Meeting Notes

31-October-2012

SeaMonkey: 2012-10-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • Mcsmurf nominates “Everyone involved in fixing the build problems”.

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

  • Ratty filed bug 803168 [Meta] Port Installer Changes from Firefox as at 2012/10. Hopes people will help with some of the referenced bugs.

OPEN

  • TBD

CLOSED

  • TBD

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • All our machines are now at SCL3 or SCL1.

    • The R4 Macs are plugged-in, connected and base-imaged. Waiting on Callek to complete the setup (also see below in the clang section, sea-mini-osx64-1..4).

    • The remaining machines on Parallels are the buildmaster (cb-seamonkey-linuxmaster-01) and Linux64 (cb-seamonkey-linux64-01). These need to be migrated to ESX. Specifically:
      • sea-vm-linux64-1 will most likely replace cb-seamonkey-linux64-01.

      • sea-master1 will replace the current buildmaster.
    • bug 740633 set up seamonkey HPs in scl3. Hardware installed and iLO configured. CentOS 6.3 installed. sea-puppet is online. Callek to set the host up as a puppet master.
  • Linux builds have been failing because the GTK version installed on the tinderboxen was too old. See bug 795354 on updating the GTK version on the tinderboxen. bug 794285 has lowered the GTK version requirement back to 2.10 for now (with a source compat layer for building with GTK 2.10)
    • Also see bug 793634 on this, in the future GTK 2.18 and glib 2.22 will be required).

    • bug 793501 added two new functions, which are provided by gtk 2.18 and above. bug 805753 fixes the src compat layer to include those two functions.
  • Linux 64bit builds are failing (bug 798921) since mozilla-central bug 797671 landed.
    • This is due to us having an older binutils package on the machine 2.17.50.0.6-2.

    • “SSE4 support in gas and objdump” was added to binutils in 2.17.50.0.6-4.
    • This is enabled by default on x86_64 and based off another check for x86, which explains why linux32 is OK.
    • We plan to get Linux 64bit building again (at the cost of some perf) by defining YUV_DISABLE_ASM.
  • Build SeaMonkey using clang bug 775539. In progress.
    • bug 776426 Set up ccache on all MacOSX systems. CCACHE is installed on the MacOSX systems. Buildbot config changes to enable ccache usage have been checked in. Currently waiting to see if this fix sticks.

    • bug 791442 Mac trunk build with clang and XCode 4.1 failing. Callek is investigating. Current solution will be to install Mac OS X 10.7 (already done) and all required software on the sea-mini-osx64-1..4 and do buildbot magic to only build on the new macs and test on our “old” ones. There is no solution yet for the machines cb-sea-miniosx64-01..3. Update: clang seems to work now with the 10.7 buildbox.
    • bug 806609 ipc_channel_posix.cc fails to compile on SeaMonkey OS X debug buildslave. somewhere in the build process some flags get lost. Mcsmurf will investigate.
    • The latest build issue on the new OS X Lion builders is probably bug 805091. Mcsmurf filed bug 806317 to port PATH buildbot config changes.
  • Localized SeaMonkey central & aurora Linux & Mac builds busted. A fix is in progress in bug 799626.

Release Train

It’s been busy two weeks again with 3 releases including a second chemspill.

  • 2.14b1 shipped October 22

  • 2.14b2 shipped October 26
  • 2.13.2 shipped October 27

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.

  • Addon Compatibility Listings
    • Extensions are now compatible by default thus mitigating the issue. Although some people still disable c-b-d and run into issues.

    • AMO bug 666303 has been fixed (Seamonkey 2.1 and newer are detected as Firefox 2.1 and newer on the Add-on Site).
    • Nothing to highlight.
  • Our build team (Serge, Callek, ewong) needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. bug 763506
    • sgautherie thinks that the current DOMi branches/tags are not suitable for automatic SeaMonkey branch selection.

    • Need some traction on this. IanN spoke to Serge at MozCampEU. Serge is waiting for Callek/ewong to agree what needs to happen and to say what is workable or not.
    • In the past Serge often pushed this forward for us. But with Serge on a sabbatical, Ewong thinks he should talk to Callek in getting this automated.
    • Meanwhile Invisible Smiley will check where we need bumps this time.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • 2.13 had ~76,700 ADU by last Tuesday and 2.13.1 ~72,600 downloads so far.

    • Of the released versions, as of last Tuesday, we have 10.4% on 2.0, 3.0% on 2.1-2.3, 3.8% on 2.4-2.6, 6.1% on 2.7-2.9, 2.0% on 2.10, 5.4% on 2.11, 14.1% on 2.12 and 55.2% on 2.13. So, in the last two weeks, ~1.7k (an additional 1.2% of ADU) have migrated to 2.7 or above.

    • Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.). This even more applies to 2.10 which dropped support for Win2k and WinXP without SP2.
    • We now have a webpage for latest builds available for “Legacy Platforms” like PPC (bug 759315) but hikerbiker suggests making the Legacy/PPC link more discoverable (Mozillazine post). IanN agrees that the current link is not easily found. InvisibleSmiley said that he didn’t want it to be too obvious or highlighted. IanN thinks splitting and renaming Old to Previous isn’t a bad idea and moving Unofficial Releases after it. Perhaps merging Contributed builds into it.
      • This is now bug 788543 SeaMonkey – PPC Legacy links are not easy to find.

      • The point is that the new page lists external projects, i.e. projects we have no control over and where we cannot estimate the level of quality, provide no support etc. InvisibleSmiley really dislikes the idea of exposing any of that more than necessarily. So, if someone puts up a viable suggestion on the corresponding bug and people (read: seamonkey-members) agree that’s what should be done, Jens will do it, otherwise not.
  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.13

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (3)
targeted (3)
fixed (6)

  • We’ve had another chemspill (2.13.2). We took the opportunity to backport bug 801615 (Edited contacts can’t be saved if address book has lists) and bug 803843 (IMAP mailfiles keep growing to gigabyte size) to 2.13.2.

  • We’ve been holding back AUS updates for 2.13.2 while waiting for Norton to whitelist this release? IanN thinks we cannot wait for Norton indefinitely and should activate them now. According to Ewong, once Callek resolves the issue either later today or tomorrow he’ll do the pushsnip.
  • One tracked 2.5 issue still open.
    • 2.1 through 2.7 have NOT included the ka (Kartvelian aka Georgian) locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14. The ka l10n maintainer has made some recent updates but;

    • Callek thinks we should remove ka, unless we can get commitment from the ka person to actually update things himself instead of dumping tarballs on us and expecting us to check it in for him. Tracked in bug 667147.
  • SeaMonkey 2.13 Release Notes
  • Fixes in 2.13.2

2.Next

  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:

    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 789546 Convert all JS users of imgICache service to use privacy-aware imgITools API instead. Tracked in:
      • bug 792700 Convert all JS users of imgICache service to use privacy-aware imgITools API instead (SeaMonkey part) [FIXED] needs approval for comm-aurora.
    • bug 695399 Remove calls to nsICacheSession::openCacheEntry on the main thread; and bug 737615 Remove use of synchronous cache API from unit tests. Tracked in:
      • bug 792735 Remove synchronous calls to nsICacheSession::openCacheEntry in SeaMonkey [FIXED].
    • bug 779473 (nsresult-enum-class) Make nsresult an enum class. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 801383 Build is failing in comm-central MailNews code since m-c Bug 779473 [FIXED].
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
      • bug 795354 Migrate SeaMonkey Linux builders to CentOS 6.

      • bug 794772 Port |Bug 713802 – Build with GIO support (and drop GnomeVFS)|
      • bug 795354 Migrate SeaMonkey Linux builders to CentOS 6.
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets?
    • bug 797671 Update webrtc.org code from stable branch 3.12. Tracked in:
      • bug 798921 Assembly errors compiling SeaMonkey for Linux-x86_64: No such instruction: pmulld %xmm6, %xmm0 (webrtc) [IN PROGRESS].
    • Several Services/Sync changes landed on 2012-10-22
      • bug 804335 Port 2012-10-22 Sync changes from mozilla-central [FIXED].
    • bug 800614 Require Python 2.6 to build the tree
      • bug 803808 Update Python on SeaMonkey buildslaves [IN PROGRESS].
  • Lightning:
    • TBD

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 51 new, 16 fixed, 20 triaged.

  • Rather low triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
27 review
7 super-review
2 ui-review
6 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.

    • Out of sight out of mind. The trouble with shuffling this off to another page makes these issues less discoverable. Ratty suggests featuring one or more bugs from that page at each meeting.

Good First Bugs

  • Note: The GFB list is open to all including our regular contributors.

  • Ratty is working on an updated GFB list, suggestions welcome.
  • Currently there are 30 GFBs open, 3 are being actively worked on. One is delayed, and one was abandoned.
  • List of Open mentored bugs.
    • Ratty notes that there are 24 bugs that are GFBs but without the mentor keyword. These need to be audited to see if they are really suitable as GFBs.
  • In the last two weeks since the previous meeting:
  • Newcomer Amod is stalled on bug 752331 (Busy with exams).
    • Mentors of stalled bugs should try to communicate with the assignees and if they can’t work on them any more to unassign/free up those bugs.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Callek

Fixed:

Working on:

  • bug 740633 set up seamonkey HPs in scl3 (:dustin and Callek).

  • bug 799626 Localized SeaMonkey central & aurora Linux & Mac builds busted.
  • bug 798921 Assembly errors compiling SeaMonkey for Linux-x86_64: No such instruction: pmulld %xmm6, %xmm0 (webrtc).

Other activities:

  • Did some reviews and approvals.

  • Engaged in release engineering and SeaMonkey driver discussions.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 783600 – Sanitize the No Proxies Preference more (network.proxy.no_proxies_on).

    • bug 793582 – Cannot open Image Manger via Tools->Image Manager->Manage Image Permissions (regression)
    • bug 797410 – Use Components.results instead of hardcoding nsresult values.
    • bug 798685 – Port |Bug 794602 – nsWebBrowserPersist::SaveURIInternal creates a channel out of thin air| to SeaMonkey
  • Review:

    • bug 633937 – Port bug 562048 to suite.

    • bug 739056 – Port |Bug 715099 – Convert nsProfileMigrator to JS so we can use JS modules on migration| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 760942 – install python ‘ssl’ module on SeaMonkey Windows machines
    • bug 774991 – stop support OSX 10.5 in SeaMonkey
    • bug 785675 – Port |Bug 748490 – Provide common location for testing modules| to fix multiple perma-oranges.
    • bug 791238 – Clean up Output() function in nsSuiteApp.cpp on Windows (Use MultiByteToWideChar instead of NS_ConvertUTF8toUTF16)
    • bug 801427 – Clean up old versions of SeaMonkey from ftp
    • bug 803808 – Update Python on SeaMonkey buildslaves
  • Working On:

    • bug 775539 – Build SeaMonkey using clang

    • bug 776426 – Set up ccache on all MacOSX systems
    • bug 768380 – sea-vm-linux64-1 need to set up for our builds.
    • bug 801287 – Loading URL by pressing ENTER on already present URL in location bar doesn’t maintain URL encoding (Port Bug 461304)

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 805753 Gtk 2.10 compat layer misses gtk_widget_set_has_window

    • bug 802348 Port |bug 795662 – Update libpng to version 1.5.13| to comm-central
    • bug 802365 Sync NSS and NSPR versions in configure.in between comm-central and mozilla-central
    • bug 802375 Port |bug 697064 – Remove MOZ_CHECK_HEADERS(mmintrin.h) from configure.in| to comm-central
    • bug 803856 Port using -mstackrealign to comm-central
    • bug 803862 Port |bug 722933 – add -MACHINE option for link.exe| to comm-central
    • bug 803855 Port __stdcall and ssize_t configure.in changes to comm-central
    • bug 803914 Port |bug 791305 Use libjpeg’s color conversion code instead of our own| to comm-central
    • bug 802334 Port |bug 799391 – Remove libiw check| to comm-central
    • bug 802343 Port |bug 557000 – Correctly set GCC_VERSION on mingw| and |bug 797793 – Disable format warnings on mingw| to comm-central
    • bug 803834 Port Python version / virtual environment changes to comm-central
  • Waiting for review:
    • bug 803834 Port Python version changes to comm-central

    • bug 802352 Port |bug 797049 – Disable C4351 as an MSVC warning about a change to be standards-compliant in MSVC2005 (!). Also sync up warning-disabling between configure.in and js/src/configure.in, and add comments about the warnings being disabled| to comm-central
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
  • Reviewed and waiting for other patches before checkin:
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Add en-GB locale to Firefox for Android
  • Working on:
    • Various SM Council documents.

    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • bug 778534 Use image instead of html:img in instant messaging
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

InvisibleSmiley

  • Fixed:

    • bug 806120 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.13.2

    • bug 805972 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.14 Beta 2
    • bug 804335 Port 2012-10-22 Sync changes from mozilla-central
    • bug 804017 Update SeaMonkey website for 2.14 Beta 1

mcsmurf

  • Fixed two security bugs

  • Found two regressions, turned out to be Tech Evanglism issues:
    • bug 801311 Basketball live ticker does not work anymore

    • bug 804084 Beatport music player does not work anymore
  • Worked on bug 773761 Port |Bug 760625 – Use the blocklist to inform click-to-play plugins|
  • Filed bug 803808 Update Python on SeaMonkey buildslaves
  • Filed bug 805753 Gtk 2.10 compat layer misses gtk_widget_set_has_window (build issue on Linux buildboxen)
  • Filed bug and created patch: bug 806136 Fix code logic bug in addClickToPlayCallback method (notification.xml)
  • Fixed bug 806205 browser_bug435325.js test fails
  • Fixed bug 806317 Port PATH buildbot config change to fix Lion OS X builds (build issue on Mac buildboxen)

Mnyromyr

Progressing slowly on bug 127399 Allow sending emails with IDN based email addresses.

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 736661 outgoing server (SMTP) cannot be highlighted even though selected.

  • bug 792735 Remove synchronous calls to nsICacheSession::openCacheEntry in SeaMonkey.
  • bug 802820 Restore charset title fallback.
  • bug 803038 Can’t view source of files with attachment disposition.
  • bug 803661 Can’t save from the view source window.
  • bug 803847 Block script from seeing clicks on the plugin placeholders.
  • bug 804657 Remove UI for HTTP Networking, Enable Keep-Alive, N/A Since bug 770331.
  • bug 805266 Avoid extra make pass in mime/public.
  • bug 804411 JavaScript has to be enabled to parse feeds.
    • Needs approval for Aurora and Beta.
  • bug 806144 JavaScript error in pageInfo.js with broken image.
    • Needs approval for Aurora and Beta.

Waiting for review:

  • bug 797988 [classic] No focus rect on header field buttons in message compose.

  • bug 664695 Improve signature of nsIConsoleService::GetMessageArray.

Ratty

Fixed:

  • bug 792700 Convert all JS users of imgICache service to use privacy-aware imgITools API instead (SeaMonkey part).

    • waiting for comm-aurora approval.
  • bug 803172 Package SiteSpecificUserAgent (Portbug 800157).
  • bug 803585 Default client checking should be done from nsSuiteGlue, not in navigator->Startup().
  • bug 803781 Disable tearing and Add LSApplicationCategoryType to the Info.plist so that SeaMonkey shows up under Productivity when sorting applications by Application Category in Finder.
  • bug 804639 Package breakpadinjector.dll and configure.in changes frombug 769048.

Working on:

  • bug 805805 Package Dom Permission Settings frombug 770731 (Expose JS API for modifying app permissions).

Other:

  • Good first Bugs: See the Good First Bugs section above.

  • Tracking mozilla-central bugs that affect SeaMonkey.
  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

stefanh

Working on bug 806236 Update info.plist (register svg files and playable media types, clean up icons).

tonymec

When not triageing bugs or doing non-Mozilla activities I’ve been busy with the results of the Equinox Bug Event. The easy parts (designing Bugzilla reports) are long done, the most time-consuming part (the analytic table of all bugs concerned, their state after the Event, and who did it) is about 50% complete (all bugs < 500000 have been tallied, plus three > 700000). Sorting the table by Product :: Component shows an obvious clustering of the actors.

Any other business?

  • Bug Day:

    • Useful link: [1], also see [2] for results.

    • Tallying Bug Day results: still in progress. See Tonymec’s roundtable entry for details.
  • Test failures
    • qawanted, especially on Linux and MacOSX specific issues: reproducing and reporting would already help.

    • Serge says that on Linux and MacOSX, he just needs someone to actually run the tests and report what they see (screen, console, etc). For example, there is a Mac test about Ctrl+W not working. This should be so trivial.
    • Tonymec suggests that any enthusiastic user, even non-technical, should be able to do some testing (litmus?) and not be scared by technical language and such.
    • IanN suggests reaching out to the user community using the newsgroups and forums.
    • Ratty to liaise with Serge when he gets back on doing a write up how the community can help us with this.

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Thunderbird: 2012-10-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> Ludovic

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to abourcier@mozilla.com that she can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

Feature Work

Modern Address Book
  • Some low-level restructuring to encourage code-reuse

  • Started moving Mork connector over to new interface
  • Started to move over to using DeferredTask and Promises.
Instant Messaging
  • a few patches for 17 in the queue (eg Fastamil interop for IM)

Schedule and Progress

  • 16.0.2 and 10.0.10esr released, fixing further security issues mainly due to core code. Also fixed an IMAP download issue.
Beta Version
  • Last week’s beta was delayed due to the security issues, should be getting a new beta this week.
Earlybird
  • A spellcheck issue that exists in release bug 790475 has been patched in Daily and Earlybird.

    • Please test HTML mail with non-default fonts, and make sure that spellcheck behaves. Thanks!

QA Updates

  • Figuring moztrap

Build / Release Update

  • Thunderbird 17.0b2 ‘go to build’ expected today (bug 797853)

    • using bhearsum+rail’s new release automation web interface to start this build.
  • Move to CentOS6 + mock build platform targetted at 18.0b1

Web Update

  • internet is being difficult so I might not be on Vidyo

  • fixed mozcom-cdn references on the website, I think I got them all, but if you see any errors related to “mozcom-cdn.mozilla.net” let me know.

Lightning Updates

  • Philipp was at calconnect, lots of good stuff happening there:

    • Tested autodiscovery extension, good results for most servers

    • Tested delgation/counter patches, UI is good but not fully functional yet
    • Learned about some new and emerging standards
    • Changing ical.js backend format to the JSON format proposed by some calconnect folks
  • Lightning 1.9 betas were out early, which worked pretty nicely.

  • Lightning 1.9 betas has some small regressions, but nothing major
  • Build System integration work is progressing, initial support will land soon
  • Please test Lightning 1.9 betas extensively!

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

  • The proposed Governance and Release Model document has been updated, and descriptions for the module owner and release drivers that have previously been discussed put in place. See the thread on tb-planning for more information.

    • We’re looking to “finalise” this as the way forward from the Thunderbird 17 release.

Attendees

andreasn, Irving, mconley, bwinton, florian, jb, Usul, standard8, Fallen


Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to use headphones and mute yourself when not talking

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Mozilla Platform: 2012-10-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Products/Projects

Firefox OS

  • Convergence milestone plan is incoming

    • Quick note on priorities of bb+ bugs
  • B2G Test Drivers program is going swimmingly well – thanks for your feedback, and keep it coming
    • This call only: if you’re an engineer and have STR, please file a bug (template) instead of using the feedback app – saves a step

    • We’re expecting to push another stable (dogfooding) build out today, with new fixes/regressions :)
    • First FOTA (kernel) update test should be happening in the next couple of weeks
  • QA:
  • Accomplishments
    • 3 sets of weekly smoketests data on Otoro Master, Otoro Nightly, and Unagi Nightly. Weekly Test Results.

    • Dogfood build received 2 updates already since its infancy. Reports are rolling in nicely through feedback and bugzilla.
    • Team continues mapping of testcases to usecases in v1 FFOS tracking sheet. See areas done .
      • up to 1500 testcases in MozTrap to date.
    • Created a first set of test results from test execution in MozTrap. Exportable via PDF.
    • Worked through the blocking+ list of bugs with engineering
    • Wrapping up sprint for device storage, contacts, and alarm mochitests. Expect tracking bugs up by EOD next Tues.
    • Still some breakage in mochitest. Running the sanity suite shows various tests erroring out of the run with focus restore issues. Don’t currently think this is the tests, so going to put them up for review anyway, but would block putting them on TBPL unless the current mochitest work fixes it.
    • Still waiting on A-Team to get mochitests up on TBPL so we can expand framework.
    • QA driving discussion on performance and stability for v1. Met with reps from slimfast, memshrink, platform, and gaia teams to brainstorm ideas.
  • Issues / Risks:

    • Packaged apps is entirely broken on trunk

    • Still blocked for B2G on mochitest-chrome
    • There are still blockers that are taking >2 days to resolve. Many of these are found in smoketests
    • TEF is still on Otoro devices, and have yet to move to Unagi. We need to collaborate on one testing device.
    • Video recording is still not done
    • Lots of dupe bugs coming in from dogfooding. Working with Relmgmt on best process to cover these.
    • Taking an alternate tactics w/ dchan and ptheriault to test permissions manager against desktop Gecko to get at least some early assurance. Once mochitest-chrome lands, will switch priorities back to tests running on B2G.
    • Payments and Identity UX and user stories still isn’t complete
    • App Install and Errors UX and user stories still isn’t complete
    • Smoketest Blockers:
      • Builds are still crashy and rebooting. just doing a smoketest, we’re averaging 5-6 crashes and 2-3 reboots last week

      • bug 805967 – [OTA update] much of my user data blown away in today’s update
      • bug 805966 – 10/26 daily build is hosed (boots only to black screen) – this blocked smoketesting on Friday.
      • bug 805377 is now generating a crash whenever you select the video selection in the camera app.
      • bug 805967 [OTA update] much of my user data blown away in today’s update
      • bug 800263 – [FM Radio] Launch the FM Radio with headphone already plugged-in will cause screen freeze
    • Functional Blockers:
      • bug 796172 – [Homescreen] Takes ~6 seconds to appear after pressing the home button

      • bug 800203 – [camera] Camera shows major graphical glitch right after taking a picture
      • bug 796818 – video is not showing up after recorded from camera
      • bug 798636 – [Gallery] Crash upon finishing loading all of my pictures, including a picture just taken from the camera
      • bug 796814 – [email] Email cannot launch if it does not think that the account does not have an inbox
      • bug 796082 – [Music] Music player crashes when scrolling mix screen
    • Blocking basecamp+ count is still high, but trending down…
Release
  • Non-blocker bugs need driver approval starting 11/1

  • Blocker bugs need driver approval starting 12/1
  • Prioritizing work: smoketest keyword
Gaia
  • Visibly transitioning away from feature work

  • Etienne and Fabrice landed 3rd party app updates (and other 3rd party built-in app support)
  • Margaret landed crash reporting UI
WebAPI
Gonk

Firefox Desktop

Release update

  • FF17.0b3 went out last Wednesday, with 16.0.2 security fixes

  • FF16.0.2 went out last Friday
  • Final CTP block tests are going up today (can also toggle plugins.click_to_play), please also continue testing SocialAPI
  • FF17.0b4 is going to build before EOD today
  • We’ve only got 2 betas left! If you’ve received a nag email today, please make sure to comment with status on FF17+ bugs assigned to you.
  • As a reminder, you can find our release calendar here and we now also have a release Twitter account

Development update

  • Dao landed a few Snappy fixes:

    • Don’t do unnecessary work before first window paint, on startup (bug 715402)

    • Reduce unnecessary layout flushes in the tabstrip (bug 752376)
  • Ehsan, Josh and the folks from AppCoast are making good progress on front-end per-window private browsing support (tracking bug: bug fxPBnGen)
  • Social is in the last weeks of beta, we’re working as hard as possible to get all the remaining blockers addressed
  • Mike Conley is continuing to refine the new download manager panel (bug 746756, bug 766263, bug 801055)

Firefox Mobile

Responsiveness
  • \o/ Progressive tile drawing is now enabled by default bug 795259, bug 803013

    • Also turned off java screenshots with that
  • Fix for bug 757680 Too few touch events dispatched for drawing application has landed (yay for parapara fans)
  • Pref for disabling Automagic Update Downloads now works (“app.update.autodownload = never) bug 805431
Project 256
IME
  • Backspacing to delete words in text fields now behaves as expected thanks to JChen’s fix for bug 792928. Landed and uplifted to Aurora for Fx18. SUMO, Product, and good citizens who file bugs on-the-go with Fennec rejoice.

  • Other happy IME news includes the freshly landed bug 712018 – International hardware keyboards input text as English qwerty (need implement IME support for hardware keyboard)
  • bug 805162 – complete re-write of Android IME to make it thread safe has been reviewed, should be landing this week
a11y
  • bug 802270 – Reuse a11y hover event for a11y focus event
Stability Wins
  • bug 795226 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoInputConnection$2.run(GeckoInputConnection.java)

  • bug 777460 – crash in nsNPAPIPluginInstance::CreateSharedHandle on Honeycomb and above
  • bug 799977 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.Tabs.loadUrlInTab(Tabs.java)
  • bug 803289 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.BrowserApp.onPrepareOptionsMenu(BrowserApp.java)
x86
  • Test builds on the new Razr i (Android x86) are very promising. Chris Lord reports responsivness and performance are very good.

Metro [Weekly]

  • WinRT widget layer backport to VS2010 is mostly complete. Should land on Elm this week (bug 794983). This will remove the dependency on VS2012 and make it possible to build Metro code without breaking compatibility with Windows XP.

  • Continuing elm to mozilla-central merge. Some big blockers like the platform splitting work (bug 755724) that need to get finished up.
  • Next: Migrate Windows builders to the Windows 8.0 SDK. Initial testing work started on this, see bug 774910. We’ll be migrating custom elm builders over to VS2010/8.0 next. This is a big change, QA will need to be involved in testing before we can switch. Releng is currently in the drivers seat. Goal is to get this done by year end so we can turn on metro browser bits for mc nightlies.
  • Product and UX are working on finalizing user stories/requirements for the initial launch.
  • First draft of MVP Feature list available and entered into Bugzilla, queries available at Metro Wiki Page

Stability Report [Weekly]

Desktop

  • Flash – spike in crashes being tracked in bug 805021. Adobe advises in one of the most recent comments that they have determined the root cause of the issue and will push a server side fix. Should see dropoff in 24 hours.

  • Trunk

Mobile

Note:

  • bug 803289 seems to be fixed, only affects nightly.

B2G

The following have traction, just need implementation which are being worked on:

  • still need ui; some bugs have been nom’ed blockers

  • still need ADU…
  • still need symbols…

Snappy [Weekly]

  • Jared Wein landed a fix to prevent the awesomebar popup from opening and closing repeatedly while typing in the location bar. (bug 804968)

  • Dão Gottwald removed some expensive layout flushes when switching tabs if the user isn’t overflowing their tab bar (bug 752376)
  • Dão also changed some initialization code to run after Firefox is drawn resulting in ~10% decrease in perceived start-up time in certain cases (bug 715402)
  • Timothy Nikkel fixed Flash so that when run in a background tab it no longer degrades rendering perf (bug 642257)
  • Vladan Djeric landed a probe to measure various DOM Local Storage overhead (bug 802920) – view telemetry data

Engineering Metrics

0.0 0.0 days 0.0 days 90 bugs (92) 54 bugs(78)
Patch Review Time SG:Crit Resolution Time Top Crash Resolution Time Unresolved Aurora Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta Trackers (non-security)

Key Actions & Issues

Last Week

  • jet to staff social performance profiling, layout-side

  • gavin to staff social performance profiling, session-restore side
  • dmandelin to find owners for 2 JS top crashers
  • jet/jkew to take the text, layout top crashers

This Week

  • Reorganizing Test Directories (Henrik)

  • Backout Policy for Ts Regressions (Ehsan)

Roundtable

  • (catlee) Downtime notice for Saturday November 3, 9:30am-4:00pm PT [1]

    • HG will be offline for maintenance bug 805851

    • all trees will be closed
  • (catlee) releng unagi builds on TBPL as of today. these are per-checkin. we’re working on nightly build support w/ updates and signed mars.
  • (jst) make “WebIDLFile”-example is your friend if you’re implementing WebIDL interfaces.
  • (johnath) need layout owner on the social+flash bustage on nightly/aurora now that we have a regression range and suspect

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2012-10-3011:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room / SFO-Boardroom
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

30-October-2012

Mozilla Project: 2012-10-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

  • Dan Parsons & Greg Cox (Mozilla IT) for their relentless pursuit of a NetApp performance bug that had been impacting Hg & ftp.mozilla.org.

Upcoming Events

Monday, 29 October

  • SecReview: Mobile-APIs for Java Code in Addons – 13:00 PST

  • Mozilla’s Boston Mozilla Space is closed today due to the storm and will be closed until Boston’s Mayor Menino lifts the state of emergency. (the actual space that Mozilla’s office is in, is unstaffed today.
  • Everyone on the East Coast of the US, stay safe! For those that work with folks in the US Northeast, beware that they may not be responsive at times Mon – Wed as Hurricane Sandy hits hard.

Product Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

  • Getting great feedback on social, thanks for that, keep it coming.

    • Trying to figure out if flash issues related to social are happening on beta, or only on nightly/aurora. Can you help? bug 805331
  • Accelerating update rates bug 803181
  • Check out Dave’s post, What is Jetpack here for?

Firefox Mobile

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

  • Still feeling positive about ARMv6 in FF17

  • Big improvements landing on Nightly
    • Homescreen search widget

    • Lightweight themes (née personas)
    • Reflow on zoom

Webmaker

No verbal updates today – will start regular weekly product updates after Sandy-ocalypse. See (way) below for meta updates. Hope to see you at MozFest!

Firefox OS

  • No audio – text update below in the non-audible section.

Grow Mozilla

Speaker Location: David in San Francisco

Three community building workshops will be run over the next two weeks:

  • Designing projects for participation — Thursday, 11/1 at 10 pacific — 3G in Mountain View

  • Identifying contributors — Tuesday, 11/6 at 10 pacific — Boardroom on 7th floor in San Francisco
  • Measuring & evaluating — Thursday, 11/8 at 10 pacific — Bay Bridge in 3rd floor in San Francisco

All workshops accessible through Vidyo in David Boswell’s vidyo room and will also be recorded and made available publicly.

Speakers

Title Presenter Topic Media More Details
Capture Mozilla Dino Anderson and Dia Bondi Using video to capture and share knowledge (from know-how to cultural) across the Mozilla community. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Grow/Viki

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Andrea Zingerman Mathew Caldwell Mountain View, CA University Programs Coordinator
Tyler Downer David Tenser San Francisco, CA Support Analyst
Hannes Verschore David Mandelin Netherlands Software Engineer

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Firefox OS

  • Product, PM and Eng meeting with TEF in London last week. Common ground found, hurdles hurdled.

  • Work week in San Francisco next week!
  • Dogfooding devices shipping out to initial set of signer-uppers in the supported offices. Follow the comments by dogfooders here: https://b2gtestdrivers.allizom.org/comments_table.
  • Engineering is busy driving down the final feature work for partner requirements and device certification.

QA

WebQA

Engagement

PR

Foundation Updates

Webmaker

MozFest is November 9-11 in London.

At MozFest, we are launching:

  • Webmaker badges – get recognition for your learning and skill development while you make something awesome on the Web.

  • Popcorn Maker – now its easy to build awesome Popcorn-ified videos and learn web literacy skills in the process.

Also exploring and scoping:

  • Mobile for Webmaker

  • Hackable Games
  • Teaching javascript
  • More!

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600

24-October-2012

Mobile: 2012-10-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge is 2012-11-19

Major Topics for This Week

Reviewing Roadmap
How are things progressing? Fx18 and Fx19

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

Kats

  • Oct 18 – Oct 24:

    • landed mentored bug 779511 – explicitly destroy gfx direct-allocation buffers (follow-ups: bug 803613, 803700)

    • bug 754047 – remove invalid assertion
    • bug 757680 – disable touch event coalescing by default
    • bug 792143 – add code to zombify unused tabs
    • bug 788216 – profile migrator threading crash on startup
    • interviews
    • landed bug 802640
  • Next:

    • hack together the hacky readability prototype to see how the behaviour feels

    • land bug 801818 and start hooking up memory reduction stuff to the new API

GBrown

  • Last week:

    • bug 797942 LayerManagerOGL not correctly updated on SIZE_CHANGED

    • bug 792212 on the tegras we have found that reftests fail a lot, a whole lot on the newer tegras
    • bug 784278 New tegras (and some old ones) failing in reftest intermittently
    • bug 767215 Intermittent testAxisLocking, testLoad, testFlingCorrectness, testOverscroll, testPanCorrectness | Pixel at 0, 0
    • bug 785577 Intermittent testWebContentContextMenu | Exception caught
  • Next:
    • bug 790102 Frequent trobocheck, trobopan “talosError: ‘GeckoEventExpecter: blockForEvent timeout: Gecko:Ready

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

  • Done

    • bug 802143 – ReusableTileStoreOGL miscalculates the content bounds

    • bug 803013 – Progressive tile painting can cause bad visual artifacts when scrolling on pages that invalidate while scrolling
    • bug 803826 – Repeated paints in a single transaction fail due to a NULL layer builder pointer
    • bug 805014 – Progressive tile painting causes reftests to fail
  • Now/next

    • bug 805028 – Progressive tile painting causes talos to return inaccurate results for checkerboarding

    • bug 795259 – Enable progressive tile drawing by default on Android
    • bug 800475 – Fade in new content tiles
    • bug 798539 – Jerkiness at the end of panning
  • Low priority/blocked

    • Blog about invalidation work

    • bug 788522 – Enable asynchronous opacity and transform animations
    • bug 716403 – Request to hide the navigation bar when scrolling down content
    • bug 785069 – tcheckerboard2 has regressed substantially since Jul 22nd
    • bug 792415 – Covered areas of fixed position elements are not rendered
    • bug 783914 – WEBGL_depth_texture doesn’t work using ANGLE (low priority)

Chris Peterson

  • Done

    • Fixing B2G/Gaia bugs

    • bug 798517 – Do not register Browser as an event listener
    • bug 804328 – Fix setScreenBrightness assertion failure because ScreenManager._savedBrightness is undefined
    • bug 804851 – [Desktop Build] Contacts app never dismisses “Importing from SIM” screen when trying to import from (non-existent) SIM card
  • Next

    • bug 804839 – After positioning cursor within a word, VKB autocapitalizes the first letter inserted

    • bug 799029 – [keyboard] Cursor cannot be positioned by the user

JChen

  • Done

    • bug 795226 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoInputConnection$2.run(GeckoInputConnection.java)

    • bug 792928 – back spacing to delete a whole word in a text field deletes all but one word in the entire text field
  • In Progress
    • bug 769520 and sons – Fix IME race conditions by ensuring Gecko callbacks post results to UI thread

      • bug 770291 – Holding backspace may delete text both in front of and behind the cursor

      • bug 751513 – Typing characters in the contenteditable div causes the whole line to be deleted
      • etc.
  • Next
    • Once the above are fixed

      • bug 792932 – Predictive text doesn’t auto-select corrections in form fields

      • bug 802975 – address bar changes to english (url) keyboard after first letter
      • bug 803797 – text entry in marketplace and twitter app broken
      • bug 803982 – Text input on noodle app drops words
      • any regressions/new bugs

GCP

  • Last week:

    • Sheparding various SafeBrowsing topcrashes into Aurora/Beta

    • bug 787318 Tabs thumbnails are not updated
  • Next week:
    • bug 787318 Tabs thumbnails are not updated

    • bug 797590 Unable to enter more than one word in any text field using Swiftkey 3
    • Similar IME & Third party keyboard bugs

Brian N

  • Done

    • Bug 802881 – Wrong tab is used for getting background color

    • Bug 803325 – Allow opening tabs tray before gecko is ready
    • Bug 799977 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.Tabs.loadUrlInTab(Tabs.java)
    • Bug 803289 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.BrowserApp.onPrepareOptionsMenu(BrowserApp.java)
    • Bug 804434 – Make Tabs.notifyListeners() run on UI thread
    • Bug 803293 – Remove some old code from BrowserApp
    • Working on Bug 784086 – Change DB schema to more closely resemble places
  • Next
    • Bug 784086 – Change DB schema to more closely resemble places

Sriram

  • Done:

  • Doing: Personas (and only that)
    • Screenshots: http://cl.ly/image/1j0S29340c13 and http://cl.ly/image/180E2L3t0I1l

    • Resolved issues / Done:
      • Add a transparency to the images and add it to the button

      • Hack the transparency through canvas, to avoid alpha problem in StateListDrawable (http://cl.ly/image/1c3F2f381n0p)
      • Avoid corruption on disabling personas (http://cl.ly/image/1B1n063j0500)
      • Take care of rotation
      • Take care of tabs-tray open + rotation
      • Take care of top notification bar while cropping the persona
      • Make the persona flow into the Tabs Tray
    • Unresolved issues / ToDo:
      • 10″ tablet

      • Calculate dominant color only once
      • Font based on dominant color
      • Back/Forward buttons
      • Add tint to action-bar buttons
      • AwesomeScreen
      • Minor issues with about:home

WesJ

Last week:

  • Bug 744961 – Add some form of history expiration

  • Bug 803687 – Corrupt thumbnails after Fennec starts up with a page URL
  • Bug 802588 – about:home has misaligned/overlapping thumbnails on tablet
  • Bug 790305 – Don’t add history entries for redirects or error pages
  • Bug 681805 – [TABLETUI] Hide forward button when there is not forward shistory…

This week:

  • Reduce the number of thumbnails we store

  • Bug 788073 – Use platform touch redirection – tracking down some test failures
  • Bug 804860 – IndexedDB callbacks not being called

LucasR

Last week

  • bug 785945 – Awesomescreen entries are very slow to appear

    • A lot of experimentation and testing, work in progress
  • bug 800883 – Ensure tab button is never left in pressed state
  • Worked with lsblakk on the initial list of sessions for MozCamp Asia’s Firefox track

Next week

  • bug 770492 – Quick sliding to close tabs will not dismiss them anymore at some point

  • More awesomebar and about:home perf hacking

Margaret

Done

  • Making progress on b2g crash reporter dialog – bug 801809

  • Started working on banner for subsequent crashes – bug 801925
  • Slowly figuring out a git workflow!

Next

  • Customize crash reporter UI for app crashes – bug 801810

  • Settings UI for automatic crash reporting pref – bug 801932

Scott (jwir3)

Finished:

  • bug 792420 : Toolbar menu entries should not allow their text to be selected (should land today)

  • bug 803211 : Max line box width API should not depend on position but rather the width of text boxes (done, just finishing cleaning up tests)
  • bug 799333 : Reflow on zoom not refreshing after zooming in, then double-tapping to zoom out (should land today)

This Week:

  • bug 804640 : Max line box width API is broken for RTL text

  • bug 787427 : Long press on links causes scroll to top
  • bug 800805 : Reflow on zoom moves the position sideways on the screen incorrectly

Need Assistance:

  • bug 803630 : Remove settings UI for reflow-on-zoom (stalled in aurora approval)

Ian Barlow

Last week
UX Intensive in Atlanta, it was awesome!

This week
Heads down, coming up with ideas at the Firefox UX Concept week in Toronto and SF (limited email/irc access)

Thanks for everyone’s patience, I will be back 100% on Android again next week!

In progress

  • Font Licensing

    • bug 799967 We have test builds with fonts, I’m working on narrowing down our list
  • Private Browsing
  • Personas (themes)
    • Themes themselves are looking good, but discovering a lot of unpleasantness in the install flow

      • No mobile persona website

      • Too many doorhangers / permissions
      • No way of announcing it to users (yet)
      • I’ll share some suggestions on next steps shortly.

UX Bonus Bugs

bug 716403 Scroll header off screen: Double bonus bug – 2 boxes of cookies to whoever fixes this! Wes and Sriram both working on this!

General

  • bug 792407 Colour difference between title bar and in content UI background

  • bug 715258 Favicons are low quality for internal / local pages
  • bug 716051 Favicons are low quality for Mozilla-owned web properties

Title bar

  • bug 784362 Fix forward button bg alignment (tablets)

About:home

  • bug 787765 Update about:home thumbnails (Wes taking this)

Menu

Tabs

  • bug 792410 Update tab thumbnails

  • bug 792414 Add bottom shadow to tabs tray
  • bug 792429 Open tab menu wider (Lucas taking this)
  • [NEW] bug 718465 After opening a new tab, old tab is briefly seen (This might be solved with private browsing!)

Reader

  • bug 792420 Toolbar menu shouldn’t allow its text to be selected (Scott taking this)

Round Table

  • QA

    • Fx17 beta testday – targeting Nov 2nd

    • Armv6 builds testing update (kevin)
    • firefox 17 beta 3 work
    • ThebesLayer/Tile base progressive painting fallout (bug 800041) has a patch, we’ll check the possible dupes (AaronMT)

SUMO

Release

Firefox Ratings on Google Play:

5 star -> 65,647

4 star -> 22,330

3 star -> 14,093

2 star -> 9,159

1 star -> 14,433

Overall rating: 3.92

Nothing too Major has changed on Input since last week. There is an odd bug users are reporting where they have to clear history 2-3 times before it actually clears. Will investigate and file a bug today.

Difficulty clearing History and finding Bookmarks still rank in the top complaints (after crashing, freezing and start page). Fixing these UX issues should be a major win (along with the Start Page improvements)

Beta

5 star -> 12,519

4 star -> 4,523

3 star -> 2,072

2 star -> 1,047

1 star -> 1,817

Overall Rating: 4.13

Nothing major on Beta either, remains mostly unchanged from Release ATM.


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2012-10-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Actions from Last Week

  • Juan to dig into broken XML parsing on netError.xhtml

    • bug 802725 – Unable to reproduce but it was correlated to some extensions that make use of a resource that it wasn’t able to access.

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Release (16, 10esr)

  • FF16.0.1 was unthrottled late last week

  • Other release builds underway
  • Resolving a hotfix cert issue

Beta (17)

  • Beta 2 with SocialAPI/Facebook support went out Monday morning

  • Beta 3 will go out today
  • CTP blocklist testing with newer versions of Flash has begun
  • bug 803181 – Faster uptake of latest Firefox version updates

Aurora (18)

  • B2G landings note

Firefox Mobile

Beta (17)

  • Pursuing a FF17 ARMv6 release for phones that meet current system requirements

Aurora (18)

  • Improved panning on ARMv6 (uplifted to next Beta)

Nightly (19)

  • Homescreen search widget

  • Improved home page thumbnails
  • History expiration
  • Tab expiration
  • Coming Soon
    • Private browsing (per tab)

    • Personas (lightweight themes)
    • Reflow-on-zoom improvements
    • Dynamic tile system

Firefox Metro

  • LOE estimation starts Thursday after the Team Meeting

    • Schedule and Resource Planning will come after estimation

Services

Firefox Sync

  • Firefox Account work is ongoing on desktop and mobile, in tandem with the ID team

Product Announcements

  •  :jrconlin working with Services Ops on getting stage and production instances live

  •  :rnewman working on testing fully-built client against a local install of JR’s code

Firefox Health Report client

  • Core framework progressing, reviews started on first patches

  • Intent is to land as much as possible in the current cycle (Fx19)
    • We are working with Metrics/Ops to understand the timeline for full production infrastructure.

Add-on SDK

Release (1.10 -> Firefox 16, 17)

Stabilization (1.11 -> Firefox 17, 18)

Development (1.12 -> Firefox 18, 19)

  • on track for SDK 1.11 next Tuesday, final RC hopefully today.

Apps

Firefox OS Simulator

  • small team working on new product for testing Firefox OS apps

  • implemented as Firefox Desktop addon, bundles B2G Desktop, exposes functionality via browser tab
  • based on r2d2b2g experimental prototype (about which more in hacks blog post and myk’s blog post)
  • uses Add-on SDK, supports same versions of Firefox Desktop as SDK
  • team pushing hard to ship v1 on November 14 in time for MozCamp Asia November 16-18

  • shipping includes distributing on AMO and via USB sticks at MozCamp Asia
  • major blockers in dependent projects include Windows crasher bug 795484 and 64-bit Linux builds

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • Complaints about the multiple tabs warning continue to grow [1][2]

  • Users upset about the loss of “send link” from context menu. [3][4][5]

Mobile

No Dramatic changes from last week, see Mobile Meeting notes here

User Experience (design & research)

  • [Firefox Concept Week]

    • The Firefox UX/UR team are diving deep into our library of research findings, and spending this week mining them for potential new features and enhancements for Firefox. Stay tuned for the results!
    • [Social API] (Boriss)

      • Filing remaining polish & performance bugs now that we have a wider audience

      • Collecting feedback from beta users on user experience issues
      • Sketching v2 features
    • [newtab2/hometab] (Boriss)

      • Digitizing new mockups for next version

      • Getting plan for prototype implementation together
  • [project SPF (security/privacy)] (Larissa)

    • Cert Error Message reuinification

    • Improve the Site Identity Indicator design!
    • Usable Security Report
  • [metro] (yuan)

    • Iterating on the Settings Charm UI for Firefox Windows 8 v2. About Firefox Page. v1: http://cl.ly/image/3a3C3A0L170b

    • Keep supporting the implementation on StartUI,and portrait mode.
    • Testing out the touch interactions using Windows 8 TouchMouse.
  • [android] (ibarlow)

    • prototyping and evaluating better default content fonts

    • designing and prototyping some search suggestion improvements http://cl.ly/image/1i2U0u1Z3X1g (Blake)
  • [User Research - Project Meta] (Lindsay, Bill, Leo)

    • We are in the final planning stages for Project Meta – AKA the Firefox user segmentation project. We will be in the field in Toronto, Charlotte, NC, and Los Angeles the week of November 5. If you are interested in going into the field with one of the teams, please email Bill Selman (wselman@mozilla.com) or Lindsay Kenzig (lkenzig@mozilla.com) to let them know.

Market insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team

Desktop / Platform

Apple

Google

Microsoft

  • Windows 8 is released this week. Analysts predict that 2013 will be a tough year for Microsoft, as they now have only about a 30% share of personal computing devices when PCs, tablets and smartphones are combined.

  • The MSIE10 team posted a detailed summary of how developers can identify, support, and test for MSIE10 on the upcoming release of Windows 8 Phone.
  • Microsoft also announced that MSIE10 will be made available on Windows 7 in November
  • Internet Explorer came to XBox this week

Nokia

  • Nokia released Xpress, a proxy compression-enabled browser combined with an RSS Reader. Interestingly, it appears that it does *not* use the native MSIE10 rendering engine, but something different.

WebKit

Mobile

  • 7.9-inch iPad mini launched

  • Nexus 10-inch tablet rumored to be revealed at Android event on the 29th of October
  • Chrome OS has been ported to ARM architecture
  • Nokia launching $199 entry-level Lumia smartphone aimed at emerging markets
  • Mobile phones to overtake PCs as most common Web access method in 2013, according to Gartner
  • Nearly 2 out of 3 smartphones shipped in H1 of 2012 were on Android, according to Vision Mobile
  • Further details available in your inbox or here

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Marketing

Desktop

  • Ramping up Messenger for Firefox marketing campaign

  • Social API Beta now live — see the marketing goals for this time-period here [6]

Mobile

  • Review solicitation continues to show great results, in the last two weeks 9,000 5-star reviews and 6,500 pieces of feedback on SUMO.

  • Current Projects
    • Working on ASO (App Store Optimization, similar to SEO) changes to the Google Play Store description & screenshots to improve search ranking position and download CTAs

    • Strategy work for 2013 is kicking off
  • Recent & Planned communications:
    • October 16th: One-off email about “Reader Mode”

    • October 24th: Social Post on Facebook prompting users to “rate” Firefox for Android
    • October 30th: Firefox & You focused on “Halloween & Security”

Press

Mozilla’s New Social API Lets You Bring Facebook Along Wherever You Surf The Web

Sharing But With Privacy In Mind: Mozilla Launches Social API For Firefox, Facebook Messenger First Service To Integrate For Beta Testing

Firefox begins testing Social API with Facebook Messenger, here’s how you can take part

Socialfox: New Feature Puts Facebook in Your Firefox

Firefox Marketplace Is Now Open With Latest Aurora Release

Mozilla Plans H.264 Video for Desktop Firefox

Mozilla Opens Its Firefox For Android Marketplace To Developers And Early Adopters

Firefox Aurora Brings Mozilla’s Web-App Marketplace to Android

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • Engineering Metrics

  • (catlee) ongoing load problems with FTP/SCL3 – possible impact to releases bug 804984

Actions this week


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

23-October-2012

Thunderbird: 2012-10-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? –> TBD

  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Friends of the Tree

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to abourcier@mozilla.com that she can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

Feature Work

Modern Address Book
Instant Messaging
  • App menu in chat tab automatically landing very soon

Schedule and Progress

Beta Version

Probably another beta this week. Today or tomorrow
Ludovic wonders about usage number on Beta. We’re at about 20K – this is a stable number. We currently have a very homogeneous group on Beta. Nobody using antivirus, on other providers than gmail, dovecot, only plaintext e-mail. We need new beta testers.

Extension of the week

No extension of the week

QA Updates

  • Moved our test cases from Litmus to moztrap

  • We lost 4 tests in the process.
  • Post 17 wants to have a day when people can play with moztrap.
  • Reason for the move to moztrap was that Litmus is going away.
  • Working on bubbling up bugs for devs past 17 should get something out this week.

Marketing Updates

Question from Ludovic: What is going on with Twitter and Facebook pages. Do we have a volunteer to do this in the future? Ludovic will send an e-mail to the list about it.

Build / Release Update

Nothing to report

Web Update

  • TB 16->17 Compat update done, will go out early — LAST COMPAT UPDATE YAY

    • Will write documentation on how this works for future uses.
  • Engagement off-site last week. Tiring.

Support and Documentation

  1. Support Meeting, Wednesday October 24, 5:30a.m. Pacific in the Thunderbird Vidyo room – Please fill out 24 Oct 2012 Support Meeting Etherpad and join us if you can

  2. Thunderbird 16.0 Support Issues of the week :
  3. 1280 new support topics (1280 one week ago ) – Media:15-21October2012-GS-TB-Part1of2-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png, Media:15-21October2012-GS-TB-Part2of2-Community_stats_for_Mozilla_Messaging.png
  4. See this week’s Support Appendix for full Get Satisfaction metrics and other support details

Lightning Updates

Nothing to report.

Mark Banner will ping phillip and ask for weekly updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Attendees

standard8, usul, mconley, sancus, andreasn, rolandtango, kent, irving


Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to use headphones and mute yourself when not talking

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page

Mozilla Platform: 2012-10-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Products/Projects

Firefox OS

  • B2G Test Drivers Update

    • Phones in the hands of >100 people now in SF/TO/MV, >250 by the end of the week

    • >70 B2G Test Driver bugs filed already, and >100 pieces of feedback submitted and reviewed
  • B2G Test Driver communication channels:
  • QA Update
    •  ;Gaia

    • Smoketests are now being ran 3 times a day!
    • otoro (master, nightly) and unagi (nightly) devices
    • Bug 800625 – [unagi] video does not show preview
    • Bug 803049 – [Gallery] Previews appear and disappear
    • [NEW] bug 804516 [Marketplce] Apps installed from marketplace do not work
    • [EXISTING] bug 804494 [Contacts] Add picture from camera will return nothing (but the photo will show in gallery)
    • [EXISTING] bug 801549 Not able to reproduce a video just recorded
    • [EXISTING] bug 796884 [Gallery] It is not possible to view a picture in landscape mode
    • [EXISTING] bug 800361 [fm radio] Radio is not playing any sound
    • [EXISTING] bug 800263 [fm radio] Launch the FM Radio with headphone already plugged-in will cause screen freeze
    • [EXISTING] bug 804098 [Contacts] No buttons to call or send SMS from Contact Detail
    • [EXISTING] bug 798156 [camera] Clicking on the thumbnail does not restore photo to full screen view
    • [EXISTING] bug 804469 [Marketplace] Installed app can’t be removed immediately if it has been executed (need reboot)
    • Still finding blockers in the log, need to be addressed ASAP. many are still open after >3 days
    • QA working through a qawanted list
    •  ;Platform
    • Mochitest is still semi-broken. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=798580 — we probably aren’t totally blocked anymore though.
    • Got the go to try Mochitest again late last week. Doing the final vet of the sanity suite now, hoping to have up for review tomorrow. They’ve been unofficially looked over already with positive feedback received.
    • On last couple of days for the test porting sprint. David and Martijn are working on device storage, contacts, and alarm, and I’m working on screen orientation.
    • Perms testing has been blocked on mochitest-chrome for some time. In discussions now w/ security assurance about how best to split off work that doesn’t need chrome, do quick-and-dirty testing locally, etc.
    • A-Team still in progress getting tests up on TBPL.

Firefox Desktop

  • FF17b2 release yesterday at 7AM PT with Facebook Social API support

    • The team is investigating some performance issues, as well as issues with discoverability of how to disable the feature
  • FF17b3 going to build for desktop/mobile at ~noon today, will be released before EOD tomorrow
  • We’re now coming up on b4, the last opportunity for medium-risk or speculative fixes
  • Mike Conley is making good progress on polishing the downloads panel on trunk
  • Just yesterday, Robert Strong landed support for localized stub installer builds

Firefox Mobile

  • bug 749063 Check out Chris Lord’s Blog Post about Progressive Tile Rendering: http://chrislord.net/blog/Software/Mozilla/progressive-tile-rendering.enlighten

  • fixing remaining h.264 blockers for ICS and JB tracked by bug 787226. Looking to release in Fx17
  • Readability 2.0
    • Stabilizing reflow-on-zoom prototype (goal is before Nov. 5th) so we can get as much real world testing as possible on Fx19

    • bug 784375 Limit max ratio for font inflation landed
  • Tracking bug 802616 this has greatly improved ARMv6 panning
    • This adds a new minimum system requirement that the processor supports hardware floating point math
  • QA Update
    • Android Web Compatibility Hands on session today (10Fwd)

    • keeping up with Fx17 beta release work
    • discussion around armv6 readiness with product today, still concerns around undefined performance metrics, but functionality is ok.

Metro [Weekly]

Stability Report [Weekly]

Desktop

  • TRUNK Fx19 – top unresolved crashes

    • bug 801453 – mozilla::image::RasterImage::Discard – fixed by another bug – check in 10/23 build then the crash rate should go down significantly

    • bug 799118 – js::ObjectImpl::readBarrier – unowned
    • bug 803262 – mozilla::FrameLayerBuilder::CheckDOMModified – unowned
    • bug 804613 – crash in DocumentViewerImpl::~DocumentViewerImpl() – unowned
    • bug 801624 – crash in gfxShapedWord::DetailedGlyphStore::Get – unowned
    • bug 683664 – crash @ js::types::TypeScript::Sweep – unowned

Mobile

Nightly :

  • bug 803289 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.BrowserApp.onPrepareOptionsMenu(BrowserApp.java)

Not as much concern for other channels at this moment:

  • recently landed in nightly:

    • bug 782508 – Enable use of hardware H.264/AAC/MP3 decoders in Android libstagefright omx plugin for ICS/JB

Aurora:

Beta:

Release :

B2G

  • https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/products/B2G

  • Symbols still needed for crash reports to get meaningful stacks on Socorro
  • UI for reporting on b2g still outstanding
    • Design has been finalized

    • Margaret helping out with implementation
  • Still working on ADU data so may not be able to use crashes per 100 ADU metric
  • Dogfooders – please log crashes, in particular anything that’s reproducible – add the crash keyword.

Snappy [Weekly]

  • Matt Woodrow reduced tab-close animation jank (bug 750417)

  • To answer JP’s question from last week about the impact of Jeff’s change on tab switch times, we’ve landed a Telemetry probe on Aurora and will shortly be able to take a real look at the before and after for this change
  • Need help with Social perf issues, eg bug 804271,bug 801488,bug 804249 Please turn Social on submit perf bugs.

Mobile Web Compat [2nd Tuesday of Month]

  • Lawrence gave an update during yesterday’s project meeting. Video, Slides

  • Test event today, 12pm PT in 10 forward and on Air Mozilla.

MemShrink [4th Tuesday of Month]

  • Memory consumption is critical for B2G. Lots of work is being done, especially by Justin Lebar. Hopefully it will be enough at this late stage. The tracking bug is here.

  • Gary Kwong got Valgrind tests green on tinderbox. Next steps are to run them on more test suites, more repos and more often — often enough to unhide the results. This will require (moderate) releng resources that are currently strained by B2G.
  • We’re watching the social API closely for problems such as bug 794712 (which was a Facebook problem). Please file bugs and tag with “[MemShrink]” if you see problems.

Engineering Metrics

0.0% 0.0 days 0.0 days 92 bugs 78 bugs
Initial Patches Review within 1 Week SG:Crit Resolution Time Top Crash Resolution Time Unresolved Aurora Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta Trackers (non-security)
  • Bugs, Requests, Info: klahnakoski@mozilla.com, mbest@mozilla.com
  • Proposed Metrics

    • Initial Patches Reviewed within 1 Week

      • Percentage of patch first reviews initiated within the last 3 months that were completed within 1 week
    • SG:Crit Resolution Time
      • Average time to resolved after a bug is tagged as sg:critical in the last 3 months
    • Top Crash Resolution Time
      • Average time to resolved after a bug is tagged as topcrash in the last 3 months
  • Critical Security Bugs
  • Questions

    • Component groupings – (Firefox, Firefox for Android, Core, Toolkit), others?

    • Dealing with defacto “never” or very old
    • Dealing with no reviewer
    • Dealing with time-to-tag (with keyword)

Key Issues

Need owners for the following topcrashes:

    • bug 799118 – js::ObjectImpl::readBarrier – unowned

    • bug 803262 – mozilla::FrameLayerBuilder::CheckDOMModified – unowned
    • bug 801624 – crash in gfxShapedWord::DetailedGlyphStore::Get – unowned
    • bug 683664 – crash @ js::types::TypeScript::Sweep – unowned

Roundtable

  • additional projects/products

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2012-10-2311:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room / SFO-Boardroom
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

22-October-2012

Mozilla Project: 2012-10-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

  • Clauber Halic Stipkovic & Mariana Camardelli for their awesome support of Potch and David Walsh this past weekend at The Developer Conference in Goiania Brazil. They talked to hundreds of young Brazilian developers in track talks and in the Hack room.

  • Rodrigo Padula and Ricardo Panaggio for their FFOS evangelism efforts last week at the Latinoware conference in Foz de Iguacu (pronounciation: foes de ig-wa-sue), Brazil

Upcoming Events

Monday, 22 October

Tuesday, 23 October

  • Come test the mobile Web: 12-1:30pm PT in 10 forward – sign-up

    • Details in the speaker section

Wednesday, 24 October

We are having our weekly Mobile meeting at 3pm today in Michelle Lunas room https://etherpad.mozilla.org/mobile-meet-2012-10-24

Thursday, 25 October

  • We have our 2 weekly ask a question day all day

  • SecReview/Threat Model nav.id – 10:00 am PST

Friday, 26 October

Product Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: Toronto (johnath)

  • Social API now live in Beta!

    • If you don’t get prompted to add it, you can sneak in here

Webmaker

  • No voice update this week

Speakers

Title Presenter Topic Media More Details
Mobile Web Compat Update Lawrence Mandel Update on our mobile Web compatibility dev and evangelism efforts slides test event sign-up
Your Title Here Your Name Here What are you going to talk about? Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location Will be working on
Jennifer Bertsch Chris More Mountain View,CA Bringing Product Management to Engagement websites and specifically www.mozilla.org.
Randall Dow Josh Aas Mountain View,CA Software Engineer, Networking
Lizz Noonan Pete Scanlon San Francisco,CA Mozilla Branding Initiatives

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Firefox OS

  • Product, PM and Eng meeting with TEF in London today, planning for engineering closure and shipping plan.

  • Dogfooding devices shipping out to initial set of signer-uppers in the supported offices. Follow the comments by dogfooders here: https://b2gtestdrivers.allizom.org/comments_table.

QA

WebQA

  • Affiliates

    • Small release scheduled today @ 1pm PST
  • Mozilla.com
  • MDN
  • Socorro
  • SUMO
  • MozTrap
  • Bouncer

Engagement

PR

Web Productions

Foundation Updates


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600

17-October-2012

Mobile: 2012-10-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge is 2012-11-19

Major Topics for This Week

Stability
Still doing OK. We have Nightly and Aurora under 10 per 100ADI. Beta and Release are under 5 per 100ADI. There are some actionable top crashers though and we’ll still keep hammering at those.

Firefox Marketplace
The Marketplace will go into a “developer preview” release this week. The required sign-in will be dropped and people will be able to install webapps from the Marketplace. Firefox for Android (Nightly and Aurora) is the focused clients.

Memory/Space Management
Just wanted to point out that we are started to land more changes that improve Firefox memory and footprint behavior. Things like: Thumbnail and history expiration, Zombifying tabs on memory pressure, and refactoring the favicon storage.

Responsiveness
Some additional improvements focused on UI responsiveness are also landing or will land soon. Things like: Tab tray animation, Tab stubbing in Java, Top Sites query, and Awesomescreen/AboutHome loading.

Welcome jchen
Seriously, say hi. He’ll start out working on some IME bugs that cpeterson dropped on the floor to work on b2g.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

Kats

  • Oct 10 – Oct 17:

    • bug 799686 – make the about:memory file dump readable on android

    • bug 799476 – update MemoryObserver to reuse existing code (since regressed by bug 800486)
    • bug 792143 – turn unused tabs into zombies (pending review)
    • filed crash bugs 800935, 800944, and 801015 that i hit while trying to test bug 792143. argh!
    • bug 789923 – drop thumbnail data if disk space is running low
    • bug 799094 – make selection handles move properly when scrolling iframes (pending review)
    • bug 802495 – eliminate redundant LayerRenderer object created on startup
    • bug 802491 – fix leak of scrollbar layers’ direct-allocation buffers
    • bug 802640 – some minor refactoring patches (pending review)
    • looked briefly at bug 790102 – a talos failure that’s spiked in frequency recently
  • Next:

    • work on another readability prototype

    • bug 801818 – add a runtime API to find if we are on a low memory device
    • investigate startup memory usage on a faux-256m device since we can’t find any real ones
    • interviews

GBrown

  • Last week:

    • PTO
  • Next:
    • another look at bug 797942 LayerManagerOGL not correctly updated on SIZE_CHANGED

    • …since it seems to be causing bug 801627 Fullscreen Flash broken

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

  • Now/next

    • bug 802143 – ReusableTileStoreOGL miscalculates the content bounds

    • bug 800475 – Fade in new content tiles
    • bug 795259 – Enable progressive tile drawing by default on Android
  • Low priority/blocked

    • Blog about invalidation work

    • Invalidation bugs (finishing progressive tiles work first)
    • bug 785069 – tcheckerboard2 has regressed substantially since Jul 22nd
    • bug 792415 – Covered areas of fixed position elements are not rendered
    • bug 783914 – WEBGL_depth_texture doesn’t work using ANGLE (low priority)
    • bug 786412 – Consolidate ContainerLayer functions (waiting on nrc’s shadow layers work)

Chris Peterson

  • Done

    • bug 798517 – Typing in browser logs error messages about ‘JavaScript component does not have a method named: “handleEvent”‘

    • bug 798980 – [b2g] Crash when opening an inline Activity
    • bug 797225 – Add Stagefright software decoder fallback for hardware decoders that report unknown video color formats
  • Next

    • More B2G/Gaia bugs:

    • bug 785663 – When IME appears, focused input element should not be hidden by keyboard}}
    • bug 766066 – mozKeyboard.onfocuschange shouldn’t be raised when you are scrolling

jchen

  • Done

    • Joining Mozilla
  • Next

    • bug 795226 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoInputConnection$2.run(GeckoInputConnection.java)

    • bug 770291 – back spacing to delete a whole word in a text field deletes all but one word in the entire text field
    • bug 770291 – Holding backspace may delete text both in front of and behind the cursor
    • bug 769520 – Fix IME race conditions by ensuring Gecko callbacks post results to UI thread

GCP

  • Last week:

  • Next week:
    • IME and Tabs on tablet

    • bug 787318 Tabs thumbnails are not updated

Brian N

  • Done

    • Bug 800044 – Hide private browsing menu item

    • (in review) Bug 762155 – bookmark keywords do not work (search bookmark keywords do)
    • (in review) Bug 774304 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.MultiChoicePreference.onDialogClosed(MultiChoicePreference.java)
    • Bug 800238 – NPE when showing solicitation at startup
    • Bug 798280 – Save As PDF busted – (NS_ERROR_XPC_NOT_ENOUGH_ARGS @ nsIDownloadManager.addDownload)
    • Bug 800332 – Regression: Unable to open remote tabs
    • Bug 801675 – Unable to launch the Marketplace in the AboutHomePromoBox
    • Bug 800199 – Stub initial tab before Gecko starts
    • (in review) Bug 722661 – Stub restored tabs before Gecko starts
  • Next
    • Bug 784086 – Change DB schema to more closely resemble places

    • Private browsing bugs

Sriram

WesJ

Last week:

  • Bug 695407 – Modifier keys (e.g. shiftKey) always false for touch events (e.g. touchstart)

  • Bug 787765 – Retheme about:home thumbnails
  • Bug 744961 – Add some form of history expiration
  • Security bugs

This week:

  • Finish up tests for expiration

  • Follow ups to thumbnail change
  • Packaged apps

LucasR

Last week

Next week

  • bug 800883 – Quick tap on tab row might leave it in pressed state

  • bug 785945 – Awesomescreen entries are very slow to appear

Margaret

  • Currently working on crash reporting UI for b2g – tracking bug is bug 761905

  • PTO Friday (and maybe Monday)

Scott (jwir3)

Finished:

  • bug 794492 : Changed settings string for reflow on zoom to make it more clear

  • bug 784375 : Add preference to limit max ratio for font inflation (finished, but hasn’t landed yet)

In Progress:

  • bug 800805 : Reflow-on-zoom snaps to wrong area of page on zoom

  • bug 797002 : Uninitialized value error in InflationMinFontSizeFor()
  • bug 792420 : Toolbar menu should not be selectable

Other:

  • Will be in Vancouver Nov. 11 – Nov. 17 for layout/graphics/video work week.

BLassey

This week

  • In Toronto

  • bug 802616 – don’t use software floating point math on ARMv6
  • bug 739542 – Disable screen timeout when playing HTML5 (webm, H.264)
  • investigating iOS support options
  • put together builds for UX to test shipping fonts in the product

next week

  • catch up on reviews

  • bug 739542 – Disable screen timeout when playing HTML5 (webm, H.264)

MFinkle

Done:

Next:

  • Might be back out in MV Nov 5th

Larissa Co

Security/MGoodwin

  • Secreview for snippets today

  • Secreview for Private Browsing on Monday

Round Table

SUMO

Release
Firefox Ratings on Google Play:

5 star -> 61,688

4 star -> 21,656

3 star -> 13,889

2 star -> 9,053

1 star -> 14,246

Overall rating: 3.89

Google Play Reviews Trending up much higher after the release of 16.0.1 when compared to previous releases. This is directly due to Feedback Solicitation, which in turn is directing many more users to Input.

Trending Topics:

There are a few issues that a lot of users are running into on Release:

  • Two Backspaces deletes almost all content in Text Area bug 792928.

  • Droid RAZR is crashing a lot with 16.0.1, this wasn’t seen in Beta (top Crashing Device in Beta 16 was Nexus 7, Droid RAZR crashes about the same as Nexus 7 on Release). bug 800569
  • Make our UI easier for users! Accessing Bookmarks and the Clear History Dialog are the two hardest UI pieces for users to find/use. bug 802201 and bug 795331
  • Website issues showing up in Release: bug 793216, bug 789872

Good Points:

  • Performance. While user complaints of Crashes and Freezes seem to be up somewhat, User praise of speed/performance are also up!

  • Reader Mode, We’ve seen no negative feedback on Reader, only Neutral to Positive.

Beta

Beta Feedback Summary will show up here and in your inbox later today.

Discussions

  • (kats) what’s the deal with the social API? is that touching mobile at all?

  • (bajaj) http://bit.ly/RCRVuF (Tracking 17+ and not fixed )
  • (bajaj) http://bit.ly/TuVmTO (Tracking 18+ and needs action )

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room
Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress