Meeting Notes

30-June-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-06-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

  • Congratulations to Lukas Blakk for a wonderful Open Source Bridge keynote about Project Ascend. The Community Building Team also awards Lukas a Community Building Superstar Badge!

  • Huge thanks to Mozilla Mexico for their awesome work at Campus Party in Guadalajara, MX this weekend

Upcoming Events

Monday, 30 June

Tuesday, 01 July

Canada Day! Woo!

Wednesday, 02 July

  • Homebrew Website Club Meetup, 18:30-19:30 (with quiet writing hour from 17:30-18:30 beforehand)

    • Chicago, Portland, and Mozilla San Francisco!

    • Description:

      Are you building your own website? Indie reader? Personal publishing web app? Or some other digital magic-cloud proxy?

      If so (or you want to!), come on by and join a gathering of people with like-minded interests. Bring your friends that want to start a personal web site. Exchange information, swap ideas, talk shop, help work on a project…

      Any questions? See the wiki page for details or irc://irc.freenode.net/indiewebcamp.

Thursday, 03 July

  • 5PM UTC / 1PM EST / 10 AM PSTSecurity Open Mic

    • An open meeting to chat anything security related with the Mozilla Security team.

    • Vidyo: SecReview Room // Dial-in Info (phone): – US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 – Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 – Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 – Conference num 95294

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Desktop

Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)

  • Experimentation!

    • Install

    • Search
    • Translation
    • New tab improvements

Firefox Mobile

Speaker Location: remote (mfinkle)

  • Turning off 2.2 tests soon

    • Some tests still don’t run on 2.3, so we’re going to loose 2.x test coverage for those. Beware and hand test relevant bits.

    • Partly to improve our test infra
    • Partly to begin EOL on Froyo
  • UI Telemetry
    • Check out the basic UI Telemetry dashboard

    • We are moving into the interpretation phase and should be filing bugs for any actionable issues we discover
  • Firefox Search
    • Currently working on getting the foundation in place to land in m-c.

    • Project page has more details
  • Firefox crashes on startup in the Android L Preview

Firefox OS

  • Flame Programs – Asa Dotzler, Mountain View

  • Foxtrot (panel of Flame users who agree to help test and give directed feedback to the Product, UX, and QA teams) applications did not open last week as announced. We are working on the application form this week. Will announce as soon as its live.

  • Flame retail site is live again. Phones arrive from manufacturer to retail for distribution on July 10. Shipping is 3-7 business days. So, first retail Flames will land on our community in approximately 2 weeks.
  • If you’ve already got a Flame (from the pre-retail batch of 2000) and you are planning on sticking with the release channel and getting OTA updates, you’ll need to flash a new Firefox OS v1.3 (build 122) If you’re an employee, you can get this build today (see Asa) and if you’re a volunteer, we’ll have that build posted at our partner’s ASAP.
  • It has been determined that we will not push 1.4 to the Flame. The first major OTA update for Flame will take users from Firefox OS 1.3 to Firefox OS 2.0.
  • More details at our new wiki > https://wiki.mozilla.org/FirefoxOS/Flame# and hang out in IRC at #flame
  • Tablet Contribution Program

    • We’ve shipped out about 50% of the 10″ tablets and continue to deliver.

    • Email going out this week to let those participants who have not received a tablet know that it’s on the way.
    • Last week we held the first of our new weekly meetings with Taipei Stream 3 team, Asa Dotzler, and several of the volunteer TCP coordinators.
    • We have nightly builds. The TCP coordinators are testing now and we’ll post more publicly this week.

Webmaker

Speaker Location: (Nonverbal)

Grow Mozilla

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Kristin Baird Engagement MozCamp India San Francisco Yes https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/presentation/d/1kykMJEKSH4_FJdYEgXDTYljf1Tfuem2Mh97vGn3PMEI/edit#slide=id.g38bcb5299_030 https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/presentation/d/1kykMJEKSH4_FJdYEgXDTYljf1Tfuem2Mh97vGn3PMEI/edit#slide=id.g38bcb5299_030
Mark Jeffries IT A/V Survey Results San Francisco No https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/SD/2014+AV+Survey+Results https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/SD/2014+AV+Survey+Results
Robyn Chau Developer Events “The Big 5″ Events Remote Yes http://bit.ly/1iNUAoI http://bit.ly/1iNUAoI

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Jessica Amann Mihca Anderson Mountain View San Francisco Human Resources Business Partner

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Laleh Beni Cameron Zwarich Mountain View San Francisco Servo
Bernardo Rittmeyer Matt Noorenberghe Vidyo Mountain View Firefox Desktop
Artem Sobolev Seth Fowler Mountain View Mountain View Platform Engineering: Graphics
Sean Bolton Larissa Shapiro Mountain View San Francisco Community Building
Jakub Jurovych Nick Fitzgerald Mountain View San Francisco Developer Tools
Christopher Kitching Wes Johnston Mountain View San Francisco Firefox for Android
Robert Bindar Mike Henretty Mountain View San Francisco Firefox OS
Filipe Gonçalves Gregor Wagner Mountain View San Francisco Firefox OS
John Sullivan Steve Workman Mountain View San Francisco Networking
Tyler Smith Nikhil Marathe Mountain View Mountain View Platform Engineering: DOM
Thomas Daede Jack Moffitt Mountain View Mountain View Research
Stuart Pernsteiner Brian Anderson Mountain View Mountain View Research
Chance Zibolski Rob Miller Mountain View San Francisco Services Engineering
Ian Kronquist Michael Cooper Mountain View Mountain View WebDev: Input
Trevor Bramwell Chris Lonnen Mountain View Mountain View WebEng: Crash Reporter

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Automation & Tools

bugzilla.mozilla.org

Notable changes to bugzilla.mozilla.org during the last week:

  • bug 943146 The “needinfo” menu now includes the mentor(s)

All changes.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

25-June-2014

Mobile: 2014-06-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2014-07-21

Topics for This Week

UI Telemetry
Updated the UI Telemetry dashboard. We are moving into the interpretation phase and should be filing bugs for any actionable issues we discover.

Feature Videos
Launching a bunch of short videos that show off Firefox for Android features. Let’s push to get these released.

Turning off 2.2 tests this week
Some tests still don’t run on 2.3, so we’re going to loose 2.x test coverage for those. Beware and hand test relevant bits.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Ethan Pransky fixed bug 1019009 – Detect unclosed Cursors in SQLiteBridge/MatrixBlobCursor

  • Hathibelagal A fixed bug 1027831 – Switch from deprecated FILL_PARENT to MATCH_PARENT in Java and XML (first patch!)

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

<Read Only>

  • Gonzales instance is up, details for testing coming later this week or early next week

  • Worked on a workaround for OpenSL hang on 2.3 bug 1020227
  • Miscellaneous Gonzales fixes/enhancements
  • Wrote an addon that lets you easily enable/disable Gonzales on mobile and desktop
  • Wrote a patch to support the upcoming networking support for changing networks

Alan K. (ack)

Last Week

  • CloudSync patch up for review

    • Will add support for Livemarks and Places Queries in a follow-up patch this week
  • New build provided to partner

This week

  • Mesh networking in B2G

    • Fixing up ad-hoc network support
  • Follow-up patch for CloudSync

JChen

Fixed

Working on

  • bug 1016629 – Add native stack support in ThreadStackHelper

GCP

<Read Only>

  • Last week:

    • SafeBrowsing reviews as ever

    • Mentor bugs
    • bug 1018928 Regression: Selecting “No video” option from the permission prompt still shows the content of the device camera.
    • More Android WebRTC tests
    • bug 1029401 crash in mozilla::MediaEngineTabVideoSource::StopRunnable
  • Next week:
    • bug 1015932 Create a way to share the OpenSLES engine between cubeb and WebRTC

    • bug 983504 Make GUM able to pull screen into a MediaStream

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: Rebased standalone WebRTC code to tip of tree. Worked on add-on to stream tab from fennec.

  • This Week: Resolve issues with tab streaming from fennec. Rebase Roku build system and merge with standalone WebRTC branch.
  • Problems: Mystery crash in MacOS X standalone player. Need to understand why libmozalloc can not be statically linked. Only part of the player not being linked statically.

Eugen Sawin

Last week

Next week

Sylvain Cleymans

Last week:

  • Added tests to Gonzales

Next week:

  • Finish fixing the tests

  • Improve the testing system

Martin McDonough (mmcdonough)

Last Week:

  • Worked on AAC decoding in mpeg4 for Android.

This Week:

  • Work on H264 decoding.

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

  • This week

    • Experimental reader mode hint stuff

    • bug 1020602 – Send serialized input elements from form to requestAutocomplete UI component
    • bug 1020607 – Populate pending elements with values given by requestAutocomplete UI
  • Next week
    • PTO from June 26 through July 3

WesJ

<Read Only>

  • bug 901803 – Integrate chromecast support into Firefox. All R+! Will land disabled until releng has the bits we need on build machines.

  • bug 1018468 – Provide fullscreen button for video. Finally landed :)
  • bug 1004715 – Home screen widgets. Picking up Jdover’s WIP. Looking at also putting this on the lock screen (for a guest mode).
  • bug 1014712 – use msapplication-TileImage and msapplication-TileColor to create home page tiles. Back and forth with rnewman on this, but getting there.
  • bug 1004495 – Tapping on a download notification doesn’t do anything (if Firefox is in the background). Revamping Notifications.jsm api a bit. Need a new patch.
  • bug 1001309 – Provide a way to clear history when Fennec’s put into the background. Updated. Waiting for reviews.

LucasR

Last week

Next week

liuche

<Read Only>

Margaret

<Read Only>

  • Landed three-dot menu in tabs panel with new “Close all” item (also telemetry) – bug 817716, bug 1023331, bug 1018432

  • Landed “Recent Tabs” panel – bug 1004850, bug 1026715
  • Search activity – discussions with eedens, got the project building locally, reviewing code
  • Google I/O today/tomorrow
  • PTO June 30 – July 11 (back to work July 14)

eedens

<Read Only>

Past

  • Brought GeckoView into search activity

  • Landing 881091 — article content replacing author’s name in reading view

Current

  • Content provider for search history 1017078

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • bug 1028337 – ClassCastException when closing all private tabs

Present

  • bug 998000 – Create BrowserApp.cancelEditingMode for consistency with BrowserApp.enter/commitEditingMode

  • [meta] bug 979921 – Android 2.3 test failures
    • bug 948591 – Intermittent testClearPrivateData | Exception caught – junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Text string: ‘^Settings$’ is not found!

    • bug 979552 – Frequent Android 2.3 testAddSearchEngine, testBookmarkFolders, testImportFromAndroid, testSettingsMenuItems, testTitleBar | Automation Error: Missing end of test marker (process crashed?)
    • bug 979600 / bug 946957 – Android 2.3 testSessionOOMRestore | Page title is correct – got page3, expected page4
  • bug 1021356 – Refine visuals in empty private tabs screen
  • bug 1024778 – Do not use onFinishInflate in RemoteTabs*Panel
  • bug 1025546 – Support various image views in Hub panels

Future

  • Too busy with other things:

    • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

    • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
  • bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests

RNewman

<Read Only>

This week

Next week

  • Testing the next batch of locales.

  • More distrodistro work.
  • Reviewing CloudSync again.

nalexander

<Read Only>

  • We now have no code in the org.mozilla.fennec* Java package. Everything is in org.mozilla.gecko. Existing Intent handlers should remain. (bug 929865)

    • Please be on the lookout for funky Fennec Intent handling, especially around webapps and homescreen bookmarks.
  • Lots of Eclipse improvements — see my blog: http://www.ncalexander.net/blog/2014/06/24/better-fennec-builds-with-an-eclipse-plugin/
  • Actively working on Search Activity (now with Geckoview!) landing
    • Geckoview pre-req requires building differently than initial patches
  • garvank is close to landing the Stumbler \o/

BLassey

  • chromecast tab streaming

MFinkle

<Read Only>

  • UI Telemetry

  • Q3 Goals

Ian Barlow

<Read Only>

  • Watching I/O Keynote

  • Detailing out Search UX
  • Gathering notes from Launcher / Lock Screen user studies

Anthony Lam

<Read Only>

  • Working Seach UX spec sheet

  • Contextual Hints bugs
  • UX designer interviews
  • Icon work
  • Toolbar refinements with Lucas
  • Research: first run, launchers

Yuan Wang

<Read Only>

Security/MGoodwin

<Read Only>

  • Looked at the packaged distributions thing with rnewman / mfinkle

  • Still here – ping me if you need anything

WebRT

Et Cetera…

  • bug 1022607 JavaScript Error: “TypeError: request.response is null” when downloading webapp in Fennec – uplifted to Aurora

  • bug 1016576 sideloaded app dies on launch with ThreadUtils.assertOnThreadComparison from Distribution.doInit – fixed by bug 1013684
  • bug 1007112 crash in android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: No Activity found to handle Intent { act=android.intent.action.GET_CONTENT } at android.app.Instrumentation.checkStartActivityResult(Instrumentation.java) – fixed
  • bug 974578 ‘java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Receiver not registered’ after installing a webapp – fixed
  • bug 1024177 Web Runtime Apps Day presentation – fixed
  • bug 960584 notify user of download progress indication when fetching APK – blocked by bug 1029691
  • bug 1024724 Can’t install app if Fennec is in Italian – blocked on building multi-locale Fennec
  • bug 1021395 Web app machinery dumps lots of semi-sensitive data to logcat – in progress
  • bug 1026263 Error writing default prefs during packaged web app installation – under investigation
  • bug 1029691 Manifest not being checked on APK installation – new
  • bug 1029033 ‘pick’ webactivity action doesn’t return file content – new

Garvan

QA

Feature Focus

Updated Note! If you have existing Meta bugs for any of the below, please send them to me by EOD on Friday. Otherwise, I’ll be making one for you :-D

Firefox 31 (Beta) – Release: Jul 22, 2014

Firefox 32 (Aurora) – Release: Sep 2, 2014

Firefox 33 (Nightly) – Release: Oct 14, 2014

  • [ON TRACK] Videocasting (Roku, Firefly, Chromecast), Epic/Meta bug 921924

  • [PROPOSED] Search activity v1
  • [PROPOSED] Tab mirroring (Roku)
  • [PROPOSED] Form auto-fill improvements
  • [PROPOSED] Create “Add-ons” page in settings
  • [PROPOSED] Preferred web content language
  • [PROPOSED] OEM distro service
  • [PROPOSED] Create a “Want to make me your default browser?” prompt for users somewhere
  • [PROPOSED] Suggested sites v2(Distribution support & non-Mozilla suggested sites)
  • [PROPOSED] Reorder Home Panels in Settings Via Drag and Drop
  • [PROPOSED] First-run tips
  • [PROPOSED] Tabs updates and improvements
  • [PROPOSED] Moz Stumbler

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-06-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)

  • FF31 Beta 4 desktop shipped yesterday

  • FF31 Beta 4 mobile should ship today
  • We didn’t ship a Beta 3 last week because of infra failures which delayed QA
  • FF30 Post-Mortem happened yesterday
    • Throttling experiments were successful: 25% for 24 hours got ‘soak’ pop faster, 100% updates on Tues (instead of Friday) was also uneventful and we got the feedback needed to feel safe doing it on Tues

Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Uplifts

Beta (31)
  • Crash (java.lang.NullPointerException) in GeckoPreferences on swiping away the Sync activity (Bug 1020412)
Aurora (32)
  • Blacklist Top Sites suggestions that have been “removed” by user (Bug 1010266)

  • Video overlay cut off after panning (Bug 1017427)
  • String bundles from .properties files don’t reflect locale changes until browser restart (Bug 1020502)
  • Regression: Removing Item from Reading List by tapping banner icon fails (Bug 1022238)
  • Empty state image cut off (Bug 1023914)
  • Weird tiling behavior when scrolling on video thumbnails (Bug 1025562)

Landings

Nightly (33)
  • Add ability to close all tabs (Bug 817716)

  • crash in gfxContext::gfxContext(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*) (Bug 952721)
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.toolbar.ToolbarDisplayLayout.updateFromTab(ToolbarDisplayLayout.java) (Bug 964861)
  • List recently closed tabs in the UI (Bug 1004850)
  • Video controls are displayed in the middle of the video (Bug 1005031)
  • Some locale names not displayable in locale picker with default fonts (Bug 1023451)

UX (Ian)

<Read Only>

Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)

  • Outbound

    • Hacks posts on the Web Audio editor and WebIDE made #1 on hacker news over the last week
  • Landings
    • Web Audio editor improvements:

      • Bug 980506 – Implement AudioNode destruction events for WebAudioActor

      • Bug 1026766 – Support Media/WebRTC AudioNodes
      • Bug 994263 – Removing GC’d nodes in the Web Audio Editor frontend
    • Bug 1026811 – Upgrade to CodeMirror 4.2
    • 35 bugs resolved.

Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)

Desktop

  • We branched the usual Snippet survey to gauge sentiment with one of the following questions:

    • Very Unhappy … very happy (What we normally use)

    • One star … five stars
    • The classic Net Promoter score question (on a scale of 0-10, would you recommend …)
    • A slightly modified Net Promoter score question (on a scale of 0-10, would you choose to use Firefox the next time…)

Because we need more data for each question, we’ll be running the survey for a little longer than usual. Data next week.

  • Less than an hour ago, we launched a survey on the Account post-signup page to understand why people are using accounts. Data coming in 2 weeks.

Mobile

  • Rob Rayborn of User Advocacy found on input.mozilla.org a missing menu bug on Samsung tablets with hardware menu buttons & Aaron Train of QA reproduced it: bug 1030113

Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)

Worth a Read

  • Google IO is this week, and starts on Wed Jun 25th. Many keynotes are streamed. Will be worth the watch, and the schedule is here.

  • Amazon finally launched its Fire phone, bolstering its connected device portfolio. It’s an AT&T exclusive, is about the same price as an iPhone, and has a one-click buy button. Not expected to sell large volumes, but continues to round out Amazon’s HW offerings, and Bezos talked about why they did it. They’re also offering incentives to developers for apps that take advantage of the Fire phone’s differentiating hardware and software.

Notes

  • Nokia/MS is launching an upgrade in its X line, including a $130 X2 which includes a larger screen, double the RAM, a 1.2Ghz dual core CPU, and Dual SIM capability, and even adds a capacitive home button.

  • Starting to see changes in Chromium that will likely be announced this week, including new UX elements in Chrome in line with Google’s Quantum Paper unified design initiative, some of which can already be seen in things like Google’s Web Starter Kit.
  • Yahoo! releases its Aviate home screen replacement app
  • Google Play revenue continues to grow, starts to shed stigma of having apps that people won’t pay for (although the Freemium model is driving revgen). Gaming is the big rev driver in the space
  • Nest acquires Dropcam, strengthening Google’s position (while still keeping an arm’s length on Nest) in connected home devices. Expect more of this.

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

24-June-2014

SeaMonkey: 2014-06-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> TBD

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • None

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)
We should assign people to the open items.

NEW
OPEN

  • http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ has not been updated since November 2012, the last version listed is 2.14 (bug 956561); move blog to blog.mozilla.org if possible Assigned: mcsmurf.

    • Mcsmurf says that it looks like we might be getting a blog on blog.mozilla.com.

    • KaiRo will do some DNS magic to get it mirrored at blog.seamonkey-project.org
    • bug 973886 for creating the blog account
  • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager
    • mcsmurf will look into this

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • bug 800200 rm JSD. Once this is gone we should stop building and shipping Venkman.

  • Callek has been working on migrating our Linux builders to CentOS 6 bug 795354. Puppetmaster has been updated. Ewong is able to login to these hosts and buildbot is installed. We still need to get everything setup for parity and do some slight tweaks to the puppet config, but we’re pretty close to useable.
    • 2.26.1 has been released instead of 2.27 due to build issues (bug 1018509)
  • bug 983536 libpango version >= 1.22.0 required on Linux.
  • bug 977676 SeaMonkey’s puppet broken due to requirement of ffxbld ldap password.
  • Python has been updated on all buildboxen!
  • We are perma-orange on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta due to problems with tests
    • Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.

    • bug 908090 ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5. We do have python 2.7 installed but our build system is picking up python 2.5 instead.
      • ewong’s patch is waiting for review. It was manually patched on the master; but, was reverted and the buildmaster was reconfigured and so the changes are gone. Need to have the patch pushed officially in order for this bug to be fixed.
    • pymake is failing with “invalid syntax” again because of an outdated Python.
    • Priority on fixing this and l10n repacks after 2.24 release.(No ETA yet)
    • bug 943740 is tracking the progress (or lack of one) in building trunk and aurora on Linux & Mac from the downloading user’s POV. (Windows nightlies are still appearing on schedule — or were until a day or two ago.)
  • No langpacks since 29th August on trunk. Needs investigating.
    • Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.

    • In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.
  • Buildmaster is up and running.
    • Callek is hand-approving requests for CLOSED TREE landings at the moment.

    • Due to the master having some mysql issues, Callek has put a halt on the mysql updates, which affects the tbpl. So nothing is showing in tbpl atm.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer has completed the coding. The decision to merge c-c into m-c has been kicked down the road into the next quarter or two.

Fixed Stuff Since Last Meeting

  • Some build problems were fixed

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey 2.26.1 was released June 16.

  • SeaMonkey 2.27 was skipped.
  • Callek plans to have at least one 2.28 beta as soon as we get the Linux builders up. But no ETA yet.
    • SeaMonkey 2.28 beta 1 has not been scheduled yet.
  • Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

  • Featured Addon: Mouse Gestures Suite for Seamonkey.

    • Mouse Gestures Suite is based on Firefox extension All-in-One Gestures and has been modified to work specifically with Seamonkey. The feature set is similar but many bug fixes have been made as well as some modifications to make it run on Seamonkey without problems.
  • Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey
  • This tool goes a little further beyond simply modifying install.rdf – it also identifies a few more other things in the code that are Firefox or Thunderbird specific and attempts to change them. Of course, not all extensions can be ported so easily to SeaMonkey since there’s only so much an automated tool like that can do.

    Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey: http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/

    • There is a long list of Firefox and Thunderbird extensions that have been successfully converted in the Mozillazine thread[1]. Can someone go through the thread and add the list of successful conversions to SeaMonkey/AddonCompat.
  • See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
  • Addon Compatibility Listings
  • Ratty filed bug 957149 to push an updated version of DOMi to addons.mozilla.org to pick up the latest fixes. Depends on:
  • Our build team needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. bug 763506
  • Lightning and addons.mozilla.org:
    • Release notes have been updated to tell users how they can find the current Lightning version for SeaMonkey, see bug 984884.

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.26

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (30)

2.Next

  • Stalled. Needs a kick.

    • bug 937809 Add DuckDuckGo to the default search engines list.

    • bug 815954 Click-to-Play: Port bug 812562 (click-to-play blocklisted plugins: reshow urlbar notification as with normal click-to-play).
    • bug 476108 GetShortPathNameW fails under some NTFS junctions [patchlove].
  • Fixed since the last meeting:
  • Current breakages:
    • bug 1027241 Import nsICMS* from Gecko to Thunderbird to fix bustage caused by their removal from Gecko

    • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager needs an owner
    • bug 995737 adapt seamonkey for the ab remote content policy change; use permission manager instead of address book property.
    • notifications/doorhangers not showing: bug 1019583 offline apps, quietly accepting requests (partially fixed)
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • bug 910192 Get rid of intl.charset.default as a localizable pref and deduce the fallback from the locale. Tracked in:
      • bug 934492 Adjust the languages preference pane to take into account bug 910192 which removes intl.charset.default and deduces the fallback from the locale.

      • pref-character_encoding.xul is affected. In MailNews folderProps.xul and am-server.xul are also affected. In Thunderbird fonts.xul is broken (bug 1003716 . In Editor/UI EditorSaveAsCharset.xul is affected.
    • Our front end Sync UI needs to be updated as the old backend is going away in Gecko/Firefox 31. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly. Tracked in:
      • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager.

      • bug 1003434 Add support for about:sync-progress.
    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
    • bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
      • bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
    • bug 627699 Port GTK2 to GTK3. Tracked in:
      • bug 882036 Port GTK2 to GTK3 – SeaMonkey Part.

      • A Red Hat person seems to be working on the GTK3 integration.
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Bugs: Low Hanging Fruit

Not necessarily Good First Bugs but minor fixes that shouldn’t need advanced coding skills.

  • bug 1016577Update about:rights content for Geolocation service similar to Toolkit bug 514817.

    • not really a good candidate, depends on bug 994093 which is stalled by bug 903439 (missing API key).
  • bug 734883Port |bug 294260Safe Mode: Auto detect previous start-up failure and offer to start in safe mode| to SeaMonkey.
  • bug 1016759SeaMonkey 2.26 session restore not fully working.
  • bug 1016771email account configuration has misleading description which can lead to loss of emails.
  • bug 1019833Help text needed for the searchbar added in bug 410613(Open Search).

Good student projects:

Needs investigation/confirmation/QA wanted?

  • bug 1016699The ‘Automatically place a copy in:’ box becomes unchecked without my doing anything.

  • bug 1016921Multiple smtp accounts require new authorisation.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 15 new, 9 fixed, 12 triaged.

  • Low triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
31 review
6 super-review
4 ui-review
4 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.

  • TODO: We will need to update our Sync UI code due to the new Sync API. Also we need to check if we are allowed to create FX accounts from our UI Since the new Sync accounts are FX accounts.[IanN] I’m sure I saw a question about FX accounts and branding.

Modern Theme rework (Patrick Dempsey)

Patrick Dempsey in concentrating on paid work at the moment.

Attachment Reminders (Suyash Agarwal)

Suyash is currently working on his GSoC student project. He should be back on this bug in August.
Reference: bug 984016 Attachment Reminder: Help prevent forgetting inclusion of attachments (Port TB bug 244455)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

ewong

  • Fixed:

    • bug 928632 – When the birth year is empty, SeaMonkey puts 1900 and in English language

    • bug 992561 – Typo in viewCertificate.label in suite/locales/en-US/chrome/browser/navigator.dtd
    • bug 1022702 – Slightly clean up ICU setup for windows debug builds (Port m-c changeset d959285c827e )
  • To be Checked-in:
  • Review:

    • bug 840427 – Migrate SeaMonkey builders to using mock

    • bug 853720 – After bug 827446, SeaMonkey doesn’t know mozcrash.
    • bug 922076 – Switch tests to using moz.build and manifests
    • bug 949884 – disable pulseaudio in SeaMonkey
    • bug 956007 – Remove front end for removed x-user-def font preferences
    • bug 1021370 – Bug 1016622 changed the name of seer to Predictor. browser-prefs.js needs to be changed.
  • Working On:

    • bug 110904 – attach signature fails silently on bad paths

    • bug 507676 – Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 837649 – [Tracking Bug] Stop OSX 10.5 support for SeaMonkey project
    • bug 837650 – Stop support for OSX 10.5 in suite/ tree
    • bug 863747 – Add option to disable Location bar history
    • bug 918474 – Default Search dropdown doesn’t get refreshed after adding new search engine

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
  • Pending check in:
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
  • Working on:
    • bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)

    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

Kevin K

Fixed bug 1019021 Fix packaged builds throwing NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED when trying to run for .. in .. loops on the content window object.

mcsmurf

  • too busy

Neil

Fixed on mozilla-central:

  • bug 1026008 Lightning preferences don’t work on 64-bit Windows builds.

  • bug 1025254 Invalid chrome packages should trigger an error page.

Needs checkin:

  • bug 368608 Fix DOM Inspector after removal of inIFlasher.

  • bug 553757 SMTP Server dialog doesn’t fit after disabling SSL.
  • bug 1016132 Stop mutating the prototype of extApplication.prototype.

Needs checkin and aurora approval:

  • bug 1018256 Fix Save and Change Character Encoding dialog.

Needs checkin and aurora and beta approval:

  • bug 1018263 Selection list properties dialog doesn’t work properly.

Needs checkin and aurora (now beta) approval:

  • bug 1020630 Content permission doorhanger/notification doesn’t work.

Needs checkin and aurora port (string changes):

  • bug 934492 Adjust the preference panes for the removal of the charset data source.

Needs backout:

  • bug 970121 URL bar isn’t decoded in some edge cases.

Waiting for review:

  • bug 825127 about:memory in Modern includes old CSS version.

Still waiting for review:

  • bug 1021615 Customise dialog doesn’t display toolbar style after changing toolbar style preference back to full.

  • bug 1009451 TypeError: tabs[i]._preview is undefined.
  • bug 970993 Aero Peek rendering issues.

Ratty

Fixed:

Working on:

  • bug 973530 Add UI to access the remote debugger preferences.

  • bug 1019383 Implement search-engine discovery notification.
  • bug 1023277 Dropdown for mail view selector: “All” an “Unread” without text instead of highlighted with IWN7-Basic and Aero Themes.

Other stuff:

  • Did some reviews.

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

rsx11m

Fixed on all channels (including 2.26.1 release branch):

  • bug 1019583 Part 1: Enable notifications by default again for using offline storage.

Waiting for check-in:

  • bug 1019986 Clarify “Don’t Show” label in Desktop Notification bar and doorhanger.

Waiting for reviews:

  • bug 1009233 Help on mail account settings for authentication method needs updating.

  • bug 1019583 Part 2: Update Offline Web Applications preference pane.
  • bug 1025569 Notifications for requests from Offline Web Applications offer beyond-session options in Private Browsing mode.
  • bug 998787 Rename options in Geolocation doorhanger notification to disambiguate “Don’t Share” vs. “Not Now”.

Still waiting for ui-review:

  • bug 994093 Provide toggle for Geolocation service (geo.enabled) in Privacy & Security preference pane.

Filed:

  • bug 1024832 Permission to use offline storage based on offline-apps.allow_by_default shouldn’t set “Allow” permissions.

  • bug 1027944 When disk cache is disabled, about:cache repeats “memory” entries for “disk” category. (Core)

Other:

  • Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.

  • End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.

Any other business?

Discuss:

  • [Ratty] KaiRo reminded us that we need to grow our contributor community. Perhaps we can get some Engagement experts from Mozilla to give us some suggestions?

    • [IanN] might have a chat with some people and see if they can point me in the right direction.

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2014-06-24

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

Next Merge: July 21, 2014 Next Release: July 22, 2014
Trains
Central: 33 Aurora: 32 Beta: 31 Release: 30
  • Desktop beta3 build didn’t ship because of a Windows PGO build timeout

  • Desktop beta4 will be live today
  • Mobile beta4 will be live tomorrow

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 9.67 (Previous Week: 7.36).

  • 25 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.
    • Thanks to JW Wang for continuing to plug away at various media oranges, including some very longstanding ones.

MemShrink (njn)

  • Andrew McCreight LSan for Mochitests on TBPL. LSan is a tool that can find leaks in C++ code, and it’s already found lots — see the blocking bugs in the tracking bug. Great stuff! Please help with fixing the existing leaks whose reporting has been suppressed in order to get this landed.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • current numbers still do not look good, except Android release.

  • Still looking for older Intel integrated graphics machine to reproduce bug 988549 which continues to be high on 31 beta.
  • OMTC on Windows still too unstable, needs deactivation (sorry).
  • Android beta: bug 827264 (NSS shutdown) – needs nsSocketTransportService dev
  • Android Nightly: bug 1028802 (mozilla::gfx::AlphaBoxBlur::Blur) – needs dev
  • Desktop Nightly: bug 1028902 (js::GetLengthProperty), bug 1028904 (js::StringObject::setStringThis), probably connected, need dev

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

App Tools (prouget)

<Read Only>

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

  • bug 988133 – view-source no longer crashes

  • bug 989501 – Popup windows now open new window, not new tab
  • bug 990729 – Add-on compartments for addon XUL code and components/modules

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

  • Search efforts:

    • We’ll be launching an experiment on beta to measure effect of changing default search provider in the next two weeks

    • We’re tackling the first part of a broader effort to address search hijacking: bug 1029148
  • Translation trial update: launching trial in German Aurora 32 builds in the near future

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings

Nightly (33)
  • Add ability to close all tabs (Bug 817716)

  • crash in gfxContext::gfxContext(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*) (Bug 952721)
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.toolbar.ToolbarDisplayLayout.updateFromTab(ToolbarDisplayLayout.java) (Bug 964861)
  • List recently closed tabs in the UI (Bug 1004850)
  • Video controls are displayed in the middle of the video (Bug 1005031)
  • Some locale names not displayable in locale picker with default fonts (Bug 1023451)

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • bug 1026475 – Device switch from Handset/Headset to BT SCO fails during call (1.4+, landed)

    • bug 1005848 – WebBluetooth API implementation
      • Discussed with Jonas/Ben about the API design since they were visiting Taipei office last week)
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • Issues solving and analysis

      • bug 1017438 – A short period of sound at the end of a song would be cut off too early (1.4+, patch for 1.4 is ready)

      • bug 1000522 – [B2G]Video cannot be played more than 3-5 times in the row, gets stuck and requires app restart (2.0+, POVB now)
      • bug 1017421 – Preview of custom ringtones cannot be stopped. (2.0+, found the root cause)
    • Partner training this Friday(6/27, Bruce Sun)
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen)

    • bug 855952 – DeviceStorage API: File append (landed)

    • Had a MTP kickoff meeting with Hema’s team. Alphan will work with Dave Hylands and David Flanagan to make MTP enabled by FxOS 2.1.
    • Partner training this Friday(6/27, Alphan Chen)

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • bug 1010252 – [Wi-Fi] Problems re-connecting to a known Wi-Fi network.

  • bug 1027478 – Modify telephony API from dialEmergency(number, serviceId) to dialEmergency.
  • bug 1024747 – CDMA MO MMS still not working as phone number is not correctly retrieved from iccInfo.
  • bug 1023141 – ril.ecclist is an empty string after boot-up.
  • bug 1021006 – [RTSP][2.0] Browser pops up a network warning message in the end of video RTSP streaming.
  • bug 1003711 – [RTSP] Build Darwin Streaming Server on B2G emulator.
  • bug 1020212 – Wifi can’t access keystore in gecko on Flame.
  • bug 1028044 – WPA-EAP TTLS-MSCHAPv2 Compatibility issue.
  • bug 1022460 – Enable wifi tethering on emulator.
  • bug 1008797 – Test case for bug 993598.
  • bug 1011358 – In the Mountain View QA lab, master on Hamachi/Flame often fails to find the “ateam” SSID.
  • bug 1028037 – NFC testcase failure with error message “Accessing TypedArray data over Xrays is slow
  • bug 1017485 – [Follow up of Bug 984207] Define timing to enable/disable P2p mode
  • bug 933588 – B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++
  • bug 813893 – B2G RIL: support UMTS CBS Message
  • bug 843452 – B2G RIL: use ipdl as IPC in MozMobileConnection
  • bug 1010356 – Network location provider should try to send neighboring cell data
  • bug 1027430 – Add EF_SPN to Navigator.mozMobileConnections and ensure it’s accessible from a non-certified app
  • bug 859764 – WebSMS: move to MozMobileMessage WebIDL
  • Provide WebNFC API v2 draft proposal

GFX (milan)

  • OMTC should be off on Aurora; we got a lot of data about some (uncommon to us) hardware that shows issues with OMTC on which we wouldn’t have any other way. Thanks for putting up with the slightly sad state of affairs during this time.

  • In the meantime, WebGL with OMTC should be back on par performance – bug 1000640
  • Summer PTOs have started.

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Compiler (JIT)

    • bug 998392: Latin1 string work now passing jit-tests and jstests in the shell

    • bug 1028867: Add a shell flag to enable Latin1 strings, so that we can start fuzzing and use it for jit-tests on tbpl.
    • Finished native=>bytecode mapping code. Up for review.

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Hoping to move most of the b2g media tests to iX slaves very soon

  • Resolving bitrot so we can land bug 848954 (run MediaStreamGraph off the pulls from the output device)
  • Lots of work ongoing on MSE/etc
  • Identified total evilness in Apple audio hardware (mic sitting on top of left speaker in MBPros, horrid crosstalk on Apple analog headset jacks)
    • We’ll have to do the ugly trick used by others on MBPros of sending all audio to the right speaker in this mode
  • Narrowing down a Mac-specific (OS-cause) long-delayed echo (0.5-1+ seconds) when using headsets, especially if you switch audio devices while in-use
  • video quality regressions when the Load Manager cuts resolution (bug 1027100 – almost isolated

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • HTTP draft 13 is working and interoperating with servers

    • a few more things to fix, then hopefully turn on in nightly next week

    • this may be the final version of HTTP/2! aka “we think we fixed the last spec bug” :)
  • landed bug 677754 – remove redirect prompts in necko
  • landed bug 1020539 – about:networking privacy leak
  • shaking down TLS tunneling through HTTP proxies

Seceng (grobinson)

<Read Only>

  • bug 1027133: enabled pinning in test-mode for all subdomains of twitter.com (this is broader than Chrome’s pinset for twitter)

WebAPI (overholt)

  • No update this week.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributor zhoubcfan! Here are some highlights:

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

gavin: cpeterson_: I just added a desktop update
cpeterson_: gavin: \o/

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-06-2411:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

23-June-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-06-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

  • Congratulations to Faye Tandog on becoming the new Mozilla Phillipines Community Manager! The Community Building Team is awarding her a Community Building Superstar badge for her contributions.
  • Marketplace Editorial would like to thank the following L10n contributors for their Herculean efforts to localize Apps Blog content in 10 languages for our World Cup campaign; these folks include Wim Benes, Ton Kessen, Sara Todaro, Sandro Della Giustina, Daniel SCott, Elisa Xitlali, Marcelo Araldi, Andre Garzia, Frank Wein, Sebastian Hengst, Michael Kohler, Andras Bognar, Daniel Spindelbauer, Romain Fleury, Aleksandra Uzelac, and Marko Andrejic.

Upcoming Events

Wednesday, 25 June

Thursday, 26 June

  • 10:00 AM Pacific / 17:00 UTC: Grow Mozilla discussion — a forum for discussing community building at Mozilla

  • All day, all time zones: Marketplace Day – All About Apps – An online event for contributors of all types to meet and work on things. Join us on https://etherpad.mozilla.org/marketplace-day and the #Marketplace channel.
  • 5PM UTC / 1PM EST / 10 AM PSTSecurity Open Mic

    • An open meeting to chat anything security related with the Mozilla Security team.

    • Vidyo: SecReview Room // Dial-in Info (phone): – US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 – Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 – Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 – Conference num 95294

Saturday, 28 June

  • The fourth annual IndieWebCamp is this weekend in Portland Oregon as usual, and has expanded this year!
    First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin

Sunday, 29 June

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox OS

Speaker Location: Asa from Mountain View

New wiki at https://wiki.mozilla.org/FirefoxOS/Flame

Webmaker

Speaker Location: OpenMatt in Toronto

How can Mozilla teach the world the web?

  • Mozillians Webmaker town hall last week

  • What’s new?
    • Easier to explore what Webmaker’s about

    • New resources for teaching and learning. From privacy and security to coding, design and accessibility
    • Global events gearing up for Maker Party 2014 (starts July 15)

Grow Mozilla

Speaker Location: San Francisco

Last week I talked about how working in the open is one way all of us can help with the goal to increase active contributors by 10x. I’ve come across an interesting statistic about this and wanted to make some specific asks.

The interesting statistic: In the past six months Mozillians created almost 30,000 Google documents and only 2,709 of them were made public.

The specific asks:

  • Spend a minute imagining how effective you would be if you had access to just 10% of your team’s documents
  • Go through the Google Docs you’ve created and change the sharing settings to Public for anything that’s not sensitive
  • Consider using wiki.mozilla.org instead of Google Docs the next time you need to create a document

Bonus points: Read these two great posts from Amy Tsay and Doug Belshaw about working in the open.

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Boris Zbarsky Distinguished Engineer Technology Advisory Council Remote No None
Denelle Dixon-Thayer Legal and Privacy Response to Moderator questions: Is anyone concerned about confusion and trademark issues with Amazon’s “Fire Phone” and “FireOS”? San Francisco No None
Chris Heilmann Principal Evangelist WebIDE in Firefox Nightly – readwriteapps made real https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/06/webide-lands-in-nightly/ Mountain View No None
Peter Bengtsson Web Developer New Air Mozilla features that affects everybody Mountain View No Slides
Dino Anderson People Team Diversity and Inclusion Strategy SF No Working Draft
Nicolas B. Pierron A Mentor Report of Bugs Squashing Party success Paris No No https://github.com/Thegennok/bug-o-meter

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Jenny Liu Joe Cheng SFO (Recording) Taipei Firefox OS

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Alexandru Tifrea Blake Kaplan San Francisco San Francisco Platform Engineering: DOM

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Automation & Tools

bugzilla.mozilla.org

Notable changes to bugzilla.mozilla.org during the last week:

  • bug 880669 BzAPI support landed on Bugzilla’s production infrastructure

  • bug 956892 Collapsed comments now indicate the reason for auto-collapsing
  • bug 649691 Added a “Mentor” field to bugs. Mentors will be migrated from the whiteboard to this new field soon.

All changes.

Open News

You may have seen press coverage of the announcement of a new partnership between Mozilla’s Open News project and The New York Times and The Washington Post, along with the Knight Foundation. Some relevant links here:

Content Services

We had a super work week in NYC this past week and are still digging out from clearing our inboxes. Will share what we spoke about and presented over the coming week on our Wiki page.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

18-June-2014

Mobile: 2014-06-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2014-07-21

Topics for This Week

Firefox Search
See post on mobile-firefox-dev for latest implementation plan. Currently working on getting the foundation in place to land in m-c.

Feature Videos
Launching a bunch of short videos that show off Firefox for Android features.

Basic UI Telemetry
Finkle made a simple dashboard for some UI Telemetry

Second screen developer event

Tuesday in the SF office at 6pm. I’ll drop more info in #mobile when I have it

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • vivek fixed bug 999211 – Implement cancel editing mode button test on tablet

  • Shashank wrote a patch for bug 1024120 – Avoid allocating a new Rect on each touch event on the main layout
  • ckitching is working to clean up our combined view logic, including migration code – bug 1024289, bug 947018

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

<Read Only>

Alan K. (ack)

  • Last week

    • Refactoring/rewriting cloudsync

    • Finished with bookmarks except for livemarks and queries
      • I’d like to land livemarks/queries as a follow-up patch
  • This week

    • Finish off cloudsync

      • Tabs and follow-up for bookmarks
    • Start on mesh networking project?

JChen

<Read Only>

Fixed

Working on

GCP

  • Past

    • bug 1015932 Create a way to share the OpenSLES engine between cubeb and WebRTC

    • bug 1008706 Google.com PREF cookie keeps coming back even with network disabled and cookies disabled
    • bug 1026538 Cookie Manager can’t delete cookies with appid != 0
    • bug 1024555 blocked gethash requests cause the browser to hang
    • bug 1021419 make update and gethash urls for safebrowsing updates configurable per-table
  • Future
    • Finish OpenSLES sharing

    • bug 1018928 Regression: Selecting “No video” option from the permission prompt still shows the content of the device camera.
    • Android 2.3 tests failing
    • bug 1027100 WebRTC LoadManager resolution reduction under load causing horizontal distortions
    • bug 910893 Allow users to “try again” more than once on new error pages.
  • Interesting
    • bug 1022376 LoadManager assumes that when a thread exits the runnable, the thread exits (thread leak)

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: Implemented standalone WebRTC player and simple desktop add-on that streams the camera to the player. Started cleaning up code to make rebase easier.

  • This Week: Finish rebase. Update add-on to stream tab from fennec.
  • Problems: Mystery crash in MacOS X standalone player. Need to understand why libmozalloc can not be statically linked. Only part of the player not being linked statically.

Eugen Sawin

Last week

Next week

  • Gonzales

    • Landing stuff (async cache, metrics)

    • Set up Graphite for metrics aggregation and visualization
    • Extending metrics logging

Sylvain Cleymans

Last week:

  • Testing in Gonzales (WIP)

  • Bug 1022669 Display does not turn off while playing audio

Next week:

  • Finish to integrate testing in Gonzales

Martin (mmcdonough)

  • Same as last week, working on native codecs in Android.

  • Submitted patch to allow enabling blank fragmented MP4 decoder in Android.
  • Getting AAC decoding working.
  • EDIT: bug 1025327 for patch above.

Brian Nicholson

WesJ

<Read Only>

  • bug 901803 – Integrate chromecast support into Firefox. Going through another (hopefully last) review.

  • bug 974983 – Reorder Home panels in Settings via dragging. Talking to Chenxia about this a bit. Working on a prototype.
  • bug 704229 – Refine touch video controls. Got some nice mockups from UX. Looking into implementation details.

LucasR

<Read Only>
Last week

  • bug 964861 – crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.toolbar.ToolbarDisplayLayout.updateFromTab(ToolbarDisplayLayout.java)

  • bug 1025069 – Both Versions of SUMO (http & https – suggested) can be pinned
  • (In progress) bug 1012462 – Support suggested sites in distribution files
  • Initial conversations about tablet refresh
  • Lots of reviews

Next week

  • In SF next week to attend Google I/O

liuche

<Read Only>

  • Landed “Remove Suggested Sites from Top Sites”

  • Exploring more Contextual Hints architecture (Android layouts…! D:)
  • More telemetry
  • Next: first run, search?

Margaret

<Read Only>

  • Button toast follow-ups – bug 1019318, bug 1019735

  • Allow users to remove dynamic panels from settings – bug 1023544
  • Close all tabs *almost done* – bug 817716
  • Recent tabs panel *almost done* – bug 1004850
  • Search activity discussions
  • Google I/O next week Wed/Thur
  • PTO June 30-July 11

eedens

Continuing work on search activity.

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • bug 918494 – Intermittent testLinkContextMenu | Checking if the link has been added as a bookmark – The link has been bookmarked

  • bug 1002303 – Provide a description on private tabs page if there are no private tabs
  • bug 1007442 – Tune visual for not-signed-in remote tabs tray
  • bug 1025938 – crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.tabspanel.RemoteTabsVerificationPanel.onFinishInflate(RemoteTabsVerificationPanel.java)

Present

  • bug 998000 – Create BrowserApp.cancelEditingMode for consistency with BrowserApp.enter/commitEditingMode

  • [meta] bug 979921 – Android 2.3 test failures
    • bug 948591 – Intermittent testClearPrivateData | Exception caught – junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Text string: ‘^Settings$’ is not found!

    • bug 979600 – Android 2.3 testSessionOOMRestore | Page title is correct – got page3, expected page4
    • bug 979552 – Frequent Android 2.3 testAddSearchEngine, testBookmarkFolders, testImportFromAndroid, testSettingsMenuItems, testTitleBar | Automation Error: Missing end of test marker (process crashed?)

Future

  • Too busy with other things:

    • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

    • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
  • bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests
  • bug 1021751 – Homepage contextual hint

RNewman

<Read Only>

Digging out from under the pile. Focused on reviews and distrodistros.

  • All the reviews: desktop updater hotfix, custom Sync accounts, db optimization stuff, misc.

  • Shaving all the yaks: fixing Robocop and GeckoProfile bugs to try to land bug 1016611 prior to distrodistros.
  • A pile of minor fixes and uplifts.
  • Phone screens.

nalexander

<Read Only>

  • About to land custom Sync server support

  • Remote Tabs in a panel work started
  • Investigated building Fennec in Android Studio/IntelliJ — it doesn’t look very positive, ‘cuz Android Studio appears to not support multiple resource folders.

Next:

  • More Remote Tabs

  • Legacy Sync migration

BLassey

  • bug 1014712 – use msapplication-TileImage and msapplication-TileColor to create home page tiles, waiting for discussion/debate to come to conclusion

  • bug 995407 – backed out shipping wifi and cell tower tracking to release and beta, we’re not ready
  • bug 1006186 – Casting apps should be able to specify supported types themselves, review to finkle

Ian Barlow

  • Running some user studies about Android launcher apps and lock screens

  • Detailing out Search UX

Anthony Lam

  • Contextual hints bugs!

  • Search for Android spec work
  • Little bit of tablet design work
  • Toolbar refinements with Lucas
  • Glyph work
  • Research
    • Launcher apps

    • First run user experience
    • Contextual hints
  • Interviews

Yuan Wang

<Read Only>

  • Interview Mobile candidates

  • Synced up tablet work with Lucas and Anthony
  • Getting feedback on the onboarding strategy draft. More to share on next Tuesday planning mtg.

Security/MGoodwin

<Read Only>

  • Started work on some checklists for security stuff. There’s a start on a Fennec list here. I’d love your feedback.

WebRT

<Read Only> because Myk attending Apps Day

A-Team

<Read Only>

QA

Garvan

  • Stumbler integration into Fennec: stumbler service is now just *.java files (and a Manifest.in)

  • Added some automated testing (stumbler had none), revealed we are collecting up to 10x the data we need
  • This week, fix ^^^^, look at upload scheduling, continue integration, add more tests
  • Or, dougt may be pulling me off to do B2G geolocation bugs (again).
  • https://wiki.mozilla.org/MozStumbler-Firefox-Mobile

Feature Focus

Firefox 31 (Beta) – Release: Jul 22, 2014

Firefox 32 (Aurora) – Release: Sep 2, 2014

Updates to ‘Proposed’ items??

Firefox 33 (Nightly) – Release: Oct 14, 2014

Looking for input on plans here….adds, removes, confirmations?

  • [PROPOSED] Form auto-fill improvements

  • [PROPOSED] Tab mirroring (Roku)
  • [PROPOSED] Firefox Hub: Add new My Panel from Promotional Banner
  • [PROPOSED] Search activity v1
  • [PROPOSED] API: Push notifications
  • [PROPOSED] Create “Add-ons” page in settings
  • [PROPOSED] Preferred web content language
  • [PROPOSED] OEM distro service
  • [PROPOSED] Create a “Want to make me your default browser?” prompt for users somewhere
  • [PROPOSED] Suggested sites v2
  • [PROPOSED] Reorder Home Panels in Settings Via Drag and Drop
  • [PROPOSED] First-run tips
  • [PROPOSED] Gestures

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-06-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)

  • FF30 is now 100% released (we unthrottled earlier)

  • FF31 beta 2 delayed on Desktop (probably due to a network glitch). See 1026738. Mobile is live.
  • FF32 aurora updates are back.

Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Uplifts

Beta (31)
  • Packaged app installation does not trigger `onsuccess` callback (Bug 985614)

  • No way to remove dynamic panel added by home feeds add-on (Bug 1023544)
Aurora (32)
  • No tooltip when long-pressing action bar’s icons (Bug 943908)

  • crash in js::GCMarker::drainMarkStack(js::SliceBudget&) (Bug 1011474)
  • Fix suface stride calculation for 16-bit images (Bug 1023194)
  • Disable undo close tab toast for Fx32 (Bug 1023406)
  • Disable switch-to-new-tab button toast for Fx32 (Bug 1023407)

Landings

Nightly (33)
  • support add-on hot fixes (Bug 1004571)

  • Blacklist Top Sites suggestions that have been “removed” by user (Bug 1010266)
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid selection notification range: 0 to #, length: # at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoEditable.onSelectionChange(GeckoEditable.java) (Bug 1011059)
  • Add a way to distinguish chrome hangs from content ones in BHR (Bug 1013326)
  • Distribution handling is triggered by ActivityChooserModel during initial startup (Bug 1014242)
  • Finish BrowserHealthRecorder initialization after distribution processing (Bug 1014283)
  • Polish button toast appearance (Bug 1019318)
  • First tap in the Marketplace page will open the same page in a new tab (Bug 1019613)
  • Undo close tab super toast blocks access to the address bar (Bug 1019735)
  • String bundles from .properties files don’t reflect locale changes until browser restart (Bug 1020502)
  • Text selection action bar is invoked on long tapping a images in Google Images (Bug 1020995)
  • Record telemetry for browser database operations (Bug 1021922)
  • Regression: Removing Item from Reading List by tapping banner icon fails (Bug 1022238)
  • Empty state image cut off (Bug 1023914)

UX (Ian)

<Read Only>

  • Running some user studies about Android launcher apps and lock screens

  • Detailing out the Search Activity UX (ibarlow, antlam)
  • Some design refinements underway for contextual “tips” (antlam)
  • Design strategy for onboarding experience (yuan)
  • Coordinating with engineering on tablet refresh (yuan)

Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)

<Read Only>

Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)

Desktop

  • New tab broken by add-ons, still working on finding all the responsible ones and blocking but we did block an old version of Ask Toolbar which should help.

  • HP Simple Pass (fingerprint-scanning & password management) broke in 30 and is EoL so no update coming. There’s a company that should be making a replacement add-on that we’re reaching out to.
  • Crashing is up due to third-party things. Work is ongoing to address this.
  • We’ll be keeping an eye out now that we’ve pushed this update out to everyone.

Mobile

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • It looks like approximately 20% of requests for complete updates of 29.0.1 came from users who should have been using partial updates. Filed bug 1025048 to investigate.

  • The l10n dashboard now allows you to select sets of data that you might be interested in. https://blog.mozilla.org/axel/2014/06/17/create-your-own-dashboard/ talks about that.
  • Jeff Beatty and Axel Hecht are working on getting desktop lagging localizations to update on 31 and 32, piggy-backing on adding a bunch of them to Fennec. We also work with communities not being able to update to remove them from the web, and get users updates to supported builds. That’ll affect teams that can’t commit to a milestone at which they want to be caught up. It shouldn’t affect a lot of users, though.

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

17-June-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-06-17

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

Next Merge: July 21, 2014 Next Release: July 22, 2014
Trains
Central: 33 Aurora: 32 Beta: 31 Release: 30

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

  • Unified builds now enabled for B2G device builds bug 950676

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 7.36 (Previous Week: 9.66).

  • #4: bug 1016310 – Intermittent browser_console_optimized_out_vars.js | Test timed out.
  • Tracking down a ~2x regression in B2G reftest runtime between Gecko 30 and Gecko 32 (bug 1025961).
  • 20 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.
    • Thanks to Randell Jesup for fixing various WebRTC crashes and Gijs Kruitbosch for fixing a couple frequent Australis oranges.

MemShrink (njn)

  • Some more big memory usage improvements landed in pdf.js.

  • Jed Davis wrote some patches for profiling the copy-on-write behavior of Nuwa. Unsurprisingly most of the page faults occur when we finish loading JS after forking.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Signatures for OOM crashes are now either “OOM | small” (<256k), “OOM | large | foo” (needs fallible allocation), or “OOM | unknown | foo” (needs OOMAllocationSize annotation). See dev-platform/firefox-dev post from bsmedberg for more details.

  • arewestableyet dashboard now shows more realistic green/yellow/red coding based on experiences of recent release trains.
  • Desktop Beta 31 has bug 988549 (_VEC_memzero | _VEC_memzero, startup) being >9% of all crashes, we will needs GFX team to investigate even though we do not have STR at this time. QA is trying to get as much data as possible out of crash-stats to help, but we will need devs on it.
  • Release suffers from 3rd-party crashes with adware and banking plugins, see recent CrashKill meeting agenda for details on that and other issues causing high crash rates right now.
  • Switch to more reliable ADI infrastructure is coming near, tracked by bug 981663.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • Jon Morton (DOM intern) is picking up the work done last year by Morris Tseng on WebGL in Workers bug 709490

  • Landed patches to feed the HTML parser without going through the main thread for non-HTTP channels (especially relevant to b2g) bug 1024388

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings

Nightly (33)
  • support add-on hot fixes (Bug 1004571)

  • Blacklist Top Sites suggestions that have been “removed” by user (Bug 1010266)
  • crash in js::GCMarker::drainMarkStack(js::SliceBudget&) (Bug 1011474)
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid selection notification range: 0 to #, length: # at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoEditable.onSelectionChange(GeckoEditable.java) (Bug 1011059)
  • Add a way to distinguish chrome hangs from content ones in BHR (Bug 1013326)
  • Distribution handling is triggered by ActivityChooserModel during initial startup (Bug 1014242)
  • Finish BrowserHealthRecorder initialization after distribution processing (Bug 1014283)
  • Polish button toast appearance (Bug 1019318)
  • First tap in the Marketplace page will open the same page in a new tab (Bug 1019613)
  • Undo close tab super toast blocks access to the address bar (Bug 1019735)
  • String bundles from .properties files don’t reflect locale changes until browser restart (Bug 1020502)
  • Text selection action bar is invoked on long tapping a images in Google Images (Bug 1020995)
  • Record telemetry for browser database operations (Bug 1021922)
  • Regression: Removing Item from Reading List by tapping banner icon fails (Bug 1022238)
  • Fix suface stride calculation for 16-bit images (Bug 1023194)
  • Disable undo close tab toast for Fx32 (Bug 1023406)
  • Disable switch-to-new-tab button toast for Fx32 (Bug 1023407)
  • No way to remove dynamic panel added by home feeds add-on (Bug 1023544)
  • Empty state image cut off (Bug 1023914)

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • Ben and Jamin were demo staff at Mobile Asis Expo, Shanghai, from 6/10 to 6/13.

    • bug 1002391 – Can’t share file via NFC – (2.0+, landed)
    • Bluetooth PTS test of Firefox OS 2.0 is about to begin. (bug 1022503 for BlueZ, bug 1022504 for Bluedroid)
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • WIP

      • bug 1017438 – A short period of sound at the end of a song would be cut off too early (1.4+)

      • bug 1000522 – [B2G]Video cannot be played more than 3-5 times in the row, gets stuck and requires app restart (2.0+)
      • bug 941302 – PlatformDecoderModule for FirefoxOS/B2G (2.1 feature)
      • bug 1009410 – Expose graphic Buffer to MediaCodec
      • bug 904177 – Integrate MediaCodec into gecko for media playback (2.1 feature)
        • Audios and videos can be played right now. Polishing.
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen)

    • bug 855952 – DeviceStorage API: File append (r+)

    • Studied MTP spec and Android implementation

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • bug 987040 – Implement mozbrowserSelection

  • bug 918984 – Direct video stream texturing support on WebGL
  • bug 1020261 – [Touch Caret] Enable touch caret sanity test on B2G
  • bug 1011149 – Video freezes when audio track is disabled on remote stream.

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • bug 1010252 – Wifi known network is forgotten while auto-connection failed

  • bug 921326 – Cellbroadcast API: support multiple sim cards
  • bug 1023695 – [B2G][SMS] Introduce sms-deleted event to provide the awareness of change in MobileMessageDB for multiple apps interested in SMS
  • bug 1020212 – Wifi can’t access keystore in gecko on Flame.
  • bug 1020866 – WPA-EAP doesn’t use phase 2 authentication.
  • bug 1023115 – WPA-EAP doesn’t stop retry connection failed network.
  • bug 1017485 – [Follow up of Bug 984207] Define timing to enable/disable P2p mode.
  • bug 997576 – [NFC] Testcase for reading empty NFC tag.
  • bug 843452 – B2G RIL: use ipdl as IPC in MozMobileConnection.
  • bug 1020956 – [RTSP][V2.0] The kernel crash happened if RTSP streaming is interrupted several times by incoming call.
  • bug 1021006 – [RTSP][2.0] Browser pops up a network warning message in the end of video RTSP streaming.
  • bug 1020980 – [RTSP][2.0] E/OMX-VDEC-1080P( 300): Error: Insufficient size allocated for extra-data.
  • bug 935843 – B2G RIL: Parse EF_IMG from SIM.
  • bug 1010356 – Network location provider should try to send neighboring cell data.
  • bug 1017950 – [Flatfish][Wifi] Not able to scan and connect to wifi.
  • bug 1020305 – Wi-Fi usage shows wrong graphic.
  • bug 1023029 – [Network Information API] Add type ‘unknown’ in to ‘ConnectionType’ enum.
  • bug 859764 – WebSMS: move to MozMobileMessage WebIDL.
  • bug 1010292 – crash in strstr | update_ctrl_interface.
  • bug 1003775 – B2G NFC: removePeerTarget in Nfc.js doesn’t work for Browser app.
  • bug 963541 – B2G NFC: Have a clear definition with NFCTag.connect and NFCTag.close.

GFX (milan)

  • OMTC on Windows is still enabled on Aurora, and we know there are regressions, especially when it comes to WebGL. There is enough real world benefit (e.g., async video) to make disabling OMTC on Aurora a difficult decision. Stay tuned.

  • With the layout team working on CSSOM-View scroll-behavior 1010538, we’re coordinating with them and UX when it comes to APZ, etc.
  • Low resolution tiling for B2G is on trunk/aurora, we have some correctness regressions, some of them in Fennec.
  • Accelerated (flywheel) scrolling created more checkerboarding opportunities, as the far content is requested sooner.
  • Good conversations about tiling+apz on desktop between graphics and layout teams. No hard dates yet, but things are moving in the right direction.
  • There is this thing that was too slow on Firefox OS 1.4, and is now fast enough, and that’s a big deal and everybody is really excited.

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • Notable Fixes:

    • Fira Sans is now available as a reftest font. Use it.

    • bug 1004377 – Dispatch events for CSS Animations with empty keyframes rules
    • bug 1018862 – Make tests for CSS Transitions (OMTA) confirm the animation is being performed on the compositor
    • bug 1023727 – SVG Shadow DOM fixes
    • bug 1023655 – Remove DOCTYPEs from SVG documents to avoid failed DTD loads
    • bug 1017798 – CSS Shadow DOM fixes
    • bug 940845 – [PERF] Add a blur cache for rectangular blurs
    • bug 1023464 – Add support for the –setpref argument to mach reftest.
    • bug 1021420 – [Flame] Marketplace does not scroll vertically
    • bug 1022624 – Implement support for gradients with ExtendMode::REFLECT in DrawTargetCG
    • bug 63895 – positioned internal table elements not abs pos containing block
    • bug 1007639 – stop shipping .woff fonts as part of the desktop browser product.
    • bug 1007629 – eliminate use of “embedded” fonts in about:preferences.
    • bug 1020143 – prefer tabular numerals for list numbering.
    • bug 1025497 – Stop using gfxImageSurface in Cocoa widget code
    • bug 1025491 – Remove the DumpAsPNG() code in FilterNodeSoftware.cpp
    • bug 1019753 – Use Moz2D DataSourceSurfaces instead of Thebes gfxImageSurfaces
    • bug 1023336 – Avoid jank caused by oversized data wrapping DataSourceSurfaces
    • bug 1015785 – Fix Moz2D’s AlignedArray::Realloc() to not over allocate.
    • bug 1014252 – [PERF] Optimize clearing of textruns via RemoveInFlows.

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • about:webrtc now has buttons to enable internal webrtc.org logging, and to enable AEC input/outout dumps to files.

    • There are prefs to set the destinations, with platform-appropriate defaults (media.webrtc.debug.*)

    • You can now turn on webrtc.org logging (formerly only available via NSPR_LOG_MODULES=webrtc_trace:NNNN) in about:config
    • Identified some-macs-only echo issue with (analog) headsets, where there’s a 1-second non-airpath (non-acoustic) echo coming from somewhere in the OS/system.
  • Load Manager for webrtc is now on by default, and there’s a known regression when it reduces send resolution that causes horizontal artifacts.
  • We expect to move the webrtc and other media tests on b2g emulator to ix hardware slaves (from AWS) to try to rein in performance-induced oranges. We expect this in the next week or so.
  • Lots of work fixing holes and timing issues in the ICE/etc code, both for Loop/field issues and also trying to tamp down all the “ICE failed to connect”/etc oranges especially on B2G emulator (see previous note as well).

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • Ten year old bug finally fixed: Download manager couldn’t detect incomplete downloads (bug 237623)

    • We now fail partial transfers with a new error (NS_ERROR_NET_PARTIAL_TRANSFER): possible we’ve missed some code that needs to handle/ignore it to work as it did before. (we fixed imglib and some other call sites).

Performance (vladan)

  • bug 998863: Aaron Klotz has a prototype of a patch to asynchronously initialize plugins (e.g. Flash) in web pages. This will mitigate 4 out of the top 10 most common sources of long Firefox janks!

  • You can now see the evolution of your Telemetry data across versions/channels with a new view on http://telemetry.mozilla.org. Simply click on “Add Series”. Let us know if you find bugs. Metrics team will work on improving the UX.
  • bug 987728: Roberto Vitillo is working on replacing localstore.rdf with a non-RDF version and moving its I/O off the main thread.
  • bug 1017055, bug 1019101, bug 1019611: We’re looking into pausing GC and CC during UI animations. The first step is to collect Telemetry to determine how much of a benefit we could gain from this.
  • bug 1020663: Avi Halachmi is adding WebGL performance tests to Talos.
  • bug 946567: We’re aware of many Talos regressions from turning OMTC on by default on Windows. Gfx team is working on fixing these

Seceng (tanvi)

  • bug 1004352 Enabled pinning for google in FF 33.

  • bug 1020485 Enabled test mode pinning for accounts.firefox.com

WebAPI (overholt)

<Read Only>

  • Service worker meetup in SF next week.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributor Sushant Dinesh! Here are some highlights:

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

11:01 blassey: cpeterson: link?
11:01 cpeterson: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-06-17
11:05 catlee: cpeterson: just a quick note from releng actually - Unified builds now enabled for B2G device builds (bug 950676)
11:08 jet: cpeterson: just updated Layout section <read only>
11:08 cpeterson: jet: thanks
11:18 vladan: cpeterson: fyi, i'm on the call and will read the update, but my webcam isn't working
11:19 kip: 'grats on 15fps!
11:19 cpeterson: vladan: ok
11:23 dveditz: bye all

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-06-1711:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

16-June-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-06-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

Thank you to rctgamer for updating the “Building a Theme” documentation on MDN–it was sorely needed.

Upcoming Events

Monday, 16 June

Today we released the 4th edition of DevPulse, a monthly glance at stuff happening among and for developers, sourced by many. The goal is to create greater transparency and collaboration around the various efforts at Mozilla to support mobile, web & app developers. Read the latest here!

The bi-weekly Marketplace community meeting is today at 2pm Pacific. Help plan the next Marketplace Day, or just come find out what’s happening in the community and how you can help. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Marketplace/Community/Meetings

Wednesday, 18 June

  • Homebrew Website Club Meetup, 18:30-19:30, now expanded to four locations:

    • Chicago, Minneapolis, Portland, and San Francisco!

    • Description:

      Are you building your own website? Indie reader? Personal publishing web app? Or some other digital magic-cloud proxy?

      If so (or you want to!), come on by and join a gathering of people with like-minded interests. Bring your friends that want to start a personal web site. Exchange information, swap ideas, talk shop, help work on a project…

      Any questions? See the wiki page for details or irc://irc.freenode.net/indiewebcamp.

Thursday, 19 June

  • 5PM UTC / 1PM EST / 10 AM PST – Security Open Mic

    • An open meeting to chat anything security related with the Mozilla Security team.

    • Vidyo: SecReview Room // Dial-in Info (phone): – US/INTL: 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 then extension 92 – Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92 – Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369 – Conference num 95294

Friday, 20 June

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox OS

Speaker Location: Asa Dotzler, Mountain View

  • We’ve got about 500 Mozillians empowered with Flames to date. These are the core Firefox OS teams and those helping get Flames and Firefox OS into amazing shape for our broader community.

  • We’re really excited to have more people testing. The Product/UX/Engineering teams need the kind of feedback that only you can provide. To support that, we’re going to be opening applications to the Flames for Feeback program (Foxtrot) hopefully in the next week or so. We’ve got hundreds of Flames to give away to empower our community, including employees and volunteers.
  • The Flame isn’t sold out. We’re sorting out some issues at the everbuying website but there are more phones to purchase. You did not miss the deadline. Check back in a couple of days.

Grow Mozilla

Speaker Location: San Francisco

Thank you to everyone who joined the Enable communities that have impact Town Hall last week. If you missed it, you can watch the recording on Air Mozilla.

I wanted to follow up with more details about a question we didn’t fully discuss — what does building community look like for each of us?

Here are a couple of things everyone can do that will take you no additional time:

  • Work in the open. We can choose to put something on the public wiki instead of on a private Google Doc or we can post to a public mailing list instead of to a team alias. Choices that promote transparency make it easier for people to participate.
  • Discuss community goals with your team. If your team meetings don’t include discussions of how to design for participation and how to grow a community around your work, add this to the agenda. Being mindful and intentional about community building will help with the goal.

IT

Speaker Location: mjeffries, San Francisco

WorkDay <-> LDAP Integration Update

  • Although Phase 1 started on Friday, there are things still in motion. Some of these changes are noticable – like your EmployeeID being visible in the Phonebook. Before hitting the DefCon5 button, please understand that your EmployeeID is only visible in Phonebook to you and your manager – no one else can see it. Also, these changes do not affect systems in Mozilla China, Japan, and Taiwan. MoCo can see the changes now, MoFo may not see the changes until tonight or tomorrow.

  • There was some confusion regarding titles – you can still create custom titles in Phonebook – it’s just that the formal titles from Workday are now visible in the Phonebook, too.

Thanks to all for your patience as we continue to work on this.

NYC Space Update

Last Friday, EUS completed the build-out of a small Mozilla Space in New York City. The new Space has the following A/V capabilities:

  • A Conference room

  • A small Commons Space

Both areas have Vidyo Capability.
Special thanks to the EUS teams for the quick and effective setup. The NYC team felt very taken care of during the process.

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Amy Tsay Community Manager, AMO & Marketplace Rating Marketplace apps MV No None https://etherpad.mozilla.org/mp-day-test-apps-06262014
Ben Moskowitz Senior Director, Development Strategy MoFo Mobile opportunity London Yes https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/5/55/MobileOpportunity.pdf https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile_Opportunity
Asa Dotzler Firefox OS Flame reference phone update Mountain View No n/a http://mzl.la/Flame

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Luca Della Toffola Felix Klock Mountain View San Francisco Research
Gautam Akiwate Joel Maher Mountain View San Francisco Automation & Tools
Birunthan Mohanathas William Chen Mountain View San Francisco Data and Stability
John Zeller Hal Wine Mountain View San Francisco Release Engineering
Dean Johnson Michael Cooper Mountain View Mountain View Web Development
Roshan Vid William Chen Mountain View San Francisco WebAPI
Victor Andrei Oprea Dan Mosedale Mountain View San Francisco WebRTC/Talkilla Engineering

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

QA

WebQA

Automation & Tools

bugzilla.mozilla.org

Notable changes to bugzilla.mozilla.org during the last week:

  • bug 720832 You can now tell Component Watching to watch components starting with a specified string

All changes.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress