Meeting Notes

28-August-2013

Mobile: 2013-08-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2013-09-16

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge.

  • Sushant fixed bug 891446 – Move Title rule down in Reader (thanks to nickecarlo for mentoring that bug!)

  • Dennis fixed bug 845747 – Mouse scrolling direction should be made preffable (his first patch!)

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

Kats

  • Last week

    • bug 906427 – disable pinch zooming for subframes (with bug 907977 follow-up)

    • bug 907906 – finish templating the gfx::Margin type
    • bug 885023 – convert FrameMetrics::mZoom to a CSSToScreenScale to simplify a bunch of code
    • got a working patch for bug 907754 to fix the initial zoom in subframes in the B2G browser, needs more testing and review
    • worked with irving to investigate the memory regression in bug 906747
    • filed bug 909877 and dependencies to turn on APZC in all of gaia. some WIP patches are attached to the dependency tree
  • Next week

    • Convert nsViewportInfo over to use proper units so I can figure out what’s actually going on there

    • Tackle bug 898444 because it is a bigger issue when trying to turn on APZC for all of gaia

JChen

  • Past week

    • Added thread name support to JimDB

    • Looked at bug 909974 – Compositor thread hang monitoring/telemetry
    • Looked at pdf.js
    • Uplifted bug 906506 – cant write danish letters in the new version
    • Mozilla Science Lab feedback
    • Interviews
  • Next
    • UA override reviews

    • Compositor hang and pdf.js
    • bug 909940 – Default keyboard on HTC One only swipes first word in awesome screen

Botond

  • Done

    • bug 898478 – “Provide some seamless scrolling mechanism in multi-APZC for B2G dynamic toolbar work”.

      • Trickier than it seemed at first blush.

      • Partial patch posted at bugzilla, together with a description of the remaining work.
      • Putting it on hold for a bit while I work on displayport bugs.
    • Starting to look at displayport bugs, starting with bug 908958 – “Scrolling misbehaviour with long iframe in B2G browser”.
  • Next

Brian N

  • Bug 906030 – Unable to start a Guest Session; menu item stuck on ‘Exit Guest Session’

  • Bug 896170 – Tabs are duplicated after going back to Firefox, when “Don’t keep activities” is enabled
  • Investigating R4 failures for bug 888482 (init gecko sooner)

Sriram

  • bug 862801 – about:home snippets are done.

  • bug 909375 – Better context menu headers.
  • bug 907188 – Footer divider for empty bookmarks.
  • bug 908569 – Experimenting removing MostVisitedPage.
  • bug 905328 – Remove url bar shadow.
  • bug 906822 – History page should have top dividers on tablets.
  • bug 909539 – “Off by one” error on history lists.

WesJ

  • bug 896121 Disable share in guest session.

  • Bug 885717 – The bookmark toast notification appears every time you tap on the screen
  • Bug 909853 – ContentDispatchChooser isn’t showing anything on links it can’t open. Bug 851693 – Allow loading URI Intents
  • Bug 901426 – Web Apps can not be opened from Firefox for Android notification and crashes Firefox
  • Bug 909547 – File Picker should avoid using temp files
  • WIP

    • Bug 909434 – Allow dragging the urlbar to open the tabs tray

    • Bug 909427 – Allow dragging from the tab indicator to a tab to switch tabs
    • Bug 909536 – Support suggestions from multiple providers

Shilpan

r+/landed

  • Bug 907592 – Lazy load View Pager when it’s not shown on startup

In progress

  • Bug 901824 – Use image cache for ‘Set Image As’

  • Bug 909550 – Lazy load tabs panel

Misc

  • Final presentation today!

  • Flying back at the end of this week :(
  • Continue wrapping bugs

Liuche

  • Fig cleanup + tests

  • Settings UI + reworking tests for conditional features

Margaret

  • Done

    • bug 904279 – Changing default search engine doesn’t change order of engines in awesomescreen

    • bug 908423 – Off-by-one error in bookmarks context menu
    • bug 907881 – Wrong context menu appearing on bookmark thumbnails
  • In Progress

    • Battling talos test crashes in bug 907720 – Intermittent crash in tcheck2

    • Wrote a patch (and a test!) for bug 908344 – Fix bookmark keywords
    • Started looking into bug 906041 – Newly opened pages replace about:home while editing mode is active
  • Next

    • PTO Thursday/Friday

    • Finish bug 905262 – JS API to add content to the promo banner

mcomella

  • Past

    • I built a keyboard stand!

    • Finished no bugs… :(
  • Present
    • bug 870925: (f+) Add submissions info to FHR documents

    • bug 870171: Expire old FHR data (taking a while…)
      • Part 1: (f+) Add deletion methods

      • Part 2: (f+) Consolidate Receivers
      • Part 3: (f?) Create prune service, using methods from part 1
      • Part 4: Followup tests to part 3
    • bug 909274: Unable to scroll through search engines
  • Future

RNewman

  • Reviews.

  • Arguing on mailing lists.
  • Desktop Sync protocol deprecation indicator (Bug 908461).

Feature Focus

More granular On Deck Categories to better reflect what’s happening: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Roadmap#On_deck

Fx27
  • [PROPOSED] (resurrecting) add-on ability to provide sound effects

  • [PROPOSED] directional console navigation
  • [PROPOSED] set top box optimization
  • [PROPOSED] WebApp experience
  • [PROPOSED] Privileged app support
Fx26
Fx25
Fx24

Round Table

  • Is everyone all set with work week travel? Sounds like product and eng management has the agenda covered?

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2013-08-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Beta (24)

  • We shipped Firefox 24 Beta 6 for Desktop yesterday

  • Our next beta for Desktop goes to build tomorrow and is planned to ship on Friday

Nightly (26)

  • New download manager back-end landed on Nightly: bug 825588. A bunch of followup issues need to be fixed, but the goal is better performance.

Firefox Metro

Iteration #13 – Completed

  • Team completed 50 story points across 26 features which resulted in a decreased average team velocity of 63 story points per iteration.

  • The decrease in average team velocity expanded the development complete forecast from Iteration #16 to Iteration #17 – October 28, 2013.
  • An evaluation will be conducted at the end of Iteration #14 if alternative strategies will be necessary for the Metro Preview Release.
  • QA achieved 99% coverage for the regression testing across Iterations #1 – #12.
  • Team achieved a 95% Pass Rate and a 5% Fail Rate during the Iterations #1 – #12 regression testing.

Iteration #14 – August 27 – September 10

ID Summary Priority Status
775739 [MP] Story – Touch scrolling in frames P1 ASSIGNED
886321 [MP] Story – APZC – Part III: Polishing P1 ASSIGNED
801187 [MP] Change – Theme tab-modal prompts to look good in Metro P1 ASSIGNED
831910 [MP] Story – Use the Auto-Complete Screen P1 ASSIGNED
892575 [MP] Story – Browser can display tab-modal, metro-styled prompts – Part II P1 ASSIGNED
891056 [MP] Defect – [8.1] Support “snapped view” in Windows 8.1 P2 ASSIGNED
900072 [MP] Defect – Line wrapping and layout issues in flyoutpanel localization P2 ASSIGNED
909019 [MP] Change – Clarify and simplify BrowserUI.newTab API P2 ASSIGNED
893066 [MP] Story – Initiate a file download and display the downloads app bar – Part III P2 ASSIGNED
906772 [MP] Defect – popup blocked notification bar is hidden behind the navbar P2 ASSIGNED
882142 [MP] Defect – Manual or disabled updates from Metro needs cleanup P2 ASSIGNED
893784 [MP] Defect – Metro update shutdown sometimes doesn’t spawn updater.exe P2 ASSIGNED
875924 [MP] Defect – Topsites Thumbnails do not always appear P2 ASSIGNED
903426 [MP] Change – In-content crash reporter prompt P2 ASSIGNED
845152 [MP] Story – NewUI – Access and dismiss the new Firefox app bar P1 RESOLVED
903740 [MP] Defect – Clicking the overlay back button doesn’t hide the tab strip P2 RESOLVED
907244 [MP] Defect – Opening a new tab when the page has focus doesn’t correctly focus the location bar P2 RESOLVED
831944 [MP] Story – Open downloaded file from downloads app bar P2 RESOLVED
898477 [MP] Story – Initiate a file download and display the downloads app bar – Part IV P2 RESOLVED
893961 [MP] Defect – Clean up metro sync strings P2 RESOLVED

Firefox Mobile

Beta (24)

Firefox 24 beta features

Aurora (25)

Firefox 25 Features

  • Also less than 2 crashes per 100 ADU

  • Fairly quiet, not tracking Fx25-specific uplifts

Nightly (26)

Firefox 26 Features

Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team

  • Google has deepened the integration between Android and its products by replacing the Messenger app with G+ Hangouts. The company announced further plans to connect the Google Drive service with the photos and videos app.

  • Amazon’s Silk browser was updated with a simplified interface and upgrades to the New Tab page. Other changes: a new tutorial, redesigned tabs, improved browser controls, simpler navigation options, and easier access to the Reading View feature. A Silk Developer Guide also comes with the update.
  • App developers in Indonesia are supported by Telkomsel, the country’s largest operator, through a program to promote locally developed apps on its channels and facilitate downloads through carrier billing.
  • AppinChina is a service that allows foreign developers to submit their apps to the numerous Chinese app stores and open up the market. The country’s app store market is particularly difficult to navigate not only because of language barriers, but also due to fragmentation.
  • Jolla closed its pre – sales campaign for the 399 Euros device it plans to release in early Q4. While not quoting exact numbers, the company suggested to have orders in the tens of thousands of units.
  • In terms of smartphone growth, Vietnam is the second fastest growing in the world, right after China, according to a report from Appota on the mobile market of Vietnam. Approximately 60 percent of revenue in the online mobile gaming market (an estimated $50 million) comes from gambling games, most from Vietnamese companies. 40 percent of revenue from online games is accrued by China-made titles. One of the most popular types of games is card gaming.
  • HP has declared to be looking at entering the smartphone market again. At this early stage, it is not possible to say whether HP will go with Android OS, but a comment by the HP director suggests that the company may choose to take a gamble on one of the smaller platforms in order to separate itself from the mass market.
  • Apple is reported to have acquired a Swedish start-up that specializes in media compression and that has extensive expertize in optimizing for low memory and processor constraints. This type of environment is characteristic to the lower – end of the mobile market, that Apple is rumoured to be preparing to enter. The company will be holding an event on the 10th of September.

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

PR

“Mozilla is taking new steps to make its mobile browser better anticipate what people might want to see when they start Firefox or tap its address bar.” – Stephen Shankland, CNET

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • Game Benchmarking Project producing first vetted results

    • Project measures benchmarks across different platforms we support on a weekly basis.

    • We currently test on Firefox and Chrome but intend to include all significant competitors.
    • Data is being gathered to help with both snapshots of current status and trend analysts per benchmark to track regressions and progress.
    • Games team is working with the Ateam to make this happen and we now have our first week’s results, Android only so far.
    • NOT yet for public use, we would like to have more data points before we send this out to the world to be sure the results are credible.
    • Data is available via a Mozilla wide shared Google Drive folder currently. In the short term, you need a mozilla.com account to access it but once it’s vetted as being solid, we intend to make that public.
    • To request benchmarks be added to the project, please contact Alan Kiligman or join us at one of the project meetings

Actions this week

  • joduinn – to book meeting with finkle,asa,marco to discuss metro on trains

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

27-August-2013

Firefox Status: 2013-08-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

General Topics

  • [jaws] Updated the Get Involved page. It should be more useful now, but please add more information to it.

  • Log4Moz is coming to toolkit soon? gps is pushing pretty hard to make it happen: bug 451283

Friends of the Firefox team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs.

  • Akshat Kedia for:

    • Bug 895429 – Change nooverflow attribute to overflows

    • Bug 885052 – Fullscreen-button can has pressed state in customization mode
  • Anup for Bug 880779 – Entering then exiting customization on Windows leaves the ‘customize-exiting’ attribute on the documentElement
  • BDZ for Bug 888115 – Consider renaming customizableui-areatype and customizableui-anchor attributes to something less verbose
  • Manish Goregaokar for Bug 887951 – Update panel menu button tooltip

Project Updates

Australis

  • tpaint and ts_paint regressions are ~1% in worst case for PGO builds, so these are wrapping up now

  • Focusing on tab animation tests now. The TART test is now feeding numbers into Datazilla, and we’ve got an idea of the target we’re trying to hit here.
  • While one or two of us get our heads wrapped around tab animation performance, some devs are shifting from performance back to behavioural bug fixing. Please watch for regressions on UX, and file bugs!
  • Notable bugs fixed within the last week:
    • bug 880388 – Show an accurate preview of the size of a widget when dragging a widget over a target in customization mode

    • bug 896887 – Hide the menu bar by default on Linux
    • bug 865916 – Create a Character Encoding widget and subview
  • UX branch bundle request: bug 909830

Thumbnailing

Foreground thumbnailing

  • addressed by patch in bug 906615 (below): bug 809051 – Limit how often we thumbnail the page using the foreground service

Background thumbnailing

  • landed, backed out due to test failure, investigating: bug 901294 – Unexpected downloading will be started by after every restart of the browser due to background thumbnailing

  • landed: bug 908060 – Choose a better size for the background thumbnail service’s browser
  • discussion, patch-review cycle ongoing: bug 906615 – Background thumbnail service shouldn’t overwrite existing thumbnails, or at least foreground thumbnails should be preferred
  • work ongoing: bug 902439 – New Tab Page launches User Identification Request dialog before page is selected
  • landed: bug 907350 – Intermittent browser_thumbnails_background.js failure
  • filed: bug 908962 – Investigate using bypass-history and -cache load flags in background thumbnail browser
  • filed: bug 908960 – Use a placeholder image when the background thumbnail service knows its thumbnail is bad

SessionStore

  • Landed a few code cleanup as usual.

  • Working hard on getting first e10s patches landed (bug 894595).
  • Very close to landing a patch that increases the data collection interval on battery power (bug 506975).
  • Working on landing telemetry measurements for the TabStateCache (bug 896545).
  • Global value (per-session) API will land later today (bug 899213).

Social API

  • close to landing last 3 major bugs for 26, should all happen this week

  • fixed (hopefully) a set of intermittent oranges
  • starting on a set of refactoring patches
  • will start to look at australis issues
 * toolbarbutton css
 * menu panel support

e10s

  • More fixes landed recently:

    • Support for <select> dropdowns, geolocation/web notifications prompt, focus/input issues on mac, some crashes
  • Ongoing work in:
    • session restore, alert/prompt support, adblockplus/other add-ons support, tab crashed page
  • We think it’s reaching a state where more people can start testing it
  • More details in the platform meeting

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 1 minute!

gavin

(gavin’s Status Board)

paolo

(paolo’s Status Board)

mak

(marco’s Status Board)

enn

(Neil’s Status Board)

felipe

(felipe’s Status Board)

mano

(Mano’s Status Board)

ttaubert

(Tim’s Status Board)

adw

(Drew’s Status Board)

markh

(Mark’s Status Board)

smacleod

(Steven’s Status Board)

dolske

(dolske’s Status Board)

mconley

(Mike’s Status Board)

mikedeboer

(Mike’s Status Board)

gijs

(gijs’ Status Board)

Unfocused

(Blair’s Status Board)

MattN

(MattN’s Status Board)

jaws

(jaws’s Status Board)

mixedpuppy

(mixedpuppy’s Status Board)


Details

  • Tuesdays – 10:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Eastern, 17:00 UTC

  • Handy local meeting time link
  • Dial-in: conference# 91337
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 91337

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 91337
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 91337
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 91337
  • irc.mozilla.org #fx-team for backchannel
  • “Firefox” Vidyo Room

Mozilla Platform: 2013-08-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • bug 874108 (from last week) – Some discussion in bug, still no owner.

  • test_focus_autocomplete.xul (from last week) disabled on trunk. Will land on Aurora/Beta as well.
  • bug 686828 (from two weeks ago) remains a top failure across all branches. Last comment in bug says it needs a different owner.
Stability
Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (akeybl/lsblakk/bajaj)

Next Merge: September 16, 2013 Next Release: September 17, 2013
Trains
Central: 26 Aurora: 25 Beta: 24 Release: 23
  • Firefox 24b6 Desktop and Mobile shipping today
39 bugs (41 bugs last week) 36 bugs (66 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 25 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 24 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
<Read Only>

  • There was a Windows-only dependency bustage for C++ files over the weekend. If you aren’t seeing proper build dependencies, pull central and perform a clobber build.

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Key Issues

(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

<Read Only>

The team are in Paris for a meet up this week

App Tools (dtownsend)

<Read Only>

The team are in Paris for a meet up this week

Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)

  • Australis

    • tpaint/ts_paint regressions have been eliminated, thanks to great work from the Australis team, and support from the perf team and mstange

    • focus is on TART now
  • SessionStore
    • e10s-friendly approach to splitting the collection work into smaller chunks is close to landing: bug 894595

    • using the battery API to modify collection intervals: bug 506975

Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)

<Read Only>

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • Continued APZC work for B2G & Metro. Landed bug 895905, bug 898580. WIP for b2g: bug 898478

  • bug 880259 GeckoView is now actually landed for Fx26
  • Also a WIP for B2G, UA override bug 897221
  • SkiaGL fixups
  • Landed UI rewrite! See articles for the new about:home in the “Good Reads” section

Firefox OS Browser (benfrancis standing in for blassey)

Recently landed:

  • bug 840210 – Customise search engine at build time

  • bug 808732 – Enable user to choose search engine

Working on:

Firefox OS Communications (scravag)

<Read Only>

List of demoed features:

Features in progress

  • Conference Call up to 5 attendees

    • API has been validated

    • Dialer modification in progress
  • FDN
    • Settings part is almost finished

Remaining Comms App leo+

  • 5

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)

<Read Only>

  • Last week

    • Porting FxOS to allwinner platform (JB4.2.2 porting) for flatfish project.

    • To fix leo+/hd+ bugs.
    • BT – HFP for CDMA
    • BT – Integration test between Gecko & Gaia for AVRCP
    • BT – Bluetooth socket on Bluedroid.
  • This week

    • The same with last week.

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week

  • This Week

    • Wrap up some of the 1.2 must-have/nice-to-have features (music status icon/displaying now-playing info on utility tray/display extra info on videos/Disabling ADB connection when device is locked).

    • Prioritize the feature gaps in the new music app and figure out a plan to address them.
    • Continue working on the forward lock implementation
    • Plan our next sprint for 1.2

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • Last week

    • Media Recording bug 888177 – [meta] Implement ImageCapture API

    • WebRTC bug 853356 – [B2G getUserMedia] Display camera/ microphone permission acquisition prompt
    • B2G Gfx bug 905589 – Enable hw composer for flatfish
    • B2G Gfx bug 899798 – [B2G] With Skia/GL, canvases get re-composited with B and R channels swapped
    • B2G Gfx bug 907109 – [B2G] LayerTree analysis for b2g homescreen
  • This week

    • Media Recording bug 888177 – [meta] Implement ImageCapture API

    • Media Recording bug 891704 – [MediaEncoder] Implement MP4Writer, migrate stagefright mp4 muxer
    • B2G Gfx bug 908033 – [META] Render profiler suite

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

<Read Only>

Bug List

Last Week

This Week:

  • We’re in Toronto right now for our workweek! (August 26-29)

Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)

<Read Only>

Current sprint tracking and bug shortlist:

Notable current efforts

  • Periodic e-mail synchronization with notifications work ongoing

  • Fixing backlog of e-mail UI and back-end bugs

Firefox OS Radio/GPS (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • Bugs list, http://goo.gl/0qGqtN

  • Last week
    • Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.

    • CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, OTASP, CDMA subscription information, cell broadcast, information record, and ECB.
    • WAP Push, to implmenet the display function.
    • NFC, to implement the NFC deamon and communication protocol.
    • WPA-EAP, to implement the importing key function.
    • WIFI-Direct, to rebase the WIFI-Direct patches and implement test app.
  • This week
    • Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.

    • CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, CDMA subscription information, and information record.
    • WAP Push, to implmenet the display function.
    • NFC, to have a work week in Mountain View.
    • WPA-EAP, to implement the importing key function.
    • WIFI-Direct, to implement wifi-direct state machine.

Firefox OS Systems – Front End (gwagner)

<Read Only>

  • Fixing last leo+ bugs: 905927

  • Notification: Replacing landed. Working on closing and getting all notifications.
  • Customization: Bookmarks done, working on contacts, background image.
  • Offline Error: Replacing blue screen.

Firefox OS Systems – Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

  • Gaia for Tablet: low risk patches to start landing this week.

  • 3rd-party keyboards framework: on-going, encounter some B2G/Desktop specific racing issue.
  • Simplified Chinese IME: no update this week.
  • Gaia build script: First patch in review.
  • Window management upgrade: No patch landed last week because of leo+ work.
  • Gaia for qHD/WVGA: no update
  • CDMA phone support: Settings app changes in review, dialer app changes need more detail before eng. work.
  • BT feature support: working on inline paring spec discussion and BT Certification issues

Read more about our on-going work here.

GFX (milan)

  • Dealing with B2G regressions. Lifetime problems have been exposed by large changes over the past four months, but are only surfacing recently, and there are no easy fixes, including back outs at this point.

  • Australis performance – no capacity to take this on, outside of a general “Windows performance”, so we need to all coordinate to make sure the right things are being looked at.

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

  • Identity sign-in in FirefoxOS FTE

    • Targeting FirefoxOS 1.3

    • jgruen + skinny in SF next week to work with FxOS UX team
    • pdol connecting jedp + zaach with TEF engineers
  • WebRTC + Persona bug 878941
  • Persona in Desktop Firefox
    • ozten leading
  • FirefoxOS Identity – squashing bugs

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week

    • Compiler (JIT)

    • Garbage Collection
      • Have rooting static analysis running on build slave (“tbpl static analysis”) via buildbot

      • bug 906940: Exact Rooting API
    • Front End and Other
  • Blockers
    • None

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Daala – coding party in MV Sept 30th to Oct 3rd — if interested, contact Maire (mreavy@mozilla.com)

  • WebRTC
    • Recently landed latency/drift reduction for WebRTC calls (bug 884365)

    • About to land update to webrtc.org import (to version 3.34, used in Chrome 29)
    • Starting to land Mozilla Telemetry and WebRTC stats API
    • More audio latency and AEC improvements coming, and audio quality tracking
    • Working on CPU overload detection and adaptation
  • Media Source Extensions is progressing but there is still much to do.

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • debugging race conditions with delivering OnDataAvailable to ImageLib.

  • new HTTP cache:
    • figuring out how to handle hitting corrupt entries mid-way through reading

    • Eviction up next
  • 1st patches for predictive logic (“seer”) are up for review

Performance (vladan)

No update

Seceng (mmc)

No update.

WebAPI (overholt)

No update

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

  • Justin Lebar is leaving Mozilla.

    • Looking back, nobody has contributed more to MemShrink over the past two years.

    • Looking forward, Justin has been in charge of MemShrink on B2G (e.g. see the etherpad he was maintaining) and knows more about B2G memory consumption than anyone else. With plenty of memory-related problems remaining on B2G, this is a hole that desperately needs filling.
    • We have transition plans: khuey is going take over.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 5.34 (Previous Week: 6.99).

  • bug 686828 and “code -20″ failures are top remaining issues on Fx24.
    • Bug 686828 needs an owner (see above).

    • smichaud has a libevent patch in bug 884471 that works around code -20 failures. Landed on inbound today hoping for eventual uplift to Aurora/Beta.
  • *32* intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • cross-team workweek was last week: still digesting action items and such, but:

    • Kicking off a “stability support” project to auto-fix stability issues if possible and help users recover if not.

    • Status of “the AMD crasher”: David Major has been thrown into the lion’s den, and can reproduce this intermittently on a QA computer, but no definitive answers yet.
    • bsmedberg is working on doing better crash and hang collection from B2G builds
    • If you haven’t seen the crash-stats API, check it out, see the brownbag video, or ask questions on tools.socorro.
    • gps is working on improving the quality of the crash data sent to FHR
  • gfritzsche is finishing up a patch in bug 853864 which will log and profile IPC messages, and is then going to work on making Java out-of-process again.
  • The AMD crasher hit FF 23 without any forewarning, so the current system of building two release candidates is being abandoned. We are seriously looking into sending the release candidate to the beta population (need to figure out some MAR signing details and test).

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

e10s Update (billm/dvander)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were lots of great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work!

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From Today’s Meeting

[1:59pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-08-27
[1:59pm] jdm: is the platform on air mozilla? it doesn't show up in the upcoming list
[1:59pm] Waldo joined the chat room.
[1:59pm] milan_ joined the chat room.
[1:59pm] joduinn-commute is now known as joduinn-mtg.
[2:00pm] overholt: jdm, it will be in a minute
[2:00pm] jdm: ok
[2:00pm] Waldo: huh, dvander and billm, wonder what the occasion is
[2:00pm] curtisk|afk is now known as curtisk.
[2:00pm] jjensen joined the chat room.
[2:00pm] milan left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:00pm] lmandel: Waldo: See the bottom of the agenda
[2:00pm] milan_ left the chat room. (Connection reset by peer)
[2:00pm] milan joined the chat room.
[2:01pm] bmoss left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:01pm] Waldo: ah
[2:01pm] • Waldo is enlightened
[2:01pm] • abillings bows before Waldo
[2:01pm] Waldo: hmm?
[2:01pm] Lucas left the chat room. (Quit: Lucas)
[2:02pm] dhylands joined the chat room.
[2:02pm] mcote joined the chat room.
[2:02pm] bmoss joined the chat room.
[2:02pm] lmandel: jdm: air mozilla event is up
[2:03pm] RyanVM|Sheriff joined the chat room.
[2:03pm] jdm: thanks
[2:03pm] Waldo: meow
[2:03pm] KaiRo: bsmedberg: are you going to voice the stability update, or should I, or do you want it as read-only?
[2:03pm] bsmedberg: I'll do it
[2:03pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: w00t, not the last to arrive
[2:03pm] Waldo: heh
[2:04pm] KaiRo: lmandel: ok, so we have a voice update from stability and bsmedberg is doing it
[2:04pm] lmandel: KaiRo: thanks
[2:04pm] jdm: shame that air mozilla is showing a placeholder 
[2:04pm] lmandel: jdm: We're holding
[2:04pm] Waldo: we need better elevator music
[2:04pm] jdm: ah
[2:05pm] jedp is now known as jedp|mtg.
[2:05pm] benfrancis joined the chat room.
[2:06pm] johnath: jduell: bug 898156
[2:06pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=898156 cri, --, ---, nobody, NEW, crash in Background thumbnail generation @ mozilla::net::FTPChannelParent::OnStartRequest
[2:07pm] Lucas joined the chat room.
[2:08pm] breck left the chat room. (Client exited)
[2:09pm] johnath: gavin: would it be worthwhile to generalize bug 506975 to apply to all idle-timer stuff?
[2:09pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=506975 enh, --, ---, nobody, NEW, [Session Restore] Write sessionstore.js less often when on battery
[2:09pm] laura: lmandel: sorry, nothing to call out though
[2:09pm] lmandel: laura: thanks. glad you got your power issues worked out.
[2:10pm] gavin: johnath: perhaps!
[2:11pm] Lucas left the chat room. (Quit: Lucas)
[2:11pm] gavin: probably depends a lot on the specific uses
[2:11pm] gavin: idle-timer stuff tends to not be that frequent
[2:11pm] johnath: gavin: made me think about bug 900039 and maybe adjusting the "background tab timer throttling" when on battery
[2:11pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=900039 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Background tab activity causing unnecessary favicon/title repaints
[2:11pm] lmandel: RyanVM|Sheriff: any audibles
[2:11pm] lmandel: ?
[2:11pm] kbrosnan: note there is bug 909041 for FxA but I don't think we want it unless there is a way to check for low battery
[2:11pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=909041 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Write to SessionStore less while on battery
[2:12pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: lmandel: nope, got the r+ I was fishing for 
[2:13pm] Lucas joined the chat room.
[2:13pm] catlee: huzzah!
[2:13pm] Waldo: repro is good
[2:13pm] lmandel: Any questions? Round table items?
[2:13pm] Waldo: if you're in MV, he sits near the JS pit, roughly
[2:13pm] gavin: johnath: ah, yeah, that's a good idea. want to file it? 
[2:13pm] johnath: gavin: will do
[2:14pm] KaiRo: we should get that video edited
[2:14pm] Waldo: <cue jeopardy music>
[2:15pm] Preeti joined the chat room.
[2:15pm] benfrancis2 joined the chat room.
[2:15pm] Waldo: woo e10s
[2:15pm] kbrosnan: Fennec had it first 
[2:15pm] Waldo: heh
[2:18pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: bajaj: just landed the hopeful "code -20" fix on inbound - should give us some bake time 
[2:19pm] bajaj: RyanVM|Sheriff: cool, feel free to ping when ready for uplift
[2:19pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: \o/
[2:19pm] jesup: Have you tried it with WebRTC (or thought about it)?
[2:19pm] bajaj: RyanVM|Sheriff: Its needed on aurora as well, right ?
[2:19pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: yes
[2:20pm] johnath: gavin: bug 909864
[2:20pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=909864 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Throttle background timers more when on battery
[2:21pm] evilpie: maybe we should make a youtube video
[2:21pm] kohei-galaxy joined the chat room.
[2:22pm] KaiRo: e10s is heavily wanted for security, but resonsiveness/performance and even stability should profit heavily (crashing a page will not crash the browser, running OOM on a page will probably not take down the whole process)

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-08-2711:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 98411

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

26-August-2013

Mozilla Project: 2013-08-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of the Tree

  • Front-end Australis team for their focus on performance and recent perf related sucesses

Upcoming Events

This Week

This Week On Air Mozilla

Monday, 26 August

  • MAKER PARTY: Chicago, USA: Five day Project Wishcraft: Felt Sew Silly Grades K -5 workshop is a mash-up of Feltville and Sewn Silly camps from earlier this season, campers wrap-up summer by making a set of playthings that will keep them happily busy indoors when the weather gets chilly. Hand-sewing and embroidery are taught in this full-day camp. No previous sewing experience is required and those with experience take on new challenges.
  • MAKER PARTY: Dresden, Germany: The Webmaker Weiterbildung workshop is for members of the Medienbildung Netzwerk in Dresden to level up their web skills and learn how to #teachtheweb. They’ll learn how to use Webmaker tools, how to integrate them into other projects and programs participants are organizing and working on, more about the open ethos and ways that participants can get involved with the Webmaker Mentor Community. They’ll also talk about localizing pieces and parts of Webmaker for German speakers and how we can work together to bring a maker ethos and the web to Dresden’s learning offerings.
  • MAKER PARTY: Durgapur, India: Hack Jam @ BCREC will introduce participants to Mozilla and its introduction to Webmaker project, introduction and Demo on FirefoxOS paper prototyping (draw your idea for web/app/popcorn), and hands on session with webmaker tools (remix websites with the X-Ray Goggles and hack the web with Thimble). Students who attend this event will range from people who are very new to webmaking to engineering students of Durgapur.

Tuesday, 27 August

  • MAKER PARTY: Chapai Nawabganj, Bangladesh: Three day Mozilla @ Chapai Nawabgonj workshop is a Mozilla Awareness event at Imperial Polytechnic Institute on 28/08/13. In this event we will talk about Mozilla, its mission, Mozilla Bangladesh, open web, Firefox OS, SuMo, Webmaker, how to contribute to Mozilla etc. On 29/08/13 there will be a maker party at Harimohan Govt. High School.
  • Intern presentations in 10 Forward and Air Mozilla at 1-2:30pm PDT: Samvedana Gohil, Shuhao Wu, Vaidik Kapoor.

Wednesday, 28 August

  • Mozilla Reps Camp 28th – 1st: Madrid, SPAIN: Leadership of the Mozilla Reps program, comprised of Council members and Reps mentors, will meet for 3 days in Madrid, Spain, from August 30th to September 1st, 2013. The meeting will be comprised of presentations, breakout sessions and discussions to draft the 2013/2014 Mozilla Reps program roadmap. This will be a the second time the entire program leadership meet and work together in person, the first being in Berlin in 2012.
  • Intern presentations in the 1st floor SF Commons and Air Mozilla at 1:30-3:30pm PDT: Shilpan Bhagat, Tanay Delima, Vlad Filippov, Jonathan Wilde.
  • Ryan Seys’s intern presentation will be presented from the Paris conference room Apero at 2pm CET (5am PDT). It will be recorded and posted on Air Mozilla.

Thursday, 29 August

  • MAKER PARTY: Buenos Aires, Argentina: Three day Hacks/Hackers Media Party: Rebooting journalism will bring together journalists, software programmers and designers from three continents to work together towards the future of the media. In this second edition of the Media Party, we hope for increased exposure, international attendance and workshop offerings. Among attendees will be representatives of multidisciplinary teams from The New York Times, Boston Globe and Zeit Online, among others; six news innovation winners from the Knight Foundation and four from the African News Innovation Challenge; Knight Fellows from the International Center For Journalists (ICFJ); and regional editors. Among invited participants are Jacqui Maher and Brian Abelson (New York Times), Brian Boyer (NPR), Joe Germuska (Knight Lab), Ted Han (Document Cloud), Annabel Church (Zeit Online), Stijn Debrouwere (The Guardian), Friedrich Lindenberg (Spiegel Online), Sonya Song (Boston Globe), Mike Tigas (Propublica), Noah Veltman (BBC), Manuel Aristarán (La Nación), Justin Arenstein (AMI), Miguel Paz (Poderopedia), Mariana Santos (La Nación Costa Rica), and others.
  • MAKER PARTY: Chapai Nawabganj, Bangladesh: Webmaker @ Harimohan School will be the first webmaker event at Bangladesh with school kids. The venue is far away from the capital. The school facilitates internet connection to the student also.
  • MAKER PARTY: Toronto, Canada: BabyMaker Party. Join the BabyMaker Party Make your baby’s first website or your first baby website. Don’t have a baby in your life? That’s okay, this “baby” doesn’t have to be a real baby – let’s make a website for whatever it is you love. We’ll be using the Mozilla Webmaker tool Thimble to “remix” a baby website, along the way teaching some basics of coding with HTML and CSS. This event is FREE. Just spend a couple hours of your evening being silly and learning something new with other awesome, baby-lovin’ people.
  • Air Mozilla brownbag Payments in the marketplace: Want to get paid for your work on apps? Then you’ll need to know about how payments work in the Marketplace. This covers paid apps and in-app payments steps through what developers will need to implement in order to accept payments from users.

Friday, 30 August

Saturday, 31 August

  • MAKER PARTY: Nairobi, Kenya: Two day Maker Party _ Go Down Art Centre will be teaching teenage youths, most of whom are digital design students and are familiar with web technologies and tools but are definitely not gurus or experts in this field. The hope is to add something useful to their learning life, something that will ease or maybe smooth-en everything, using the awesome web leaning tools developed by the Mozilla Webmaker Community.
  • MAKER PARTY: Nashik, India: Nashik Web Makers. In Nashik Webmaker chapter people can learn, Interact and share various information and details about Mozilla Organizations current projects, Webmaker and obviously about firefox OS.And together have a great fun with learning experiment.
  • MAKER PARTY: Andhra Pradesh, India: MozoGoggles. This webmaker party is being organised to create awareness to a few sets of people who are really interested about the WEB. It will feature Thimble, which will be we explained in detail.

Product Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

Firefox Mobile

Speaker Location: remote (mfinkle)

  • More work continues on the new Home page. Check it out in Nightly (bug 862793)

    • Well received by the Android community

    • Looking into performance and fixing up tests
    • Planning UI hooks for add-ons (banners and widgets)
  • Page action support for associated native app (bug 899376)
  • Packaging Gecko as an Android library (bug 880118 and doc)

Firefox OS

Speaker Location: remote (pdol)

Grow Mozilla

Speaker Location: San Francisco

Help us build a history of Mozilla told by Mozillians. Please share your memories about this Mozilla milestone:

60 Seconds with Mozilla IT

Speaker Location: San Francisco

The 6 week maintenance window!

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Kate Naszradi Summit Communications Director Summit Weekly Updates San Francisco No Summit Registration Page,

Registration questions: mozillasummit[at]shworldwide[dot]com,
Summit hash-tag: #mozsummit, Internal email: summit2013[at]mozilla[dot]com, Sign-up to be a Site Host

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?
Satdav and a contributor? I would like to ask about policys if possible. Does Mozilla have a open opertunities policy or one to do with disabilities ?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians!

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Axel Kratel Bill Maggs Mountain View Mountain View Product Manager, Developer Tools
Jeff Bryner Joe Stevensen Mountain View Portland Security Engineer
Ho Wai Lam Stephen Horlander Vancouver Vancouver Visual Designer
Urmika Devi Denelle Dixon-Thayer San Francisco San Francisco Corporate Counsel
Michael Taylor Lawrence Mandel Toronto Remote – TX Web Compatibility Engineer
Jukka Jylänki Martin Best Toronto, Office Finland Senior Platform Engineer
Jenna Connell Jill Alvarez San Francisco Remote – NY University Recruiter

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Engagement

PR

“Overall then, the ZTE Open with Firefox is an interesting first look at the potential of Firefox OS. It’s not the world’s most amazing phone by a long shot, but I would never bet against the open web and with that at the core of Firefox OS, the operating system definitely has a chance to be successful in the long run.” – Frederic Lardinois, TechCrunch

“The Firefox OS itself is a sort-of halfway house between iOS and Android, but without a widget-heavy home screen. It certainly looks to have potential.” – Hunter Skipworth, Digital Spy

Mozilla’s Firefox OS Gives The Open Web Top Billing On Mobile, TechCrunch

ZTE Open Firefox phone: Going hands-on with the sold-out handset, Digital Spy

Firefox for Android gets new ‘awesomescreen’ interface, CNET

Mozilla previews new, cleaner Firefox for Android UI on Nightly build, Engadget

Mozilla ‘Plug-n-Hack’ project aims for tighter security tool integration, Computerworld

Firefox Metro for Windows 8 to Go Public in December, Tom’s Hardware


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 8600

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600

21-August-2013

Mobile: 2013-08-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2013-09-16

Topics for This Week

New Home Page
The new Home page redesign landed on Nightly this morning. We repsun the Nightly, so people will start getting it today. Lucas blogged about the work.

Restyled Error Pages
Wes landed fancy new error pages and fixed a few bugs along the way.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

Kats

  • Last week

    • Landed patch for bug 901962 (to make things outside the CSS viewport clickable)

    • Fixed bug 898877 (prevent getting stuck without dynamic toolbar on Fennec)
    • Fixed bug 906109 (make APZC realize when touch points are lifted unexpectedly)
    • Fixed bug 907372 (fix incorrect comment in FrameMetrics.h)
    • Fixed bug 898443 (focus model for multi-APZC)
    • Did some investigation on bug 906747 (AWSY regression from some addon manager patches)
  • Coming up:

    • Bug 906427 (disallow pinch-zooming for subframes)

    • Bug 885023 (change representation of user zoom in FrameMetrics) so I can fix bug 899100 (make mCompositionBounds consistent) so I can fix bug 907754 (narrow iframes render incorrectly in the B2G browser)

Shane Tully

  • bug 897924 – Disabled contacts tests on Android 2.2 due to intermittent test failures

    • Enabled on Android 4.0+ to avoid regressions
  • bug 880118 – Package GeckoView into an Android library project

    • Patches being reviewed

    • Landing soon?

This week:

JChen

  • Past week

    • Investigated bug 903011 – Firefox still seems to be unresponsive occasionally when starting with the profiler

    • Added support for symbols when debugging Nightly/Aurora in JimDB
    • Worked on bug 906506 – cant write danish letters in the new version?
    • Worked on bug 901085 – Test for UserAgentOverrides.jsm (bug 782453)
    • Looked into bug 905343 – Send device model with UA update query (but WONTFIX for now)
    • Looked at security bug
  • Next
    • UA override reviews

    • Profiler
    • Interview

GCP

  • Last week:

    • bug 902000 Add a service that monitors the system load

    • bug 898767 crash in mozilla::DecoderTraits::CanHandleMediaType
  • Next week:
    • bug 898767 crash in mozilla::DecoderTraits::CanHandleMediaType

    • bug 877954 Adapt video encode resolution & framerate according to available bandwidth and CPU use

Botond

  • Done

    • Resolved remaining issues with, and landed, bug 895905 – “Contents needs to inform APZC about scroll events on B2G”.

    • Landed bug 898580 – “Contents needs to inform APZC about scroll events on Metro” in m-i.
    • Posted patch with Gaia changes for bug 860812 – “[Browser] Make hiding address bar work more like Fennec Nightly”.
    • Began working on bug 898478 – “Provide some seamless scrolling mechanism in multi-APZC for B2G dynamic toolbar work”, one of the platform dependencies of bug 860812. Posted the first of a series of several patches.
  • Next

Brian N

  • Bug 904741 – Change session restore pref to have *two* states

  • Bug 905371 – Remove session restore prefs from Fx25
  • Patch in Bug 888482 – init gecko sooner
  • Updated session restore tests to run again; now fixing remaining intermittents

Sriram

  • bug 862801 – About:home snippets.

  • bug 905328 – Remove url bar shadows.
  • bug 906822 – History page on tablets should show dividers.
  • Discussions with Romain Guy and experimenting with FadedTextView.

WesJ

Some back and forth on:

  • 889620 – ]FIG] Transition for creating a new tab from the tab tray

  • Bug 904245 – Lag when drawing with the S-Pen on a canvas (Galaxy Note)
  • Bug 901426 – Web Apps can not be opened from Firefox for Android notification and crashes Firefox

Shilpan

r+/landed

  • Bug 900234: Force reader to always be the left most icon in page actions

  • Bug 882322: Find in page bar does not change selection color when set to private mode

In progress

  • Bug 907592: Lazy load View Pager when it’s not shown on startup

  • Bug 894887: Investigate using a symlinked profile folder instead of using profiles.ini
  • Bug 886925: initial INIParser.parse to find default profile name at startup takes 75ms on a galaxy nexus
  • Bug 899376: PageAction for helper apps

This week

  • Figuring out what to present next week

  • Bug 906952: [meta] Investigate using ViewStubs to speed startup.
  • Wrapping up bugs

LucasR

Last week

  • Landed fig to m-c (and the all associated pain)

  • Blogged about new UI: http://lucasr.org/?p=3842
  • Started a little research on a possible new UI testing API

Next week

  • Gradually land all ported tests in fig

  • More about:home hacking

Liuche

Margaret

  • Done

    • bug 906718 – Pressing BACK should move the user up in the bookmark folder hierarchy

    • bug 885084 – Only return top bookmarks for bookmarks page thumbnails
    • bug 897772 – Get a favicon when creating a homescreen shortcut from the about:home context menu
    • bug 907172 – Desktop bookmarks aren’t displayed after syncing until app restarts
    • Prototyping about:home add-on customization APIs – bug 848242 and bug 905262

Chris Kitching

  • This week

    • bug 897772 – Still segfaulting

    • bug 794981 – Differently segfaulting.
    • bug 709230 – Still blocked on the above…
    • bug 892125/bug 892136 – Inching forward – now with more UI and fewer NPEs.
    • bug 895423 – Found yet another edgecase to sort out. Possibly found regression added this week. Investigating.
  • Next

Same as last week – make things less broken and more awesome. (And ostensibly more concise.)

mcomella

  • Past

    • bug 904122: [fig] Scrolling on search suggestions page does not dismiss the keyboard
  • Present
    • bug 870925: (f+) Add submissions info to FHR documents

    • bug 870171: Expire old FHR data (taking a while…)
      • Part 1: (f+) Add deletion methods

      • Part 2: (f+) Consolidate Receivers
      • Part 3: Create prune service, using methods from part 1
  • Future

RNewman

  • Prepping for Sync protocol upgrade path.

  • Android crypto work.
  • Misc PiCL.
  • SF chats with everyone.
  • The usual reviews etc.

nalexander

First steps on the next-gen Sync path:

BLassey

  • reviews

  • PTO Monday and Friday
  • WIP patch for tab sharing bug 742832
  • actually, finally, landed bug 880259, Firefox should use GeckoView

MFinkle

  • Got a simple tab mirroring patch working

  • Prepping FxMetro for preview release
  • Manager stuff

Ian Barlow

  • Omg so many awesome things landing <3

  • New Awesomescreen in Nightly!!! \o/
    • Keeping an eye on feedback

    • Planning some light usability testing now that we’re more stable
    • Going through UI with a fine tooth comb
  • Doing a final UX pass on Guest browsing to make sure we’re good to ship
  • Research on Kinderfox work
  • Research on FirstRun work
  • Working with Arun, getting some mobile PDF.js designs going

Feature Focus

  • Are we good with a ‘WIP’ section to indicate work happening but not committed to a release for things like GeckoView and game console stuff (this is different from ‘On Deck’)

  • On Deck, should I migrate anything to Fx26? https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Roadmap#On_deck

Fx26

Fx25

Fx24

Round Table

jchen – mobile presence at the summit?

QA

  • bug 906030 – Guest Mode broken since the 14th – Brian?

  • We’re planning an about:home on Nightly test-day for the 30th
  • about:home prioritization, triage and nominating – Thanks Lucas (see mobile-firefox-dev email)
  • Moz China deployed firefox 23 to Tstore. working with their team so they have proper deployment process.
  • bug 897162 – new about home feels slower to startup on slow devices

User Advocacy

No updates.

SUMO Team workweek in Paris next week, so no updates via meeting.


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 99998

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99998
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2013-08-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop

Current Releases

  • Desktop FF 23.0.1 (non-security driven dot release) was shipped on Friday (8/16)

    • Drivers :

      • bug 904001 – DLL block request: rlnx.dll, pmnx.dll, opnx.dll, prnx.dll 1.3.334.9 (Relevant Knowledge 1.0.2)

      • bug 902349 – crash in nsStyleSet::FileRules with AMD Radeon HD 6310
      • bug 901527 – Audio static/”burble”/breakup in mozilla to mozilla webrtc calls

Beta (24)

  • Firefox 24.0beta4 (Desktop) shipped yesterday, two betas a week is going well

  • Next Beta going to build tomorrow

Firefox Metro

  • Team currently working on Iteration #13 which runs until Monday August 26.

    • 40 points completed to date – forecast drop in team velocity at end of iteration.
  • Metro Preview Release:
    • 33 Confirmed Open Bugs

    • 30 Resolved Bugs
    • 37 To Be Triaged
  • Iteration #14 runs from August 27 – September 10.
  • QA is regression testing Iterations #1 – #12.
  • QA intern Samvedana is organizing a Metro Test Day at the end of August – details forthcoming.
  • L10N enabled on m-c and looking pretty good. We expect to be l10n complete at Aurora uplift.

Firefox Mobile

Beta (24)

Features for Fx24

  • Our number 1 priority here is WebRTC support. This landed just in time for the latest beta bug 888274 – Upgrade to RFC 5389 STUN

    • gUM is ready but PeerConnection & DataChannel support isn’t due to unreliable networking perf
  • Also note that our latest add-on feature, prompt.jsm is in! It’s a module that can be used to show dialogs in Fennec, read more about it, here: http://digdug2k.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/prompt-jsm-in-fennec/

Aurora (25)

Features for Fx25

  • Not many uplifts to report, we’re making sure the Guest Browsing feature is solid

Nightly (26)

Features for Fx26

  • Today’s nightly has the new about:home. You can now swipe between History, Bookmarks, Reading List. You will see it’s sooo much easier to access your history and bookmarks. We’re focusing on polish and parity bug 862801 to be sure we’re ready for Fx26 GA just in time for 12/10 GA. Read more in Lucasr’s blog: http://lucasr.org/?p=3842

  • Restyled Error pages, bug 808636 – Update visual style of mobile error pages
  • Our contributor Fredrico landed (preff’d off: browser.ui.linkify.phone) bug 566225 – Add a context menu item for “Call Phone Number” if the selected text looks like a phone number

Feedback Summary

Desktop

No updates

Mobile

No Updates

Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team

Desktop / Platform

Google

  • Google Launches Chrome 29 With Improved Omnibox Suggestions On Desktop, WebRTC On Android. [1] Omnibox (combined URL and search bar) now also bases its suggestions on the recency of the sites you have visited. Mac Chrome 29 now supports Google’s rich notifications.

Facebook

  • Mark Zuckerberg through Internet.org launched a project with backing from Opera, Ericsson, Samsung, MediaTek, Nokia and Qualcomm aimed at bringing Internet access to people around the world who cannot afford it [2] (Google is already working on a similar project called Loon).

Microsoft

  • Microsoft offers classrooms free Surface RT tablets with ad-free Bing for Schools. [3] The pilot project starts with 800,000 students in US schools today.

Apple

Apple’s tablet market share in China plunged to 28 percent in the second quarter from 49 percent last year, although Apple’s tablet shipments also increased 28 percent to 1.48 million units. [4] Among notable increases were for Lenovo increasing tablet shipments to 413,000 units from 204,000 in the second quarter, Samsung’s shipments increasing four times to 571,000, and Surface with 37,000 shipments.

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

PR:

“Things get interesting, however, when you look at the graph of the error rates for just the latest versions of the browsers tested. Here, Firefox 22 really shines, with an error rate so low that it doesn’t chart at all.” – The Register


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

20-August-2013

Firefox Status: 2013-08-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

General Topics

Friends of the Firefox team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs.

  • Andrew Wang (:velocirabbit) and Jesse Fox (:jfox) for helping to fix their first bugs in SessionStore. [ttaubert]

Project Updates

Australis

  • Character encoding widget has landed (bug 865916)! Great work from mikedeboer, dão and Gijs.

  • Exit Application button added to the menu panel (bug 871203). Shout out to Dão and MC Only!
  • The tpaint regression (bug 889758)
    • For non-PGO Windows XP is in the ~0.5% range! \o/

    • For PGO Windows XP is in the ~3.3% range. o_O
  • We’ve been working with avih and vladan from perf on dealing with our TART regressions
  • mconley’s been working with BenWa to get Video Sync’d Profiling working properly on Windows to make it easier to identify what is causing dropped frames.
  • Markus Stange has the beginnings of a reflow profiler that we could use to find out why UX’s reflows are more expensive than m-c’s. Here’s an example profile.

Downloads API

Thumbnailing

Foreground thumbnailing

  • bug 809051 – Limit how often we thumbnail the page using the foreground service

    • patch posted for feedback

Background thumbnailing

  • bug 897880 – Background thumbnail service must not overwrite existing thumbnails if it gets an error response

    • landed
  • bug 901294 – Unexpected downloading will be started by after every restart of the browser due to background thumbnailing
    • patch r+’ed, but depends on bug 906276, in review
  • bug 896912 – Investigate test failures muted by bug 892875
    • discussion about how the about:newtab preloader affects background thumbnail generation
  • bug 903949 – about:memory and the background thumbnails process are combining to cause hangs and unexpected behaviour
    • fixed
  • Mark posted to dev.tech.network about using the LOAD_ANONYMOUS flag to better sandbox background thumbnail page loads
  • bug 904341 – Content-blocking addons not working with background thumbnails
    • Bill is working on a back-end patch that may be helpful

SessionStore

Places API asyncification

  • Mak going to investigate intermittent failures and incompatibilites (Xmarks) introduced by automatic batching

  • Mano should have patches for async transaction manager and consumers ready by the end of the week
  • Raymond has new patch for GUIDs in json backups, Mano reviewing it soon

e10s

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 1 minute!

gavin

(gavin’s Status Board)

paolo

(paolo’s Status Board)

mak

(marco’s Status Board)

enn

(Neil’s Status Board)

felipe

(felipe’s Status Board)

mano

(Mano’s Status Board)

ttaubert

(Tim’s Status Board)

adw

(Drew’s Status Board)

markh

(Mark’s Status Board)

smacleod

(Steven’s Status Board)

dolske

(dolske’s Status Board)

mconley

(Mike’s Status Board)

mikedeboer

(Mike’s Status Board)

gijs

(gijs’ Status Board)

Unfocused

(Blair’s Status Board)

MattN

(MattN’s Status Board)

jaws

(jaws’s Status Board)

mixedpuppy

(mixedpuppy’s Status Board)


Details

  • Tuesdays – 10:00am Pacific, 1:00pm Eastern, 17:00 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 91337
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 91337

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 91337
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 91337
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 91337
  • irc.mozilla.org #fx-team for backchannel
  • “Firefox” Vidyo Room

SeaMonkey: 2013-08-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> mcsmurf

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug) We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • No Windows langpacks since 8th April on trunk. Needs investigating.

  • Newer version of TBPL at [1].
  • Buildmaster up and running, although stuck behind a locked door at the moment.
    • Builds are running and uploading, but tbpl and normal views into the process re not public.

    • Ewong and Callek can manually look at builds and results, as well as generate releases.
    • Callek is hand-approving requests for CLOSED TREE landings until he gets things visible enough to open the tree. (Callek only because these approvals preclude that Callek is watching results manually).
    • Linux64 is still busted for 2.20+, Callek has a fix planned (bug 890594).
  • bug 740633 set up seamonkey HPs in scl3. Hardware installed and iLO configured. CentOS 6.3 installed.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* eventually (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer is working on this.

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey 2.20 final released on August 6th.

  • Linux64 broken resumed on comm-central and comm-aurora due to after a gtk header issues, (already fixed prior to hardware failure on linux32)
  • comm-aurora/beta builds are working again

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

  • See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.

  • Addon Compatibility Listings
  • There are now Lightning versions for both SM 2.20 (Lightning 2.5b2) and SM 2.21 betas (Lightning 2.6b1) available on AMO.
    • Might need to point out in release notes that users needs to install the Lightning beta versions for the SeaMonkey releases (as Lightning follows Thunderbird 17.0.x release schedule)

    • Problem: Linking to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/lightning/versions/ will provide users with versions that do not put them on the addons beta update channel; also linking to a specific version would need updating with every release
    • Linking to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/lightning/#beta-channel does not jump to the correct page position as addons.mozilla.org loads the user comments for the addon after pageload. So it first moves to the correct position (page anchor) and after that it loads the user comments
  • Our build team needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. bug 763506
  • Nightly Tester Tools is being actively developed by xabolcs (coder) and whimboo (reviewer) to make it more compatible with comm-central in general and SeaMonkey in particular. See Issues · mozilla/nightlytt · GitHub.
    • See also the Nightly Tester Tools wiki page which details the preferences used by the extension, and the variable names to use in the two of them whose name includes “.template.” Table rows in italics are for variables which are new in version 3.7pre20130806 (see below)

    • NTT 3.6 (with SeaMonkey support, and with zh-CN localization in addition to en-US) has been released and is now the “stable” version at AMO since 10 August. There is also (since 7 August) a “beta” version 3.7pre which supports customizing the titlebar and/or the useragent paste function with either or both of the comm-something and mozilla-something Mercurial changesets. (See “Development Channel” at the bottom of the AMO page.)
  • Plugins: (They are not XPIs but nowadays they are handled by the add-ons manager so they might belong here for lack of a better section on this page.)
    • The experimental about:config preference plugins.click_to_play doesn’t do anything by itself anymore. This is not a bug (see bug 549697). Instead, when the pref is set to true (which is not the default), each installed plugin can be individually set to “always ask” in addition to the options “always activate” and “never activate” available by clicking its More link in the add-ons manager.

    • In bug 901749 Mcsmurf will fix the “Activate all plugins by default” in SeaMonkey preferences to set the right preference.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.20

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (2)
fixed (38)

2.Next

  • Current breakages:

    • [mozilla-central] bug 856270 Update nsEditorSpellCheck to use nsIContentPrefService2.

      • This broke comm-central in various ways:

      • Core bug 887010 InlineSpellChecker.addDictionaryListToMenu fails if called straight after InlineSpellChecker.enabled is set to true (and no async work around).
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 737615 Remove use of synchronous cache API from unit tests. Tracked in:
      • bug 804972 Remove synchronous calls to nsICacheSession::openCacheEntry in SeaMonkey tests.

      • Mcsmurf says this is almost fixed but there was a test failure. He will close this bug and open a new one for the failure.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
    • bug 839034 move markPageAsXXX methods to nsINavHistoryService. Tracked in:
    • bug 627699 Port GTK2 to GTK3. Tracked in:
      • bug 882036 Port GTK2 to GTK3 – SeaMonkey Part.

      • A Red Hat person seems to be working on the GTK3 integration.
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Feature List, Planning

Private Browsing is now working and uplifted to SeaMonkey 2.19. Currently we are treating this feature as Experimental because although most things are working some edge cases have probably been missed. Hopefully any remaining bugs will be found before we formally announce.

  • Testing would be appreciated! Please file bugs as blocking the meta bug 460895.

  • TODO The about:privatebrowsing page needs UI polish (bug 842439).

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 47 new, 20 fixed, 20 triaged.

  • Medium triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
23 review
7 super-review
2 ui-review
6 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.

    • Ratty suggests featuring one or more bugs from that page at each meeting.
  • Featured helpwanted bugs:

Good First Bugs

  • Note: The GFB list is open to all including our regular contributors.

  • Ratty is working on an updated GFB list, suggestions welcome.
  • Everyone is welcome to look at the GFBs or if they find a bug they want to tackle then ask in irc://moznet/seamonkey and we’ll find a mentor if you need it.
  • New GFBs recently added:
  • Currently there are 24 GFBs open, 2 are being actively worked on.
  • List of Open mentored bugs.
    • Ratty notes that there are 23 bugs that are GFBs but without the mentor keyword. These need to be audited to see if they are really suitable as GFBs.
  • Mentors of stalled bugs should try to communicate with the assignees and if they can’t work on them any more to unassign/free up those bugs.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

Callek

Fixed:

Working on:

ToDo:

  • bug 812981 Put up snippets for linux64 minor and major updates to SeaMonkey 2.19 and Beta to current Beta of SeaMonkey.

  • bug 827178 Update stage.m.o cron to match recent changes with ffxbld cron.
  • bug 845844 Deploy updated tbpl to tbpl.drapostles.org.
  • bug 884454 Bring up sea-master1 with puppet.
  • bug 890429 SeaMonkey master failing to upload log files.

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 633937 – Port bug 562048 to suite.

    • bug 739056 – Port |Bug 715099 – Convert nsProfileMigrator to JS so we can use JS modules on migration| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 895751 – Port |Bug 846221 – Make the pref UI explain intl.charset.default better.| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 898948 – Linux builders need to have their build-size bumped
  • Checkin-needed:
  • Review:

    • bug 110904 – attach signature fails silently on bad paths

    • bug 507676 – Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 840427 – Migrate SeaMonkey builders to using mock
    • bug 853720 – After bug 827446, SeaMonkey doesn’t know mozcrash.
    • bug 863747 – Add option to disable Location bar history
    • bug 900422 – Debug Preferences should handle nglayout.debug.paint_flashing_chrome
    • bug 904367 – Remove codesighs from SeaMonkey code
    • bug 904485 – stdcxx error in build
  • Working On:

    • bug 837649 – [Tracking Bug] Stop OSX 10.5 support for SeaMonkey project

    • bug 837650 – Stop support for OSX 10.5 in suite/ tree
    • bug 864291 – Remove “Personas” from UI and Help
  • To Do:

IanN

  • Some testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 906937 SeaMonkey is missing imapAuthMechNotSupported from imapMsgs.properties
  • Pending check in:
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
    • bug 837408 Add en-GB locale to gaia

    • bug 889152 send format html and plain domains set in mailnews.js are ignored
    • bug 906960 Update en-GB for Gecko 25
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
    • bug 778534 Use image instead of html:img in instant messaging
  • Working on:
    • Various SM Council documents.

    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

mcsmurf

  • Working on fixing recent Linux build problems: bug 904485 stdcxx error in build

  • Fixed bug 901880 Compile failure in nsColorPicker.cpp: error: ‘gtk_color_selection_dialog_get_color_selection’ was not declared in this scope
  • Filed bug 902351 Intermittent test_documentcreateattribute.html | Test timed out.
  • Filed bug 906012 [SeaMonkey] TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | test_contextmenu.html | checking item #2 (*chubbiness) name – got context-undo, expected *chubbiness and wondered how to currently run tests locally (note: it’s difficult)
  • Filed bug 906140 Source mozconfig.common in SeaMonkey in-tree mozconfig files
  • Helped with bug 902091 failed l10n repacks for firefox 24.0b1 on windows, also affected SeaMonkey in some way
  • Helped with bug 906045 pymake mochitest-metro-chrome fails with runtests.py: error: no such option: –build-info-json
  • Fixed bug 879170 Remove mozLoadFrom
  • Fixed bug 873037 Cleaning update directory should be changed from CleanUpdatesDir to CleanUpdateDirectories for Seamonkey

Neil

Fixed on mozilla-central:

  • bug 896213 Remove usage of XPFE autocomplete interfaces from the XBL widget.

  • bug 896768 Want to be able to style <textbox autocompletesearch=”file”> results.
  • bug 905155 Remove XPFE autocomplete component and interfaces from the build.
  • bug 906140 Source mozconfig.common in SeaMonkey in-tree mozconfig files.

Fixed on comm-central:

  • bug 906002 External API build busted after various bugs.

Fixed on comm-central, needs to land on comm-aurora:

  • bug 901871 Plugin placeholder display incorrect in the Modern theme.

Fixed on comm-aurora:

Fixed on comm-beta:

  • bug 897685 Double-click opens properties dialog.

Needs to land on comm-aurora and would be nice on comm-beta:

  • bug 898781 Opening new tab sometimes causes exceptions in WindowsPreviewPerTab.jsm.

  • bug 899104 “Open all in tabs” from a private browsing window opens tabs in main window instead.
  • bug 868486 Session restore logic appears broken in Browser preference pane.

Working on:

  • bug 891904 Turning spellcheck off and on again in an unusual way leaves it in an unusable state.

  • bug 906920 Implement additional toolkit features in XPFE autocomplete widget.

Abandoned:

Instead you can view the web console remotely once you enable the built-in debugger. Now with preliminary review, and waiting on full review.

Px

Previously on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Fixed:

  • bug 868964 Port | bug 864107 session restore does not ensure restored windows are actually on-screen | to SeaMonkey.

  • bug 868969 Port changes from | bug 649216 Remove unnecessary delay when clicking tab close buttons sequentially | to comm-central.
  • bug 876244 Port | bug 872324 Restored maximized windows blank or incorrectly positioned | to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 881173 TypeError: this.tabbox is null Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml Line: 480.
  • bug 881244 Port | bug 878747 browser.stop() call in addTab() is expensive and causes reflows | to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 887183 “GetPromptService is not defined” errors in Error Console.
  • bug 892881 Port | bug 861101 Stop adding getpersonas.com to the xpinstall whitelist | to SeaMonkey.

Currently Working on:

  • bug 869900 Port | bug 867118 Remove browser.__SS_data and use a WeakMap instead | and dependent bugs to SeaMonkey.

  • bug 886113 Port | bug 871057 Simplify session store initialization | to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 886116 Port | bug 698565 stop excluding keys when calling JSON.stringify() and follow-ups | to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 906433 Port | bug 902721 [Session Restore] Remove _dirtyWindows and replace it with a weak set | to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 906516 Port | bug 903388 [Session Restore] Collect cookie hosts *after* serializing session history | to SeaMonkey.

Ratty

Fixed but waiting for checkin (CLOSED TREE):

  • bug 896384 Follow up to bug 881083 “Validate this page”.

  • bug 900510 Show download progress in OS X app dock icon and simplify taskbar integration.

Working on:

  • bug 58986 The Find dialog should show autocompete with recent searches.

  • bug 258361 replace XUL_NAMESPACE with XUL_NS.
  • bug 900514 Some minor tweaks to Drag and Drop in Downloads UI.
  • bug 876430 Update Dataman for changes in DOMStorage and localStorage.
  • bug 906083 [AMO Integration] Update links to addons.mozilla.org.

Investigating:

  • bug 103125 “Find in this Page” settings should persist between sessions.

  • Update browser-fullZoom.js to use nsIContentPrefService2.

Other stuff:

  • Did some reviews.

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

rsx11m

Waiting for reviews:

  • bug 902068 Update labels for default character encoding in Help for the Languages preference pane.

  • bug 902131 Add note for “legacy content” to Mail & News Character Encoding preferences and update Help.
  • bug 868495 Browser main preference pane cut off on Windows 7 with hardware acceleration enabled. (additional patch)

Filed:

  • bug 902312 Tabbed mail in 3-pane window does no longer observe browser.tabs.autoHide for display of single tabs.

  • bug 904189 Document new options for mixed content blocker in SSL preference pane.

Other:

  • Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.

  • End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.

sgautherie

  • My last activity report was nearly a year ago, on SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2012-09-18.

    • I attended MozCampEU2012. Then I got an unexpected personal life news…
  • A few months ago, I became father of a boy! :-)
  • I/We will now see how (much) I can be (somewhat) active again on Mozilla/SeaMonkey…

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2013-08-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • bug 874108 – Intermittent content/events/test/test_bug656379-1.html | Releasing the mouse over the label should have unpressed (and focused) the button

    • Regressed in mid-May.

    • Win8 only – cause unkonwn.
    • jst to help find an owner.
  • test_focus_autocomplete.xul responsible for 2 of top 10 oranges on trunk (bug 890795, bug 695019). Help wanted.
Stability

Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (akeybl/lsblakk/bajaj)

Next Merge: September 16, 2013 Next Release: September 17, 2013
Trains
Central: 26 Aurora: 25 Beta: 24 Release: 23
  • Desktop FF 23.0.1 (non-security driven dot release) was shipped on Friday (8/16)

    • Drivers :

      • bug 904001 – DLL block request: rlnx.dll, pmnx.dll, opnx.dll, prnx.dll 1.3.334.9 (Relevant Knowledge 1.0.2)

      • bug 902349 – crash in nsStyleSet::FileRules with AMD Radeon HD 6310
      • bug 901527 – Audio static/”burble”/breakup in mozilla to mozilla webrtc calls
    • Firefox 23 Post-Mortem was held this morning
  • Firefox multiple Betas in one week carries on, FF24.0b4 (Desktop & Mobile) will ship this afternoon
41 bugs (28 bugs last week) 66 bugs (60 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 25 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 24 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

  • bug 904979 creates a divergence between default build options for local and official/release builds with the goal of making local builds faster at the expense of not being exactly like release builds.

  • Many users are experiencing issues loading mozconfigs or mozinfo.json, especially with mach mochitest commands. If you encounter an error, please file it under Core :: Build Config as a P1 and assign to gps@mozilla.com.
  • glandium and gps have been making many changes to make rules and tier traversal. Be on the lookout for oddities/regressions and report them immediately.
  • |mach build| records resource usage of builds bug 883209 – will roll out to automation once it has proved itself. bug 907297 is open for people to improve the HTML display.

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Key Issues

(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

  • Pico TTS landed in gonk about a week ago and the service to connect gonk to web speech API is coming soon.

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

<Read Only>

The team did awesome work last week fixing a whole mess of intermittent test failures.

App Tools (dtownsend)

No update

Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)

  • Australis update: the team is making good progress on performance.

    • Tpaint regression is within the noise, next focus is on PGO where there still appears to be a slowdown.

    • Inability to do PGO builds on try is a blocker (bug 691673)
    • Markus Stange wrote what should be a useful tool: reflow/restyle/painting profiler: bug 902857
    • Perf team (avih, vladan) have been helping out, chasing down TART issues and doing some profiling
    • The team’s starting to reach the bounds of their expertise in some areas; if you get requests to help investigate Australis performance issues please prioritize those as highly as possible
  • Download Manager
    • Bounced due to some test issues, but we have some good ideas for addressing those and hope to have it enabled soon

    • More details in Paolo’s firefox-dev post
    • Regressions to be filed as blocking bug 825588
  • Thumbnailing
    • “Foreground” thumbnailing: we’re working on a patch that will have us do that much less often (bug 809051), other improvements

    • Background service: fixing regressions, chasing down private-browsing mode issues, e10s crashes will likely mean we need to avoid uplifting to beta

Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)

<Read Only>

  • final work on downloads landed. some polish still needed.

  • lots of misc. front end fixes.
  • localization turned back on in anticipation of fx26 uplift to aurora.

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • We are merging fig to m-c tomorrow! Thanks for your support, we’re excited about the latest facelift

  • Landed in Fx26 bug 880259 – Firefox should use GeckoView
  • Fix landed for Fx26 bug 901962 – After zooming out, I can’t click outside of the initially viewable area
  • Crash fix uplifed through beta: bug 878416 – java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.CameraImageResultHandler.onActivityResult(CameraImageResultHandler.java)

Firefox OS Browser (blassey)

  • Lot’s of multi-APZC work bug 890280

    • input event targeting largely fixed

    • async subframe scrolling on for browser, should be coming to all other apps soon
  • tile by tile drawing landed
  • search engine customizable at build time
  • search engine customizable by user

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week

    • Aside from fixing blocking bugs, our team’s primary focus was on features/bugs targeted for 1.2 release, specifically album info on the utility tray, music status icon on the status bar, Displaying additional info on the video file, support to edit image orientation in gallery (https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/886840). Our current sprint is ending on August 29th.
  • This Week

    • Continue working on current sprint commitments and also fix any blocking 1.1 bugs that comes our way

    • Working on identifying feature gaps in the new music app and coming up with a plan to address it.
    • We are also starting discussions on the next set of user stories/requirements for upcoming sprint/next release
  • Blockers

    • None

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • This week

    • MediaEncoder/ bug 891705 – Implement WebM container writer.

    • MediaEncoder/bug 891704 – Implement MP4Writer
    • WebRTC/ bug 902856 – Should MediaEngineDefaultAudioSource generate real data
    • SkiaGL/ Create a SkThreadCanvas to and offload rendering task from main thread to this thread.
  • Next Week
    • SkiaGL/ Create a SkThreadCanvas to and offload rendering task from main thread to this thread.

    • MediaEncoder/ bug 891705 – Implement WebM container writer.
    • MediaEncoder/bug 891704 – Implement MP4Writer

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

<Read Only>

  • Bug List

  • This week
    • Contacts App, GPS, and Profiling fixes and improvements.

    • Investigating datazilla cold-launch regression between m-c and b2g18.
    • Gathering 1.0.1 to 1.1 Launch and FPS time deltas to help with backlog prioritization.
    • Workweek planning
  • Next Week
    • Toronto Workweek

Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)

<Read Only>

  • 1.2 sprint 3 in progress

  • Focus of 1.2 work, periodic e-mail sync/notifications, is looking at initial functionality landing near the end of this week. There are still additional user stories to implement involving notifications when the e-mail app is visible as well as grouping logic once the gaia system dependency of updating/revoking notifications lands.
  • POP3 support in the e-mail client is being planned for v1.3.
  • As always, product/sprint backlog located at https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/867311

Firefox OS Radio/WIFI/GPS (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • Bugs list, http://goo.gl/0qGqtN

  • Last week
    • Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.

    • CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, OTASP, CDMA subscription information, cell broadcast, information record, and ECB.
    • WAP Push, to implmenet the display function.
    • OMA CP, to verify the test AP – Fixed.
    • NFC, to implement the NFC deamon and communication protocol.
    • WPA-EAP, to implement the importing key function.
    • WIFI-Direct, to rebase the WIFI-Direct patches and implement test app.
  • This week
    • Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.

    • CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, OTASP, CDMA subscription information, cell broadcast, information record, and ECB.
    • WAP Push, to implmenet the display function.
    • NFC, to implement the NFC deamon and communication protocol.
    • WPA-EAP, to implement the importing key function.
    • WIFI-Direct, to implement wifi-direct state machine.

Firefox OS Systems – Front End (gwagner)

<Read Only>

  • new notification API ready to use for apps. (email is already using it)

  • Download manager: UX done.
  • Offline Experience: UX done.

Firefox OS Systems – Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

[Gaia/Team/Taipei/Meetings/2013-08-20 meeting note of the week]

  • Tablet: working on planning of v1.2 minimal changes.

  • 3rd-party keyboards framework: on-going, Gecko patch ready to land. Gaia part reviewed. OOP issue reviewing.
  • Simplified Chinese IME: first patch landed, working on UI now.
  • Gaia build script update: bugs filed; working on loading CommonJS module on xpcshell
  • Window management update: on-track, landed some pieces, will land more for the following weeks. No API changes yet.
  • qHD/WVGA: qHD is now v1.2 nice-to-have. WVGA is warped up but monitoring
  • BT feature support: waiting on UX spec, and feasibility study.
  • CDMA front-end support: on-going. Transferred non-Settings app work to Comms team.

GFX (milan)

<Read Only>

  • Relaxed blocklist driver versions on windows and Intel graphics (904266)

  • Tiling on B2G (in case this didn’t get mentioned under mobile)

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

Media (jesup)

  • Daala – coding party in MV Sept 30th to Oct 3rd — if interested, contact Maire (mreavy@mozilla.com)

  • WebRTC
    • audio drift fix coming bug 884365

    • AV Sync improvements bug 864654
    • Landing of update to media/webrtc/trunk bug 901583
    • Don’t try to use WebRTC on Windows Nightly or Aurora/25 when another Firefox is running — weird D3D interaction bug 901831

Necko (jduell)

  • Landed bug 892488: Stop prompting when websites use appcache

  • Landed bug 882516: Removed redundant DNS request
  • We may want to reorder necko events to prioritize CSS, etc in XPCOM event queue

    • seeing 1st paint be slower when cache hits for lots of images, etc.

Performance (vladan)

Seceng (tanvi)

  • Mixed Content Blocker navigation false positive landed and uplifted to beta bug 902350. Mixed Content Blocker persistence coming soon bug 902156.

  • “Firefox, Devtools, Security, and You” talk today at 2:30 pm PST in SF first floor common area and air mozilla – ialagenchev
  • Patch in progress to create a separate cookie jar for the safe browsing cookie (so it’s not sent with your other google cookies) bug 897516.

WebAPI (overholt)

No update.

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

The stealthy introduction of e10s (via the thumbnails child process) exposed a bug in multi-process memory reporting, which has now been fixed. Nonetheless, the existing way of handling multiple processes is hacky and gross and needs to be improved.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 6.99 (Previous Week: 5.95). Talos issues and infra problems main cause of spike. Infra issues are ongoing.

  • Ongoing efforts to reduce intermittent failure rate on mozilla-beta (Fx24) in preparation for being the next ESR branch.
    • Please respond to needinfo requests to keep these bugs moving.
  • 25 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.
    • Shout out to the Jetpack team for cleaning up many flaky tests in the Addon SDK.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • In Which Web browser crashes the most?, ZDNet says “The best browser, in terms of the fewest number of defects, is Firefox 22…” \o/

  • General crash data looks good.
  • 23.0.1 fixes two high-volume third-party crashes that we saw in 23.0 (one with an add-on called “RelevantKnowledge”, one with some Radeon cards/drivers).

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From Today’s Meeting

[2:00pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-08-20
[2:00pm] catlee: is there audio?
[2:00pm] lmandel: RyanVM|Sheriff: jst is on bug 874108
[2:00pm] davidb: catlee: nobody talking
[2:00pm] lmandel: as in, we'll find an owner
[2:01pm] Waldo joined the chat room.
[2:01pm] milan_ joined the chat room.
[2:01pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=874108 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Intermittent content/events/test/test_bug656379-1.html | Releasing the mouse over the label should h
[2:01pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: lmandel: wfm, thanks
[2:01pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: jst++
[2:02pm] lmandel: We'll get started in a minute. Just waiting for the AirMo broadcast to start
[2:02pm] milan left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:02pm] KaiRo: lmandel: I probybly will miss out on the platform meeting today, but there's no voice update for stability today
[2:02pm] lmandel: KaiRo: k. thanks
[2:02pm] • KaiRo probably should note that zdnet article in the section though
[2:02pm] lmandel: KaiRo: will do
[2:02pm] tanvi left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:02pm] tanvi joined the chat room.
[2:03pm] KaiRo: lmandel: oh, I'm editing that section anyhow
[2:04pm] mccr8 joined the chat room.
[2:05pm] tchung left the chat room. (Quit: tchung)
[2:06pm] philor is now known as philor|away.
[2:06pm] davidb: (i'll see if we can get movement on bug 695019)
[2:06pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=695019 nor, --, ---, nobody, REOP, Intermittent a11y/accessible/events/test_focus_autocomplete.xul | Test timed out. with or without a
[2:07pm] ehsan left the chat room. (Input/output error)
[2:07pm] blassey: anyone know who BillSeitz is?
[2:07pm] davidb: (and 890795)
[2:07pm] ehsan joined the chat room.
[2:07pm] coop|mtg is now known as coop.
[2:08pm] smooney left the chat room. (Quit: smooney)
[2:09pm] ehsan left the chat room. (Connection reset by peer)
[2:09pm] ehsan_ joined the chat room.
[2:09pm] milan_ left the chat room. (Input/output error)
[2:09pm] bajaj: lmandel: I am at 1%, mind passing on the charger before I die 
[2:09pm] milan joined the chat room.
[2:09pm] jhopkins|mtg is now known as jhopkins.
[2:10pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: you can run pgo
[2:10pm] catlee: it's definitely possible
[2:10pm] brambles left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:10pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseEngineering/TryChooser#What_if_I_want_PGO_for_my_build
[2:11pm] Waldo: hoo boy, loud SF is loud
[2:11pm] brambles joined the chat room.
[2:12pm] elan: it's actually happening tomorrow...
[2:12pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: the fig merge got pushed to tomorrow due to robocop failures that appeared this morning
[2:12pm] elan: the merge
[2:13pm] kar left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:13pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: https://tbpl.mozilla.org/?tree=Try&rev=7ecf7716327b
[2:13pm] kar joined the chat room.
[2:13pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: hoping to disable the failing test for now
[2:13pm] elan: cool
[2:14pm] mbest joined the chat room.
[2:14pm] davidb: naveed: you around? for js audible?
[2:15pm] naveed: was readonly?
[2:15pm] naveed: apparently my mic was off
[2:15pm] davidb: ok
[2:15pm] lmandel: naveed: OK. np
[2:15pm] davidb: it looks like readonly but i don't think it specified
[2:15pm] Preeti joined the chat room.
[2:15pm] lmandel: naveed: If you add the {{readonly}} template then I'll skip your section.
[2:15pm] lmandel: for next time
[2:16pm] davidb: (i did that)
[2:16pm] naveed: it is there
[2:16pm] Preeti1 joined the chat room.
[2:16pm] naveed: hmm ty
[2:16pm] davidb: np
[2:16pm] naveed: i must have fatfingered the copy
[2:16pm] overholt|afk left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:16pm] myk left the chat room. (Quit: Instantbird 1.5a1pre -- http://www.instantbird.com)
[2:16pm] myk joined the chat room.
[2:17pm] Preeti left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:17pm] jwir3 is now known as jwir3|lunch.
[2:19pm] gavin: RyanVM|Sheriff: is the "PGO builds don't show up on try" bug filed?
[2:20pm] gavin: (I assume it is not covered by bug 691673)
[2:20pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=691673 nor, P3, ---, nobody, NEW, give trychooser the option of triggering (or not) a PGO build for platforms that support PGO
[2:20pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: gavin: they show up, they just don't show as "pgo" in the results
[2:20pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: so the only way to confirm that the builds were pgo is from the log
[2:20pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: presumably a fix for that would be included with proper Try support for pgo

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-08-2011:00 am Pacific

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/International: +1 650 903 0800 x92 Conf# 98411

    • US toll free: +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • Canada: +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress