Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: October 13, 2014||Next Release: October 14, 2014|
|Central: 35||Aurora: 34||Beta: 33||Release: 32|
- You might have heard that we chemspilled last week
- 33 beta 8 ships today
- Final betas coming up
- 33 beta 9 (last desktop beta) goes to build Thursday
- 33 beta 10 (last mobile beta) goes to build Monday
- still 22 tracked bugs for 33, please help drive down this list
- Notable Aurora uplifts coming this week
- OSX Gatekeeper v2 signing support via package layout changes
- Loop changes
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Past week’s OrangeFactor: 4.52 (last week: 4.17).
- No progress on frequent Android and B2G timeouts raised in the prior weeks.
- 14 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.
- AWSY caught a bad JS memory regression, which was quickly backed out. Thanks to Ben Kelly and Nick Fitzgerald for doing the legwork.
- Thanks to the GFX team for a lot of work and cooperation around OMTC on Windows.
- We will very probably ship 33 with it back on and some good crash fixes added, turning it off for almost a week gave us good data though.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- [RyanVM] Sheriffs are using Treeherder as their primary tool now (OH SNAP!).
- [Ctalbert] – Ahal (Andrew Halberstadt) got a disabled test report up and running – dev.platform post
- Blog and newsgroup posts
Desktop Platform (bsmedberg)
- New mac bundle structure and v2 signing landed
- Planned to uplift to 34
- Please file regressions or addon-incompatibility issues!
- watch out for regressions in IndexedDB and related areas (bug 994190 relanded and looks good so far)
Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)
- Please help dogfood e10s in Nightly!
- To opt-in, open the “Preferences” and check the “Enable E10S (multi-process)” checkbox
- (same as flipping the “browser.tabs.remote.autostart” pref to true and restart Nightly.
- Known issues: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis#What_to_Expect
- Many e10s bugs fixed this week. Some highlights:
- bug 942707 – Fixed pdf.js
- bug 973001 – Fixed gUM permission UI
- bug 1030420 – Enabled dom.compartment_per_addon even when e10s is disabled (so watch for addon breakage!)
- bug 1071875 and bug 1071876 – Added support for e10s Talos coming to TBPL and Treeherder
- bug 1042710 – Fixed Adblock Plus missing some ads
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Summary of Work In Progress
- You can see the status of the current iteration (35.2) in progress here
Summary of Recent Landings
- Team landed 80 bugs over the last week, to complete the 35.2 iteration.
- Details of landings from the past week can be seen here
Priorities for the upcoming iteration
- e10s on Nightly
- finalize accounts/contacts work
- UX: design spike looking into “collaboration” use cases
- “Panic button”: better-exposed “Clear Recent History” functionality
- “Reset button on the web”: a mechanism to prompt users to reset Firefox when they try to download Firefox when already running the latest version
- OS X Yosemite themeing work
- New tab page performance investigations
- Places performance work (main thread IO removal)
- Translation trial followup
Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)
- Crash Reporter improvements
- Suggested Sites Metrics
- Search Activity
- “Firefox Confidential” add-on
- Second Screen
- Janus Proxy (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus)
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
Landings from the past week
- Visible seams on the page (maybe at tile borders?) ( Bug 1009306 )
- Send NS_NETWORK_LINK_DATA_CHANGED events on Android ( Bug 1024614 )
- crash in mozilla::gfx::AlphaBoxBlur::Blur(unsigned char*) ( Bug 1028802 )
- WebApp startup slowed significantly by debug server ( Bug 1034114 )
- crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.home.PinSiteDialog$3.onFocusChange(PinSiteDialog.java) ( Bug 1041448 )
- APKs for previous versions of Nightly and Aurora stick around in Downloads ( Bug 1051654 )
- Performing searches with Wikipedia search engine immediately launches Fennec ( Bug 1063193 )
- crash in java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Wifi:Enable was not registered at org.mozilla.gecko.EventDispatcher.unregisterListener(EventDispatcher.java) ( Bug 1063541 )
- The URL displayed under tab titles in the Synced Tabs panel disappears for a while after choosing “Open in New Tab”/”Open in Private Tab” ( Bug 1064162 )
- Synced Tabs panel shouldn’t be present in Guest Mode ( Bug 1064177 )
- crash in mozilla::gfx::SourceSurfaceAlignedRawData::InitWithStride(mozilla::gfx::IntSizeTyped<mozilla::gfx::UnknownUnits> const&, mozilla::gfx::SurfaceFormat, int, bool) ( Bug 1067018 )
- Firefox: User doesn’t go back to the channel after watching video till the end ( Bug 1068633 )
- Android crash in mozilla::image::RasterImage::DecodeSomeData ( Bug 1069369 )
- Selecting “No video” and “No audio” options from the permission prompt still shows the content of the device camera and the audio active ( Bug 1070989 )
- System download manager needs a build time pref ( Bug 1071091 )
- Form autocomplete dialog can take up the entire screen and make it really hard to use fennec ( Bug 1071738 )
- Tapping sometimes triggers two clicks ( Bug 1071758 )
- crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.db.PerProfileDatabases.getDatabaseHelperForProfile(PerProfileDatabases.java) ( Bug 1072332 )
- Regression: Open/Close animation of the tabs tray and menu is sluggish ( Bug 1072376 )
- Issues with hidden/unhidden devices on Synced Tabs ( Bug 1072954 )
Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)
Firefox OS Peripherals / Device Porting (ericchou)
- Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
- BLE API discussion on dev-webapi
- bug 1063066 – [Flame][KK] Bluetooth transfer does not work in Gallery App – landed (2.1+, smoketest blocker)
- bug 1062697 – [MADAI][Bluetooth] avrcp metadata doesn’t update on carkit. – landed (2.0+)
- bug 1072142 – [woodduck] Read the 2nd socket message info directly – landed (2.0M+)
- Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
- Device Storage & Stability (members: Alphan Chen, Eden Chuang)
- No update this week
- Bumpy ride for the Windows OMTC; is/was there a better way given the hardware variety?
- Work week covered topics like APZ & tiling on desktop, Project Silk, E10S, etc. See here and here for notes.
- Xidorn Quan joins the Platform rendering team. He’ll start working on our Asian Text projects, completing the CSS Ruby layout feature.
- Q3 Goals updated with current status. Will share Q4 Goals next week.
- Fixed a number of race conditions resulting from the MediaStreamGraph refactor (bug 848954)
- Added thread-safety assertions (caught a bug we’d already been tracking a fix for)
- Found that in overloaded conditions the output buffering code would drop audio and run unnecessary processing (bug 1074420)
- Landed a wallpaper patch for a top-crasher in beta – bug 1033066 (allocation size going negative; may be related to bug 1074420).
- Found eager-allocation of 8MB when webrtc/gum is started that was supposed to be disabled on beta and release bug 1074548 – thanks khuey!
- e10s getUserMedia/etc UI fixes – should work now
- preparing to work on multi-stream support for PeerConnections (and call setup improvements like BUNDLE (less ports) and renegotiation (no having to start a new connection and drop the old one when adding/removing video, for example)
- Lots and lots of Loop work. Better every day! File bugs!
- Use it for 1-1’s in place of Vidyo!
- More 2.0 fixes
- Support for HW Audio AEC/noise-suppression on Flame landed (build option in 2.0)
- working to make sure “right” device-specific prefs/files are installed on next base build (H.264 enable, better H.264 codec, HW AEC, etc)
- Network change detection (Windows-only for now, Android coming soon, other platforms Q4) finally landed and is sticking so far (bug 939318)
- We’re implementing an OpenVPN API for Firefox OS: talk to me if you’re interested in what webAPI should look like (bug 1033580)
- Resource Timing will probably be landing today (finally!) (bug 1002855)
- e10 support isn’t there yet but should happen within a week or two.
No update this week
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
11:04 lmandel: sydpolk: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-09-30 11:05 sydpolk: thx! 11:05 KaiRo: cpeterson: I guess you didn't reload, otherwise I would have done a very brief stability update 11:06 cpeterson: KaiRo: OK, we can jump back to you 11:06 KaiRo: cpeterson: ok, thanks 11:12 ctalbert: snorp: yay for that network link fix \o/ 11:12 snorp: ctalbert: yeah seriously 11:12 snorp: ctalbert: bagder had a hell of a time landing it 11:13 KaiRo: milan_: other than getting more people to test Aurora, I don't know too much of what we could do better 11:14 lizzard: kaiRo: yeah, i think people with older computers may not be rushing to run Nightly 11:14 milan_: KaiRo: yeah, that's what I'm afraid of 11:14 milan_: we have webgl performance work coming up, and XP is a fairly large target, so it'll get interesting trying to do it without completely messing them up :) 11:15 KaiRo: milan_: of course, the amount of crashes that have been reported as OOM|small but weren't really OOM has not helped, but we finally should have fixed the largest issue with that 11:16 RyanVM|sheriffduty: snorp: I try ;) 11:16 snorp: RyanVM|sheriffduty: it found actual bugs! 11:16 snorp: testing works yay! 11:16 RyanVM|sheriffduty: our tests work! \m/ 11:18 KaiRo: milan_: FWIW, you probably heard that we had reftests failing with OMTC off, I asked User Advocacy and it looks like they can confirm that users have been reporting more rendering issues last week as well, so that matches as well :)
Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-09-30 – 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: conference# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
- CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
- CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel