Meeting Notes

28-May-2014

Mobile: 2014-05-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next Merge: 2014-06-09

Topics for This Week

Firefox Search
Moving ahead with experiments (more to add)

Contextual hints
Landing more stuff (more to add)

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Jakub Miara fixed bug 1002537, a concurrency-related favicon bug, as his first contribution. Nice work!

  • Zhanpeng Zeng (:marcus) fixed bug 923368 – Home panel items should allow for copying URL (first patch!)
  • Gokul Caushik fixed bug 972723 – Reading list icon persists when aborting page load and going back to about:home (first patch!)
  • Zack Liu fixed bug 990066 – Update generator function declarations in HomeProvider.jsm
  • Vikneshwar (vik123) fixed bug 1010096 – Display add-ons in alphabetical order in about:addons
  • Alexandru Chiriac fixed bug 997049 – “Switch to tab” does not work for Reading List entries
  • Capella fixed bug 852595 – Increase vertical space to show more remote tabs in tabs tray

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

<Read Only>

  • Finally have headless gecko passing all tests. Waiting on Finkle to reject patch.

  • Got a webapp startup perf test going, bc integrating into autophone
  • bug 1014794 – console.log messages no longer appear in logcat output
  • Playing with Gonzales

Alan K. (ack)

Last week:

  • Bug fixes + feedback changes for CloudSync

This week:

  • Cleanup/refactoring CloudSync for landing based on review feedback (thanks rnewman!)

JChen

<Read Only>

Fixed

Working on

GCP

  • Last week

    • WebRTC 3.50, refactoreded & all r+ed

    • SafeBrowsing reviews
    • Some fatfennec stuff
  • Next week
    • WebRTC 3.50 make it upliftable

    • Mostly holidays

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: Implemented standalone DNS service, began working on standalone Socket Transport Service.

  • This Week: Finish standalone STS. Get code building in standalone repository outside of gecko-dev.

Eugen Sawin

Last week

Next week

  • Gonzales

    • Standard-conformant caching

    • Performance logging
  • Investigating issue with high CPU usage/hangs on desktop with SPDY proxy enabled

Sylvain Cleymans

Last Week:

  • Benchmarks on the different images compression tools

  • Basic image compression in Gonzales

Next week:

  • Continue working on (image) compression

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 1010764 – Make empty tab thumbnails visually consistent

  • bug 1011620 – Revisit how suggestedsites.json is generated at build time
  • bug 1013870 – Settings activity crashes if you build Fennec with targetSdkVersion=19
  • bug 1010261 – Add preference to enable/disable suggested sites
  • bug 1016949 – Fix TestSuggestedSites to account for enable/disable pref
  • (In progress) bug 1004517 – Allow including local images for Home.panels imageUrl fields
  • (In progress) bug 1009587 – Implement image precedence behaviour around suggested thumbnails
  • (In progress) bug 1012462 – Support suggested sites in distribution files
  • (In progress) bug 974434 – Add support for items with variable height in PanelGridView
  • Working with Square team to add the APIs we need to consolidate all our image loading code around Picasso:
  • Lots of reviews

Next week

  • Wrap-up pending bugs/features for Suggested Sites in Fx32

  • Toolbar improvements

liuche

<Read Only>

  • More misc telemetry bugs

  • Contextual hint details with ibarlow/antlam
    • bug 1014293 – Trying out some private browsing contextual hints

    • Swipeable home screen banner hint
  • bug 1010266 – Handle blacklisting “Removed” Top Sites suggestions
  • Mentoring bug 1011714, bug 1013672

Margaret

Highlights

  • Allowing users to clear history from the history panel – bug 998009

  • Still working on “Recent Tabs” panel – bug 1004850
  • Hub bug organization
  • Working with pascalc to localize Home Feeds and goal.com add-ons

Fixed

Working on

eedens

Past

Current

  • bug 1009376: Add android:summary for “Scroll title bar” (Need to add UX’s feedback)
  • Continue working on search intent

    • Get architecture feedback

    • Get UX feedback
    • Make code review plan

Future

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • bug 958889 – Make Fennec “Synced Tabs” tray display entry point to Firefox Account + Sync when user has no existing accounts

Present

  • bug 1006294 – Address bar would not unhide, content over scrolled instead of glow when panning

  • bug 997477 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap on tablet
  • bug 998000 – Create BrowserApp.cancelEditingMode for consistency with BrowserApp.enter/commitEditingMode
  • bug 932208 – BrowserToolbar and HomeFragment context menu ‘Share’ option should be disabled for these protocols: about:// chrome:// file://
  • bug 1009315 – Replace TelemetryContract interfaces with enums

Future

  • Too busy with other things:

    • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

    • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
  • bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests

RNewman

<Read Only>

Fixed

Working on

nalexander

<Read Only>

Last week: Remote Tabs panel improvements! New|private tab switching!

This week: Remote Tabs panel improvements! New|private tab switching!

Fixed

Working on

BLassey

  • bug 1016747 – android protocol

  • bug 1010068 – disable OCSP on Firefox for Android, Ian approves, but wants EV sites to continue to turn green with OCSP disabled
  • bug 1013588 – gecko-based android launcher

Ian Barlow

  • Doing some housecleaning on old bugmail (sorry for the spam!)

  • Search — initial outline http://cl.ly/352L3R1U0T0g
  • Trying to help get some new suggested sites onto our homepage
  • Thinking about Top Sites
  • Interviewing some design candidates

Anthony

  • Search UX work with Ibarlow

  • Tablets work with Ibarlow, Yuan
  • Filed/Working on UX bugs for some basic tab interactions, tabs tray, etc
  • bug 899643 – Synced Tabs divider improvements]
  • bug 997288 – “Open in New|Private Tab” should have a quick switch-to-tab feature]
  • bug 1007436 – Add help FAQ link to negative feedback form]
  • (in progress) bug 1014631 – Add badge counts to normal and private tab buttons in TabsTray]
  • (in progress) bug 1014335 – Make “Pull to Refresh” in Synced Tabs and Home Panels feel excellent.]
  • Looking at contextual hints bugs

Yuan

  • Started filing tablet redesign bugs: [Meta] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1014156

  • Worked on tab status design on tablet
  • Started learning Sass and Quartz Composer for prototyping
  • Tablet design walkthrough with Deb.
  • Haida brain dump with Josh Carpenter (FxOS)

WebRT

  • continuing focus on bug fixes, minor enhancements, and tests

  • smarting from regressions like bug 1013684 and bug 903291
  • bumping priority of test work (relative to enhancements)

Notable Bugs

  • bug 991394 – previously-installed apps stop running – fixed and uplifted to Aurora & Beta

  • bug 1007770 – WebApp update prompt looks scary – update icon – fixed; requested uplift to Aurora & Beta
  • bug 995803 – crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException – needs branch patch for Aurora uplift
  • bug 1011093 – WebApp update prompt looks scary – wordsmith notification text – discussed; needs decision by blassey & ibarlow
  • bug 1009954 – implement unit tests for WebappManager – work-in-progress patch wants feedback
  • bug 957067 – Pass back error when incorrect data passed through in install APK – patch needs updating; blocks other fixes
  • bug 1011832 – Loading my app on Android displays a blank white screen – investigated but unable to reproduce
  • bug 1003962 – Line Runner hangs on launch with white screen – under investigation
  • bug 1013428 – mozilla-apk-cli App Updates side-loaded don’t appear – under investigation
  • bug 1013433 – uninstalling, resideloading, and relaunching app causes it to stall at white screen – under investigation

A-Team

QA

<Read Only>

Feature Focus

Firefox 30 (Beta)- Release: Jun 10, 2014

Firefox 31 (Aurora) – Release: Jul 22, 2014

Firefox 32 (Nightly) – Release: Sep 2, 2014


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-05-28

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)

  • 30.0b8 ships today

  • Final 30.0 Desktop Beta is going to build tomorrow (RC next Monday)
  • Final 30.0 Mobile Beta is going to build next Monday
  • Push to mirrors for FF30 will occur on Monday June 9th (day before release), release timing is for 8am Tues June 10th

Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Uplifts

Beta (30)
  • Favicons in URL bar are not fetched after changing an option in settings menu (Bug 968180)

  • Regression: ‘Share Image’ shares link and not actual image (Bug 990642)
  • Text selection keyboard shortcuts not working (Bug 993261)
  • Regression: Sharing an image crashes the browser @ at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoAppShell.downloadImageForIntent(GeckoAppShell.java:2690) (Bug 1009560)
  • Disable zoom for find in page (Bug 1014708)
Aurora (31)
  • Get rid of “Add panel” menu item in home settings (Bug 1009586)

Landings

Nightly (32)
  • Add a “Remove” context menu item to top sites thumbnails on about:home (Bug 913457)

  • No tooltip when long-pressing action bar’s icons (Bug 943908)
  • Make Fennec “Synced Tabs” tray display entry point to Firefox Account + Sync when user has no existing accounts (Bug 958889)
  • Reading list icon persists when aborting page load and going back to about:home (Bug 972723)
  • Number-only search queries don’t work (Bug 993705)
  • Support URI autocomplete on Swype (and other composition focused) keyboards (Bug 994472)
  • “Switch to tab” does not work for Reading List entries (Bug 997049)
  • Clicking Download icon is required in nightly, no error feedback (Bug 1001129)
  • Can’t attach a downloaded .doc file to bugzilla (Bug 1001851)
  • WebApp update prompt looks scary – update icon (Bug 1007770)
  • Default home panel indicator is broken in settings in Fx30 (Bug 1010268)
  • System locale changes not correctly reflected in running Fennec activities (Bug 1011008)
  • Duck Duck Go content gets shifted down on every resize (keyboard dismissal) (Bug 1014034)
  • Duck Duck Go, artifacts remain on screen after resize (Bug 1014054)

Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)

Desktop

Watching Beta 8 closely to see if it fixes the Firefox process not closing on shutdown issue.

Gearing up for the “Update all the users” Hotfix, currently planned for June release. (Bug 928173)

Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)

Desktop

News

Microsoft released its Surface Pro 3 last week, further refining the power tablet offering and receiving mostly positive reviews for pretty much everything except the keyboard.
Why we should care: Microsoft’s Surface product line continues to grow, and is generating around $1B/quarter in revenue in a market where tablet rev/sales are plateauing (and in some cases declining). The Surface Pro 3 is closer to a Windows laptop replacement than Android or iOS tablets, and adoption bears watching.

Google now requires extensions to be hosted on the Chrome Web Store to be installed. Google is framing this as protecting the user, and to help prevent third-party and/or submarine installs. Extensions not installed via the Web Store can/will be disabled until those extensions are hosted there.
Why we should care: Google’s continuing to ratchet down access to its product via addons (specifically plugins and extensions) and what they can change in-product. The changes are advocated as user experience wins, and gives Google more control and influence over how their product is affected by other software/interests, similar to other Google products/services.

Notes

  • Chrome 35 is out, which includes a number of security updates, improved dev tools, some ECMAScript 6 implementation, un-prefixed Shadow DOM and Web Audio API, and brings “Ok Google” and folders to ChromeOS. Interesting bit dev-side is the use of AddressSanitizer for bug detection.

  • Apple also released a security update for Safari, and encouraged administrators of OS X networks to update expediently.
  • Opera continues to acquire ad companies, continuing its focus on being a mobile ad platform that makes products that integrate nicely with it. This is old news, but still interesting in where Opera continues to invest.
  • Google acquired Divide, a company that develops BYOD policy software. Continued investment in Enterprise space alongside Chromebooks and Android, and may also supplement Chrome x-platform as a BYOD client choice.

Android

News

Google quietly Google has launched an updated mobile web version of the Play store, giving users the ability to use the web versus a native app. You can have a peek at https://play.google.com/store.
Why we should care: With the integration of Chrome in the launcher, this may be a way Google plans to better integrate Play content and hardware discovery and acquisition without the need of a dedicated app (and may also drive the underlying app itself).

Notes


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

27-May-2014

SeaMonkey: 2014-05-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> mcsmurf

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • TBD

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)
We should assign people to the open items.

NEW
OPEN

  • http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ has not been updated since November 2012, the last version listed is 2.14 (bug 956561); move blog to blog.mozilla.org if possible Assigned: mcsmurf.

    • Mcsmurf says that it looks like we might be getting a blog on blog.mozilla.com.

    • KaiRo will do some DNS magic to get it mirrored at blog.seamonkey-project.org
    • bug 973886 for creating the blog account
  • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager
    • mcsmurf will look into this

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • Callek has been working on migrating our Linux builders to CentOS 6 bug 795354. Puppetmaster has been updated. Ewong is able to login to these hosts and buildbot is installed. We still need to get everything setup for parity and do some slight tweaks to the puppet config, but we’re pretty close to useable.

    • the scheduled 2.27 releases is June 10, thus in two weeks (and still no Linux builds)

      • there is a very high chance that we will be skipping 2.27.(will update this when I get more info.-ewong)
  • bug 983536 libpango version >= 1.22.0 required on Linux.
  • bug 977676 SeaMonkey’s puppet broken due to requirement of ffxbld ldap password.
  • bug 1008596 wrong extension branches are used on aurora, patch is ready
  • Python has been updated on all buildboxen!
  • We are perma-orange on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta due to problems with tests
    • Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.

    • bug 908090 ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5. We do have python 2.7 installed but our build system is picking up python 2.5 instead.
      • ewong’s patch is waiting for review. It was manually patched on the master; but, was reverted and the buildmaster was reconfigured and so the changes are gone. Need to have the patch pushed officially in order for this bug to be fixed.
    • pymake is failing with “invalid syntax” again because of an outdated Python.
    • Priority on fixing this and l10n repacks after 2.24 release.(No ETA yet)
    • bug 943740 is tracking the progress (or lack of one) in building trunk and aurora on Linux & Mac from the downloading user’s POV. (Windows nightlies are still appearing on schedule — or were until a day or two ago.)
  • No langpacks since 29th August on trunk. Needs investigating.
    • Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.

    • In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.
  • Buildmaster is up and running.
    • Callek is hand-approving requests for CLOSED TREE landings at the moment.

    • Due to the master having some mysql issues, Callek has put a halt on the mysql updates, which affects the tbpl. So nothing is showing in tbpl atm.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer has mostly completed the coding. Next step is consultation with mozilla-central build peers on landing the patches and also getting implicit permission to add several new top level directories to mozilla-central.

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey 2.27 beta 1 is not scheduled yet.

    • likely depends on bug 983536 libpango version >= 1.22.0 required on Linux
  • It’s very likely that we’ll skip SeaMonkey 2.27 entirely.
  • Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.26

open tracking (1)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (8)

2.Next

  • Fixed since the last meeting:

    • bug 998724 Feed preview is broken on SeaMonkey nightly.
  • Current breakages:
    • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager needs an owner

    • bug 995737 adapt seamonkey for the ab remote content policy change; use permission manager instead of address book property.
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • bug 910192 Get rid of intl.charset.default as a localizable pref and deduce the fallback from the locale. Tracked in:
      • bug 934492 Adjust the languages preference pane to take into account Bug 910192 which removes intl.charset.default and deduces the fallback from the locale.

      • pref-character_encoding.xul is affected. In MailNews folderProps.xul and am-server.xul are also affected. In Thunderbird fonts.xul is broken (bug 1003716 . In Editor/UI EditorSaveAsCharset.xul is affected.
    • Our front end Sync UI needs to be updated as the old backend is going away in Gecko/Firefox 31. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly. Tracked in:
      • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager.

      • bug 1003434 Add support for about:sync-progress.
    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
    • bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
      • bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
    • bug 627699 Port GTK2 to GTK3. Tracked in:
      • bug 882036 Port GTK2 to GTK3 – SeaMonkey Part.

      • A Red Hat person seems to be working on the GTK3 integration.
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Bugs: Low Hanging Fruit

Not necessarily Good First Bugs but minor fixes that shouldn’t need advanced coding skills.

  • bug 1006052 RIght tabbar scroll button doesn’t get disabled when it should.

  • Implement Close Tabs to the Right.

Good student projects:

  • bug 907733 Have link-related context menus when you select a text link (like Firefox).

  • bug 1011857 Implement CustomizableUI for SeaMonkey.
  • Add ability for new tabs to load a custom page on creation. Implement “browser.newtab.url”. Also implement about:newtab as the default new tab page.

Needs investigation/confirmation/QA wanted?

  • bug 1007012 LDAP Addressbook query fails with sec_error_untrusted_issuer OR ssl_error_rx_malformed_cert_request.

  • bug 1008507 Moving/copying a thread destroys message order .
  • bug 1008728 Bookmarks menu subfolders don’t display if bookmark titles are long.
  • bug 1008779 SeaMonkey 2.26 pdf viewer prints blank page. Things were fine prior to 2.26 release. To confirm that this is fixed by Core bug 1003707.
  • bug 1012491 Some attempts at HTTP requests result in browser hanging. Someone who is familiar with debugging on Linux please help the person reporting bug 1012491.
  • bug 1015714 SeaMonkey doesn’t open after havig run updater. Can anyone reproduce this problem on OSX 10.9?

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 28 new, 14 fixed, 12 triaged.

  • Low triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
30 review
6 super-review
4 ui-review
3 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.

  • SeaMonkey needs a debugger for its chrome code. Jez couldn’t continue work on bug 613974 because he couldn’t figure out a way to debug Seamonkey’s JS. He suggest Firebug be modified to allow remote debugging of Seamonkey (bug 1006466). Bare minimum, have a good tutorial about how to debug Seamonkey chrome from Firefox (couldn’t get that to work either) and link it from various Seamonkey developer pages.
    • We had some discussion in the meeting if we should look at porting/including the Firefox devtools or rather look into bundling Firebug 2.0
  • TODO: We will need to update our Sync UI code due to the new Sync API. Also we need to check if we are allowed to create FX accounts from our UI Since the new Sync accounts are FX accounts.[IanN] I’m sure I saw a question about FX accounts and branding.

Modern Theme rework (Patrick Dempsey)

Patrick Dempsey in concentrating on paid work at the moment.

Attachment Reminders

Suyash Agarwal is working on attachment reminders to SeaMonkey MailNews. bug 984016 Attachment Reminder: Help prevent forgetting inclusion of attachments (Port TB bug 244455)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 1005630 – Fix Windows bustage. Port bug 999260 and bug 1003812 to SeaMonkey comm-central

    • bug 1014443 – buildbot master’s pulse queue is full and filled up /dev/shm.
  • To be Checked-in:

    • bug 992561 – Typo in viewCertificate.label in suite/locales/en-US/chrome/browser/navigator.dtd
  • Review:

    • bug 840427 – Migrate SeaMonkey builders to using mock

    • bug 853720 – After bug 827446, SeaMonkey doesn’t know mozcrash.
    • bug 922076 – Switch tests to using moz.build and manifests
    • bug 949884 – disable pulseaudio in SeaMonkey
    • bug 956007 – Remove front end for removed x-user-def font preferences
  • Working On:

    • bug 110904 – attach signature fails silently on bad paths

    • bug 507676 – Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 837649 – [Tracking Bug] Stop OSX 10.5 support for SeaMonkey project
    • bug 837650 – Stop support for OSX 10.5 in suite/ tree
    • bug 863747 – Add option to disable Location bar history
    • bug 918474 – Default Search dropdown doesn’t get refreshed after adding new search engine
    • bug 928632 – When the birth year is empty, SeaMonkey puts 1900 and in English language

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 1008596 No SeaMonkey 2.28a2 nightly aurora builds, likely due to wrong relbranches in client.py configuration
  • Pending check in:
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
    • bug 837408 Add en-GB locale to gaia

    • bug 1016132 Port |bug 985742 – fuelApplication.js:1512 – mutating the Prototype of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial Prototype value using Object.create| to SeaMonkey
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
  • Working on:
    • bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)

    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

Neil

Fixed on comm-central:

Fixed on comm-central, needs aurora checkin:

Fixed on comm-central, needs aurora and beta checkin:

Fixed on comm-central, needs aurora uplift:

Fixed on comm-central, needs aurora and beta uplift:

  • bug 1008835 Unable to defer a new account to the Global Inbox.

Needs checkin and aurora and beta checkin:

  • bug 794749 Separator positions are not remembered in the 3-pane window’s vertical view.

Needs partial beta backout:

Working on:

  • bug 934492 Adjust the preference panes for the removal of the charset data source.

Waiting for review:

Needs review:

  • bug 553757 SMTP Server dialog doesn’t fit after disabling SSL.

The beta checkins and uplifts would also be suitable for a point release.

Ratty

Fixed:

  • bug 797240 Update suite/common/app-license.html to reference MPL2 and fix inclusion into about:license.

  • bug 1005679 Remove cruft from the viewLog dialog and and bring it up to spec [MailNews].
  • Pushed patch for bug 916865 which I totally forgot about (Revert the part of bug 906083 which changed the spellchecker.dictionaries.download.url).
  • bug 993971 Preview lightweight themes from the Apply Theme menu.
  • bug 1014105 Eliminate the AUTOCOMPLETE_OLD_STYLE variable in XUL.css.

Working on:

  • bug 1001071 XBLify folder-selection menus in the FilterListDialog and SearchDialog.xul.

  • Some minor updates to confvars.sh .

Other stuff:

  • Did some reviews.

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

rsx11m

Waiting for check-in:

  • bug 844098 Update about:rights content for Safe Browsing based on Toolkit bug 514817 and separate inline scripts.

Waiting for reviews:

  • bug 1009233 Help on mail account settings for authentication method needs updating.

  • bug 1015924 Focus cursor on address bar when opening new private window.

Still waiting for ui-review:

  • bug 994093 Provide toggle for Geolocation service (geo.enabled) in Privacy & Security preference pane.

  • bug 998787 Remove redundant “Don’t Share” option from Geolocation doorhanger notification.
  • bug 173465 Add UI for mail/news “network.protocol-handler.external…” preferences.

Other:

  • Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.

  • End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.

stefanh

Fixed:

  • bug 1006068 The top of the web page is now too small and two menu bars are intermixed.

Working on:

  • bug 333910 nsITheme for menu/scrollbox arrows [Core:Widget Cocoa].

  • bug 1012445 Implement NS_THEME_CHECKMENUITEM for Mac OS X [Core:Widget Cocoa].

Tobin

  • Fixed bug 1008725 /suite/installer/package-manifest.in needs to handle lack of mapi files when --disable-mapi is used.

  • Working on bug 1009890 Ctrl+P and Ctrl+W not working from Print Preview window.

Any other business?

Discuss:

  • [Ratty] KaiRo reminded us that we need to grow our contributor community. Perhaps we can get some Engagement experts from Mozilla to give us some suggestions?

    • [IanN] might have a chat with some people and see if they can point me in the right direction.

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2014-05-27

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

  • 30.0b8 goes to build today

  • Last mobile beta next Monday, last desktop beta on thurs (RC next week)
Next Merge: June 9, 2014 Next Release: June 10, 2014
Trains
Central: 32 Aurora: 31 Beta: 30 Release: 29

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 8.61 (Previous Week: 7.61).

  • \m/ to Nicolas Silva (nical) for fixing bug 924622 after an insanely tedious, tear-filled process.
  • #1: bug 1015200 – Frequent B2G emulator reftest timeouts.
  • #2: bug 1005274 – Intermittent browser_dbg_addon-console.js | Test timed out followed by 30+ more failures.
    • Currently unowned.
  • #3: bug 1010423 – Intermittent browser_wa_properties-view-edit.js | Test timed out.
    • Currently unowned.
  • bug 950653 – Intermittent PROCESS-CRASH | b2ginstance.py | application crashed [@ JSAutoCompartment::JSAutoCompartment].
    • Big spike starting yesterday. Bisection underway.
  • 14 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

CritSmash (dbolter)

  • Risk factor moving in the right direction (down). \o/

MemShrink (njn)

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers look decent for desktop, awesome for Android – Nightly has a few regressions and still some missing ADI.

  • ADI on Nightly are normalizing after backout of bug 1006615, work on new infrastructure continues, will make sure to only re-land when the whole stack works.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

<Read Only>
A sampling of current-ish things:

  • IPC a11y work is progressing (Trevor’s initial patch is r+’ed)

  • We have a fun OMTC (WM_GETOBJECT) fallout issue to resolve. bug 1014673
  • FFOS/GAIA a11y work is full speed. New collab is happening with Ux and components people.

Developer Tools (robcee)

<Read Only>

  • Debug Button on Slow Script Dialog!!! bug 717749

37 bugs fixed.

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

  • bug 913249 – Implement OMTC Windows Basic

  • bug 978913 – Dragging e10s window between HiDPI and non-HiDPI displays causes text to be scaled incorrectly

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

  • Iteration 32.3 started today, details in Madhava’s firefox-dev post. Highlights include:

    • More work on the instant translation feature trial

    • Investments in Sync migration and bug fixes/polish
    • Form auto-fill breakdown

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings

Nightly (32)
  • Add a “Remove” context menu item to top sites thumbnails on about:home (Bug 913457)

  • No tooltip when long-pressing action bar’s icons (Bug 943908)
  • Make Fennec “Synced Tabs” tray display entry point to Firefox Account + Sync when user has no existing accounts (Bug 958889)
  • Reading list icon persists when aborting page load and going back to about:home (Bug 972723)
  • Number-only search queries don’t work (Bug 993705)
  • Support URI autocomplete on Swype (and other composition focused) keyboards (Bug 994472)
  • “Switch to tab” does not work for Reading List entries (Bug 997049)
  • Clicking Download icon is required in nightly, no error feedback (Bug 1001129)
  • Can’t attach a downloaded .doc file to bugzilla (Bug 1001851)
  • WebApp update prompt looks scary – update icon (Bug 1007770)
  • Default home panel indicator is broken in settings in Fx30 (Bug 1010268)
  • System locale changes not correctly reflected in running Fennec activities (Bug 1011008)
  • Duck Duck Go content gets shifted down on every resize (keyboard dismissal) (Bug 1014034)
  • Duck Duck Go, artifacts remain on screen after resize (Bug 1014054)

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

    • Porting Summary

      • Flame

      • Vixen: QA starts tests on 5/26
      • Tarako: PTR2 has begun. Solving blockers.
      • Dolphin: PTR1 has begun.
      • QSD8926 LTE: Gonk KK + Gecko master
    • On-site support
      • SPRD Shanghai

        • Kai-zhen Li 5/9-5/21
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • WebBluetooth API refinement is in progress (bug 1005848)

    • 1.4 QC blocker
    • Bluetooth test cases on ICS emulator will be enabled in a few days. Patches are all ready to go.
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • bug 904177 – Integrate MediaCodec into gecko for media playback

      • mp3 playback works. Working on mp4 now.
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)

    • No update.

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • bug 989945 – [B2G][WebRTC] long video lag when using H.264 codec.

  • bug 983489 – 983489: Crash on nsIAppStartup.quit()
  • bug 1009980 – can’t take snapshot with canvas 2D with skiaGL enabled
  • bug 987529 – Implement Vsync dispatch pipeline
  • bug 814524 – Make WebGLContext::TexImage2D avoid readback for video elements
  • bug 973777 – Breaking down the information of GrallocReporter

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • 1.3+/1.3T+/1.4+,

    • bug 1001897 – crash in wifi_connect_on_socket_path

    • bug 1008557 – [Flame] Unable to send or receive SMS
    • bug 1010252 – Wifi known network is forgotten while auto-connection failed
    • bug 1014485 – [Flame][NFC]: NfcConnector::Create() still keep calling socket() to consume performance even device has no nfcd.*
  • 2.0,

    • bug 790056 – Enable WPA-EAP

    • bug 824717 – WebSMS: When sending a SMS fails, it would be handy to have the message in the error event object.
    • bug 843452 – B2G RIL: use ipdl as IPC in MozMobileConnection.
    • bug 922584 – B2G RIL: provide WebAPI to setup network connections and expose connection state
    • bug 939046 – B2G RIL: Data call and RILNetworkInterface enhancement
    • bug 975778 – [B2G] [Emulator] Support CDMA_FLASH command for Cdma call waiting
    • bug 981519 – [CDMA] Number and name presentation.
    • bug 993836 – [NFC] Emulator support for reading NDEF data from type 2 tag.
    • bug 999867 – [Sora]MMS receiving is not possible
    • bug 1001315 – [NFC] Testcase for reading url from type 2 tag.
    • bug 1002314 – WebAPI: WifiManager.getCapabilities()
    • bug 1003711 – [RTSP] Build Darwin Streaming Server on B2G emulator
    • bug 1003775 – B2G NFC: removePeerTarget in Nfc.js doesn’t work for Browser app.
    • bug 1010292 – crash in strstr | update_ctrl_interface
    • bug 1010733 – Capability for partner’s app to implement WISPr function
    • bug 1011414 – [RTSP] Request for a new repository: darwin-android
    • bug 1013745 – Refine telephony dialling flow and pending outgoing call mechanism

GFX (milan)

  • OMTC

    • Windows latest landing seems to have stuck.

    • The original plan was to not have this on 32 Aurora, but we will reevaluate this decision in the next two weeks. We may be able to get to all the issues that may be stopping it from riding the 32 train.
    • Linux – one more review, should land this week.
  • Skia

    • This has slowed down given the 1.4 games performance work.
  • APZ

    • Low res tiling landed, got backed out (OOP tests), should have another solution this week.

    • Overscroll effect will get the pref this week so that it can be tested.
  • 1.4 WebGL games performance

    • Looking at the first bottleneck. Have a few approaches that should all remove it, but need to make sure they’re shippable code.

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Landed a 17-part patchset to clean up and integrate OMX HW H.264 codecs into WebRTC

    • Firmware issues on the JB-based flame kernels will require updates to KK+new DSP firmware to have usable delay
  • Vendor driver problems with Audio on Flame are causing problems for GetUserMedia/WebRTC – bug 1008017
  • MSE and EME work under way
  • OpenH264 nearing initial source release; integration with GMP codec plugin work landed but more followups are being done
    • Who builds and how and API details for the GMP interface are being resolved. Cisco has to do distribution.

Necko (dougt/jduell)

No update this week.

Performance (vladan)

No update this week

Seceng (grobinson)

  • bug 1004351 We’re pinning Twitter in Nightly as of Saturday’s build!

  • Landed new CSP (in C++) parser behind a pref (security.csp.newbackend.enable)
    • Has test coverage on TBPL

    • Helping B2G folks transition their apps so we can
      • use CSP 1.0 on B2G, then

      • get rid of the old parser and X-CSP support entirely

WebAPI (overholt)

<Read Only>

  • No verbal update this week.

  • Ongoing projects:
    • PBackground-ification (enabling more stuff on workers)

    • W3C manifest support
    • Service Workers

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

10:54 laura: dholbert: you are awesome, thank you
10:55 dholbert: laura, np!
10:55 dholbert: interesting, https://air.mozilla.org/engineering-meeting-20140527-3/ has last week's video embedded, it seems
10:58 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from stability today
10:58 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok, thanks
11:03 KaiRo: heh, there's an old video that's already ready to watch on airmo instead of a live stream
11:04 davidb: robot ryan
11:04 lmandel: davidb: I think C3PO's voice processor would be an upgrade for Ryan.
11:04 robcee: he's just a protocol droid.
11:05 davidb: useful nonetheless
11:08 jesup: blassey: serious voiping... try turning off AEC when on headset - not guaranteed, but I've seen that many times before with vidyo (less in the last year though)
11:09 jib: Here's the right link https://air.mozilla.org/engineering-meeting-20140527/
11:09 blassey: jesup: thanks
11:09 blassey: vidyo really insists on turning those back on unfortunitely
11:09 overholt: cpeterson, I should have marked the WebAPI section as read-only
11:10 jesup: yeah; I think they changed that.  Also, OS media processing "enhancements" (like on win7/etc) can mess up an AEC
11:10 jesup: Takes digging to turn off

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-05-2711:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

26-May-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-05-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

A big thank you to Icaaq for his accessibility review of the Firefox Desktop usage tips page, making the page much more friendly for screen readers!

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox OS

Speaker Location: Asa from “the redwoods”

  • Mostly a reprise from last week:

    • If all goes well, the Flame will go on sale tomorrow morning for $170 ($145 + $25 S&H.) We still have a few hundred phones to distribute to Firefox OS and supporting team members. We also have about 1,200 phones for giving away through programs (more on that next week.)

    • Flame reference phone update slides and data: Slide 1 Slide 2 and Slide 3

Firefox Marketplace

Speaker Location: Non-verbal

Do you work on a web site or a web service at Mozilla? Then you should join the WebDev group, a loosely affiliated support group for people make the inter tubes happen by working on servers, clients and services. https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebDev

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Rachelle Yang Kevin Hu Taipei office Taipei office Firefox OS-Technical Account Manager
Hunter Lou / Jenny Lee Mike Tsai Taipei office Taipei office Firefox OS- UX designer

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Automation & Tools

bugzilla.mozilla.org

Notable changes to bugzilla.mozilla.org during the last week:

  • bug 504461 Users with editbugs are now able to mark a bug as security sensitive at any time

  • bug 1010751 The sender of bugzilla’s emails now includes a friendly name. This change may impact mail filters.

All changes.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

21-May-2014

Mobile: 2014-05-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next Merge: 2014-06-09

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Matthew Ostrowski fixed bug 1006824 – Fennec can leak profile path in non-standard configurations (first patch!)

  • Biraj Karmakar filed and fixed bug 1011782 – Update Privacy policy url
  • Alexandru Chiriac fixed bug 997049 – “Switch to tab” does not work for Reading List entries and bug 943908 – No tooltip when long-pressing action bar’s icons
  • Vivek fixed bug 944144 – Implement NavigationHelper.reload
  • J. Ryan Stinnett wrote a robocop test for the remote debugger in bug 1010750, so it will never break again!

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • Banging head on XPCOM issue with headless Gecko

  • Various other bugs
  • Managing stuff

Alan K. (ack)

  • working through issues/feedback from cloudsync partner

  • baking UI/UX changes into FF isn’t the right thing to do here
    • better approach (and faster) is to use addons page (services tab)
  • chromecast arrived, will being working on tab mirroring as soon as cloudsync work winds down
    • starting with websocket server for rtc peer brokering

JChen

Fixed

Working on

  • Also looking at native stack in BHR

GCP

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: Implemented threads and timers for stand alone WebRTC. Attended second screen hack week.

  • This Week: Implement DNS and Socket Service for stand alone WebRTC.

Eugen Sawin

Last week

Next week

  • Gonzales

    • Caching

    • Image compression (Sylvain)
    • More documentation updates
  • bug 1000251 – Add robocop tests for zooming and zoom session history
    • Find out why robocop loads pages at different resolutions compared to manual loading

Sylvain Cleymans

Last/This week: Got all set up

Next week: Image compression on Gonzales

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

WesJ

<Read Only>

  • Out with sick family for a few days

  • bug 1006158 – Build against Android v7 support library and Google Play Services and bug 901803 – Integrate chromecast support into Firefox. – In reviews.
  • bug 990642 – Regression: ‘Share Image’ shares link and not actual image + some other share image stuff that needs to land.
  • bug 1001851 – Can’t attach a downloaded .doc file to bugzilla. – Will uplift

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 1008210 – Pinning a suggested site should keep in the same position

  • bug 1009574 – Properly handle redirects on suggested sites
  • bug 1009853 – Compile error: TopSitesCursorWrapper does not override abstract method getNotificationUri() in Cursor
  • bug 1011533 – Update ShapeCurve’s state in onLayout instead of onMeasure
  • bug 1010261 – Add preference to enable/disable suggested sites
  • bug 1010764 – Make empty tab thumbnails visually consistent
  • bug 1013870 – Settings activity crashes if you build Fennec with targetSdkVersion=19
  • (In progress) bug 1011620 – Revisit how suggestedsites.json is generated at build time
  • (In progress) bug 1010739 – Toolbar refinement – Change curve shape to be consistent with Australis
  • (In progress) bug 1010740 – Toolbar refinement – Change entry asset and tweak padding
  • (In progress) bug 1010741 – Toolbar refinement – Show search icon and change text hint in about:home

Next week

  • More suggested sites

  • Some toolbar stuff

liuche

<Read Only>

  • Finished up top sites removing + associated bugs (bug 913457 and bug 921136)

  • More UI Telemetry
  • mentoring + reviews
  • Contextual hints

Margaret

Highlights

Fixed

Working on

eedens

Past

Current

  • bug 1009376: Add android:summary for “Scroll title bar” (Waiting on UX)

  • bug 881091: showing twice in reader mode (Code done; running tests)
  • bug 918309: Import and use public domain JNI.jsm implementation (Code done; running tests)

Future

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • bug 1012795 – Replace editing mode cancel button telemetry extra with button id name

Present

  • bug 1006294 – Address bar would not unhide, content over scrolled instead of glow when panning

  • bug 997477 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap on tablet
  • bug 998000 – Create BrowserApp.cancelEditingMode for consistency with BrowserApp.enter/commitEditingMode
  • bug 958889 – Make Fennec “Synced Tabs” tray display entry point to Firefox Account + Sync when user has no existing accounts
  • bug 932208 – BrowserToolbar and HomeFragment context menu ‘Share’ option should be disabled for these protocols: about:// chrome:// file://
  • bug 1009315 – Replace TelemetryContract interfaces with enums

Future

  • Too busy with other things:

    • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

    • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
  • bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests

RNewman

<Read Only>

  • Locale switching landed. Only one thing I didn’t address in the initial landing; patch up for review.

  • Working on intent-driven distribution selection and download for partners. Requires a little bit of rejigging when work happens (e.g., bug 1013684!).
  • Review backlog.

Fixed

Working on

nalexander

<Read Only>

At some kind of building fire training thing. Three Mozilla people multiplied by three scheduled hours == a huge waste of time and money. On the bright side, in future, you must refer to me as “Fire Marshall Nick”.

Last week: in SFO for second screen workweek, did some hacking on about:devices. This week: reviewing everything and working on some Remote Tabs panel bugs.

Fixed

Working on

BLassey

  • bug 1008436 – support DIAL multiscreen service, got review, need to update the patch

  • bug 1011340 – Support Multicast DNS (mDNS), mfinke r-‘d
  • bug 1010068 – disable OCSP on Firefox for Android, got r+’s, do we want to land?
  • bug 1013588 – gecko-based android launcher
  • bug 1006186 – casting apps should be able to specify the mime types they support, waiting for review from mfinkle

MFinkle

  • More Mozilla on Android planning

  • More UI Telemetry
    • Landing a few more probes

    • Creating some scripts (github) and doing runs
  • Second screen
    • Reviewing Chromecast patches

    • We added the Roku app to github
    • Prepping some Firefox patches to turn on video casting by default for Nightly

Ian Barlow

Yuan Wang

Anthony Lam

WebRT

  • focus remains on bug fixes, minor enhancements, and tests

  • made android:debuggable=”true” for debug Nightly builds from tinderbox/tryserver (bug 1010587)
  • looking into debugging webapp processes with JimDB

Notable Bugs

  • bug 1010549 – DOMApplicationRegistry initialization dies on NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_IID for nsISystemMessagesInternal – fixed

  • bug 995803 – crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException – fixed; uplift?
  • bug 991394 – previously-installed apps stop running – inbound; tracking 30?
  • bug 1007770 – WebApp update prompt looks scary – update icon – needs info ibarlow
  • bug 1011093 – WebApp update prompt looks scary – wordsmith notification text – needs info ibarlow
  • bug 957067 – Pass back error when incorrect data passed through in install APK – reviewed; needs updating
  • bug 978143 – Cancelling APK installation does not trigger error callback – reviewed; depends on 957067
  • bug 986085 – User-hand-holding to check the Unknown Sources checkbox – needs updated patch; depends on 957067
  • bug 1009954 – implement unit tests for WebappManager – work-in-progress patch wants feedback
  • bug 1003962 – Line Runner hangs on launch with white screen – under investigation
  • bug 1011832 – Loading my app on Android displays a blank white screen – unconfirmed
  • bug 1013428 – mozilla-apk-cli App Updates side-loaded don’t appear – new
  • bug 1013433 – uninstalling, resideloading, and relaunching app causes it to stall at white screen – under investigation; possible dupe of 991394

QA

<Read Only>

Feature Focus

Firefox 30 (Beta)- Release: Jun 10, 2014

Firefox 31 (Aurora) – Release: Jul 22, 2014

Firefox 32 (Nightly) – Release: Sep 2, 2014


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-05-21

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)

  • 30.0b6 Desktop shipped, Mobile out shortly (right after this mtg)

  • 30.0b7 Desktop goes to build tomorrow
  • Next Monday is a holiday in the US so we’ll be kicking off Beta 8 on Tuesday morning (after uplifts)

Firefox Desktop & Platform (Gavin)

Nightly (32)

  • Translation work coming

Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Deb/Karen)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Uplifts

Beta (30)
  • Panning and pinch zooming causes page to whiteout (Bug 983169)

  • charsetMenu.properties not included in localized files (Bug 1005107)
  • End frame of video has duration of entire video (Bug 1008785)
  • Default home panel indicator is broken in settings in Fx30 (Bug 1010268)
Aurora (31)
  • IEmpty view flashes while view is refreshing (Bug 999756)

Landings

Nightly (32)
  • Add support for connecting to HTTP proxy over HTTPS (Bug 378637)

  • Unify removal behavior for bookmark-history-readinglist items from Home items (Bug 921136)
  • Text selection keyboard shortcuts not working (Bug 993261)
  • Zoom level mangled after restoring session (Bug 1002426)

Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)

  • Landings

    • The code editor / project manager has landed & bounced but should re-land and stick this week, follow Bug 987089

    • Type inference / autocomplete support for JS landed in Bug 968896
    • We’ve implemented a way to stream bulk data ( eg large media files or app packages ) over the remote debugger protocol, greatly improving performance of pushing large apps to devices in Bug 980714
  • Outbound

    • All quiet this week, next week Angelina is speaking at CSSConf & JSConf
  • Jetpack

    • requesting Beta uplift for Bug 980714 ( 1 line fix for an issue reported in from add-on users via add-on authors )

Note: I’m AFK next week attending JSConf

Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)

Desktop

Surprise update, no updates today!

There will be a final Australis report making the rounds soon.

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction (Eric/Arcadio)

Firefox Usage Campaign live: http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/desktop/tips/

Goal is to educate Fx29 users on new product features with visual cues on where new features can be found and updated

Will use snippets and owned media to raise awareness and usage

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • Possibility of emergency downtime Fri 1800 PT – worst case 30 min to fix some networking issues. If any reason to defer, contact hwine prior to Fri

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

20-May-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-05-20

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

(READ-ONLY)

  • 30.0b6 Desktop & Mobile going to build this morning, shipping Wednesday

  • We’re in week 4 of beta, all tracked bugs should be assigned and we’re taking less risky/forward fixes – more focus on stability, security fixes and where necessary – backouts
Next Merge: June 9, 2014 Next Release: June 10, 2014
Trains
Central: 32 Aurora: 31 Beta: 30 Release: 29

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

  • Possibility of emergency downtime Fri 1800 PT – worst case 30 min to fix some networking issues. If any reason to defer, contact hwine prior to Fri

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 7.61 (Previous Week: 8.84).

  • Thanks to Mark Hammond for fixing a whole class of failures in the browser_thumbnails mochitests (bug 916497 et al).
  • Thanks to Joel Maher for fixing a 1-year old Windows dromaeojs hang (bug 872788).
  • bug 870205 (discussed last week) remains a top orange.
  • 16 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

CritSmash (dbolter)

  • (Readonly) Risk still not trending well. Will shout from the hill tops next week if necessary.

MemShrink (njn)

  • No update.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers look good except for Nightly, which is missing correct ADI data.

  • ADI data for Nightly is being collected in different manner than before, we will get back to having numbers by the end of this week.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

  • bug 996785 – Bidirectional CPOWs to improve add-on compat.

  • bug 913249 – OMTC for Windows landed (but was backed out).
  • bug 1004745 – “zombie” joins us for his GSoC project to make Jetpack Add-on SDK e10s-compatible.
  • Many crash fixes.

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings

Nightly (32)
  • Add support for connecting to HTTP proxy over HTTPS (Bug 378637)

  • Unify removal behavior for bookmark-history-readinglist items from Home items (Bug 921136)
  • Text selection keyboard shortcuts not working (Bug 993261)
  • Zoom level mangled after restoring session (Bug 1002426)

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

    • Porting Summary

    • On-site support
      • SPRD Shanghai

        • Kai-zhen Li 5/9-5/20
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • bug 941302 – PlatformDecoderModule for Firefox OS – WIP

    • bug 904177 – Integrate MediaCodec into gecko for media playback – WIP
      • First step, tried to make mp3 playback work.
    • bug 1007552 – [Madai] ‘publicnotification’ channel should be fixed for camera shutter – WIP
      • Gonk patch provided.
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)

    • The first version of FeatureDetection API has landed, followup bug got r+. (bug 983502, bug 996996)

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Continuing to work on blocking bugs for 1.3T, 1.4, 2.0

  • Performance optimizations on Music/Gallery for Tarako
  • Wrapping up Ringtones User Stories (in 2.0 we will have the basic features in)
  • Landed Camera Touch Focus on master — please test and file bugs
  • Working on Camera Face Detection feature, targeting to land this in current sprint.

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • bug 987529 – Implement Vsync dispatch pipeline

  • bug 989945 – [B2G][WebRTC] long video lag when using H.264 codec.
  • bug 981153 – Intermittent test_seek.html | Test timed out.
  • bug 983489 – Crash on nsIAppStartup.quit()
  • bug 997367 – Crash at CorssProcessParent

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

<Read Only>

Sprints

Updates

  • Responsiveness: Eli Perelman

    • Launch states bug 996038 design finalized and implementation in progress.
  • Power Consumption: Jon Hylands

    • Power Performance Server in development

GFX (milan)

  • OMTC desktop

    • Windows landed, backed out, relanding (mostly needed to change timeout values in tests)

    • Linux: getting close
  • Skia
    • Following up on reftests failures. Currently in gradients – not just a fuzzing issue
  • APZ
    • Flywheel scrolling seems to be OK

    • Putting in a developer pref for overscroll effect so that UX can test it and see if the design feels right
  • New or unplanned things
    • Flame support for 1.3 (and somewhat less of a surprise, for 1.4)

    • FxOS 1.4 games performance
    • Intern heading for Toronto ended up in Mountain View (no fault of Mozilla) – rejigging some plans to help Walter with local support/tasks.

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Compiler (JIT)

    • bug 1010775: Refactored assembler code to pass some small classes by value instead of by reference
  • Garbage Collection

    • bug 933313: PJS: Integrate with generational garbage collection

    • bug 969012: Investigate and fix a raytrace regression from prior landing.
    • bug 1008473: Work begun on semi-space GC

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • W3C CSS Working Group F2F Meetings this week

  • Notable Bug Fixes:
    • bug 964646 – Add tests for async CSS Animations (OMTA)

    • bug 1008787 – Plugins should be clipped to the size layout expects them to be
    • bug 1009478 – Make LayerActivity properties survive across reframes of an element
    • bug 1005660 – Add an “early freeze” step, to freeze flex items that clearly can’t grow (or shrink, if we’re shrinking).
    • bug 1010470 – Use :disabled pseudoclass instead of [disabled] attribute-selector to style disabled form controls on B2G & Android.
    • bug 1001233 – convert bullet frame’s margin to the block frame’s writing mode when positioning bullet.
    • bug 992100 – mask out complex-script codepoints in fonts that lack the necessary layout tables.
    • bug 1009263 – Add nsCheapSets::Clear() method that removes all entries and return it to minimal size in terms of memory use.
    • bug 1008969 – [css-grid] add nsGridContainerFrame::Reflow and a few grid related nsHTMLReflowState additions
    • bug 1000423 – position: fixed elements are misplaced
    • bug 916315 – Enable CSS sticky positioning in release desktop builds
    • bug 590790 – Add memory reporter for VectorImage’s SVGDocumentWrapper’s document
    • bug 1004327 – input type=number limited to 3 digits of precision

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • WebRTC Interim meeting in Washington DC this week

  • H264 SDP and packetization code progressing; likely will land soon in support of B2G HW codecs and OpenH264
  • Investigating a significant regression in call connections in WebRTC (possible ICE rate-limiting issue)
    • If confirmed, will ask for uplift of a fix to Beta
  • Media Capture working group (MediaStreams, getUserMedia()) likes standardizing mozCaptureStream/mozCaptureStreamUntilEnded, and extending to canvases

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • New HTTP cache has landed!

    • http://www.janbambas.cz/new-firefox-http-cache-enabled/

    • gets rid of largest sources of jank in the browser: other than some startup jank we appear to have no more janks that are longer than 100ms, even on very slow disks. (note: Honza’s number’s are with a patch that disabled 5 sources of startup jank)
    • 1st hit (uncached) loads are now much faster, since we delay writing to cache.
    • Cache no longer disappears whenever we have “unclean” shutdown (which was ~10-20% of the time)
    • We still have some memory consumption issues to fix on mobile (bug 1013333, and B2G/mobile folks may want to help us decide what amount of RAM cache, etc we should use.
  • TLS proxying (ie. TLS connection to HTTP proxy) has landed. (bug 378637). Enables us to work securely with web accelerating proxies.
  • Akamai will be demo-ing opportunistic encryption (i.e. TLS w/o certs) with us at the upcoming IETF meeting in New York.

Performance (vladan)

No update this week

Seceng (mmc)

  • Ability to test testing public key pins landed last night. We want testers to set “security.cert_pinning.enforcement_level” to 3 and see what breaks, telemetry says errors are less than 10^-4 so we are feeling good about going to production soon.

  • bug 973837 has landed and been uplifted to Beta. It blocks view-source URI’s in the data attribute on <object>, which prevents a variant of the same security hole that necessitated blocking the URI on iframes a few months ago.

WebAPI (overholt)

  • No update this week.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only>

  • (:bajaj) Firefox OS 2.0 Sprint #1 Review Report can be found here (You will need a mozilla google doc/drive account to view it!)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributor Yash! Here are some highlights:

  • Tom Schuster (evilpie) updated the Qt port (bug 1008668).

  • Robert Utasi (hunboy) corrected some about:networking UI (bug 1011425).
  • [first patch!] Svetozar Janjic improved MIPS support for SpiderMonkey (bug 996561).
  • Rafael Vieira performed RefPtr/nsRefPtr maintenance (bug 1009228).
  • Fred Wang (fredw) improved MathML styling (bug 930504).
  • Brian Smith (bsmith) improved libpkix (bug 1006041, bug 1006958, bug 1010581, bug 989564)
  • Masatoshi Kimura (emk) fixed the download manager not respecting security settings (bug 1008778, bug 1008851)
  • [first patch!] Kestrel fixed dragging text selections within links (bug 998278).
  • Arpad Borsos (Swatinem) fixed a SpiderMonkey spec compliance problem (bug 1007285, bug 474369)
  • Julien Levesy added a new IonMonkey instruction (bug 1008707).
  • Anuj Agarwal (anujagarwal464) modernized some hashtables (bug 984123).
  • Adam (hobophobe) fixed an intermittent orange (bug 1008450).
  • Martin Stránský fixed a GTK3 crash (bug 909082).
  • [first patch!] Inanc Seylan added several IonMonkey instructions (bug 1003802, bug 1009967, bug 1010339).
  • Xidorn Quan fixed a vertical positioning layout issue (bug 1011461).
  • [first patch!] qeole made the plugin timeout value configurable (bug 1007490).
  • Alex Vincent (WeirdAl) provided addons with a standard directory for data (bug 915838).
  • Arnaud Bienner improved HTML button display (bug 1007278).
  • Girish Sharma (Optimizer) added an API for determining if a module has been loaded (bug 1004487).
  • [first patch!] Althaf Hameez (ahameez) improved OOM message recognition (bug 1001206).

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

10:46 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from stabiliy, and I will miss the meeting due to a conflict
10:46 cpeterson: ok
11:01 blassey: cpeterson: drop the notes link?
11:01 cpeterson: blassey: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-05-20
11:02 davidb: toronto on the way
11:08 blassey: milan_: why do we need to support 1.3 on the flame?
11:08 milan_: blassey: because of "sora" device which is close to flame
11:08 milan_: blassey: and nobody has sora...
11:08 overholt: we could have Hudson/Jenkins-style weather reports next to team reports
11:08 bmoss: milan_: is there anything we can do to help you?
11:08 milan_: blassey: and you can't build 1.3 for Flame without some hoop jumping :)
11:11 blassey: I haven't heard of the sora device
11:14 davidb: grobinson, TIL bug 973837 was fixed. thanks for that :)
11:14 grobinson: davidb: yeah, np, that was all bobowen

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-05-2011:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

19-May-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-05-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

  • Thanks to Bobby Holley [:bholley] for bringing back an important enterprise feature by fixing bug bug 995943 in time for the ESR.

  • Community Building Superstar Badge Awardees this week: thank you to Mary Ellen Muckerman, Kristin Baird, Caneel Joyce, Lizz Noonan, Christie Koehler, Larissa Shapiro, David Boswell, Amira Dhalla, Laura Hilliger, Michelle Thorne, Janet Swisher, Ali Spivak, Karl Dubost, Jessica Osorio, Mike Hoye, Stacy Martin, Adam Stevenson, Michael Taylor, Irayani ‘Rara’ Queencyputri, Ibrahiima Sarr, Regnard Raquedan, Faye Tandong, Francisco Picolini, Irvin Chen , Mahay Alam Khan, Priyanka Nag, San James , Kaustav Das Modak for your awesome work at the MozCamp design session!
  • Congratulations to the winners of the Add-ons for Australis contest, who contributed new and updated add-ons that look and work great in Firefox 29. https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2014/05/13/add-ons-for-australis-contest-winners/

Upcoming Events

Monday, 19 May

  • Finance sends out Q1 2014 Product Activity survey to MoCo employees only via survey gizmo

    • Our goal is to highlight how our people and work activities map to our product focus

    • More information can be found on Product Activity Survey wiki

Wednesday, 21 May

  • Homebrew Website Club Meetup, 18:30-19:30 at Mozilla SF. Description:

    Are you building your own website? Indie reader? Personal publishing web app? Or some other digital magic-cloud proxy?

    If so (or you want to!), come on by and join a gathering of people with like-minded interests. Bring your friends that want to start a personal web site. Exchange information, swap ideas, talk shop, help work on a project…

    Any questions? See the wiki page or irc://irc.freenode.net/indiewebcamp.

Thursday, 22 May

  • 5PM UTC / 1PM EST / 10 AM PST – Security Open Mic

    • An open meeting to chat anything security related with the Mozilla Security team.

    • Vidyo: SecReview Room // Dial-in Info (phone): – US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 – Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 – Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 – Conference num 99710

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox OS

Speaker Location: Mountain View – Asa Dotzler

OpenNews

Speaker Location: Remote – Chicago

We just launched the site for our first-ever conference, SRCCON. It’s a two-day event for news nerds and people interested in journo code in Philadelphia, PA on July 24+25. We’re accepting proposals for conference sessions until June 9.

Mozilla Science Lab

Speaker Location: nonverbal

Grow Mozilla

about:Mozilla is back! Everyone submit their timely contribution opportunities here!

Speaker Location: Jan Bambach, Germany, Jennie Rose Halperin, North Carolina

Firefox Marketplace

Speaker Location: MV

Apps and Marketplace Town Hall, 10am, Thursday, May 29th — Come find out how we’re building the ecosystem that brings users, developers, operators, and handset makers together around the Open Web and Firefox OS.

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Andreas Gal CTO Address the question – Speaking of third-party binary blobs, what is the status of Cisco’s OpenH264 codec? San Francisco No https://moderator.paas.allizom.org/e/monday-internal-meeting-19-may
Denelle Dixon-Thayer Legal, Business Affairs, Policy Address the question – New revenue ideas (e.g. Directory Tiles) seem to be around Desktop/Android. What are we going to do with FxOS/Cloud Services? San Francisco No https://moderator.paas.allizom.org/e/monday-internal-meeting-19-may
Rainer Cvillink Video Production The final Australis video San Francisco No https://air.mozilla.org/australis-the-journey/
John Jensen Metrics Firefox usage Home space No
Curtis Koenig Security Program Manager Mozilla Winter of Security Remote No Blog: https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2014/05/15/introducing-mozilla-winter-of-security-2014/

wiki: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Automation/WinterOfSecurity2014

Chris Riley Sr. Policy Engineer Net Neutrality, Week 3 (of 3) San Francisco No No https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2014/05/05/protecting-net-neutrality-and-the-open-internet/
William Reynolds Community Engagement A Mozillian visits Japan San Francisco No http://terrameijar.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/finally-done/#jp-carousel-402 http://terrameijar.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/finally-done/
Mihca Anderson HR Business Partner Removing Roadblocks to Productivity Mountain View No No Yammer group for updates: https://www.yammer.com/mozilla.com/#/groups/4390018/info
Wiki main page: https://wiki.mozilla.org/People:removing_roadblocks_to_productivity
Wiki PM plan: https://wiki.mozilla.org/People:removing_roadblocks_to_productivity/pm_plan
Kristin Baird Director of Integrated Marketing MozCamp Beta – India Weekly Update San Francisco No No https://wiki.mozilla.org/MozCamps_2014#MozCamp_Beta_-_India
Tim Wong Recruiter Next Weeks’ Virtual Skills Lab SF No N/a https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/globalstaffing/Skills+Labs?src=search (Internal to MoCo only)
Dino Anderson Culture Manager Hacking SF No N/a https://wiki.mozilla.org/Manager_Hacking (Open to all)

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Francisco Jordano David Scravaglieri Paris London Office Firefox OS Comms
Paolo Amadini Gavin Sharp London Office London Office Firefox Software Engineer
Gerry Chang Al Tsai Recording Taipei Firefox OS SQA Engineer
Vicky Nunes Sylvie Brossard Mountain View Mountain View HRIS Manager
Manoharan Balasubramaniam Dees Chinniah Mountain View Mountain View Marketplace
Jason Schmidt Darren Herman New York Office New York Office Business Strategy, Content Services

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Julian Hector Guillaume Destuynder Mountain View San Francisco Security Assurance
Walter Litwinczyk Milan Sreckovic Toronto Mountain View Platform Engineering: Graphics
Sylvain Cleymans Randall Barker Mountain View Mountain View Platform Engineering: Mobile

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Marketplace & Apps

We have released the latest edition of DevPulse into the wild! It features some of the many things happening by and for developers across the Mozilla global community, and offers specific ways for you to support these efforts.

Our goal for DevPulse is to create transparency around the various efforts at Mozilla to support mobile, web & app developers and facilitate greater collaboration.

IT

A/V Issues Update

The Vidyo survey is still open through this week. Please take some time to respond.

https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/forms/d/1DtAMfbgnz7E-IMMMQYRzKBOAeFysgIGF9XRjOrv2ie4/viewform?usp=send_form


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

14-May-2014

Mobile: 2014-05-14

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next Merge: 2014-06-09

Topics for This Week

Firefox Hub
Currently focusing on bug fixes and polish issues, and continuing to build a collection of add-ons to share. Shout out to Sören Hentzschel, Teodora Vermesan, CristinaM, Aaron Train, Jim Chen, and Eugen Sawin for participating in the hub hackathon last week by testing, filing bugs, building add-ons, and contributing to the boilerplate add-on/MDN docs.

Suggested sites
Landed in Nightly. Actual default list of sites is still being discussed. File bugs! https://twitter.com/FennecNightly/status/465169855248105472

Second screen
Work week in SF, making good progress. Hoping to have Netcast and Chromecast support landed by the end of the week

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • vikek fixed bug 944144 – Implement NavigationHelper.reload

  • Alexandru Chiriac is working on bug 997049 – “Switch to tab” does not work for Reading List entries
  • Robin Ricard is working on bug 994724 – Clean up ZoomHelper logic

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

JChen

<Read Only>

Past week

  • NativeJSObject array support

  • JNI.jsm fixes
  • Getting hang telemetry to work again

Fixed

Working on

GCP

  • Last week

    • WebRTC 3.50 update: audio + video gum works

    • Testing rotation/suspend support
  • Next week
    • Clean up code, land, push upstream

    • bug 936041 Enable new malware download protection on Android
    • Android 2.2 support? Maybe?

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: Continued work on resolving linking symbols in stand alone WebRTC nsThreads, nsTimers, etc.

  • This Week: Second screen hack week and continue resolving symbols.

esawin

Summary

  • Zoom tests landing soon

  • Basic SPDY proxy prototype

Fixed

  • (reopened) bug 1002426 – Zoom level mangled after restoring session

Working on

Brian Nicholson

WesJ

<Read Only>

  • bug 1001851 – Can’t attach a downloaded .doc file to bugzilla

  • Second screen. Getting Chromecast (and Miracast?) support cleaned up.
  • bug 901360 – Convert to Downloads.jsm in Firefox for Android – Lots of regressions. Will likely back this out of 31.

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • Landed suggested sites:

    • bug 996657 – Turn TopSitesCursorWrapper into a multi-cursor wrapper

    • bug 997660 – Update TopSites grid to use row types from TopSitesCursorWrapper
    • bug 997777 – Optimize moveToPosition() performance in TopSitesCursorWrapper
    • bug 997780 – Implement image loading for suggested sites in TopSitesPanel/TopSitesGridItemView
    • bug 997888 – Exclude sites from suggested sites
    • bug 1008295 – Avoid using support library’s ArrayMap
    • bug 997772 – Bootstrap suggested sites framework
    • bug 997782 – Use suggested sites in the top sites panels
    • bug 1007645 – Consider disabling background color filter for suggested sites
    • bug 1008210 – Pinning a suggested site should keep in the same position
    • bug 1009574 – Properly handle redirects on suggested sites
  • Brainstorming and prototyping with ibarlow, margaret, and antlam
  • Blogged about custom layouts:

Next week

  • More suggested sites

  • Some UI prototyping

liuche

<Read Only>

  • Top sites bugs (almost done with bug 913457, bug 1010266, bug 921136)

  • Contextual hints arrow popup
  • Taking care of Margaret’s intern – say hello to Eric Edens (eedens)
  • Reviews

Margaret

<Read Only>

Highlights

  • Hub add-on hacking

  • Hub bug fixing
  • Mini UX hacking meet-up in London this week

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • bug 1005924 – URL outline is not resized correctly after changing device orientation

  • bug 1001243 – Hitting the right edge of the toolbar in editing mode may fall through to the tabs button on devices without animations
  • bug 1009279 – Increase browser toolbar editing mode hit targets by changing margin to padding
  • bug 997487 – Add UI telemetry to editing mode cancel button

Present

  • bug 997477 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap on tablet

  • bug 998000 – Create BrowserApp.cancelEditingMode for consistency with BrowserApp.enter/commitEditingMode
  • bug 958889 – Make Fennec “Synced Tabs” tray display entry point to Firefox Account + Sync when user has no existing accounts
  • bug 932208 – BrowserToolbar and HomeFragment context menu ‘Share’ option should be disabled for these protocols: about:// chrome:// file://

Future

  • Too busy with other things:

    • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

    • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
  • bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests

nalexander

<Read Only>

Highlights

  • Second screen work week in San Francisco! \o/

  • Got interested in backing up/exporting bookmarks and reading list in response to intermittent support requests.

Fixed

Working on

BLassey

  • got the netcast dongele working, patch up for mfinkle’s review

    • two other patches along the way

    • Casting apps should be able to unregister themselves bug 1007266
  • disable OCSP on Firefox for Android bug 1010068

MFinkle

  • Landed a bunch of UI telemetry support

  • Working on UI telemetry analysis scripts

Ian Barlow

<Read Only>

  • In London, hacking on all things Fennec with Anthony, Lucas, Margaret.

WebRT

<Read Only> due to conflict with Town Hall event

  • bug 1004825 – prioritized, tagged Android logging from JavaScript – landed

  • bug 995803 – crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException – patch in review
  • bug 957067 – Pass back error when incorrect data passed through in install APK – patch in review
  • bug 978143 – Cancelling APK installation does not trigger error callback – patch in review
  • bug 986085 – User-hand-holding to check the Unknown Sources checkbox – patch needs updating
  • bug 1009954 – implement unit tests for WebappManager – work-in-progress patch for feedback
  • bug 1003962 – Line Runner hangs on launch with white screen – under investigation
  • bug 991394 – previously-installed apps stop running – stuck

QA

<Read Only>

Feature Focus

Firefox 30 (Beta)- Release: Jun 10, 2014

Firefox 31 (Aurora) – Release: Jul 22, 2014

Firefox 32 (Nightly) – Release: Sep 2, 2014

Round Table

  • Crash rate on nightly is reported to be ~20 crashes/100 ADU

    • This is an error Kairo made some changes where blocklist pings this has caused a major drop in ADI 1200 -> 300

    • raw number of crashes looks to be the same or lower than previous nightlies

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress