Meeting Notes

20-December-2012

Mobile: 2012-12-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule

  • Next merge is Week of 2013-01-06

  • Fx18 Betas are shipping weekly

Major Topics for This Week

Android x86 Builds
We hinted that we were close. Now, thanks to kmoir, we have Android x86 on tbpl and nightlties. Brad is making sure the details (updates and testing plans) are ready before doing the next update post.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • [Bug 800838] Android crash in nsNPAPIPluginInstance::UnscheduleTimer @ nsNPAPIPluginInstance::TimerWithID

  • [Bug 821777] Populate flash version in telemetry data
  • [Bug 809055] Moving Firefox to background while playing a flash video in full screen mode and bring it back to view will freeze the app
  • Worked on a patch to make pausing compositor not block gecko thread
  • Investigate benchmarketing stuff (cross-browser benchmarks)

Kats

  • Dec 12 – Dec 19:

    • bug 780831 – land patch for flash crashes

    • bug 818060 – add a memory reporter for graphics tiling textures
    • bug 820545 – investigate safebrowsing-related stuff in about:rights and update comment
    • bug 821224 – fix a crash caused by improper bitmap recycling
    • bug 816164 – gzip the crash report submission
    • bug 816551 – fix JS warning on startup
    • bug 817134 – delete screenshot code
    • bug 818676 – verify NDK r8c can be used to build android on build machines
    • figured out how to run new DMD on android (filled in https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance/MemShrink/DMD)
    • filed bug 822810 about strange behaviour observed with low-res tiling and painting (blocking gfx memory reductions)
    • bug 822698 – fix DMD compilation on android with gcc 4.6
  • Next:

    • upload my armv6 memory usage data to AWSY

    • bug 807104 – turn on jsloader.reuseGlobal in fennec

GBrown

Chris Peterson

  • More B2G

JChen

  • Past week:

    • Fixed bug 818715 – Moving cursor handle in input field causes keyboard to lock up

    • Fixed bug 810821 – Tapping on url bar with Samsung Galaxy Note’s II stylus doesn’t have url text selected
    • Fixed bug 821229 – The virtual keyboard is dismissed on first match when using Find in Page
    • Investigated bug 820750 – Intermittent test_bug430276.html | application crashed
    • Continued work and blog post on bug 818301 – make JimDB work with C++ unit tests
    • Interest in bug 809018 – DateTimePicker does not have 12 hour mode
  • Next:
    • More work on bug 818301 – make JimDB work with C++ unit tests

      • And bug 822786 – make JimDB work with remote mochitests
    • bug 822755 – ANR when GeckoEditable responds to stale actions
    • bug 814689 – Typing is not working for full flash sites
    • bug 821257 – Typing 1 character in google search will insert 2 characters
    • bug 809329 – Duplicate letters when Xperia pro keyboard has suggestions
    • bug 816486 – First letter is capitalized in the URL bar when using Swype Keyboard on LG Slider

Brian N

  • Done

    • Bug 795045 – Confine cursor positioning thumb control to edit box
  • Now
    • Bug 820491 – PBM – Unable to initiate a download in Private Browsing mode
  • Next
    • Thumb positioning follow-ups

    • Bug 816998 – Clipboard buffer contains copied link from a Private Tab outside of Private Browsing

Sriram

  • Done:

    • LayerDrawable mutations causing problems in 4.2.1 – bug 821453

    • Enhancing tabs-tray to show different sections – bug 817706
    • about:home text color change based on persona theme – bug 822421
    • Firefox wordmark should be white on dark themes – bug 822422
    • Search suggestion text illegible – bug 821311
    • Personas not applied – bug 822133
    • Uplifting persona based patches to aurora.
  • Blockers:
    • Polished visual designs for new tabs-tray.

    • Decision on selection color to be something other than orange.

WesJ

‘Last week’

  • Bug 822926 – Allow extensions to add custom panes to the Awesomescreen. WIP up. Any ideas or feedback are welcome.

  • Bug 681805 – [TABLETUI] Hide forward button when there is not forward shistory… landed
  • Bug 818494 – Swipe to close tab action is sensitive
  • Bug 736321 – Support HTML context menus – New patch up to support sub menus better
  • Bug 783312 – Make top sites customizable on about:home. Nother round of reviews. Lucasr is out for now so I’m pushing these to mfinkle now.

‘This week’

  • Bug 704229 – Add a full-screen button for HTML5 video (Fennec Native)

  • Bug 792077 – Fennec mulit-locale apk should contain only java, browser, and select toolkit strings
  • More fiddling with about:home
  • Helping with PointerEvents implementation

Margaret

Done:

  • Landed multi-touch keyboard patch – bug 806540

  • Interviews

Next:

  • More interviews

  • Continue to help with Gaia blockers
  • Reading Effective JavaScript by Dave Herman for fx-team reading group

Scott (jwir3)

Done:

  • bug 654352 : document.caretPositionFromPoint implementation (reviewed, just moving to WebIDL at Ms2ger’s request)

  • bug 821801 : Separate out ViewportInfo struct for better conditional detection of mobile sites.

In Progress:

  • bug 803719 : Reflow-on-zoom should zoom in and snap to a piece of text (required above bug 654352, just need to modify the patch to utilize it. Should be in review tomorrow)

  • bug 756518 : Modify conditional detection of mobile sites for font inflation (required above bug 821801).
  • bug 808173 : Make reflow-on-zoom disabled for non-text elements.
  • bug 757257 : Font inflation on ubi.com yielding unexpected results.

BLassey

Last week

  • didn’t actually land anything

  • worked on
    • Kindle Fire HD crashing on start up

    • packaging APKs inside APKs to handle scary permissions better
    • sorting out bug 683262

MFinkle

Fixed:

  • bug 820868 – Lightweight theme previews do not work on Firefox for Android, breaking the preview/install flow

  • bug 819554 – Disable warning for sms protocol
  • bug 820623 – Javascript warning on fennec startup (NativeWindow.menu.add)
  • bug 821840 – Fix redeclaration warning in SessionStore.js
  • bug 820658 – Private Browsing leaks history in SQLite’s Write-Ahead Log for tabs.db

Laned:

  • bug 715258 – Favicons are of low quality for local/internal pages

Looked at making pageloads faster:

  • Using performance mode content-sink preferences

  • Turning off throbber

(Neither was beneficial to any measurable degree)

Ian Barlow

  • Tab UI visual design / spec underway

  • Preparing some notes for a Font Licensing newsgroup discussion happening the new year.
  • Private browsing UX review
  • Starting to think about MWC
  • Working with Madhava on a UX Design Values deck

Gone next week, back Jan 2. Happy Holidays!

Round Table

SUMO Feedback

Google Play

5-Star: 103,968

4-Star: 29,430

3-Star: 15,883

2-Star: 9,881

1-Star: 16,022

Overall Rating: 4.12 Stars

There haven’t been any major issues cropping up over this week. We will be having our last report of the year rolling out this week, and the SUMO team will be back on board after Jan 2nd.


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2012-12-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Current Releases

  • Summary

    • All non-current versions of Silverlight will now be CTP blocklisted on Windows for Firefox 17 and up

    • All non-current versions of Adobe Reader will now be CTP blocklisted on Windows for Firefox 17 and up
    • Recent versions of Java (other than current) that have not already been softblocked will now be CTP blocklisted on all platforms

Beta (18)

  • Firefox 18 beta 4 went out the door last week

  • Firefox 18 beta 5 went to build yesterday and planned for Friday(Dec 21) release
  • Firefox 18 Beta 6 will go to build next Thursday(Dec 27), release Friday

  • We’ll evaluate b6 feedback the week of the 31st, and release FF18 the following Tuesday (1/8)
  • Plan to CTP block all non-current Flash versions before the end of January, now that bug 800018 and bug 810082 are fixed.

Firefox Mobile

Beta (18)

  • IME fix uplifted

Aurora (19)

  • IME fixes uplifted

  • Lightweight theme fixes uplifted

Nightly (20)

  • Plugin crashes fixed

  • Lots of IME fixes
  • Less painting during panning
  • Improved FPS during canvas drawing
  • Android x86 nightlies and tbpl
    • updates from 12/18 -> 12/19 didn’t work, we’re investigating

Firefox Metro

The Firefox Metro Wiki Knows All

  • Working on the remaining requirements for for the Elm -> mozilla-central merge; see platform meeting notes for details

  • Made a decision that we will not develop a shared profile solution for v1. We will instead work towards NextGen Sync as our solution.
  • UX team working on designs for bookmarking in Metro; for details see the UX notes.
  • Front-end team working on downloads; top sites; keyboard support; theme polish; browser-chrome tests and infrastructure.
  • Metro will not be riding the trains as standard Firefox does and will instead feel a lot like the Fennec re-write in the first half of 2012.
  • Will ensure we have a good switch for turning off the Metro half of the build so we don’t uplift something that’s not ready.
  • Will ensure PR gets a heads up on m-c landing so they can be prepared.

Add-on SDK

Release (1.12 -> Firefox 17, 18)

Stabilization (1.13 -> Firefox 18, 19)

Development (1.14 -> Firefox 19, 20)

  • SDK 1.12 has no major issues

  • good progress on landing plans
  • talking to UX/UR and considering strategies for the future of Testpilot, could have implicatins for mobile & Firefox OS as well.
  • SDK is adding an extra car to it’s train release schedule as well, next release is 1.13 on January 29th.

Feedback Summary

Desktop

We are monitoring CTP Feedback, so far little feedback has rolled in, but we expect that to change by end of day.

Mobile

Everything is running smoothly for Mobile, expect the last report of the year in your inboxes this week. We will resume your scheduled programming next year.

User-Experience

  • [desktop]

    • [misc]

    • [Australis] (Zhenshuo, Shorlander)
    • [Social API] (Boriss)
      • Reviewing new bugs for needed UI/mockup (see mockups)
    • [newtab2] (Boriss)
      • Connecting with stakeholders to identify requirements and solicit suggestions ahead of Q1 testing

      • Working on designs once users are logged in, connecting with Aaron on how more integrated user interaction would change New Tab behavior (see mockups)
      • Working on design document which outlines designs and testing plan (see document)
  • [webRTC] Working on design changes to notification UI to enable release for Firefox 19 (see mockups) (Boriss)
  • [metro] (yuan)

    • Find bar in metro theme landed on elm build – bug 774842

    • Local profile sharing (Bi-modal browser usage) on FX Metro is no longer on the beta road map. Refined user stories of bookmarks with Asa. (mtg notes)
    • Iterating the design of bookmark page that is optimized for local bookmarking, and also enables migration and sync use cases.
    • Some visual design for a Win8 classic UI http://shorlander.dropmark.com/96053 (shorlander)
  • [android] (ibarlow)

    • Tab UI visual design / spec underway

    • Preparing some notes for a Font Licensing newsgroup discussion happening the new year.
    • Private browsing UX review
    • Starting to think about MWC
  • [Behavioral Segmentation Study] (Lindsay, Bill, Leo)

    • blog post Distributed Qualitative Analysis for the Firefox Behavioral Segmentation Study (Bill Selman)

    • Work continues on analysis. We have developed five tentative user groups along a spectrum of behaviors, attributes, and motivations. We are in the process of validating them with our current data and among other observers. Soon, we will begin work on the quantitative study to validate our qualitative findings.
  • [other/future]

    • continuing to work on plan/priorities for 2013 (madhava)

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Marketing

Planned Communications:

  • Email: Firefox & You Newsletter (Dec. 19th)

  • Snippets: Facebook Messenger Snippets (light), Android snippets planned through December with 1/7 display rate

Other Projects:

  • MWC Preparation for Firefox for Android, Firefox Desktop, WebRTC, and Persona

  • 2013 planning including planned emails, engagement objectives, and 2013 goal development
  • EOY metrics reporting
  • Mobile: New Screenshots for Google Play (Ty already finished some, and they look great!)

PR

Actions this week

  • Johnath to fix template to put metro between desktop and mobile

    • Done!
  • Marco to set up meeting about release plan for Metro

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

19-December-2012

Firefox Status: 2012-12-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Major Topics for This Week

  • Work week

  • Mailing list
  • Holidays

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

gavin

This week
Next week
  • Working from New York

  • More planning/HR stuff

mak

Last week:

  • Bugs

    • bug 766799 – Redirects visits are not notified anymore through history observers

    • bug 821628 – xptcstubs_x86_64_darwin is wrongly converting some bool params
    • bug 791562 – crash in PlacesFolderConversion::AppendFolder (Protect bookmarks roots from being deleted through the API)
    • bug 820834 – Abstract about:home storage and make it async-ready
    • + 3 minor
  • Requests
    • bug 675902 – New Downloads view for Places Library

    • bug 822343 – Downloads view takes far too long to render
    • bug 812894 – Shorten time remaining strings and replace download rates per item
    • bug 817006 – “Remove from list” option in the panel is confusing
    • bug 699859 – Refactor nsContentPrefService.js to use async Storage
    • bug 813833 – Promise-based SQLite interface
    • + 5 minor

Next week:

  • Help finalizing the downloads panel feature for Firefox 20

  • Review async form history patches
  • More Places triage and regressions

enn

  • Bug 821283 – Bug with displaying arrow panels in some cases in right-to-left UI, checked in

  • Bug 798226 – rework arrow panel code to be simpler, checked in
  • Bug 566746 – change form fillin to be asynchronous, address comments, found more issues with unit tests, discovered that I also need to port some migration code.
  • Bug 809388 – investigated bug where popups/tooltips were not shrinking when they were sized larger than the screen and then smaller again.

ttaubert

Past week
  • Finding regression causes

  • Improved B2G keyboard performance
  • Introduced a nextpaint event to improve app <-> homescreen transitions
  • A couple of session store and private browsing reviews
This week
  • Finding new blockers to work on

  • Helping with existing blockers (stealing, improving STRs)
  • Think more about keyboard focus issues and touch events

dolske

  • Planning stuff for workweek, 2013 roadmap

  • Interview season appears to be in full swing
  • Discussions on WebRTC UI, XBL
  • Found some social/facebook bugs, bit of debugging for a DLBI regression.
  • Out sick a bit

mconley

Last Week:

  • Australis

    • Wrote a patch for bug 813802 which puts the tabs over the titlebar for restored windows on XP. Waiting for feedback.

    • Gave feedback on MattN’s lw-theme patch
  • Downloads View for Places (required for Downloads Panel)
    • Helped fix tests for Downloads View for Places, which has now landed (preffed off)

    • Profiled some performance issues
  • Downloads Panel
    • Come up with a draft patch to fix focus-ring appearance and behaviours (bug 819428

This Week:

  • Australis

  • Downloads View for Places
    • Theme-ing work (will likely require UX assistance)

    • General bug-fixing as we find them
  • Downloads Panel:
    • Get bug 819428 in a review-able state

    • Ensure we disable this in Aurora before uplift.

Blockers:

MattN

(no audio)

Last week

  • Australis

    • lightweight theme patch uploaded

    • waiting for review on base patch for Windows
    • talked to perf team

This week

  • More tab follow-ups

  • In Canada

jaws

Last week

This week

Blockers

  • None

UX!

lco

madhava

  • planning for next year’s priorities and roadmap

  • some FHR facilitating
  • there’s some First-Run Experience cross-team discussion happening; more in the new year

zhenshuo

boriss

  • Working on design changes to notification UI in WebRT to enable release for Firefox 19

  • Planning for Q1 New Tab Work: working on design document, meeting with stakeholders
  • Working on social API bugs, incl. multi-provider plan for 19 & beyond
  • Technically PTO Thursday & Friday, but will be reachable and may work if needed

yuan

  • Local profile sharing (Bi-modal browser usage) on FX Metro is no longer on the beta road map. Still refining the strategy of handling sync service between classic and metro mode. Customized first-run experience for Metro will be needed.

  • Refining user flows and stories for local bookmarking and desktop sync w Asa.

shorlander

Out last week at a visual design meetup

This week working on:

  • Download Manager:

    • Final icons

    • Looking at Download Library View theme
  • Flash hang UI
  • WebRTC Icons
  • Trying to organize and finish remaining Australis designs (e.g. menu panel, customization visuals, Windows 8 classic stuff, incontent stuff)
  • Other Stuff:
    • Metro

    • DevTools

Round Table


Details

  • Tuesdays – 10:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Eastern, 17:00 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 91337
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 91337

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 91337
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 91337
  • irc.mozilla.org #fx-team for backchannel
  • “Firefox” Vidyo Room

Mozilla Platform: 2012-12-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Notices/Schedule

  • Firefox 18 beta 4 went out the door last week

  • Firefox 18 beta 5 will go to build today, be released Friday (get your landings in asap)
  • CTP blocks for recent un-blocked versions of Reader/Java/Silverlight going out today (congrats!)
  • Firefox 18 Beta 6 will go to build next Thursday, release Friday
  • We’ll evaluate b6 feedback the week of the 31st, and release the following Tuesday (1/8)
26 bugs (27) 39 bugs (42)
Unresolved Aurora Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta Trackers (non-security)

Key Issues

Actions Last Week

Issues

Actions

Roundtable

  • 2013 Platform Goals

  • Meeting Survey Results & Actions
    • Survey Results

      • Overall rating 6/10

      • 93% learned something unexpected
      • General agreement orienting around products is more useful
      • General agreement monthly updates on certain topics are useful
      • General agreement calling attention to key issues helps
      • Sentiment that Metro, Snappy should have less frequent updates
      • Sentiment that Memshrink should have more frequent updates
      • Sentiment that Dev Tools should have its own section
    • Proposed/Possible Changes
      • Put the surprising info and actions first (starting today)

      • Add DevTools back (discuss)
      • Make Snappy, Metro, Memshrink changes (discuss)
        • njn publishes a detailed report of MemShrink activity every two weeks. We can post a summary here every two weeks if people think that would be useful. https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/
      • Written only status updates for platforms, other pieces (discuss)
  • Android x86 build support live (no tests yet). Kudos to kmoir. If you see problems, do not hide, please file bugs in mozilla.org:ReleaseEngineering.
  • Android NDK upgrade coming
  • 4 new rentable branches: https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseEngineering/DisposableProjectBranches#BOOKING_SCHEDULE
  • No meeting next 2 weeks

Products/Projects

Firefox OS

  • blocking-basecamp. This will only be used up until v1.0 CS (hopefully 1/15), and will ultimately only include those bugs that require Mozilla engineering action prior to v1.0 CS.

  • blocking-b2g. This flag is meant to track groups of partner work, without specifying a targeted version. Example values would tef+ for critical issues found after we’ve deprecated blocking-basecamp, or shira+ for issues blocking a partner’s required features.
  • tracking-b2g18. This flag is used similarly to tracking-esr17 and is meant to specifically track major stability/security/usability that we’d like to fix int he v1x timeframe. The value can either be set to + (generically tracked) or for a specific 6-week cycle (19+, 20+, etc.). It’s been proposed that tracking-b2g-v1x may be a better flag, as it pertains to both Gecko and Gaia.
  • status-b2g18. This flag is used similarly to status-esr17 and is meant to track whether a fix has been landed on v1x release branches. It’s been proposed that status-b2g-v1x may be a better flag, as it pertains to both Gecko and Gaia.

Firefox Desktop

Per-window private browsing
  • on at last in Nightly. Great efforts by ehsan, jdm, folks from Appcoast, and many others.
New “Downloads” view
  • Also landed (bug 675902)! It’s an important piece of the new downloads UI. Still many performance and polish issues to sort out.
Social multi-provider
  • Landed last week (bug 809694)! UX issues and some implementation details to sort out, and still no built-in second provider to test with, but if you’re interested in manually adding some for testing, find us on #socialdev.
Mixed content UI
  • Work is in progress, tracking bug is bug 815321. Various backend/frontend pieces in active development, UI design is also in progress.
Profiler
  • First cut at a webdev-focused frontend landed on mozilla-central. bug 795268

  • Please file bugs in Firefox :: Developer Tools.

Firefox Mobile

x86 Builds are Official!
Memory, Responsiveness, Usability
  • To reduce memory in our gfx code, let us first improve our visibility into where we are using memory: bug 818060 – Add a memory reporter for graphics textures
Stability Wins
  • bug 816164 – gzip-compress crash report submission on Android

  • bug 800838 – Android crash in nsNPAPIPluginInstance::UnscheduleTimer @ nsNPAPIPluginInstance::TimerWithID, Fixed for Fx17
  • bug 780831 – crash in libdvm.so@0x45… on JB, Uplifted to Fx18
Developer life quality
  • bug 811411 -Unit test support (motivated by WebRTC team’s need)

  • bug 820546 – eliminated unnecessary p of browser chrome files
  • bug 818301 – make JimDB work with C++ unit tests
In progress/under investigation
  • bug 786996 – Content of Flash plugin is first displayed upside down

Metro [Weekly]

Elm to mc merge
  • bug new-packager pretty much done, needs more tests, reviews, and testing.

  • bug metro-build pretty much done. needs reviews on remaining blockers.
  • bug elm-merge still work to do here: localization issues with metrofx, sec review, landing the rest of the metro code bits that haven’t landed already. Remaining patches here can’t land until after bug metro-build is on mc.
  • Note – test plugin is moving out of (gre)/plugins to (dist)/plugins in bug 817881
  • 0 bugs blocking (-7) bug metro-build w/work TBD
  • 5 bugs blocking (+0) bug elm-merge w/work TBD
Rel-eng
  • Planning to switch mc to the 8.0 sdk after the next merge on ~2013-01-06 bug 774910
Front-end

Stability Report [Weekly]

  • We don’t have statistics for yesterday’s crash data yet, working with the Socorro team to fix that.

    • Backfill in process bug 822724. Intermittent repeated issues on Socorro over the last two weeks, root cause still being investigated bug 819881
  • We had a number of regressions on trunk in the last week, but it looks like all the bad things have been fixed right now.
  • bug 819028 – crash in the D3D11 DLL shipped with IE10 preview for Win7, needs investigation
  • bug 822438 – JS crash on the largest Polish portal, needs help

Mobile

  • bug 780831 – crash in libdvm.so@0x45… on JB

    • needs push to beta and then tested on beta

B2G

  • bug 821353 Corrupt stacks from B2G reports – we now know the cause, solution is being worked on.

  • bug 821498 Is on file for pending reports

Snappy [Weekly]

Startup & Shutdown
  • Thanks to BenWa, we no longer nuke cross compartment wrapper on shutdown, which should save 200ms+ on shutdown (bug 818296)

  • Aaron added readahead for safebrowsing .sbstore files, which shows ~50ms improvement on his laptop, probably even more in other environments (bug 810101)
  • Rafael moved Telemetry shutdown time probe off of the main thread (bug 815709)
  • Vladan is looking into why we have added a gradual 30% regression in start-up times over the past year (bug 818257)
Tab Strip
  • Vlad made a huge improvement o animation timing and now it’s mostly achieving 60 fps on slow machines (bug 731974)

  • James Abbatiello (a new contributor) created a tab switch timing add-on. Details in bug 812381
Content
  • Vlad plans to move local storage writes off the main thread this week (bug 807021)

    • Honza is continuing the work on local storage in bug 600307

Critsmash [3rd Tuesday of Month]

  • Really great recent critical security bug activity; thank you!

  • Big push in 2013. Teams are adopting quarterly goals to limit the lifespan of high and critical security bugs.

Engineering Metrics


Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2012-12-1811:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room / SFO-Boardroom
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

18-December-2012

Mozilla Project: 2012-12-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

  • Théo Chevalier for some excellent work that he’s done on Telemetry

Upcoming Events

Wednesday, 19 December

There is a mobile meeting at 3pm pst https://etherpad.mozilla.org/mobile-2012-12-12

Thursday, 20 December

thursday is sumoday what means we are looking for as much help as possible to answer questions

Next Week

There will be no sumo and kb and mobile meeting due to the festive periods for the next 2 weeks

There will be no grow mozilla meeting due to the festive period

Product Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

  • Mozilla in 2012

  • Holy crap per-window private browsing!
  • Holy crap multi-provider support for SocialAPI!

Firefox Mobile

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

  • IME (text entry) fixes!

  • More private browsing fixes and UI tweaks
  • Testing lightweight themes via AMO
  • Android x86 nightlies are close

Firefox OS

Speaker Location: no audio

  • Continuing improvements in stability and performance.

  • Dogfooding devices sent out to first group of remote employees, feedback coming in.
  • In-office dogfooders: Bring your device in to get flashed to newer build. Seriously. Magical improvements.
  • By the numbers: http://people.mozilla.com/~dietrich/basecamp/counts.html

Speakers

Title Presenter Topic Media More Details
Lovebird Jono Xia Re-thinking email to be more people-centric and less message-centric. https://github.com/jonoxia/lovebird or email jono@fastmail.fm

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Marco Mucci Sheila Mooney Mountain View Toronto Engineering Project Management
Christopher Karlof Benjamin Adida Mountain View San Francisco Staff Software Engineer, Identity
Azita Rached Andreas Gal Mountain View Mountain View Research Engineering Manager

Roundtable

can we move to etherpad for the agendas if possible

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Engagement

PR

WebFWD

The deadline to apply to the next class (aka “WebFWD III”) is January 31! Please send interesting projects to http://webfwd.org/apply — thank you!

Foundation Updates


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600

13-December-2012

Mobile: 2012-12-12

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule

  • Next merge is Week of 2013-01-06

  • Fx18 Beta 3 shipped

Major Topics for This Week

\o/
Over 20 million total installs, >100K 5-star reviews and solid 4.1 rating. Yay team!

Tabs Tray UI Plans
We have a bunch of new work that will start on updating parts of the tabs tray UI on tablets and phones (bug 817675). The initial parts are tied into some of the Private Browsing work and will land on m-c as part of Fx20. Other parts will likely start work on a “twig” (cypress) and be merged back when it’s ready, which will likely be Fx21.

UI Overdraw Problems & Layout Complexity
Using some guidance from an Android dev, we are working on reducing “overdraw” in the UI. This should improve responsiveness and animation performance. We’ll also be taking this opportunity to try to simplify our layout complexity, which also adds to the responsiveness and animation problems.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • This week / Last week

    • Bugs (800838, 789271, 746998, 747323, 786996)

    • B2G profiling

Kats

  • Dec 5 – Dec 12

    • bug 780831 – (in progress) tracked down the problem with flash leaking local refs, working on fixes

    • started profiling galaxy q, had a few profiler fixes: https://github.com/bgirard/Gecko-Profiler-Addon/pull/37
    • bug 805353 – fix crash caused by improper synchronization
    • bug 820172 – fix android build when building with gcc 4.6
    • closed out bug 792144 after discussing with :dvander
    • bug 818060 – (in progress) adding a memory reporter for graphics textures
    • bug 816164 – (in progress) verified that the server-side changes are ok on staging server
    • bug 820556 – remove some dead gfx code
    • bug 820546 – don’t preprocess some files unnecessarily
  • Next

    • finish up bug 818060, bug 816164 and bug 780831

    • get back to profiling to find and eliminate jni-related locking on the compositor thread

GBrown

  • Last week:

    • Unit test support for webrtc: bug 811411

    • bug 780867 Intermittent robocop TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | testNewTab | Checking tab closed
    • bug 769524 Frequent robocop testSearchSuggestions | GeckoEventExpecter – blockForEvent timeout: SearchEngines:Data
    • bug 781581 Intermittent testWebContentContextMenu | checking that awesome bar clicked
    • bug 814278 Intermittent testThumbnails | Exception caught – java.lang.NullPointerException
    • bug 819093 make mochitest-remote via adb broken
    • bug 820322 Intermittent testHistoryTab | Exception caught – java.lang.NullPointerException
    • bug 820336 Intermittent testWebContentContextMenu | checking that painted surface loaded – under investigation
    • bug 770483 Intermittent Robocop testAboutPage | GeckoEventExpecter – blockForEvent timeout: Tab:Added – under investigation
  • Next:
    • Finish off unit test support for webrtc

    • Get back to robocop bugs

Chris Peterson

  • Ongoing B2G keyboard work

JChen

  • Past week:

    • Fixed bug 818501 – Some composition spans are not displayed

    • Added a test for bug 811755 – Holding backspace in a designMode editor repositions cursor
    • Fixed bug 819073 – Keyboard stops working after going back from Awesomescreen when “Don’t keep activities” is enabled
    • Worked on bug 810821 – Tapping on url bar with Samsung Galaxy Note’s II stylus doesn’t have url text selected
    • Worked on bug 818301 – make JimDB work with C++ unit tests
      • Also bug 819052 – JimDB not usable for C++ Android unit tests when invoked manually
  • Next:
    • More improvements to debugging C++ unit tests

    • bug 809329 – Duplicate letters when Xperia pro keyboard has suggestions
    • bug 815521 – SwiftKey colon long-press inserts colon and ‘b’ in URL bar for first instance of colon (“about:b”)
    • bug 818715 – Moving cursor handle in input field causes keyboard to lock up
    • bug 816486 – First letter is capitalized in the URL bar when using Swype Keyboard on LG Slider
    • bug 820750 – Intermittent test_bug430276.html | application crashed

GCP

Brian N

  • Done

    • Bug 769919 – Intermittent testBookmark | bookmarks list has 4 children (the default bookmarks) – got 5, expected 4

    • Bug 819070 – Going back from Awesomescreen opens additional tabs when “Don’t keep activities” is enabled
    • Bug 735399 – Only do session restore after a crash
    • Bug 801646 – PBM – Tab opened from other private browse tabs should become a private browse one
    • Bug 820576 – Search suggestion URLs should go directly to URL
  • Now/Next
    • Bug 818065 – PBM – Make an about:privatebrowsing page

    • Bug 795045 – Confine cursor positioning thumb control to edit box

Sriram

  • Refreshed the private browsing UI resources. bug 818071

  • Prototype for new tabs-tray complete. http://cl.ly/image/2Q1K1M3K1225
    • Blocked on UX designs.
  • Trying to figure out the personas problem in 4.2.1
    • A temporary solution is available — will post a patch today.
  • Next: Long list of persona related bugs for marketplace.

WesJ

  • Bug 809401 – Horoscopo app doesn’t scroll properly as an App

  • Investigated Bug 792077 – Fennec mulit-locale apk should contain only java, browser, and select toolkit strings. There is a startup slowdown with 42 locales in the apk.
  • Bug 816875 – Add a “show controls” context menu item on videos with hidden controls
  • Bug 808408 – Hide Virtual Keyboard when bookmarks list is opened

New patches in:

  • Bug 681805 – [TABLETUI] Hide forward button when there is not forward shistory…

  • Bug 783312 – Make top sites customizable on about:home

This week:

  • Bug 797615 – Intermittent testHistoryTab, testBookmark, testHistory | PaintExpecter – blockUtilClear timeout (x3)

LucasR

Last week

Next week

  • More New tab UI

Margaret

Scott (jwir3)

Last Week:

  • Got help from Cwiiis and snorp re: Mobile Debugging/List elements. Thanks guys! I have been planning to create a bug to make a more robust form of this, but haven’t yet created one.

  • Looking into some font inflation bugs, specifically ones that we might be able to knock out in the next week or so (bug 757257, etc.). This might work toward fixing the ycombinator bug, but I’m not 100% sure yet.

This Week:

  • bug 803719 : Reflow on zoom needs to zoom in and snap to a piece of text – I’m blocked with a strange issue where it’s not correctly identifying the DOMRange. I’ve been speaking with dbaron and blassey about this. I think that bug 654352 : Implement API for document.caretPositionFromPoint() will be of assistance here. I’m trying to get this resolved (there’s currently an issue with it, and it had to be backed out). I think that the reflow-on-zoom bugs and this bug will likely use the same code behind the scenes.

BLassey

Last week

  • all x86 all the time

Notes

  • Web compatibility

    • Please dig into failures you see

    • It is OKAY to fix a site or framework and submit a patch

MFinkle

Working on:

  • Disabling the Gecko prompt that appears after tapping a “sms:” so we go straight to the SMS app instead (bug 819554)

  • Fix a JS error in NativeWindow.menu.add API (bug 820623)
  • Skipping the “Allow” prompt when installing a lightweight theme (persona) from AMO (bug 820829)

Next Week:

  • PTO for Monday and Tuesday

Ian Barlow

Planning all the things \o/

  • MWC demo planning

  • “Save for later” project planning
  • “Multi-screen UX” project planning
  • Setting some Firstrun UX goals with creative, UX, SUMO
  • Brainstorming with UX team about WebRTC
  • Visual Design work week in Toronto
  • UX Team year in review session on friday

Also, Tab UI and PB UI

  • Private Browsing – ongoing polish we’d like to see in Fx20

    • bug 818071 Adjust title bar background to work with current icons and tab colour

    • bug 818072 Back and forward button enabled / disabled states look reversed (could be related to previous bug)
    • bug 818077 Avoid orange highlights when private browsing
    • bug 818065 Make an about:privatebrowsing page
    • bug 818067 Make entire awesomescreen dark when private browsing
  • Tab refinements – meta bug 817675

    • bug 817706 Add sections for normal, private and synced tabs

    • bug 817721 Place tab tray on top in tablet portrait view
    • bug 817728 Allow tab sidebar to be pinned open in landscape view
    • bug 817732 Apply large tablet UI to smaller tablets like the Nexus 7
    • bug 817735 Horizontal tab scrolling in landscape view for phones
    • bug 817749 Phone – adjust tab title bar to help differentiate main menu from tab menu
    • bug 818124 Create new tab transition (from tab tray)
    • bug 817716 Add ability to close all tabs
    • bug 817739 Add more information to synced tabs
    • bug 701725 Enable the ability to undo a closed tab
    • bug 718434 Visually denote new tabs that haven’t been visited yet

Round Table

QA

Channels

Crashes

SUMO Feedback

Welcome to Roland Tanglao, the new Firefox for Android support lead!

Input is still down for the count, we are monitoring feedback by hand. Unfortunately this doesn’t give us the ability to get as detailed reports as we’d like, but we haven’t seen major or new issues cropping up. Major complaints remain the same as before, UX issues around Privacy, bookmarks, history, etc. Users want to edit the start page or have their own home page. Noticing alot of feedback of users not wanting to use the mobile version of the site, unfortunately not all of it is linked to a device so can’t tell if it’s mainly tablets or not.

Google Play is still trending up significantly, awesome work everyone :)

5 star 100,585

4 star 28,812

3 star 15,766

2 star 9,826

1 star 15,912

ARMv6

Reading more feedback flowing in, feedback has slowed to a crawl. No new problem devices, overall our ARMv6 rollout seems to be successful. If you have further requests around ARMv6, please ping Tyler, otherwise, while we will continue to monitor ARMv6 feedback, we won’t specially focus on it until our next expansion.


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2012-12-12

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Actions from Last Week

  • Martin & Axel to come back with sorted l10n story on Metro

    • Not a complete story yet but being handled by Jim Mathies
  • Lawrence to run next week’s meeting

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Beta (18)

  • 18.0b3 was released Friday

  • 18.0b4 has already gone to build, is also planned for release on Friday
  • Click-To-Play blocking old versions of Adobe Reader, Silverlight, and Java early next week & Flash in the FF18 release timeframe considering bug 819992 was fixed in 18.0b4 build

Nightly (20)

  • Social multi-provider support has landed on trunk. We may uplift to Aurora, decision to be made this week. No other built-in providers yet, so there isn’t much to look at just quite yet.

  • Telemetry will be enabled-by-default on Nightly and Aurora next week.

Firefox Mobile

Beta (18)

  • 18.0b3 was released Friday

  • 18.0b4 has already gone to build, is also planned for release on Friday

Nightly (20)

  • IME fixes (looking to uplift)

  • More private browsing fixes and UI tweaks
  • Added some actions to the HTML video context menu
  • Testing lightweight themes via AMO (http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/personas)
  • Android x86 nightlies are close

Firefox Metro

  • First round of Download Manager work landed.

  • Simplified touch event handling landed, plus some follow-up work.
  • In progress: top site thumbnails; progress indicators; lots of UI polish
  • Working on Elm test failures for non-Windows platforms related to the app/gre split.
  • New packager should be on elm this week, may land on mc soonish.

Add-on SDK

Release (1.12 -> Firefox 17, 18)

Stabilization (1.13 -> Firefox 18, 19)

Development (1.14 -> Firefox 19, 20)

  • 1.12 released yesterday to much fanfare and includes some fantastic new features including better preferences widgetry, mobile support and a massive reorganization of the SDK file layout in preparation for landing in Firefox.

  • larch twig is ours and is now capable of producing experimental builds of Firefox that include the SDK
  • planning has started for a Roadmap that includes many exciting things, not all of which are properly fleshed out at the moment.

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Things have stabilized and we have no current explosive issues. We are digging deeply into Beta and Aurora prior to the holidays. Initial results show an overwhelmingly positive response to retina support.

Mobile

Stable, no explosive changes. We are seeing some of the same UX we saw before 17, but that is to be expected.

User-Experience (Design & Research)

  • will send out the update

Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team

Desktop / Platform

Android

Google

Opera

Microsoft

Maxthon

Security

  • Some Australian researchers have published a paper documenting how they took advantage of Amazon’s Silk browser to perform data analysis tasks. They warned that it would simple to use the same techniques to conduct denial-of-service attacks or crack passwords.

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Press

FirefoxOS Simulator 1.0 was released; Per-window private browsing mode lands in Nightly:

Actions this week


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

12-December-2012

Firefox Status: 2012-12-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Major Topics for This Week

  • Work week update

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

gavin

  • this week

    • social multi-provider review and iteration
  • next week
    • more work week planning
  • blockers: N/A

mak

Last week:

  • Bugs

    • bug 766799 – Redirects visits are not notified anymore through history observers

    • bug 791447 – Nightly 2012-09-14 resets all changes made to the new tab page
    • bug 817999 – remove DownloadMonitorPanel remnants
  • Requests
    • bug 550175 – Error: uncaught exception: [Exception… “Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIAutoCompleteController.handleDelete]

    • bug 699806 – Enable Telemetry by default on Nightly and Aurora channels (Desktop)
    • bug 699859 – (asyncContentPrefs) Refactor nsContentPrefService.js to use async Storage
    • bug 737600 – When telemetry is disabled in the pref pane, we should update toolkit.telemetry.rejected
    • bug 785487 – “Search service falling back to synchronous initialization” when about:home is loaded before the search bar initialization
    • bug 801232 – Support per-window private browsing in the Downloads Panel
    • bug 801450 – Can’t import bookmarks from Safari-created HTML files
    • bug 812894 – Shorten time remaining strings and replace download rates per item
    • bug 813833 – Promise-based SQLite interface
    • bug 814961 – The height of “+X other downloads” should be same as the “Show all downloads” item
    • bug 816254 – Add logging to Downloads Panel
    • bug 817584 – Replace descendent selectors with child selectors
    • bug 818724 – Replace gStartupRan with a private gBrowserInit property

This week:

  • Away 10-11 (Yes, I’m not here right now)

  • More reviews/feedback
  • bug 767939 – Editing a bookmark and changing URL drops tags (dataloss)
  • bug 748894 – Move the bookmark star button outside of the location bar (australis)

Blockers:

enn

  • Bugs 566746 and 697377, convert form and search history to be asynchronous, awaiting review.

  • Bug 798226, make arrow panel positioning code simpler, address comments and write test
  • Bug 815691, mousedown event not firing when a context menu is closed and another is reopened

mconley

Last week:

  • Downloads Panel:

    • Fixed (bug 814961)

    • Helped out with reviews and feedback on per-window private browsing (bug 801232).
    • Gave feedback on bug 675902 – really hoping this will land soon.
    • Started looking at focus ring behaviours, since we seem to have some platform inconsistencies here.
  • Australis Tabs

This week:

  • Australis Tabs

    • Finish up a patch for bug 813802, and un-block bug 813808

    • If I get those done, see what else MattN needs from me.
  • Downloads Panel

    • Resolve focus ring issues

    • Possibly help out with any polish required when bug 675902 lands

Blockers:

  • Nothing is blocking me.

MattN

Last week

  • New Australis tabs for Windows base patch

  • Investigated approaches for menubar in titlebar for australis
  • Review notification API
  • B2G dogfooding

Next week

  • Australis

    • LWT

    • Titlebar stuff
  • Reviews

jaws

  • Last week:

    • Patches reviewed:

      • bug 811247 – Create only one instance of each social ambient panel instead of one per window

      • bug 807997 – In content pages: No action performed when attempting to open a contact in Facebook sidebar
      • bug 763001 – Typo in layout/style/nsCSSPseudoClassList.h
      • bug 817790 – Stretched Facebook icon briefly shows over entire toolbar during window startup
      • bug 788368 – Port messages may be dropped if port is closed before other side connects
      • bug 558882 – Ship Readability in the browser
      • bug 809694 – multiprovider: toolkit patch
      • bug 818118 – click-to-play: pluginHost.getPermissionStringForType calls need to check if the mime type is a known plugin first
      • bug 818009 – “Unknown” plugin in CTP plugins list
      • bug 810082 – click-to-play: improve handling of invisible or hidden plugins (e.g. on music sites like Pandora)
    • Patches uploaded:
      • bug 814404 – [Mac OS] Missing Social menu item from Tools menu when focus is set to another Firefox window

      • bug 819992 – Click-to-Play doorhanger appearing on every page with Flash
    • Bugs filed:
      • bug 817726 – Combine “View Page Info” and “View Page Source” context menuitems
  • This week:

Round Table


Details

  • Tuesdays – 10:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Eastern, 17:00 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 91337
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 91337

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 91337
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 91337
  • irc.mozilla.org #fx-team for backchannel
  • “Firefox” Vidyo Room

SeaMonkey: 2012-12-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> mcsmurf

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • Ratty filed bug 803168 [Meta] Port Installer Changes from Firefox as at 2012/10. Hopes people will help with some of the referenced bugs.

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • Intermittent issue with Mac OSX64 Debug Leak log comprehension. Issue tracked in bug 774844 and bug 811199 (Port |bug 794510 Build with NO_NSPR_10_SUPPORT| to SeaMonkey). Also see possibly related Thunderbird bug 806492.

  • All our machines are now at SCL3 or SCL1.
    • The remaining machines on Parallels are the buildmaster (cb-seamonkey-linuxmaster-01) and Linux64 (cb-seamonkey-linux64-01). These need to be migrated to ESX. Specifically:

      • sea-vm-linux64-1 will replace cb-seamonkey-linux64-01.

      • sea-master1 will replace the current buildmaster.
    • bug 740633 set up seamonkey HPs in scl3. Hardware installed and iLO configured. CentOS 6.3 installed. sea-puppet is online. Callek to set the host up as a puppet master.
  • bug 817504 Update Python on buildslaves to Python 2.7 as Python 2.7 will be required soon

Release Train

  • 2.14.1 shipped November 30

  • 2.15b2 shipped December 3
  • 2.15b3 shipped December 7

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.

  • Addon Compatibility Listings
    • Extensions are now compatible by default thus mitigating the issue. Although some people still disable c-b-d and run into issues.

    • Nothing to highlight.
  • Our build team (Callek, ewong, Serge) needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. bug 763506
    • sgautherie thinks that the current DOMi branches/tags are not suitable for automatic SeaMonkey branch selection.

    • Need some traction on this. IanN spoke to Serge at MozCampEU. Serge is waiting for Callek/ewong to agree what needs to happen and to say what is workable or not.
    • In the past Serge often pushed this forward for us. But with Serge on a sabbatical, Ewong thinks he should talk to Callek in getting this automated.
    • For 2.15, compat bumps were done as lined out in bug 808426.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • 2.14 had ~75,300 ADU by last Tuesday and 2.14.1 has had ~36,700 downloads so far.

    • Of the released versions, as of last Tuesday, we have 9.7% on 2.0, 2.8% on 2.1-2.3, 3.4% on 2.4-2.6, 5.2% on 2.7-2.9, 10.1% on 2.10-2.12, 15.1% on 2.13 and 68.8% on 2.14. So, in the last two weeks, there has been a ~0.7k (0.5% of ADU) decrease in those using 2.7 or above.

    • Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.). This even more applies to 2.10 which dropped support for Win2k and WinXP without SP2, and 2.14 dropping Mac OS X 10.5 support.
    • We now have a webpage for latest builds available for “Legacy Platforms” like PPC (bug 759315)
  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.14

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (15)

  • One tracked 2.5 issue still open.

    • 2.1 through 2.7 have NOT included the ka (Kartvelian aka Georgian) locale. The last release with ka locale shipped was 2.0.14. The ka l10n maintainer has made some recent updates but;

    • Callek thinks we should remove ka, unless we can get commitment from the ka person to actually update things himself instead of dumping tarballs on us and expecting us to check it in for him. Tracked in bug 667147.
  • SeaMonkey 2.14 Release Notes

2.Next

  • InvisibleSmiley would like to highlight bug 815012 (Mail messages corrupt after running filters) which he personally experienced and added to the Release Notes of both 2.14 and 2.15. It’s probably a quite serious dataloss bug, but no progress there.

  • InvisibleSmiley would like to ask all contributors who set bugs to FIXED to also set the Target Milestone (TM) to the current trunk version at the same time if a patch was landed. See public Bugzilla saved search “SM fixed w/o TM” for recent bugs that have TM = —.
  • Current breakages:
    • TBD
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 737615 Remove use of synchronous cache API from unit tests. Tracked in:
      • bug 804972 Remove synchronous calls to nsICacheSession::openCacheEntry in SeaMonkey tests.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
      • bug 795354 Migrate SeaMonkey Linux builders to CentOS 6.

      • bug 794772 Port |Bug 713802 – Build with GIO support (and drop GnomeVFS)|
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above.
    • bug 800018 Click-to-play is broken on various websites like cnn.com or latimes.com (2nd round) (affects click-to-play in SeaMonkey)
      • bug 813963 Port |Bug 800018 – Click-to-play is broken on various websites like cnn.com or latimes.com (2nd round)| to SeaMonkey FIXED
    • bug 804865 Require Python 2.7 to build the tree. Tracked in:
      • bug 817504 update all SeaMonkey slaves to use python 2.7.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 41 new, 16 fixed, 18 triaged.

  • Low triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
24 review
7 super-review
1 ui-review
9 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.

    • Out of sight out of mind. The trouble with shuffling this off to another page makes these issues less discoverable. Ratty suggests featuring one or more bugs from that page at each meeting.
  • Featured helpwanted bugs:
    • bug 654009 Reply to list: automatically determine From: address. This involves porting bug 45715 “Reply to List” [button/(context) menu item]

      • Mostly fixed. Do we still need a separate button?

        • Meeting has decided: No. Bug taken off the feature list page
    • bug 664309 Make the built-in ChatZilla display a cZ icon in SeaMonkey.

Good First Bugs

  • Note: The GFB list is open to all including our regular contributors.

  • Ratty is working on an updated GFB list, suggestions welcome.
  • New GFBs recently added:
    • bug 815820 Fix SeaMonkey 2.14 README on ftp server on how to get the source code

    • bug 814739 rename gMsgCompose in addressbook-panel.js to something unique.
    • bug 812050 [modern] some dialog boxes clipped at the bottom. Need to add commonDialog.css to Modern.
  • Currently there are 28 GFBs open, 3 are being actively worked on. bug 735333 needs some help getting this running on the try-server.
  • List of Open mentored bugs.
    • Ratty notes that there are 24 bugs that are GFBs but without the mentor keyword. These need to be audited to see if they are really suitable as GFBs.
  • In the last two weeks since the previous meeting:
    • bug 795158 Switch to Services.jsm: /editor/ui/ -> is being worked on

    • bug 735333 Use Services.prefs instead of preferences-service / gPrefService, in SeaMonkey code -> patches are currently tested by Frank Wein locally on his own PC
  • Mentors of stalled bugs should try to communicate with the assignees and if they can’t work on them any more to unassign/free up those bugs.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Callek

Fixed:

Working on:

  • bug 740633 set up seamonkey HPs in scl3 (:dustin and Callek).

  • bug 809404 Configuring libffi ignores CC/CXX from mozconfig and picks up the system compiler.
  • bug 812981 Put up snippets for linux64 minor and major updates to SeaMonkey 2.14.0 and Beta to SeaMonkey 2.14b5.
  • bug 817383 SeaMonkey needs new (public) GPG key, in order to support signing releases properly.
  • bug 817504 update all SeaMonkey slaves to use python 2.7.
  • bug 820250 Add SeaMonkey 2.15 Beta 4 to bouncer.

Other activities:

  • Did some reviews and approvals.

  • Engaged in release engineering and SeaMonkey driver discussions.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 791273 – nsSuiteGlue does unnecessary work when there are no new add-ons installed (Port Bug 727637).
  • Review:

    • bug 739056 – Port |Bug 715099 – Convert nsProfileMigrator to JS so we can use JS modules on migration| to SeaMonkey

    • bug 768380 – sea-vm-linux64-1 need to set up for our builds.
    • bug 774991 – stop support OSX 10.5 in SeaMonkey
    • bug 813844 – Port confvars.sh changes from Bug 718067 and package.manifest.in changes from Bug 808219 (Firefox Health Reporter service)

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
  • Waiting for review:
  • Waiting for feedback:
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
  • Reviewed and waiting for other patches before checkin:
  • Reviewed and waiting for feedback from mobile peer:
    • bug 689253 Add en-GB locale to Firefox for Android
  • Working on:
    • Various SM Council documents.

    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

InvisibleSmiley

mcsmurf

Fixed:

  • bug 792899 docshell/test/chrome/test_bug789773.xul introduced in bug 789773 uses about:home which SeaMonkey doesn’t have.

  • bug 814967 SeaMonkey trunk build failure (nsIMsgDatabase.idl).

Working on:

  • bug 774296 [SeaMonkey] “test_browserGlue_smartBookmarks.js | 6 == 5″.

  • bug 819715 [SeaMonkey] browser_dataman_basics.js | The correct number of domains is listed – Got 7, expected 18.
  • bug 820308 [SeaMonkey] Test test_browserGlue_corrupt_nobackup.js times out

Mnyromyr

Fixed bug 127399 Allow sending emails with IDN based email addresses.

Neil

Fixed:

  • bug 813963 Port |bug 800018 Click-to-play is broken on various websites like cnn.com or latimes.com (2nd round)| to SeaMonkey.

Working on:

  • bug 801287 Loading URL by pressing ENTER on already present URL in location bar doesn’t maintain URL encoding (Port bug 461304).

  • bug 817441 Turn SSL-related warning prompts into notifications.
  • bug 818861 Shouldn’t be able to promise a flat string from a flat string [Core].
  • bug 819154 Clean up string usage in Android Bridge [Core].
  • bug 819160 j/k keys are the wrong way around [Web Tools].
  • bug 819165 j/k/n/p should focus link [Web Tools].
  • bug 819798 Element.setAttribute(attr, null); now sets the attribute to the string “null” instead of the empty string.

Ratty

Fixed:

  • bug 812898 Implement plugin preview overlay from bug 776208.

  • bug 815127 Sanitizer: Clear Private Data should clear search bar and find bar data.
  • bug 818017 Sync changes in global/alerts/alert.css from Toolkit (Adjust styling of nsIAlertService alert windows).

Working on:

  • bug 404580 Provide information like preview text, subject and sender in mail notification window – as in Thunderbird.

  • bug 477718 Implement Phishing Protection (a.k.a. Safe Browsing) support in SeaMonkey.

Other:

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.

  • End user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

Any other business?

  • Safe browsing API (Google)

  • Test failures
    • qawanted, especially on Linux and MacOSX specific issues: reproducing and reporting would already help.

    • Serge says that on Linux and MacOSX, he just needs someone to actually run the tests and report what they see (screen, console, etc). For example, there is a Mac test about Ctrl+W not working. This should be so trivial.
    • Tonymec suggests that any enthusiastic user, even non-technical, should be able to do some testing (litmus?) and not be scared by technical language and such.
    • IanN suggests reaching out to the user community using the newsgroups and forums.
    • Ratty to liaise with Serge when he gets back on doing a write up how the community can help us with this.

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2012-12-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Notices/Schedule

27 bugs (30) 42 bugs (58)
Unresolved Aurora Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta Trackers (non-security)
  • Firefox 18.0 beta 4 is going to build today. No more speculative fixes.

Products/Projects

Firefox OS

QA

Firefox Desktop

Social
  • Multi-provider support landed on inbound last night. Keep an eye out for any related issues in tomorrow’s Nightly. We’re going to see what the feedback is like before considering an uplift to Aurora 19.
Download Panel
  • Much of the work is complete, still some polish bugs to sort out. Primary remaining blocker is the new library downloads view, the team is on it.
Performance
  • bug 760036 bounced because of mobile issues (underlying bug seems to be bug 772672). We’ll need a workaround for mobile if fixing that bug can’t happen soon.
Per-window private browsing
  • bug 818732 per-window private browsing is almost here. Please help us test this when it gets turned on (will be in a few days.)

Firefox Mobile

Responsiveness and Usability
  • bug 811825 : Reflow on zoom should have no effect on constrained height frames.
Stability Wins
  • bug 735399 – Only do session restore after a crash

  • bug 816902 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.AllPagesTab.setSuggestionsEnabled(AllPagesTab.java)
  • bug 812867 – java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: width must be > 0 at android.graphics.Bitmap.checkWidthHeight(Bitmap.java)
  • java.lang.NullPointerException: Layout parameters cannot be null at android.view.View.setLayoutParams(View.java)
In Progress

Metro [Weekly]

Elm to mc merge
  • Working on Elm test failures for non-Windows platforms related to the app/gre split.

  • New packager should be on elm this week, may land on mc soonish.
  • 7 bugs blocking (+2) bug metro-build w/work TBD
  • 5 bugs blocking (+3) bug elm-merge w/work TBD
Rel-eng
  • Planning to switch mc to the 8.0 sdk after the next merge on ~2013-01-06 bug 774910
Front-end
  • First round of Download Manager work landed.

  • Simplified touch event handling landed, plus some follow-up work.
  • In progress: top site thumbnails; progress indicators; lots of UI polish

Stability Report [Weekly]

  • js::GCMarker::processMarkStackTop is a top signature everywhere, has bug 719114, bug 803018, and bug 817342 filed, would really need some investigation to get progress. We know GC crashes are a hard case, but we can’t just ignore 3-5% of our crashes forever.

  • bug 812319 and bug 572011 are crashes related with the fully-JS Yandex Bar add-on, so this (in and aorund Russia) popular extension probably triggers problem in our own code. We need investigation of those.
  • bug 799118 and bug 790473 are two more JS crashes that have been spiking on trunk and need investigation.

Mobile

QA investigation help needed… Can any dev can give some ideas?:

  • bug 780831 (JB crash in dvm) is still the #1 issue on beta and rising on release, STR would be good, but we have progress on it now.

  • bug 782223 (JB crash in tegra libs, mostly Nexus 7) is high on beta as well, also needs STR.

B2G

  • bug 817946 – We seem to corrupt memory somewhere, which leads to pretty useless stacks in crash reports

    • any leads on this would be great
  • bug 814078 – Submitting all pending crashes – just landed on trunk, waiting for getting onto beta
  • nhirata and marcia working on end to end crash reporting – they will have info by 12/14.

Snappy [Weekly]

Start-up & Shutdown
Tab Strip
  • Vlad measured significantly reduced FPS rates during Australis tab animations that is particularly noticeable on weak hardware. Details in bug 738491#c76. More investigation and recommendations for the implementers coming.
Content
  • Paulo removed downloads from the main thread (bug 789932)

  • Ben Smedberg and Aaron Klotz are looking at detaching the input queue of the main Firefox thread from the plugin-container main thread (Win32). This would address a type of plug-in hang that falls outside the scope of our plug-in hang detection code. (bug 818059)
  • Progress on moving local storage off the main thread (bug 807021, bug 600307)

Mobile Web Compat [2nd Tuesday of Month]

Recent updates
B2G
Broken site deep dive investigation
  • Josh Matthews and John Schoenick completed a investigation into why a specific set of sites are broken on Gecko. The goal was to better understand which Webkit CSS and DOM properties are causing breakage. See John’s summary in bug 811421#c8.

Critsmash [3rd Tuesday of Month]

  • Great work from Ted (etc) getting auto exploit analysis landed.

Key Issues

Actions Last Week

Issues

  • Win64 builds (bsmedberg)

  • Future Issues – early discussion on dev-platform, monitoring for discussion if not resolved
    • MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS removal
  • Linux32 tests (catlee/joduinn)
  • Not shipping new prefixed non-WebGL, non-WebRTC APIs on the release channel. (hsivonen)

Roundtable

  • bug 770844 : Consider putting indexedDB on the window object itself, not on Window.prototype – bajaj
  • Can I ask what would the chances of moving the agenda to etherpad – satdav

    • Probably low, until/unless there’s a demonstrated need for that change. – dholbert

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2012-12-1111:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 95312
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 95312

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312
  • Warp Core Vidyo Room / SFO-Boardroom
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress