Meeting Notes

30-April-2013

Firefox Status: 2013-04-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Round Table

  • work week update

Friends of the Firefox team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

gavin

past week
  • met with greg/bwinton/dolske about plans for test pilot

  • met with jedp and dolske to sort out some details of his native identity integration patch
  • interviewed a new candidate and did some other hiring stuff
  • work week planning
  • patched bug 493051 (search service addEngine API changes)
  • wrote a patch for bug 853071 (adding build-time defines for various stages in the release cycle)
  • reviewed an e10s patch (bug 697319)
  • filed bug 866238 for a new prefs-like storage system
next week
  • meeting about Gecko storage

  • interviewing two devtools candidates
  • more work week planning, hiring stuff

paolo

Past weeks:

  • Networking Work Week

    • Download networking improvements

    • Investigated getting automated tests for the TCP RST case
    • Interesting topics like auto-restart connections on page loads when appropriate
  • Downloads
    • Meeting about Downloads Panel feedback and future improvements
  • Promises
    • Investigated modifying some consumers to account for delayed resolution
  • Downloads

    • Prepare basic external documentation

    • Review bug 858234 – Merge ExecuteDesiredAction paths into nsDownloadManager
  • Promises
    • Add code documentation to the current patch

    • Work on more cases where delayed resolution breaks existing consumers

felipe

  • bug 853389 – Convert AddonRepository from SQLit to JSON – Posted patches, cleaning up reading part with some possible changes depending on feedback

  • bug 812573, bug 865873 – Hotfix to decrease update interval – Helped QA with the testing of the xpi and staged hotfix. Waiting for sign-off now
  • Some e10s work with Bill
  • Providing feedback for gsoc applicants
  • Another meeting with the community for planning our activies at FISL 14

mano

  • Still working on the new login service. I’m expecting a reviewable patch in the next couple of weeks.

  • Reviewing TreeView.jsm from Alex Vincent
  • GetPlacesInfo API hasn’t landed yet due to some technical issues.

ttaubert

  • Cleaned up tab priority queue for sessionstore.

  • Cleaning up custom SS properties tacked onto DOM elements (use WeakMaps).
  • Intermittent orange SSWindowStateReady/Busy, bigger fix needed.
  • Reviewed and reviewing patches for collecting data in chunks.
  • Reviewed patch for optimizing sessionstore backup.
  • Reviewed Drew’s patch for background thumbnailing.
  • Lots of reviews and more to do.

adw

  • bug 841495 – implement background tab thumbnailing service

    • posted new patch for review, and Josh provided feedback, to which I responded, so I’m now awaiting his response again, but he’s on vacation
  • bug 856270 – Update nsEditorSpellCheck to use nsIContentPrefService2
    • two steps forward, one step back
  • bug 518606 – Troubleshooting Information page should have better support for copy-and-paste to plaintext
    • posted to the SUMO contributor forum to gather feedback, and several people have responded so far
  • bug 436801 – XHTML not properly supported in Feed titles
    • fixed test and landed
  • bug 806046 – Intermittent browser_bug719271.js
    • fix landed
  • bug 862620 – Add browser.newtab.url to Troubleshoot.jsm whitelist
    • reviewed
  • bug 555120 – Intermittent failure in browser_bug441778.js
    • investigating
  • bug 856595 – Intermittent test_wheel_default_action.html
    • investigating
  • triage

markh

Last week:

  • Landed a couple of panel changes and put additional patches up for review.

  • Landed a doorhanger change and nearly completed another.
  • Reviewed a couple of Shane’s social patches
  • Started looking into e10s
  • One public holiday off.

This week:

  • Dive into some e10s work.

  • Finish doorhanger patch.

dolske

  • Triaged most (~2/3?) of Plugin Finder Service bugs

  • Starting some Australis perf measurements on OS X
  • Weekend project: bad memory detection?
  • Meetings and such.

mconley

Last week

  • Customization

    • Final specification for customization work published

      • Big things on the chopping block are small icons mode and the add-on toolbar
    • Jamun branch has been updated to allow (almost) the entire nav-bar to be customized, as well as the toolbar-menubar, TabsToolbar and PersonalToolbar.
    • Started farming out additional widget work to new folks! \o/
  • Tabs
    • Empty favicon’s are gone from tabs, and tab labels are centered again on OSX

    • Put up a patch to make lw-theme’s work in the new curvy-tab world we’re in – r?MattN.
    • Worked with smichaud to get the tabs into the titlebar properly on OSX. Patch is r?dao and BenWa.
      • We can get the tabs up there, but there will still be some invalidation bugs which we’ll address in follow-ups.
  • Other
    • Patch in the works to retire the Firefox button – bug 863753
  • Customization

    • Get overflow panel working and done

    • Finish up API that allows widgets to know if they’re located in toolbars, the menu panel, or the overflow panel
    • Finish up the bookmarks widget
    • Start figuring out remaining work for landing (remaining widgets, fix the busted tests, migration, polish)
  • Tabs
    • Tomorrow is M3 for Australis tabs – I want to have lw-theme support for Linux and tabs back in the titlebar for OSX done.

gijs

Last week

  • Firefox Reset:

    • Landed bug 763890 (back profiles up to a single location)

      • This needs a test. There is a test, I need to move it to a followup bug. Doing this properly depends on XPCOM startup stuff for GTest. I have an open invitation from bsmedberg to pick that up; probably not getting into that while Australis is going on)
    • Wrote patches for bug 833943 (migrate session when doing reset).
      • Got ui-review from limi, need to follow up and include tab groups in migration
  • Australis:

    • Fixed bug 857626 (fixed height on tabs)

    • Fixed bug 852420 (ignore core warning for display: inline inside display: -moz-box for generated content)
    • Fixed bug 865776 (pinned tabs outlining on OS X)
    • Iterated on bug 823237, waiting for ux-review about the hit testing they want on tabs / new tab button.
    • Patched bug 850918 (double DPI on Windows and the tab bar)
    • Patched bug 865698, got review, waiting for bug 850918 (previous line).
  • Misc:

    • Fixed a profile manager bug bug 865136 found when doing Firefox Reset stuff

    • Fixed a random crasher found by a user bug 865147, landed on aurora and beta, too!
    • Fixed a random regression in OS X filepicker found by robcee bug 865803)
    • Fixed devtools inspector to have a working CSS pane for chrome bug 866381
    • Had a Dutch community meeting. Good discussions. Was bored and near enough emptied the Dutch Tech evang component (closed 9 out of the total 10 bugs as WFM/INVALID)
    • Set up my windows hardware and messed with my linux VM so I have build envs (woo!)

This week:

  • Get (ui-)r+ for bug 865698, bug 850918, bug 823237, all interrelated, all M3 so would like to get this done ASAP

  • Get started on some of the customization widgets for Australis
  • update patch for bug 833943 based on limi’s comments
  • off on Friday, will be in Paris from Thursday night onwards, back for next week

MattN

Last week:

  • Australis tab follow-ups

    • Patches and reviews
  • Helping with getpersonas.com migration fallout
    • Investigated broken LWTs – filed 2 additional bugs

      • patch and r+ on one
  • Doorhanger conversion reviews
  • Intern interview
  • PopupNotification/Security delay follow-up
  • Australis tabs M3

    • LWT

    • Tab stroke polish
    • Reviews
  • Interview

jaws

This past week:

  • Interviewing candidates for fx-team

  • Researching sec-high bug
  • Put up patches for:
  • Wrote a patch to animate/transition the bookmarks bar, just need to file the bug
  • Landed the patches for bug 862886 and bug 573329
  • Spent a good bit of time working on my mentored bugs
    • Working with a contributor to remove the missingFavicon from the bookmarks toolbar

    • Working with a couple contributors to fix some video-controls bugs
  • Went to the Design Day showcase that the MSU students presented at. They won the Most Technically Challenging award!
  • Lots of time spent in code reviews

This week:

  • More work on customization code

  • Presenting on Saturday at MobiDevDayDetroit about FirefoxOS (600 attendees), http://mobidevdaydetroit.com/
  • Communicating with GSoC students

cers

Was on vacation last week but:

  • Worked on bug 862998, added WIP patch, and will be working with UX during this week for specifics

  • Awaiting review on bug 839206

Will try to finish up bug 754344 during the week, and fix bug 767313

mixedpuppy

last week:

  • joined webrtc apps planning sessions in SF, targeting Fx25

  • small ux bugs worked on

this week:

  • figure out winxp dbg test failure for social marks

  • chat regression bug 864505 (affects all versions through beta)
  • work on ux mockups for share

next week:

  • identity work week in vancouver

  • security reviews

waiting on:

  • reviews (order of priority)
 * share bug 818675
 * telemetry bug 860549
 * relative urls bug 851336

Details

  • Tuesdays – 10:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Eastern, 17:00 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 91337
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 91337

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 91337
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 91337
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 91337
  • irc.mozilla.org #fx-team for backchannel
  • “Firefox” Vidyo Room

SeaMonkey: 2013-04-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> mcsmurf

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • mcsmurf for fixing many tests (nominated by Callek)

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • Need to reward the nominees of the friends of the fish tank from this year!

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • No Windows langpacks since 8th April on trunk. Needs investigating.

    • Comment from mcsmurf on this: Not clear what is meant by this, please clarify. xpi/win32/ folders on FTP server look fine. Also file a bug if something needs to be investigated/fixed.
  • The Java on Linux bug has been tracked down to being due to our (SM’s) build config. Basically our RelEng team needs to check whether we can switch to linking libstdc++ dynamically, like FF and TB do. See: bug 754622 Oracle/Sun Java jre1.7.0_04 and later does not work in SeaMonkey.
    • In the mean time, InvisibleSmiley has added the workaround to the 2.17 and 2.18 release notes.
  • Tinderbox is going to be EOLed. We need to move the SeaMonkey tinderboxpushlog off. See:
    • Mostly done now, just a few loose ends.

    • Callek has gotten up and running a newer version of TBPL (that doesn’t depend on tinderbox) for testing. This will be deployed eventually to replace the current TBPL code we are running.
    • Mcsmurf needs to talk to Callek to see if tbpl can get more memory (some PHP(?) setting?) as sometimes fetching a log fails due to not enough memory (See bug 845844).
  • Intermittent issue with Mac OSX64 Debug Leak log comprehension. Issue tracked in bug 774844. Also see possibly related Thunderbird bug 806492..
  • Two remaining machines on Parallels are the buildmaster (cb-seamonkey-linuxmaster-01) and Linux64 (cb-seamonkey-linux64-01). These need to be migrated to ESX. Specifically:
    • sea-vm-linux64-1 will replace cb-seamonkey-linux64-01 (and is ready to go)

    • sea-master1 will replace the current buildmaster.
  • bug 740633 set up seamonkey HPs in scl3. Hardware installed and iLO configured. CentOS 6.3 installed.
    • Awaiting puppetmaster fully prepared to instantiate as Linux Mock-Based slaves
  • sea-puppet (one of said hp machines) is ready to be configured as a puppet master (bug 827079), needs audit of the manifests and settings creation.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* eventually. Jcrammer is working on this.
  • release.mozilla.org doesn’t seem to be tracking the SeaMonkey project anymore. Need to ping Callek. (bug 850339)

Fixed Stuff Since Last Meeting

  • bug 843356 [Tracking bug] remove SeaMonkey dependency on tinderbox.mozilla.org.

  • bug 865976 Cannot build SeaMonkey on Linux since Bug 842927 (Implement DOM3 KeyboardEvent.key only for non-prin…
    • Bad hack :)

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey 2.18b2 shipped April 19.

  • SeaMonkey 2.18b3 shipped April 27.

Extensions Compatibility Tracking

  • See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.

  • Addon Compatibility Listings
  • There are now Lightning versions for both SM 2.17.x (Lightning 2.2b1) and SM 2.18 betas (Lightning 2.3b1) available on AMO.
    • Might need to point out in release notes that users needs to install the Lightning beta versions for the SeaMonkey releases (as Lightning follows Thunderbird 17.0.x release schedule)
  • Shipped extensions (DOMI, CZ, Venkman) compatibility:
    • Extensions are now compatible by default thus mitigating the issue. Although some people still disable c-b-d and run into issues.

    • SeaMonkey 2.18 will ship ChatZilla 0.9.90
  • Our build team (Callek, ewong, Serge) needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. bug 763506
  • Callek made some changes to the tags that SM pulls (CZ, Venkman, DOMI) for comm-central. See comm-central changeset 347b255c4810.
  • Nightly Tester Tools is being actively developed by xabolcs (coder) and whimboo (reviewer) to make it more compatible with comm-central in general and SeaMonkey in particular. See Issues · mozilla/nightlytt · GitHub.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • Some people cannot upgrade due to system requirements (OS version, processor capabilities etc.). This even more applies to 2.10 which dropped support for Win2k and WinXP without SP2, and 2.14 dropping Mac OS X 10.5 support.
    • We now have a webpage for contributed builds available for “Legacy Platforms” like PPC (bug 759315)
  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.17

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (10)

2.Next

  • Current breakages:

    • Nothing significant at the moment.
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 737615 Remove use of synchronous cache API from unit tests. Tracked in:
      • bug 804972 Remove synchronous calls to nsICacheSession::openCacheEntry in SeaMonkey tests.

      • Mcsmurf says this is almost fixed but there was a test failure. He will close this bug and open a new one for the failure.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
      • bug 795354 Migrate SeaMonkey Linux builders to CentOS 6.

      • bug 794772 Port |Bug 713802 – Build with GIO support (and drop GnomeVFS)|. This is dependent on bug 795354.
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
    • bug 839034 move markPageAsXXX methods to nsINavHistoryService. Tracked in:
      • bug 845895 Fix markPageAsXXX usage in Seamonkey.

      • [Fixed] bug 856208 Stop using global-history;2 in SeaMonkey code.

Feature List, Planning

Private Browsing is now mostly complete and uplifted to 2.18. Most things should work but some edge cases have probably been missed. Hopefully any remaining bugs will be found before its release.

  • Testing would be appreciated! Please file bugs as blocking the meta bug 460895.

  • We need to figure out if we want a new about:privatebrowsing page which someone will have to write. We also don’t have any help content yet.

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 48 new, 16 fixed, 17 triaged.

  • Medium triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
23 review
7 super-review
2 ui-review
6 feedback

  • bug 847546 Support Retina Display (HiDPI) on SeaMokney on MacOS X.

    • Ratty thinks we will need 2x PNGs as well as other changes. See Core Tracking bug 785330 for supporting HiDPI mode (Retina Display) on Mac OS X.
  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.
    • Ratty suggests featuring one or more bugs from that page at each meeting.
  • Featured helpwanted bugs:

Good First Bugs

  • Note: The GFB list is open to all including our regular contributors.

  • Ratty is working on an updated GFB list, suggestions welcome.
  • New GFBs recently added:
  • Currently there are 24 GFBs open, 2 are being actively worked on. bug 735333 needs some help getting this running on the try-server. Mcsmurf is assisting.
  • List of Open mentored bugs.
    • Ratty notes that there are 23 bugs that are GFBs but without the mentor keyword. These need to be audited to see if they are really suitable as GFBs.
  • In the last two weeks since the previous meeting:
    • bug 735333 Use Services.prefs instead of preferences-service / gPrefService, in SeaMonkey code. Mcsmurf will check in the Services.prefs patches soon. IanN says that once this is done, it’s worth asking people who use trunk to give those areas a good test, because we have regressed before with Services.jsm landings.

      • Mcsmurf did some testing on this, but need to check how to “discover” JS bugs, as they don’t generate TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL in the log.
    • bug 752331 Atul had to give up on this bug due to illness. Ratty will leave this open for the time being.
  • Mentors of stalled bugs should try to communicate with the assignees and if they can’t work on them any more to unassign/free up those bugs.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Callek

Fixed:

  • bug 865071 Add SeaMonkey 2.18 Beta 3 to bouncer.

Working on:

  • bug 860566 Add SeaMonkey 2.17.1 to bouncer.

  • bug 812981 Put up snippets for linux64 minor and major updates to SeaMonkey 2.14.0 and Beta to SeaMonkey 2.14b5.
  • bug 865976 Cannot build SeaMonkey on Linux since bug 842927 (Implement DOM3 KeyboardEvent.key only for non-printable key, first) [nsGtkKeyUtils.o] Error 1

To Do:

  • bug 740633 set up seamonkey HPs in scl3.

  • bug 817383 SeaMonkey needs new (public) GPG key, in order to support signing releases properly.
  • bug 827079 Setup SeaMonkey PuppetMaster.
  • bug 827178 Update stage.m.o cron to match recent changes with ffxbld cron.
  • bug 845844 Deploy updated tbpl to tbpl.drapostles.org.

ewong

  • Review:

    • bug 739056 – Port |Bug 715099 – Convert nsProfileMigrator to JS so we can use JS modules on migration| to SeaMonkey
  • Working On:

    • bug 633937 – Port bug 562048 to suite.

    • bug 796994 – Use filepicker’s open() instead of the obsolete show() in /suite/*
    • bug 813844 – Port confvars.sh changes from Bug 718067 and package.manifest.in changes from Bug 808219 (Firefox Health Reporter service)
    • bug 834690 – Port |Bug 569342 – Find bar should not be enabled in about:addons| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 834691 – Port |Bug 632233| to SeaMonkey (XULBrowserWindow.onLocationChange looks for a “disablefastfind” attribute in all content documents before ruling them out)
    • bug 837649 – [Tracking Bug] Stop OSX 10.5 support for SeaMonkey project
    • bug 837650 – Stop support for OSX 10.5 in suite/ tree
  • To Do:

IanN

  • Some testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 786316 Save As Template should correctly manage multiple selections
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
    • bug 778534 Use image instead of html:img in instant messaging
  • Working on:
    • Various SM Council documents.

    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

mcsmurf

  • Fixed bug 860966 Compile failure in msgMapiImp.cpp with Visual Studio 2012

  • Fixed bug 862701 Update SeaMonkey installer package-manifest.in
  • Fixed bug 863099 [SeaMonkey] TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | browser_ApplicationPrefs.js | Check existing boolean property for existence
  • Fixed bug 863426 Port test fixes from |Bug 854467 – can’t un-set the clicktoplay flag on an nsIPluginTag| to SeaMonkey
  • Fixed bug 820764 Stop using addvisit() in browser tests
  • Investigated bug 823491 [SeaMonkey] mochitest-3: test_sizetocontent_clamp.html | Test timed out. (turned out to be related to a pref that’s different in SeaMonkey)
  • Investigated bug 825855 [SeaMonkey] TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | test_browserGlue_migrate.js | example == migrated – See following stack:
  • Working on bug 863672 Port configure.in changes to comm-aurora
  • Working on bug 864271 Permanent orange: TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | browser_dataman_basics.js | Test timed out
  • Working on bug 841642 Re-enable WebRTC after bug 837618 is fixed.
  • Working on bug 840474 Clicking on new mail notifcation sometimes opens a second MailNews window
  • Working on bug 867008 Remove previous calls to PlacesUtils.backups and move them to PlacesBackups (SeaMonkey)
  • Working on bug 867068 Switch SeaMonkey to new Places async API

Neil

Fixed on trunk:

Fixed on trunk, aurora and beta:

Fixed on mozilla-aurora:

  • bug 856571 Move accesskey for Error Console’s filter box back (Toolkit).

Need to request comm-aurora approval:

  • bug 860851 New Error Console Filter textbox label should have slightly less useless access key.

Need to request review:

  • bug 861691 Search bar should not save search history in private windows.

Still working on:

Waiting for review:

  • bug 859125 Clean up confvars.sh and configure.in.

  • bug 866223 Compose windows are no longer recycled.

Still waiting for review:

  • bug 839891 Implement optional taskbar preview-per-tab.

Ratty

Fixed:

  • bug 852499 Port bug 835730 (Properly tear down components when the profile is being shut down) to SeaMonkey.

  • bug 861194 Crtl+clicking on a link should open it even if content is calling event.stopPropagation() in a click event handler (Port Firefox bug 748740).
  • bug 863300 Themes (Modern and Classic) are broken due to bug 846540.
  • bug 864369 Turn on preference in SeaMonkey to enable Mixed Content Blocker and to block insecure active content loads on https pages.

Investigating:

  • bug 864379 bug 846540 Part 4 regressed the fix in bug 708799 (WSEnable.exe.manifest: manifest authoring error c1010001) but only in VC9 builds. May be WONTFIXed if support for VC9 is officially dropped.

Other stuff:

  • Did some reviews.

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

rsx11m

Fixed:

  • bug 866503 Notifications preference pane doesn’t observe locked status for show_alert and show_balloon.

  • bug 861471 Update the SSL preference pane after bug 733642 changed preference names and semantics.

Waiting for comm-beta approval:

  • bug 849359 Print button is misaligned in the Composer and Message Composition toolbars with the Modern theme.

Other:

stefanh

Fixed bug 864034[Mac][personas] lightweight theming crunches window title bar.

Any other business?


SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2013-04-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Notices/Schedule

  • FF21.0b5 for Desktop was shipped yesterday due to build specific AMD Radeon top-crasher – bug 865701

  • FF21.0b6( our second last beta) is going to build today
37 bugs (33 bugs last week) 27 bugs (33 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 22 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 21 Trackers (non-security)

Key Issues

Threads

Products/Projects

Firefox Mobile

Blog Shout Out

WebRTC: enabling instructions and info on how to test. More is More: http://www.morbo.org/2013/04/webrtc-support-on-android.html
Highlights of the UI hackathon and more: http://planet.firefox.com/mobile/

Usability, Responsiveness, and New Features
Stability Wins
  • bug 863288 – java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.nativeDecodeByteArray(Native Method) at org.mozilla.gecko.AboutHomeContent/TopSitesView.getThumbnailsFromCursor(TopSitesView.java)

Stability

  • Something regressed “EMPTY dump” crashes significantly on Nightly, see bug 866526 – Ted saw those and IIRC says he saw Firefox hanging somewhat, then probably going OOM and crashing with those reports. If anyone has a clue what checkin on Friday (April 26) could have caused that, please comment in the bug.
  • Mobile Nightly Crash rate has gone back down. Great job Mobile Dev team!

OrangeFactor

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 7.31 (Previous Week: 8.28).

  • No progress getting Windows XP xpcshell tests un-hidden.
  • Big spike in bug 707777 on Windows 8 this week. Currently unowned.
  • 23 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Roundtable

  • RelEng needs your help to improve test machine capacity!

    • We have some tests that are currently failing on Ubuntu, preventing us from re-using these machines as WinXP/Win7 testers. mochitests-browser-chrome and mochitests-others need to move from fedora–>ubuntu. Specifically, we need help with dep bugs under bug 834725

      • bug 838613: we are getting a value of 0 for a pointer in nsExceptionHandler.cpp::RegisterAppMemory()

      • bug 847558: on amazon ec2 vm’s browser_dbg_createChrome.js hangs (timed out) on opt builds
      • bug 860349: Intermittent browser_dbg_createChrome.js | application timed out after 330 seconds with no output
      • bug 848924: Intermittent Ubuntu debug VM reftest TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL
  • (RyanVM) status of “birch as b2g-inbound”

    • birch now has 10-12% of checkins compared to mozilla-inbound.

    • 21apr-30apr: 48 (birch) vs 467 (m-i)
    • 14apr-30apr: 100 (birch) vs 807 (m-i)

Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-04-3011:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 98411

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Warp Core / SFO-Boardroom / Tor Commons
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

29-April-2013

Mozilla Project: 2013-04-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

  • Waldo nominates Christian Holler (decoder) for the amazing JavaScript testcases he finds.

Upcoming Events

Tuesday, 30 April

Thursday, 02 May

  • Grow Mozilla discussion at 10 AM pacific — a forum for discussing community building at Mozilla

Product Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

Firefox Mobile

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

  • We’re in the yandex store!

  • Continuing to set records for stability on FF20 (release) and FF21 (beta) – keep it up!
  • Still debugging dynamic/auto-hiding nav bar (e.g. bug 858969), please report bugs vigourously!
  • Release is creeping towards 4.5 (visual) stars in the play store – do you have 2000 friends who can help?

Webmaker

Speaker Location: Ryan Merkley in Toronto

  • Last week we told you about Maker Party 2013, Mozilla’s big summer learning code where people will get together around the world to make and learn with the web

  • This week: we’re going to tell you about what’s happening specifically in the UK, through their “Make Things Do Stuff” campaign
  • Get involved: you can learn more and sign up here: http://makethingsdostuff.co.uk/

Other ways to get involved with Webmaker this week:

Firefox OS

Speaker Location: No Audio

  • 1.0.1

    • Next week we enter the second round of certification testing for Spain/Venezuela/Columbia, so trying to close as many TEF+ bugs as possible this week.
  • 1.1
    • MMS workweek in Portland, for 2 weeks

Grow Mozilla

No voice update this week

Help us build a history of Mozilla told by Mozillians. Please share your memories about this Mozilla milestone:

60 Seconds with Mozilla IT

Speaker Location: Corey Shields via Vidyo (no screen share)

  • hg push server had an issue last week, failover to a redundant push node happened with little impact

    • Details: the way hg is setup there is a single server for changes over ssh (pushes) and a whole pool of servers for consumption through http. This single server has a passive replica that we’ve never had to rely on before last week. Failover to the backup node worked fine as did failing back to the primary node when it was fixed.
  • Mozilla is now contributing to pool.ntp.org
    • We make use of GPS based time servers in our primary data centers to ensure that our infrastructure is as close to being in sync as possible. These servers are now contributing back to the greater Internet community
  • Questions? –> #it and #desktop

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Lizz Noonan Campaign Coordinator – Firefox Firefox Flicks update – Early Entry winners San Francisco Play videos please http://firefoxflicks.tumblr.com/post/47706055901/baficiearly http://www.firefoxflicks.org
Paula Le Dieu UK Hive Make Things Do Stuff campaign London UK via Vidyo Yes — PDF slides
Emajee’ Summers Around the Campfire Mozilla/Yearup Around the Campfire Event San Francisco, CA No Wikipage in progress
Didem Ersoz WebFWD – Mozilla’s Global Accelerator Help recruit teams for WebFWD IV Mountain View, CA No https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p47xtwp068j577e/1sFb2LZFXK webfwd.org/apply

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Benjamin Kelly Lucas Adamski Mountain View Reston, VA Software Engineer, Firefox OS
Julien Vehent Joe Stevensen Mountain View Philadelphia, PA Operations Security Engineer
Robert Lord Paxton Cooper (will introduce him next week) Carmel Mountain View Director of Product Management, Services

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Max Li David Bolter Toronto Toronto Android/FFOS accessibility (braille, magnification, TBD)

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Services

  • Services is launching Heka, a new high-volume logging and monitoring infrastructure. It’s being deployed in Sync and Marketplace, and available to anyone who needs it. Docs at http://heka-docs.readthedocs.org

QA

Web QA

  • Engagement

    • New ReMo release with some new features like events display, and auto-filtering on user’s interests + bug fixes

    • New Flicks release with Early Award winner posted, plus winners, partners and awards pages added.
  • Firefox OS
  • Marketplace / AMO
    • Work continues on automating app installation and payments testing, using Marionette
  • Mozillians
    • Several issues with the dev cluster – https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=864422

    • Near continuous deployment – small bug fixes, multiple releases over the last week
    • Team is actively scoping the UI refresh work that will be accomplished this quarter. UI Mockups forthcoming in the next few weeks.
  • MDN
  • Socorro

Automation & Tools

  • Tracked down the issues with the intermittent “Android 2400 second timeout” bug (bug 663657), deploying a fix to the automation this week.

  • Moving webGL into its own mochitest suite for android both to possibly fix issues (seems to be memory related) and to give better visibility into its intermittent failures
  • New email alerts are soon to be available from Datazilla – this is getting ready to switch to this for performance reporting. If you want to be included in the email from it, ping jeads (#ateam) — (eventually these will replace the current emails to dev.treemanagment)
  • Comparitive pageload tests for Android using Eideticker has landed, and the point grey camera solution for b2g has been proven. Next up: adding the b2g point grey results to the dashboard.
  • More news here

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600

24-April-2013

Mobile: 2013-04-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2013-05-13

  • Next release: 2013-05-14

Major Topics for This Week

UI Hackathon
First try of a focused sprint on front-end bugs. This one is focused on UI paper cuts. Current bug list. Starts today and ends on Friday. All are invited to pitch in!

Home Page Redesign
We started to land some foundational patches for the about:home redesign (designs and meta bug). This work will continue on Fig and land on mozilla-central when it’s ready. More on the plan in this thread.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs.

  • Michael Kohler fixed bug 795588 – Privacy policy link is 404

  • Tetsuharu OHZEKI filed and fixed bug 863285 – Cache the result of Ci.nsIMemory.isLowMemoryPlatform()
  • Mark Capella fixed bug 800899 – Reader Mode:Toolbar remove button not updated when removing a Reading List entry via Context Menu
  • Federico Paolinelli bug 731491 – Extract shared ContentProvider superclass

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • Bug 862448 – Fast fencing path busted when preserveDrawingBuffer=true

  • Bug 858292 – gfx defects in shumway demos when skia-gl enabled
  • Bug 848482 – [SkiaGL] SourceSurface doesn’t currently work with SkiaGL
  • Bug 848652 – Implement the ArrayBuffer version of AudioContext.createBuffer

Kats

  • April 16 – April 23

    • spent a lot of time getting b2g builds usable and debuggable. got an unagi because emulator is too slow

    • built a 64-bit b2g toolchain for mac
    • bug 839641 – APZC binding for fennec, need to address review comments
    • bug 833964 – crash in APZC on B2G
    • working on bug 860162 – fix scrollCompensation calculation in APZC
    • working on bug 833795 – scroll jitter (b2g blocker)
    • bisected AWSY regressions (bug 862390, 862403) and building tooling to make it easier
    • mentoring bugs (bugs 755240, 861205, 708765)
    • bug 847898 – disable android beam until a version with permissions bump
    • attended infra load discussion
    • grabbed build data using gps’ tools and analyzing it (see dev.platform posts)
    • helping nrc debug 861919
  • Next:
    • more work on bug 833795, 860162 (APZC fixes)

    • reminder: going on PTO may 2 – may 20

GBrown

  • Done

    • bug 859563 GeckoEventExpecter instances are reused incorrectly

    • bug 864803 sutAgent: “Failed to destroy process” on pandaboards
    • bug 863752 TypeError in remotexpcshelltests.py / setAppRoot
    • bug 865006 Run more xpcshell tests on Android (but waiting on bug 861295)
  • Working on
    • Panda test reliability

    • Re-enable more robocop tests
    • A site white-list for Shumway

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

  • Done

    • bug 858969 – window.scrollTo() cannot ensure compatibility when dynamic toolbar is enabled

    • Interviews
  • Doing/Next

    • bug 865298 – Small fix-ups after bug 858969

    • Anything else blocking bug 716403
    • Merge dynamic toolbar stuff to Aurora
    • SkiaGL help
    • Ouya/TV?

Chris Peterson

  • Done

    • bug 863288 – java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.nativeDecodeByteArray(Native Method)

    • bug 863490 – Unloading page with embedded YouTube Flash video logs “grabbing the JNIEnv from the wrong thread” errors
    • bug 859212 – Change AwesomeBar entry mode for stock gesture keyboard and TouchPal
    • bug 862069 – Change AwesomeBar’s default input mode from Search mode to URL mode for gesture keyboards
    • bug 864521 – Replace Fennec’s AndroidKeyEvent::KEYCODE enum with Android’s AKEYCODE enum
    • bug 861601 – Suppress gcc -Wmultichar warnings from Android’s Stagefright header files
    • bug 862669 – Fix some warnings in SIPCC Android code
    • bug 863804 – Fix some noisy warnings in Android build
    • bug 863103 – Add BackgroundService runIntentInService()
  • Next

    • Finish Flash video topcrash investigation and related blocking bugs

    • Upstream more Push API work to mozilla-services
    • Land 855146 – Add some IME automated tests

JChen

  • Past week

    • Fixed bug 859452 – FN and SHIFT keys not working on Desire Z

    • Fixed bug 860158 – Language in search box changes while typing
    • Worked on bug 864666 – New: Two characters entered when typing into password field with ‘Phone’ type keyboard
    • Fixed bug 862929 – ANRReporter sometimes cannot find end of the Fennec stack trace
    • Worked on bug 863777 – Teach ANR reporter to use the profiler to get a native stack
    • Uplifted bug 857413 – ANR: deadlock in IME code when switching to background thread
    • Several improvements to ANR dashboard

GCP

  • Last week:

    • Blogged: http://www.morbo.org/2013/04/webrtc-support-on-android.html

    • Investigate WebRTC bugs
    • [Bug 863290] crash in webrtc::videocapturemodule::DeviceInfoAndroid::NumberOfDevices
    • [Bug 859430] Add Bluetooth headset functionality to WebRTC calls
    • [Bug 864552] Trying to load https://apprtc.appspot.com on a Galaxy S3 fails to load the camera stream with WebRTC config prefs set
    • [Bug 864236] Make multi-MiB allocations in the url-classifier fallible
    • [Bug 862883] Enable webrtc mochitest automation for FxAndroid
    • [Bug 862808] Local Video is upside down on Android when in portrait mode
  • Next week:
    • More of the same
  • Up for taking:
    • Bug 862377 – Doorhanger UI for WebRTC

Brian N

  • Done

    • Bug 703564 – Find some way to add email or even comments for crashes on Firefox for Android

    • Bug 863803 – LayerView not shown after resuming from an OOM kill
    • Bug 863095 – Don’t refresh AboutHomeContent in onResume()
    • Bug 865060 – Clean up threads in AboutHome views
  • Next
    • UI hackathon

    • about:home ViewPager

WesJ

Last week

  • bug 773535 – Use Tablet style prefs on tablets

  • bug 853456 – target=_blank doesn’t work with <img> links
  • bug 813756 – Payments frontend for Android – waiting for reviews
  • Bunch of testing for multi-locale stuff bug 792077

This week

  • bug 826325 – Decide where window.open should open content

  • bug 729463 – Implement switch-to-tab – still looking at test failures

LucasR

Last week

Next week

  • UI polishing Hackathon

  • about:home/awesome screen merge

Margaret

  • Done

    • Finally landed something to kill (all but one of) the fake mouse event hacks used for text selection – bug 667243

    • Fixed a crash regression (caused by me) in BrowserApp.onActivityResult – bug 847834
    • Don’t let the user pin empty sites – bug 857661
    • Wrap user-entered pinned site search/URLs in a special URI – bug 858994
    • Don’t treat pinned sites as bookmarks unless they are bookmarks – bug 860759
  • Next

    • UI hackathon!

    • about:home redesign

Scott (jwir3)

Note: I won’t be able to make this week’s meeting, but my status is below. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments!

Last Week:

  • bug 836568 landed: Reflow-on-zoom has issues with events being queued up.

  • bug 862763: Font inflation checking is showing up way too much (~15%) in profiles (complete, but hasn’t landed yet – still in review).

This Week:

  • Still working on bug 836565, but there’s a plan to go forward that I hope to have mostly complete by the end of the week.

  • bug 864595: Assertion failure in caretPositionFromPoint
  • Look into other issues that Margaret is having with caretPositionFromPoint returning an unexpected object for a given set of coordinates.
  • bug 861106: Crash in nsDocumentViewer::SetMinFontSize.

BLassey

Last week
  • In Madrid with B2G

    • Found some places where Android and B2G interests overlap

    • We’ll be taking those pieces
  • Worked on apks in apks, GeckoWebView and GPC cell tower data collection
  • pushed my first gaia patch (I think)
Next week
  • hopefully get APKs in APKs up for review

  • I’ll be in MV and SF w/finkle next week

MFinkle

  • Working with BD and potential partners

  • Lots of meetings
  • Will be in MV next week

Ian Barlow

  • This week

    • UI Hackathon!

      • Trying to support wherever help is needed. Ping me if you need clarification or mockups or anything!
    • Reader enhancements
    • Sketching out some “quick share” concepts
      • Bubbling up a user’s most used sharing service, a la Android Gallery

WebRT

Martyn ->
Mostly working on a couple of small bugs but still very much trying to get to know the code better. Still having massive issues with speed of development as feeling very slow atm. Would love to know progress of project allowing use of Eclipse/IntelliJ against the Fennec code base. It’s my birthday on Tuesday and have PTO Friday -> Tuesday.

Last Week:

  • getting to grips with patch submit process.

  • computer died, wasted time fixing that.
  • bug 854940 mostly done – submitted for review
  • bug 863052 started to investigate

This Week:

  • bug 854940 feedback comments implemented

  • bug 863052 still working on this – new code, so it’s going fairly slowly atm.

Round Table

  • [bajaj] bug 760394 – android.database.CursorWindowAllocationException: Cursor window allocation of <n>*2048 kb failed. at android.database.CursorWindow.<init>(CursorWindow.java) on ICS and above

    • Reproducible top-crasher

    • Latest comment indicates that its #3 top crasher in 21.0b3. Any next steps here ?

QA

  • 21 Beta 4 in progress

  • working on a large libstagefright test

Stability


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2013-04-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Beta (21)

  • We Shipped FF21.0b3 last week

  • FF 21.0b4 went to build yesterday, planned to release before Friday.

Firefox Metro

Metro Highlights

  • Iteration #5 – Completed

    • Team completed 75 story points across 25 features – a 19% increase in performance from the previous iteration.

    • Team established a new average velocity rate of 47 story points per iteration – a 17% increase in performance from the previous iteration.
    • Overall performance gain in story points and velocity resulted in a new production forecast release of December 23, 2013 – a reduction of 3 iterations from the previous release update.
    • Product Manager review of V1 Release List resulted in the removal of 9 Feature Stories to V2.
  • Iteration #6 – Current
    • 4 resolved stories awaiting verification testing.

    • 4 Sync related feature stories were reopened following testing.
    • Product Manager is reviewing the Story Backlog and reprioritizing feature stories for the upcoming Iteration #7.
    • Status reports, starting with Iteration #6, will now present three release forecast scenarios: Worst, Expected and Best case.

Iteration Performance Summary

  • Total Work: 109 total story points – 27 bugs.

    • 16 feature stories.

    • 9 defect stories.
    • 2 change stories.
  • Completed Work: 36 story points closed – 14 bugs – 33% complete.

    • 5 feature stories.

    • 8 defect stories.
    • 1 change story.
  • Remaining Work: 73 story points remaining – 13 bugs – 67% open.

    • 11 feature stories.

    • 1 defect stories.
    • 1 change story.

Iteration Work Details

ID Summary Priority Status
851900 Defect – Select popups have ugly gap in item highlight P1 ASSIGNED
855578 Change – Leaving website error message should appear modal P1 ASSIGNED
835623 Story – Combine page contextual items (URL bar, bookmark star, etc.) into single app bar P2 ASSIGNED
850737 Story – Smoothly scroll the Firefox Start screen P2 ASSIGNED
833182 Story – Updating Firefox P2 ASSIGNED
849395 Story – Allow updates via about flyout P2 ASSIGNED
831916 Story – Hide and delete tiles in Bookmarks and History tile groups P2 ASSIGNED
831918 Story – Pin, Unpin, Hide, and Restore a Top Site P2 ASSIGNED
831934 Story – Access the Context App Bar for interacting with Firefox Start tiles P2 ASSIGNED
838497 Backlog – Outstanding Design Assets P2 ASSIGNED
833130 Story – Sync passwords P2 REOPENED
833131 Story – Sync bookmarks P2 REOPENED
833132 Story – Sync history P2 REOPENED
833133 Story – Sync tabs P2 REOPENED
852090 Story – Write selection tests P2 RESOLVED
854070 Defect – Caret selection initiated from the end of a text input is buggy P1 VERIFIED
859447 Defect – Nothing happens when I tap the settings icon in the page info bar P1 VERIFIED
862025 Defect – Dragging a text input selection monocle downward can cause selection to reverse P1 VERIFIED
862054 Defect – caret selection via touch not working, no grippers appear (elementFromPoint doesn’t take clientX/clientY from sub frame events.) P1 VERIFIED
854077 Change – Use radio buttons for “Do Not Track” options and add a neutral option P1 VERIFIED
852805 Defect – Adding “Enter” shortcut while using search (CTRL + F) P1 VERIFIED
855581 Defect – New tab created if you receive “Leave Page” error and only a single tab is present P1 VERIFIED
855587 Defect – Predefined bookmarks should be to final URL and not to a page that will redirect P1 VERIFIED
863060 Defect – Deleting all characters in “find in page” text box results in strange behavior P1 VERIFIED
831894 Story – Put Firefox into Snapped View P2 VERIFIED
831919 Story – Use Firefox Start in snapped view P2 VERIFIED
833200 Story – Use the auto-complete screen in snapped view P2 VERIFIED
860994 Story – Fixup intermittent context menu failing tests P2 VERIFIED

Firefox Mobile

Current Releases

Fx for android is now available on the Yandex Store
Install the Yandex store APK on your Android device to browse and select Firefox for Android http://m.store.yandex.com. As of Tuesday AM, we had 180 downloads and 80 active installs.
UI Hackathon
First try of a focused sprint on front-end bugs. This one is focused on UI paper cuts. Current bug list. Starts today and ends on Friday. All are invited to pitch in!

Beta (21)

Aurora (22)

Nightly (23)

Services

Firefox Health Report

  • Continuing on track for Fx21

  • Work continues on performance improvements and general resiliency

Product Announcements

  • No significant updates this week

Developer Tools

  • no audible, but sourcemaps landed and our long Per-window Private Browsing nightmare is over.

Games Platform Update

  • Epic Demo at GDC was a success with more than 170 stories written world wide and over a quarter million hits. BD team reports that conversations are going much better as a result.

    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsyogXtyU9o

    • Epic is currently planning to release the demo end of the month.
    • I’m working with PR to figure out the best way to help on that from our end.
    • Mozilla’s logo will be front and center.
  • Other important game related web news, Unity is dropping flash as a port target.
  • Games platform team is now focused on polish, shipping outstanding features, and making it all work on mobile.
    • Currently feedback is that Firefox Android Nightly has the best WebGL performance on the market, this is from a few key developers and I have not confirmed this directly yet.
  • We are in the process of finalizing WebAudio and will be landing elements over 22-25
    • I hope to get it done by the end of 24 to make it into version 1.2 of FirefoxOS

    • It’s a big one so we are making it easier to track with the following wiki page.
    • The spec is build out of nodes that can be done in parallel so we are looking for more engineers to help us accelerate it.
  • ASM.js support is also a priority to land in FirefoxOS and we are working hard to get that ready for 1.2 of FirefoxOS.
    • We have two test projects that are in alpha state and fully playable and everyone is focused on making those work on as low a device as possible.

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Preparing to Release User Sentiment Report for Firefox 20 next week. Watch for it in your inbox soon!

Mobile

Monitoring feedback, watching for Yandex store feedback but that is on the back burner. No updates today.

User Experience (Research & Design)

No audible this week – but enjoy:

  • [desktop]

    • [Australis] (Zhenshuo, Blake)

    • [Social API] (Boriss)
      • Mocking up parts needed to open bugs: nub “overflow” mode, icon states in active/inactive menus

      • Following up work on menu states, particularly for single-provider vs multiple-provider
      • Continuing sketches on Share and next steps
  • [metro] (yuan)

    • Presented “Firefox for Windows 8: the present and the future” on UX Summit PDF Slides

    • Landed the on-screen “Back” and “Plus” buttons for full-screen navigation! bug 836791. Top sites tiles are bigger and colorful now (thanks Frank and Ally.)
    • Agreed upon how to quick exit Auto-complete screen Sketches for current direction Notes

Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team

Desktop / Platform

Google

  • Now that Google has forked WebKit to create its own browser engine, Blink, work is commencing on many new platform technologies, including animated WebP images, CSS blending for elements and backgrounds, the picture element, vibration API, web MIDI API, object-fit and object-position, equivalents to mozInnerScreenX and Y, a device motion API, lazy-block layout, final portions of the pointer/hover media queries, DOM3 mouse enter and mouse leave events, CSS exclusions, and more. Opera is also contributing code for improved multicol support

Microsoft

HTML5

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

  • Badge Unlocked — 25 Million Direct Relationships Achieved

The Community Engagement team just past the 25 MILLION mark on the amount of direct relationships established with our user base — Congrats!
That includes anyone who has chosen to follow up through the following means: email, social media, affiliates, and more
Having direct relationships is extremely valuable as it gives us a means to speak directly to users – this is absolutely essential when we want to get out the word on new features (like private browsing, below) or launch new products like Firefox OS

  • Moved and Improved – Private Browsing Campaign Results

Reminder: We launched a outreach campaign to existing users to help launch our improved Private Browsing changes with the Firefox 20 launch
Results: That campaign ended up prompting over 400K users to take action and learn more about these changes, and overall performed within the “average” range, which is expected for very specific feature related communications like this

Questions, Comments, FYI

FYI, all.html is smaller as of today (Axel)


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

23-April-2013

Firefox Status: 2013-04-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Round Table

  • Mark Hammond joining fx-team!

Friends of the Firefox team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs.

  • Max Li made it possible to double-click on <video> to toggle fullscreen (parity with YouTube, Windows Media Player, and more!) (bug 858016).

  • Sunny [:darkowlzz] fixed an edge case to fade out the video controls even when the user doesn’t move their mouse (bug 708814).
  • Brandon Waterloo fixed a regression to show the zoom cursors in framed images (bug 862117). Brandon also has been implementing gesture detection for double-tap gestures on OSX in bug 863841.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

gavin

past week
next week
  • reviewing more search patches

  • meeting with dolske/jed re: native identity
  • meeting with gregg lind re: jetpack
  • some hiring/onboarding planning
  • working with marco & paolo on appcoast projects

paolo

Past weeks:

  • Promises

    • bug 810490 – Constant stack space promise

    • Identify cases where delayed resolution breaks existing consumers
  • Downloads
    • The JavaScript API is now available to Toolkit consumers (bug 847191, bug 851461)

    • Reviewing bug 858234 – Merge ExecuteDesiredAction paths into nsDownloadManager
  • Other
    • Landed bug 859065 – Avoid “command timed out: 1200 seconds without output, attempting to kill”
  • bug 810490 – Constant stack space promise

  • Networking Work Week: Investigating causes of truncated or corrupt downloads (bug 237623)
  • Meeting about Downloads Panel feedback and future improvements
  • Review bug 858234 – Merge ExecuteDesiredAction paths into nsDownloadManager
  • ui-review for bug 832672 – Downloads Panel gives no indication or feedback on missing files

mak

Last week:

This week:

  • Downloads panel phase 2 meeting delayed to Tomorrow 11:30 PDT, feel free to join if you wish (etherpad moved due to vandalism, pm me for link)

  • Keep working on RemovePlaces API (bug 834545) on top of Mano’s patch for GetPlacesInfo
  • Evaluating to revive bug 478912 (bookmarks initialization is not fault tolerant) due to reports of users losing bookmark roots for unknown reasons.
  • Some requests for feedback to handle, possibly today, to unblock work
  • Away on Thursday for Liberation Day

Blockers:

  • need r?ttaubert in bug 863447 to land indexedDB in about:home

felipe

ttaubert

  • Worked on a bunch of intermittent failures.

  • Did some sessionstore code cleanup.
  • Worked on e10s-related bugs for sessionstore including moving the restoration process to the content.
  • Some reviews, need to attack my queue to unblock some people.
  • Organized and ran the de:hacking meetup in Berlin.

adw

  • bug 841495 – implement background tab thumbnailing service

    • Fixed a problem in the patch (not posted yet), waiting on Josh’s feedback/review on private browsing design
  • bug 856270 – Update nsEditorSpellCheck to use nsIContentPrefService2
    • Struggling with tests, now reftests
  • bug 863430 – Add a reftest-spellchecker API
    • Working on patch and awaiting dbaron’s feedback on its design
  • bug 518606 – Troubleshooting Information page should have better support for copy-and-paste to plaintext
    • I plan to gather suggestions from SUMO contributors for improvements they might want to about:support’s “Copy text to clipboard” text
  • triage

dolske

Past week:

  • Various Australis coord/planning/schedule stuff

  • Lots of email threads, notably firefox-dev!
  • First-run spinup, but on pause till cers is back.
  • Intern planning

Next week:

  • PICL, Native Identity, Test Pilot

mconley

Last week

  • Get customization stuff settled, and have the customization target behaviour more or less matching spec on Jamun branch

  • Start figuring out toolbar overflow implementation
  • Revisit some things from Customization Milestone 2 that didn’t get finished, farm out some easier widgets to a few willing victims, and de-bitrot bookmark widget now that mak has landed star toolbarbutton
  • Meeting some folks tomorrow to talk about the next iteration of the downloads panel
  • Doing my first interview tomorrow as well.
  • I need to know how the Character Encoding menu panel widget is supposed to work – UX team is aware of this.

mikedeboer

Last week:

  • Search consolidation aftermath: bug 862401 and bug 860560

    • bug 862401 includes work on a nasty unit test…
  • bug 776708 – ‘Find in page’ design updates – appeared on my radar, updated patch there and fryn reviewed it
  • Australis: just fixed bug 856107, needs to be reviewed (by MattN)
  • Proposed https://github.com/mikedeboer/mozAsync to firefox-dev, great response!
    • check the ‘examples’ folder inside that repo to see what the thing does ;)
  • I will also be attending Async ‘task force’, led by Yoric

This week:

  • bug 862401: finish that friggin’ unit test

  • more Australis work?
  • File a bug re mozAsync to add it to m-c

gijs

Last Week:

  • Landed fixes for video stats on aurora and beta (bug 845555)

  • Fixed Australis tab separators (bug 851009) with lots of help from fryn and MattN
  • Wrote an essentially working patch for bug 777674 to do anonymous content in devtools, spoke to dcamp about it, need to see if we can easily improve inIDeepTreewalker so that the devtools side of things is a bit simpler.
  • Wrote an essentially working patch for bug 833943 to migrate windows and tabs on profile reset, but am blocked by startup profile directory weirdness (bug 863570), waiting on bsmedberg in order to decide on a way forward there
  • Wrote a test for bug 763890 using the GTest framework. This took most of my time; GTest finnickiness means I need some help from bsmedberg on this one, too (to wit: no XPCOM, no windows can be shown, this breaks the migration code)
  • Picked up another Australis bug bug 850924, hit issues with the UX branch reset, may need to pass this to someone who knows more about what’s going on if MattN doesn’t have a quick answer.
  • Assortment of reddit/#firefox/incoming-bugs triage stuff.

This week:

  • Try and finish the profile reset issues I’ve picked up, depending on bsmedberg’s feedback and reviews (for tab/window stuff).

  • Try to finish the devtools stuff; dcamp is enthousiastic, need to polish and then land
  • Try to help with australis pending issues where I can / pointers from MattN
  • Meeting with the Dutch community on Saturday

MattN

Last week:

  • Supporting GSOC and discussed project with Felipe

  • Australis tabs
    • Finished LWT tab patch for Windows

    • r+ on focus rect
  • Popup Notification security delay changes in bug 841967
  • Reviews (doorhanger conversions

This week:

  • Australis tabs

  • Search reviews

Blockers

  • Quite a few Australis tab bugs depend on UI decisions (assigned/needinfo shorlander)

jaws

Last week:

  • Tried to run triages on Friday but ran in to a lack of quorum so will be rescheduling it for this week. With that being said, we still closed 23 bugs.

  • Spent a little time working on a fix for bug 853972 to switch to the notifying tab for desktop notifications, but put that work on hold for now.
  • Big discussion about customization for Australis
  • Lots of activity around GSoC, which applications have just opened up for. Felipe wrote some great blog posts about the projects.
  • Reviewed:
    • bug 845555 to fix the <video> statistics that got broken when XBL scopes landed

    • bug 862117 to fix a regression where the zoom cursors didn’t appear for framed images
    • bug 708814 to handle an edge case when fading out video controls due to no mouse movement
    • bug 863314 for the customization targets in the Australis having too much flex
    • bug 861409 to use a content script for page show events (e10s work)
    • bug 853615 to fix tearing a tab out breaking CTP
    • bug 549697 – Add CTP features to the add-on manager
    • bug 863082 – Prefpane links should open in a new window if prefpane is modal
    • bug 858016 – Double-clicking on a <video> should toggle fullscreen
  • Put up patches for:
    • bug 862886 – Subview anchors should have a visual clue

    • bug 573329 – Drop support for text and text+icons toolbar modes
    • bug 748029 – Default location bar font is too small
    • bug 863299 – Drop support for small icons mode
    • bug 861088 – Make subview widgets show their panel when in the navbar
  • Filed:
    • bug 862924 – Show a transition when entering/exiting DOM fullscreen

    • bug 864160 – “Learn More” should be on the same visual line as the doorhanger actions
    • bug 864811 – Remove use of :-moz-any as the right-most selector

This week:

  • Need to reschedule the bug triage

  • Rebase patch to remove toolbar modes and land on Jamun
  • Finish up subview patch for widgets in the toolbar
  • Finish patch to migrate smallicon users

mixedpuppy

last week:

  • landed some fhr

  • various small fixes

this week:

  • to honor Mark joining Firefox Team, felipe finished review of SocialMarks and it will land this week

  • should have ux for share this week
  • following webrtc apps ux meetings

waiting on:

  • ux for share

  • review of share

beta issue:

  • bug 864505 regression affects nightly through beta, though only Facebook depends on the chat windows at this time, will be working on a patch today/tomorrow. focus into chat window does not change selection of active chat window

UX Updates

lco

I can’t make the meeting today, but I just want to let you know that I’ll be on vacation in Munich from April 29 to May 7.

Decisions needed/Action items


Details

  • Tuesdays – 10:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Eastern, 17:00 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 91337
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 91337

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 91337
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 91337
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 91337
  • irc.mozilla.org #fx-team for backchannel
  • “Firefox” Vidyo Room

Mozilla Platform: 2013-04-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Actions

Notices/Schedule

  • FF 21.0b3 for Desktop/Mobile was Shipped last week

  • FF 21.0b4 for Desktop/Mobile going to build today , targeting release before Friday
33 bugs (33 bugs last week) 33 bugs (48 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 22 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 21 Trackers (non-security)

Key Issues

  • bug 863903 Disabling Fedora talos tests on mozilla-central & friends (catlee)

  • bug 657789 Disabling ~50 locales on mozilla-central, and migrating users to aurora (catlee)
  • birch continues to be used as a 2nd inbound for b2g development (catlee)
  • Infra Load Meeting every 2nd Thursday 13:00 PT. If you’re interested in infrastructure load, please come! (catlee)
    • If you know of builds/tests that aren’t required, PLEASE let us know so we can turn them off

    • Go to tbpl, “Tree Info” -> “Adjust Hidden Builders” to see what’s currently hidden.
Threads

Products/Projects

Firefox OS

  • work week in Madrid last week, hosted by Telefonica (thanks!)

  • almost 200 attendees from 9 partner companies
    • great contributions from all, many just starting and rocking it
  • lots of great discussions and workshops on performance, memory usage, test systems and infrastructure, etc.
  • Dietrich’s fancy dashboard for last week: http://people.mozilla.com/~dietrich/basecamp/madrid.html
    • we fixed 40 of the 59 v1.0.1 blockers (tef+) that existed before the work week

    • in total, 42 v1.0.1 blockers remain
    • lots of people scrutinizing the list to see if we can further trim the list of blockers
  • 8 issues preventing start of 2nd round of partner certification
    • came to agreement today to begin this certification despite blocker bugs
  • ongoing discussions about gecko version for 1.1, 1.2

Firefox Mobile

Blog Shout Out

Various ways to keep up on commits landing on m-c: https://staktrace.com/spout/entry.php?id=797

General
Usability, Responsiveness, and New Features
  • bug 730445 You can now change the default search engine landed in Fx23, check it out!

  • WebRTC still behind a build flag but being actively tested to flesh out issues prior to enabling
  • Progress on reflow-on-zoom continues with the landing of bug 803719 and bug 800805, proposed next steps for perf issues, here: bug 836565
  • This will make Android/Gonk code sharing a little easier: bug 864521 – Replace Fennec’s AndroidKeyEvent::KEYCODE enum with Android’s AKEYCODE enum
Stability Wins
  • bug 859100 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.BrowserToolbar.canToolbarHide(BrowserToolbar.java)

  • bug 859031 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.BrowserApp$8$1.run(BrowserApp.java)

Stability

  • bug 856670 (js::RemapWrapper) is our #2 crash on Aurora 22, something made the signature go away on Nightly but we’re not sure why. Benjamin Smedberg thinks something might have reduced sizes of thread pools (indexedDB? DOM workers?) or reduced stack frame size, or similar (see comment 28), does anyone know what happened there so we have a candidate for uplift?

  • Release crash rates are becoming quite low (1.63 yesterday – we consider everything below 2.0 to be “good”), multiple reasons – Flash 11.7 seems to be slightly better in hangs than 11.6, and then a number of signatures are down significantly in volume for unknown reasons, e.g. bug 812683 and bug 819028 (D3D11-6.2/Win7).

OrangeFactor

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 8.28 (Previous Week: 5.84) – 7.31 if bug 761987 is left out.

  • bug 846156 (ASSERTION: mArguments wasn’t cleaned up properly!: ‘!mArguments’) has many clones and hits across a variety of tests.
  • Still seeing many crashes [@ PL_DHashTableEnumerate] with “ASSERTION: (*(uint32_t*)(table->entryStore + ((uint32_t)1 << (32 – (table)->hashShift)) * table->entrySize)) > 0″ spread across many tests (i.e. bug 855185).
  • 15 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Performance [Bi-Weekly]

Memshrink [4th Tuesday of Month]

about:memory now has the ability to load and save memory reports as gzipped JSON. An improved UI and the ability to diff two profiles will be here soon.

Memory consumption on B2G is an ongoing concern. The amount of memory available to Gecko is a little over 100 MiB, so any app that misbehaves memory-wise can chew that up quickly.

MemShrink reports: week 93–94, week 95–96.

Roundtable


Platform Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-04-2311:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 98411

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Warp Core / SFO-Boardroom / Tor Commons
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

22-April-2013

Mozilla Project: 2013-04-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

  • Pierre-Louis Augier aka pl6025 for answering the huge amount of emails that arrived on the contribute-fr mailing list , nicely explaining to people what to do if they needed help or wanted to help.

  • Konstantina Papadea, Alexandros Mioglou and Thalia Papoutsaki (the team leader) for not only volunteering to help localize Facebook posts in Greek, but by also taking the initiative to start their new community Twitter account, @Firefox_GR (give them a follow!)
  • Team Aviary.PL for adding localizing Facebook posts in Polish to their Firefox to-do list.
  • Our long-time awesome social media volunteers from Mozilla Hispano, Mozilla PT, Mozilla DE, Mozilla ID. Thanks to all our super teams, we are now posting in 7 languages! Woot! for our social superstars!
  • Jake Watkins (dividehex) and Kim Moir (kmoir) For re-wiring all the panda boards so that they are less flaky!
  • Francisco Picolini (franc), Guillermo López (willyaranda), Rubén Martín (nukeador) & Mozilla Hispano for their support and participation at Saturday’s Firefox OS App Workshop in Madrid.
  • SUMO contributors satdav, feer56, zombie, espressive, tjovanovic, iNerd, ariestiyansyah, yalam96, pychen, hermina_condei, willyaranda, adampeebleswrites, Tonnes, Swarnava, and Scoobidiver for their awesome work on the Firefox OS User Guide
  • Last week’s B2G workweek was awesome. Literally. To make that happen, a bunch of invisible prep-work happened.

    • Nightly builds

      • now generate device builds for: Arm (panda boards), Otoro, Unagi, Unagi-ENG, Inari, Hamachi, Leo

      • for each of those devices, we generate “nightly” builds twice a day. Once for 8am PDT morning. Once for 8am Madrid CET morning.
      • … on each of mozilla-central, mozilla-b2g18, mozilla-b2g18_v1_0_1
    • Stood up an extra 250 slaves. More importantly, created 22 masters in AWS so we now have 70 masters and can quickly burst to create more slaves if needed.
    • Reimaged 80 in-house build & test machines to optimize for Firefox OS development based on recent usage trend.
    • Opened up an alternate to mozilla-inbound; birch allowed b2g-workweek developers a less crowded branch to land on.

All those change made a big difference. Last week, 1490 checkins were landed, and all systems held above 90% for the week!

Please give thanks to RelEng/ATeam/IT. specifically the following:

  • catlee, rail, hwine, armenzg (RelEng)

  • ctalbert, jmaher, jgriffin, edmorley, ryanvm (ATeam)
  • dmoore, arr, fox2mike, vin, jakem, solarce, sheeri, klibby (IT)

Upcoming Events

Tuesday, 23 April

Wednesday, 24 April

Thursday, 25 April

Friday, 26 April

Saturday, 27 April

Sunday, 28 April

Product Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: akeybl, MV

  • We’re halfway through the current cycle – only ~3wk left to put a bow on FF21 (make sure to test FHR!)

  • Also check out WebRTC demos on Aurora 22 – the targeted first release for WebRTC (currently converging)
  • The reunification of Desktop/B2G Gecko versions is being discussed (B2G workweek)

Firefox Mobile

Speaker Location: akeybl, MV

  • Firefox for Android is now on the Yandex.Store!

  • WebRTC ready for testing. Read about flipping the pref.
  • Front-end team is running a UI Hackathon this week. More details and current bug list.
  • Nightly treats: Domain auto-completion in the awesomebar, Caching search terms in the awesomebar and changing the default search provider.

Thunderbird

The project needs more people to use Thunderbird Beta – it can be obtained from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel/

Webmaker

No verbal update here — Lightning Presentation to follow

President Obama helps kick off our new summer campaign

Hacking at the White House: introducing Maker Party 2013

We’re extremely excited to be participating in today’s White House Science Fair — and even more excited to have President Obama help us kick off our new summer-long Maker Party: thousands of community-led events around the world to celebrate the amazing things we can make and learn thanks to the Web.

Firefox OS

Speaker Location: Dietrich (remote)

  • Successful workweek in Madrid last week!

    • Dashboard

    • 9 companies participated, nearly 200 people attended.
  • Next up for 1.0.1 release is certification: IOT, GCF, PTCRB, USB, WiFi, Bluetooth, CE, FCC.

Grow Mozilla

Speaker Location: San Francisco

Help us build a history of Mozilla told by Mozillians. Please share your memories about this Mozilla milestone:

Internet Public Policy

Speaker Location: Gerv (remote)

  • The Internet Public Policy module now has a Bugzilla product for tracking issues

  • File any suggestions for public policy issues Mozilla should be taking up (in any country) via our shiny new form

60 Seconds with Mozilla IT

Speaker Location: mrz in MV

  • Ever wonder what Mozilla IT is or what we do?

    • We keep the lights on.

    • We’re like your landlord – when the roof blows off, the ceiling leaks or the outside needs repainting, we do it. But we have no control over the furniture. Sometimes we see tenants on their way in or out or we’re called in when they’re having a loud party but other than that, we stay out of your way.
    • In other words, “we make sure the house is in good shape but we can always give tips about the indoors.”
    • If you want to have a loud party, let us know! We love parties!
  • File under “What you don’t see might be more important than what you do see”
    • Last week Mozilla suffered a huge multi-day outage with our fiber provider between Northern California and Arizona. It took down both fiber connections.

    • Everything failed over to the backup VPN.
    • I bet no one even knew this!

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
David Ascher Introducing Mozilla Hatchery “Hatchery Program for Innovation at Mozilla” Vancouver Didem Ersoz & Jinghua Zhang in Mountain View; Aaron Druck & Diane Bisgeier in San Francisco; Simon Wex in British Columbia & Paula LeDieu in London; https://blog.mozilla.org/labs/2013/04/announcing-mozilla-hatchery/ https://mozillalabs.com/en-US/hatchery/
John Slater Director of Creative “Plug for upcoming Firefox OS brown bag (and t-shirt giveaway)” San Francisco no screen share Stay tuned for more details coming via email.
Michelle Thorne Webmaker Mentor Team Maker Party 2013 Mozilla office, Berlin Yes Slides Maker Party 2013 announced today at the White House. Mozilla is hosting a global campaign to celebrate things we can make and learn on the web. Sign up for updates and to get involved.
Dino Anderson Organizational Development “Rosetta Stone Relaunch May 1 and 2″ San Francisco no screen share Rosetta Stone wiki Look for Rosetta Stone Relaunch reminder in e-mail.
Laura Thomson Webtools Engineering Manager YearUp Walk For Opportunity Remote (Maryland, US) No Walk For Opportunity website

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Daniel Coates Ben Adida Mountain View San Francisco Software Engineer, Identity
Michael Henretty Lucas Adamski Mountain View Mountain View Software Engineer
Matea Lisica Lori Jashinsky Mountain View Mountain View Workplace Resources Space Planner
Sakina Groth Chad Weiner Mountain View Charlotte, NC Product Marketing Manager, Apps Marketplace

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Benjamin Bouvier Luke Wagner Mountain View Mountain View Platform Engineering
Deian Stefan Dave Herman Mountain View San Francisco Research Engineering

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

QA

WebQA

Was a light week from the Engagement/Web Production projects’ side, due to their work week

Automation & Tools

  • B2G measurements using Eideticker are starting to arrive

  • Moving Autophone into AWS for future proofing our Fennec startup results dashboard (as well as making those numbers far more stable)
  • Working toward reducing orange factor for mobile platforms by aiding with the testing of the re-wired panda chassis and investigating robocop failures
  • Ran Infrastructure load focus group meeting — more information coming soon w.r.t. what our measurements will show and what we predict various proposed solutions’ impact to be.
  • For more information, please see our page

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600

17-April-2013

Mobile: 2013-04-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2013-05-13

  • Next release: 2013-05-14

Major Topics for This Week

Friends of the Mobile team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs.

  • capella fixed bug 848267 – Awesomebar loses correct tab selection

  • Justin Busby fixed bug 755240 – Scrolling axis lock is unbreakable (his first patch!!!)
  • David Hsu fixed bug 861205 – Add a fuzzyEquals helper to browser.js (also his first patch!!!)

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

Kats

  • Apr 10 – 17

    • bug 860613 – add some code to bind an APZC to a target scrollable layer

    • bug 860898 – add a –show-commands flag to mach build
    • bug 860940 – make creation of AndroidGeckoEvent instances sane
    • bug 748495 – reduce number of unnecessary resize events triggered
    • spent a lot of time trying to get a usable b2g debug build
    • spent some time going through AWSY data and filing regression bugs (862390, 862403)
  • Next

    • continue trying to debug bug 860162 (for which I needed the B2G build)

    • more bisecting of AWSY regressions
  • Blockers

GBrown

  • Done

    • Research (Shumway) work week

    • Contributed to bug 855130 Media Source Extensions API
    • bug 854863 20M regression in data size
  • Working on
    • bug 859563 GeckoEventExpecter instances are reused incorrectly

    • Panda test reliability
    • Re-enable more robocop tests
    • Turn on more xpcshell tests

Chris Lord (cwiiis)

  • Done

    • bug 859100 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.BrowserToolbar.canToolbarHide(BrowserToolbar.java)

    • bug 859031 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.BrowserApp$8$1.run(BrowserApp.java)
    • bug 861246 – Layer refactor broke async scrolling of fixed position margins
    • bug 856932 – Incorrect layer position when panning down to make the urlbar visible
    • bug 852955 – [AccessFu] Trying to activate items at top of pages brings up awesome bar or menu instead
    • bug 855240 – Regression: Video trailer playback on imdb.com is broken (still broken, but fixed other bugs with this patch)
    • Interviews
  • Now

    • bug 858969 – window.scrollTo() cannot ensure compatibility when dynamic toolbar is enabled

Chris Peterson

    • Fixed bug 861073 – Verify –with-android-version is at least 9

    • Fixed bug 861395 – Log the original exception stack trace and add some paranoid exception checks
    • Investigating using JS implementation of Push API on Android
    • Investigating topcrash bug 827407 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at com.adobe.flashplayer.FlashPaintSurface

JChen

  • Past week

    • ANR dashboard
  • Next
    • Go back to IME bugs

GCP

  • Last week

    • Landed Android WebRTC

    • Various bugs related to getting it landed
  • Next week

Brian N

  • Done

    • Bug 860454 – UpdateService failing with java.net.URISyntaxException

    • Bug 860523 – Move WebApps back to the generated Fennec namespace
    • Fixed and landed Bug 838793 – Convert AboutHomeContent to a Fragment
    • Fixed and landed Bug 859584 – Fix about:home thumbnail issues
    • Bug 862049 – setAccessibilityEnabled() isn’t called on the UI thread in GeckoAccessibility
  • In progress
    • Bug 861653 – Regression: Missing standard search engines
  • Next
    • Bug 703564 – Find some way to add email or even comments for crashes on Firefox for Android

Sriram

WesJ

‘Last week’

  • Bug 837132 – The ‘Remove’ action should make thumbnails never show up on about:home again… evar

  • Bug 815715 – Back button state not updated for history.pushState – watching for fallout from this
  • Bug 858340 – Domain autocompletion
  • Bug 858829 – Ship popular domains by default
  • Bug 778216 – create a pref that will show the full URL in the awesomebar instead of the title – changed to use Setings screen up for review again
  • Bug 857165 – Highlight domain name when we show urls – waiting for review
  • Bug 729463 – Implement switch-to-tab – fixing tests
  • Bug 859391 – Packaged apps using pushState/replaceState generate 404s

This week:

  • Bug 858829 – Ship popular domains by default

  • Bug 729463 – Implement switch-to-tab – fixing tests
  • Bug 813756 – Payments frontend for Android

LucasR

Last week

  • bug 814587 – Add “Add to Reading List” to link context menu

  • bug 784387 – Long press Reader Mode icon to add article to Reading List
  • Hacking on the transition manager
  • Many patch reviews

Next week

  • More reader mode hacking

  • More transition manager hacking

Margaret

  • Done

    • Don’t wait until shutdown to save search engine order – bug 858809

    • Unable to uninstall or disable added search engine – bug 862125
    • Add Serif/Sans Serif font toggle to Reader Mode – bug 857989
    • URL bar retains address entered after editing a top site on about:home – bug 860326
    • Selection is black if content isn’t focused when selection starts – bug 858323
    • Killed a bunch of unused files – bug 861005, bug 838368, bug 862440

Scott (jwir3)

Last Week:

  • bug 803719: Reflow-on-zoom should zoom in and snap to a piece of text landed.

  • bug 836565 (Part 1/2):Reflow-on-zoom performance issues landed.
  • bug 800805: Reflow-on-zoom snaps in too far to the left on cnn.com landed.

This Week:

  • More performance issues with reflow-on-zoom, improvements are going to be incremental.

  • bug 836568: Reflow-on-zoom has issues with events being queued up.
  • bug 847872: Reflow-on-zoom on double-tap only (start work on this).
  • bug 862763: Font inflation checking is showing up way too much (~15%) in profiles.

Other:

  • Reflow-on-zoom is significantly more stable now. Please feel free to try it again if you were frustrated before. Also, if you’re seeing performance issues (specifically on zoom-out), please try and get a profile and attach to bug 836565. Specific sites that are having unreasonable performance with reflow-on-zoom are also requested.

Ian Barlow

  • Last week

    • UX Summit in London, a good time was had by many
  • This week

    • Filed bunch of multipage about:home bugs

      • Will be adding more detailed mockups to these over the next couple of days

      • bug 862793 – [meta] Multipage About:home
      • bug 862806 – Swipeable panels on about:home
      • bug 862813 – Entry points into about:home
      • bug 862794 – About:home “visited” panel
      • bug 862796 – About:home “bookmarks” panel
      • bug 862798 – About:home “save for later” panel
      • bug 862799 – About:home “Add-ons” panel
      • bug 862801 – About:home Snippet
      • bug 862805 – Add support for custom panel add-ons on about:home
    • Settings re-org in progress https://etherpad.mozilla.org/settings-reorg
      • Feedback welcome
    • Rethinking the tab counter icon. It doesn’t work very well with the new single colour tab design.
  • Up next

    • Reader enhancements

      • Serif view

      • Rich preview of article
      • Update toolbar menu styling
      • Add a way to navigate through articles without going back to reading list
      • Add a way to add to reading list without entering reader mode
      • Figure out what to do for articles that Reader mode can’t parse

Round Table

Stability:

  • Nightly was instable since the 10th, having said that… it’s trending down due to the fixes that have landed recently: ( bug 861796, bug 860466, bug 858022 )

    • please be sure to update to the latest
  • not sure about the uplift of bug 858808 should we? shouldn’t we?

User Advocacy

No updates this week. We are looking at our goals and Mobile Roadmap for the rest of the year, along with our growing toolkit to maximize our work.


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress