Meeting Notes

19-August-2014

SeaMonkey: 2014-08-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> IanN

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • Adrian Kalla

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)
We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ has not been updated since November 2012, the last version listed is 2.14 (bug 956561); move blog to blog.mozilla.org if possible Assigned: mcsmurf.

    • blog account has been created in bug 973886

    • Callek has imported old blogs from mozillazine
    • some sprucing / branding needs to happen next
  • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager
    • mcsmurf will look into this

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • Buildmaster is up and running.

    • Due to the master having some mysql issues, Callek has put a halt on the mysql updates, which affects the tbpl. So nothing is showing in tbpl atm.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer has completed the coding. The decision to merge c-c into m-c has been kicked down the road into the next quarter or two.
  • [19th August 2014 update]

    • All available linux64 machines are up and running buildbot (CentOS 6.5)

    • Current round of changes have been reviewed and landed.
    • One final round about to be reviewed.
      • The following are ‘old’ info being kept as a reference:

        • Migrating our Linux builders to CentOS 6 bug 795354. Puppetmaster has been updated. Ewong is able to login to these hosts and buildbot is installed. We still need to get everything setup for parity and do some slight tweaks to the puppet config, but we’re pretty close to useable.

        • In Progress: 2.28 beta and final will depend on build system working again for Gecko 31.0
        • bug 983536 libpango version >= 1.22.0 required on Linux.(should be fixed when bug 795354 is fixed).
        • bug 977676 SeaMonkey’s puppet broken due to requirement of ffxbld ldap password.
        • bug 943740 is tracking the progress (or lack of one) in building trunk and aurora on Linux & Mac from the downloading user’s POV.
        • bug 840426 tracks the buildbot-config and buildbotcustom code changes to support Mock on our linux* slaves.
        • bug 853720 tracks the builders not recognizing mozcrash. (Not exactly sure if it’s relevant still, since our builders have been so perma-red for some time; but putting this here just in case.)
    • We are perma-orange on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta due to problems with tests
      • Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.
  • pymake has been discontinued. We need to install the latest Mozilla-build and tooltool on our windows builders (tracked by bug 1023644 )
  • No langpacks since 29th August 2013 on trunk. Needs investigating.
    • Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.

    • In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.

Release Train

  • The plan will to concentrate on delivering 2.29 and potentially a security release for 2.26.

    • Beta based on Gecko 32 will hopefully be tagged tonight.

    • Since this is the first test of the new build code, the process for beta releasing might be a bit rocky to start with.
    • There will be at least two beta releases.
    • The final release will be about a week after the Firefox one, to ensure any major issues have been shaken out.
    • Callek / ewong will post / blog about it soon.
  • Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

  • Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

  • This tool goes a little further beyond simply modifying install.rdf – it also identifies a few more other things in the code that are Firefox or Thunderbird specific and attempts to change them. Of course, not all extensions can be ported so easily to SeaMonkey since there’s only so much an automated tool like that can do.

    Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey: http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/

    • There is a long list of Firefox and Thunderbird extensions that have been successfully converted in the Mozillazine thread[1]. Can someone go through the thread and add the list of successful conversions to SeaMonkey/AddonCompat.
  • InvisibleSmiley has been working with the author of Nostalgy to make it work with recent TB/SM versions. The latest, fully compatible version is only available from his homepage though.
  • See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
  • Addon Compatibility Listings
  • Ratty filed bug 957149 to push an updated version of DOMi to addons.mozilla.org to pick up the latest fixes. Depends on:
  • Our build team needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. bug 763506

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.26

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (30)

2.28

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (16)

2.Next

  • Stalled. Needs a kick.

    • bug 937809 Add DuckDuckGo to the default search engines list.

    • bug 815954 Click-to-Play: Port bug 812562 (click-to-play blocklisted plugins: reshow urlbar notification as with normal click-to-play).
    • bug 476108 GetShortPathNameW fails under some NTFS junctions [patchlove].
  • Current breakages:
    • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager needs an owner

    • bug 995737 adapt seamonkey for the ab remote content policy change; use permission manager instead of address book property.
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Our front end Sync UI needs to be updated as the old backend is going away in Gecko/Firefox 31. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly. Tracked in:

      • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager.

      • bug 1003434 Add support for about:sync-progress.
    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
    • bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
      • bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
      • bug 795354 Migrate SeaMonkey Linux builders to CentOS 6.
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 25 new, 8 fixed, 6 triaged.

  • Low triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
30 review
6 super-review
1 ui-review
5 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.

  • TODO: We will need to update our Sync UI code due to the new Sync API. Also we need to check if we are allowed to create FX accounts from our UI Since the new Sync accounts are FX accounts.[IanN] I’m sure I saw a question about FX accounts and branding.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed for c-c:
  • Fixed for m-c:
    • bug 1047924 When building with ac_add_options –enable-extensions extensions are put expanded into the wrong location in dist/bin

    • bug 1053439 MOZ_APP_COMPONENT_MODULES and MOZ_APP_EXTRA_LIBS are no longer required
  • Fixed for m-i:
  • Pending check in:
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
    • bug 882968 Clean up and move DEFINES and friends to moz.build in comm-central

    • bug 1049800 Package extensions into xpis
    • bug 1051642 Allow for flat chrome format when packaging extensions
    • bug 1052943 Move additions to C*FLAGS into moz.build and do not link against the static RTL
    • bug 1053444 Remove MOZ_APP_COMPONENT_MODULES from comm-central
    • bug 1054526 Move LDFLAGS / WIN32_EXE_LDFLAGS out of Makefiles for c-c
    • bug 1054536 Port *FLAG and related changes to config.mk
    • bug 1054727 TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | check-sync-dirs.py | build file copies are not in sync, port mozconfig.cache and client.mk changes from m-c to c-c
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
  • Working on:
    • bug 1047981 Port |bug 1047924 – When building with ac_add_options –enable-extensions extensions are put expanded into the wrong location in dist/bin| to comm-central

    • bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)
    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

Neil

Needs checkin (waiting for greener tree):

Needs checkin and aurora approval (waiting for greener tree):

Needs beta checkin:

  • bug 934492 Adjust the preference panes for the removal of the charset data source.

Needs beta backout (bug 933462 was backed out on Gecko 30):

Needs mozilla checkin:

  • bug 1053420 Improve new nsTArray rvalue reference methods.

Waiting for review:

  • bug 1051852 Web pages can’t add search engines.

  • bug 1048979 Search engine icons should be limited to 16px.

Waiting for review on fixed patch:

  • bug 1054289 Page does not scroll to anchor set by script.

Still waiting for review:

Any other business?

Discuss:

  • [Ratty] KaiRo reminded us that we need to grow our contributor community. Perhaps we can get some Engagement experts from Mozilla to give us some suggestions?

    • [IanN] might have a chat with some people and see if they can point me in the right direction.

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2014-08-19

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lmandel)

Next Merge: September 1, 2014 Next Release: September 2, 2014
Trains
Central: 34 Aurora: 33 Beta: 32 Release: 31
  • desktop beta8 ships today

  • mobile beta8 ships tomorrow
  • LAST BETA9 goes to build this Thu, Aug 21
  • MERGE DATE CHANGE: Next merge date will be TUE, SEP 2, 2014

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: N/A. Progress is being made on bug 1046162, things will hopefully be back to normal for next week’s meeting).

  • 25 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.
    • Thanks to Peter Moore for fixing a long-running pip install timeout that affected tests on all platforms.

    • Lots of crash and leak fixes this week!

MemShrink (njn)

  • Jon Coppeard landed the first parts of support for compacting GC. It only works for the JS shell, and it’s currently hidden behind the --enable-gccompacting configure flag. Still, progress! The bug for enabling it in the browser is here.

  • Peter Van der Beken fixed a bad leak affecting users who have the “keep until” setting for cookies set to “ask me every time”.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

<Read Only>

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

A*Team (jgriffin)

App Tools (prouget)

<Read Only>

  • WebIDE preffed on, with memory monitor enabled

  • B2G main-process (chrome) is now debuggable
  • Profiler now works with FxOS 2.0, 2.1, and disabled in older version
  • $0 in WebConsole works

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

  • Working on M2 milestone: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis/Roadmap#M2.1_Milestone

    • bug 1030451 – Update spellchecker context menu suggestions for multiprocess

    • bug 1034212 – Enable devtools/webaudioeditor tests for e10s
    • and many other fixes
  • If you’d like to test e10s in Nightly, flip the “browser.tabs.remote.autostart” pref to true and restart Nightly.
    • Warning: e10s is a little rough this week due to some page loading bugs (like HTTP redirect bug 1050869).

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can see the status of the current iteration (34.3) in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 62 bugs over the last week, to close out the 34.2 iteration.

  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

<Read Only>

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings from the past week

Nightly (34)
  • Large text on door-hanger for mixed content blocking on high DPI devices ( Bug 917970 )

  • Autophone – s1s2 – Regression in local “time to throbber stop” on 2014-05-11 ( Bug 1018463 )
  • Remove Cache directory from Android profiles ( Bug 1045886 )
  • testVideoDiscovery.js is going to start perma-failing when Aurora 33 is merged to Beta ( Bug 1046493 )
  • Zoom level changes on some mobile sites on pressing the back button ( Bug 1046631 )
  • Disable downloads and extension installs in guest mode ( Bug 1046941 )
  • Download cancel dialog shows undefinedYes and undefinedNo aa button values ( Bug 1048000 )
  • Search activity displays private browsing searches from browser ( Bug 1048444 )
  • Unable to use gesture typing in search activity ( Bug 1049282 )
  • Long pages have missing tiles and generally messed-up rendering ( Bug 1051592 )
  • Regression: tab counter is empty ( Bug 1052345 )

Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_CONNECTIVITY_GROUP/2014-08-19

GFX (milan)

  • Lots of vacations.

  • Siggraph last week. Nice summary from :nical on dev-tech-gfx. Extremely short summary: VR/AR, next gen GL, other.
  • Firefox OS:
    • Some last minute blockers. The biggest recent graphics bug turned out to be an intermittent, low level network/ipc issue, usually only showing up during multi-day partner testing. Currently looking at a couple of canvas issues, related to the updated version of Skia (back in March.)
  • Desktop:
    • Will try to get to final stage/land desktop tiling the week of September 22nd – probably behind a pref until APZ on desktop is available, to avoid performance issues. The aim is to have it (the tiling) stick in 35, but we may need to test with that pref enabled, to avoid regressions while APZ work is being done.

    • Back on the Skia content work, we were derailed by the Firefox OS blocking bugs.

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Compiler (JIT)

    • bug 1041781: Landed native to bytecode mapping

    • bug 1054340: Landed post-native-to-bytecode-mapping fix to remove MPcOffset instructions
  • Garbage Collection

    • bug 650161: Landed first cut of compacting GC implementation (build with –enable-gccompacting to try it out)

    • bug 995284: Made GC behvaiour deterministic in shell builds
  • Front End and Other

    • bug 1052248: Tweak the goodAllocated heuristics for JS arrays

    • bug 1041688: acquired properties analysis working but has some regressions

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • caret cleanup landed (bug 1048752)

  • CSS transitions now work for style changes that trigger reframes (bug 625289)
  • initial CSS Ruby reflow code landed, but still more work to do on ruby

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Continue to prep OpenH264 and Screensharing for Fx33.

    • Major UI redesign slated for Fx35

    • Window list rescan uplifted to 33
    • Talky.io is experimenting with ScreenSharing in their beta pages
  • Working a 2.0 blocker with QC
  • Firefox Desktop has been giving the Loop team a hand on front-end issues
  • GMP plugin sandboxing has landed

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • landed bug 820391: we’re finally getting DNS time-to-live (TTL) accurately (Windows-only for now).

  • HTTP cache v2: some last bugs before we release: mostly tests but also a few real bugs (bug 1042192, bug 1054425, bug 660749)
  • minor fixups for HTTP2: we’re close to being able to pref it on.

Performance (vladan)

  • bug 1045108: Please review your Telemetry probes and make sure they’re still useful. Also please set the expiry dates for your probes (e.g. “expires_in_version”: “never”, or “35” for Firefox 35) — we’ll be automatically marking unclaimed probes for expiry in Firefox 40.

    • bug 1037494: Also provide email addresses for automatic regression notifications in the “alert_emails” field.

Shumway (tschneidereit)

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting



Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-08-1911:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

18-August-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-08-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

  • Thanks to Potch for always being amazing!

  • Vedad Hadžić has come out of nowhere and redone a bunch of DXR’s CSS and other front-end code.
  • Thanks and props to Naresh Kumar, Vigneshwaran, Mohankumar Duraiswamy, Shashank, Nikil, Jerald, Achyuth KP, Franklin Francis, Subhash & everyone else who participated in the Aaruush Firefox OS app day: http://viswaprasathks.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/aaruush-firefox-os-app-days/

Upcoming Events

Monday, 18 August

  • If you have any time-bound contribution activities for the Mozilla community, please email Jennie at jhalperin@mozilla.com. Your opportunities will be featured in the next issue of about:Mozilla!

Tuesday, 19 August

  • CBT meetup this week in MV

Wednesday, 20 August

Thursday, 21 August

  • 10:00 AM Pacific / 17:00 UTC: Grow Mozilla discussion — a forum for discussing community building at Mozilla

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox

Speaker Location: Toronto (johnath)

  • Go watch last week’s town hall if you missed it

  • Growth team comin’ atcha

Firefox for Android

Speaker Location: remote (mfinkle)

Firefox OS

  • Li Gong in Mountain View

Content Services

  • Darren Herman in New York

  • TILES
    • Town Hall!
  • UP
  • Subscribe to Web

Webmaker

Speaker Location:Brett Gaylor – Remote

  • Maker Party continues to roll out — going well

  • Big step forward with Mobile Appmaker last week
    • One of our goals with Webmaker this year is to add a focus on apps

    • As part of this, released Appmaker for Desktop in beta for Maker party
    • Over the last few weeks we’ve made progress on the next step: app made on a mobile device
    • At a workweek in Portland last week, the team settled on a product strategy for the next couple months
    • They are now sprinting towards the first prototype to be shown in Dhaka, Bangladesh next week
    • Note: brief presentation on this later in the meeting

Mozilla Communities

Speaker Location: Mark Surman Remote

  • Headline: we’re looking for new ways community can contribute to top line goals

    • This year, Mozilla has a goal to ‘enable communities that have impact’

    • https://wiki.mozilla.org/2014#Enable_Communities_that_have_Impact
      • Much of the focus so far has been on growth, and we’re making some progress
    • We need to shift our focus towards quality and impact that contributors can have
    • Over the coming weeks: community building teams are actively looking for new ways community can have an impact on top line goals
    • E.g. are there creative ways that community can help get Firefox on a growth trajectory?
    • Mark (MoFo), Mary Ellen (Engagement), Mitchell (chair) are helping the community teams with this
    • If you have ideas, reach out to David Boswell or one of the exec team working this
    • Expect more reports in coming weeks

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Andrew Sliwinski and Simon Wex WebMaker Mobile Appmaker work week Portland/Remote Yes Slides Import / Export API for Apps [1] // App for Import/Export of Apps via SD Card [2] // Device-to-Device App Transfer via NFC [3]
Andrea Wood Digital Fundraising & Advocacy (mofo) Community Indiegogo Campaigns // Maker Party Snippet My house (Oakland CA) No na Find Indiegogo campaign info here // Click here to preview and try out the Interactive Snippet – and you can read a blog post by the lead designer
Fred Wenzel Apps Engineering a set of framework+tools for writing awesome Firefox OS apps. remote no https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/08/time-to-get-hacking-introducing-rec-room/ no. 1 on HN this morning: [4]. Recroom github repo for readme, issues, etc.
Robyn Chau Events Team BrazilJS 2014 remote yes http://bit.ly/1ldAfds BrazilJS Landing Page Wiki

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Justin Terry Darren Herman New York Office New York Office Content Partnerships, Partner Success & Content Platform Operations

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

DevEngage

You might know that we are using UserVoice to allow people to easily report ideas for the developer tools at http://ffdevtools.uservoice.com. We are now extending this to HTML5 Apps as a whole. This will go live soon, and it would be splendid if anyone of you who found things missing in the “web as the platform” to submit them there in order to pre-seed the channel before we announce it live: https://openwebapps.uservoice.com/forums/258478-open-web-apps

Automation & Tools

bugzilla.mozilla.org

Notable changes to bugzilla.mozilla.org during the last week:

  • bug 1041964 Added an indication that a comment is required when setting some tracking flag values

All changes.

Engagement

Apps & Marketplace

Mobile Partner Site

  • The Mobile Partner site (https://mobilepartners.mozilla.org/) is part of Mozilla’s initiative to scale the delivery of Firefox OS devices. The site is specifically targeted to provide self-serve support to the retail/open Market distribution channels and lower volume operators. The intent is to make everything the partner needs to create a Branded Powered by Firefox OS or Firefox OS Inside device available in a curated, guided site with complete and up to date information regarding our product. In order to distribute a Mozilla branded device, Partners must register on the site, accept the click through Prototype agreement, complete and pass Mozilla’s certification process and sign Branding Terms.

  • With the help of the Mozilla Beijing team we are in the process of translating the site to Chinese. We expect to have Chinese (in addition to English) available online by Sept 1.
  • If you are interested in understanding all the steps that a partner needs to undertake in order to bring a Firefox OS device to market, we invite you to visit the site. Its perfectly ok for you to register on the site and accept the prototype branding agreement so that you can have full access to the site – we just request that you use your Mozilla.com email address if you are on Mozilla staff or clearly identify yourself as a contributor so that our Bus Dev team can determine ‘real’ potential partners. We welcome your input and contribution to making it the best site possible!
  • Also we are planning a brown bag on Sept 4, so please plan to join Adam Rogers, Ben Sternthal and Karen Ward on Airmozilla on that date!

  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

12-August-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-08-12

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

Next Merge: September 1, 2014 Next Release: September 2, 2014
Trains
Central: 34 Aurora: 33 Beta: 32 Release: 31

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (bhearsum)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: N/A (still investigating bug 1046162) (Previous Week: N/A).

  • 21 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.
    • Thanks to Martijn Wargers for fixing up many longstanding test issues that came to light with recent logging changes.

MemShrink (njn)

  • Kyle Huey got leak detection of B2G mochitests turned on, after fixing numerous leaks that it detected along the way.

  • Thanks to Pin and Jocelyn for jumping on some of the reported leaks.
  • This is not exactly MemShrink, but Eric Rahm improved the deadlock detector so it runs much faster and uses vastly less memory, which makes debug builds less painful to use.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Beta crash rate is high due to an adware-related crash that got worsened by trying to fix it (see bug 1038243). Cause seems to be a forgotten bump of IIDs which will be done in bug 1051858.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can find the most recently completed iteration performance report here

  • You can see the status of the current iteration in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 26 bugs over the last week, for the first half of the 34.2 iteration.

  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

Work In Progress

  • Search activity: Enabled in Nightly! Try it out. See blog post for some details.

  • Tablet refresh: Continuing progress on the tab strip implementation (screenshot).
    • bug 1046200 – Create BrowserApp.isNewTablet()

    • bug 1047561 – Create settings UI for enabling the new tablet UI
    • bug 1048575 – Disable dynamic toolbar when in new tablet UI
  • Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
    • Janus Proxy – Cache improvements

    • UI improvements/fixes to addon

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Nightly (34)
  • Allow users to “try again” more than once on new error pages. ( Bug 910893 )

  • YouTube HTML5 player does not offer full-screen toggle for embedded YouTube video for Firefox for Android ( Bug 947841 )
  • When backspacing the last character of the current page in Firefox for Android’s URL bar, it frequently reappears (highlighted, due to autosuggest) and needs to be backspaced again ( Bug 984057 )
  • Pasting into url bar does not bring up search screen ( Bug 1039766 )
  • Up scaled and low resolution icons on bookmarks panel, history panel and recent tabs panel ( Bug 1046579 )
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Property does not exist at org.mozilla.gecko.util.NativeJSObject.getString(Native Method) ( Bug 1046880 )
  • Add ability to stop mirroring a tab ( Bug 1046971 )
  • Take advantage of nsIURIFixup improvements for faster location bar searches ( Bug 1047607 )
  • Only reset search activity when launched from new intent ( Bug 1048022 )
  • Make all empty view images 90x90dp ( Bug 1048941 )
  • Searching for something in search activity it will open a new about:blank page in stead of search results ( Bug 1049650 )

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Gonk team (led by Thomas Tsai)

    • On-site support: Kai-Zen Li @ India (7/28 ~ 8/8)

    • Tarako: Solving gating issues which were reported by Spice/Intex
    • Dolphin: SPRD PTR2 and perf issues
    • Woodduck: github code sync and function ready lists
    • Flame: KK + v1.4/v2.0 porting
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • bug 941302 – PlatformDecoderModule for Firefox OS – landed (2.1 feat+)

    • bug 1009410 – Expose graphic buffer to MediaCodec – waiting for CAF’s response (2.1 feat+)
    • bug 1033902 – Integrate AudioOffloadPlayer with MediaCodecReader and MediaCodecDecoder – reviewing (2.1 feat+)
    • bug 1033337 – [dolphin] It took about 1.8-2.2s for music to start play (It was 1.4+, now 1.4-)
    • bug 1049325 – Last frame is dropped with PlatformDecoderModule enabled – WIP (2.1 feat+)
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen)

    • bug 1043264 – [MTP] Find out the needed MTP API (2.1 feat+)

    • bug 1050720 – “storage-state-change” event will be triggered twice (should be 2.1 feat+)

Firefox OS Media (slee)

<Read Only>

  • ImageCaputre API implementation

    • WIP
  • Support recording media stream from OfflineAudioContext
    • WIP
  • Intermittent media test cases fixing
    • in progress
  • [blocker]Video playback doesn’t start and buffering icon is seen forever
    • analyzing
  • async codec threading part
    • reviewing

Firefox OS RIL (htsai)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_RIL_team/2014-08-12

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Intern Work Completed

    • Implemented ES6 template strings – bug 1021368, bug 1024748, bug 1031397, bug 1034314, bug 1038259, bug 1038498

    • Implemented ES6 String.raw and ToLength (self-hosted) – bug 1039774 and bug 1040196
    • Implemented ES6 computed property names – bug 924688
  • Garbage Collection

    • bug 650161: Compacting GC

      • currently it supports moving JSObjects only

      • most tests pass now but there are still some bugs to iron out
      • posted initial set of patches for review
    • bug 1035395: Fixed all b2g rooting hazards, updated expected count to zero
  • Front End and Other

    • SharedArrayBuffer: cleaned up lock/futex POC code and spec somewhat

    • bug 1047220: Shrink the static atoms table

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>
Some bugs of note:

  • bug 996796 Lots of style infrastructure for better animations and transitions

  • bug 1018278 Blacklist some Intel graphics drivers
  • bug 927892 Working on HTML5 Canvas filters

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Windowsharing now refreshes the window list on each request – bug 1041369 – thanks to new contributor Roman Skalish

    • On windows, it offers to share some uninteresting windows at times, like the sharing indicator or the Windows menu
  • GMP OpenH264 Mode 0 supported – bug 1051566 – thanks to new contributor Mo Zanaty for providing fixes for the underlying webrtc.org code
  • Windows OpenH264 IPC crash resolved (bug 1044245)
  • Aurora/33 updated with all important Screensharing and OpenH264 fixes

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • HTTP/2 on nightly wouldn’t work with Twitter for a little while–mostly their fault.

  • bug 1007020 – XHR Progress Events need a way to read how many compressed bytes have been downloaded
  • Getting closer to landing Resource Timing API
    • bug 1047848 – PerformanceResourceTiming objects can’t be JSON.stringify’d
  • Making progress on captive portal detection.

Seceng (keeler)

bug 1036546 landed: soft-disable proprietary window.crypto functions/properties before removing them entirely (things like window.crypto.generateCRMFRequest now don’t exist unless the pref “dom.unsafe_legacy_crypto.enabled” is true). See also bug 1030963.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

14:00 lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-08-12
14:02 davidb: i notice accessibility is missing from the team standups (is that to make me feel less guilty?)
14:03 lmandel: davidb: You'd have to check history to see who you should thank for that.
14:07 davidb emails culprit

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-08-1211:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

11-August-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-08-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:02 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

  • Luis Antonio Sánchez Romero from Mexico has been helping us test Payments in Mexico by acquiring local SIMs and running tests for us. Payments team thanks him for all his efforts!

Upcoming Events

Monday, 11 August

  • The latest edition of DevPulse is up – have a read and see how you can get involved with Mozillians supporting developers worldwide!
  • Join us at 2pm Pacific for the bi-weekly Marketplace community meeting. This week, we’ll talk about the new proposed format for Marketplace contributions, and a new community curation program for the feed feature.

Wednesday, 13 August

Mozillians Town Hall – Get Firefox on a Growth Trajectory

MDN Community Meeting

Intern Presentations

  • 1:00- Susanna Bowen, “Improving Support for CSS Ruby” SF

  • 1:30- Jonathan Morton, “WebGL in Web Workers” SF
  • 2:00- Julian Hector, “IPC, supervisor and FirefoxOS” SF
  • 2:30- James Hobin, “A Cake Filled With Rainbows, Smiles, and JavaScript” SF

js13kGames 2014 Competition

  • JavaScript coding competition for HTML5 game developers that takes place online Aug 13 through Sept 13

  • Run by Mozillian Andrzej “Captain Rogers” Mazur, Mozillian Jason Weathersby is a competition judge
  • Competition homepage

Thursday, 14 August

Intern Presentations

  • 1:00- Guptha Rajagopal, “SpiderMonkey – More Strings, More Class” MV

  • 1:30- Jeremy Poulin, “Predictor: Because Witches Are Scary” MV
  • 2:00- Sathyanarayanan Gunasekaran, “Games, games and more games” MV
  • 2:30- Basar Koc, “Ringing Artifacts in Data Compression” MV

Friday, 15 August

  • Webdev Beer and Tell – 2PM Pacific in the Webdev vidyo room

    • Web developers across the project show off their side projects. Open to the public! (Airmo link will be on the wiki page)

Saturday, 16 August

Next Week

  • Mozillians Town Hall – Disrupting the Advertising Industry

    • More information coming soon

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox

  • Johnathan Nightingale – Toronto

Firefox OS

  • Li Gong from London (Vidyo)

Content Services

  • Darren Herman / Sean Bohan – NYC Office

  • Tiles – We are NOT doing a Brown Bag this week, but we have scheduled a Town Hall discussion next Monday Aug 18
  • Subscribe2Web – updating the wiki this week and scheduling a Brown Bag session for the week of August 25
  • UP – The User Personalization team is working on introducing personalization to Firefox users, starting with data transparency. We are planning on surfacing this through the Personal Interest Dashboard (working name). This will be initially released as an add-on with the objective of providing the user the ability to 1) analyze their categorized interests based on their history and 2) discover new content that’s related to their interests

Webmaker

Speaker Location: Brett Gaylor, remote

  • We’re just about half way through with Maker Party and we have over 1200 events in 261 cities, with an estimated 62,000 attendees!

  • We passed a significant milestone – 5000 contributors to Mozilla Foundation activities!

(Nonverbal)

  • We’re extending our free Net Neutrality training into this week. Sign up here: ow.ly/A7h3B

  • Please submit session proposals to MozFest!
    • And help us spread the word! Sample tweet: Less than 2 weeks to the #Mozfest session proposal submission deadline! Get yours in now. mzl.la/Propose

Knight-Mozilla OpenNews

Speaker Location: Dan Sinker, remote

Marketplace

  • Non verbal.

  • We are trying out a new development environment for the Marketplace using Docker. If you’d like to try it out instructions are here.
  • We are also looking for app developers who’d like to try out the new hosted in-app payment system and give us feedback.

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Tyler Downer Project Manager, User Advocacy Team Firefox Updates Hotfix Home Office Vidyo No (https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/presentation/d/15ehWmUsyzzMWcOnuvwr0N5KXKBw36HEXCLWgNlhLD54/edit?usp=sharing) https://blog.mozilla.org/useradvocacy/2014/07/30/helping-our-users-experience-the-modern-web/
Mary Ellen Muckerman Brand (Engagement) Two new initiatives (Voices + Mozilla identity) San Francisco No No
Anthony Duignan-Cabrera Editor in Chief, Mozilla Voices Mozilla Voices NYC Office No No https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla_Voices
Sean Martell Art Director Mozilla identity Toronto home office No No https://blog.mozilla.org/creative/2014/08/11/building-a-new-brand-identity-system-for-mozilla/
Karen Ward Senior Project Manager, Operator Launch Team FxOS Launch Roadmap (Operators and Retail/Open Market devices) Home Office Vidyo No https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/PM/Firefox+OS+Wave+Launch+Cross+Functional+View https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/PM/Firefox+OS+Wave+Launch+Cross+Functional+View
Jorge Villalobos Add-ons Developer Relations Lead Add-on Compatibility Home Office Vidyo No Slides Add-ons Blog
Brett Gaylor VP, Webmaker Webmaker – the party is getting out of control Victoria BC Yes https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7968133/Webmaker%20-%20aug%2011%20maker%20party%20update.pdf https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7968133/Webmaker%20-%20aug%2011%20maker%20party%20update.pdf
Dino Anderson, Payam Keshtbod, Tre Kirkman People Team Diversity and Inclusion Strategy workshops San Francisco Yes D&I Strategy D&I Initiatives

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Mihai Tabără Rail Aliiev Mountain View San Francisco Release Engineering
Tomasz Kołodziejski Drew Willcoxon Mountain View Mountain View FFX Engineering

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Automation & Tools

bugzilla.mozilla.org

Notable changes to bugzilla.mozilla.org during the last week:

  • bug 938272 The “User Story” field is now visible on all products

All changes.

Engagement


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

6-August-2014

Mobile: 2014-08-06

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Topics for This Week

Search activity
Enabled in Nightly! Try it out. See blog post for some details. We’re using bug 1017135 as a meta bug.

Tablet refresh
Good progress on the tab strip implementation (screenshot). Initial patches submitted for review.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • vivek fixed bug 830270 – Remove synced tabs on Sync account deletion and bug 996227 – Add “Save as PDF” button test

  • amoghbl1 finished bug 1018417 – ButtonToast doesn’t do anything with duration parameter
  • Ashish Madeti fixed bug 1039766 – Pasting into the url bar displays the search screen.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

<Read Only>

  • Working on unbitrotting headless patch[es]

  • Worked more on node-http2, still aiming to that from node-spdy next week
  • Fixing up some UI issues in Janus addon

Alan K. (ack)

Last week:

This week:

JChen

<Read Only>

Past week

  • Fixed broken BHR scripts

  • Worked on documenting the BHR dashboard

Fixed

Working on

GCP

Last week

Next week

  • Standalone WebRTC reviews

  • Screen sharing/App sharing/Window sharing

Randall Barker

Last week worked on:

  • bug 1045967 Allow WebRTC to be built as a standalone library.

  • bug 1048425 Enable support for tab sharing with Roku device.
  • bug 1042525 Latest Gecko does not build without-X.
  • Updated Roku build to latest code in mozilla-central.

Next week plans:

  • Investigate OpenGL renderer for WebRTC standalone video.

  • Investigate sending H.264 instead of VP8 video to standalone WebRTC.
  • Continue to try and land standalone code.

Eugen Sawin

Past

Present & Future

  • Janus Proxy

    • More cache improvements

    • Investigate fork issue
  • bug 1046631 – Zoom level changes on some mobile sites on pressing the back button

Martin (mmcdonough)

Last Week
  • Fixed issues with audio playback
Next Week
  • Fix new issues with flushing

  • Finally make the output handlers fully event-driven

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

  • bug 1047607 – Take advantage of nsIURIFixup improvements for faster location bar searches

  • bug 1039048 – EventDispatcher can eat errors
  • (WIP) bug 967325 – Implement Java->Gecko request API
  • Investigating bug 1043116 (Resources$NotFoundException) — ideas welcome

WesJ

  • Working on getting jdk1.7 up on builders. Package conflicts. Releng is doing great work :)

  • Widget stuff. Landed, but working on bug 1046419 – Refine appearance of search widget, and iterating with ux on bug 815682 – Lock screen widget/shortcut for Guest Sessions on Android 4.2 and above
  • bug 940453 – [meta] Improve the UX for error pages
  • bug 763671 – New designs for fennec form elements
  • bug 998063 – Feed parser should support media:thumbnail

LucasR

<Read Only>
Last week

  • Tablet refresh

    • bug 1046200 – Create BrowserApp.isNewTablet()

    • bug 1046212 – Rename tabspanel to tabsui
    • bug 1047561 – Create settings UI for enabling the new tablet UI
    • bug 1048575 – Disable dynamic toolbar when in new tablet UI
    • bug 1048865 – Sync with upstream TwoWayView
    • bug 1048903 – Change TabCounter to take layout id as an attribute
    • bug 1048907 – Cast tabs button to ThemedImageButton instead of ShapedButton

Next week

  • More tablet refresh

liuche

<Read Only>

  • bug 1042809 – Lightweight overlay for first run

  • bug 1021751 – Polish for home contextual hints
  • Reviews (Telemetry, misc)

Margaret

<Read Only>

Highlights

  • Search activity

  • Small patches for bugs tracking 32/33

Fixed

Working on

eedens

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

Present

rnewman

<Read Only>

  • Assorted crash fixes, locale fixes, library load fixes …

  • Reviewing stumbler, cloudsync, share.
  • Opining on some search stuff.
  • Poking on all kinds of things. Spinning plates.

Fixed

Working on

ckitching

This week:

  • bug 1045950 – Stopped WebRTC from using pseudorandom camera image dimensions.

  • bug 1048651 – Spotted a critical flaw in Proguard that might eat our kittens. *whistles innocently*. Early stages of a system for generating Proguard keep directives from AST developed, though don’t expect rapid progress on that front.
  • bug 1048683 – Devised a cunning way to shrink nine-patches by collapsing identical pixel columns/rows in the scalable region (subject to safety conditions).
  • bug 808872 – Working prototype of full-text indexing for Awesomebar queries. Order of magnitude performance improvement results (and query time ceases to be linear in history table size). (needs cleanup and slight rejig for landing, hopefully the next weekend should do it).
  • bug 1049105 – Removed a slightly hazardous and entirely unuseful parameter from the code generator. Used the opportunity to dump a few cleanup patches I’ve had lying around for a while onto it.
  • bug 1047971 – Deleted even more redundant field initialisers (added ability to detect redundant assignments-to-default present explicitly in constructors, as well as mopping up a few that bug 1041836 missed due to a regex bug. Whoops.
  • bug 1044794/bug 1044947 – Share overlay has entered review hell. Supports adding bookmarks and send-to-tab: no reading list support just yet. Hopefully landing in the not-too-distant future…

BLassey

  • Landed all the tab mirroring patches for chromecast support

    • waiting for builders to be updated for it to be in nightlies
  • bug 1048688 – videos aren’t castable in vimeo

Ian Barlow

  • Welcome Robin Andersen! \o/

Antlam

  • Last week

    • Search activity design work

    • Prep work for onboarding Robin
    • Progress/loading animations work
  • This week
    • in SFO

    • Search polish bugs

Yuan

WebRT

  • bug 918309 – Import and use public domain JNI.jsm implementation – found crasher, on try, review request coming up

A-Team

<Read Only>

  • All armv6 builds and tests are now disabled bug 1042835

QA

Garvan

  • DB backend removed, posted MozStumbler build for community to test Fennec-related changes

  • Post code-review cleanup, and refactor out community-contributed code I don’t feel like cleaning, and isn’t used by Fennec
  • Working with rnewman on upload scheduling. Think we have agreement on a minimal/simple approach. Upload of stumbles occurs ~10 sec after ping from Fennec on resume, on pause. No other circumstance for now
  • Stumbling in Fennec to retest my changes

Feature Focus

Firefox 32 (Beta) – Release: Sep 2, 2014

Firefox 33 (Aurora) – Release: Oct 14, 2014

Firefox 34 (Nightly) – Release: Nov 25, 2014

  • [PROPOSED] Search activity v1

  • [IN PROGRESS] Fatfennec: Minifying JS
  • [PROPOSED] Moz Stumbler
  • [PROPOSED] Share handler overlay
  • [PROPOSED] Improved “Send Tab to Device” Experience
  • [PROPOSED] User-hand-holding to check the Unknown Sources checkbox
  • [PROPOSED] Form auto-fill improvements, native client-side work
  • [PROPOSED] Reflow on zoom (double tap) by default
  • [PROPOSED] Kindle-related fixes
  • [PROPOSED] Hub add-on: speed-dial panel
  • [PROPOSED] First-run tips
  • [PROPOSED] Preferred web content language
  • [PROPOSED] Tablets: tabbed browsing refresh v1
  • [PROPOSED] Suggested sites v3

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-08-06

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)

  • Firefox 32

    • Desktop beta4 shipped yesterday, beta5 ships Friday

    • Mobile beta4 ships today

Firefox Desktop & Platform (Javaun/Chad/Martin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can find the most recently completed iteration performance report here

  • You can see the status of the current iteration in progress here

Uplifts

Beta (32)
  • Update the icons in the context menu to have the correct size, HiDPI, and inverted variants ( Bug 1016405 )

  • The New Tab Page should be smarter about showing more tiles when on large screens ( Bug 1026561 )
  • allow snippets in about:home to highlight sync in the firefox menu ( Bug 1035586 )
  • Unable to close tab after slow script warning at chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml:1989 ( Bug 1041788 )
  • Disabled icons in context menu are invisible if hovered in High Contrast White theme ( Bug 1041969 )
  • Page should be drawn in accordance with the high contrast themes ( Bug 1042625 )
  • White list about:home for Firefox Accounts landing page ( Bug 1043505 )
  • Empty language to translate to drop down on localized builds ( Bug 1046142 )
Aurora (33)
  • mac: killing plugin-container with SIGABRT doesn’t trigger the crash reporter ( Bug 1012912 )

  • Intermittent browser_946320_tabs_from_other_computers.js | Uncaught exception – Subview (PanelUI-history) did not show within 20 seconds. ( Bug 1027181 )
  • Make the ‘Translations by’ string localizable ( Bug 1032139 )
  • allow snippets in about:home to highlight sync in the firefox menu ( Bug 1035586 )
  • remove existing webrtc indicator in the browser toolbar ( Bug 1037415 )
  • Trigger explicit OpenH264 updates from OpenH264Provider ( Bug 1039226 )
  • Changing the URL in a pinned tab opens new tab instead ( Bug 1039904 )
  • Non-functional “preference” button for Open H264 plugin (depending on state) ( Bug 1040941 )
  • Investigate repeated & redundant GMPInstallManager log lines ( Bug 1041181 )
  • GMPChild should finish IPC setup before calling Crashreporter IPC method ( Bug 1041226 )
  • Possible deadlock in Crashreporter::OOPInit() from GMP plugin initialization ( Bug 1041525 )
  • handle dragging the global webrtc sharing indicator ( Bug 1041663 )
  • Fix positioning of the global webrtc sharing indicator if there are multiple screens ( Bug 1041667 )
  • show hidpi icons in the mac global webrtc sharing indicator ( Bug 1041685 )
  • replace place holder screensharing icons with final icons ( Bug 1041687 )
  • Unable to close tab after slow script warning at chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml:1989 ( Bug 1041788 )
  • Disabled icons in context menu are invisible if hovered in High Contrast White theme ( Bug 1041969 )
  • Visual issues with the global indicator for screen/device sharing ( Bug 1042163 )
  • Page should be drawn in accordance with the high contrast themes ( Bug 1042625 )
  • White list about:home for Firefox Accounts landing page ( Bug 1043505 )
  • OpenH264 crash reporting notification not shown ( Bug 1043531 )
  • Crash reporter notification cuts off OpenH264 plugin name ( Bug 1045500 )
  • Empty language to translate to drop down on localized builds ( Bug 1046142 )

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 54 bugs over the last week, for a total of 92 for the 34.1 iteration.

  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)

Work In Progress

  • Search activity: Enabled in Nightly! Try it out. See blog post for some details.

  • Tablet refresh: Good progress on the tab strip implementation (screenshot). Initial patches submitted for review.
    • bug 1046200 – Create BrowserApp.isNewTablet()

    • bug 1046212 – Rename tabspanel to tabsui
    • bug 1047561 – Create settings UI for enabling the new tablet UI
    • bug 1048575 – Disable dynamic toolbar when in new tablet UI
    • bug 1048865 – Sync with upstream TwoWayView
    • bug 1048903 – Change TabCounter to take layout id as an attribute
    • bug 1048907 – Cast tabs button to ThemedImageButton instead of ShapedButton
  • Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
    • Janus Proxy – Cache improvements

    • UI improvements/fixes to addon

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Uplifts from the past week

Beta (32)
  • Video controls are displayed in the middle of the video ( Bug 1005031 )

  • Regression: lost the ability to set and or remove an existing master password ( Bug 1042657 )
  • Reader mode (ambient light detection) prevents device from sleeping (holds CPU wakelock) ( Bug 1043920 )
  • Add architecture to logged library load errors ( Bug 1046369 )
Aurora (33)
  • No need to removeObserver in Snippets ( Bug 1042502 )

  • Regression: lost the ability to set and or remove an existing master password ( Bug 1042657 )
  • Tweak Browser:Quit to maintain existing support for add-ons ( Bug 1043539 )
  • Reader mode (ambient light detection) prevents device from sleeping (holds CPU wakelock) ( Bug 1043920 )
  • Add architecture to logged library load errors ( Bug 1046369 )

Landings from the past week

Nightly (34)
  • Enable search activity in Nightly builds ( Bug 992963 )

  • ButtonToast doesn’t do anything with duration parameter ( Bug 1018417 )
  • Auto-selecting a phone number does not stop at element breaks ( Bug 1023418 )
  • Fail to launch webapp with TypeError: navigator.mozApps is undefined ( Bug 1035867 )
  • support tab casting to chromecast ( Bug 1037015 )
  • Regression: lost the ability to set and or remove an existing master password ( Bug 1042657 )
  • Reader mode (ambient light detection) prevents device from sleeping (holds CPU wakelock) ( Bug 1043920 )
  • Add architecture to logged library load errors ( Bug 1046369 )

Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

5-August-2014

SeaMonkey: 2014-08-05

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> mcsmurf

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • IanN

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)
We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ has not been updated since November 2012, the last version listed is 2.14 (bug 956561); move blog to blog.mozilla.org if possible Assigned: mcsmurf.

    • Mcsmurf says that it looks like we might be getting a blog on blog.mozilla.com.

    • KaiRo will do some DNS magic to get it mirrored at blog.seamonkey-project.org
    • bug 973886 for creating the blog account
  • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager
    • mcsmurf will look into this

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • Buildmaster is up and running.

    • Due to the master having some mysql issues, Callek has put a halt on the mysql updates, which affects the tbpl. So nothing is showing in tbpl atm.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer has completed the coding. The decision to merge c-c into m-c has been kicked down the road into the next quarter or two.
  • [5th August 2014 update]

    • All available linux64 machines are up and running buildbot (CentOS 6.5)

    • Currently the buildmaster is manually patched (with patches from bug 840427) to run jobs but ewong is continually tweaking the buildbot-config/buildbotcustom code to make the Linux* machines run Mock.
      • The following are ‘old’ info being kept as a reference:

        • Migrating our Linux builders to CentOS 6 bug 795354. Puppetmaster has been updated. Ewong is able to login to these hosts and buildbot is installed. We still need to get everything setup for parity and do some slight tweaks to the puppet config, but we’re pretty close to useable.

        • In Progress: 2.28 beta and final will depend on build system working again for Gecko 31.0
        • bug 983536 libpango version >= 1.22.0 required on Linux.(should be fixed when bug 795354 is fixed).
        • bug 977676 SeaMonkey’s puppet broken due to requirement of ffxbld ldap password.
        • bug 943740 is tracking the progress (or lack of one) in building trunk and aurora on Linux & Mac from the downloading user’s POV.
        • bug 840426 tracks the buildbot-config and buildbotcustom code changes to support Mock on our linux* slaves.
        • bug 853720 tracks the builders not recognizing mozcrash. (Not exactly sure if it’s relevant still, since our builders have been so perma-red for some time; but putting this here just in case.)
    • We are perma-orange on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta due to problems with tests
      • Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.
  • pymake has been discontinued. We need to install the latest Mozilla-build and tooltool on our windows builders (tracked by bug 1023644 )
  • No langpacks since 29th August 2013 on trunk. Needs investigating.
    • Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.

    • In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.

Release Train

  • Callek plans to have at least one 2.28 beta as soon as we get the Linux builders up.

    • SeaMonkey 2.28 beta 1 and final are intended to follow within two weeks after last merge (i.e., by the time of this meeting), otherwise another 2.26.x update will follow (Callek’s news post, MZ announcement).
  • Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.26

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (30)

2.28

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (16)

2.Next

  • Stalled. Needs a kick.

    • bug 937809 Add DuckDuckGo to the default search engines list.

    • bug 815954 Click-to-Play: Port bug 812562 (click-to-play blocklisted plugins: reshow urlbar notification as with normal click-to-play).
    • bug 476108 GetShortPathNameW fails under some NTFS junctions [patchlove].
  • Current breakages:
    • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager needs an owner

    • bug 995737 adapt seamonkey for the ab remote content policy change; use permission manager instead of address book property.
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Our front end Sync UI needs to be updated as the old backend is going away in Gecko/Firefox 31. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly. Tracked in:

      • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager.

      • bug 1003434 Add support for about:sync-progress.
    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
    • bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
      • bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 34 new, 22 fixed, 11 triaged.

  • Medium triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
29 review
6 super-review
1 ui-review
4 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.

  • TODO: We will need to update our Sync UI code due to the new Sync API. Also we need to check if we are allowed to create FX accounts from our UI Since the new Sync accounts are FX accounts.[IanN] I’m sure I saw a question about FX accounts and branding.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 1043019 Port |bug 1036894 – Move in-tree library linkage information to moz.build| and |bug 1041936 – Allow static library definitions to depend on shared libraries| to comm-central

    • bug 1043040 Port |bug 1036694 – merge nsIMarkupDocumentViewer into nsIContentViewer| to comm-central
    • bug 1044460 Port relevant changes from bug 1043344 for moving libraries and programs build to the compile tier
    • bug 1045026 Cannot use “thunderbird” as PROGRAM name, because it is already used in mail/components/search/mdimporter
    • bug 1046468 toolkit/library has an inter-dependency on ldap for comm-central that it needs to be told about in the moz.build world
    • bug 1046638 Port |bug 1044162 – make install locations for EXTRA_{PP_,}JS_MODULES better| to comm-central
    • bug 1047702 recursivemake’s scan for Makefiles with XPI_PKGNAME or INSTALL_EXTENSION_ID should take account of comm-central
    • bug 1048561 Fix up after landing of bug 1043041 – Replace use of NSPR’s PRTime with a safer type in mozilla::pkix
  • Pending check in:
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
    • bug 1046826 Use m-c’s config/makefiles/debugmake.mk in c-c’s rules.mk

    • bug 1047924 When building with ac_add_options –enable-extensions extensions are put expanded into the wrong location in dist/bin
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
  • Working on:
    • bug 1047981 Port |bug 1047924 – When building with ac_add_options –enable-extensions extensions are put expanded into the wrong location in dist/bin| to comm-central

    • bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)
    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

mcsmurf

  • Various things

Neil

Helped land fix on mozilla-central:

  • bug 1037667 Can’t build using Win7 SDK + DirectX SDK.

Needs checkin (waiting for greener tree):

Needs checkin and aurora approval (waiting for greener tree):

Needs beta checkin (waiting for greener tree):

  • bug 934492 Adjust the preference panes for the removal of the charset data source.

Needs beta backout (bug 933462 was backed out on Gecko 30):

Waiting for review on fixed patch:

  • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI.

Still waiting for review:

Ratty

Fixed:

  • bug 986548 SeaMonkey 2.25 always crashes when trying to access email (landed on all branches).

  • Remove the old Content Security Policy component from package-manifest.in

Needs checkin (waiting for greener tree):

  • bug 1035171 Switching tabs triggers onLocationChange with LOCATION_CHANGE_SAME_DOCUMENT flag.

  • bug 1039933 While composing mail, there exists an empty line in attachment context menu when right clicked on the attachment area
  • bug 1040771 Allow about: pages to opt in to IndexedDB optionally specifying a desired origin.
  • bug 1041327 Record submission event for plugin crashes [notifications].

Working on:

  • bug 1041317 Package form.requestAutocomplete components.

  • bug 1047519 Remove the old Content Security Policy component from package-manifest.in.
  • bug 1040910 Support XHTML in feed titles.

Other stuff:

  • Did some reviews.

  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

rsx11m

Draft patch pending:

  • bug 1032302 8BITMIME keyword ignored in EHLO greeting, BODY=8BITMIME absent in MAIL request for 8-bit transfers. (MailNews)

Other:

  • Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.

  • Monday-morning quarterbacking on Thunderbird 31.0 release.
  • End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.

Any other business?

Discuss:

  • [Ratty] KaiRo reminded us that we need to grow our contributor community. Perhaps we can get some Engagement experts from Mozilla to give us some suggestions?

    • [IanN] might have a chat with some people and see if they can point me in the right direction.

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2014-08-05

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

Next Merge: September 1, 2014 Next Release: September 2, 2014
Trains
Central: 34 Aurora: 33 Beta: 32 Release: 31
  • Firefox 32 beta 4 ships today

  • Fennec 32 beta 4 ships tomorrow

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

  • Tree Closing Window (TCW) this Saturday, August 9. (Normal 6 week cycle).

    • some network work will impact build & test environments

    • some vcs failover testing will occur
    • more details and timeframes in bug 1048340

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: N/A (bug 1046162 and bug 1048920 track the current issues) (Previous Week: N/A).

  • 16 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

CritSmash (dbolter)

  • BLACK HAT is this week! Please be on the ready for jumping on potential security disclosures.

MemShrink (njn)

  • B2G: Ghislain Aus Lacroix changed some backgrounds that used subtle radial gradients to instead use solid colour, saving around 2.5 MiB of memory.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

<Read Only>

  • topcrash in Nightly. fix in progress. some changes backed out.

    • bug 1043426 and 1045608 – mozilla::layers::CompositorD3D11::DrawQuad(mozilla::gfx::RectTyped<mozilla::gfx::UnknownUnits> const&, mozilla::gfx::RectTyped<mozilla::gfx::UnknownUnits> const&, mozilla::layers::EffectChain const&, float, mozilla::gfx::Matrix4x4 const&)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Developer Tools (robcee)

Profiler Update

Last week, Victor Porof (:vp) attempted to land the New Profiler UI in bug 879008. He had to back it out due to leaks occurring in the Profiler back-end. We logged bug 1047124 to investigate this and some quick discussion with Benoit Girard suggested there was a leak.

We’re going to land the new Profiler front-end with the 15 or so tests that cause this leak disabled.

A little further investigation showed the tests from our original in-tree Profiler were disabled back in February bug 973974 and never re-enabled.

We’re going to talk to Kannan Vijayan this week to ask if he has any chance to look into this. He’s been fixing Profiler crashes for nearly 6 months and rewriting the JS backend of the profiler in his spare time. Hopeful we’ll be able to get these tests working again as we’ve been running blind since they were disabled.

Any additional help or insight please contact me (robcee) or Victor (victorporof) in email or IRC.

17 Bugs Fixed

Hacks Post for 33

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • The DOM module now has a new peer! The new peer is Andrea Marchesini (baku) who’s made a ton of amazing contributions to the DOM in the past couple of years!

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

  • e10s team held a QMO testday last week focused on testing add-ons with e10s. We are tracking a list of known compatible and incompatible add-ons on arewee10syet.com (“Are we e10s yet?”).

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can find the most recently completed iteration performance report here

  • You can see the status of the current iteration in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 54 bugs over the last week, for a total of 92 for the 34.1 iteration.

  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Firefox Mobile (snorp)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings from the past week

Nightly (34)
  • Enable search activity in Nightly builds ( Bug 992963 )

  • ButtonToast doesn’t do anything with duration parameter ( Bug 1018417 )
  • Auto-selecting a phone number does not stop at element breaks ( Bug 1023418 )
  • Fail to launch webapp with TypeError: navigator.mozApps is undefined ( Bug 1035867 )
  • support tab casting to chromecast ( Bug 1037015 )
  • Regression: lost the ability to set and or remove an existing master password ( Bug 1042657 )
  • Reader mode (ambient light detection) prevents device from sleeping (holds CPU wakelock) ( Bug 1043920 )
  • Add architecture to logged library load errors ( Bug 1046369 )

Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_CONNECTIVITY_GROUP/2014-08-05

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Gonk team (led by Thomas Tsai)

    • Team Summary

      • Tarako: Solving gating issues which were reported by Spice/Intex

      • Dolphin: SPRD PTR2 and perf issues
      • Woodduck: github code sync and function ready lists
      • Flame: waiting for T2M KK + v1.4 release
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • Worked on Bluetooth Low Energy(BLE) API design.

    • Planned a meeting on 8/5 with Google Chrome OS bt team to discuss more about WebBluetooth API.
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • bug 1038134 – Audio playback pauses for 2 secs when home button is tapped – WIP (2.0+)

      • Star has been still looking for the root cause.
    • bug 941302 – PlatformDecoderModule for FirefoxOS – r+ (2.1 feat+)
    • bug 1033337 – [dolphin][perf] It took about 2.9s for music to start play – WIP (1.4+)
    • bug 1041453 – MediaCodecReader crashes while parsing / playing some WebM files – landed
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen)

    • MTP is now working on FxOS (pref-off by default) when the host is either Windows 7 or Ubuntu.

    • bug 1043264 – [MTP] Find out the needed MTP API – WIP

Firefox OS Media (slee)

<<Read Only>>

  • ImageCapture API

    • implementing

    • bug 916643
  • Media test cases failure
    • fixing

    • bug 1044773, 1046837, 1048080, 1039901,
  • async codec threading part
    • implementing

    • bug 1033912, 1043900

Firefox OS RIL (htsai)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_RIL_team/2014-08-05

GFX (milan)

  • No update, more of the same from last week.

JS (naveed)

  • For lack of a better place to announce it (beyond in newsgroups): mfbt has a new UniquePtr class, which you should use to manage new‘d allocations that aren’t refcounted or similar; see this blog post for lots of info

    • Also, mozilla::Scoped is deprecated — use UniquePtr instead!

Layout (jet/dbaron)

No update this week.

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • About solved the Win32 GMP OpenH264 crashes with IPC (bug 1044245)

    • Lots of uplifts of GMP fixes to 33
  • Researching a Flame audio+video capture startup delay
  • Whitelisting for screen/window sharing is in (media.getusermedia.screensharing.allowed_domains in about:config)
    • With the whitelist, now enabled by default – will be uplifted to 33 in the next day or so

    • Further improvements to Screensharing UI and flow in 34
  • GMP decryption APIs landing

Seceng (grobinson)

<Read Only>

  • Old JS implementation of CSP has been removed from mozilla-central (bug 994782)

    • Should not affect anything (it was off by default), but it’s gone now! woo!

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

14:01 lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-08-05
14:02 milan: which (physical) room in SFO?
14:02 milan: thanks.  the invite still had NoisePop
14:02 blassey: milan: warfield
14:03 gavin: which room in MV?
14:03 gavin: alien nation?
14:03 blassey: yup
14:04 blassey: robcee: we can see your nose hairs...
14:04 blassey: (because of the camera zoom, not the size of nose hairs)
14:06 robcee: our self view shows the whole room
14:06 robcee: so I'm going to take the nose hairs comment personally
14:07 blassey: robcee: it's now full room
14:07 blassey: davidb fixed it
14:07 robcee: I see.
14:08 robcee: afk, grooming.
14:08 davidb: :)
14:08 davidb: i am the zoom master
14:09 ctalbert: robcee: what kinds of help do you need with the leak issues for the profiler?
14:10 robcee: ctalbert: figuring out what's causing them in the backend
14:10 robcee: I've spoken to benwa and djvj abuot it
14:10 robcee: about*
14:10 robcee: I think djvj may be able to help us assuming he has the time
14:10 ctalbert: robcee: oh ok yeah that sounds like a better fit than any help I can offer.
14:10 robcee: I'll take any help I can get :)

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-08-0511:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

4-August-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-08-04

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

Huge kudos to Benjamin Kerensa!
Benjamin is a super active rep, a former WebFWD Scout and key contributor for Release Management. Most recently served as chief herder for Mozilla’s presence at OSCON. He not only spoke, but organized two large social events and Mozilla’s social media presence (and more). If that weren’t enough, Benjamin also served as a critical subject matter expert on CDNs, sussing out vendors for hosting the Flame developer phone builds. Please take a minute to tweet, email or give Benjamin a fist bump if you are up in PDX!

Many thanks to Linear Li in the Taipei office for producing the first-ever Intern Brownbags on Air Mozilla from the Taipei Office. They’re in the Mozilla Intern – 2014, and Taipei channels on AirMo. Borting Chen discusses his work on the Resource Statistics API, Ricky Chien talks about integrating test report coverage into the Gaia unit testing framework, Test Agent, and KD Chang presents work on the MozPost recommendation system and Huhu, a bookmarklet that lets you keep a virtual pet in Firefox.

Nagarjuna Verma and Rahid Hasan of the Mozilla South Asia community are no longer with us as recently reported but their contributions and positive impact in the Mozilla Community will always be remembered.

Thanks to Sami Jaktholm for fixing lots of Devtools bugs including some frequent test failures.

Codingfree is the latest app reviewer to reach level 6 of the reviewer program, with 97,068 points–congrats!

Thanks to erosman and XrXr, new to the add-on review team, who are off to a good start and have helped greatly reduce the length of the AMO review queues.

Björn Steinbrink has written dozens of optimizations for Rust. In the last two weeks he taught LLVM to reuse empty stack slots, making Rust significantly more efficient.

Congrats to Clint Talbert, this week’s community building superstar!

Upcoming Events

Monday, 04 August

Please add your contribution opportunities to the about:Mozilla newsletter! New and improved form!

The Net Neutrality training series and Global Teach-in begins today and runs all week! https://blog.webmaker.org/join-mozilla-for-global-teach-ins-on-net-neutrality

Wednesday, 06 August

Intern Presentations

  • 1:00- Anthony Verez, “MozDef: You’ve collected your security logs, now what?” MV

  • 1:30- Dylan Wong, “Summer of WebQA: Testing, Dashboards, and Labs,! Oh My” MV
  • 2:00- Nathan Braswell, “Rinse and Repeat: SpiderMonkey and its JITs” MV
  • 2:30- Sathyanarayanan Gunasekaran, “TITLE” MV

Thursday, 07 August

  • 10:00 AM Pacific / 17:00 UTC: Grow Mozilla discussion — a forum for discussing community building at Mozilla

  • Intern Presentations

    • 1:00- Ian Connolly, “A Running Start” SF

    • 1:30- Carlos Diaz-Padron, “TITLE” SF
    • 2:00- Eric Edens, “Adding search to Android: Lessons and things to come” SF

Friday, 08 August

Intern Presentations!

  • 1:00- Christian Weiss, “Brick – more building blocks for the web” MV

  • 1:30- Catalin Badea, “Mostly Service Workers” MV
  • 2:00- Benjamin Brittian, “TBA” MV
  • 2:30- Kate Glazko, “TBA” MV

Next Week

Mozillians Town Hall (2014 Goals) – Get Firefox on a Growth Trajectory

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox

San Francisco (Chad)

Firefox for Android

Remote (mfinkle)

Firefox OS

Jaime: SF (non-verbal)

Webmaker

Speaker Location: non-verbal

Maker Party:

We’re now up to 1100+ events with a projected 55,000+ attendees in 242 cities.

Some recent press coverage:

Our Net Neutrality training series and Global Teach-in begins today! https://blog.webmaker.org/join-mozilla-for-global-teach-ins-on-net-neutrality

How you can help:

  • add events that you know about – any event where people are teaching and learning about the web is a Maker Party

  • please spread the word about Maker Party and the Net Neutrality teach-ins through your networks

OpenNews

Brooklyn (Erin Kissane)

Vidyo is crashing every minute or so and all my sound is out, so I’m kicking to nonverbal.

Web Compat

Speaker Location: Austin, TX (vidyo)

  • stumbleupon.com no longer gives desktop toolbar to Firefox Android

  • my.yahoo.com redirect loop in Firefox for Android fixed
  • globeandmail.ca no longer sending desktop content to Firefox OS
  • Gmail OAuth permission screen layout issues on FxOS fixed

webcompat.com:

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Jonathan Eads Software Engineer Transitioning https://tbpl.mozilla.org to https://treeherder.mozilla.org Home office (via vidyo) Yes No https://wiki.mozilla.org/Auto-tools/Projects/Treeherder
Holly Habstritt Gaal UX Lead Join us in testing prototypes for the Get Involved redesign Home office (via vidyo) Yes No https://wiki.mozilla.org/Websites/Mozilla.org/Get_Involved_Redesign#Prototype_Testing
Rosana Ardila Mozilla Reps Program Manager Remembering Arjun and Rahid Home office (via Vidyo) No No https://blog.mozilla.org/mozillareps/2014/08/01/arjun-and-rahid/
Sean Bohan Content Services Doc Searls’s Brown Bag and Quick Tiles Update & Brownbag scheduling Mozilla Times Square No No https://air.mozilla.org/doc-searls-talks-vrm-intention-and-personal-clouds-mozilla/
Lizz Noonan Brand/Grow Program Comms Manager Grow Program and EMEA Regional Event Update SF Please display slide at below link https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1GK0w8wn-MuNv_yDocXt6KRFoVGrpdnBx1r_vlJe1qYc/edit?usp=sharing https://wiki.mozilla.org/Grow_2014

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Greg Arndt Tony Chung Mountain View Chicago, IL QA Automation for Firefox OS
Ting Jung Lee Jessica Osorio San Francisco San Francisco Firefox Student Ambassadors
Robin Andersen Yuan Wang San Francisco San Francisco Firefox Android

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

OpenNews

  • We just wrapped SRCCON, our first conference

    • ~175 people, ~30 highly participatory sessions, 2 days: srccon.org

    • Inclusiveness efforts were a major focus, and we were pretty successful—will be doing a series of posts about this through August
    • Overall, it was great, we got amazing feedback, and we’re already planning SRCCON 2015
  • Session transcripts are on GitHub, where the news code community is reviewing and correcting them:
  • The Knight-Mozilla Fellowship deadline for 2015 Fellows is August 16—refer people who should apply!

Engagement


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

Powered by WordPress