Meeting Notes

30-April-2014

Mobile: 2014-04-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Shipped Fx 29!

  • Next Merge: 2014-06-09

Topics for This Week

Firefox Hub
Feed add-ons on track for Fx30. Hub add-on hackathon next week! Stay tuned for a blog post with details.

Etherpad for potential Hub add-ons

Firefox 29
Quick Share on Mainmenu, FxA/Sync, Webapp Runtime, Pageload Progressbar, Hide Default Search Engine & Banner/Snippet System.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Nathan Toone fixed bug 1001611 – Cannot build with custom set MOZ_APP_NAME

  • Marcos A. Di Pietro fixed bug 999069 – Use clear sans for about: pages and bug 999488 – Move reader mode listener registration from GeckoApp to BrowserApp
  • Alex Deaconu fixed bug 1000287 – Remove unnecessary log lines from GLController and bug 999680 – Check API level >= 16 in HardwareUtils.isTelevision
  • Vivek fixed bug 977167 – Open tabs should be filtered to exclude about:, chrome: etc. URLs prior to flushing to DB
  • Capella fixed a lot of bugs!
    • bug 997332 – Changing prefs in about:config often doesn’t get saved

    • bug 994664 – Improve SelectionHandler UI performance
    • bug 895463 – Orange caret indicator detaches from associated input field
    • bug 864582 – Clean up _sendMouseEvents
    • bug 980074 – Base Tests for text selection \o/

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

<Read Only>

  • Burnt a bunch of time investigating crashes (bugs 952721 and 1000538)

  • Refactoring headless gecko to be generic
  • Investigating webapp startup performance
  • Investigating ASAN testing

JChen

<Read Only>

Fixed

Working on

GCP

  • Last week

    • SafeBrowsing testing affordances, small bugs.

    • WebRTC 3.50 Android uplift
  • Next week
    • WebRTC 3.50 Android uplift

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: More WebRTC standalone refactoring.

  • This Week: Even more WebRTC standalone refactoring.

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

  • bug 999203 – Tabs always restore from last time, even if preference is disabled

  • Fixing up animating EditText, bug 997447
    • Blog post incoming
  • Ongoing bug 946022 – Implement requestAutocomplete for Firefox for Android

WesJ

<Read Only>

  • Working on Chromecast support using the Android SDK. Working patch in bug 901803.

  • Lots of reviewing
  • bug 1000552 – about:downloads content no longer persists across restarts
  • bug 998063 – Feed parser should support media:thumbnail

jdover

Past

Present

  • Search and reading list home screen widgets

  • Web Activities finally landed for webapps in nightly! Docs here
  • Web Activities / Web Intents standardization with Google and :sicking

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • Lots of in-progress patches for suggested sites:

Next week

  • Wrapped initial batch of patches for suggested sites

liuche

<Read Only>

  • Wrapping up “Remove Top Sites”/bookmarks-history handling (bug 921136, bug 913457)

  • Ideas/brainstorming around Contextual Hints
  • Oranges
  • Telemetry reviews

Margaret

<Read Only>

Highlights

  • Hub bugs and uplifts

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • bug 996313 – JavascriptMessageParser does not immediately end the test when a js assertion fails

  • bug 999750 – Recycle MotionEvents
  • bug 998426 – Use same constructor across API levels in shrunken BrowserToolbar’s LayoutParams
  • investigate bug 998001 – Intermittent testFindInPage | Exception caught – java.lang.NullPointerException

Present

  • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

  • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 997487 – Add UI telemetry to editing mode cancel button
  • bug 998000 – Create BrowserApp.cancelEditingMode for consistency with BrowserApp.enter/commitEditingMode
  • bug 1000149 – Simplify edit mode
  • bug 958889 – Make Fennec “Synced Tabs” tray display entry point to Firefox Account + Sync when user has no existing accounts

Future

  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off

  • bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests
  • bug 997477 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap on tablet

esawin

Summary

Fixed

Working on

RNewman

<Read Only>

  • Locale switching mostly finished and mostly through review. Build steps to go. Thanks to nalexander for being thorough!

  • Folks are adding stuff to FHR, and I’m reviewing it.
  • Fallout from send tab/third-party Sync services/etc.
  • Discussing contacts sync with those folks.
  • Random fixes, random reviews.

nalexander

Highlights

  • Build chickens coming home to roost: bug 997772, bug 917480, Android Support v13 library for ChromeCast.

  • Mentoring! Awesome folks: toonetown, vivek, deaconu. Very contributor, much satisfaction.

Fixed

Working on

BLassey

I alternate between banging my head against e10s printing and second screen

MFinkle

  • Telemetry

  • Second screen

Ian Barlow

<Read Only>

  • Firefox UX team meet-up this week, so expect longer than usual response times, sorry!

WebRT

  • shipped in 29!

  • Proposed Priorities for Next Development Cycle:
    • significant bugs

    • valuable minor enhancements
    • comprehensive unit/integration tests
  • Notable Issues:
    • bug 991397 – launching app installed outside Firefox Beta hangs firstrun – not uplifted; wontfix

    • bug 989294 – Synthetic APK never launches if downloaded outside Fx Marketplace – uplifted to Fx29+
    • bug 990125 – Duplicate reminders to update apps – uplifted to Fx29+
    • bug 993164 – APK Factory stage release/review has 502 – fixed on server
    • bug 889744 – Cannot install packaged apps from reviewer details page on Android – fixed by blocking bug 989806
    • bug 986085 – User-hand-holding to check the Unknown Sources checkbox – patch in review
    • bug 991394 – previously-installed apps stop running – under investigation
    • bug 995803 – crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException – under investigation

Feature Focus

<Read Only>
Here’s the roadmap: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Roadmap


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-04-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Desktop & Platform

Current Releases

Throttled Tuesday night due to quicker than usual uptake.

Firefox Mobile

Beta (30)

  • Fixed in time for beta: bug 996062 – [meta] Low-res and slow painting issues when scrolling subframes in Fennec

  • Ability to re-order existing panels in about:home, not via drag and drop (see My List: Manage current lists in settings), bug 942231
  • Evaluate pngquant for PNG size reduction bug 959833
  • Firefox Hub v1 (RSS feed support + 2 add-ons), ** See Home Feed and World Cup add-ons to be featured for Fx30
  • Added locale: Argentine Spanish (es-AR), bug 979250
  • Added locale: Mexican Spanish (es-MX), bug 979251
  • Added locale: Malay (ms), bug 979257
  • Added locale: Latvian (lv), bug 958021
  • Added locale: Indonesian (id), bug 960060
  • Added locale: Belarusian (be), bug 521981

Aurora (31)

Nightly (32)

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Australis is here: We are seeing roughly 4x volume of feedback than most releases.

  • Early survey results look positive for the release in general. We will have results either today or tomorrow to share

  • General feedback seems similar to what we’ve seen in Aurora and Beta. Full writeup with aggregated data to come with survey results
  • Investigating reports of scrolling issues on OSX Mavericks
  • Investigating reports of pdf printing issues (Bug 999284)

User Experience


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

29-April-2014

SeaMonkey: 2014-04-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> mcsmurf

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • -

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)
We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ has not been updated since November 2012, the last version listed is 2.14 (bug 956561); move blog to blog.mozilla.org if possible Assigned: mcsmurf.

    • Mcsmurf says that it looks like we might be getting a blog on blog.mozilla.com.

    • KaiRo will do some DNS magic to get it mirrored at blog.seamonkey-project.org
    • Ratty managed to get Kerz’s contact address but totally forgot to follow this up yet.

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • Callek has been working on migrating our Linux builders to CentOS 6 bug 795354. Puppetmaster has been updated. Ewong is able to login to these hosts and buildbot is installed. We still need to get everything setup for parity and do some slight tweaks to the puppet config, but we’re pretty close to useable.

    • with the merge, this issue will now affect the 2.27 beta releases for Linux
  • bug 983536 libpango version >= 1.22.0 required on Linux.
  • bug 977676 SeaMonkey’s puppet broken due to requirement of ffxbld ldap password.
  • Python has been updated on all buildboxen!
  • We are perma-orange on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta due to problems with tests
    • Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.

    • bug 908090 ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5. We do have python 2.7 installed but our build system is picking up python 2.5 instead.
      • ewong’s patch is waiting for review. It was manually patched on the master; but, was reverted and the buildmaster was reconfigured and so the changes are gone. Need to have the patch pushed officially in order for this bug to be fixed.
    • pymake is failing with “invalid syntax” again because of an outdated Python.
    • Priority on fixing this and l10n repacks after 2.24 release.(No ETA yet)
    • bug 943740 is tracking the progress (or lack of one) in building trunk and aurora on Linux & Mac from the downloading user’s POV. (Windows nightlies are still appearing on schedule — or were until a day or two ago.)
  • No langpacks since 29th August on trunk. Needs investigating.
    • Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.

    • In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.
  • Buildmaster is up and running.
    • Callek is hand-approving requests for CLOSED TREE landings at the moment.

    • Due to the master having some mysql issues, Callek has put a halt on the mysql updates, which affects the tbpl. So nothing is showing in tbpl atm.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer has mostly completed the coding. Next step is consultation with mozilla-central build peers on landing the patches and also getting implicit permission to add several new top level directories to mozilla-central.

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey 2.26 beta 2 was released on April 18.

  • SeaMonkey 2.26 final is scheduled for May 1.
  • Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.25

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (2)
targeted (1)
fixed (7)

2.26

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (0)
targeted (0)
fixed (8)

2.Next

  • Fixed since the last meeting:

    • bug 984948 folder pickers in the filter editor are empty.

    • bug 995755 adding new bookmarks is broken.
    • bug 901332 Google CalDAV OAuth2 authentication dialog not shown in SeaMonkey
    • bug 995706 I am not able to read, compose or send e-mail from my Yahoo Mail accounts
    • bug 943732 Port the new Character Encoding menu to SeaMonkey.
    • bug 909093 Update SeaMonkey to use nsIContentPrefService2.
  • Current breakages:
    • bug 995737 – adapt seamonkey for the ab remote content policy change; use permission manager instead of address book property.
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • Our front end Sync UI needs to be updated as the old backend is going away in Gecko/Firefox 31. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly.
    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
    • bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
      • bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
    • bug 627699 Port GTK2 to GTK3. Tracked in:
      • bug 882036 Port GTK2 to GTK3 – SeaMonkey Part.

      • A Red Hat person seems to be working on the GTK3 integration.
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Bugs: Low Hanging Fruit

Not necessarily Good First Bugs but minor fixes that shouldn’t need advanced coding skills.

  • bug 1996(longdesc) Support LONGDESC for IMG (Was WONTFIXed but is now back on the standards track).

  • bug 795002 Improve detection of valid feed urls in messengerdnd.js (Port relevant bits of bug 737115).
  • bug 812050 [modern] some dialog boxes clipped at the bottom. Need to add commonDialog.css to Modern.
  • bug 986889 sidebarOverlay.js#1653 should be using urlLit, not titleLit. (One line typo fix)
  • bug 992656 Deprecation warning on startup about ‘Livermarks’.
  • bug 1000303 An empty about:sync-tabs page looks broken when there are no tabs available.

Good student projects:

  • bug 528229 Want pref to narrow down quick search box to match sender only or all addresses.

    • We should probably port the Thunderbird quick filter.
  • bug 462629 Cannot access MIME-type and file associations in new Helper Applications pane.
  • Tabbed Browsing Enhancements:

Needs investigation/QA wanted?

  • bug 986816 when starting with mail window: some contents missing. (Intermittent bug).

  • bug 986874 Message pane opens by itself after selecting a junk mail message item.
  • bug 988599 new email window displays prior composed email.
  • bug 999863 Right Click->Delete in Bookmarks menu has no effect
    • Workaround: set mail.compose.max_recycled_windows to 0.
  • bug 990450 Update Seamonkey: Existing proxy settings lost.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 31 new, 17 fixed, 9 triaged.

  • Low-Medium triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
27 review
6 super-review
4 ui-review
5 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.

  • TODO: We will need to update our Sync UI code due to the new Sync API. Also we need to check if we are allowed to create FX accounts from our UI Since the new Sync accounts are FX accounts.[IanN] I’m sure I saw a question about FX accounts and branding.

Modern Theme rework (Patrick Dempsey)

Modern theme rework by Patrick Dempsey in progress.

Attachment Reminders

Suyash Agarwal is working on attachment reminders to SeaMonkey MailNews. bug 984016 Attachment Reminder: Help prevent forgetting inclusion of attachments (Port TB bug 244455)

MathML in Composer

Frédéric Wang (:fredw) has been working on improving MathML support in the Website Composer.

  • bug 986839 – Add a LaTeX-to-MathML dialog box in Composer.

  • bug 992127 – Add a LaTeX-to-MathML dialog box to the mail composer.

https://bug78128.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=121721

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

ewong

  • To be Checked-in:

    • bug 992561 – Typo in viewCertificate.label in suite/locales/en-US/chrome/browser/navigator.dtd
  • Review:

    • bug 840427 – Migrate SeaMonkey builders to using mock

    • bug 853720 – After bug 827446, SeaMonkey doesn’t know mozcrash.
    • bug 908090 – ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5
    • bug 922076 – Switch tests to using moz.build and manifests
    • bug 934492 – Adjust the languages preference pane to take into account Bug 910192 which removes intl.charset.default and deduces the fallback from the locale
    • bug 949884 – disable pulseaudio in SeaMonkey
    • bug 956007 – Remove front end for removed x-user-def font preferences
  • Working On:

    • bug 110904 – attach signature fails silently on bad paths

    • bug 507676 – Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 837649 – [Tracking Bug] Stop OSX 10.5 support for SeaMonkey project
    • bug 837650 – Stop support for OSX 10.5 in suite/ tree
    • bug 863747 – Add option to disable Location bar history
    • bug 918474 – Default Search dropdown doesn’t get refreshed after adding new search engine
    • bug 928632 – When the birth year is empty, SeaMonkey puts 1900 and in English language
  • To Do:

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
  • Pending check in:
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
  • Working on:
    • bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)

    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

jez

Fixed on trunk (and aurora after the merge):

  • bug 999365 Stretch new tabs toolbarbutton instead of centering it.

Discuss:

  • bug 997741 Should the ‘Copy Image’ popup menu item be less ambiguous?

Neil

Needs checkin and aurora uplift:

All subsequent tree references are pre-uplift.
Fixed on comm-central:

  • bug 991626 Crash involving IMAP.

  • bug 525124 Double-clicking in a blank space opens advanced properties.
  • bug 984948 Folder list in message filter dialog is empty.

Fixed on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta:

  • bug 995802 Don’t throw from registerContentHandler.

  • bug 991945 Modern theme media controls are broken.

Fixed on comm-aurora:

  • bug 943732 Port the new Character Encoding menu to SeaMonkey.

Working on:

  • bug 514280 NS_GET_IID can be used on classes which don’t actually declare their own IID.

Stalled due to broken test:

Ratty

Fixed since the last meeting:

Waiting for check-in on CLOSED TREE:

  • bug 797240 Update suite/common/app-license.html to reference MPL2 and fix inclusion into about:license

  • bug 993971 Preview lightweight themes (backgrounds) when View Apply Theme menu is active.

Working on:

  • bug 1001071 XBLify folder-selection menus in the FilterListDialog and SearchDialog.xul.

  • Some minor updates to confvars.sh .

ToDo:

  • Update our front-end SyncUI code.

  • Implement Fx Accounts (Branding? SM Accounts?).

Other stuff:

  • Did some reviews.

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

rsx11m

Fixed on trunk (now also on aurora after the recent merge):

  • bug 994849 Move inline scripts and styles for security-related about: XHTML pages into separate files.

  • bug 993845 Move event handling for SeaMonkey’s aboutSessionRestore.xhtml page into aboutSessionRestore.js.
  • bug 993847 Move event handling for SeaMonkey’s aboutSyncTabs.xul page into aboutSyncTabs.js.
  • bug 995706 I am not able to read, compose or send e-mail from my Yahoo Mail accounts (no easy toggle for external protocol handlers).
  • bug 1001659 Update Modern for bug 948901 changes on directory listings.

Fixed on all channels:

  • bug 999269 Forwarding a message without CC header inline gets an empty “CC:” line in header table. (MailNews Core)

Waiting for reviews:

  • bug 994093 Provide toggle for Geolocation service (geo.enabled) in Privacy & Security preference pane,

  • bug 998787 Remove redundant “Don’t Share” option from Geolocation doorhanger notification.
  • bug 173465 Add UI for mail/news “network.protocol-handler.external…” preferences.

Working on:

  • bug 844098 Update about:rights content for Safe Browsing based on Toolkit bug 514817 and separate inline scripts,

    • will be extended with Geolocation once bug 994093 is done.

Filed:

  • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager,

  • bug 999780 Context menu in tabs list of about:sync-tabs offers to open or bookmark tabs even if no longer any are listed,
  • bug 1000303 An empty about:sync-tabs page looks broken when there are no tabs available,

Other:

  • Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.

  • End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.

Any other business?

Discuss:

  • [jez] What kind of extra contributors are we actually looking for? Ones to fix bugs that are listed above, or ones to do interface overhauls that would be seen by many SM users as undesirable, superflouous distractions?
  • [Ratty] KaiRo reminded us that we need to grow our contributor community. I’m not sure where we could discuss this. I have no idea on how to do this. Perhaps we can get some Engagement experts from Mozilla to give us some suggestions?

    • [IanN] might have a chat with some people and see if they can point me in the right direction.

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2014-04-29

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

  • Firefox 29 has shipped

  • Firefox 24.5.0 ESR also
  • Firefox 30.0beta1 is with QA – release date is Thurs May 1
  • Firefox 31.0a2 Aurora updates will be unthrottled on Friday May 2 after QA signs off
Next Merge: June 9, 2014 Next Release: June 10, 2014
Trains
Central: 32 Aurora: 31 Beta: 30 Release: 29

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 10.29 (Previous Week: 11.23).

  • Thanks to Randell Jesup and JW Wang for fixing a number of media test crashes/failures.
  • Thanks to Nathan Froyd for investigating and fixing common patterns contributing to test instability.
  • Joel Maher pushing ahead with mochitest-bc run-by-dir work (bug 992911). Please take a look at dependencies of that bug for work that needs to be done so this work can land.
  • 22 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

CritSmash (dbolter)

  • uptick in sec bugs delta this week. Your attention appreciated.

MemShrink (njn)

  • Bobby Holley implemented the discarding of chrome script source code on B2G. This saves 1.26 MiB on Tarako (a big deal!) and a bit more on other B2G devices.

  • We’ve had two out-of-band MemShrink meetings recently to deal with a surge of Tarako-related bugs, many of which are of the form “Do something in app A, then something in app B, and app A and/or B crashes due to OOM”. Some of these can be fixed by fixing one thing, but the device has so little memory that for many of them won’t be fixed without root-and-branch memory optimization efforts.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers look good, with the exception of Android Nightly, but the bugs there are well-tracked and being worked on.

  • In fact, the most-recent data for beta on both desktop and Android show that we should have fixed all crash-volume-regressions just in time and should have a pretty decent release out the door today!

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • New DOM bindings for Window close to landing!

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

  • e10s stability is pretty good. Most people on the e10s team dogfood e10s all the time.

  • bug 982938 – Always save session on exit
  • bug 992415 – Fixed FilePicker crash
  • bug 997446 – Add “Open e10s Window” to hamburger menu (to make testing easier for our Windows friends)
  • Getting help from some contributors working on Good First Bugs.
  • Website to track add-on compatibility coming soon!

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • WIP

    • bug 776027 – Add Web Activities support to Android r+’d

    • bug 946022 – Implement requestAutocomplete for Firefox for Android r+d
    • Continued work on Home Feed and World Cup add-ons to be featured for Fx30
  • Landed
    • Fx31, bug 994989 – Move Save as pdf to the Page menu

    • Thanks for getting this fixed for Fx30 bug 996062 – [meta] Low-res and slow painting issues when scrolling subframes in Fennec
    • Uplifted to Fx31: bug 949178 – Remove reading list button from reader mode toolbar
    • We’re just starting to do some UI Telemetry analysis with a focus on Home Panels – interesting stuff!

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

    • Partner support at SPRD Shanghai

    • Fixed several Flame bugs
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • Cleaned up all 1.4 certification blockers.
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • No special update. Team members worked on the same issues as last week.
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)

    • Reviewed partner’s patch which implemented a new mechanism for Tarako LMK / OOM killer.

    • Refined about:service to have a more formatted output JSON file.

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • bug 911046 – WebRTC OmxCodec coding path support

  • bug 998168 – nsITimer shouldn’t be used in multiple threads in MediaDecoderStateMachine
  • bug 987529 – Implement an observer manager for vsync in gecko/hal
  • bug 987718 – [Text Selection] Display selection caret based on touch caret
  • bug 814524 – Make WebGLContext::TexImage2D avoid readback for video elements
  • bug 975346 – [LayerScope] LayerScope is not work while HWC is chosen

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

<Read Only>

Sprints

Updates

  • Responsiveness Performance

    • User Interface Synchronicity writeup now up on MDN compliments of Eli Perelman; covers Synchronous & Asynchronous UI strategies.

    • Eli will start creating bugs and issuing responsiveness improvement patches for core FxOS applications using these techniques.
  • Power Consumption

    • Building Flame device battery harnesses for QA/Automation

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • 1.3+/1.3T+/1.4+,

    • bug 993255 – [B2G] [RIL] follow-up of bug 990467 – should hangUp pendingMO properly

    • bug 999334 – [Tarako][Dialer]Dial to invalid number will trigger two call out
    • bug 1000705 – [tarako] last call fail cause is not correctly updated if the call is hung up by user
    • bug 998244 – [ZTE][OPEN C_1.3]MMS cannot be sent in the network of Join operator.
    • bug 987760 – [v1.4] Investigate test_settings_wifi.py failure.
    • bug 997791 – Regression on wifi enable/disable
    • bug 1000670 – [B2G] [RIL] expose “clirmodechange” event to gaia.
    • bug 997584 – [B2G] [RIL] mobileConnection::setCallingLineIdRestriction() doesn’t work well on DSDS. SIM_1 is affected if set on SIM_2
    • bug 981519 – [CDMA] Number and name presentation.
    • bug 1001897 – crash in wifi_connect_on_socket_path
    • bug 999388 – [Wifi][tarako] CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING is not sent from gonk after close wpa_supplicant connection
  • Features,

    • bug 898445 – B2G RIL: Move mozMobileConnection/MozMobileConnectionInfo/MozMobileNetworkInfo/MozMobileCellInfo to WebIDL.

    • bug 939046 – B2G RIL: Data call and RILNetworkInterface enhancement
    • bug 998899 – [META][RTSP] Build automated tests for RTSP feature
    • bug 996765 – [RTSP] Support TCP-interleaved RTP transport
    • bug 1001261 – B2G WiFi emulation on emulator-jb,kk
    • bug 745468 – Support EAP-PEAP and EAP-TTLS
    • bug 933588 – B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++. pending
    • bug 1001315 – [NFC] Testcase for reading url from type 2 tag.
    • bug 997576 – [NFC] Testcase for reading empty NFC tag.

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Compiler (JIT)

    • bug 996536: Fixed crash in TI code

    • bug 987379: Change profiler shell function API to be more consistent
  • Garbage Collection

    • bug 942121: Tracked down an intermittent b2g orange -> bz has a 2 line fix.

    • bug 970402: Enabled rooting analysis on aurora, beta, release
  • Front End and Other

PJS: parallel generational GC basically operational
Landed asm.js stack-walking

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • Notable Bug Fixes:

    • bug 998206 – Add –shuffle option to runreftests.py and ‘mach reftest’

    • bug 1000167 – Choose the right animated geometry root for inactive layer contents
    • bug 923376 – Spellcheck all appended nodes, not just the first.
    • bug 950386 – Move mozilla::Selection to mozilla::dom::Selection.
    • bug 997506 – Call CreateNeededFrames for all ProcessPendingRestyles calls.
    • bug 991837 – Only enable APZC during reftest-ipc (e10s)
    • bug 989994 – Follow up the parent chain when making continuations non-fluid at the end of a directional text run.
    • bug 1000350 – Don’t overwrite a layout set display port base with an APZC-guessed one
    • bug 997820 – Really disable telemetry during reftests

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Landed an important regression fix for the AEC before uplift (bug 1001272)

  • Fixed major bug for TURN on windows (bug 1000858)
  • Fixed B2G webrtc VP8 call regression due to bug 911046
  • getUserMedia() supports width and height constraints
  • Oranges:
    • Media team focusing on oranges over the next month

    • Timer thread usage fix killed top orange bug 981153 (test-seek)
    • Top-orange B2G emulator opt timeout bug 963244 (test_datachannel_basicAudio) was disabled — need to investigate what this problem is (as part of the “reduce media oranges” work)
    • Removed canplaythrough state check in media streaming tests (killed off a few oranges)

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • Planning to land new HTTP cache this week or early next week.

    • all oranges currently fixed, but Talos and jsreftest need some pref improvements.

    • If it sticks we will want to soon turn off cache v1 IDLs for Addons/JS (still used internally for appcache).
  • We landed the Resource Timing API (pref’d off). We need to figure out which followups we need in order to pref it on (maybe none?): see meta-bug bug 1002855
  • http/2: our implementation is up to draft12
    • Daniel Stenberg also contributed a HTTP/2 packet decoder for Wireshark (in nightly Wireshark builds)
  • RTSP Video is now turned on for Firefox OS V2
  • We have patches for having https:/ connections to HTTP proxy (with TLS tunneled over TLS)
    • This will be great for mobile proxy privacy

    • Our user privacy story for mobile proxy optimizers is still an open question (3rd party sees all URIs user visits).

Performance (vladan)

No updates this week

Shumway (tschneidereit)

<Read Only>

  • ongoing work on new bindings for builtins
* mostly finished complicated and error-prone work on DisplayObject (mbx owes beers to people finding bugs in that code)
  • got WebGL-based rendering backend to working again

  • progress on efficient implementation of filters and blendmodes
  • picked up implementation work for ShumwayWorker again

WebAPI (overholt)

No update this week.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

10:54 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from stability today
10:54 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok, thanks
11:00 cpeterson: lmandel: do you know the admin PIN for the Engineering meeting's Vidyo room?
11:02 lsblakk: cpeterson: i am on my way to meeting, starting up vidyo
11:05 jduell: jst: ooh, fancier conference tables in new MV office...
11:05 Waldo: didn't know Canadians had excess enthusiasm like that
11:05 jst: jduell: yeah, pretty fancy around here :)
11:08 Waldo: mm, voiping a little
11:08 Waldo: likes the Wings logo in the background
11:08 Waldo: the season, so it goes
11:08 davidb: cpeterson: small update (need to refresh) for critsmash is "uptick in sec bugs delta this week."
11:09 cpeterson: davidb: ok
11:09 Waldo: Window as WebIDL, such awesome
11:09 Waldo: woo early-cycle landings
11:10 RyanVM|sheriffduty: Waldo: :)
11:10 RyanVM|sheriffduty: Waldo: FFS, vidyo undid the config changes I made for the voiping
11:10 Waldo: heh
11:11 Waldo: scumbag vidyo
11:11 RyanVM|sheriffduty: :)
11:11 Waldo: haiku os?
11:11 Waldo: trolls
11:15 Waldo: yeeeeeeehaw
11:15 Waldo: woo new cache
11:15 Waldo: "the cached data is in another castle"
11:16 Waldo: mm, wireshark
11:17 RyanVM|sheriffduty: mreavy: RE: bug 963244 - I disabled that test a couple days ago
11:20 mreavy: RyanVM|sheriffduty: thanks, I missed that. I'll update the notes.
11:21 RyanVM|sheriffduty: I already did :)
11:23 johnath: 32
11:23 johnath: is a number, provided out of context, through the miracle of keyboard focus loss
11:25 rstrong: destruct sequence initiated
11:25 RyanVM|sheriffduty: and a very good number at that!

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-04-2911:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

28-April-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-04-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

  • Big thanks to add-on reviewer Teo, who rolled up his sleeves and reviewed 64 add-ons last week! The add-on review queue currently has a wait time of 3 weeks, so if you have an add-on in the queue and would like to help it move along, please apply to be an add-on reviewer! https://wiki.mozilla.org/Marketplace/Reviewers/Addons
  • Big thanks to Rahid Hasan and Shafiul Azam for their superb help on developer landscape research for the Bangladesh market.
  • Kudos to the whole French MDN community who finished the translation of our 139 pages about HTML last week-end! It is the first locale to achieve this. Special thanks to Jerémie who animated the MDN workshop and to Clarista who organized the Locasprint. Nothing would have been possible without them.
  • Lots of upvotes to John Giannelos, Tasos Katsoulas, and Pierros Papadeas for continuing to improve Mozilla Moderator. It’s gotten a lot of use recently with Town Hall meetings, and they have been hacking on it in their free time. The tool is a super way to organize topics for discussions that happen at scale. Thanks!
  • A GIGANTIC thank you to all the members of the localization community who have worked so hard this month localizing the Australis onboarding tours for new and existing users plus the new Firefox desktop product pages on mozilla.org for the Australis launch tomorrow. We really appreciate all your help creating a great user experience for Australis!!!!
  • A big THANK YOU to Michael Hung and the team at Mozilla Taipei for hosting a group of young Mandarin-speaking exchange students from the US, and for sharing Mozilla’s mission, products, and passion with them. Check out the short video they created here: https://myfirefox.com.tw/videos/22159. If you will be in Northern California on Friday May 9th, and would be interested in sharing your knowledge about Mozilla with a team of ten year olds from Taipei, please email Pete Scanlon [pscanlon@mozilla.com] with the subject line “Taipei student visit”
  • A huge thank you to the entire working group (60+), with a special shout out to the core group of about 12, who helped create our new, Global Wellness Initiative which will be announced today.
  • Props and more props to the 21 volunteer and staff Mozillians whose hard work, passion, collaboration, and flexbility made last week’s MozCamp design session such a success!

Upcoming Events

Monday, 28 April

Tuesday, 29 April

  • Firefox (29) launches at 6:00am PT! (in case you hadn’t heard).
  • Infosecurity Europe, London, UK

    • Europe’s largest free-to-attend security event

    • Simon Bennetts (Mozilla Security Team), panelist
    • More info here

Thursday, 01 May

  • 10:00 AM Pacific / 17:00 UTC: Grow Mozilla discussion — a forum for discussing community building at Mozilla

  • 12:00 PM noon Pacific / 19:00 UTC: Firefox Accounts and Sync in FF29 – a brownbag presentation describing Firefox Accounts and changes to the Sync setup process in Firefox 29. Live in San Francisco and on Air Mozilla.

Saturday, 03 May

  • Open Source Conference Albania (OSCAL), Tirana, Albania

    • OSCAL is organized by Open Labs, a non-government non-profit organization, based in Albania, that aims to support and promote initiatives which provide tools that bring knowledge closer to those more in need.

    • Brian King (speaker), Redon Skikuli (speaker), Elio Qoshi (workshop host)
    • More info here
  • Mozilla Family Open House – Mountain View office from 3:00pm PT – 9:00pm PT. Please note that this event is for local Bay Area-based Mozillians and the important people in their lives. It is not a public event. RSVP deadline is today at 12:00pm PT.

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: eeeeee (eeeeeee)

  • Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

  • Video!
  • (Eeeeeeee.)

Mozilla Reps

Speaker: Rosana Ardila, Location: San Francisco

New council members elected:

  • Emma Irwin

  • Gauthamraj Elango
  • Arturo Martinez

Firefox Marketplace

Speaker Location:
Update only

  • Marketplace has passed a milestone – well over 1 million apps installed each month

  • Over 700,000 unique visitors a month
  • A special lighter-weight version of the Marketplace is being tested this week for pre-load on the Tarako device

IT

Speaker Location: mjeffries, San Francisco

Conference Room Survey QR’s Have Landed in SFO, MTV, LON! (Got feedback? give it to us!)

The conference room QR codes have been deployed to SFO, MTV, and LON. We should be finished by the end of this week. EUS wants to make sure your conference room experience is the best it can be, and giving us feedback is key.

MOC Update:

Last week, the MOC on average resolved 87 events per day, with an average time to resolve of less than 2 hours. Got MOC issues? let us help you. If you need to reach the current oncall MOC member, you can see who that is in #IT on IRC.

NetOps Update:

NetOps is presently testing wireless improvements on the 7th floor of SFO which address wireless roaming issues for OS X machines. Results have been positive so far, and we’ll keep you posted on our final observations.

Web Compat

Speaker Location: Oslo, Norway

Links: http://arewecompatibleyet.com http://webcompat.com

Presentation:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fSgaESsP9sHAmipry9C8G67vCVRlJ2mRDKI50UgMQNc/edit?usp=sharing

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Rachel Berenbaum and Michelle Marovich Recruiting Programs Recap 2013 and preview changes coming in 2014 Mountain View YES– Rachel will https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/globalstaffing/Recruiting+Home We aren’t currently set up to host this info on the public wiki, as we expand the program that will change.
Jean Collings Community Engagement How you can help spread the word about Firefox on Tuesday and beyond. San Francisco No Tomorrow on launch day, visit https://webwewant.mozilla.org/#video – watch, share and interact!
Ibai Garcia SUMO How you can help users upgrading to Firefox 29. San Francisco No https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/answering-questions-support-forum https://etherpad.mozilla.org/SUMO-australis-launch
Bill Walker PDF.js PDF.js goes 1.0 and turns three! Mountain View No http://people.mozilla.org/~bwalker/pdfjs-infographic.pdf https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js
Alex Fowler Public Policy The Importance of Net Neutrality to the Open Internet San Francisco No https://wiki.mozilla.org/Netpolicy
Amy Tsay Community Manager Tip for building a culture of recognition MV No https://wiki.mozilla.org/Contribute/Recognition
Mitchell Baker Executive Chair NetMundial, Brazil keynote San Francisco No http://www.hastac.org/blogs/herrcafe/2014/04/25/lima-s%C3%A3o-paulo-icann-hastac-and-marco-civil-da-internet

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Interns

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Sean Lin Marco Chen Taipei office Taipei office Firefox OS
Lawrence Watson Jack Moffitt San Francisco Australia Research Engineer, Servo
Aimee Forsstrom Matt Grimes Portland Portland User Advocacy
New Intern Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Johan Lorenzo Jason Smith Mountain View, CA Mountain View, CA Firefox OS QA
Ahmed Kachkach Clint Talbert San Francisco, CA Mountain View, CA Automation
Raluca Elena Podiuc Jonas Finnemann Jensen San Francisco, CA San Francisco, CA Performance
Brendan Zabarauskas Patrick Walton San Francisco, CA San Francisco, CA Research

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

23-April-2014

Mobile: 2014-04-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Merge: 2014-04-28 (Days away!)

Topics for This Week

Merge Week
Fx31 merges to Aurora on Monday. Now is the time to finish the small patches and decide on backing out the big patches that aren’t working well enough. Only you can prevent poor quality!

UI Telemetry
Some patches have landed, others are very close. What’s the current status of data being collected? What’s the plan for handing off post-analysis knowledge?

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Clemens Wilding fixed bug 920855 – Replace java.net.URL with java.net.URI wherever possible (first patch!)

  • Alex Deaconu fixed bug 959185 – Audit API access levels in the toolbar package (first patch!)
  • Christian Ascheberg fixed bug 971743 – Do not clear the download history with the browsing history
  • Anuj Sahai fixed bug 995347 – Allow domain auto completion when entering “h” in url bar
  • Alexandru Chiriac made a new contributor hat trick
    • bug 897515 – Remove unneeded pixel format set on the LayerView surface holder (first patch!)

    • bug 964100 – Reading list is sorted unexpectedly
    • bug 931244 – Improved BrowserApp.onCreate() readability
  • Eduard Neculaesi fixed bug 920930 – “Switch to tab” loads the page in the current tab from Reading List
  • Vivek fixed bug 997996 – Make ToolbarComponent.dismissEditingMode use the cancel editing mode button
  • Dave Townsend fixed bug 993533 – Add remote add-ons to the list of targets on a remote device (https://twitter.com/FennecNightly/status/458285656368619520)

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

<Read Only>

  • Have Service Workers (partially) working with headless Gecko

  • Planning an experiment to use headless gecko as a shim to provide fast startup
  • Working on bug 952721 – crash in gfxContext::gfxContext(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*)

Alan K. (ack)

  • CloudSync API up for review (minus some UI changes that are still pending)

JChen

Fixed

Working on

GCP

Past two weeks

  • Flame H264 support

Fixed

Working on

  • WebRTC 3.50 uplift

  • Some SafeBrowsing leftovers

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: Continued work to separate WebRTC from code base. Met with Roku engineer.

  • This Week: Continue to try and cleave the WebRTC code from the code base.

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

  • WIP: bug 997447 – Modify EditText to shrink hint when text is not empty

  • WIP: requestAutocomplete (bug 939351 and bug 946022)
  • bug 995741 – If Fennec crashes and loses tabs, there’s no way to restore said tabs

WesJ

<Read Only>

  • bug 998063 – Feed parser should support media:thumbnail

  • Second screen stuff. Getting Chromecast up and running. Close to a prototype implementation.
  • bug 990642 – Regression: ‘Share Image’ shares link and not actual image. Some basic patches up. Looked into reusing cached images here (r.e. bug 901824 – Use image cache for ‘Set Image As’). Back burnered based on that investigation.
  • bug 985867 – Regression: Tapping in the add-ons page opens the same page in a new tab, unable to search for add-ons. Fix backed out for regressions on some devices.
  • Playing with reflecting (selected) dom properties/nodes into Native UI for potentially doing a native add-on settings screen.
  • Lots of reviews (lots more to do)

jdover

Past

Present

- Search activity / widget work

LucasR

<Read Only>

Past

  • bug 994195 – Add tests for RawResource class

  • bug 999398 – Rename RawResource.get() to RawResource.getAsString()
  • bug 994734 – Centralize change notification for dataset cursors
  • bug 997660 – Update TopSites grid to use row types from TopSitesCursorWrapper
  • bug 997772 – Bootstrap suggested sites framework
  • bug 997777 – Optimize moveToPosition() performance in TopSitesCursorWrapper
  • bug 997782 – Use suggested sites in the top sites panels
  • bug 997782 – Use suggested sites in the top sites panels
  • Async layout/rendering experiments on Android
  • Patch reviews

Present

  • More suggested sites

  • Some hub, if necessary

sola

This week

  • bug 994273 – Home panel sessions not being properly closed

  • bug 988909 – Context menus for dynamic panels
  • First run/contextual hints

liuche

<Read Only>

Margaret

Highlights

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • investigate bug 968951 – Intermittent testBrowserProvider | application timed out after 330 seconds with no output

  • investigate bug 995820 – Intermittent testJavascriptBridge | GeckoEventExpecter – blockForEvent timeout: Robocop:JS
  • bug 970973 – Empty space in toolbar where lock icon would go
  • bug 994989 – Move Save as pdf to the Page menu
  • investigate bug 979621 – Android 2.3 testNewTab |junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: EditText is not found!
  • bug 965548 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap on phones

Present

  • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

  • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 997487 – Add UI telemetry to editing mode cancel button
  • bug 998000 – Add UI telemetry for editing mode go button
  • bug 996313 – JavascriptMessageParser does not immediately end the test when a js assertion fails
  • bug 997477 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap on tablet
  • bug 998426 – Use same constructor across API levels in shrunken BrowserToolbar’s LayoutParams
  • bug 999750 – Recycle MotionEvents
  • bug 1000149 – Simplify edit mode
  • bug 958889 – Make Fennec “Synced Tabs” tray display entry point to Firefox Account + Sync when user has no existing accounts

Future

  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off

  • bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests

esawin

Summary

  • Holidays…

  • Landed zoom session history
  • Working on tests for zoom and zoom session history
  • Preparing refactoring patch to move resolution out of PresShell

Fixed

Working on

RNewman

  • New bug components!

  • Sync user transition planning and bug stuff.
  • Locale switching UI stuff. Well underway. One bug I’m trying to nail down…

Past

Present

BLassey

  • e10s planning

  • e10s printing
  • looking at FirefoxOS second screen dongle

MFinkle

  • Project incubation

    • Retention

    • Contextual Hints
    • Search Activity/Widget
  • Second Screen: Status

Ian Barlow

  • Search Activity

    • Early design explorations
  • Hub
    • refinements to RSS and World Cup panels

    • wading into other stuff
      • promoted panel UI

      • service-specific panels
      • thinking about a panel add-on hack day :)
  • Contextual tips
    • Working with Sola on some tips prototypes
  • First run
    • Brainstorm session with Yuan and Anthony tomorrow
  • Tablet refresh
    • Refining tabbed browsing spec
  • General UI polish
    • bug 1000149 visual refinements to “close edit mode”

    • bug 997447 *awesome* little form enhancement by bnicholson
    • bug 965377 wading into some Settings copy refinements

A-Team

<Read Only>

  • “make mochitest-robocop” and “make mochitest-remote” are broken, but a fix is landing today

  • eideticker has been down for a few weeks now…still trying to fix it in bug 988606

Feature Focus

<Read Only>
You guys are rocking on Fx29 and Fx30. Jenn is setting us up for success for Fx31, and Fx32: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Roadmap


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-04-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Mobile

Beta (29)

We are good to go.

  • FxA/Sync Recent Findings which have been escalated to SUMO in time for GA:

    • bug 999172 – Create account and sync results in reauthentication flow

    • bug 999198 – delete firefox account gets user stuck in reauth loop
  • New WebRT, Synthetic APKs: First item below is a fix we’d like to take before GA and unfortunately, it’s too late for the last beta; stay tuned for a plan on this. There’s work to be done to stabilize for Fx30, Fx31:
    • bug 991397 – launching app installed outside Firefox Beta hangs firstrun

    • Not Fx29, just a FYI: bug 991394 – previously-installed apps stop running
    • For Fx31 bug 995803 – crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Already registered Webapps:Preinstall at org.mozilla.gecko.EventDispatcher.registerListener(EventDispatcher.java)

Aurora (30)

Nightly (31)

  • We’re rejiggering scope for Fx31, we know it will not require a permissions bump

  • We have a new EPM! Jenn Chaulk, she owns solidifying the feature list and should be communicating the details next week

Developer Tools

  • Outbound

    • All quiet, gearing up for the upcoming Aurora 31 post and Angelina’s spring tour.

Feedback Summary

Desktop

A Small redesign of Firefox is coming next week, we are gearing up for an intensive feedback gathering process. Let us know if you have any last minute requests!

Our reports in this meeting will soon be getting nicer! Stay tuned :)

User Experience

Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team

Desktop/Platform

  • A cloud-based Windows is in the works [1] with potentially different revenue models for Microsoft [2] along with universal Windows apps. [3] Microsoft has also been accepting input about the return of an authentic Start button. [4]
  • Browser add-ons made news in the context of Heartbleed with an extension for Chrome [5] and for Firefox [6] automating the check for sites with Heartbleed vulnerability. Safari and Internet Explorer lacked these add-ons.
  • Recent Chrome updates [7] include an onscreen keyboard, side-docking and sticky keys, suggesting potential use in touchscreen Chromebooks or Chrome tablets.

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Come to the Countdown to Fx29 overview tomorrow! Invite should be in your inbox or already on your cal.


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

22-April-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-04-22

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor

Stability

Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

  • FF29.0 RC is built & with QA – will ship to Beta audience later today or tomorrow for data collection

  • FF Android 29.0b10 with QA – also aiming to ship Wednesday
  • Merge day next Monday!
Next Merge: April 28, 2014 Next Release: April 29, 2014
Trains
Central: 31 Aurora: 30 Beta: 29 Release: 28
33 bugs (?? bugs last week) 12 bugs (?? bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 30 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 29 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

  • git.m.o outages bug 985864

    • IT/RelEng working on it

    • Immediate cause seems to be git-upload-pack eating up all physical RAM and causing the box to start swapping.

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

A*Team (jgriffn)

<Read Only>

  • Android

    • Android 2.3 reftests run too slowly on VM’s, so we’re moving them to IX hardware slaves also – bug 992969

    • More Android 4.0 debug mochitests unhidden on TBPL
    • Eideticker for Android still down due to networking problems in MV; see bug 988606 for progress. Eideticker for B2G is hosted in London and is not affected.
  • B2G

    • Because media mochitests often end up being CPU-starved on B2G emulators running on AWS VMs, we plan to break them out into a separate chunk and run that chunk on IX hardware slaves – bug 994920

    • Resolved a problem that was causing ssltunnel-dependent tests to fail on B2G emulators – bug 987406
    • New test suites in the process of being added to TBPL:
    • On May 13 – 16 in MV, there’s a build-out of a new group of flame devices that will be used in power and performance testing for B2G; stop by the QA Lab if you want to see how all the pieces fit together.
    • New bugzilla dashboards for B2G: http://people.mozilla.org/~klahnakoski/b2g/B2G-Blockers.html#

Accessibility (dbolter)

<Read Only>

  • Around 1:30 PT on airmoz Jonathan Wei will present about his internship with us, focusing on his math accessibility work.

Developer Tools (robcee)

  • Many Mochitest-DT tests fixed and uplifted to Aurora. Mostly green.

  • front end for web audio inspector bug 980503
  • eyedropper tool on color pickers bug 939040
  • several console output enhancements

Firefox Desktop (felipe)

  • Australis will be on release next week!

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

<Read Only>

  • Fx29 readiness, known issues for FxA/Sync:

    • bug 999172 – Create account and sync results in reauthentication flow

    • bug 999198 – delete firefox account gets user stuck in reauth loop
  • Fx29 Dev Release readiness, known issue for WebRT, Synth APKs
    • bug 991397 – launching app installed outside Firefox Beta hangs firstrun

    • Not Fx29, just a FYI: bug 991394 – previously-installed apps stop running
    • For Fx31 bug 995803 – crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Already registered Webapps:Preinstall at org.mozilla.gecko.EventDispatcher.registerListener(EventDispatcher.java)
  • Tracking the gfx issues for Fx30: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=996062&hide_resolved=1

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

    • Partner support at SPRD Shanghai

    • Kept solving and negotiating Tarako issues.
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • All BlueZ/Bluedroid PTS certification issues were marked as 1.4+. Should be able to solve them on time. (http://goo.gl/X9z3yV)
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • Added a parameter ‘AudioChannel’ to AudioContext API to solve several AudioChannel issues. (bug 984498, bug 997701, bug 993293, bug 981885)

    • WIP patch to enable HW decoder for high resolution WebM video clips. (bug 986381)
    • Found the root cause about why .amr files can’t be set as ringtone on Tarako. (bug 990957)
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)

    • Partner support (SPRD: Tarako and Dolphin).

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

Sprints

Updates

  • On-device Tarako Performance Automation Enabled

    • b2gperf and ‘make test-perf’ are both reporting to Datazilla

      • These tools report per-app memory use and launch time metrics.
    • Eideticker
      • This tool reports fps and launch time metrics based video capture analysis using a high-speed camera during tests.
  • Datazilla Automated Alerts

    • Datazilla test result ingestion failures now being alerted by email.

    • Datazilla Regression alerts are currently being tested.

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • 1.3+/1.3T/1.4,

    • bug 998244 – [ZTE][OPEN C_1.3]MMS cannot be sent in the network of Join operator.

    • bug 997791 – Regression on wifi enable/disable.
    • bug 987760 – [v1.4] Investigate test_settings_wifi.py failure.
    • bug 996421 – [B2G] [RIL] [Tarako] assign options to Buf.newParcel() in sendDialRequest() otherwise options.number is missing in the response handler.
    • bug 997584 – [B2G] [RIL] mobileConnection::setCallingLineIdRestriction() doesn’t work well on DSDS. SIM_1 is affected if set on SIM_2.
  • Others,

    • bug 784429 – [WebAPI] WebTelephony: Hang-up while connecting, call is not terminated.

    • bug 977085 – B2G RIL: remove nsIGonkTelephonyProvider::notifyCallError.
    • bug 996444 – [B2G] [RIL] remove gTelephonyList.
    • bug 997003 – Refactor: setupConference in telephony test code.
    • bug 992772 – [B2G][RIL][NetworkManager] ResolveHostName with the DNS of the specified NetworkInterface.
    • bug 824717 – WebSMS: When sending a SMS fails, it would be handy to have the message in the error event object.
    • bug 995486 – CDMA MO MMS is not working on reference ril.
    • bug 790056 – Enable WPA-EAP.
    • bug 984397 – [NFC] Fix rf_discover in NFC emulator.
    • bug 993330 – [NFC] support notify tag discover by emulator console command.
    • bug 996452 – [NFC] Add emulator rf_discover test case.
    • bug 898445 – B2G RIL: Move mozMobileConnection/MozMobileConnectionInfo/MozMobileNetworkInfo/MozMobileCellInfo to WebIDL.
    • bug 998239 – Follow up of 877193 to refine RtspTrackBuffer size.
    • bug 992568 – Refactor RtspChannel to support HTTP->RTSP redirection and rendering inside the browser
    • bug 991025 – Enable WiFi test on emulator
    • bug 981519 – [CDMA] Number and name presentation

GFX (milan)

  • OMTC

    • On XP in decent shape; we will probably create a separate (temporary) pref so that we can just enable it on that platform.

    • On Windows 7, we have some performance regressions we’re still trying to figure out if they’re real or not; switching to OMTC default on that platform will likely be delayed by a week.
  • Skia

    • The main vector of work is going through reftest failures and fixing them. So far, great majority (all) have been actual Skia “bugs” (in some cases, Skia purposely plays loose with the results in order to gain performance, though not all of those cases actually result in improved performance.)
  • V-sync (butter, silk, whatever we’re calling it today)

    • Implementation details being discussed between Taipei and the rest of the graphics team.
  • APZ

    • low-res tiling in progress

    • discussing what homescreen changes proposed for 2.0 mean for APZ
  • E10S

    • Beyond OMTC, we haven’t yet scheduled anything to provide support for the E10S effort.

    • Still need to complete the prioritization conversation.
  • B2G debug tests issues

    • There are a few crashes/hangs/issues with B2G debug tests, shutdown mostly, tracked with 999215.

    • No good way to deal with those fast enough without effecting some of the committed feature work.
    • Stay tuned.

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

No updates from Cloud/Identity that pertain to platform this week. Keep on being awesome, and Be Excellent to Each Other.

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Compiler (JIT)Compiler

    • bug 976536: Fixed the #1 (multiple signatures) beta/aurora/central topcrash, just in time for the 29 release. Hard to repro and Windows-only, so this took some time.
  • Garbage Collection

    • bug 989484: Report number of minor GCs in between major GCs
  • Front End and Other
    • Mostly done porting irregexp source to spidermonkey.

    • Wrote patches for making stacking-walking include all asm.js frames
    • bug 918987: String.prototype.normalize
    • bug 996438 bug 996430 bug 996989: Removed some unneeded compartments at start-up

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • Notable Bugs:

    • bug 991046 – Combine the display item clips when we flatten an nsDisplayOpacity.

    • bug 913138 – Correct imagelib & gfx shutdown at the end of layout shutdown.
    • bug 769194 – update reftests for @font-face src:local, now working on Android and B2G.

Media (jesup)

  • Initial H.264 hardware (OMX) support landed for B2G, preffed off — bug 911046

    • patch for vp8 OMX support in the works
  • Looks like we found the primary source for many media oranges – misuse of active timers (use from more than one thread) — bug 998168 – fingers crossed! Thanks to jwwang!
  • Expecting to land update for webrtc.org to 3.50 as soon as we have android video/audio capture merged
  • Some fallouts from MediaStreamGraph and AudioStream refactors that landed; being worked

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • Http cache2 still targeted for early May.

    • All devtools oranges fixed. Only a few remaining test failures left.

    • Most Talos performance regressions are fixed
    • about:cache patch in review
    • a couple more performance issues to fix.

Performance (vladan)

  • bug 962262, bug 867728: You can now capture longer profiles with the Gecko Profiler on B2G (1 minute+)

  • bug 935482: It’s now possible to log all Firefox main-thread I/O to a file, using the MOZ_MAIN_THREAD_IO_LOG environment variable. We’ll be using this functionality to create a Talos test that detects new sources of main thread I/O (bug 998794)
  • bug 989419: Removed main-thread IO from blocklist update operation

WebAPI (overholt)

  • No update this week.

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

  • No update.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 11.23 (Previous Week: 11.82).

  • mochitest-bc chunking and devtools split successfully landed on Aurora. Some lingering issues remain.
    • Worst browser-chrome oranges that need dev attention:

      • bug 870205 – Intermittent browser_bug295977_autoscroll_overflow.js | e should have scrolled vertically, b should have scrolled vertically, | b should have scrolled horizontally

      • bug 949432 – Intermittent browser_upgrade_backup.js | upgrade backup contains the expected contents – Got browser_upgrade_backup.js, expected {“windows”:[{“tabs”:[{“entries”:[{"url":"about:blank","ID":2278454741,"docshellID":0,"docIdentifier":2795}],”lastAccessed”, blocked on review in bug 883609
      • bug 956157 – Intermittent browser_popupNotification.js | This test exceeded the timeout threshold. It should be rewritten or split up. If that’s not possible, use requestLongerTimeout(N), but only as a last resort. Other bugs affecting this test: bug 968915, bug 969608, bug 995819
    • See full list: https://ateam.etherpad.mozilla.org/worst-intermittent-oranges
  • Big thanks to pbrosset for rewriting many devtools tests and markedly improving their reliability!
  • 19 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Over numbers looks good, mobile trunk issues are being tracked.

  • Shoutout to Jan de Mooij and Till Schneidereit who fixed and reviewed the remaining major crash regression of 29 (bug 976536) late last week and into Saturday, so we could still get it into the release!
  • Mac Flash issue (bug 996637) is fixed, please update to 13.0.0.201 if you are on OS X.
  • Thanks to Edwin Flores for fixing bug 812881 resulted in crashes per 100/adu dropping from 2.2 to 1.75 and fixing over 6 crash signatures

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

Introduce Syd Polk – New QA lead for platform QA

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:

  • Tom Schuster (evilpie) fixed a Firefox find UX weirdness (bug 935519).

  • Amod (greatwarrior) simplified a Places API (bug 552025).
  • Tatiana Meshkova (tatiana) added external GL buffer rendering support (bug 994856).
  • Giovanni Sferro (agi90) fixed an HTML input assertion failure (bug 856265).
  • Masatoshi Kimura (emk) enabled some kinds of JAR URIs to be viewed as directory lists (bug 997519).
  • Brian Bondy (bbondy) corrected some libmar problems (bug 996564).
  • Marco Castelluccio (marco) cleaned up some app code (bug 984464, bug 993326, bug 996109).
  • Emanuel Hoogeveen (ehoogeveen) optimized some trig operations (bug 997459).
  • Chiaki Ishikawa fixed a leak detector assertion (bug 998706).
  • Robert Longson (longsonr) improved the SMIL code (bug 974698, bug 974710, bug 997725).
  • Anuj Agarwal (anujagarwal464) cleaned up nsCrypto a bit (bug 897359).
  • Nochum Sossonko (Natch) improved some storage APIs (bug 481178).
  • Martin Stransky fixed a ghost image problem on GTK3.
  • [first patch!] Andrew Church improved word skipping behaviour (bug 981281).
  • YF (Yang) fixed a certificate viewer problem (bug 995528).
  • Danny Chen corrected some video player UX problems (bug 495593, bug 996122).
  • Birunthan Mohanathas (poiru) removed unnecessary null checks (bug 997208).
  • Maksim Lebedev corrected a test failure (bug 996457).

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

10:58 vladan: are we having the engineering meeting?
10:59 cpeterson: vladan: yes
11:00 RyanVM|sheriffduty: cpeterson: no verbal in the hot bugs
11:00 cpeterson: RyanMV: is that a first?? :)
11:01 RyanVM|sheriffduty: cpeterson: heh, no
11:01 RyanVM|sheriffduty: I'm just going to yap at the bottom instead :P
11:02 KaiRo: cpeterson: I have a short stability voice update today
11:02 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok
11:04 blassey: turning away to cough doesn't help when the mic is attached to my head...
11:05 KaiRo: blassey: hrm, bad design ;-)
11:06 dveditz: is there no meeting?
11:06 RyanVM|sheriffduty: dveditz: it's going
11:07 dveditz: ProductCoordination on vidyo? I seem to be the only one
11:07 Waldo: it's on! :-)
11:07 dveditz: am I failing at the new vidyo client?
11:07 RyanVM|sheriffduty: dveditz: Engineering :)
11:07 Waldo: naveed: String.prototype.normalize perhaps worth mentioning as in trunk now
11:08 naveed: k ty
11:08 Waldo: although to be honest, I don't actually understand the use cases enough to say how useful, exactly
11:08 dveditz: did it change? the wiki says product coordination
11:08 dveditz: oh... I'm on the wrong meeting
11:08 dveditz: dammit
11:08 Waldo: heh
11:09 Waldo: someone typing on the call
11:09 dveditz: someone needs to stop typing
11:09 Waldo: maybe lsblakk?
11:10 blassey: dveditz: there has been a lot of fail this week related to vidyo
11:10 lsblakk: sorry
11:10 lsblakk: triaging while listening
11:10 Waldo: :-)
11:12 RyanVM|sheriffduty: milan: What ever happened with reftest-omtc? It's running on Cedar, but has there been any work towards greening it up?
11:12 davidb: milan_ do those test failures require gfx knowledge to debug?
11:13 milan_: davidb: don't know.  the crashes are in the graphics code :), parent bug 999215
11:13 davidb: :)
11:14 davidb: (yeah hard to know until you got the patch)
11:17 RyanVM|sheriffduty: Waldo: looking good
11:18 robcee: nice sweater, waldo
11:18 RyanVM|sheriffduty: looks over his shoulder
11:20 robcee: hi
11:21 lizzard: dang it, did i miss a funny sweater?
11:23 Waldo: RyanVM|sheriffduty, robcee: \m/
11:23 Waldo: lizzard: quality Red Wings hockey support on display
11:23 robcee: lizzard: nope, it's a serious sweater.
11:24 robcee: for serious business.
11:24 lizzard: Waldo: what you  need is a bedazzler, sirt
11:24 lizzard: sir
11:24 lizzard: Gem sweater Red Wings hockey bling
11:24 lizzard: ok, back to serious business
11:24 Waldo: srs bsnss
11:26 bhearsum: red wings?
11:26 bhearsum: see you in the second round, if you make it...
11:26 Waldo: bhearsum: remind me how many Canadian teams made it again?  ;-)
11:27 bhearsum: Waldo: just one, but they also happen to be the only team that's looking at a first round sweep
11:27 bhearsum: they also happen to have an olympic gold medal goalie...;)
11:29 RyanVM|sheriffduty: bhearsum: I thought you were a Canucks man
11:30 RyanVM|sheriffduty: (we won't discuss their fate :P)
11:30 bhearsum: i'm both

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-04-2211:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

21-April-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-04-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

  • Justin Potts (:justinpotts) for taking on the QA leadership role for the Webmaker project

  • Colin Frei, Alfredos (fredy) Damkalis, Andrew Truong (feer56), Andre Garzia, Gabriel Gómez, Viking KARWUR, Anuj Agarwal, Benlamara Abderahemane, Benny Chandra, Muhammad Mehmood Ali, Luigi Tedone, Steve Lee, Shahmir Khan, Sebastian Hengst, Jennie Rose Halperin, and Rami Khader have been managing the Tablet Contribution Program application review and awarding process with me (Asa Dotzler). They collectively developed the scoring/ranking criteria, reviewed over 1,200 applications, developed a communications plan including emails to awardees and those who didn’t make the cut, created much of the program documentation, and generally kicked ass preparing to empower 500 of our community to brave the tablet jungles ahead of the core Firefox OS teams.

Upcoming Events

Monday, 21 April

  • Intern presentations from 1:30-3pm in SF Commons, MV Commons and TOR Commons plus streamed & recorded on Air Mozilla – Come see Valentin Tsatskin, Olusola Ogunsakin and Joshua Dover present what they’ve been working on all Winter/Spring!

Tuesday, 22 April

  • HTML5MTL Meetup in Montreal, Canada

    • A group where technical people can come together to share, network and most importantly learn about the different aspects of HTML5.

    • Frédéric Harper speaking
  • Intern presentations from 1-2:30 PM PDT in TOR Commons, SF Commons and MV Commons plus streamed & recorded on Air Mozilla – Come see Viktor Stanchev, Jonathan Wei and Willie Cheong present what they’ve been working on all Winter/Spring!

Wednesday, 23 April

  • Homebrew Website Club Meeting, 18:30-19:30 simultaneously at Mozilla SF and ESRI PDX. Description:

    Are you building your own website? Indie reader? Personal publishing web app? Or some other digital magic-cloud proxy?

    If so (or you want to!), come on by and join a gathering of people with like-minded interests. Bring your friends that want to start a personal web site. Exchange information, swap ideas, talk shop, help work on a project…

    Any questions? See the wiki page or irc://irc.freenode.net/indiewebcamp.

Thursday, 24 April

  • Countdown to Firefox 29 – Eric Petitt, Director of Firefox Marketing, plus others from the Engagement team, will present a 29-minute preview of the go to market campaign for Firefox 29. Two options, both the same — one at 9:00am PT and one at 4:00pm PT. The event will be streamed and recorded via Air Mozilla. Open to vouched Mozillians.

Saturday, 26 April

Sunday, 27 April

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

  • No

  • But
    • Seriously
  • FF29 in a week
  • Say something meaningful here about the beautiful balance between technology and product
  • Movie time!

Webmaker

Speaker Location: nonverbal

Open Badges

Speaker Location: nonverbal

  • Open Call for Badges Pilot Project for Pittsburgh City of Learning Initiative

    • This summer, Pittsburgh will join other Cities of Learning in a groundbreaking initiative to pair learning opportunities for young people with digital badges in ways that allow learners to think about, pursue, and develop their interests.

    • Read more on the blog.

Mozilla Science Lab

Speaker Location: non-verbal

  • We taught over 280 people over the course of 3 days last week at 6 events, from a women in science and engineering bootcamp in California, to five events at PyCon. Massive thank you to our 21 instructors and participants. Also, have a look at Lukas Blaak’s post on the instructor training for more: http://lukasblakk.com/learn-to-teach-programming/

Firefox Marketplace

Speaker Location:
Telefoncia purchased rights to the ‘What Does the Fox Say?” and created this video for LATAM markets. It features a number of Marketplace Apps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMJpK8cBjkQ&app=desktop

Developer Relations

Speaker Location: San Francisco

  • DevPulse. Lots of people at Mozilla do things to help developers build the open web. So much that many people don’t know what is happening or how to get involved! So we’ve started highlighting some key developer-centric activities each month in what we’re calling DevPulse. We’ve published our 2nd edition today; please have a peek and get involved (see last section :).

And if you want to be added to the list to receive this by email let Diane know (diane@mozilla).

IT

Speaker Location: mjeffries,MTV

Vidyo 3.0 Portal upgrade is now live!

The latest version of Vidyo Desktop (3.0.4) has been pushed to the Vidyo Portal (see [1] for new features). That means the next time you open the Vidyo Desktop client, you’ll be prompted to update to the latest version – please select “Update Now”. The download will start and you’ll see a confirmation message when it’s done installing. You will then need to enter your LDAP password to log into the new client to complete the setup process.

Please note all Vidyo calls are now managed through the Vidyo Desktop client (by clicking on the Vidyo icon on your desktop) and are no longer managed through the web portal (https://v.mozilla.com).

Thanks again to all who provided feedback over the past couple months to help test and provide feedback on version 3 of Vidyo Desktop.

Some Notes:

  • [1] Support Documentation: https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/SD/Vidyo+Desktop+3

  • Linux Users: The update will only download the client to the home directory, but you will need to install the package manually to update.
  • Ample notice will be provide before v2 of Vidyo Desktop is no longer supported.
  • If a direct download of the Vidyo client is needed, browse to https://v.mozilla.com

IRC: #servicedesk
Phone: x7911
eMail: servicedesk@mozilla.com

Conference Room Survey QR’s are coming! (and we want YOUR feedback!)

Coming to a conference room near you will be QR codes that when scanned open a quick Google survey for feedback on your conference room experience. The QR codes are readable on any smartphone with a QR scanner installed. EUS wants to make sure your conference room experience is the best it can be, and giving us feedback is key.

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Michael Verdi Help our users How you can help users when Firefox 29 launches Home No N/A Links coming next week and in your email
Eric Petitt Firefox Marketing Go to market plan preview for Firefox 29 presentation Thursday. SF No N/A Air Mozilla
Stacy Martin Privacy Help Needed – Browser Privacy and Safety Guide for Domestic Violence Survivors SF No N/A https://wiki.mozilla.org/Privacy/NNEDV
Javaun Moradi Product, Fx for Desktop Need volunteer developers/designers/UX for the NatGeo/U.N. food hackathon! Home (Nick Desaulniers will give update) Details and volunteer
Kristin Baird MozCamp Update on MozCamp strategy for this year SF No N/A
Robyn Chau, Vladimir Vukicevic GDC Planning Team GDC 2014 Recap Remote No http://bit.ly/1rfttkc
Asa Dotzler Firefox OS Participation Tablet Contribution Program MTV No n/a https://wiki.mozilla.org/FirefoxOS/TCP

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Aaron Turon Azita Rashed Mountain View San Francisco Research Engineer
Justin D’Arcangelo Diego Marcos San Francisco US Remote (PA) Media Team
Sydney Polk Clint Talbert Mountain View US Remote (TX) Platform QA

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

16-April-2014

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-04-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Mobile

Read Only

Beta (29)

Nightly (31)

    • bug 988471 – Action bar icons flicker while typing and scrolling with an active text selection

    • bug 928096 – UI for Tab streaming
    • bug 981028 – Add telemetry probes for Top Sites
    • Fix for Fx31 bug 933739 – Issues in URL domain autocompletion

Developer Tools

<Read Only>

  • no-meeting-week is glorious

  • glorious too will be Firefox 31, including this nice new eye-dropper by Heather Arthur

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress