Meeting Notes

31-March-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-03-31

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

Dominik and Rina would like to nominate Mahay Alam Khan (a.k.a. Mak) for running the recruitment for our local community research in Bangladesh and for his last minute help on our survey! Mak is truly a great organiser and leader! Thanks so much!

Upcoming Events

Tuesday, 01 April

Wednesday, 02 April

Thursday, 03 April

  • 10:00 AM Pacific / 17:00 UTC: Grow Mozilla discussion — a forum for discussing community building at Mozilla

Saturday, 05 April

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Mobile

Speaker Location: (mfinkle)

  • Quick Share: Now on context menus too!

  • Firefox Hub – Stage 1: Testing some Feed related panels
  • Testing snippets on Nightly
  • UI Telemetry is starting to land
  • Keep testing Sync and Webapps!

Webmaker

Speaker Location: nonverbal update

  • Help us test the WebLitMapper, a new bookmarklet for tagging content around the web that aligns with the Web Literacy Map.

    • Try it out and share feedback here.

Open Badges

Speaker Location: nonverbal update

Mozilla Science Lab

Speaker Location: nonverbal update

Open News

Speaker location: nonverbal update

Grow Mozilla

Speaker Location: San Francisco

Pierros Papadeas has created some graphics that show how the People, Engagement and Foundation teams are coordinating to increase the number of active contributors by 10x this year.

It’s not every day that you get to talk about sharks, parachutes and hard hats when describing the work you do, so I definitely wanted to share the images. Check out the full explanation to learn more.

If you have any questions about how this will help you grow community around your projects, feel free to join the Grow Mozilla discussion this Thursday, post to the community building mailing list or attend the upcoming Enabling Communities Town Hall.

IT

Speaker Location: mjeffries, San Francisco

ServiceNow improvements video now posted – check out the changes we have made to make ServiceNow easier to use for your IT needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xv_wU-6_VQ

EUS, WPR, and WebEngineering have made improvements to employee and guest badging:
Employee and guest badging systems have been updated and improved.
Employee badging stations are now in all Mozilla Spaces, and will enable individual and workweek badging at all locations.
Peekaboo guest badging system improvements
Peekaboo stations have been deployed to all Mozilla Spaces.
WebEngineering is working on more improvements for Peekaboo.

Desk Phone improvements
Made perf. improvements to improve phone system management.
Faster number lookup- less than 7 seconds for extension lookup, among other improvements.

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Mike Taylor Web Compat Engineer webcompat.com Austin, TX Yes n/a http://dev.webcompat.com
William Reynolds Product manager for Community Tools Add more accounts to mozillians.org and new Reps activities system San Francisco No mozillians.org post mozillians.org post,
Reps activities system post
Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Howie Chang Kevin Hu Taipei(record) Taipei Firefox OS – Engineering PM

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

27-March-2014

Mobile: 2014-03-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2014-04-28

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Ashwin Swaroop fixed bug 983860 – AndroidFxAccount.enableSyncing() log message says “Disabling”

  • Vlad Tanase fixed bug 983475 – Remove shouldShowProgress from browser.js
  • Chris Kitching fixed bug 987340 – NPE at org.mozilla.gecko.favicons.decoders.LoadFaviconResult.getBytesForDatabaseStorage(LoadFaviconResult.java)

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

JChen

Past week

  • bug 984458 – NativeJSObject (JNI-wrapped Javascript object) to replace JSON for Gecko-to-Java messaging

    • 100-200% performance improvement compared to JSON

    • Direct conversion from Uint32Array to byte[] for binary data instead of base64

Fixed

Working on

GCP

<Read Only>

  • Last week:

    • Reviews: VP8 HW, SafeBrowsing, WebRTC

    • Profiling WebRTC

Fixed

Working on

  • Next week:

    • Get B2G building again

    • WebRTC H264 accel

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: Worked on bug 759448 – Prevent listeners from being registered until needed. Got Roku box white listed for NDK work.

  • This Week: Wrap up bug 759448 and move forward on WebRTC on Roku.

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

Past/present/future: bug 946022 – Implement requestAutocomplete for Firefox for Android

WesJ

<Read Only>

  • Helping at GDC last week.

  • One last try run, and hopefully quickshare will land. Had to do some compat work for Gingerbread.
  • bug 985875 Regression in select elements
  • bug 956716 Lockup with context menus on base64 images
  • bug 933979 Cleanup after webapps
  • Reviews
  • Digging back into second screen stuff. There was actually a lot of interest in this (and mobile in general) at gdc.

jdover

<Read Only>

current

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 972098 – Cursors returned from the SQLiteBridge don’t update when data updates

  • bug 969043 – Log warning if HomeProvider consumer tries saving data outside of sync window
  • bug 974454 – Allow showing only description in panel image items
  • bug 987962 – Reset isLoaded state in HomeFragment on configuration change
  • bug 974434 – Add support for items with variable height in PanelGridView
  • bug 974601 – Avoid saving new configuration on refresh if still using default HomeConfig
  • (In progress) bug 976064 – Create a loader per panel view instead of per dataset id
  • (In progress) bug 988355 – Only force reload on configuration changes in DynamicPanel
  • (In progress) bug 940575 – Implement per-profile SharedPreferences, eliminating uses of PreferenceManager
  • Tons and tons of reviews

Next week

  • Prepare talk for event next week

  • Tiles v1 work
  • More hub stuff

sola

This week

  • bug 968308 – UI telemetry for home panels

  • bug 857990 – Save/Restore scroll position for an article in Reader Mode
  • bug 909618 – Remember about:home tab selection

liuche

<Read Only>

Margaret

<Read Only>

Highlights

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • investigate bug 979623 – NullPointerException when starting geckoview_example

  • bug 985610 – Remove duplicate menu_item_textsize definition.
  • Investigate bug 977945 – Intermittent PROCESS-CRASH | java-exception | java.lang.StackOverflowError at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.constructNative(Native Method) | followed by testSessionHistory | GeckoEventExpecter – blockForEvent timeout: Gecko:Ready

Present

  • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

  • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 965548 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap
  • bug 957894 – Update account pickling code for Firefox Account

Future

  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off

  • bug 898613 – [fig] Editing mode tests (followup to bug 895828)
  • bug 963446 – Extend SyncAccountDeletedService to handle deleting client record for Firefox Accounts + Sync 1.5

esawin

<Read Only>

Fixed

Working on

nalexander

  • Eclipse

I blogged 10 mini-video tutorials about developing Fennec with Eclipse at http://www.ncalexander.net/blog/2014/03/24/eclipse-mini-tutorials/

  • Firefox Accounts

Diving deep into the weeds that need trimming in order for us to rev our on-disk Account storage formats, a pre-requisite for bug 975625. Plan is to re-work the Android Account types for all Fennec packages in order to prevent cross-package shenanigans. This will allow both the Beta and Release packages to sync at the same time (which hasn’t been supported up to now) at the cost of requiring both packages to set up Sync. (For perspective: we believe we have a handful of users with multiple packages installed and in active use. The vast majority of our userbase won’t notice a difference.)

BLassey

  • Getting reviews on the UI for Tab Streaming bug 928096

  • stole bug 979623, NPE in GNM from GVE, from mcomella
  • bug 979438 Unify target SDK version
  • trying to carve out time to look at Chromecast support

Ian Barlow

  • Hub support – wrapping up initial RSS-themed release

  • Tiles – initial design exploration underway
  • UI Telemetry
  • Roku
    • spinning this back up with Zhenshuo and Anthony again

    • getting very close to a testable v1 version. Keep an eye on Nightlies!
  • Tablets
  • FxA
    • Trying to get a little Android promo into the desktop FxA flow

    • Have some bugs to look at for nalexander, appreciate your patience :)
  • Q2 planning
  • multi-year planning
  • In Vancouver next week
  • In Denver the week after
  • Omg the meetings

Arun

  • Updated with designs

    • Bug 663803 – Provide magnifying glass in areas of clustered links

    • Bug 985516 – [meta] Form Autofill
  • Working on ideas & sketches for Android Search Widget

WebRT

  • Fx29 Beta testing underway with focus on developers

  • great discussions in Hacks blog post, some further discussion in dev-webapps forum and Yammer thread
  • priorities are developer-facing issues in Fx29 Beta and user-facing issues in Fx30 Aurora
  • still bouncing off zarro blookers for Fx29 release
  • Noteworthy Bugs:
    • bug 985184 – WebappsUpdateTimer.js not packaged with Fennec (fixed and uplifted)

    • bug 985195 – WebappsUpdateTimer shares timer ID with nsUpdateService (fixed and uplifted)
    • bug 984028 – some apps have default Android icon at some resolutions (fixed server-side)
    • bug 982557 – updating Fennec to a version with Synthetic APKs triggers app updates that hang on launch (fixed; will request uplift)
    • bug 982559 – updating to Synthetic APKs and tapping Home screen icon for previously-installed webapp crashes Fennec (awaiting review)
    • bug 986085 – User-hand-holding to check the Unknown Sources checkbox (under investigation)

Feature Focus

<Read Only> <== I have to jet to a 10AM but will put progress bar improvements to ‘on track’ for Fx31. Also, what about Fx30 permissions bump? Yes or no?

Fx29, Ships 04/29
Fx30, Ships 06/10
Fx31, Ships on 07/22

Round Table

Good read

http://www.otsukare.info/2014/03/24/webcompat-china

QA


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-03-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Mobile

Current Releases

Thank you for 28.0.1

Beta (29)

Aurora (30)

Nightly (31)

Developer Tools

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • USR 27 today

  • Snippet surveys live in Release
  • Lots of Australis feedback rolling in for Beta. Similar to what we have seen previously. Expect the usual feedback reports for Australis.

Mobile

  • USR 27 today

Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team

Desktop/Platform

  • Google Now is in Chrome for Windows and Mac, [1] in addition to Android and iOS users. [2] 90% of those who have a personal assistant [3] feature on their phone use it because it’s quicker, easier, and more convenient than traditional mobile use. Nearly 60% use it every day and over 80% want to use the same mobile personal assistant across all of their devices – phones, tablets, PCs, cars, TVs, apps and cameras [4], and Google is getting ready to use it along these lines [5]

Mobile/Android

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Marketing

  • Australis onboarding tour went to Beta – various tests running to optimize copy

  • Heads-down working on a social share campaign to launch to support the Australis launch

PR


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

26-March-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-03-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • mochitest-bc continues to be extremely timeout-prone. Evaluating options like splitting devtools into a separate suite (bug 984930), pushing harder on chunking work (bug 819963 and deps) which jmaher has gotten little support on, closing the trees OOMpocalypse-style, etc.
Stability

Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

  • 28.0.1 mobile shipped!

  • 29b2 will ship shortly if no critical issue found
  • Hot fix done for 27 & 28 because of bug 985627 (safebrowsing)
Next Merge: April 28, 2014 Next Release: April 29, 2014
Trains
Central: 31 Aurora: 30 Beta: 29 Release: 28
21 bugs (?? bugs last week) 81 bugs (?? bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 30 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 29 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Developer Tools (robcee)

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • last minute Q1 goals finishing

    • cross-thread cycle collection

    • web components
    • <picture>
    • Service Workers (+ Push)
    • TCP Socket (JS -> C++)
  • mccr8 almost ready to land ICC on trunk preffed on by default

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • We spun a 28.0.1 to provide a fix for a h.264 playback issue; thank to those who made that happen bug 963621. We’re looking into bug 987223

  • Fixed as of Fx30, thanks gfx team for the turnaround! bug 983208 Regression: Panning and zooming yields flickering and or vanishing content
  • Lots of progress made on figuring out ServiceWorkers on Android, working through startup issues
  • Also in progress/partially landed bug 928096 – UI for Tab streaming

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • No update. Work on issues and new APIs.
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • 1.3+/1.3T+/1.4+ bug fixing

      • bug 984834 – Video playback glitch observed when device resumes after suspend (fixed from Gaia)

      • bug 977797 – [B2G][Video] crash in android::MediaBuffer::release (investigated and in the end it’s was set to Resolved Invalid)
      • bug 975955 – the audio gaps after lock screen (landed)
      • bug 983539 – Music and ringtone may appear at the same time if an incoming call occurs while listening to music – (investigated and vendor took this over.)
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)

    • Alan takes the analysis job of Tarako issues.

    • Alphan has started to work on Feature Detection API implementation (bug 983502).

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Team is neck-deep into getting the big list of madai camera features ready and landed with partner contributions. We are in the process of merging 12+ features from branch into master early this week — when features look stable on master, the plan is to uplift it into 1.4

  • Also addressing blocking bugs from 1.3, 1.3T, 1.4 releases — gallery and music audio channel related issues. Engineers from Taipei are helping with these fixes.

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

    • Flame (Mozilla FxOS Reference Device)

      • Power Perf: Has a switchable USB charger, so we can take power measurements while the phone is plugged in via USB.

      • Automation: Has a unique serial number, which allows multiple devices to be plugged into the same host PC.
      • These two features make it possible to use it for power regression testing on a large-scale basis
    • Mercurial Bisect Bug

      • Dave Huseby conclusively showed last week that mercurial’s topographic sort for bisecting BREAKS when the “oldest” end of the bisect range isn’t a common ancestor.

      • If you get a message telling you to use “hg bisect –extend” you have to re-run your entire bisect using the common ancestor it gives you. See bug 960224 for details.
      • Dave has a blog post in the works to explain all of the details (with pretty graphs) and why mercurial breaks.
      • Find Dave (:huseby) on IRC if you hit this problem.
      • git bisecting

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • bug 984919 – [RIL][DSDS] New calls an inactive SIM when there is an active SIM should be rejected

  • bug 889737 – [MMI] Unify both sendMMI() and dial() functions
  • bug 983064 – [Sora][Message][MMS]There isn’t “x-wap-profile” in MMS log.
  • bug 976897 – [Sora][Message][MMS]The MMS sending too long time sometimes.
  • bug 959434 – [B2G][NFC]Support secure element for NFC daemon.
  • bug 978027 – [B2G] Need to implement API for getCdmaPrlVersion.
  • bug 906164 – mozHasPendingMessage() should queue messages even when app is running
  • bug 933588 – B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++.
  • bug 980701 – [B2G][Gaia][System][Buri] The proximity sensor activates unnecessarily when not in a call causing glitchy behavior.
  • bug 949675 – Support HTTP->Rtsp Channel redirects.
  • bug 971593 – [RTSP] Resource leak of HTMLMediaElement containing RTSP media resource
  • bug 975778 – [B2G] [Emulator] Support CDMA_FLASH command for Cdma call waiting and 3way calling senarion
  • bug 984326 – [B2G] [RIL] [CDMA] call waiting isn’t working properly. The 2nd remote party cannot hear voice.
  • bug 960426 – Support Network Information API in Firefox OS
  • bug 985892 – Enable UICC Secure Element on Nexus 5.

Firefox OS Systems – Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

Meeting note

Team summary

  • Blocker count is now at 12, some of them are owned by other teams (in Gaia::Settings)

  • Working with Joe, Ivan on a resolution of bug 975343 (DSDS info in device info in Settings – one last unowned 1.4 blocker)
  • 1.3T: Dominic is working on bug 987022 as an workaround to memory constraint in Tarako.
  • keyboard2: All code have been converted to constructor pattern; currently working on tests and layout loading.
  • 3rd-party keyboard: OOP enabled on master/1.5.
  • Copy-paste: No update; will start working only after Gecko have WIP patch.
  • lock screen: Modularization (LockScreenWindow etc) to be landed this week. Next: move to an independent pre-load app. Need to sync with madai partner on what they need.
  • Window Management: Landing bug 961800 (Child window factory; haida related work)
  • Build script: The patch introducing an objdir to Gaia bug 897352 is ready but need to resolve some Windows situration.
  • System2: bubble-tea patches is being landed individually instead, more bug WIP.
  • Setting2: AMD patch landed, MVVM patch to land this week and panels to be moved next.

GFX (milan)

  • Graphics team is back from the sequestered “tiling on B2G” work. We are catching up, it may take time to get to your items. Just let us know.

  • Graphics work week coming up next week. The schedule is in the works, but the goals and sessions are filling up: https://intranet.mozilla.org/Graphics/WorkWeek201303

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

  • Cloud Services workweek in MV, Mar 31 – Apr 4
  • Firefox Accounts on FxOS (spenrose)

    • Core UI is now in gaia master

    • So start developing your apps with FxA signin!
  • Sync (ckarlof)

    • Please keep testing beta and nightly

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

NOTE: JavaScript work week this week in Toronto: Agenda

NOTE: Part of the team was out last week for GDC

  • Compiler (JIT)

    • bug 948229: Landed removal of inline-frame-profiling from Ion
  • Garbage Collection
    • n/a
  • Front End and Other
    • bug 983577: TypedObject array sequential map significantly slower than Array map

    • bug 983486: Landed code to collect parallel arenas between iterations (Bug 983486)

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

Layout team Q2 goals draft (send feedback to jet:)

  • Table Rendering with DisplayLists
  • Layout to Moz2D

  • GFx work items

    • {Q2?} APZC Desktop

    • E10S BasicCompositor
    • GFx tiling
    • Accelerated Filters
      • spec work

      • shader & support work
  • Animations & Transitions

    • transitions/animations spec editing

    • transitions refactoring to match new spec (bug 960465)
    • frame reconstruction (bug 625289)
  • OMTA on non-B2G Platforms (bug 980770)

    • test_animations covering OMTA

    • fix correctness bugs (cascading, etc.)
    • turning on on other OMTC platforms (Mac/Android)
  • Web Animations

    • provide an API for querying basic properties of running CSS animations/transitions
  • Ship and/or unprefix:

    • position:sticky

    • Font-features that need fallback support (eg. small-caps)
  • 3D Transforms

    • interop bugs and spec improvement (bug 976365)

    • implement preserve-3d proposal
    • perf work
    • {Q2?} plane splitting
  • {Q2?} CSS object-fit/object-position
  • CSS Fonts

  • font load events
  • {Q2?} unicode-range
  • Font Inflation and Reflow-on-Zoom

    • both implementation bug fixing and spec work

    • -moz-text-size-adjust
  • {Q2?} CSS Filters (project with Adobe)

  • {Q2?} CSS Masking (project with Adobe)
  • {Q2?} CSS Compositing (project with Adobe)
  • ImageLib

    • {Q2?} RasterImage for multiple images

    • Media Fragments support

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • First MediaStreamGraph refactors about to start landing

  • Those will enable moving the echo cancellation to getUserMedia (bug 694814) which should continue improving AEC quality. Those patches are up for review.
  • May experimentally turn on noise reduction in getUserMedia globally. Adjustable via media.peerconnection.noise_enabled
  • Work continuing with Cisco on OpenH264, starting to involve other teams. Target is Firefox 33.
  • Expecting to land update of webrtc.org code (latest stable branch) to match what will be in Chrome 34. Target is next week.
  • Working to improve Opus performance on FxOS

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • New landing date for HTTP cache v2 is early May

    • we may need help if your code is made orange by cache2 and it’s doesn’t appear to be our fault :)
  • HTTP/2 draft 10 in review

  • 10 year old Download manager bug (bug 237623) getting close–we may start to report incomplete transfers as an error to necko consumers

Performance (vladan)

  • Vladan on PTO starting Wednesday, April 2nd (next week) to Friday, April 18th. Direct all inquiries to Avi Halachmi (:avih <ahalachmi@mozilla.com>)

The files above show up in more than 50% of Telemetry main-thread I/O submissions. The reported I/O is done outside startup and shutdown

  • bug 935482: Starting work on detecting new sources of main-thread I/O in automated tests

  • bug 970495: Switch SessionFile.read() to use the native OS.File read() – startup time benefit
  • bug 962573: New crop of Firefox power-usage bugs
  • Consider using ask.mozilla.org, a StackOverflow style forum for Gecko platform questions

Seceng (mmc)

<Read Only>

  • bug 985627 – Parts of application reputation hit stable in FF 28, had to get rolled back in a hotfix because of network side effects

  • bug 985623 – Trying again in FF 29
  • Lightbeam 1.0.9 out, with fixes for Australis and data uploading

Shumway (mbx)

  • “Are We Flash Yet?” gallery to preview Shumway content without installing Shumway add-on: http://www.areweflashyet.com/shumway/gallery

  • New WebGL compositor coming soon
  • New ActionScript->TypeScript->JavaScript bindings

WebAPI (overholt)

  • baku has been porting DataStore to C++, starting with DataStore service

  • bent is working on PBackground (a top-level IPDL protocol) and getting IDB ported to it
  • janv has been re-working our internal quota manager API and moving it to PBackground

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

  • Firefox’s start-up memory consumption, as measured by AWSY, has almost doubled in the past two years. While this isn’t reason to panic, it is worth investigation. This dev-platform thread discusses the contribution of new system compartments, and whether they can be avoided.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 8.63 (Previous Week: 4.09).

  • 20 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers are getting into the normal range, though Aurora still needs more uptake and beta seems to be somewhat on the high side – we’re still investigating.

  • Watch Planet Mozilla for a soon-to-come post from KaiRo on Effectiveness of the Stability Program (with long-term crash graphs).

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

  • (dholbert): Introduce Kip (Kearwood Gilbert) recent hire on Layout team, out of Vancouver

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

13:42 KaiRo: bsmedberg: any audible from you on stability for the platform meeting?
13:42 bsmedberg: no
13:42 KaiRo: thanks
13:43 KaiRo: cpeterson: no audible from stability today
13:43 cpeterson: ok
13:55 cpeterson: is anyone joining the Engineering meeting from MV?
13:56 cpeterson: dougt ^
13:59 davidb: �we need MV on first
14:01 bsmedberg: where's SF?
14:02 RyanVM|sheriffduty: dholbert: ooo, what's the new MTV room naming scheme?
14:02 RyanVM|sheriffduty: cpeterson: give the all-clear here when we're good to log back in?
14:02 robcee: ok bai let us know when we can / should / if rejoin
14:02 cpeterson: everyone can log back in now
14:03 RyanVM|sheriffduty: tries to discern what the green screen in the background at MV is
14:06 dougt: cpeterson: yes
14:06 cpeterson: dougt: nm
14:06 dveditz: mtg notes for those looking: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-03-25
14:07 dveditz: RyanVM|sheriffduty: there are 4 "quadrants" in MV for conference names.
14:08 dveditz: one is "space" (mostly solar system objects, plus a couple closer stars), another is super-heros, another is star-wars, and the one closest to the platform team area is Sci-fi TV shows
14:16 overholt: cpeterson means "Lovely Toronto"
14:52 Disconnected

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-03-2511:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

25-March-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-03-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

  • KaiRo would like to nominate XtC4UaLL for helping with undoing changes on MozillaWiki over the weekend by people who think editing a public wiki and “defacing” pages there constitutes “1337 hacking”. (See bug 986832 for more background.)

Upcoming Events

Monday, 24 March

Developer Relatoins published the first edition of “DevPulse” today. This provides highlights about what is happening among web & app developers worldwide, and is intended to foster greater points of collaboration among various groups at Mozilla to support them. You can read past and current issues on the DevRelations wiki: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Engagement/Developer_Engagement/DevPulse and send feedback to diane@mozilla.com

Wednesday, 26 March

  • Homebrew Website Club Meeting, 18:30-19:30 simultaneously at Mozilla SF and MozPDX. Description:

    Are you building your own website? Indie reader? Personal publishing web app? Or some other digital magic-cloud proxy?

    If so (or you want to!), come on by and join a gathering of people with like-minded interests. Bring your friends that want to start a personal web site. Exchange information, swap ideas, talk shop, help work on a project…

    Any questions? See the wiki page] or irc://irc.freenode.net/indiewebcamp.

Thursday, 27 March

  • Pixlfest, Oklahoma City, OK, US

    • Luke Crouch speaking, Developer Relations sponsoring
  • PragueJS, Prague, Czech Republic
    • Frédéric Harper speaking on Firefox OS

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Webmaker

Speaker Location: nonverbal

  • Webmaker won a prize for our Thimble tool from Common Sense Media!
  • We’re hosting monthly “Geekouts” on the HOMAGO.com (stands for Hanging Out, Messing Around, Geeking Out) for community members to connect on specific topics

    • This Thursday, March 27th at 12:00pm EDT, Karen Smith from Hive Toronto is hosting a discussion about how you can teach the web without laptops and in an engaging and participatory way.

Open Badges

Speaker Location: nonverbal

  • Mozilla BadgeKit is now available in private beta! Know how to build your own front end website to run it, or want to integrate it into your MoFo project? Fill out this form.

Mozilla Science Lab

Speaker Location: nonverbal

Policy & Advocacy

Speaker location: nonverbal

  • The Web We Want campaign has just announced its 2014 Small Grants Program to find events or actions that will get people involved in debating, celebrating, and imagining the Web they Want.

    • People can apply for any amount between $1,000 and $5,000.

    • Applications due by April 7th. Here’s an action idea: host a ‘quilting bee’ in schools, libraries, youth clubs, etc., where you teach people digital skills by showing them how to make their own part of the Web We Want interactive quilt using Mozilla’s Webmaker tools and curriculum.
    • Apply for a grant at https://webwewant.org/2014-grants/

Open News

Speaker location: nonverbal

  • Catch the Open News team at these events over the next few weeks:

Web Compatibility

Speaker Location: nonverbal

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Robyn Chau Events Project Manager Game Developers Conference SF No https://wiki.mozilla.org/Games/GDC https://wiki.mozilla.org/Games/GDC

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Maisha Cannon Mat Cadwell San Francisco Mountain View Recruiting
Arcadio Lainez Eric Petitt Mountain View San Francisco Engagement
Lars Hansen Naveed Ihsanullah Toronto Norway JavaScript
Junior Hsu Marco Chen Taipei (Recording) Taipei Software Engineer

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Engagement

PR


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

20-March-2014

Mobile: 2014-03-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2014-04-28

Topics for This Week

Snippets
Started testing snippets in Nightly yesterday – please report bugs if you see any!

Beta Hotness
Firefox Accounts + Sync and Webapps merged to Firefox Beta (Fx29). Huge shout out to AaronMT: Aaron’s hard work and infinite patience has been absolutely essential to the Firefox Accounts + Sync effort on Android and Desktop.

Tiles
We will start the basic work for Tiles in Fx31. It will be broken into different phases of work, each slated for a different release. For Fx31, we will look at adding default bookmark-like tiles that appear in the empty thumbnails. We’ll do some open posts to get the community involved in picking the set of default bookmark/tiles.

UI Telemetry
We plan to push UI Telemetry in Fx31 and will create a Hack Week next week to get the current WIP code landed.

Firefox Hub
Work continues to get Firefox Hub feature complete for Fx31.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • vivek fixed bug 959382 – Create BaseTest.setPreferenceAndWaitForChange helper method (first patch)

  • Vlad Tanase fixed bug 976144 – Don’t show progress bar on load of about: pages

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • Figuring out ServiceWorkers on Android. Lots of progress made, but hornets nest of startup issues remains.

JChen

<Read Only>

Past week

  • Working on Java/JS communication in test harness

  • Working on automated BHR processing

Fixed

Working on

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: Cleaned up Roku NDK Port. Started working with device but had issues with white listing.

  • This Week: Work with Roku engineer to get code on device.

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

  • Done

  • In progress
    • bug 946022 – Implement requestAutocomplete for Firefox for Android

jdover

  • Finished up home panel folders / filters

  • Further work on tab switcher prototype
  • Focusing back on download manager and web activity support

fixed

current

sola

This week

  • bug 968308 – UI telemetry for home panels

  • bug 857990 – Save/Restore scroll position for an article in Reader Mode
  • bug 909618 – Remember about:home tab selection
  • bug 959297 – Get description and approx. reading time for reading list items

liuche

<Read Only>

Margaret

<Read Only>

Highlights

  • Home banner bugs

  • Hub RSS and user testing add-ons
  • PTO Thursday/Friday this week

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  •  :(

Present

  • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

  • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 965548 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap
  • bug 957894 – Update account pickling code for Firefox Account

Future

esawin

Fixed

Working on

Summary

  • finishing and landing helper app patches

  • fixing shutdown crash for debug builds

Next week

  • house moving

RNewman

<Read Only>

Highlights

  • Sync scheduling, reviews, etc.

  • Yakking.

Fixed

Working on

nalexander

<Read Only>

Highlights

  • Reviewing sync scheduling, coding, etc.

  • Next wave for FxAccounts.
  • Yakking.

Fixed

Working on

BLassey

  • bug 928096 – UI for tab streaming

    • selection dialog landed

    • recording indicator patch up for review
    • next up is putting thumbnails in the selection dialog
  • bug 980197 – on long press of a phone number, select the whole phone number, landed
  • bug 979470 – When a phone number is highlighted, offer to call it from the context menu or action bar
  • bug 983439 – AAPT should ignore mercurial merge conflict files

MFinkle

  • In MoTo next week

  • Picking up Roku casting support again

Ian Barlow

  • Meetings

  • Telemetry Dashboards

Arun

  • Form Autofill designs are complete. Bugs are being filed as I speak. Here’s the metabug:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=985516

  • PDF.js bugs to follow soon.
  • Next in line: Bug 663803, Bug 762298

WebRT

  • team remains focused on release blockers, bug fixes, and minor enhancements

  • we’re GO for Fx29 and will solicit testing during beta cycle
  • bouncing off zarro blookers
  • Noteworthy Bugs:
    • bug 985184 – WebappsUpdateTimer.js not packaged with Fennec (fixed, uplift requested)

    • bug 985195 – WebappsUpdateTimer shares timer ID with nsUpdateService (fixed, uplift requested)
    • bug 984028 – some apps have default Android icon at some resolutions (fixed)

Feature Focus

Fx29, Ships on 04/29
Fx30, Ships on 06/10
Fx31, Ships 7/22
Fx32, Ships on 09/02

Round Table

  • crash rate for Firefox 28 is 1.5 per/100 adu, Population is still quite small so the number may move around a bit. Though this is the lowest crash rate for quite some time.

  • Have some video regressions in 28

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-03-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop & Platform

Current Releases

  • 28.0 released! All Pwn2Own fixed! Schedule not slipped! We Rock!

Beta (29)

  • 29.0b1 is with QA, shipping tomorrow (thurs) am

    • We will be watching for Sync account uptake and any indication of issues with that

    • Metro is still enabled for now, waiting for clean pull that doesn’t break users on update

Aurora (30)

  • Will be unthrottled Friday

Firefox Mobile

Beta (29)

Aurora (30)

Nightly (31)

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Watching Firefox 28 release, nothing conclusive to report on yet, we will have more feedback in a day or two.

Public Australis Feedback report, https://blog.mozilla.org/useradvocacy/2014/03/18/the-next-big-thing-for-firefox-and-how-we-listen-to-our-users/

We have a full battery of surveys and feedback for Australis in Beta, more coming soon along with second round of Aurora feedback.

Mobile

Watching Firefox 28 release, nothing conclusive to report on yet, we will have more feedback in a day or two.

Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team

Mobile

  • Android version distribution for end of February puts JellyBean at 62% of all active Android devices, Gingerbread at 19%, Ice Cream Sandwich at 15% and KitKat at 2%.

  • Microsoft is rumored to be dropping licensing fees for Windows Phone devices for select OEMs.
  • The Netherlands started to allow network agnostic SIM cards, which would allow users to change the network that their phone is connecting to as they desire. If implemented internationally, this could remove the need for roaming and multiple-SIM phones.
  • Google released Android Wear Developer Preview, a version of its operating system targeted at wearable devices. The SDK will be released later this year. One of the most promoted features is Google Now and the value proposition revolves around being contextually aware and smart, helpful and in need of minimal interaction. Motorola has announced a watch based on the Andtoid Wear that will launch in summer 2014.
  • Chrome introduced hands-free voice search.
  • Google and Facebook control 2/3 of the us mobile ad market, according to eMarketer. Between them, they control 66% of the ad revenues, followed by Twitter, Pandora and Yahoo. Google is on top with 46%, while Facebook has a 21% marketshare.

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Alien Nation (2nd Floor) Conference room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

19-March-2014

SeaMonkey: 2014-03-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> Ratty

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)
We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ has not been updated since November 2012, the last version listed is 2.14 (bug 956561); move blog to blog.mozilla.org if possible Assigned: mcsmurf.

    • Mcsmurf says that it looks like we might be getting a blog on blog.mozilla.com.

    • KaiRo will do some DNS magic to get it mirrored at blog.seamonkey-project.org
    • Ratty managed to get Kerz’s contact address but totally forgot to follow this up. FAIL.

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • New breakage: bug 983536 libpango version >= 1.22.0 required on Linux.

  • bug 977676 SeaMonkey’s puppet broken due to requirement of ffxbld ldap password.
  • Python has been updated on all buildboxen!
  • We are perma-orange on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta due to problems with tests
    • Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.

    • bug 908090 ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5. We do have python 2.7 installed but our build system is picking up python 2.5 instead.
      • ewong’s patch is waiting for review. It was manually patched on the master; but, was reverted and the buildmaster was reconfigured and so the changes are gone. Need to have the patch pushed officially in order for this bug to be fixed.
    • pymake is failing with “invalid syntax” again because of an outdated Python.
    • Priority on fixing this and l10n repacks after 2.24 release.(No ETA yet)
    • bug 943740 is tracking the progress (or lack of one) in building trunk and aurora on Linux & Mac from the downloading user’s POV. (Windows nightlies are still appearing on schedule — or were until a day or two ago.)
  • No langpacks since 29th August on trunk. Needs investigating.
    • Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.

    • In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.
  • Buildmaster is up and running.
    • Callek is hand-approving requests for CLOSED TREE landings at the moment.

    • Due to the master having some mysql issues, Callek has put a halt on the mysql updates, which affects the tbpl. So nothing is showing in tbpl atm.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer has mostly completed the coding. Next step is consultation with mozilla-central build peers on landing the patches and also getting implicit permission to add several new top level directories to mozilla-central.

Release Train

We managed to get two betas out in the last two weeks.

  • SeaMonkey 2.25 beta 2 was released on March 9.

  • SeaMonkey 2.25 beta 3 was released on March 14.
  • SeaMonkey 2.25 final is scheduled for March 19.
  • Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.24

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (1)
fixed (9)

2.Next

  • Current breakages:

  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • bug 805374 Remove Character Encoding menu entries that are not in the Encoding Standard. Tracked in:
      • bug 943732 Port the new Character Encoding menu to SeaMonkey.
    • Our front end Sync UI needs to be updated as the old backend is going away in Gecko/Firefox 31. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly.
    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
    • bug 831208 (asyncContentPrefsUse) Refactor asyncContentPrefs consumers to use the async API. Tracked in:
      • bug 909093 Update SeaMonkey to use nsIContentPrefService2. Mcsmurf and Neil@parkway are currently working on this.
    • bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
      • bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
    • bug 627699 Port GTK2 to GTK3. Tracked in:
      • bug 882036 Port GTK2 to GTK3 – SeaMonkey Part.

      • A Red Hat person seems to be working on the GTK3 integration.
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Bugs: Low Hanging Fruit

Not necessarily Good First Bugs but minor fixes that shouldn’t need advanced coding skills.

  • bug 795002 Improve detection of valid feed urls in messengerdnd.js (Port relevant bits of bug 737115).

  • bug 960566 Move inline scripts and styles into separate files for SeaMonkey privileged about: pages
  • bug 973299 Port bug 969247 Remove or replace DOM_VK_ENTER and NS_VK_ENTER
  • Port Firefox bug 726978 Remove useless NS_New(Native)LocalFile calls in nsBrowserApp.cpp
  • bug 978463 [Findbar] Command-E should set Find term to selected text (Port bug 326743)

Needs investigation/QA wanted?

  • bug 984133 comm-release build failure on moz.build during configure

  • bug 983689 preferences window too big for netbook
  • bug 981281 Ctrl + left/right arrow skips words with leading/trailing punctuation [Firefox not affected so must be something SM specific]

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 19 new, 9 fixed, 11 triaged.

  • Low-Medium triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
23 review
6 super-review
1 ui-review
8 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.

  • New: We will need to update our Sync UI code due to the new Sync API. Also we need to check if we are allowed to create FX accounts from our UI Since the new Sync accounts are FX accounts.[IanN] I’m sure I saw a question about FX accounts and branding.

Modern Theme rework (Patrick Dempsey)

Ratty has been tracking the Modern theme rework by Patrick Dempsey. Here are his reports so far:

5th March:

I have completed large and small icons for the primary toolbar icons for Editor, Messenger/smime, and most of Messenger. Am currently working on the Addressbook set which will round out Messenger. From these it will be easy to generate new icons for Taskbar and the Addons Manager. I’ve also created a new set of icons for the Formatting Toolbar for Editor which is updated slightly to reflect changes in current versions of MS Word, as well as the new Editor icons. You can see what I have so far here:

old-new-modern2.png

I am trying to balance the good and the bad points of the original work in the hopes of arriving at something that is an improvement and not just a rote reproduction. At this point I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the intentions and design guidelines of the original icon designer(s). Please let me know if you or anyone else has concerns about the direction I am going, or nits about the current state of the work.

10th March:

I now have the complete toolbar button set for Modern done in large and small icons sizes. I am now going to start building the secondary icons for each component. Hopefully by the next meeting I will have even more to show you!

old-new-modern3.png

17th March:

I’ve noticed that this bug about the taskbar globe icon keeps popping up:

bug 522023 Use a better globe icon in the taskbar

I’ve now got a decent-looking globe in both “Modern” and “Default” color schemes which can easily be re-purposed for the taskbar/Window menu (as well as used for the Addons Manager for Localization support):
publish-sample.png

I can mock-up some sample taskbars if you’d like.

Attachment Reminders

Suyash Agarwal has started to port attachment reminders to SeaMonkey MailNews. bug 984016 Attachment Reminder: Help prevent forgetting inclusion of attachments (Port TB bug 244455)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

ewong

  • Fixed:

  • Checkin-needed:(waiting for tree to be opened.)
    • bug 665708 – Gopher links show “Launch Application” in SeaMonkey 2.1

    • bug 904338 – Empty port line when create a Blogs & Newsfeeds account
    • bug 957895 – Bug 633937 added unnecessary three strings to messages.properties. Remove them.
    • bug 958128 – Jumplists stop updating when PC is idle
  • Review:

    • bug 840427 – Migrate SeaMonkey builders to using mock

    • bug 853720 – After bug 827446, SeaMonkey doesn’t know mozcrash.
    • bug 908090 – ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5
    • bug 922076 – Switch tests to using moz.build and manifests
    • bug 934492 – Adjust the languages preference pane to take into account Bug 910192 which removes intl.charset.default and deduces the fallback from the locale
    • bug 938673 – Add context menu to status bar padlock icon
    • bug 949884 – disable pulseaudio in SeaMonkey
    • bug 956007 – Remove front end for removed x-user-def font preferences
    • bug 967492 – Remove “Personas” from Help (Update text)
    • bug 970475 – Use unprefixed box-sizing internally
  • Working On:

    • bug 110904 – attach signature fails silently on bad paths

    • bug 507676 – Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 837649 – [Tracking Bug] Stop OSX 10.5 support for SeaMonkey project
    • bug 837650 – Stop support for OSX 10.5 in suite/ tree
    • bug 863747 – Add option to disable Location bar history
    • bug 918474 – Default Search dropdown doesn’t get refreshed after adding new search engine
    • bug 928632 – When the birth year is empty, SeaMonkey puts 1900 and in English language

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 971305 [en-GB] Remove Google as a content handler for feeds and add some new ones

    • bug 981444 Update en-GB for Gecko 29
  • Pending check in:
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
    • bug 778534 Use image instead of html:img in instant messaging
  • Working on:
    • bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)

    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

mcsmurf

  • Reviewed bug 975362 Support HTTP cache v2 API in the UI

  • Reviewed bug 977048 Close icon only works for click-to-play plugins
  • Fixed bug 921018 RE-Add “URL Protocol” from SeaMonkeyURL key
  • Landed patch from bug 856208 Stop using global-history;2 in SeaMonkey code

Neil

Fixed on comm-central:

  • bug 977048 Close icon only works for click-to-play plugins.
This patch will need to be uplifted to comm-beta. Unfortunately I didn’t realise that it needed to be uplifted so it missed the release.

Fixed on mozilla-central:

  • bug 937407 Autoscroll sometimes leaks an event listener.

Working on:

  • bug 514280 NS_GET_IID can be used on classes which don’t actually declare their own IID.

  • bug 948901 Character encoding menu doesn’t work correctly in the FTP directory view.

Stalled due to broken test:

Waiting for reivew:

  • bug 943732 Port the new Character Encoding menu to SeaMonkey.
This patch will need to be uplifted to comm-aurora.
  • bug 909093 Update SeaMonkey to use nsIContentPrefService2.

Ratty

Fixed since the last meeting:

  • bug 984110 nsNetscapeProfileMigratorBase.cpp(457) : error C2440: ‘typecast’ : cannot convert from ‘nsGetterAddRefs<T>’ to ‘nsISupports **’

Waiting for check-in:

Working on:

  • bug 973530 Add UI to access the remote debugger preferences.

  • bug 797240 Update suite/common/app-license.html to reference MPL2 and fix inclusion into about:license
  • Build Thunderbird with external api
    • bug 980356 Make nsMessengerWinIntegration.cpp compile with frozen linkage. Ready for check-in.

    • bug 984155 Build Thunderbird with frozen linkage / external API – Windows fixes. Has review but needs a new patch because I broke normal builds.

Other stuff:

  • Did some reviews.

  • Liason with contributor on theme updates.
  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

rsx11m

Fixed on trunk (and aurora after the merge):

  • bug 958967 Change mixed content warning default from warn_viewing_mixed to warn_mixed_display_content and remove UI for old preference.

Investigating:

  • bug 960566 Move inline scripts and styles into separate files for SeaMonkey privileged about: pages.

Other:

  • Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.

  • Kept an eye on bug 968270 and bug 969358. (landed for 2.25b3)
  • End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.

stefanh

Working on:

  • bug 957281 Help button should be positioned at the lower end of the preferences window [Toolkit].

  • bug 973644 Port bug 967970 Set NSDisablePersistence to prevent disk leaks.

Any other business?

  • Daylight Saving Time starts in Europe end of March. We are moving to 12:00 UTC with the April 1 meeting.

  • [Ratty] KaiRo reminded us that we need to grow our contributor community. I’m not sure where we could discuss this. I have no idea on how to do this. Perhaps we can get some Engagement experts from Mozilla to give us some suggestions?
    • [IanN] might have a chat with some people and see if they can point me in the right direction.

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2014-03-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • No progress on bug 976479 from last week. Will attempt to bisect on Try and backout regressing patch if found.

  • bug 983948 tracks a big slowdown in Linux debug mochitest-bc. Appears to be related to GC frequency.
Stability

Other
  • bug 984230 is shipped in 28 – regressed h.264 video playback on certain devices, doesn’t present in FF29, QA looking into it to see if we can find a fix that would justify a respin

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

  • Firefox 28.0 released

  • Metro is still currently enabled in pre-release channels while bug 981166 is looking to cleanly remove it without breaking current users
  • We’ve MERGED!
  • Australis and new Sync begin the 6 week beta cycle headed toward public release this Thursday – please please please be using Beta for the coming weeks to help catch *anything* we can fix prior to ship
  • Reminder that Sylvestre is getting his stripes by being the point RM for FF29, Lukas shadowing
Next Merge: April 28, 2014 Next Release: April 29, 2014
Trains
Central: 31 Aurora: 30 Beta: 29 Release: 28
23 bugs (0 bugs last week) 51 bugs (58 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 30 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 29 Trackers (non-security)

FxOS

  • mozilla-central/master are now v1.5, and 1.4 is now branched

    • Gecko 30 (the underlying 1.4 platform version) will be on mozilla-aurora

    • Gaia 1.4 has moved to the 1.4 branch
  • Security uplifts are no longer needed on the B2G18 branch and no 1.1 or 1.1HD builds will be generated
  • Product Team is working on 1.5 feature planning and https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/Roadmap should be updated soon along with more messaging on schedule
  • Wrapping up work on 1.3 and focus completely on 1.3T and stabilization for 1.4

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

  • RelEng will be having a post-mortem for merge day issues, in particular why m-c was closed for so long. Please contact :hwine if you want to be notified of this meeting.

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

<Read Only>

  • Working hard at our goals and they are on track.

  • Now that Gaia has branched we will be landing more a11y goodness on master.
  • Trevor has some a11y events working across process (e10s).
  • MarcoZ is driving our position on assistive technology detection from content via bug 979298.

Developer Tools (Mossop)

24 bugs fixed since last week

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

  • General desktop update

    • Australis and Sync riding the train to beta

    • New Desktop process rolled out to half of the team, and will expand to the rest of the team as Australis/Sync in 29 work winds down
    • Apart from Australis/Sync, the team is making progress on: directory tiles, translation, and many other smaller polish fixes/improvements
  • Changes to the Firefox privacy in support of Telemetry Experiments have been proposed in mozilla.dev.privacy, which will involve turning Telemetry on by default in the beta channel.

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

    • Flame: white screen and DSDS issue (http://goo.gl/9uuEb4)

    • Flatfish: MAC OSX 10.9 tool chain issue
    • Vixen: working with Via to a community project as flatfish.
    • Tarako: combo apps scenario and keep reducing rom size.
    • Dolphin: Gonk-KK build system integration (http://goo.gl/mjd0ay)
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • New member: Jocelyn Liu

    • The first time in-house WebBluetooth API discussion with Gaia developers has been done. One more week would be needed to get the draft done.
    • 1.3+
      • bug 981458 – [PTS][HFP] Invalid CIEV format in battery status test case (landed)

      • bug 979733 – [PTS][HFP] Unexpected CIEV in 3-way calling test case (resolved dup)
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • Media Playback work week @ Taipei, 3/10 ~ 3/14. All team members attended and gave presentations.
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)

    • About:Service got r+. Ready to land.

    • Took over Feature Detection API implementation (bug 983502). Target version is FxOS 1.5.
    • More functions in Device Storgate API are needed to sense state change and distinguish real/fake volumes, sharable, formattable … etc. Target version is also FxOS 1.5.

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • bug 911046 WebRTC OmxCodec coding path support.

  • bug 971641 – [MediaEncoder] Support AMR audio format in 3GP
  • bug 961674 – [gonk-kk] gdb from prebuilts toolchain cannot work
  • bug 922680 – Run b2g reftests out of process

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • bug 889737 – [MMI] Unify both sendMMI() and dial() functions

  • bug 964228 – Race condition in NetworkStatsService.jsm
  • bug 975356 – [DSDS][RIL] iccId is not correctly set on the message received from SystemMessenger
  • bug 945089 – There is some case that concatenated SMS data is lost
  • bug 933588 – B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++.
  • bug 917102 – Import Cert by WifiManager
  • bug 917176 – List imported Certs by WifiManager.
  • bug 978027 – [B2G] Need to implement API for getCdmaPrlVersion.
  • bug 949675 – Support HTTP->Rtsp Channel redirects.
  • bug 971593 – [RTSP] Resource leak of HTMLMediaElement containing RTSP media resource
  • bug 975778 – [B2G] [Emulator] Support CDMA_FLASH command for Cdma call waiting and 3way calling senarion
  • bug 984327 – B2G RIL: dun apn type is not included in isNetworkTypeSecondaryMobile(…)
  • bug 970263 – B2G NFC: Unlock screen when running marionette test.

Firefox OS Systems – Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

Meeting note

Team summary:

  • More than half of the time of the team are occupied by 1.3/1.4 blocking bugs.

  • DSDS Settings 1.4 looks managable, some 1.4? bugs need clarify.
  • Copy-paste Gaia work to be addressed in 1.5 release
  • New keyboard codebase is targeted to ship in 1.5
  • Bubble-tea is merging
  • Lock screen changes is likely usable by madai release, working on lockscreen-as-app interfaces
  • Gaia build script refactor is on-going, a major “copy rule” patch is ready to land.
  • System2 refactor is on-going, bubble-tea conflicts need to be resolved.
  • Settings2 refactor is on-going

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Turned off Nagle algorithm for WebRTC DataChannels bug 976115

  • Added more stats to about:webrtc (RTT)
  • Updated SCTP library from upstream bug 916427
  • Landed first cut of resolution/frame-rate adaptation due to load and bandwidth (not enabled by default) bug 877954
    • We’ll be tuning and enabling this during 31
  • Landed the fix for upstream bustage in a/v sync code bug 981680 and uplifted to 29
  • Fixed audio GetUserMedia on Android Gingerbread devices bug 974378

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • We fixed issue with using stale DNS for Amazon webservices and other sites: bug 981447

  • Workweek last week–made lots of progress on prioritizing future goals.

Performance (vladan)

  • bug 772484: It’s now possible to cancel the “incompatible add-ons” dialog that pops up after a Firefox version upgrade

  • bug 961665: OS.File’s read() functionality was re-implemented in C++ for better performance
  • bug 873060: Assisting with making the Australis “customization mode” transition animation smoother
  • bug 967619: Talos tests will soon be able to profile Firefox during the interesting parts of the test, and will produce a link to the resulting profile
  • bug 978974: Making it possible to run Win32 unit tests on Amazon EC2 (Windows Server 2012)

Blogs:

Seceng (mmc)

Please dogfood our new certificate verification library: mozpkix (formerly/also known as insanity::pkix)

WebAPI (overholt)

  • No update this week.

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

CritSmash (dbolter)

(No audible)

  • Heroic pwn2own engineering response! Great collaboration and focus.

MemShrink (njn)

  • No update.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 4.09 [1] (Previous Week: 6.51).

  • 19 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers for the “old” versions look good across channels, looking forward to seeing how this week’s releases/betas/auroras perform!

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

  • room reservation in new MV office?

  • about:healthreport for Android is now available in all the usual locales (shipped quietly last week)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributor Alexandru Niculae! Here are some highlights:

  • Arnaud Bienner fixed a color input problem (bug 975468).

  • Neil Rashbrook (NeilAway) corrected some test issues preventing splitting browser-chrome (bug 937407).
  • Giovanni Sferro (agi90) improved spec correctness for some HTML element types (bug 968637).
  • [first patch!] Tom Hindle corrected a contenteditable bug (bug 970363).
  • Andy Wingo (wingo) improved ES6 compliance (bug 901987).
  • Rik Cabanier added alpha support to canvas objects (bug 982480).
  • Rick Eyre (reyre) improved WebVTT compliance (bug 882664, bug 978163, bug 982183).
  • Tooru Fujisawa (arai) fixed a layout problem (bug 982302, bug 983570).
  • Martin Stransky worked on the GTK2->GTK3 port (bug 980249, bug 982694).
  • YF (Yang) made some addons tab text selectable (bug 616437).
  • Romain Perier added unreachable support to OdinMonkey (bug 947601).

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

10:26 KaiRo: bsmedberg: any audible for stability from you on the platform meeting today?
10:36 bsmedberg: KaiRo: well... going to talk briefly about telemetry experiments but that's not precisely stability
10:52 KaiRo: bsmedberg: yes, I guess that belongs in some other section - but surely interesting
10:53 KaiRo: cpeterson: so, no stability audible today - that said, bsmedberg wants to bring up telemetry experiments but not sure where that belongs
10:53 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok
10:54 cpeterson: I'll add it to the Roundtable
10:54 Waldo: repeat: have we perma-squatted a room in the new office for the platform meeting yet?
11:00 cpeterson: vidyo is sad
11:01 bajaj: cpeterson: does not work well for us as well from the new MV office
11:02 Waldo: bajaj: where are people meeting in MV?
11:02 bajaj: we are in startrek
11:02 cpeterson: bajaj: we are waiting for MV. do you think you all will be able to login?
11:02 KaiRo: also is seeing nothing on airmo
11:02 cpeterson: KaiRo: airmo is not live yet because we are waiting for MV
11:02 KaiRo: ah, ok
11:03 bajaj: cpeterson: we are trying to connect to Engineering, see no one though
11:03 RyanVM|sheriffduty: good...goooood...
11:04 KaiRo: another vidyo netsplit issue?
11:04 RyanVM|sheriffduty: ohai?
11:04 catlee: vidyo laggy
11:05 Waldo: we are in an apparently vidyo-issues room or something
11:05 RyanVM|sheriffduty: cpeterson: hot bugs?
11:05 bajaj: cpeterson: my notices and schedule section is read-only for FxOS
11:05 catlee: moto lost audio...
11:05 cpeterson: RyanVM: you didn't answer so we can loop back
11:05 cpeterson: to you
11:05 bajaj: :( given the vidyo challenges!
11:05 RyanVM|sheriffduty: cpeterson: you pinged?
11:05 cpeterson: on vidyo
11:05 KaiRo: airmo also lost audio
11:05 lmandel: Do others still have audio?
11:05 cviecco_adium: I am on vidyo in mv office in 'Engineering' but alas there is nobody here.
11:06 KaiRo: audio is back on airmo
11:06 catlee: gone again
11:06 KaiRo: yup
11:06 KaiRo: this is fun
11:06 catlee: jlin: we're having audio come and go in vidyo
11:07 catlee: we're in finch in MoTo
11:07 ctalbert: SF has lost connection to vidyo
11:07 cpeterson: if you can't hear me, we're going to end this meeting early.
11:07 cpeterson: thanks!
11:07 KaiRo: back
11:07 laura: mulitmaster vidyo!
11:07 Waldo: woo xor
11:07 Tyler: KaiRo: So here is the crash for 28, https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/efb9714c-0aa9-4e30-916b-e53402140318 which points to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=956967 which was supposedly fixed in 28 :/
11:08 catlee: whee
11:08 KaiRo: audio gone again on airmo
11:08 davidb: we are reconnecting to vidyo
11:08 davidb: (toronto)
11:08 Waldo: vidyoooooooooooooooo
11:08 davidb: (aka Tronna)
11:09 cpeterson: davidb: the meeting is aborted :|
11:09 lsblakk: most importantly, will telemetry by default cause me to glow in the dark?
11:09 lmandel: blassey: Thanks for stepping in
11:09 lsblakk: cpeterson: we're still going :)
11:09 lsblakk: blassey: took over
11:09 davidb: ok, we hear something now... on lmandel's laptop
11:09 lmandel: cpeterson: live on air mozilla
11:10 KaiRo: Tyler: hmm, could be a different crash that turns up the same signature, but not sure
11:12 Tyler: KaiRo: want me to file a new bug
11:12 Tyler: ?
11:14 blassey: is vladan on irc?
11:14 KaiRo: Tyler: probably makes sense
11:14 laura: I added a roundtable item if anyone cares to refresh
11:14 laura: no audible, just FYI
11:14 Waldo: woo, getting rid of crazy Java-by-macros code (!) (?)
...
11:16 laura: blassey: ^
11:17 KaiRo: blassey: no vioice update for stability
11:17 overholt: are we still looking for someone to work on bug 976479?
11:17 RyanVM|sheriffduty: overholt: yes
11:18 overholt: RyanVM|sheriffduty, k, I'll get back on that
11:18 blassey: vladan: we were just talking about getting a power monitoring rig for our pandas
11:18 blassey: and running that in automation
11:18 blassey: does that sound like a thing that would fit with what you're doing?
11:18 cviecco_adium: there is a link in the wiki page
11:19 RyanVM|sheriffduty: keeler: I think a couple backports missed aurora29, btw
11:19 dveditz: what was the problem with rooms joining?
11:19 dveditz: I did see one portland room on the call
11:19 keeler: RyanVM|sheriffduty: backports for mozilla::pkix/insanity::pkix?
11:20 RyanVM|sheriffduty: yes
11:20 KaiRo: dveditz: unknown vidyo problems
11:20 dveditz: odd that it seemed universal, yet not portland
11:20 keeler: RyanVM|sheriffduty: do you know which ones?
11:21 vladan: blassey mfinkle: a bit. our tests run on live pages, i don't know if you guys are ok with that. we also rely on Intel Power Gadget to get the power use info from the CPU & GPU, and we're also looking at Intel's Battery Life Analyzer. I think you guys can take a look at our tests and talk to rvitillo about lessons learned regarding confgiuration/reproducibility/etc
11:21 RyanVM|sheriffduty: keeler: one sec
11:22 vladan: blassey mfinkle: however, i think all of the power usage issues we've found so far also affect Fennec
11:22 cviecco_adium: ryanvm: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=982754
11:22 KaiRo: dveditz: we have seen some vidyo issues with people not being able to connect correctly yesterday and today in multiple meetings - I personally guess that some vidyo server being moved along with the MTV office has something to do with it, but I also heard that we might now be using a new vidyo server version
11:22 KaiRo: might all play into that
11:23 Callek: KaiRo: has that been raised to IT afayk?
11:23 vladan: blassey mfinkle: we're working with jmaher to make it possible to trigger these tests from try.. you can probably copy some pieces of what we've done
11:24 vladan: blassey mfinkle: our benchmark: https://github.com/vitillo/energia , power bugs found: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=962573
11:24 mfinkle: vladan, is that data found via automation now
11:24 RyanVM|sheriffduty: keeler: bug 978120, bug 978528
11:24 dveditz: I wonder if people who upgraded to new clients can't connect with old client people?
11:24 mfinkle: or is it manual?
11:25 mfinkle: vladan, i have a test rig for firefox android
11:25 dveditz: or if it's an issue with named project "rooms"
11:25 mfinkle: and want to setup some testing system
11:25 jlin: i was out for a bit
11:25 jlin: but yes IT knows re the vidyo troubles
11:25 jlin: looking into it
11:25 Mossop: dveditz: I updated my client a week or so ago and had no issue talking to people on old clients
11:27 keeler: RyanVM|sheriffduty: ok - thanks for the heads-up
11:27 vladan: mfinkle: the data in the power dashboard comes from rvitillo running the benchmark himself, but we're working on getting it into automation
11:27 vladan: mfinkle: ping rvitillo directly, he'll have a better idea of which parts can be reused
11:28 mfinkle: vladan, ok
11:28 mfinkle: thanks
11:29 hoosteeno: Preeti: the "gecko" link on the right side of this page is broken. what's the right url for that? http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/os/notes/1.3/
11:30 hoosteeno: next to "get the code'
11:30 KaiRo: Callek: not sure to what extent it has been brought up with the right people yet
11:30 KaiRo: Callek: ok, jlin says they're looking into it
11:31 KaiRo: jlin: is there some bug or similar that we can follow?
11:31 jlin: let me find something
11:32 Preeti: hoosteeno
11:32 Preeti: looking one sec
11:32 jlin: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=985009
11:33 jlin: kairo it's a moco bug though
11:33 Preeti: hoosteeno: https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-b2g28_v1_3
11:35 KaiRo: jlin: thanks - and most of us who are using vidyo all the time are moco anyhow :)

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-03-1811:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

18-March-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-03-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

Thanks to the countless people who worked hard to set up the new Mountain View office! It’s awesome!

Upcoming Events

This Week

  • Games Developer Conference March 17-21 in San Francisco

    • Mozilla booth and demos

    • Speakers: Martin Best, Vlad Vukicevic, Alon Zakai, Luke Wagner, Angelina Fabbro, Bill Maggs
    • Sponsored by: Marketplace, Developer Relations, and Platform teams
    • www.gdconf.com

Friday, 21 March

  • Edge Conference London, March 21

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: SF (johnath)

  • Today is merge day, and that means that Australis and new Sync are getting merged to Firefox Beta. \o/

  • Metro

Firefox Mobile

  • Sync and APK-based webapps moving to Beta

Webmaker

Speaker Location: nonverbal update

  • The Webmaker community explored the intersection of the Open Web w/ Open Ed. during Open Education Week last week. Doug Belshaw moderated a discussion in our Google + community–- feel free to add to the conversation.
  • Got web literacy curriculum? Help us build out open education resources that teach the mechanics, culture and citizenship of the web.

    • Send lesson plans, online tutorials, wiki pages, etc. to teachtheweb@mozillafoundation.org.
  • Global Hive- Mozilla is taking Hive global. Chris Lawrence, Senior Director of Webmaker Community and Hive Learning Networks, is publishing a series of blog posts outlining plans to establish Hive as a global effort linking local educators to an international community through the advancement of connected learning, web literacy, and digital skills.
  • Check out this volunteer’s amazing blog. In the last three weeks along, he’s documented:

    • WoMoz Maker Party

    • Hive Vizag Pop-Up
    • KidZilla Webmaker School Club event

Open Badges

Speaker Location: nonverbal update

  • Tons of stuff going on- check out the blog for updates on launching BadgeKit in private beta, successes at DML & SXSWEdu, and more!

Mozilla Science Lab

Speaker Location: nonverbal update

Policy & Advocacy

Speaker location: nonverbal update

  • Knight News Challenge — Submissions to the News Challenge close on March 18th, so now is the time to apply. As a reminder, the Challenge will award $2.75 million for breakthrough ideas around how to advance and protect the open web. The application is short (approx. 15 mins to complete) and the opportunity is significant. Let’s encourage our networks to submit their ideas. Learn more at www.newschallenge.org.
  • Happy Birthday, World Wide Web — Last week, Mozilla celebrated the birthday of the Internet by launching the Web We Want interactive quilt. The quilt is built off of webmaker and enables people to remix and personalize with the type of Web they want, and we’re seeing some very interesting submissions. We will continue to use this quilt throughout the Maker Party campaign and will use it as a frame for other campaigns. If you haven’t already done your remix, check it out at https://mozilla.makes.org/thimble/web-we-want-quilt_

Grow Mozilla

Speaker Location:Mountain View

We’re awarding Community Building Superstar Badges!

This month, we’ve been handing out shiny new Community Building Superstar Badges to people around the project who build community in awesome ways. Folks who have earned them to date include: Pierros Papadeas, Michelle Marovitch, Joel Maher, Emma Irwin, Jennie Rose Halperin, Henrik Mitsch, Brian Anderson, and Amie Tyrrel!

More information and a place to nominate community builders at: https://badges.mozilla.org/en-US/badges/badge/Community-building-rockstar – or reach out directly to me or David Boswell for more information.

Speaker Location: Toronto

The Coding Community meeting this week will be all about entry-level engagement, focusing on good first bugs, papercuts and other first-steps contributions to the codebase, with the goal of having a specific set of good-first-bugs for an upcoming engagement/fundraising event. It will take place Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 6:00:00 PM UTC (2:00 PM Eastern, 11:00 Pacific) in David Boswell’s vidyo room. If you have a collection of such bugs to hand, you should attend.

IT

Speaker Location: Mountain View

  • Bugzilla issues of last week – look out for the yammer post. — https://www.yammer.com/mozilla.com/#/Threads/show?threadId=377093214

  • Welcome to the shiny new office!
    • Softphone users – ringring doesn’t exist anymore, please use pbx.mtv2.mozilla.com

    • Wireless – Do NOT use Mozilla Guest, please use the Mozilla SSID, Accept the new wifi.mozilla.net certificate. Issues? Clear out your old Mozilla* wireless profiles
    • Wired – Ports under your desk are already lit up and are on the corp and voip vlans
    • Vidyo – New endpoint software, Room search is the only option. Some upstream issues are being worked on
    • Thank you to WPR, IT and our external partners AVDG for all the hard work!

Web Compatibility

Speaker Location: Toronto (miketaylr)

  • medium.com now you can see and create comments on Firefox for Android – thx Anton!

  • BBC iPlayer is now compatible with Firefox for Android.
  • mercadolibre/mercadolivre now serve the mobile site to Firefox for Android for all their sites in South America.
  • Lots of new testing by volunteers in Albania and Argentina
  • India leading the way in manual compatibility testing (big thanks to haseeb for leading the efforts!)

Report mobile site compat bugs.

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Kristin Baird Director of Integrated Marketing Vans Triple Crown of Surfing Brownbag Announcement SF No N/A N/A
Robyn Chau Events Project Manager Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2014 Moz SF No Activities Summary GDC Intranet Site
Amy Tsay Community Manager, AMO & Marketplace Community nominations of featured apps on Marketplace MV No Slides https://marketplace.firefox.com/nominate

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Jocelyn Liu Gina Yeh Taipei office Taipei office Firefox OS
Alison Shiue Brian Huang Taipei office Taipei office Firefox OS QA Engineer
Boris Chiou Steven Lee Taipei office Taipei office Firefox OS
Michelle Escalante Sheila Mooney Mountain View US Remote – WA Engineering Program Manager
Hope Nielson Jill Alvarez SF Office SF Office Recruiter

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress