box with SM 2.7 and later (yay to compatible-by-default!). Perhaps Ratty can go through his xSidebar site and check which add-ons are not compatible with at least SM 2.1 – that would help, too.

  • Addon Compatibility Listings, mostly maintained by InvisibleSmiley

    • Recent changes can be found here.

    • Identified Quote Colors add-on as responsible for breaking the status bar of the Mailnews stand-alone message window. InvisibleSmiley sent a patch to both the add-on’s author and Ratty (who hosts a modified version on his website).
    • ACR 1.0.2 breaks AOM search when used with trunk, Aurora or Beta (bug 715493). Fix checked in upstream, pending new release version.
  • Enigmail provides versions for release (AMO) and all branches (Enigmail nightly page). The current release is compatible with both 2.5 and 2.6.
  • Lightning provides versions for the current stable and beta releases (AMO) and nightlies for trunk and Aurora (Calendar Versions page). Lightning 1.2b2 is available from AMO now (Development Channel) and should be available in time for future betas.
  • The latest Firebug is now fully compatible but still not flagged as such on AMO. This depends on automatic tests being set up and run on the Firebug side (bug 680837, needs a Python coder). Stable Firebug version 1.9.x works with any recent SM version.
  • Besides the above, we should also take a look at other add-ons that are important for our users when they switch to 2.x.
  • The SeaMonkey Features page links to sub-pages for all recent SM versions, including those in development. Please help InvisibleSmiley add major features to the respective pages, ideally as they land. These pages are used when creating release notes, so the more up-to-date the better.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • As stated above, news bug 695309 landed on Beta and will be in SM 2.7 proper.

  • 2.6 had ~79,000 ADU by last Thursday and 2.6.1 has had ~82,000 downloads so far.
    • Of the released versions, as of last Thursday, we have 18.9% on 2.0, 6.7% on 2.1-2.3, 6.3% on 2.4, 8.5% on 2.5 and 59.5% on 2.6. So, in the last two weeks, ~2k (an additional 1.6% of ADU) have migrated to 2.5 or above.
  • Figure out what is preventing people from moving from 2.0.x to the latest versions.
    • Perhaps putting resources into getting certain extensions working with SM 2.4 and above (those that won’t work with SM 2.7 automatically due to compatible-by-default extensions).

    • Still need volunteers to look at what is keeping people at below 2.4. IanN could try knocking something up and send it round members lists for polishing but he’s not on all the channels (mozillazine, etc) to post it to when finished.

Usual reminders:

  • Please make sure that anything that landed on comm-beta (for TB) or mozilla-beta (for FF) which affected non-shared code and which fixed regressions will be fixed on our side, too. Please mark bugs we feel *need* to land on a particular train tracking+ or tracking? so that when we to do a release we can be sure that we don’t miss anything.

    • Priority should be given to fixing regressions ASAP. Also keep an eye on and prioritize bugs to be ported from FF/TB that land on branches (Aurora, Beta). We need to keep an eye especially on Session Restore, Sync, Tabbrowser and Address Book.

    • Be careful not to break code shared with Thunderbird, otherwise patches might have to be backed out of string frozen repositories.

2.6

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (40)

  • One tracked 2.5 issue still open.

    • 2.1 through 2.6.1 have NOT included the ka locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14 and the ka l10n maintainers have not yet updated for changes in later SeaMonkey versions.

    • Callek now needs to morph bug 667147 into removing |ka| from our [current] automation entirely (all-locales). Callek will look at best locale to transition any ka users to.
  • The New 2.6 Features page has a comprehensive list of features.

2.Next

  • InvisibleSmiley created a restartless add-on for SM 2.8 (available on AMO, pending review) which adds an “Add-ons” options to the list of engines on the Sync pref panel. See bug 713087 for details.

  • Remember to help update the New Features pages as we go along.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for last two (full) weeks: 40 new, 35 fixed, 21 triaged.

  • Good triaging effort.

  • Good further triage targets could come out of looking at the component bug counts, pick yours!

Open reviews/flags:
30 review
16 super-review
0 ui-review
7 feedback

Major wanted/needed features:

Active

  • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition [IanN].

    • Progressing slowly, still waiting on reviews from TB side. Full customization has to go to 2.next (currently 2.6 but could be pushed back further) as it needs work on TB too which is taking a while to get reviews on, plus feedback from kaze.

    • IanN is still wading through the unpicking of Composer/Mail Compose code in the dependent bugs. After that he will be reworking his customising patches.
  • bug 477845 Build a standalone (Comm-central) Composer. [kaze]
    • kaze has done a bit of work in this bug recently. Building on Windows works. Now supports debug builds on Linux if tests are disabled (–disable-tests). Still a lot to do.

    • IanN was supposed to help get builds working with --enable-tests.
      • Will look into this once he gets his customization patches reworked.
  • Real full-screen (bug 610509) and DOM full-screen (bug 701714)
    • patches provided by Mnyromyr and InvisibleSmiley.

Needing help, Unowned, Stalled

  • Kill-RDF:

    • bug 657607 Port jminta’s kill-rdf to SeaMonkey where applicable Part 2 [meta].

    • bug 657604 Remove the RDF global object. [serge]
  • bug 436794 Enable Mac OS X system address book per default and add UI.
    • SM UI needed, unowned, helpwanted.
  • bug 449728 Drag tabs between windows.
  • bug 477840 Backport KompoZer to Composer (Depends on bug 477845).
    • kaze has done a ton of work there. We still need to work out some organizational issues. At the moment there is no active interest from MoMo for bringing standalone composer into comm-central. That’s something we (KaiRo and kaze) will have to negotiate with the Thunderbird team (Standard8).
  • bug 507841 Port Bug 422814 – Make account configuration quick, easy, and more secure (autoconfig, Quick Account Setup).
  • bug 533908 SeaMonkey Mail: tabs not restored [misak].
  • bug 523274 Complete new default theme icon set.
  • bug 526210 Update the icon set for the SeaMonkey Modern Theme.
    • bug 548778 New communicator icons (based on Strata theme) for SeaMonkey. Some proposed icons got posted, we should take a look how to get that contribution into the product.

    • The rest is unowned so far.
  • bug 87098 [SeaMonkey] Delete key should delete location bar history list entry.
    • Note: Our location bar history doesn’t and can’t use autocomplete at all.
  • bug 677484 Individual SeaMonkey components are not properly handled by the Windows 7 taskbar.
  • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address
    • Note: The actual task here is to port bug 45715 “Reply to List” [button/(context) menu item]
  • bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey (now helpwanted)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

aceman has been doing some work that touches SM as well as TB especially around feeds, which is good stuff.

Aqualon

asrail

Callek

Completed Release Engineering tasks:

  • bug 715754 (SM2.7b3) Tracking bug for build and release of SeaMonkey 2.7 Beta 3.

  • bug 718676 /home/cltbld/.ssh should be mode 0700.
  • bug 719529 Put up snippets for linux64 minor and major updates to SeaMonkey 2.6.1 and Beta to SeaMonkey 2.7b4.

Build Config fixes:

  • bug 714495 Port bug 713167 |Microsoft.VC80.CRT SideBySide errors, browsercomps.dll| to comm.

  • bug 714574 Unable to upload trunk zh-TW on mac, due to SEARCH_PLUGINS failure.

Other fixes:

  • bug 714967 Export mozilla::services::Get* to external consumers as well.

  • bug 715802 Move quirks triggering into nsSuiteApp.cpp because bug 696376 caused our quirks to be triggered too late.

Working on:

  • bug 292569 Add support for #pragma once to headers.

  • bug 560772 Make use of mozilla::services for comm-central.
  • bug 591848 SeaMonkey linux and Windows machines need device support for sound enabled.
  • bug 714967 Export mozilla::services::Get* to external consumers as well.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 527173 – Spellchecker settings are in the Mail section but the SP is used by all components

    • bug 620776 – Add UI for new plugins.disabled preference
    • bug 688745 – Opening website from RSS: “Open in new tab” not available in context menu
    • bug 716186 – Simplify @media queries like like bug 713822.
    • bug 718356 – remove Debug > XUL Test Suite menu of failing tests
  • Needs Review:

    • bug 707786 – Use Services.prefs instead of preferences-service / gPrefService, in SeaMonkey

    • bug 717493 – Port |Bug 717491 – “Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file: bin/components/proxyObject.xpt (package-manifest, 151).”| to SeaMonkey
  • Working On:

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 718515 Update messenger compose window’s mail toolbar to use removable attribute

    • bug 718517 Add print button as an option to messenger compose mail toolbar
    • bug 702098 Update en-GB for Firefox 10.0/Thunderbird 10.0/SeaMonkey 2.7 (2 patches)
    • bug 713355 Update en-GB for Gecko 11.0 (mozilla-aurora)
    • bug 713356 Update en-GB for Firefox 11.0 (mozilla-aurora)
    • bug 713358 Update en-GB for Editor 11 (comm-aurora)
    • bug 713371 Update en-GB for Thundebird 11 (comm-aurora)
    • bug 713374 Update en-GB for SeaMonkey 2.8
    • bug 713375 Update en-GB for Calendar/Lightning 1.3
    • bug 719130 Open in new tab context menu option does not work if no SeaMonkey browser window already open [Chatzilla]
  • Waiting for review on:
    • bug 638643 Remove obsolete EditorToggleParagraphMarks from editor.js

    • bug 719080 [en-GB] Search Engine modification for SeaMonkey
    • bug 705458 [en-GB] add Twitter Search Engine for Fx (en-GB)
    • bug 720661 Display account central when no default account / no accounts setup
  • Waiting for additional review on:
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Update en-GB for Mobile 10.0 (comm-aurora)
  • Working on:
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition

    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Contact people affected by proposed changes to Project Areas.
    • Knock something up finding out why users are not upgrading to 2.4+ and send it around members lists for polishing.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

InvisibleSmiley

  • ToDo:

    • bug 701714 Add support for DOM full-screen

    • bug 640420 Add draggable splitter between urlbar and searchbar
    • bug 711334 Be explicit that TLS version is 1.0
    • look into
      • bug 698038 Update Preferences help for the new section to control crash report

      • bug 696757 Port “Time range to clear” from Firefox to SeaMonkey’s “Clear private data” dialog
    • track
      • bug 687316 (Remaining) Sync changes to port to Suite

KaiRo

mcsmurf

Misak

Mnyromyr

MReimer

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 713405 Can’t drag-n-drop from the address book sidebar.

  • bug 713565 Recipient type reverts to “To:” when adding contacts from sidebar or drag-n-drop.
  • bug 717111 Plain text editor context menu broken since landing of fix to bug 702019.
  • bug 717587 Need to support new MathML3 href attribute.
  • bug 720225 click in empty messagepane reopens MailNews in Browser.

Working on:

  • bug 707305 Re-enable building with --enable-incomplete-external-linkage (MailNews Core).

Ratty

Fixed:

  • bug 714452 Auto-save happens even if message is currently being sent (Port Thunderbird bug 307028).

  • bug 714595 Simplify FillIdentityList() and getCurrentIdentity().
  • bug 719034 Support CTRL-SHIFT-K as the Lighting Task Quick Filter hotkey.
  • bug 719050 Lightning aero #button-delete style makes the SeaMonkey Mail delete button image disappear [Lightning].

Waiting for feedback:

  • bug 701432 Add support for fave icons on jump list uri entries.

ToDo:

  • Fix Customize code in the new Lightning toolbars.

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Ricardo

sgautherie

  • Fixed SeaMonkey (related) bugs:

    • bug 628589 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-plain-3: permanent “TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | /tests/gfx/test_acceleration.html | Acceleration enabled on x86-64 OS X”. (Windows 2003 too)

    • bug 711937 [SeaMonkey] xpcshell: “TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | [...]/test_clearHistory_shutdown.js | places-expiration-finished == places-connection-closed”
    • bug 714630 Port |Bug 713747 – Rip out non-UniversalXPConnect privilege manager functionality| to SeaMonkey
  • Fixed (or in-progress) MailNews Core bugs:
    • bug 714536 Port |Bug 698630 – Remove –disable-smil build option and “#ifdef MOZ_SMIL” wrappers| to comm-central

    • bug 714556 Port |Bug 644801 – Remove Native uconv from the tree| to comm-central
    • bug 716378 Port |Bug 655439 – Use $(LIBXUL_DIST)/bin/xpcshell instead of $(DIST)/bin/xpcshell| to comm-central
    • bug 716381 Port |Bug 673461 – ANGLE needs to stop automagically turning itself off in configure if the DirectX SDK is not found| to comm-central
    • bug 717376 Port |Bug 715576 – libalerts_s.dylib incorrectly links the static version of spidermonkey (in static-js configuration)| to comm-central
    • bug 611233 Improve (null) checks in nsImapService.cpp
  • Fixed (or in-progress) Core bugs:
    • bug 490384 mochitest-plain: random “test_bug466586.html | undefined”

    • bug 694353 “Warning: package error or possible missing or unnecessary file:” : freebl3.chk + nssdbm3.chk + softokn3.chk
    • bug 717753 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-a11y: test_focus_browserui.xul needs to support non-Firefox applications too
    • bug 718545 browser_keyevents_during_autoscrolling.js: Use EventUtils sendChar() and sendKey(), instead of synthesizeKey()
    • bug 719389 Fix “#ifdef MOZ_WINSDK_TARGETVER >= MOZ_NTDDI_LONGHORN” from bug 441197
    • bug 720071 “nsFilePicker.cpp(992) : error C2027: use of undefined type ‘IFileDialog'” when using”–with-windows-version=502″
    • bug 717868 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-plain-4: “test_reftests_with_caret.html | finished in a non-clean fashion” (in /tests/layout/base/tests/test_preserve3d_sorting_hit_testing.html)
    • bug 718237 [SeaMonkey] “accessible/events/test_focus_autocomplete.xul | Test timed out.” (which also causes lots of “gA11yEventListeners is undefined” on following tests)
    • bug 718239 mochitest-a11y failed, summary reports unexpected huge numbers for pass/fail. (“gA11yEventListeners is undefined”)

Stanimir

stefanh

Fixed:

  • bug 718392 [Mac] Restore non-highlight when hovering menus in content menubars.

Working on:

  • bug 425916 Improve look of mac treerows when in editing mode.

  • bug 713445 [Mac Default] tabbrowser tab title text styling is wrong in Lion.
  • bug 713446 White text with text-shadow in selected bottom tabs.

tonymec

  • Done:

    • Not much.
  • Ongoing: No change
    • Sm-Trunk live-testing

    • Some QA
    • Nigtly Tester Tools (as needed)
  • Problems:
    • bug 716232 SEGV crash in JS garbage collect at every startup of ChatZilla (with my settings)

      • I believe this regression might be due to the fix for bug 715883 Remove JSRuntime::gcEmptyArenaPoolLifespan (most likely-looking changeset in the regression window)

      • Don’t know whom to nag
      • In the meantime, I’m chatting with Konversation and/or cZ-in-Fx3.6
  • TODO:
    • TBD.

Any other business?

  • Need to review project areas

    • IanN has put out a final draft of the project areas list, and will then confirm that anyone who is not in the loop already has been consulted.

    • We will also need to update the Mozilla-wide list of official reviewers
  • Extended Support Releases (ESR)
    • At the moment looks like that will be based off Gecko 10 so that will be 2.7 for us. Assuming we have the machines, we will also have an ESR which might help move some of those still on 2.0 up to 2.7. We’re not likely to move to ESR until Gecko 10.0.1 or 10.0.2.

    • Our ESR should use the same branch as Firefox ESR so any Security and Stability “extended” fixes for Gecko will be picked up by the SeaMonkey ESR.
    • An ESR (Extended Security Release) may not be a given for us out of the gate. Callek thinks we should revisit that, separately, once it is clearer what MoCo’s general plans for their marketing/target/support levels etc. are.
    • mcsmurf is on the ESR mailing list and has volunteered to be our ESR goto guy.
  • Geolocation
    • Geolocation now works out of the box. MoCo turned it on by default for all applications that build off mozilla-central.

    • For comm-beta all we need to do is (bug 494421) to add pref("geo.wifi.uri", "https://www.google.com/loc/json"); to browser-prefs.js. However we’re not even sure we are legally allowed to ship with the URL in, we might need to actually put in a pref to disable that in newer builds.

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2012-01-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2012-01-24

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> sancus

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

Test Pilot
Tabs on Top
  • Fixed a bug that made buttons dragged beside the menubar have icons below text

  • Andreas will soon be landing a patch that will make the transition between the tab selector and message tabs easier on the eyes.
Big Files
Account Provisioner

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 10
  • Releases on Tuesday, Jan 31
Thunderbird 11
  • Going to beta next week

  • Has Tabs on Top
Thunderbird 12
Thunderbird 3.1.x

Extension of the week

Google-contacts will let you share and sync your address book with your gmail account.

QA Updates

Marketing Updates

  • Recent articles 1, 2

  • Thunderbird ADUs around 7.8MM w/ Germany, US, France, Japan, and Italy leading the way.
  • Release work, Tb 10 and ESR announcements.

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • On-deck this week: Thunderbird 10.0b5, 10.0 final, 3.1.18, 3.1.17->10.0b4 major updates

Web Update

  • working on TB10 content updates

  • This week
    • Thunderbird ESR pages & website support for ESR builds

    • Getting ready for TB10 release
    • TB11 compatibility bump

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list

  1. Thunderbird 3.1 -> Thunderbird 10 upgrade test day is Thursday January 26 2012, this Thursday! If you want to help, create a new TB profile, revert to TB 3.1 and test upgrading with us on Thursday. Love to see you there! The more testing we do on Thursday, the less Support issues we’ll have when TB3.1 is EOL’ed.

  2. 1615 new support topics (542 one week ago) – Media:ThunderbirdGetSatisfactionMetrics16-22January2012-2012-01-23_1056.pngNOTE: last week’s numbers are low because GS’s stats failed to work for Monday-Wednesday of last week
  3. Thunderbird 9 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues or bugs found in TB9 and tag them tb9
  4. Thunderbird 10 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues or bugs found in TB10 and tag them tb10 – TB10 Release is next week, so backup up your Thunderbird profile, and try the TB 10 beta today if you have some time!
  5. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Mozilla Platform Meeting Minutes: 2012-01-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Platform/2012-01-24

« previous week | index | next week »

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays – 11:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Contents

Notices / Schedule

  • Go to build for our final betas of FF3.6.26/10 was 2012-01-23

    • A decision about whether or not to ship add-ons compatible by default in FF10 (and with what prefs set) will be made during today’s channel meeting 2012-01-24
  • Final sign-off for FF10 will be 2012-01-25
  • Next source migration is 2012-01-31

Firefox Development

- bug 566489: inline autocomplete has landed thanks to efforts from David Dahl and Marco Bonardo. Marco has been fixing followups in an attempt to polish the feature for release, but we may end up disabling it on Aurora to get some extra bake time.

Firefox Developer Tools

Performance

  • Snappy (last week’s summary)

    • Smooth scrolling has landed on M-C (bug 198964)

    • Early preview of about:jank add-on
      • still buggy and requires recent Nightly
    • Networking team investigating slowdowns caused by cache. Also investigating locks being held on main thread by cache

GFX

JS

  • Landed bug 675078 – removing JSThread and JSThreadData. This removes multithreading support from SpiderMonkey (except for web workers, of course).

Layout

  • Notable Patches:

    • bug 698335 – Security Issue with bidi text

    • bug 536557 – Implement CSS3 text-align-last
    • bug 718513 – Synthetic bold does not work with src:local(…) @font-face declarations under DirectWrite
    • bug 716229 – Plain text in WWW pages now appears to be double-spaced
    • bug 708075 – the shaped-word caches should be flushed on memory-pressure notification
    • bug 675015 – Suppress synthetic mouse events due to scrolling until the scroll is complete
    • bug 524925 – Avoid reflows for transform changes
    • bug 665597 – Include margin calculations in FinishAndStoreOverflow
    • bug 627628 – be smarter about dispatching starved paints
    • bug 675015 – Suppress synthetic mouse events due to scrolling until the scroll is complete
  • Priorities:
    • Mobile Text

    • CSS flexbox
    • bug 689623 API for visible images
    • CSS Quarterly Meeting

Video

(someone please read)

  • Published demo build and demos of MediaStreams Processing API. Working to get this landed on trunk in pieces, starting with base MediaStreams infrastructure.

  • requestFullScreenWithKeys API under construction. See bug for proposed behavior. Need security feedback/review.(bug 716107)
  • Just need build system review to land new libcubeb audio backend for Windows. (bug 623444)

DOM

(no verbal update)

  • DOM bindings work week is this week.

WebAPI

  • Mozilla has joined the W3C DAP working group. (Jonas and Mounir has joined. Anyone else that’s interested should contact David Baron).

  • Network API landed for android! (Provides information about connectivity speed)
  • Experimental WebSMS landed for android.

Identity

Network

  • An IETF HTTP working group member posted a proposal to change their charter to take on HTTP/2.0 (and, likely, SPDY).

  • We’re on track to enable SPDY by default, at least for a week, when Firefox 13 development starts.

Plugins

  • Bug 90268, content ownership of plugins, is on track to land as soon as Firefox 13 development opens. Last known problem (“the Pandora problem”) was fixed yesterday.

Mobile

Accessibility

Tree Management

  • Hitting record high levels of test load!

    • 27,189 test jobs yesterday

    • 31,705 test jobs on jan 11
    • Doing ~110 hours of compute time per push [1]

Security

Security Review Needed but Unscheduled

Schedule with Curtis

If you believe your feature is on this list incorrectly or information has changed since the item was marked for review; please contact Curtis

Security Reviews Scheduled for this week

Date / Time Item
Wed Jan 25 / 13:00 PST Scheduling: more info soon
THU Jan 26 / 10:00 PST AVAILABLE
Fri Jan 27 / 10:00 AM PST AVAILABLE

Calendar and Meeting details

General Meeting Details 
* IRC Channel: #security 
* Etherpad: http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/secreview 
* Vidyo: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=5XEMsG1ApA4b (Room 9058)
* Dial-in Info (phone): 
** In office or soft phone: extension 92 
** US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 
** Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 
** Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 
** Conference num 99058

Stability Report

Socorro

Desktop

Trunk

Aurora

Beta

  • bug 720410 Low volume Mac crash but new to Beta.

  • bug 718724 Firefox Crash [@ nsHTMLReflowState::Init(nsPresContext*, int, int, nsMargin const*, nsMargin const*) ]
  • bug 718389 – startup crash that spiked in b5.

9.0.1

Mobile

  • Top crashes

    • http://bit.ly/tr4pBc – quite a few with fixes in progress

    • Working to make these actionable. Many issues are due to issue getting proper Java signatures.
  • Java signature fixes
    • bug 719373 is the meta bug that covers java crashes.

    • The Java in a different field is being handled by lars and cpeterson bug 701002 and bug 701390
    • Socorro work is targeted for Monday release.
  • Logged Java signature bugs
    • In the interim – Naoki sifted through the crash reports from the data gathered from bug 718907 and figured out the Java crash list.

    • The Java crash list covers more than just TouchBadMemory (12.43% ) of the crashes, It covers : mozalloc_abort | __swrite | dexDataMapAlloc, EMPTY: no crashing thread identified; corrupt dump, mozalloc_abort | dexDataMapAlloc, and a few others
    • bug 707683
    • bug 720515
    • bug 720613
    • bug 711988
  • Other
    • There are a number of arm_neon_fills bug 711852. We thought it would be fixed with the rotation fix, but it appears that it is a bit more than that.

Roundtable

24-January-2012

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2012-01-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

WeeklyUpdates/2012-01-23

« previous week | index | next week »

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600

Contents

Friends of the Tree

  • Mohamed Dabbagh for helping out with Apps QA test day and automation

Upcoming Events

This Week

Monday, 23 January

Tuesday, 24 January

Wednesday, 25 January

Thursday, 26 January

Thunderbird ESR testing at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:QA_TestDay:2012-01-26

Friday, 27 January

Next Week

Product Status Updates

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: Toronto (johnath)

Firefox Android

Speaker Location: Toronto (johnath)

  • Native UI is closing in on beta quality, might ride the next train, might not

    • Don’t panic. That’s normal for a big rewrite like this.

    • Finkle blogged about the current state of things
  • Sync has landed on nightly for early testing, but expect bugs

Thunderbird

Speaker Location:
Testday This Thursday https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:QA_TestDay:2012-01-26

Older Branch Work

Speaker Location:

Drumbeat

Speaker Location: Matt in Toronto

Identity

Speaker Location:

Speakers

The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It’s like a lightning talk, but don’t feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.

</tr>

Title Presenter Topic Media More Details
Your Title Here Your Name Here What are you going to talk about? Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Director Open Innovation Group Pascal Finette WebFWD Mailing List & Sticker Galore (!) <a href=”https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/webfwd-all“>Mailing List</a> & <a href=”http://webfwd.openphoto.me/photos/tags-stickers/list“>Sticker Galore</a> <a href=”https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/webfwd-all“>Mailing List</a> & <a href=”http://webfwd.openphoto.me/photos/tags-stickers/list“>Sticker Galore</a>
Intern Santiago Hollmann Postcard for Manuel Camacho

Status Updates By Team

Firefox

Platform

Messaging

Mobile

IT

Release Engineering

QA

Test Execution

WebQA

  • Affiliates

    • released on 1.18.12

    • Blayne, new contributor will be working on automation
    • rshetty continues to verify releases
    • staging test user account repaired, suite passing again (ZC)
  • AMO
    • AMO 6.3.8 is going live today.

    • paypal test is unblocked (Thx Zac)
    • finishing up with focusmanager patch
    • finishing up with tests for apps-preview
  • Mozilla.com
    • waiting for 1.2 to ship
  • Mozillians
    • 1.3 milestone 1 – 2 weeks out

    • dual authentication is being removed in the backend – MySQL will be the primary, LDAP is going away
  • MDN
    • working on 2.1 milestone

    • 2.0 milestone shipped
  • Socorro
  • SUMO
    • 1/17 release went out

    • 1/24 release in process

QA Community

Automation Services

Automation & Tools

Security

Engagement

PR

Events

Creative Team

Community Marketing

Support

Metrics

Evangelism

Labs

Apps

Developer Tools

Add-ons

Webdev

L10n

People Team

WebFWD

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Who is the new hire? Who will be introducing that person? From which office will that introduction be transmitted? What will the new person be working on?
Maire Reavy Jay Sullivan (MV) Mountain View Product Management for Media – WebRTC, Video and other media-related things
Mark LaVine Erica Jostedt (SF) San Francisco Product PR
Camilo Viecco Sid Stamm (MV) Mountain View Privacy Engineering!

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Who is the new intern? Who will be introducing that person? From which office will that introduction be transmitted? What will the new person be working on?

Foundation Updates

Roundtable

19-January-2012

Mobile Meeting Minutes: 2012-01-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Mobile/Notes/18-Jan-2012

Contents

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room

Schedule

  • String freeze: 2012-01-17 (Aurora)

    • Missed! We still have several patches that need to land on m-c and/or m-a
  • Next merge: 2012-01-31
    • This will put Native on Beta

    • We will be discussing whether Native is ready for Beta over the next week

Major Topics for This Week

  • Sync landed is working (History and Bookmarks)

    • Top Sites is flooded with desktop sites. Might need a top sites algorithm change (bug 704977)

    • Awesomebar loads much slower with all that data. Reports of taking 2.5 to 4.6 seconds.
  • Uplifting panning/zooming improvements to Aurora
    • gralloc

      • blacklist/whitelist devices/vendor/version

      • make sure the dependent bug fixes are moved too
    • tiling
    • paint suppression
    • others?
  • Crashes
    • Triaged this list last week

    • One bug (bug 718765) accounted for >50% of yesterday’s crashes. It’s backed out now and we are watching crash-stats.
    • A few groups of crashes: Flash, gralloc/tegra, Java Cursor, Java misc, Other

Application

Native Front-end

Android Platform

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

Kats

GBrown

  • Last week:

    • Bug 716937 Robotium testBookmark is failing

    • Bug 717023 convert robotium Log.* calls to dumpMessage calls
    • Bug 717018 merge robotium logs into a single logfile
    • Bug 715198 browser is loading compressed data directly to the page
    • Bug 712277 Crash in nsCacheEntryDescriptor::nsCompressOutputStreamWrapper::Close @ MOZ_Z_adler32
  • Next week:
    • Bug 718829 Robocop: testNewtab is unreliable

    • Bug 717684 Robocop: UnboundLocalError if TEST_PATH set incorrectly
    • Bug 718827 Robocop: testBookmark uses key events
    • Bug 718528 Robocop: upgrade to robotium-solo-3.1.jar

AlexP

Last week

  • bug 717902 – Form autocomplete pop-up with the available suggestions is not displayed in landscape mode when HKB is used

    • Debugged on a phone with HKB

    • Implemented and pushed the fix
  • bug 711648 – Pre-commit underline is not shown for the composing text
    • Investigated a better way to fire and handle composition events

    • Submitted a WIP patch, which implements composition events properly and handles composing text styles

This week

  • Finish composition events fixes

  • Work on the assigned bugs

Need feedback

  • bug 712972 – Can’t type mzl.la into awesome bar

    • The same issue marked P1: bug 718909 – Awesomebar eats my explicitly-entered URLs

    • The patch disables autocompletion and text prediction in the AwesomeBar, but seems like we have to go with it

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

Chris Peterson

  • Last Week

    • bug 709845 – Fixed copy/paste of redirected URLs. Landed in m-i.

    • bug 717841 – Replace “new Date().getTime()” calls with System.currentTimeMillis(). Fixed boundary checks for midnight bookmarks.
  • This Week

    • Investigating switching between GL and non-GL surface layers at run-time. Non-GL layers may improve rendering performance when page is not moving.

    • Considering workarounds for ProGuard bug 709230.
  • Blockers:

    • bug 715298 blocks bug 709230 – ProGuard Java optimizer stilled blocked by try server errors. Working with joduinn to isolate differences between “try-linux-slave”and “linux-ix-slave” builders.

GCP

  • Last week:

    • bug 713228 SQLiteDatabaseCorruptException: database disk image is malformed: PRAGMA synchronous=1;
  • This week:
    • bug 713283 Profile migration takes forever

    • bug 719125 Profile Migration does not preserve frequency count.
    • bug 673470 Replace the sqlite safeb store with a flat file
    • bug 715550 Migration of Sync settings from XUL Fennec
  • Blockers:
    • None

Brian N

  • Done

    • bug 712970 – Show ‘tabs from last time’ in about:home

    • bug 701824 – “Show character encoding” (Text encoding) preference should be hooked up
  • Next

    • bug 716906 – Add “Firefox Sync” item to settings

    • bug 701092 – need a way to get out of a Gecko start up crash
    • bug 715225 – Clean up menu contents

Sriram

WesJ

  • Last week:

    • Finished up multitouch patch. Tests all pass. Added ifdefs for potentially landing on Aurora (waiting for review)
  • This week:
  • Blockers:
    • None

LucasR

Last week

  • Enabled local DB on Nightly and Aurora (bug 707150)

  • Fixed malformed query on local DB (bug 716089)
  • Fix on awesome screen query that boosts its performance quite a bit (bug 709078)
  • Fixed racy code in bookmark code in Tab (bug 704922)
  • Almost done with Sync invitation in about:home (bug 708414)

Next week

  • Finalize and land pending patches

  • More P1/P2 bug fixing

Blockers

  • None

MBrubeck

Done:

  • bug 712760 – Add some smaller font inflation size options

  • bug 711199 – Update menu icons for Android 2.2 and 2.3
  • bug 575830 – Image zoom is reset when switching tabs
  • bug 714285 – Fix bug in text input context menu matching
  • bug 712307 – Update the urlbar icons for Android fennec
  • bug 715211 – Update tab menu icons for Android fennec
  • bug 714920 – Don’t include Copy All or Select All in context menu for empty fields

Next:

  • bug 715179 – Custom dialog for setting the text inflation font size

  • Other theme and polish bugs

Margaret

Done:

Next:

  • More bug/polish fixes

Scott (jwir3)

Last Week:

  • Finished bug 706198, waiting for review from dbaron.

This week:

  • Bug 707195: news.ycombinator.com comments are varied sizes

  • Bug 713241: nightly.mozilla.org footer text inflated too much

BLassey

Last week

  • Thumbnails

    • black thumbnails

    • better quality thumbnails
    • background tabs
  • prefetch redirecting pages (t.co, bit.ly, facebook.com)
    • operates on a whitelist, need to expand that whitelist

DougT

  • Dealt with Interns

  • Fixed crash 704467
    • any java crash looks like the same.
  • Bug 712576 – improved android geolocation fixes.
  • Bug 668194 – geolocation accuracy failures on Windoze and linux.
  • Bug 717133 – disabled the disk cache again due to performance woes.
  • Bug 714668 – investigating an optimization on 24bit displays.

MFinkle

Done:

  • Landed updated Add-ons Manager theme (bug 704415)

  • Made a WIP for Add-ons options (bug 696533)
  • Massive aurora merge. There is still many more patches to do.
  • Started triaging crash list
  • Started a presentation for a Mobile talk at Mozilla Vision 2012 conf in Tokyo
  • Started planning for how to land gralloc on Aurora
  • Reviews

Next:

  • Wrap up presentation / trip to Tokyo (Jan 19-24)

  • Land core add-on options patch

Upcoming:

  • Trip to MV (Feb 13-17)

  • Trip to MWC (Feb 26-Mar 1)

Madhava

  • Repercussions of Sync:

    • now that we can really evaluate our frecency quality, how is it?

      • bug 704977 – Awesomeness calculation should use nicer recency decay
    • synced bookmarks from desktop are flooding our Bookmark list
      • bug 716918 – keep desktop (synced) bookmarks in a folder
  • On the sync side

  • On the Firefox side
    • bug 698594 – Ux Designs for Sync Setup (meta/design bug)

    • bug 708414 – invite users to set up sync on about:home
    • bug 716906 – Add “Firefox Sync” item to settings

Ian Barlow

Last week

This week

  • Provided assets and specs for channel themes bug 710260 and splash screen bug 710331

  • Designs underway for Firefox on Tablets! \o/

Patryk Adamczyk

Last Week
Working hard to keep my bug count at or near 0

This week
Designs underway for Firefox on Tablets

Round Table

  • (johnath) Are we sending good startup stats to telemetry? Once we push to beta, we’ll have sufficient telemetry volume from the real world to be able to calibrate our own testing (“we see 2400ms startup internally, but telemetry reports median startup of 2800ms, neat!”)

  • (pike) owner for bug 713464, English labels displayed initially on multilanguage apk instead of localized strings ? No idea what’s going on on Axel’s side.
  • (cpeterson) Do we have a plan to address bug 701002 and bug 701390 to improve Socorro crash reporting?
  • bug 701002 – Put Java stacks into a separate field (not AppNotes)
  • (elancaster) What is happening with search plug-ins?
  • Showcase: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Fennec/NativeUI/Showcase1-18
  • PR needs some performance data: how much faster are we than XUL? In what ways?

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2012-01-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Firefox/Planning/2012-01-18

« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: Warp Core
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER

These notes are read by people who weren’t able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Contents

Actions from Last Week

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (3.6, 9)

Beta (10)

Aurora (11)

Nightly (12)

Find in Page works a lot better bug 171237
Smooth scrolling is on by default bug 198963
Window frame size on Windows fixed bug 618353

Firefox Mobile

  • Nightly

    • Sync is in!
  • Aurora
    • working on a process to uplift from nightly to aurora

Firefox Sync

Add-on Builder

  • The 1.0 Add-on Builder release date has been finalized, we’ll be launching the site on February 15th.

  • There will be 1-2 more polish/hardening pushes before that date, with the final two weeks dedicated to extensive QA.

Add-on SDK

Release (1.4 -> Firefox 9, 10)

  • Released 1.4 last Tuesday, so far, so good.

Stabilization (1.5 -> Firefox 10, 11)

  • should spin up 1.5b1 today or tomorrow

  • beginnings of mobile work will be in 1.5
    • blog post soon about where we are starting with mobile
  • 1.5 release on track for Feb. 20, 2012

Development (1.6 -> Firefox 11, 12)

  • On track to merge to stabilization Feb 20, 2012

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Firefox 9

  • Top issue: Yahoo messenger from Yahoo mail bug 713014

  • Mac Netflix broken in 9 (fixed in 10) for 64-bit Firefox. bug 715396
  • Possibly an issue with Ask toolbar breaking Flash (a couple people say using malware sweeper is needed to get rid of ask completely)
  • Possibly an issue with plugin container getting stuck with 100% CPU

Firefox 10:

  • A number of comments about speed/performance (a couple comments about shorter battery life)

  • suomi24.fi (finnish email provider) compatibility
  • Youtube problems (some people say crash, some say it hangs/stutters)

Mobile

UX & User Research

  • Starting Metro (Windows 8) UI effort this week.

  • Working with 4 students from MSU to move preferences in-content.
  • Papercuts cleanup for Sync in preparation for MWC still ongoing.
  • Q1 goals have been finalized, and will be posted shortly.

Market Insights

Desktop / Web Platform

Tizen

As the first Tizen SDK is examined more closely, some analysts are noting that it does not use the Wayland display server, as some had expected. There has also been a nine-minute video posted of a Tizen session inside the SDK’s emulator.

Sencha

Sencha announced that the latest version of its Animator tool now supports Firefox versions 7+.

Google

Google unveiled the Chromebox at the CES show in Las Vegas last week, a desktop version of the Chromebook. It is expected to use the new HTML5-based “window manager” called Aura, that provides a closer desktop experience. See the short demo video of Aura here.

Google Gmail released an updated version of their HTML5 web client, only available in the Google Chrome Web Store, that supports offline management of mail up to 31 days old.

Google Chrome

The Google Chrome security team made a formal post describing the core principles with which they approach security, signalling perhaps an increased focus on security in communications from the project.

The Chromium team is making an effort to ensure all tests in the MSIE Testcenter pass, marking their progress in this Google Docs spreadsheet.

W3C

The W3C has issued a call for comments for a Speech API

Gnome Epiphany

The GNOME project released GNOME 3.0, along with Epiphany 3.0, the default browser. It features WebkitGTK+ 1.4.0 and a number of UI refinements, including a completely reworked download UI.

WebKit

A “source” column has been added to the CSS Profiler, allowing web developers to exactly which line of which CSS file is responsible for performance issues. Two new CSS properties, font-kerning and font-variant-ligatures, were enabled. A patch from a web developer working for the Baidu search engine in China was also received.

Mobile

Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.

  • Motorola and Intel entered a multiyear partnership to produce Intel-based Android devices
  • CyanogenMod picking up among early-adopters, with the support of OEMs
  • Samsung announced the intention to merge Bada and Tizen. no decision yet
  • Nokia to reach a 11% smarthphone shipments marketshare in 2012, down to 8% in 2013
  • Web-enabled feature phones picking up interest from phone vendors
  • In 2010 an estimated 28% of all mobile handsets were smartphones in Western Europe, with an expected 37% in 2012 and 49% in 2015, reveals the European Mobile Observatory

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Desktop

  • 3.6 Update Display ad campaign currently live in English, with more locales coming soon.

  • Working on next Firefox update, including Firefox ESR, currently expected on Jan 31st.
  • Firefox Aurora online display ads campaign.
  • Ongoing – Firefox Aurora ads in Facebook
  • Firefox Aurora SEM campaign going live this week.
  • Firefox Aurora available in Affiliates Program
  • Firefox Beta communications and messaging

Mobile

  • Facebook ads for tablets (ja doing the best at 0.09% CTR, de/fr/singapore/us)

  • Online media buy campaign for tablets ends this week – 82,000+ clicks delivered so far, analysis will be sent out after campaign ends
  • SEM campaign launch for tablets pending
  • Kicking off SEO efforts to streamline acquisition funnel
  • Finalizing marketing plan proposal for FF11 launch
  • native Fennec Beta communications and messaging
  • Preparing for MWC

Public Relations

Google, Mozilla, Wikipedia Fight SOPA Piracy Bill

Mozilla, Firefox join anti-SOPA strike

Black Duck Software Names 2011 Open Source Rookies of the Year

Has Firefox Lost Its Edge?

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • Nobody voiced a concern over the last week about recording this meeting.

Actions this week

18-January-2012

Thunderbird Meeting Minutes: 2012-01-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2012-01-17

last meeting | index | next meeting »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to press *1 to unmute yourself before talking!

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> bwinton

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to rebron@mozilla.com so that he can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird ESR

Thunderbird Development

For more details, see also the driver meeting notes.

Feature Work

  • Account provisioning has been delayed until TB 11 due to needing more technical information and more testing on the providers.

  • Will be disabled on Beta for the next week or so.
  • Will be re-enabled with the next merge to Aurora.
Test Pilot
Tabs on Top
  • Currently investigating ways of making the stacked QFB and Gloda search input less confusing, visually
Big Files
  • Nailing down UI; big pieces remaining:

    • Configuration UI

    • Conversion between regular and cloud attachments

Schedule and Progress

Thunderbird 10
  • Working on resolving the last few tracker bugs. Another beta this week, maybe one more at the start of next.

  • This release will form the basis of the ESR.
Thunderbird 11
Thunderbird 12
Thunderbird 3.1.x
  • Now that the ESR has been announced, the EOL of 3.1.x will be 24th April 2012.

Extension of the week

Account Colors is a useful extension for people having more than one account, as each account is colored in a different color, so you know which one you are using (when reading or composing emails).

QA Updates

  • Usual maintenance and testing

Marketing Updates

  • Thunderbird ESR announcement

  • Thunderbird ADUs back to 7.7 to 7.8MM a day led by Germany, US, France, Japan, Italy, Poland.
  • Getting ready for Tb10, web pages and announcements.

Infrastructure Update

Build / Release Update

  • Unthrottled major updates to Thunderbird 9.0.1

  • Firefox RelEng ESR tracking work in bug 717106. Need an equivalent for Thunderbird.
  • Continue work to build Thunderbird on Firefox infrastructure

Web Update

  • Account Provisioner fun last week!

  • Halfway through ispdb mail reviews, will be finishing them up after the meeting~
  • all outstanding l10n stuff has been merged, ready for TB10 whenever

Documentation

Support

(If you support Thunderbird or write or translate documentation to help support Thunderbird, please subscribe to the tb-support-crew mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the list)

  1. 542 new support topics (901 one week ago) – Media:ThunderbirdGSStats-9-15Jan2012-2012-01-16_1349.pngNOTE: these numbers are low because GS’s stats failed to work for Monday-Wednesday

  2. Thunderbird 9 Support Issues – Please edit and add any issues or bugs found in TB9 and tag them tb9 – Hot issue last week: [of Rich Text or Spreadsheet results in plaintext instead of HTML in Locales that use a comma i.e. ',' as a Decimal Point.] WORKAROUND: change Decimal Point to a period i.e. ‘.’ – bug 714115 – fixed in FF11/TB11 and hopefully in FF10/TB10
  3. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

Attendees

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress