Meeting Notes

17-December-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-12-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre/lmandel)

Next Merge: January 12, 2015 Next Release: January 13, 2015
Trains
Central: 37 Aurora: 36 Beta: 35 Release: 34
  • 35.0b4 looking like we’ll do a build 2 with backout bug 1097321 due to startup crash issues in b3
  • Holiday Beta scheduling
    • Week 3 – Dec 15-19: Beta 4 (Desktop & Mobile) and Beta 5 (Desktop) build & ship as usual
    • Week 4 – Dec 22-26: Beta 6 (Desktop & Mobile) gtb on Monday Dec 22 as usual, ship on Tues Dec 23 – no further betas
    • Week 5 – Dec 29-Jan 2: Beta 8 (Desktop & Mobile) gtb on Monday Dec 29 as usual, ship on Tues Dec 30 – no further betas
    • Week 6 – Jan 5-9: Beta 10 (Mobile) and Desktop RC 35.0 gtb on Monday Jan 5th, ship on Tues Jan 6 to beta channels

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

  • Tree Closing Window Saturday, Dec 20. Tentative time 0900-1730 PT, see tracker for details.

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 2.29 (last week: 3.16).
  • Many of the top oranges are lacking in action. I’ll be pinging in bugs soon, please help if you can.
  • 15 intermittent failures marked as fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.
    • Thanks to Andreas Pehrson from Telenor for fixing a frequent B2G assertion orange.

MemShrink (njn)

<Read Only>

DMD now does cumulative heap profiling. This is great for finding places where excessive numbers of short-lived heap allocations occur.

Stability (kairo)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

A*Team (jgriffin)

DOM (jst/overholt)

<Read Only>

  • We’re disabling WebSocket on Workers on beta because it’s not stable enough.

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

1. What has your team done since last week that might impact others?

  • Landed rewrite of the webrtc call negotiation code – regressions are possible, some have been fixed
  • Hello Rooms fixes have been uplifting to aurora and beta.

2. What will your team do this week that might impact others?

  • Preparing to land webrtc.org import of stable branch 40 (bug 1109428) – same branch Chrome 40 will use.
    • May well break –disable-webrtc builds again ;-) We’ll fix it.
  • k18e’s team is planning to uplift some media rewrites being done by alfredo and blake wu.

3. Is anything slowing your team down or getting in their way?

  • GMail/Gcal ;-)

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • HTTP/2 is scheduled to land on FF 35 (we’ll advertise draft spec only)
    • we’ll advertise final (non-draft) HTTP/2 support in 36
    • opportunistic encryption will be in 37
  • B2G emulator still appears to be broken (pipe writes can get lost)
    • we’re trying to hack around it for our fix

Performance (vladan)

<Read Only>

No update this week.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

10:52 AM <KaiRo> lmandel: looks like I found the issue behind the gfx issues on beta, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1097321#c26
10:53 AM <KaiRo> and lsblakk ^^^
10:55 AM <lmandel> KaiRo: Good sleuthing.
10:56 AM <KaiRo> lmandel: luckily I just stumbled over bugmail of SoftVision verifying that bug that seems to have caused the issue ;-)
10:57 AM <KaiRo> and that got me thinking "hey, we did just land unblocking something that includes Intel stuff? wait a minute..." ;-)
11:00 AM <KaiRo> lsblakk: actually, 1) sheriffs/RyanVM can do a straight backout right away if we are sure enough, that doesn't even need Jeff, and 2) I'm actually reluctant to sign off 35.0b4 with this huge startup crash issue continued
11:00 AM <•lsblakk> ah, didn't see that it was a startup crash anywhere until now
11:00 AM <•lsblakk> in that case, i'm happy to take a backout and do a build 2
11:03 AM <overholt> cpeterson, did milan_ and I get disconnected?
11:03 AM <KaiRo> lsblakk: yes, took me a bit to realize as well, I'm definitely in favor of a build2 there.
11:04 AM <cpeterson> overholt: i don't see you guys on screen
11:04 AM <overholt> cpeterson, thanks. looks like a Vidyo crash. we're back.
11:04 AM <Pike> not just that the calendars are all upset, my head thinks it's wednesday, too
11:07 AM <RyanVM|sheriffduty> KaiRo: lsblakk: backing out now
11:07 AM <KaiRo> RyanVM|sheriffduty: thanks
11:10 AM <RyanVM|sheriffduty> jduell: CC me to that bug when you file it?
11:10 AM — RyanVM|sheriffduty wonders if that's the same underlying issue we have with other emulator test stability issues
11:11 AM <jduell> RyanVM|sheriffduty: will do
11:11 AM <RyanVM|sheriffduty> thanks
11:11 AM <jesup> jduell: sorry, we don't detect it directly: #if defined(MOZ_WIDGET_GONK) && defined(DEBUG) // B2G emulator debug is very, very slow and has problems dealing with realtime audio inputs
11:11 AM <jduell> jesup: ah. Ok, thanks
11:13 AM <jduell> jesup: hmm, this looks interesting... http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/gfx/thebes/gfxAndroidPlatform.cpp#117

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-12-1611:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

10-December-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-12-09

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre/lmandel)

Next Merge: January 12, 2015 Next Release: January 13, 2015
Trains
Central: 37 Aurora: 36 Beta: 35 Release: 34
  • Firefox 34.0.5 updates are enabled at 100% as of this morning
  • We might need to do a mobile-only 34.0.1
  • Firefox Beta 35.0b2 shipping today
  • Fennec Beta 35.0b2 delayed go to build until Thursday
    • We’re still working on split apk for Gingerbread users, should have that in place in the next couple of weeks

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

<Read Only>
No update.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

GFX (milan)

  • B2G: the follow up to 2.1 (“2.X”) looks to be based on Gecko 37…
    • Graphics plans are unchanged from 2.2 to 2.X
    • Graphics plans were based on Gecko 38
    • So… will likely keep the 38 time frame and uplift to B2G 37 branch past the trunk. Will figure it out by mid January when this becomes relevant.

JS (naveed)

  • Work Week
    • Shumway load time is highest priority
    • 2015 Planning (more on this to come)

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • Investigating bug 1107378 to fix webkit-dependent sites in China added to a mobile (fennec) fix-list.
  • Landed bug 1089417 – restyling fixes for CSS media queries

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • 1. What has your team done since last week that might impact others?
    • Hello is in Release/34! Early reviews are generally good (and recognize the differences for privacy compared to say Skype).
    • Landed sdparta! bug 1091242 – (rewrite of the majority of webrtc signaling, other than the parsing).
      • Known regression bug 1109130 breaks < MSVC 2013 compiles; fix shortly
    • Lots of great discussions at #mozlandia
    • FoxEye presentation (echoes of roc’s older MediaStream Processing proposal)
    • Work moving forward towards multiple streams of a type and renegotiation
  • 2. What will your team do this week that might impact others?
    • Starting work towards a webrtc.org update
    • More sdparta work

Performance (vladan)

1. What has your team done since last week that might impact others?

  • bug 1107779, bug 1107782: Avi found that the “activeTicks” FHR measurement significantly over-reports Firefox usage time, because Firefox fires “user-interaction-active” notifications while the mouse cursor is positioned over the browser even when the user is away from the computer
    • Should we just land the fix, or is it important to maintain continuity with the current measurement (for monitoring for relative changes)?
    • The above bugs are unrelated to the big drop in activeTicks reported in bug 1096498
  • Talos numbers for most E10s tests are available
    • we’re still converting some tests, e.g. tresize
    • there are serious regressions from E10S, e.g. WebGL is 4x worse on Windows
    • Joel Maher said he’ll write a blog post summarizing Talos regressions/improvements from E10S
  • Spark is the new, much faster way of analyzing large amounts of Telemetry data:

2. What will your team do this week that might impact others?

  • bug 998863: Almost ready to land asynchronous initialization of out-of-process plugins

3. Is anything slowing your team down or getting in their way?

  • bug 998863: Need one more review for asynchronous initialization of out-of-process plugins

Shumway (tschneidereit)

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

Touch input standardization update (mbrubeck)

  • W3C Pointer Events going to Proposed Rec. Shipping in IE, portions shipping in Chrome, partially implemented in Gecko.
    • Chrome and Safari have no plans to ship full Pointer Events implementation.
  • Touch Events CG is actively discussing errata and extensions, about to start a weekly-ish telecon. Let me know if you want to get involved.
  • Gecko/Touch has a breakdown of our implementation status and various missing pieces.

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting



Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-12-0911:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

26-November-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-11-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lmandel)

Next Merge: November 30, 2014 Next Release: December 1, 2014
Trains
Central: 36 Aurora: 35 Beta: 34 Release: 33
  • 34.0 Desktop RC build1 yesterday has a few outstanding issues so…
  • 34.0 Desktop RC build2 gtb today
  • 34.0.5 Desktop RC gtb as soon as we have the search information we need

34 Mobile:

  • 34.0 Mobile RC build done! Just waiting for release day.
  • 34 betas are done. Only request tracking if you have a stop ship bug or want to consider a bug for a ride-along in a point release (if we have one)
  • Firefox 34 scheduled to release on Mon, Dec 1.
  • Reminder that the merge is taking place this Fri, Nov 28

Next beta:

  • Firefox 35 beta1 ships Dec 4

Work week sessions:

  • Also looking to schedule time to speak with each team about our release process.

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 2.66 (last week: 2.33).
    • Something’s wrong with these numbers. Investigating.
  • 26 intermittent failures marked as fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.
    • Thanks to Dave Townsend (:Mossop) for fixing some frequent and long-standing Addon Manager oranges

MemShrink (njn)

<Read Only>

Stability (kairo)

<Read Only>

  • Overall numbers are looking good except desktop Nightly, which is on a down trend as well.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

1. What has your team done since last week that might impact others?

  • bug 1101193e10s has temporarily been disabled for this week, the last week of Nightly 36, to shake out any non-e10s regressions before the Nightly/Aurora 36 merge date.
  • bug 972507 – BugzillaJS add-on now works with e10s
  • bug 1058251 – “File > Save Page As” works with e10s
  • bug 1008435 – Gecko Profiler now works with e10s

2. What will your team do this week that might impact others?

  • e10s will be reenabled by default next week for Nightly 37.

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

  • MP3 audio playback on Android L

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

1. What has your team done since last week that might impact others?

  • Landed display:contents
  • Bug 1074528 – Implement parsing/computing of inset()

2. What will your team do this week that might impact others?

  • Portland!

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Fixes to Block & Cancel done and uplifted
  • Rooms on Aurora should be enabled tonight

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • Looking into the HTTPS/TLS feature set of our new search partners: short answer is they’re behind Google on some issues.
  • figured out why our patch fails on B2G emulator

Performance (vladan)

1. What has your team done since last week that might impact others?

2. What will your team do this week that might impact others?

  • Portland: Roberto will hold a tutorial on analyzing Telemetry data using Spark, a much faster way to do custom analyses of large amounts of Telemetry data
    • Date & location will be posted on m.d.platform
  • bug 1076775: Working on removing jank from the new “Forget History button” feature

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting



Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-11-2511:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

19-November-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-11-18

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lmandel)

Next Merge: November 28, 2014 Next Release: December 1, 2014
Trains
Central: 36 Aurora: 35 Beta: 34 Release: 33
  • As announced on dev-planning, Firefox 34 will take an extra week before release
    • CHANGE IN RELEASE DATE: Dec 1/2, 2014
    • CHANGE IN MERGE DATE: Fri, Nov 28, 2014
    • No change to Firefox 35 release date
  • Desktop 34 beta10 ships today
  • Mobile 34 beta10 ships tomorrow
  • FINAL BETA: Desktop/Mobile 34 beta11 gtb on Thursday
  • Some release related work week sessions (e-mail lsblakk for details):
    • Detecting issues earlier in the cycle
    • Mitigation strategies for issues in field that don’t require a point release (think blocklist)
    • Release process/schedule discussion

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

CritSmash (dbolter)

  • We’re doing well on criticals, not great otherwise.

MemShrink (njn)

<Read Only>

areweslimyet.com (AWSY) is broken due to e10s landing. Bug 1100253 is tracking this. There’s a big warning at the top of AWSY so that people don’t freak out too much.

Stability (kairo)

  • Overall numbers look good again except for Nightly (and Android Aurora, which is coming back down after a MediaCodec fix).
    • Nightly issues are mostly e10s and GFX.
    • While there’s some things we probably want to investigate, no firefighting needs on any channels above Nightly atm!
  • Long-term crash rate graphs are now available for Nightly and Aurora in addition to Beta and Release
  • Help needed: bug 1093683 (Yosemite crash when saving files) is rising across channels, needs investigation, if on Apple side, we may need to communicate with them.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

A*Team (jgriffin)

<Read Only>

–run-by-dir for mochitest-browser-chrome has landed! See bug 1057512. Three tests are currently disabled as a result, we’re working on finding owners and fixing them:

Accessibility (dbolter)

<Read Only>

  • Eitan implemented bug 1069598 gesture quicknav (for Gaia)
  • Trevor is ready for engineering help with our e10s a11y solution (will reach out)
  • W3C land: possibility of element.getComputedRole is being discussed. Essentially this opens the door to accessibility-like DOM API. A downside is it will be a little too easy to instantiate our a11y engine (increases exploit attack surface), upsides include a11y innovation as well as a11y acid tests.

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

  • We may disable e10s on Nightly a few days before the Aurora merge date.

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

  • Possible uplift of fixes (bug 1086693) and enabling MediaCodec backend on 34 now that we have some more time

GFX (milan)

  • Desktop QA is maintaining a “Top 5″ graphics bugs in Trello that we’re using to prioritize bug fixing. Very convenient.
  • (Still ) chasing some blacklisting opportunities, mostly on AMD now.

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • CSS properties “object-fit” & “object-position” have landed (impl: bug 624647, pref-enabled: bug 1099450)
  • Should be enabled in tomorrow’s nightly, depending on inbound merge timing.

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Hello problems over the weekend caused by a Push server update
    • Push team figuring out what went wrong and why an update they didn’t intend got included
    • Seems stable now.
  • Fighting a 20fps max issue in B2G 2.1 (regression likely due to bug 848954)
  • Looking to update media/webrtc/trunk either late in 36 or early 37 (more likely) with code shared with Chrome 40
  • Major rewrite of webrtc signaling about to land
    • Moving towards renegotiation and multiple streams
    • bwc++!
  • Mac Support for MP4/h264/AAC switched off in beta and will not release in 34, expected to ship in 35. (bug 1068455‏ and bug 1070703)

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • No update this week.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

  • (lmandel) Less sheriff coverage this week. You may want to handle your own landings.

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting



Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-11-1811:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

30-September-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-09-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lmandel)

Next Merge: October 13, 2014 Next Release: October 14, 2014
Trains
Central: 35 Aurora: 34 Beta: 33 Release: 32
  • You might have heard that we chemspilled last week
  • 33 beta 8 ships today
  • Final betas coming up
    • 33 beta 9 (last desktop beta) goes to build Thursday
    • 33 beta 10 (last mobile beta) goes to build Monday
    • still 22 tracked bugs for 33, please help drive down this list
  • Notable Aurora uplifts coming this week
    • OSX Gatekeeper v2 signing support via package layout changes
    • Loop changes

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 4.52 (last week: 4.17).
  • No progress on frequent Android and B2G timeouts raised in the prior weeks.
  • 14 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

MemShrink (njn)

Stability (kairo)

  • Thanks to the GFX team for a lot of work and cooperation around OMTC on Windows.
    • We will very probably ship 33 with it back on and some good crash fixes added, turning it off for almost a week gave us good data though.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

A*Team (RyanVM)

<Read Only>

Desktop Platform (bsmedberg)

  • New mac bundle structure and v2 signing landed
    • Planned to uplift to 34
    • Please file regressions or addon-incompatibility issues!

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • watch out for regressions in IndexedDB and related areas (bug 994190 relanded and looks good so far)

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

<Read Only>

  • Please help dogfood e10s in Nightly!
  • Many e10s bugs fixed this week. Some highlights:

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can see the status of the current iteration (35.2) in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 80 bugs over the last week, to complete the 35.2 iteration.
  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Priorities for the upcoming iteration

  • e10s on Nightly
  • Loop:
    • finalize accounts/contacts work
    • UX: design spike looking into “collaboration” use cases
  • “Panic button”: better-exposed “Clear Recent History” functionality
  • “Reset button on the web”: a mechanism to prompt users to reset Firefox when they try to download Firefox when already running the latest version
  • OS X Yosemite themeing work
  • New tab page performance investigations
  • Places performance work (main thread IO removal)
  • Translation trial followup

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings from the past week

Nightly (35)
  • Visible seams on the page (maybe at tile borders?) ( Bug 1009306 )
  • Send NS_NETWORK_LINK_DATA_CHANGED events on Android ( Bug 1024614 )
  • crash in mozilla::gfx::AlphaBoxBlur::Blur(unsigned char*) ( Bug 1028802 )
  • WebApp startup slowed significantly by debug server ( Bug 1034114 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.home.PinSiteDialog$3.onFocusChange(PinSiteDialog.java) ( Bug 1041448 )
  • APKs for previous versions of Nightly and Aurora stick around in Downloads ( Bug 1051654 )
  • Performing searches with Wikipedia search engine immediately launches Fennec ( Bug 1063193 )
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Wifi:Enable was not registered at org.mozilla.gecko.EventDispatcher.unregisterListener(EventDispatcher.java) ( Bug 1063541 )
  • The URL displayed under tab titles in the Synced Tabs panel disappears for a while after choosing “Open in New Tab”/”Open in Private Tab” ( Bug 1064162 )
  • Synced Tabs panel shouldn’t be present in Guest Mode ( Bug 1064177 )
  • crash in mozilla::gfx::SourceSurfaceAlignedRawData::InitWithStride(mozilla::gfx::IntSizeTyped<mozilla::gfx::UnknownUnits> const&, mozilla::gfx::SurfaceFormat, int, bool) ( Bug 1067018 )
  • Firefox: User doesn’t go back to the channel after watching video till the end ( Bug 1068633 )
  • Android crash in mozilla::image::RasterImage::DecodeSomeData ( Bug 1069369 )
  • Selecting “No video” and “No audio” options from the permission prompt still shows the content of the device camera and the audio active ( Bug 1070989 )
  • System download manager needs a build time pref ( Bug 1071091 )
  • Form autocomplete dialog can take up the entire screen and make it really hard to use fennec ( Bug 1071738 )
  • Tapping sometimes triggers two clicks ( Bug 1071758 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.db.PerProfileDatabases.getDatabaseHelperForProfile(PerProfileDatabases.java) ( Bug 1072332 )
  • Regression: Open/Close animation of the tabs tray and menu is sluggish ( Bug 1072376 )
  • Issues with hidden/unhidden devices on Synced Tabs ( Bug 1072954 )

Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_CONNECTIVITY_GROUP/2014-09-30

Firefox OS Peripherals / Device Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
    • BLE API discussion on dev-webapi
    • bug 1063066 – [Flame][KK] Bluetooth transfer does not work in Gallery App – landed (2.1+, smoketest blocker)
    • bug 1062697 – [MADAI][Bluetooth] avrcp metadata doesn’t update on carkit. – landed (2.0+)
    • bug 1072142 – [woodduck] Read the 2nd socket message info directly – landed (2.0M+)
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
    • bug 1069857 – [FFOS] OMXCodec’s seek could be triggered again in DecodeVideoFrame() when seeking – landed (2.0+)
    • bug 1053031 – [FFOS V2.0] When operate I-frame seek, Video player position was not changed. – patch ready (2.0+)
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen, Eden Chuang)
    • No update this week

GFX (milan)

  • Bumpy ride for the Windows OMTC; is/was there a better way given the hardware variety?
  • Work week covered topics like APZ & tiling on desktop, Project Silk, E10S, etc. See here and here for notes.

Layout (jet/dbaron)

  • Xidorn Quan joins the Platform rendering team. He’ll start working on our Asian Text projects, completing the CSS Ruby layout feature.
  • Q3 Goals updated with current status. Will share Q4 Goals next week.

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Fixed a number of race conditions resulting from the MediaStreamGraph refactor (bug 848954)
    • Added thread-safety assertions (caught a bug we’d already been tracking a fix for)
  • Found that in overloaded conditions the output buffering code would drop audio and run unnecessary processing (bug 1074420)
  • Landed a wallpaper patch for a top-crasher in beta – bug 1033066 (allocation size going negative; may be related to bug 1074420).
  • Found eager-allocation of 8MB when webrtc/gum is started that was supposed to be disabled on beta and release bug 1074548 – thanks khuey!
  • e10s getUserMedia/etc UI fixes – should work now
  • preparing to work on multi-stream support for PeerConnections (and call setup improvements like BUNDLE (less ports) and renegotiation (no having to start a new connection and drop the old one when adding/removing video, for example)
  • Lots and lots of Loop work. Better every day! File bugs!
    • Use it for 1-1’s in place of Vidyo!
  • More 2.0 fixes
    • Support for HW Audio AEC/noise-suppression on Flame landed (build option in 2.0)
    • working to make sure “right” device-specific prefs/files are installed on next base build (H.264 enable, better H.264 codec, HW AEC, etc)

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • Network change detection (Windows-only for now, Android coming soon, other platforms Q4) finally landed and is sticking so far (bug 939318)
  • We’re implementing an OpenVPN API for Firefox OS: talk to me if you’re interested in what webAPI should look like (bug 1033580)
  • Resource Timing will probably be landing today (finally!) (bug 1002855)
    • e10 support isn’t there yet but should happen within a week or two.

Performance (vladan)

No update this week

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

11:04 lmandel: sydpolk: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-09-30
11:05 sydpolk: thx!
11:05 KaiRo: cpeterson: I guess you didn't reload, otherwise I would have done a very brief stability update
11:06 cpeterson: KaiRo: OK, we can jump back to you
11:06 KaiRo: cpeterson: ok, thanks
11:12 ctalbert: snorp: yay for that network link fix \o/
11:12 snorp: ctalbert: yeah seriously
11:12 snorp: ctalbert: bagder had a hell of a time landing it
11:13 KaiRo: milan_: other than getting more people to test Aurora, I don't know too much of what we could do better
11:14 lizzard: kaiRo: yeah, i think people with older computers may not be rushing to run Nightly
11:14 milan_: KaiRo: yeah, that's what I'm afraid of
11:14 milan_: we have webgl performance work coming up, and XP is a fairly large target, so it'll get interesting trying to do it without completely messing them up :)
11:15 KaiRo: milan_: of course, the amount of crashes that have been reported as OOM|small but weren't really OOM has not helped, but we finally should have fixed the largest issue with that
11:16 RyanVM|sheriffduty: snorp: I try ;)
11:16 snorp: RyanVM|sheriffduty: it found actual bugs!
11:16 snorp: testing works yay!
11:16 RyanVM|sheriffduty: our tests work! \m/
11:18 KaiRo: milan_: FWIW, you probably heard that we had reftests failing with OMTC off, I asked User Advocacy and it looks like they can confirm that users have been reporting more rendering issues last week as well, so that matches as well :)

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-09-3011:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

23-September-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-09-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lmandel)

Next Merge: October 13, 2014 Next Release: October 14, 2014
Trains
Central: 35 Aurora: 34 Beta: 33 Release: 32
  • Desktop 32.0.2 shipped last Thursday, included a fix for a start-up crash. Crash rates on release are now back to pre 29 levels. (That’s good.)
  • 33 beta6 shipped today (desktop and mobile)
  • only 3 betas left! We need your fixes. See the 33 tracked bugs list

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 4.17 (last week: 3.66).
  • Android and B2G continue to dominate the top of the list. bug 906716 (B2G emulator “timed out after 1000 seconds of no output”) is #1 by a 2:1 margin.
  • 17 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List (16 the week prior) – Thanks!.
    • Thanks to Rail Aliiev for fixing bug 1047760, a long-running issue that affected all builds running on AWS.

MemShrink (njn)

  • No update.

Stability (kairo)

<Read Only>

  • Release crash rates have improved significantly since we released 32, almost back to levels we had before shipping 29
  • Beta crash rates are still ~25% worse than they were right before we shipped 32, we’ll try to turn off OMTC and see if that makes up for the difference and which crash signatures this affects. In 34, we’ll have better tooling to analyze the crashes around OOM, which are a large chunk of those (somewhat expected as OMTC needs more memory).
  • Desktop Nightly shows a number of e10s crashes. Please let us know if you see crashes of the whole browser at startup, as those are must-fix before enabling it.
  • Android Beta needs someone in GFX to look into getting a patch for bug 1067018.
  • Android Nightly needs someone to fix ImageLib bug 1069369, which accounts for >50% of our crashes there.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

A*Team (jgriffin)

  • The A-Team is working on Q4 goals. If you’d like us to work on something in Q4, and it doesn’t appear anywhere on our Trello board at https://trello.com/b/3BjXQCEp/projects, please contact me!

Developer Tools (prouget)

<Read Only>

  • devtools overhead (Fx Desktop E10S & FxOS): from 7-8MB to 2-3MB.
  • Simulator 2.2 released. 2.0 and 2.1 updated.

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey/blake/jimm/cpeterson)

  • We’re currently working on Milestone 3 bugs – M3 Bug List
  • Please help dogfood e10s in Nightly!
  • Notable bugs fixed in the last week:
    • bug 899347 – Click-to-play support
    • bug 1067164 – Opening external links in e10s results in empty tab (regression, fixed by backout)
    • bug 1067351 – Fixed file upload crash (e.g. attaching patches to Bugzilla!)
    • bug 1064847 – Fixed YouTube video playback
    • bug 1068210 – Crashed tab’s “Try Again” button reloads just the current page to avoid browser hang

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can see the status of the current iteration (35.2) in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Loop Firefox Account login UI will be in tomorrow’s Nightly
  • Team landed 82 bugs over the last week, for the first half of the 35.2 iteration.
  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Priorities for the upcoming iteration

  • e10s on Nightly
  • Loop:
    • finalize accounts/contacts work
    • UX: design spike looking into “collaboration” use cases
  • “Panic button”: better-exposed “Clear Recent History” functionality
  • “Reset button on the web”: a mechanism to prompt users to reset Firefox when they try to download Firefox when already running the latest version
  • OS X Yosemite themeing work
  • New tab page performance investigations
  • Places performance work (main thread IO removal)
  • Translation trial followup

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings from the past week

Nightly (35)
  • [guest] Provide an indicator for guest mode in the UI ( Bug 897711 )
  • Add support for element.style[“css-property-name”] non-standard extension ( Bug 958887 )
  • Add android:summary text to settings ( Bug 965377 )
  • Remove margins on default home screen panels ( Bug 1022472 )
  • Clearing timer in Firefly shutdown is racy and not needed ( Bug 1042513 )
  • [Roku] Add marketing messages and imagery to the Firefox Roku channel ( Bug 1056040 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: uriString at android.net.Uri$StringUri.<init>(Uri.java) ( Bug 1062904 )
  • Update Remote Tabs static panel styling for portrait phones ( Bug 1063765 )
  • Regression: missing thumbnails in top sites; thumbnails replaced with tiny Favicons ( Bug 1063896 )
  • Lost the ability to collapse (and then expand) a device’s tab set in the synced tabs panel ( Bug 1064304 )
  • Default specific prefs for ‘Firefox Confidential’ ( Bug 1064947 )
  • Add “version” (and “channel”?), nix “source” in about:feedback submission ( Bug 1066062 )
  • Can not install web apps; ” A coding exception was thrown and uncaught in a Task. Gecko: Full message: TypeError: aMessage.app.updateManifest is undefined” ( Bug 1066604 )
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error reading list.txt at org.mozilla.search.providers.SearchEngineManager.getAllEngines(SearchEngineManager.java) ( Bug 1067026 )
  • crash in android.content.res.Resources$NotFoundException: Resource is not a Drawable (color or path): TypedValue{t=0x1/d=$ a=3 r=$} at android.content.res.Resources.loadDrawable(Resources.java) ( Bug 1067429 )
  • Android action handler ‘Send tab to': Don’t offer ‘Reading list’ action if it has been turned off (low-memory devices) ( Bug 1067543 )
  • Fix OOM crash in gfxAlphaBoxBlur::Init on large blur surface ( Bug 1067998 )
  • ‘New Tablet UI’ preference available on phones ( Bug 1068005 )
  • [roku] add a ‘beta’ label to the Roku channel until client code hits ‘release’ ( Bug 1068573 )
  • Firefox :: Options popup could not be closed by pressing * btn ( Bug 1068641 )
  • Unable to exit out of Guest Browsing via system notification ( Bug 1069182 )

Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_CONNECTIVITY_GROUP/2014-09-23

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
    • BLE API discussion on dev-webapi
    • NFC workweek(9/15 ~ 9/19) @ Berlin. Shawn and Jamin gave two talks related to BT/NFC applications.
    • Current status of PTS test for Firefox OS 2.1
      • bug 1064733 – BlueZ – All bugs have been resolved fixed and verified.
      • bug 1064739 – Bluedroid – 7 blockers.
    • bug 1062697 – AVRCP metadata doesn’t update on carkit – patch ready (2.0?)
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
    • bug 1053051 – When operate I-frame seek, video player position was not changed – r+ (2.0?)
    • bug 1059679 – BT headset can not play music when do some operates – WIP (2.0?)
    • bug 1033903 – Use GraphicBuffer with android::MediaCodec to reduce the overhead of memcpy video data – WIP (2.2 feat?)
  • Device Storage (members: Alphan Chen, Eden Chuang)
    • bug 1060196 – Should forbid ejecting SD card when user is playing music which is stored in SD card – landed (2.1+)
    • Next week team will start to do the initial survey of supporting “Apps on SD card” for Firefox OS. The target will be 2.2.

Firefox OS RIL (htsai)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_RIL_team/2014-09-23#Team_memebers.27_updates

GFX (milan)

<Read Only>

  • Work week: OMTC+Tiling+APZ

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Loop had a server failure over the weekend (database full). Making sure that doesn’t happen again
  • Continuing to clean up OpenH264 and Screensharing issues for launch in 33
    • Set initial default allowed_domains for screensharing; created a process for adding people
      • We want the need for this to go away as soon as possible
  • b2g 2.0 webrtc whack-a-mole
    • Waiting on a drop with new DSP firmware to allow H.264 resolution changes
    • Hardware AEC support looks like it will work
  • Working on hooking WebAudio to WebRTC PeerConnection inputs (outputs already work)
    • Chrome has the opposite problem ATM
  • Prototype patch to up getUserMedia audio sample rate to 32K (want 44100/48000)

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • HTTP/2 is now on aurora, so far things are sticking and going well!
  • Alt-svc support almost done (bug 1003448)
  • Network change detection very close–hoping it will land any day now :) (bug 939318)
  • Network predictor also getting close but probably won’t be done by end of Q3

Performance (vladan)

Fixes:

  • bug 1038342: Firefox will now trigger a crash if shutdown hangs for more than a minute
  • bug 937306: Properly fixed our WaitMessage use on Windows. This should address user reports of pages not loading unless the user is moving the mouse. Needed for OMTC to be enabled on Windows for Firefox 33.
  • bug 768802: Some good news: Flash 15 fixed a long-standing Flash bug that caused it to steal browser focus whenever the plugin process was launch or relaunched. This bug has plagued users for over 2 years, ever since Flash protected-mode was released.
  • bug 918317: A C++ version of AsyncShutdown is now available
  • bug 998863: Patch for fixing #1 cause of Firefox multi-second hangs (initialization of out-of-process plugins) will land soon. Please keep an eye out for plugin-related crashes over the next month. Contact aklotz or vladan if you spot any

Telemetry:

  • bug 1045108: Unclaimed Telemetry probes will expire in Firefox 40! Please correct the expiration version yourself or comment in bug 1045108, or contact rvitillo or vladan. The unclaimed probes will stop collecting data!
  • bug 1067372: We’re adding new meta fields to Histograms.json for better automated regression detection

Misc:

Ongoing perf work:

  • The performance of the new tab animation and the newtab page have regressed considerably since Australis first landed. Fx-team and Perf team will be meeting to work on this in MV on September 29th. See bug 1059558 etc.
  • Work on improving performance of the Places system together with the fx-team bug 834545, bug 1043863, etc
  • Measuring impact of GC & CC on Firefox UI animation smoothness bug 1017055

Seceng (tanvi)

  • Added load information (loadInfo) to all gecko created channels bug 1038756

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

10:36 KaiRo: Sylvestre, lmandel: I also filled in the bug number for the AsyncShutdown stuff and nominated it for tracking
10:39 bsmedberg: KaiRo: did you ping yoric about it?
10:39 lmandel: KaiRo: Thanks. I'm going to mention the crash level in the engineering meeting unless you want to do it.
10:43 KaiRo: bsmedberg: I did and he didn't respond in #developers so I put a ni? on him right now, as well as on gfritzsche, who worte a patch around shutdown stuff in the location where this is in
10:43 KaiRo: lmandel: sure, if you do that, I can go read-only for this meeting, I think
10:43 bsmedberg: ok thanks
10:45 KaiRo: Bas is asking who it was he should ping for the OMTC disabling patch
10:46 KaiRo: bsmedberg: who did offer to help Bas with the disabling patch?
10:46 bsmedberg: I don't know
10:47 KaiRo: so it isn't just me who doesn't remember that part
10:48 KaiRo: oh, I guess they talked about RyanVM
11:01 KaiRo: cpeterson: I'm going read-only for today's meeting even though my written update isn't completely short, but lmandel will cover the important desktop beta part
11:01 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok
11:01 lmandel: KaiRo: desktop beta?
11:02 KaiRo: lmandel: the stuff around OMTC is what you wanted to mention, right? or the release part?
11:02 lmandel: KaiRo: Oh. OMTC.
11:02 tanvi: is the physical room in sf warfield?
11:02 lmandel: KaiRo: I was going to just mention that crash rates on release are back to pre 29 levels.
11:02 lmandel: KaiRo: I can talk about OMTC as well.
11:02 RyanVM|sheriffduty: lmandel: just pushed to beta, fwiw
11:02 KaiRo: lmandel: ah, ok. not sure if it's needed in detail as we just discussed it with gfx anyhow
11:05 lmandel: RyanVM|sheriffduty: Thanks
11:05 vladan: lmandel: what were the causes for the spike in crashes? 
11:05 RyanVM|sheriffduty: i'm here, but fine with not doing an audio update
11:05 RyanVM|sheriffduty: apparently forgot to save his update on the wiki too
11:07 cpeterson: RyanVM: do you want us to jump back to you?
11:09 jesup: autocrash on hanging shutdown: \o/
11:10 vladan: jesup: :)

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-09-2311:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

22-September-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-09-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:19 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre/lmandel)

Next Merge: October 13, 2014 Next Release: October 14, 2014
Trains
Central: 35 Aurora: 34 Beta: 33 Release: 32
  • 32.0.1 updates disabled today, maybe 32.0.2…we’ll see
    • candidate driver: bug 1063052 Firefox 32 startup crash in nsFrame::BoxReflow
  • Beta4 desktop releases today, mobile tomorrow
  • Beta5 (desktop) go to build Thursday
  • Beta6 (desktop and mobile) go to build Monday

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

  • Saturday, September 20, is the Tree Closing Window. See bug 1065514 for details. hg.mozilla.org will be offline for a period of time, so trees will be closed. This is likely to be from 0900-1300PT, but time will be confirmed on Wednesday. Look for the notice with final times later this week.

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

  • No update.

Stability (kairo)

  • We just halted 32.0.1 updates due to bug 1063052.
  • Beta still has GFX issues on both desktop (OMTC/D3D11) and Android (AlphaBoxBlur bug 1028802).
  • Prompt for e10s on Nightly triggered us seeing a lot of e10s crashes, we need a lot of work there until we’ll be able to ship anything there or even turn on by default.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

A*Team (jgriffin)

<Read Only>

Blog and newsgroup posts:

Desktop Platform (bsmedberg)

<Read Only>
Mac V2 signing work is our top priority and we hope to have that on nightly next week.

Developer Tools (prouget/bgrins)

DOM (jst/overholt)

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

  • Please help dogfood e10s in Nightly!
  • e10s bugs fixed in the last week: http://is.gd/ksQL9N
  • To get more testing from Nightly users:
    • bug 1064885 – Added e10s opt-in prompt in Nightly
    • bug 1064886 – Added “Enable E10S” checkbox in Firefox Preferences pane
    • Disable e10s if a11y (bug 1047076) or safe mode bug 1063848 are enabled (to avoid known issues, for now)
    • We might enable e10s for all Nightly users (for just one day) to get broader testing during Nightly 35. So now is a good time to report any critical e10s bugs you are seeing.

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can see the status of the current iteration (35.1) in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 42 bugs over the last week, to close out the 35.1 iteration.
  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings from the past week

Nightly (35)
  • Lightweight theme preview is broken ( Bug 887755 )
  • Synchronous initialization of search service when handling open search tag ( Bug 1017903 )
  • [Roku] Removing an entry from history will only take effect after restarting the Roku app ( Bug 1025923 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.home.PinSiteDialog$3.onFocusChange(PinSiteDialog.java) ( Bug 1041448 )
  • crash in mozilla::layers::TileClient::GetBackBuffer(nsIntRegion const&, mozilla::layers::TextureClientPool*, bool*, bool) ( Bug 1041744 )
  • about:home is unresponsive to hardware menu button on returning to main activity on 2.3 devices ( Bug 1058027 )
  • Regression: Back button icon missing in menu on some small screen (?) hardware (?) devices ( Bug 1062338 )
  • “Learn More” link for the Mozilla Location Service is visible on Beta/Release despite MLS setting not available ( Bug 1063518 )
  • crash in webrtc::ViEInputManager::NumberOfCaptureDevices() ( Bug 1063547 )
  • [roku] update wording in the public roku channel app ( Bug 1064222 )
  • Search activity startup crash @ java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Couldnt find search engine for identifier: yahoo at org.mozilla.search.providers.SearchEngineManager.createEngine(SearchEngineManager.java) ( Bug 1065123 )
  • crash in java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: android.os.Bundle.getString at org.mozilla.gecko.preferences.GeckoPreferences.setupPreferences(GeckoPreferences.java) ( Bug 1065531 )
  • Regression: Downloading is broken ( Bug 1066671 )

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
    • BLE API discussion on dev-webapi
    • Shawn and Jamin will participate in NFC workweek from 9/15 ~ 9/19 and will give two talks related to BT/NFC applications.
    • PTS test for Firefox OS 2.1 (current aurora) has begun. Jocelyn is the owner this time and will co-work with TPE QA.
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
    • bug 1064376 – [KK] Regression in playing few clips on v2.1 – landed (2.1+)
    • bug 1039182 – Add getGrapicBuffer interface to MediaCodecProxy – landed
    • bug 1036849 – Video part in MP4 DASH on B2G does not work – WIP
  • Device Storage (members: Alphan Chen, Eden Chuang)
    • bug 1060196 – Should forbid ejecting SD card when user is playing music which is stored in SD card – feedback+ (2.1+)

Firefox OS RIL (htsai)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_RIL_team/2014-09-16

GFX (milan)

  • Proposed high level priorities for graphics for the next few releases (e.g., 35-38) are being discussed (and possibly modified) by product and execs. The proposed list top five – let’s see if it changes:
    • E10S support
    • B2G memory usage and performance
    • APZ on B2G: Project Silk support, OOP support, “fake overscroll”
    • WebGL Desktop performance
    • WebGL Mobile performance

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Compiler (JIT)
    • bug 1062869: Add ability to execute recover instructions ahead of bailouts. This improves Scalar Replacement for arguments given to multi-basic-block inlined functions. This also one step forward to “eager” escape analysis.
    • bug 894596: Patch to allow inlining global variable values. Investigating possible performance regressions associated with the patch.

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Fixed problem with Webrtc and H.264 under very high packet loss (bug 1054624)
  • Resolved Screensharing issues on Windows due to multiple threads (MediaManager, D3D9 in gfx/compositor) which made windows calls without running on a Windows messageloop – thanks jimm!
  • working on policy for additions to screensharing whitelist
  • ScreenSharing now *must* occur from an https: site for security/privacy reasons

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • No update this week.

Performance (vladan)

Update next week

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

11:02 cpeterson: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-09-16
11:05 bsmedberg: blassey: jimm: I'll be following up with you later about the e10s crashes
11:05 blassey: ok
11:06 lmandel: bsmedberg: I see readonly update about v2 sigs. Do you want to tell people what that means?
11:06 cpeterson: e10s content crashes are up about 100x since the e10s opt-in prompt
11:06 bsmedberg: lmandel: not really, do you think I need to?
11:06 lmandel: bsmedberg: Only if you think people will be impacted in their work.
11:07 lmandel: bsmedberg: We should probably call out when this is done so that people know.
11:07 KaiRo: hmm, do I only voip badly in those larger meetings? I didn't hear complaints in the smaller ones I'm usually in
11:07 bsmedberg: I think rstrong will be sending an email around to dev.platform when the current oranges/issues are solved before we actually flip things over
11:07 lmandel: KaiRo: You were fine in the channel meeting.
11:07 lmandel: bsmedberg: k
11:08 KaiRo: lmandel: ok, maybe the added traffic of more people on the meeting tips it over or so
11:09 KaiRo: btw, "Firefox is not starting now" seems to be a quite common issue with e10s
11:09 armenzg_mtg: cpeterson, I will mention it here
11:09 armenzg_mtg: I tried e10s on Linux Desktop nightly recently and it was a pretty awful experience
11:10 armenzg_mtg: enabling it by default even for one day will be pretty terrible for nightly testers
11:10 KaiRo: snorp: did you get a crash reporter at all for that non-starting thing with e10s?
11:10 snorp: KaiRo: yeah, standby, will paste
11:11 snorp: https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/c5ef1fca-fde0-44c8-95ef-680052140916
11:11 KaiRo: snorp: ok, good to know, startup crashes sound like the first thing we need to fix
11:11 snorp: yes.
11:11 armenzg_mtg: cpeterson, what is the preferred way to give feedback about e10s?
11:11 KaiRo: xpc::AddonWindowOrNull
11:11 KaiRo: sounds like fun with add-ons
11:12 cpeterson: armenzg_mtg: you can mention e10s problems in #e10s or just file a bug. Be sure to include the word "e10s" in your bug summary so our e10s triage queries will find it!
11:13 dveditz: armenzg: there's a link to file bugs at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis#Contributing
11:13 armenzg: cpeterson, dveditz thank you gentlemen - I will dog food again
11:13 dveditz: also descriptions of known issues and links to known bugs for dupe finding
11:13 dveditz: on that page
11:13 dveditz: I mean a link to a query
11:14 KaiRo: snorp: can you file this one? sounds like this specific signature only exists today
11:14 snorp: KaiRo: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1068163
11:14 cpeterson: armenzg: TBH, if you had e10s crash problems, you might want to wait a day before dogfooding again for some recent fixes to make their way to mozilla-central and then Nightly builds.
11:15 KaiRo: snorp: awesome, thanks. the signature seems to be all only today's build. fun.
11:15 snorp: KaiRo: yay
11:15 armenzg: cpeterson, I'm good with crashes - IIRC I was having responsiveness issues
11:15 cpeterson: armenzg: oh, that problem has not been fixed yet <:)
11:15 snorp: heh
11:15 snorp: cpeterson: what causes it
11:16 snorp: shouldn't it be *more* responsive
11:16 armenzg: cpeterson, k thanks
11:16 armenzg: snorp, in some cases :P
11:16 cpeterson: snorp: I don't know the cause, but there is likely some IPC bottleneck between parent and content process.
11:17 cpeterson: snorp: the browser should be more responsive (because its UI thread is not blocked on content as much), but all tabs run in the same process that can block each other.

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-09-1611:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Mozilla Platform: 2014-09-09

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:18 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lmandel)

Next Merge: October 13, 2014 Next Release: October 14, 2014
Trains
Central: 35 Aurora: 34 Beta: 33 Release: 32
  • Desktop: Remaining throttled until Thu as we investigate candidate 32.0.1 drivers
  • Android: Going to build with 32.0.1 today.
    • Driver
    • Ride along candidates:
      • bug 1063971 setRemoteDescription call without success-callback freezes PeerConnection queue (FF32 regression)
      • bug 1064247 FF32 generates invalid a=fmtp:0 profile-level-id fmtp
  • 33 beta 2 ships today
  • 33 beta 3 desktop – gtb Thu
  • 33 beta 4 desktop/mobile – gtb Mon
  • Firefox 32 post mortem, Tue Sep 16, 2014, 10am PT, ReleaseCoordination Vidyo

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 3.44 (last week: 5.01).
  • The top of the list is mostly dominated by mobile failures, both B2G and Android.
  • Waiting on Aurora approval requests for MediaStreamGraph refactor fixes that were causing frequent oranges.
  • 16 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

MemShrink (njn)

  • Boris Zbarsky fixed a bad memory leak. If you were seeing ghost windows in your Nightly build recently, this is probably the reason. The patch has been backported to Aurora.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Release has about 10% of all crashes in three bugs that are somewhat concerning: bug 1062452 (~5%, GFX), bug 1063048 (~3%, GFX), bug 1063052 (~1%, Layout)
  • Desktop Beta has high crash rates due to multiple GFX crashes in the top ranges, probably OMTC/D3D11 work
  • Mobile Beta has two GFX bugs that cause bad crash rates: bug 1028802 (was supposed to be fixed in 33 but isn’t), bug 1041744

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

A*Team (jgriffin)

<Read Only>

Blog and newsgroup posts:

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • Service Worker hackathon is on (in Arlington)!
  • DOM Window bindings are here to stay (no more pref).

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

  • Please help dogfood e10s in Nightly!
  • This week, more fixes landed for browser usability and add-ons
  • List of tested add-ons (compatible and incompatible): http://arewee10syet.com

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

<Read Only>

Team meetings in Toronto last week

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can find the most recently completed iteration (34.3) performance report here
  • You can see the status of the current iteration (35.1) in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 31 bugs over the last week, for the first half of the 35.1 iteration.
  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Fx 34 Demos:

  • No longer freezing with findbar on huge pages
  • Lightweight theme switching from customize mode
  • Screen/app sharing
  • Loop FxA – login backend and toolbar button states
  • Remoting about: pages
  • parsing search URLs to show search terms in awesomebar results

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

Work In Progress

  • WebRTC OpenGL on Roku – fixing and tweaking
  • Moz Stumbler is almost there. Needs a permission bump to land.
  • Remote Tabs home panelbug 1014994expected to land by EOW
  • Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
    • Stream transfer rate and memory profiling metrics

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings from the past week

Nightly (35)
  • Remove gradients from form elements ( Bug 763671 )
  • Regression: Browser menu has width issues ( Bug 1020505 )
  • Taps are offset on some devices ( Bug 1046017 )
  • Not obvious that browser menu is scrollable on small screen devices ( Bug 1048300 )
  • Browser menu missing dividers in Android L Preview ( Bug 1050780 )
  • Change ‘Cast to’ term to ‘Send to ‘ in-product ( Bug 1054912 )
  • Crash on stop attempt after display wake up – java.lang.NullPointerException @ org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast.end(ChromeCast.java:254) ( Bug 1055020 )
  • [Roku] tapping the back button on Android doesn’t dismiss the ‘cast to device’ dialogue ( Bug 1055484 )
  • Too many differing background greys throughout the browser ( Bug 1055536 )
  • crash NPE in: Attempt to invoke interface method void org.mozilla.gecko.util.EventCallback.sendSuccess(java.lang.Object) on a null object reference at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast$VideoPlayCallback.onStatusUpdated(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1055553 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast$VideoPlayCallback.onStatusUpdated(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1055554 )
  • Kindle: No way to remove Firefox account ( Bug 1056707 )
  • WEBGL_draw_buffers extension incorrectly exposed in Firefox on some GLES3 devices ( Bug 1056947 )
  • Telemetry for search widget buttons ( Bug 1057613 )
  • java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: android.net.ConnectivityManager.isActiveNetworkMetered ( Bug 1057626 )
  • Cut function in a readonly textarea ( Bug 1060423 )
  • Notify Gecko when browser history is cleared from HistoryPanel ( Bug 1060678 )
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Already registered Wifi:Enable at org.mozilla.gecko.EventDispatcher.registerListener(EventDispatcher.java) ( Bug 1061030 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.overlays.ui.ShareDialog.slideOut(ShareDialog.java) ( Bug 1061685 )
  • Autophone – webappstartup test does not run ( Bug 1062097 )
  • Menu share icon is misaligned to the right ( Bug 1062231 )
  • Regression: No context menu action is invoked on long-tapping some links ( Bug 1062307 )
  • Use empty string as title if no title provided when adding a bookmark ( 1062552 Bug 1062552 )
  • Casting video is disabled on Beta ( Bug 1063893 )

Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)

<Read Only>

    1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_CONNECTIVITY_GROUP/2014-09-09

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
    • Woodduck Bluetooth bring-up issues
    • The team has begun BLE API implementation
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
    • bug 1033915 – Integrate MP3FrameParser with MediaCodecReader – landed (2.1 feat+)
      • MediaCodec integration (pref off) has been done after this was landed.
    • MSE for Firefox OS has been removed from v2.1 after discussion with related people.
  • Device Storage (members: Alphan Chen, Eden Chuang)
    • bug 1061117 – Screenshot/take pictures would let device reboot when MTP enabled – r+ (2.1+)

GFX (milan)

  • Direct2D issues in play: some on the release channel (e.g., unrelated to OMTC), may need to play with the blacklist
  • Current work in progress
    • Tiling on desktop
    • WebGL performance
    • B2G 2.0, 2.1
  • Working with PMs on the priorities for 36-39 releases.

Layout (jet/dbaron)

  • CSS Working Group F2F meeting now in progress.
  • Issues from last week’s heavy landings now fixed (bug 967844,bug 1059033)
  • bug 931668 Big perf wins from new style system optimizations
  • bug 997101 App startup perf wins (re-)landed after race condition removal bug 1063073
  • bug 1022825 CSSOM Smooth Scrolling for APZ platforms (like B2G)

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Continuing cleanup from MediaStreamGraph refactor (bug 848954)
  • Windows UI-loop screensharing fixes almost ready
  • Accidental disabling in FF32 of a permissive response to sites that didn’t include success/failure callbacks to setRemoteDescription() (spec violation, but common in examples); fix landed and noiminated for any 32.1.
    • patch to warn people we’re going to deprecate spec-non-compliance ready
  • Dealing with some final B2G 2.0 issues with WebRTC/OMX video codecs/HW AEC at QC’s request to cut CPU use
  • Lots of work on Loop!
    • Loop is slated to be disabled in Beta/33 soon.
    • Planning to ride the train to release in 34

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • bug 936814: Resource Timing cross-origin requests finally working. A few (easier to fix) bugs and we’ll be able to finally expose Resource Timing to the DOM.
  • Google.com HTTP/2 kerfuffle: they turned on some of their services with a broken HTTP/2 implementation that worked with Chrome (also broken) but not Nightly (spec-compliant). They backed off and reverted to HTTP/1.1 for now

Performance (vladan)

No update

Seceng (ckerschb)

  • New CSP backend (compiled code) is on average 15x faster than old one that we removed in Fx 34.

Shumway (tschneidereit)

  • New version of Shumway merged, still off by default, to Nightly 35. To test, flip “shumway.disabled” pref to false.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting



Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-09-0911:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Mozilla Platform: 2014-09-02

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:16 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lmandel)

Next Merge: TODAY Next Release: October 14, 2014
Trains
Central: 35 Aurora: 34 Beta: 33 Release: 32
  • It’s release day! Firefox 32 is live.
    • Tracking for Fennec 32: bug 1060009 – Investigate native crash at /dev/ashmem/libmozalloc.so reported on Google Play
  • Firefox ESR 24.8.0 and 31.1.0 are also live.
    • This is the last release for ESR24. This means we’re back to a single ESR31 train.
  • Next up
    • 33 beta1 is scheduled to ship on Thursday
    • 34 aurora updates are scheduled to be re-enabled on Friday
  • Reminder that the merge is happening today

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 5.01 (last week: 3.67).
  • Lots of fallout from pre-uplift landings (B2G feature landings, MediaStreamGraph refactor, etc) along with more infra issues.
  • Widespread Android 4.0 failures continue to be a problem – now being tracked in bug 1059797.
  • 23 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

CritSmash (dbolter)

  • another week in the right direction :)

MemShrink (njn)

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

<Read Only>

  • [Overall numbers] look OK for 32 beta and 31 release.
    • 33 still has high numbers of Graphics crashes, probably mostly due to OMTC. Also, bug 1061693 tracking D3D11 crashes might be relevant.
    • 34 had a spike of OOM|small crashes, but hopefully bug 1053934 fixed that before moving to Aurora.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

B2G Services (dougt)

This has been merged into Cloud Services.

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can see the status of the current iteration (35.1) in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 50 bugs over the last week, to close out the 34.3 iteration.
  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

Work In Progress

  • Chromecast – continuing to bug fix based on nightly feedback
  • WebRTC OpenGL on Roku, tab sharing support bug 1048425
  • Experimenting with Bing as the default search engine – bug 1049108
  • Remote Tabs home panel bug 1014994,first patches have landed
  • Moz Stumbler should be landing in nightly this week.
  • Tablet refresh: Continuing to progress
    • bug 1046200 – Create BrowserApp.isNewTablet()
    • bug 1047561 – Create settings UI for enabling the new tablet UI
    • bug 1048575 – Disable dynamic toolbar when in new tablet UI
  • Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
    • Client connection speed assessment

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings from the past week

Nightly (35)
  • Add telemetry for Settings usage ( Bug 996753 )
  • “Clear Private Data” does not clear “Recently closed tabs” from Recent Tabs ( Bug 1031273 )
  • Auto complete pop up doesn’t go away ( Bug 1037353 )
  • Share overlay request backend: stage 1 ( Bug 1044794 )
  • Tapping the branding logo in the browser widget opens a new tab ( Bug 1048545 )
  • Crash in gfxContext::PushNewDT (OOM) with reproducible test-case (reddit.com) ( Bug 1053934 )
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Not connected. Call connect() and wait for onConnected() to be called. at com.google.android.gms.internal.hc.ci(Unknown Source) ( Bug 1055012 )
  • Flash doesn’t work on Android L ( Bug 1055166 )
  • JavaScript Error: “this._items[aData] is undefined” {file: “resource://gre/modules/PageActions.jsm” line: 57}] ( Bug 1055212 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast.verifySession(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1057866 )
  • Specify main activity org.mozilla.fennec.App with a default intent over org.mozilla.search.MainActivity ( Bug 1058160 )
  • Default search engine probe recording null instead of “other” ( Bug 1058352 )
  • network error pages (about:neterror) have “XML Parsing Error: undefined entity” – due to Bug 1042196 ( Bug 1059096 )
  • Don’t set noHistory for onboarding activity ( Bug 1059440 )
  • Regression: Thin pixel bar present next to the back button on tablets in the new toolbar ( Bug 1059450 )

Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_CONNECTIVITY_GROUP/2014-09-02

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Gonk team (led by Thomas Tsai)
    • Team Summary
      • TBD
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
    • We have received many inputs about “Entering Bluetooth page then Settings app crashes”, after investigation we found it’s a regression of a Gaia change bug 1032071.
    • bug 1060216 – BluetoothAdapter.discovering wouldn’t be updated after calling startDisocovery or stopDisocovery – landed (1.4+)
    • bug 1059136 – Expose Adapter Bluetooth Uuids field – landed (1.4+)
    • bug 1060229 – Get/SetProperty DiscoveryTimeout failed due to missing property length – landed (1.4+)
    • bug 1056413 – Pairing devices after cancelling results in unresponsive page – landed (2.0+)
    • bug 929376 – Content process should be able to use API: BluetoothManager.IsConnected() – landed (2.1+)
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
    • bug 1033915 – Integrate MP3FrameParser with MediaCodecReader – r+ (2.1 feat+)
    • bug 1046578 – [Loop] In a call the audio is very low – WIP (2.0+)
    • Blake is co-working with Anthony Jones to make MSE work on Flame. There are still 4 issues need to be resolved.
  • Device Storage (members: Alphan Chen, Eden Chuang)
    • Eden Chuang, SW engineer onboard on 9/1, will join this group.
    • The user story of MTP has been verified and closed. Thanks to Alphan and Dave Hylands.
    • TPE QA Alison has started testing MTP on Flame and has filed several issues.

Firefox OS RIL (htsai)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_RIL_team/2014-09-02

GFX (milan)

  • Summary of 34 goals called out on 7/22, with status:
    • Desktop plans for 34:
      • bug 1036457 tracks having OMTC on Windows ride the 34 train – still looking good, and actually riding 33 train.
      • bug 993639 towards full E10S support – a number of the blockers for this meta have been fixed, all by non-Graphics team engineers.
      • bug 1015218 Linux move to GTK3 – done
    • Firefox OS plans for 34:
      • bug 989403 transform: scale(X) not being repainted when assigned to – done
      • bug 967844 support multi-layer APZ controllers – late landing (weekend work by N.Z., on inbound now), may need an uplift.
      • bug 1016539 color related (b&w, invert, contrast) accessibility features – done, but Gaia work has not landed yet.
    • Other active work not locked to 34:
      • bug 996611 Skia for content everywhere (where everywhere excludes D2D) – we believe we have all the bug fixes we want, and the rest of the failing tests will be fuzzed.
      • APZ on desktop – side project, ongoing.
      • tiling on desktop – ongoing, week of 9/22 is the current target for landing “something”.

JS (naveed)

  • Compiler (JIT)
    • bug 1059555: Found bug in js/src/SplayTree’s implementation of |forEach|. Fixed and landed.
    • bug 1057082: Landed generalize ProfilingFrameIterator and get it ready to support more frame types than just AsmJS frames.
    • bug 1046585: Finished removing js/src/assembler
    • bug 1056795: Optimized jit::ArrayPushDense
  • Garbage Collection
    • bug 995284: Made GC behvaiour deterministic in shell builds
  • Front End and Other
    • bug 894596: Patch to allow inlining global variable values (bug 894596)
    • Octanev2 benchmark had a minor change last week. AWFY updated to use latest Octane source.
    • bug 992267: Basic Odin SIMD support: implemented, reviewed, rebased, and landed \o/ – Great work Benjamin Bouvier and team

Layout (jet/dbaron)

Notable Landings

  • bug 967844 – (multi-layer-apz) Allow content from one scrollable element to fragment into multiple layers in order to fully support async scroll of out of flow content
  • bug 1059033 – TiledDrawTarget has a lot of overhead for some operations
  • bug 982338 – (osx-tiling) Use tiled thebes layers on OSX
  • bug 1033114 – Implement playback control on AnimationPlayer

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Landed the major MediaStreamGraph refactor to be driven off the audio output callbacks (bug 848954)
  • Bunch of screen-sharing and openh264 improvements/tweaks landed
    • Mac screenshare with multi-screen fixed
    • Pref to allow screenshare on XP and 10.6
    • Higher resolutions up to 1280×720@30 supported in OpenH264
    • Resolution adaptation due to load and bandwidth available now enabled for H.264
  • Major refactor of signaling code in webrtc (SIPCC) to tread-flatten it and remove dead or useless code
    • Should improve call connection rates considerably (we were getting bogged down in MainThread in things like multi-party TokBox calls)
    • No obvious significant regressions yet
    • Plugged a bunch of leaks
  • Turned off PeerConnection tests on B2G Debug emulator; it’s too slow to be useful
    • jgriffin hoping to move them to faster CPUs later this week; faster hardware if needed

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

Performance (vladan)

Blog posts:

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

10:58 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from me this week, I filled in a readonly and am watching on airmo.
10:58 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok, thanks
10:59 Noah_: Mossop: for example, under Based on Gecko 33, Firefox OS 1.4 - I see the date text overlapping "Currently in BETA channel"
10:59 Noah_: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases#Based_on_Gecko_33
11:00 Noah_: and more overlapping on various sections underneath that :/
11:02 cpeterson: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-09-02
11:03 KaiRo: isn't it always September on the Internet?
11:05 jorgev: heh
11:06 vladan: cpeterson:  i have an update
11:11 jesup: The media Mac issue was MP4 native support IIRC
11:15 jesup: I think you jsut have to disable it for long enough to log in; see comments on Yammer and elsewhere
11:15 jesup: re: http2/spdy
11:16 jesup: milan_: ^
11:16 KaiRo: yes, see http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2014/09/02/http2-interop-pains/
11:16 milan_: jesup: yup, thanks - it worked
11:16 jesup: np
11:17 milan_: jesup: but now I forgot why I was trying to get to google docs :)
11:17 jesup: just as well

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-09-0211:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Mozilla Platform: 2014-08-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:15 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lmandel)

Next Merge: September 2, 2014 Next Release: October 14, 2014
Trains
Central: 35 Aurora: 34 Beta: 33 Release: 32
  • Desktop RC1 ships today
  • Mobile beta10 ships today
  • Mobile RC gtb today
  • Desktop RC2 drivers
    • bug 1046645 [l10n] Test failure “There is a lock icon – ‘url(“chrome://browser/skin/identity-icons-https-mixed-display.png”)’ should contain ‘identity-icons-https.png'” in testDVCertificate.js
      • Results in warning icon being displayed instead of the padlock icon for sites with verified identities
      • Ed Lee is on this
    • bug 1058131 crash in mozilla::dom::Element::SetAttr(int, nsIAtom*, nsAString_internal const&, bool)
      • Top crash that looks to have been introduced in beta9 – current thinking is this is related to Avast
      • bz is on this
  • Can also use someone to investigate bug 1053999 crash in JS_TransplantObject(JSContext*, JS::Handle<JSObject*>, JS::Handle<JSObject*>)
    • startup and top crash
  • Reminders for this Thu, 10am PT (ReleaseCoordination Vidyo)
    • Release Sign Off
    • Aurora/Beta Feature Review
  • NEXT MERGE IS TUESDAY, SEP 2

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

  • HTTP caches deployed in AWS for build/test/symbols downloads – reduced bandwidth by 50%

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 3.67.
    • Due to changes in logging, numbers aren’t directly comparable to past numbers. Gory details explained in bug 1046162 comment 21 and down.
  • Hot bugs:
    • UNASSIGNED #1: bug 1054292 – Intermittent Android TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | remoteautomation.py | application timed out after 330 seconds with no output (“org.mozilla.fennec still alive after SIGABRT: waiting…”, [@ libc.so + 0xd1fc]).
      • Widespread failures make this difficult to handle.
    • UNASSIGNED #2: bug 1054456 – Intermittent Android talos command timed out: 3600 seconds without output running [‘/tools/buildbot/bin/python’, ‘scripts/scripts/android_panda_talos.py’, ‘–talos-suite’, ‘remote-tp4m_nochrome’, ‘–cfg’, ‘android/android_panda_talos_releng.py’, ‘ …
      • Failure rate high enough for hiding by default.
    • UNASSIGNED #3: bug 1033098 – Intermittent B2G runner.py | application crashed [@ mozilla::gl::GLBlitTextureImageHelper::BlitTextureImage(mozilla::gl::TextureImage*, nsIntRect const&, mozilla::gl::TextureImage*, nsIntRect const&)].
      • Will lead to Gaia Python Integration tests being hidden on OSX if not addressed soon.
  • 28 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.
    • Thanks to Jeff Gilbert and the Necko team for fixing various test issues with cache2 in time for it to ship with Fx32.
    • Thanks to Martijn Wargers for unearthing and fixing various test failures that weren’t previously being caught by the harness.

CritSmash (dbolter)

  • We’re looking good!

MemShrink (njn)

  • Robert O’Callahan optimized the handling of transparent text, which gives significant time and memory wins on some PDF files viewed with pdf.js.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

<Read Only>

  • Overall numbers have improved, but there’s still concerns:
    • Desktop Beta is still on the upper limit of what’s acceptable, see above for concrete bugs we need a look into.
    • Desktop Aurora still has a number of OMTC-related crashes in the top 10 that will need fixing before we can release with this feature turned on.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

A*Team (jgriffin)

  • The 1-week experiment to run debug tests on most desktop platforms every other push on mozilla-inbound is currently in progress. See dev.platform post.
  • –run-by-dir for mochitest-browser-chrome: only 1 bug left that needs attention before this can be turned on: bug 1041594.
  • The w3c web-platform-tests are coming! They will be enabled for linux64 opt on trunk trees this week; other platforms coming soon. James Graham will have a post to dev.platform explaining all the details.

App Tools (prouget)

<Read Only>

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

<Read Only>

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can find the most recently completed iteration (34.2) performance report here
  • You can see the status of the current iteration (34.3) in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 54 bugs over the last week, for the first half of the 34.3 iteration.
  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Firefox Platform (bsmedberg)

  • Nathan Froyd is now module owner of XPCOM!
  • Firefox self-support project is underway to provide better remediation options for broken Firefox – see the gdocs page for more details
  • Firefox update hotfix v2 (minor revision) will be deployed after Firefox 32 ships with some better diagnostics and logging features.

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

Work In Progress

  • Chromecast! Uplifting code and fixing crashers.
  • Home Feeds add-on improvements – bug 1046215
  • Telemetry for search and settings – bug 996753
  • Experimenting with Bing as the default search engine – bug 1049108
  • Remote Tabs home panel bug 1014994, first patches should be landing shortly
  • Tablet refresh: Continuing to progress
    • bug 1046200 – Create BrowserApp.isNewTablet()
    • bug 1047561 – Create settings UI for enabling the new tablet UI
    • bug 1048575 – Disable dynamic toolbar when in new tablet UI
  • Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
    • Janus Proxy – Cache improvements/more intelligent mechanics
    • Track bandwidth/processing delay dynamics

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings from the past week

Nightly (35)
  • Homepage contextual hint ( Bug 1021751 )
  • Lightweight first-run experience ( Bug 1042809 )
  • Blurry text on google search results ( Bug 1043961 )
  • Update Home Feeds add-on to address feedback requests ( Bug 1046215 )
  • ‘Paint flashing’ localizations need more space for text, gets cropped/truncated ( Bug 1048418 )
  • Regression: door-hangers and other images used in UI are transparent ( Bug 1055598 )

Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_CONNECTIVITY_GROUP/2014-08-26

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
    • bug 1052206 – [MADAI][Multimedia] Attached mp3 file is occurred tick noise – under investigation (2.0?)
    • All B2G Platform Decoder Module related code has landed.
      • MSE still doesn’t work well on B2G. Blake is cooperating with Chris Pearce to figure out the root cause.
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen)
    • MTP will be finally supported in nightly build after bug 964601 is fixed. (2.1 feat+)

Firefox OS RIL (htsai)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_RIL_team/2014-08-26

GFX (milan)

  • Desktop:
    • OMTC on Windows has a few issues remaining; it’s still riding 33 (Aurora), and we’re hoping that we can leave it there, a version ahead of the plan, by landing those fixes this week.

Firefox OS:

  • Features for 34/2.1 generally on track:
    • Vsync related work done in the Taipei graphics team is going to land behind pref, but we’re not drawing attention to it as it is a “preparatory” work anyway.
    • Multi-layer-apz work (bug 1026271) is going down to the wire. There is a bit more layout work to be completed in the prerequisite bug 967844, and that’s a sizable patch, so some of it may start behind a pref as well. On the other hand, this layout work is a prerequisite for async scrolling on desktop, so it’s worth the wait.

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Compiler (JIT)
  • Front End and Other
    • bug 896116: Bunch of work implementing %TypedArray% and %TypedArray%.prototype; Should save a little memory over having all typed array functions duplicated once per typed array class, also will allow self-hosting of typed array methods eventually; done with basically everything but xray support
    • Landed COW arrays

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • CSS font features (font-variant-* properties and @font-feature-values rule) now enabled on trunk, and font-feature-settings unprefixed (bug 975744)
  • Unicode database tables updated to version 7 (bug 1057548)
  • imgIContainer::Draw refactoring landed (bug 1043560), improving numerical accuracy (rounding), and paving the way for future improvements such as downsample-on-decode and media fragments

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Massive MediaStreamGraph refactoring to make it driven off the output audio pulls should land today/tomorrow (bug 848954)
    • Should reduce latency and improve quality
    • likely will be some regressions
  • AppSharing (share all windows of an app) likely will land today
  • Most of RTPSender.replaceTrack() landed; the rest should land in the next day or so
    • enables camera switching in a live call

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • Landed B2G app set offline/online on a per-app basis (no UI to set it yet): bug 786419
  • Landed 1st version (windows-only) of NetworkLinkService detection: bug 939318
    • should help with lame-network hangs (airplane wifi, etc).

Performance (vladan)

No update this week

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

11:02 lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-08-26
11:02 davidb: overholt, that is a fantastic shirt
11:03 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from me, but Notices/Schedule has two bugs we need work on
11:04 overholt: davidb, thanks :)
11:04 lmandel: KaiRo: Thanks
11:04 KaiRo: lmandel: oh, you're leading, so no voice update from me, as you mentioned the two issues in your section anyhow
11:04 lmandel: KaiRo: OK.
11:05 catlee: cpeterson: do underlined tabs indicate e10s?
11:05 overholt: catlee, yes
11:06 catlee: woot
11:06 catlee: lmandel: oh actually, I have one other thing
11:06 lmandel: catlee: OK. Back to you after this
11:08 cpeterson: catlee: yes, underlined tabs indicate e10s.
11:09 catlee: cpeterson, overholt: thanks
11:11 RyanVM|sheriffduty: foiled!
11:15 KaiRo: yes, we requested that flag early on for browser crashes - those of e10s processes are of "content" type anyhow
11:18 cpeterson: snorp, KaiRo: e10s crash reports have a "DOMIPCEnabled=true" annotation (bug 959419), but I'm not sure where that flag is displayed on Socorro pages
11:18 snorp: cpeterson: interesting
11:19 cpeterson: thanks, lmandel!

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-08-2611:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress