Meeting Notes

7-July-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-07-07

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2008-07-07

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself


Friends of the Tree


Development Updates


Fx 2.0.0.15 / Fx 2.0.0.16 / TB 2.0.0.16

Firefox 2.0.0.15 came out of the oven like a warm apple pie last Tuesday. We attempted to have a post-mortem today, but have instead moved it to Wednesday at 11am. Please add your agenda items to the wiki page.

Firefox 2.0.0.16 is almost ready for baking to our beta channel. We intend to pop it in the oven tomorrow.

Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 is in the hands of build who have started the process. Builds are in process and should be available for testing tomorrow.


TB 3

  • 3.0alpha2 code freeze is Tuesday evening, 23:59 Pacific

  • We’ll be moving forward with the proposal for shipping Thunderbird 3. We may shift some milestone dates around a bit; mozilla.dev.planning discussion forthcoming.


Gecko 1.9.1

  • For a great update of what’s going on in Gecko, take a look at last week’s Gecko meeting notes. Highlights include:

    • New video backends (working on them!).

    • More Acid3 tests passing.
    • SMIL
    • SVG CSS: SVG Gradients and Patterns as backgrounds for HTML elements, etc.
    • Worker Threads
    • Tons of JS performance improvements.
    • Offline versioned app caches.
  • Look here for interesting queries related to Gecko 1.9.1.
  • Still 17 1.9.1 blockers.
  • 87 wanted bugs
    • 25 P1s. These are bugs we feel would really, really make a good release if we had a solid handful completed.

    • 23 P2s. These are medium complexity bugs/changes that are nice to have.
    • 20 P3s. The lowest priority bugs for this release. These are the ones that we will definitely take, but the others take priority.


Firefox 3


Mobile

  • implementing UI for Fennec

  • on track for M5 release on Friday


IT

  • working with build on unit test issues

  • build-out of new mini farm
  • kernel updates/rhel 5 updates coming this week
  • mrz and oremj out this week – IT response may not be as fast this week


Release Engineering

  • Intermittent unittest failures: code/framework/machine? bug 438871
  • TB20.0.16 automation
  • FF 2.0.0.16 *and* FF3.0.1 on the same day
  • proposed changes to buildIDs

  • out of office:

    • nthomas, joduinn

    • please file bugs to mozilla.org:ReleaseEngineering


QA

Firefox/Thunderbird 2.0.0.x [ss, abillings, juanb, hali]

  • Firefox 2.0.0.15 – Completed final release testing and shipped on Tuesday, July 1st!

  • Started testing Firefox 2.0.0.16. See test plan [abillings]

Firefox 3.0.1 [ss, tchung, marcia, juanb, hali]

  • Created the Test Plan [tchung]

  • Received builds on July 2 and started bug fix verification, smoketests, BFTs, L10n spot checks, and update testing. Results.
  • Expect to release to Beta on Thurs July 10th

Firefox 3.0/3.1

  • Feedback monitoring: Worked with contact at ebay to help resolve bug 441779. Escalated Yahoo Mail issue that was causing lots of issues- bug 443280. This was a high visibility issue that was hitting lots of users suddenly. [tchung, marcia, tomcat]

  • Accessibility: Developed fix for bug 442659 having to do with ARIA menus. Verified landing of bug 439566. With this, screen readers using IAccessible2 or ATK now have access to all CSS display properties (except for display: none, which we don’t provide accessible objects for at all). Landed patches for bug 442862 and bug 442648, giving us a set of tests for HTML and XUL textboxes and textareas. [marcoz]

WebDev Testing [stephend]

  • AMO: Continued developing Selenium-based search test suite. Wrote documentation on creating/executing Selenium IDE scripts via Selenium RC

  • SUMO: Verified 12 FIXED bugs
  • General: Verified 39 bug fixes

Test development and automation

  • Gristmill: Made progress with Windows events handling, observer, and JSBridge. Working on a library called ChromeLib.js to be used to manage windows and tabs via fuel/xpcom interfaces in MozMill. Developing initial proof of concept scripts [mikeal, adam, ctalbert, hali]

  • Test Coverage analysis. Completed first hack at extracting the distribution of tests in the source tree. [martijn]
  • Minotaur/L10n: Some progress automating the testing of preferences for locales, now that Build has automated the building of locales and hand-off to testing processes. [ctalbert]
  • Mobile: progress on geo-location testing and running mochitest suites on fennec. [harthur, ctalbert]
  • Sisyphus JS test framework: Fixed bug 443154 (do not require js tests to be on path) and bug 443156 (generalize std::bad_alloc -> out of memory post processing) [bc]

Community

  • QMO Redesign- Research on Drupal AHAH (form AJAX feature), extended QMO Bugzilla module and outlined a more flexible version [paulc]

  • Working on Intro to QA BOF for OSCON [tchung, tony, ctalbert]
  • Provided patch for bug 441991 which, in conjunction with bug 443037, will allow the Calendar team to do some better ARIA magic with Calendar once they move to Gecko 1.9.1. [marcoz]
  • Spent a lot of time testing the WebVisum extension, writing a review on it, and in general getting this very promising extension off the ground. This extension is probably going to be as important to visually impaired users as Firebug is for web developers. Also completed leak testing of this extension and found some serious leaks. [marcoz, tomcat]
  • No test day last week. We are switching to holding these every two weeks until 3.1 milestone releases.


Security


Marketing/PR

PR

Events

  • Events Triage call on Wednesday July 9th at 10 a.m. PDT. Dial-in: 650-903-0800, ext 91, pass 248.

  • Overview of OSCON activities here.

Download Day

Spread Firefox Affiliates Program


Support

  • No updates, except 0.6 live push was delayed and will happen tomorrow (Tuesday)

  • Bug triaging session for 0.7 tomorrow [1]


Metrics

  • no updates


Evangelism

  • Making sure that JavaScript, DOM, CSS, XML, SVG bugs are getting into the proper triage queues for 1.9.1.

  • collecting feedback on the MDC dekiwiki test site, via thread on dev-mdc
  • starting work on a survey related to what people find most and least useful about this very weekly meeting, to see if we can make it even more effective as a way of coordinating the project


Mozilla Labs


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO


L10n

  • Builds we are working on launching (as betas) for 3.0.x: Assamese, Bengali, Estonian, Esperanto, Galician, Hindi, Icelandic, Kannada, Kinyarwanda, Latvian, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Thai

    • Shout out to all the localizers behind these builds who are working towards launch (in same order): Amitakhya, Runa, Sander, Eduardo, Suso, Rajesh, Christjian, Shankar, Stephen, Raivis, Joyce, Sandeep & Prithi, Basanta, Isriya


Foundation Updates

  • Grants and related expenditures

    • Peter Jaros completed work on his Camino scriptability project (a 2007 grant); for more information see bugs 390072 (preliminary support), 385989 (windows and tabs), and 390846 (bookmarks).

    • Frank received and is reviewing two new accessibility-related grant applications.
  • CAs and related issues

    • Frank started the first public comment period for EV-related requests from GlobalSign.
  • Conferences

    • Zak continued preparing for the FOSSCoach event at OSCON.
  • Website

    • David continued work on updating www.mozilla.org site.
  • Other

    • Gerv continued work on projects from last week, including tracking Google Summer of Code work for Mozilla-related projects, updating the public suffix list, working toward the proposed Bugzilla reorganization, review of a new proposal for site security policies, a proposal for replacing the Despot system, and various other things. David continued work on brochure project.
  • Upcoming activities

    • David, Gerv, and Zak will be attending OSCON (July 21-25 in Portland OR) and the Firefox Summit (July 29-31 in Whistler BC). Frank will be attending the Firefox Summit but not OSCON.

For more information please see the individual status reports from David, Frank, Gerv, and Zak.


Internship update

We have the following interns for today’s internship presentations:

  • Clare (Firefox)

  • Hasham (QA)
  • Juliana (Marketing)
  • Jacob P. (Web Dev)
  • Brian (Web Dev)
  • Maria (Labs)
  • Eric (Platform)


Roundtable


Other Business

30-June-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-06-30

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2008-06-30

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself


Friends of the Tree


Development Updates


Fx 2.0.0.15 / Fx 2.0.0.16 / TB 2.0.0.15 / TB 2.0.0.16

Firefox 2.0.0.15 is on track to ship tomorrow at ~3pm PDT. After which, we’re going to do a short-cycle follow up (Firefox 2.0.0.16). A proposed schedule is available.

As a result of our short-cycle Firefox 2.0.0.15, we’ve scrapped Thunderbird 2.0.0.15. You’ll see a new reincarnation going by the name of Thunderbird 2.0.0.16.


TB 3


Gecko 1.9.1

  • Look here for interesting queries related to Gecko 1.9.1.

  • Tracking 17 1.9.1 blockers.
  • 78 wanted bugs
    • 21 P1s. These are bugs we feel would really, really make a good release if we had a solid handful completed.

    • 20 P2s. These are medium complexity bugs/changes that are nice to have.
    • 19 P3s. The lowest priority bugs for this release. These are the ones that we will definitely take, but the others take priority.


Firefox 3


Mobile


IT

  • breakpad scaling

  • ramping up for ff 2.0.0.15 release
  • finish off ff3 debrief


Release Engineering

  • Tinderbox tree renaming.

    • Details in bug 441945 and bhearsum’s post to dev.planning
  • Doing FF3.0.1 and FF2.0.0.16 on Wednesday; two releases on the same day!?!?


QA

Firefox 3.0/3.1 [tchung]

  • Followed up Hendrix/Mozillazine/Reporter/etc Feedback [marcia, marcoz, and others]

  • Installed the Flash 10 Beta and did some compatibility testing [marcia]
  • Participated in the Fx3 Release Postmortem meeting [tchung and others]

Firefox 3.0.1 – Created a schedule and a testplan for 3.0.1. Triaging bugs and verifying bug fixes. Forms manager bug triage with Dolske [tomcat, hali, juan, others]

  • Schedule for testing has been created. builds expected on july 2nd

  • Fx3.0.1 Testplan in the works [tchung]

Firefox/Thunderbord 2.0.0.x – [ss, abillings]

  • Went to beta with [[Firefox:2.0.0.15:Test_Plan|Firefox 2.0.0.15] RC3. See checklist. triaging bugs

  • Completed 2.0.0.15 Smoketests, betatest and beta channel testing [abillings, tomcat, hali]
  • Started planning for 2.0.0.16

Webdev testing [stephend]

Automated Test Development

  • Updated spider to run on 3.1 and 3.0.1 [bc]

  • Completed calibration runs if the JS Sisyphus test suite on ~19 OS configurations against trunk code. [bc]
  • Added Accessibility tests for fixes to bug 438784 and bug 440770, along with several new chrome tests. See bug 441737 and bug 441519.
  • Got a patch ready for Scriptaculous integration. This is an externally developered test suite we use for JS compatibility. [harthur, ctalbert]
  • Gristmill – Completed a major project to update the mozmill API. Completed theJSbridge callback system. Working with pilot users (hali, abillings) to get early test developer feedback. [mikeal, adam, ctalbert]

Miscellaneous

Community


Security


Marketing/PR

PR

Events

Download Day

  • Judges have finished review, Guinness is currently reviewing our collateral.

Spread Firefox Affiliates Program


Support

  • New theme (updated to go well with the new mozilla.com) [1]

    • Extra special thanks to kbrausz, laura, stephend, and jslater
  • Weekly SUMO dev meeting on Tuesdays at 9:00 AM PDT
  • Releasing 0.6 this week (see the roadmap for more info)


Metrics

  • Over 10 million active FF3 users (!)


Evangelism

  • Deki based MDC is nearly ready for its final round of testing. Hoping to get that started this week.


Mozilla Labs

  • Labs Night (Lightning talks, covering Weave and Mobile)

  • Weave Release Today
  • Labs Redesign
  • Canvas and Javascript explorations (ContextFree.js, Processing.js, and Parchment)


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO

  • AMO 3.4.5 release scheduled code freeze on Thu (7/2), public push on Tues (7/8)

  • Updated the AMO product roadmap
  • SUMO redesign launched
  • Breakpad/Socorro
    • Data import has been set back until Wednesday — ran into some issues with partitioning

    • Processor had missing symbols last week, issue was resolved
    • Database is humming along otherwise, which is great news — thanks for Aravind for his help with this
  • Verbatim (l10n app) — presentation last week went well, thanks to all those who came
  • Velocity conference — webdev attended, pretty decent conference
  • Wikipedia gentlemen visited Mozilla office Wednesday afternoon and gave a repeat of their Velocity presentation — thanks to them for stopping by!
  • Front-end coding guidelines finalized
  • Met with Harvey and team regarding new Prior Art project, very excited about this
  • Working on labs site redesign with labs team
  • Graph server
    • Graph server should all be in Hg thanks to alice

    • Working on setup instructions and documentation to get dev environments set up
    • Work on 0.3 milestone shortly after we get set up


L10n

  • Axel is working with build to make starting new localizations easier

  • Fx3.0.2 will fix webmail and webcal handlers to include GMail and MSN LiveMail for locales and 3.0.1 for en-US
  • Funded development of Toolkit by translate.org.za


Foundation Updates

  • Foundation future

  • CAs and related issues

    • Frank gave final approval for Entrust‘s request to enable the Entrust Root Certification Authority for EV (bug 416544) and filed bug 442561 against PSM to have the change made.
  • Other

    • Gerv worked on a number of projects, including tracking Google Summer of Code work for Mozilla-related projects, updating the public suffix list, working toward the proposed Bugzilla reorganization, review of a new proposal for site security policies, posting a collection of “party favors” for Mozilla/Firefox parties, and various other things.

    • David was on vacation last week.
  • Upcoming activities

    • David, Gerv, and Zak will be attending OSCON (July 21-25 in Portland OR) and the Firefox Summit (July 29-31 in Whistler BC). Frank will be attending the Firefox Summit but not OSCON.

For more information please see the individual status reports from David, Frank, Gerv, and Zak.


Internship update

We have the following interns for today’s internship presentations:

  • Dan C (IT)

  • Ulili (Marketing)
  • Rob (platform)
  • Paul O. (Firefox)
  • Dan S. (Web Dev)
  • Wei (UX)
  • Heather (QA)


Roundtable

Revisit TB3


Other Business

23-June-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-06-23

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2008-06-23

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself


Friends of the Tree


Development Updates


Fx 2.0.0.15 / TB 2.0.0.15

Shipped Firefox 2.0.0.15 RC1 to the beta channel on Wednesday after server load lessened. Unfortunately, we had a couple bugs we had to fix. They’ve now landed and builds are on their way (Mac and Linux available). We intend to go to the beta channel again this week and release next week (targeting July 1 for release).

Thunderbird 2.0.0.15 has been delayed as a result of this respin. We’re unsure of the schedule, but we’ll update the wiki as we know more.


TB 3

No updates this week.


Gecko 1.9.1

  • Look here for interesting queries related to Gecko 1.9.1.

  • Tracking 15 1.9.1 blockers.
  • 69 wanted bugs
    • 17 P1s. These are bugs we feel would really, really make a good release if we had a solid handful completed.

    • 19 P2s. These are medium complexity bugs/changes that are nice to have.
    • 15 P3s. The lowest priority bugs for this release. These are the ones that we will definitely take, but the others take priority.
  • In parallel, we’re working on 1.9.0.1 bugs. Please nominate for that release as well if you find issues you think important enough to block that release.


Firefox 3

Released on Tuesday June 17th!! See Marketing/PR below for coverage!


Mobile

Released M4 over the weekend. Will provide a deb package during the week.

Installation instructions for N8x0:

If you run out of space, try moving the archive file to /media/mmc2, and then untar it from there.


IT

  • Launched ff3

    • over 17,000 downloads a minute at peak

    • over 8 mil downloads done
    • at peak over 10x our highest release
    • bouncer (download re-director) stayed up through the whole event, downloads did not fail
    • mirror network was still under capacity after serving 20 gigabits/sec
  • Welcome to Phong Tran – sysadmin


Release Engineering

  • FF2.0.0.15 in progress; TB2.0.0.15 next

  • scheduled downtime Wed morning 8am PST -> 11am PST for unittest VMs. IT doing cpu replacement. This will take down unittest *and* talos machines.
  • generating test snippets for major update
  • Armen and Lukas doing quick “show-and-tell” today


QA

Firefox/Thunderbird 2.0.0.x [ss/abillings]

  • Released Firefox 2.0.0.15 to Beta testing last week. Since then some security issues has been identified for fixing and there was a respin.

Firefox 3 [tchung]

WebDev Testing [stephend]

Test Automation

  • Dojo test suite port – Completed integration coding. Now just needs review and checkin. 612 test cases for Dojo compatibility are now available!! [mw22]

  • Created automated test cases for accessibility bugs going into Firefox 3.1 [marcoz]
  • Started running first automated Mochitest leak tests with Extension Builds [tomcat]
  • Sisyphus – Still looking at better ways to process error logs to pull out results for specific versions, platforms, etc. This is for the big JS test suite. [bc]

Miscellaneous

  • Nice blog about Accessibility with Firefox 3

  • Planning a QA segment of the European Developer Day. Working with Jane Finette on this [marcia]
  • Starting to plan for early testing of Snow Leopard Developer Preview [marcia]
  • Completed the latest Community tester survey. See the Basic results or More details results [jay]
  • Set up of 1.9.1 Environments for Debug Builds on Mac, Linux and Windows. This is for leak testing. [tomcat]


Security


Marketing/PR

PR

Some favorites:

Events

  • Public events triage call on Wednesday, June 25 at 10 a.m. PDT. Dial-in: 650-903-0800, ext 91, id 248.

  • More Firefox parties!. Check out video from this weekend for highlights from the Kung Fu Panda screening & the Build a Robot party!

Download Day

  • Awesome work!

  • Judges are reviewing logs right now.

Welcome Dave Bottoms to the marketing team.


Support

  • Another great Support Firefox Day last Friday [1]

    • Big thanks to the session hosts: mconnor, jonath, dietrich, sethb & asa, and, uh, myself :)

    • Also thanks to Lucy who organized the event this time, and to cilias, np, zzxc, and Cww for general awesomeness and invaluable help
  • Hectic but successful release of Firefox 3 from a SUMO point of view
    • Some frequent issues that were quickly covered in the Knowledge Base and promoted to the start page

    • List of common issues handed off to QA and developers
    • Blogged about the release


Metrics

  • A few fast facts from last week:

    • more than 2 million IE users downloaded Fx on download day!

    • our “2nd download day” (hours 25-48 after launch) saw an estimated 3.7 million downloads
    • worldwide market share grew in the last week from 18.8% to 19.2% (according to net applications)
  • Currently working to detect possible Colbert bump


Evangelism

  • The MindTouch Deki version of MDC is due to launch by the end of the quarter, which might mean this week. We’ll see.

  • Continuing to work on watching the plans for Shiretoko to ensure that the documentation for it goes smoothly.


Mozilla Labs


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO

  • Most of Webdev is @ the Velocity conference (performance and scalability conference)

  • Download Day: Mission Accomplished! (really!)
  • Socorro/Breakpad – we are getting roughly 2x the estimated crash throughput, working on some pruning and database optimizations to improve app responsiveness — we are aware of current issues
  • AMO Load Issues
    • 3.4.4 update delayed due to load issues (related to NetScaler and code changes)

    • We spent the majority of the week troubleshooting AMO perf
    • Still not sure if it’s a NetScaler proxy cache issue or an app issue, ticket open with Citrix and IT is working on it
  • AMO Features!
    • On the bright side…

    • Full-text search now implemented (search doesn’t suck anymore)
    • Advanced search feature — ability to search for very specific terms
    • Theme browser
    • read more about it on Basil’s blog
  • Graph server (perfomatic) inaugural triage complete (see bug list)
  • Launch notes


L10n

  • Community report

    • Parties are continuing to happen this week by and for many Localizers and we supported many folks in organizing them over last week: Barcelona, Italy, Madrid, Paris, Romania, Sri Lanka. 3 parties in Catelanan/Valencia areas. We know there are more but these are the ones we’ve been directly supporting or involved with.

    • Romania, SriLanka, Frisian, Greek looking for help in marketing and/or community building. Romania and Greece specifically looking to develop out a community portal which Pascal is helping with.
  • Tools

    • We have been working with the community to gather information on tools available and being used so that we can better support and scale translation. We’ve code named that initiative “Verbatim”. Wil Clouser will be hosting a brown bag hopefully later this week (confirmation to come shortly). More information is available on our Verbatim wiki page and Seth wrote a good blog post on a summary of what we found out and discussed at Fosdem earlier this year
  • Firefox

    • Not much to report. We have now officially shifted focus to 3.1 and 3.0.1 releases. We are getting many requests for more support on mailto and webcal protocol handlers from third party vendors which we’re working with Evangelism to field


Foundation Updates

  • Grants and related activities

    • Wellington Fernando de Macedo has been working on his server-sent DOM events project; this is continuing and extending the work referenced in bug 338583.

    • Frank corresponded with the organizers of the W4A conference about renewing Mozilla Foundation sponsorship for 2009.
  • CAs and related issues

    • Frank gave preliminary approval for Entrust‘s request to enable the Entrust Root Certification Authority for EV (bug 416544), and opened up a second public comment period.
  • Public communication

    • David met with Samuel Sidler and Reed Loden about future www.mozilla.org changes.

    • David also worked to get a new draft of the Mozilla brochure created; because of problems with getting model releases signed, we’ll be switchng to a new photo for the brochure.
  • Conferences

    • Zak continued preparing for the FOSSCoach event at OSCON.
  • Upcoming activities

    • The Mozilla Foundation is a sponsor of the Personal Democracy Forum conference (June 23-24 in New York). Brian Behlendorf will be speaking, and Frank is attending.

    • David, Gerv, and Zak will be attending OSCON (July 21-25 in Portland OR) and the Firefox Summit (July 29-31 in Whistler BC). Frank will be attending the Firefox Summit but not OSCON.

For more information please see the individual status reports from David, Frank, Gerv, and Zak.


Roundtable

Internship update.
Six interns will be giving us some updates on the projects they’ve been working on since they started with us.

List:
Armen Zambrano Gasparnian (L10n build) – blog
Lukas Blakk (build/test tools)
David Anderson (Platform)
Anant Narayanan (Labs)
Cesar Oliveira (AMO)
Gary Kwong (Thunderbird)


Other Business

16-June-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-06-16

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2008-06-16

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself


Friends of the Tree

We have three friends of the tree this week:

John Slater nominates Stephen Donner and Pascal Chevrel for Friend of the Tree saying, “Both of them have gone completely above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that the new mozilla.com works properly and will be available to all our worldwide users with the Firefox 3 launch. Stephen has sorted through dozens and dozens of QA bugs for the en-US site and the localized versions, and Pascal has coordinated a massive localization effort that includes mozilla.com, Download Day, Firefox 3 and all its in-product pages, and much more.”

Several people wrote in to nominate Deb Richardson for her amazing Firefox 3 Field Guide. Amazing, amazing work. Obviously a labor of love and it really shows. If you haven’t seen this blog post, go check it out today! http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/06/12/655/


Development Updates


Tb Major Update / Fx 2.0.0.15 / TB 2.0.0.15

Shipped Thunderbird Major Update on Monday, 6/9 at about 2:30pm. Go QA! Props! Initial results look like we cut the number of Thunderbird 1.5 users in half (or close to it).

Firefox 2.0.0.15 is on track for release next Tuesday. We’re planning on going to beta this Wednesday.

Thunderbird 2.0.0.15 has its schedule in the wiki but might moved out a day or two, depending on Firefox 2.0.0.15. We’ll keep release-drivers updated as we find out more.


TB 3

  • Improved IMAP delete / move response significantly. See bug 435153.

    • Code is now in today’s nightlies.


Gecko 1.9.1

  • Currently tracking 11 blockers for Gecko 1.9.1

  • 45 wanted for 1.9.1 bugs.
  • New interns arrived today:
    • Bobby Holley

    • Joel Galenson
    • Keith Schwarz


Firefox 3

  • SHIP IT!


Mobile

Milestone M4 scheduled for Friday June 20. By clicking on “M4″ at the right hand side, you will get a list of the issues for this milestone.


IT


Release Engineering

  • NetApp woes solved (!!!)

  • FF2.0.0.15 going to beta wednesday (not doing two releases on the same day!)
  • TB2.0.0.15 using automation
  • alice, coop, morgamic starting on graph server – any / all help very very welcome!


QA

Firefox/Thunderbird 2.0.0.x [ss, abillings]

  • Finished Thunderbird 1.5.0.14 – 2.0.0.14 Major Update testing!!

  • Firefox 2.0.0.15- Bug verification, Smoketests, l10n tests
  • Thunderbird 2.0.0.15 – created test plan.

Firefox 3.0

  • Completed RC3 testing: Bug Verification, Smoketests for Mac 10.5.3 and 10.4, Update Tests, Live Tests

  • Shipped RC3 on 6/11! Amazing build/test/web work done within 24 hours.
  • Monitoring RC3 feedback
  • Breakpad crash reporter: Worked with morgamic to push for the build ID patch we need. If we can’t search by build ID, it’ll be hard to distinguish between RCs. [cc]
  • 17 new leak bugs! Total from tomcat is now 306

Firefox 3.1

Test Development

  • Looking into mochitest for leak testing automation [tomcat]

  • Making progress with code coverage analysis with gcov. We have given up on bullseye for our purposes. [ctalbert]
  • Completed the initial usable version of Gristmill. Sample tests are available. A demo for the initial users of the tool, the Test Execution Team, is ready. This will be conducted after the 2.0.0.15 push.
  • Developing automation for accessibility tests [marcoz]
    • Continued work on form controls accessibility tests. Textfields, Textareas, Selects are done with all kinds of variations to label them.

    • Continued working with Robcee on bug 424195 and filed bug 439057 and bug 437980 to get the tests passing when running together. Esp for 439057.

Community


Security

  • Security Process kick-off for Fennec


Marketing/PR

PR

Events

  • Firefox 3 Parties underway:

    • 582 parties registered

    • Over 3,500 party goers
    • Campus Rep Ebenezer Laryea just hosted one in India.

Mozilla.com

  • The site is ready for launch!

Download Day


Support

  • Firefox 3 product help finally links to SUMO again after an incredible team effort by morgamic, laura, oremj, justin, lorchard, xb95, nkoth, and np.

  • Anyone wants to help out with Live Chat or monitoring the support forum?
    • People can get invites from Live Chat using a standard jabber client

    • Or people can download the full client and help out in a more direct way too :)
  • Knowledge Base content is updated for Firefox 3
    • Support for Firefox 2 kept

    • SUMO automatically detects what version of Firefox a user is running and displays the relevant content
    • Updated screenshots for Firefox 3


Metrics

  • Welcome Blake Cutler, our analytics-marketing intern


Evangelism

  • Work on MDC upgrade to Deki is paused until after Firefox 3 ships, to let IT and webdev focus their attention on that.

  • Ramping up the processes for making sure that Shiretoko (FF 3.1) gets documented properly.
  • Asa and Seth will be working with two interns this week on compiling info about community contribution to the various aspects of Mozilla project
  • Asa and Seth will be hosting Air Mozilla live all day tomorrow at Mozilla MV office
  • Working to get more translations of the FF3 Field Guide done (4 already, plus one underway!)
  • Putting some presentations and speaker notes on the nascent Evangelism library — please get in touch with Deb if you’d like to help transcribe or otherwise package presentations for others to use.
  • MFinkle started a webapp that generates scaffolding for Mozilla-based projects (add-ons, XUL applications and JS XPCOM components). We will be launching the project (codename ‘casserole’) & opening up development to volunteers.


Mozilla Labs


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO

  • AMO 3.4.3, 3.4.4 pushed

  • SUMO linked to in-product help
  • Scalability and preparation for launch
  • Download Day mass emails, site updates and preparation for the Big Show
  • mozilla.com updates and prep for launch of redesign
  • Resolved our Fx3 blockers
  • Other general prep for launch tomorrow
  • threedom
    • 1300+ addons ready for Firefox 3

    • ~75% of add-on usage ready for Firefox 3
    • Google Toolbar, Firebug, Greasemonkey, and more!


L10n

Firefox 3 – final preparations

  • Pascal completed international product pages on the 48 locales that we are shipping (plus 2 betas sl and si), those two have web pages but their pages were created late and not really tested so they probably have some visual bugs here and there, and we finished work on the mozilla-europe website for the launch including new design.

  • Stuff still to do:
    • release notes for localization last Friday (thanks Mike), we should have them ready for launch for 8 to 10 Tier 1/2 locales
  • axel/mic started updating documentation to ensure all new localizer teams have latest information for building out for Fx3 and not Fx2
  • Firefox 3.1 localization; no progress made, Axel called out for some help in .planning

Locales to shout out!

  • Bulgarian, has resurfaced and is working again on build for shipping in 3.0.1

Community Development

  • Community portal – team has met with dboswell, jslater, fantasai, sheppy, sam sidler on new mozilla.org redesign and with JSlater on get-involved mozilla.com pages – there are some synergies in the efforts that are being explored to share efforts; gandalf and seth are working on creating a community pack that includes templates for local websites, clarification on support for hosting, instructions on (link to) how to access the l10n server, potential PR templates, link to other Mozilla services for l10n community members like event supports, swag, and community giving/empowerment program; more to come

More details on what we’re working on can always be found on our weekly meeting notes


Foundation Updates

  • Grants and related activities

    • Gary Bishop of the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill published information on the atool project, a follow-on project to an earlier Mozilla Foundation-funded project to enable people with physical disabilities to do keyboard input using commodity webcam hardware.
  • CAs and related issues

    • Kathleen Wilson updated the pending CA request list to reflect current information received from CAs; she’s still waiting on information from several CAs.
  • Conferences

    • Zak continued preparing for the FOSSCoach event at OSCON.
  • Upcoming activities

    • The Mozilla Foundation will be a sponsor of the Personal Democracy Forum conference (June 23-24 in New York). Brian Behlendorf will be speaking, and Frank is also planning to attend if possible.

    • David, Gerv, and Zak will be attending OSCON (July 21-25 in Portland OR) and the Firefox Summit (July 29-31 in Whistler BC). Frank will be attending the Firefox Summit but not OSCON.

For more information please see the individual status reports from David, Frank, Gerv, and Zak.


Roundtable


Other Business

9-June-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-06-09

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2008-06-09

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself


Friends of the Tree

(Asa) I’d like to nominate Melissa Shapiro for the awesome job she, the PR team, and the spokespeople did putting together the Firefox 3 press tour. In all of my time at Mozilla, I’ve never seen such an amazing and effective press effort and that includes the launches of Mozilla 1.0 and Firefox 1.0. Great job, Melissa!! and everyone else involved.


Development Updates


Tb Major Update / Fx 2.0.0.15 / TB 2.0.0.15

We had a window of opportunity last week to do a final major update for Thunderbird 1.5.0.14 users. QA is ahead of schedule and expects to finish testing and release later today. Follow along on the wiki.

Firefox 2.0.0.15 is currently scheduled to hand over to build today. However, given the lack of tinderbox coverage (and nightlies) over the weekend, and given that we have a couple more patches we want to land before freezing, the release will probably be delayed a day, possibly two. We’re hoping to hand over to build tomorrow afternoon.

Finally, last week while thinking through Thunderbird Major Update and Firefox 2.0.0.15, we scheduled Thunderbird 2.0.0.15. There are certain restraints we have in scheduling it, so it’s currently targeted for a week after Firefox 2.0.0.15. Tb20015 will need a larger testing cycle so we might delay a further couple of days.


TB 3

No updates this week.


Gecko 1.9.1

  • Planning, triage, etc.


Firefox 3


Mobile


IT

  • Storage issue for build VMs

    • Been working on it for some time, netapp thinks they have a solid solution. In the process of implementing it, but takes a lot of time as we have to re-build LUNs, which means moving all VMs to another storage array.

    • Huge thanks to RelEng (and everyone else) for their patience. First priority is to get crazyhorse, production-pacifica-vm and production-prometheus-vm – rest set by build
  • Working with webdev to get SUMO perf acceptable for launch – planning on enabling this week
  • GeoDNS for releases, mozilla.com, mozilla.org is live!
  • mysql5 migrations continue – to be completed this month


Release Engineering

  • All trees remain closed while VM NetApp woes continue bug 435134

    • After VMs are stable, it will take time to bring up all build, unittest, talos machines again.
  • TB major update
  • mozilla-central checkins went smoothly last week, so no more need for metered checkins.
  • Central inventory list and new support docs coming together. This cleans up various machine lists, as well as existing support docs.


QA

Firefox/Thunderbird 2.0.0.x [ss-project lead, abillings-QA lead]

  • Completed betatest testing for TBird MU to 2.0.0.14. See Test Plan.

  • Worked with developers to get more patches in for FFx 2.0.0.15. Got ~30 bugs fixed in the week!! See Test Plan [ss]

Firefox 3 [tchung-QA lead]

Webdev testing – [stephend]

  • Download Day – Continued executing against test plan. Work still on-going for our next two phases–day of and day after

  • Mozilla.com – Starting testing the “Get Personal” page. Filed 11 bugs

Test Development and Automation

  • Created patches for integration of the externally developed test suites for Prototype and JQuery. Working on the Dojo (bug 424818) test suite and Scriptaculous (bug 424816). [harthur, ctalbert, mw22]

  • Finished improving the known failure format for Sisyphus (JS test suite framework) to make it easier to maintain and troubleshoot. The standard details about the test and the machine configuration are captured in a reduced key for each. The test key consists of the branch, build type, test type while the machine key consists of the operating system, kernel, processor type and architecture, memory, speed and time zone. [bc]
  • Gristmill – Finished all the javascript for js side callback infrastructure along with the initial work on Python end. Version for initial user testing should be ready in about a week! [mikeal, ctalbert]

Community


Security


Marketing/PR

PR

Events

  • OSCON & Black Hat planning underway.

  • Next events triage call is on June 18th at 10 a.m. PDT. 650-903-0800, ext. 91, 248.
  • Download Fests & Launch parties: Sending out party packs to party planners now.

Firefox 3 T-shirt

  • Now live in the Mozilla Store

  • Getting closer to a community store where other designs can be available for print. Stay tuned for more information.

Download Day

  • Planning for the Download Day Party (a.k.a. Camp Firefox) is going great. Expect a bar-b-q and lots of games at the Mountain View office. Please let Ulili know if you want to volunteer.


Support

  • Firefox Screencast Contest ending next Sunday

  • Chris has worked a lot on updating the Knowledge Base for Firefox 3
  • Brian Krausz is working on the SUMO site redesign
  • Laura, Les, Jason and Nelson have been working on performance.


Metrics


Evangelism

  • Evangelism had successful meet-up in Toronto last week.

  • Work on MDC on MindTouch Deki rollout continues to get even more tantalizingly close to complete.
    • Need to get it into SVN for localization of the skin to begin.

    • Otherwise it’s about ready to go.
  • Continuing the blogging drive towards Fx3. Blog more.
  • Will be starting an experimental new blog to expand upon and support the about:mozilla newsletter, talk to Deb if you have questions.
  • about:mozilla survey has been completed, will be going over the results shortly to see how we can improve the newsletter.
  • Prepare for next about:addons newsletter
  • Start work on extension and app tools
    • Scaffolding generation

    • Remote debugging / automation
  • planning underway for an Air Mozilla Live on Download Day.
  • lots of great new additions to planet. especially want to call out the meeting notes blog that bsmedberg’s running. see planet blog for more info. http://blog.mozilla.org/planet/


Mozilla Labs


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO

  • SUMO master/slave db patch – will push today or tomorrow, in-product linked shortly afer

  • Socorro – database analysis and worked on maintenance scripts – need to agree on an archiving/pruning policy that works for everyone
  • Graph Server – met with Alice to discuss graph server future, follow-up this week
  • AMO 3.4.3 was delayed last Thursday because of problems with search queries; they will be backed out and 3.4.3 will go out this Thursday instead
  • MozParty critical updates last week, 2.2 milestone this week
  • MDC – made repo for Deki, importing code today to unblock l10n
  • ExtendFirefox 3 ready tomorrow
  • Getting ready for Firefox 3
  • Webdev on-site was a success


L10n

Firefox 3 – final preparations

  • Pascal is wrapping up the over 1000 screen shots for the international product pages on the 46 locales that we are shipping, and finishing work on the mozilla-europe website for the launch. (For those interested in [updates]

  • Stuff still to do:
    • translate release notes, (we are waiting for them)

    • create a news item/press release for all locales to publish the day we ship
    • create subtitled videos with translated subtitled
    • migrate old Mozilla Europe web pages into the new design, (pascal is almost done)

New locales to shout out!

  • Locales we’re shipping newly with Firefox 3 compared to Firefox 2 (..14) are Indonesian, Sinhala, Albanian, and Serbian (ordered by locale code). Georgian is shipping on the mac (subject to testing)

  • Shout out to Danishka Navin in Sri Lanka (Sinhala) who has lined up some Press events and parties which he’s getting some help from us on for this first release, and
  • Hands up for Brian King who volunteered to help us ship Slovenian as Beta with the rest of the team (Matjaz Horvath and I believe Brian’s wife helped out too)
  • Bulgarian, unfortunately, hasn’t made shipping :(

Community Development

  • Seth, Gandalf, Jane, and Mic are working on a new community portal to help recruit and organize new international communities and localization teams, and build communities were they already exist. More on this to come, we’re expecting to get lots of input from other folks in MoCo (and MoFo)

Firefox .next

  • Axel is working on our approach regarding Mercurial

More details on what we’re working on can always be found on our weekly meeting notes


Foundation Updates

  • Grants and related activities

    • Alexander Surkov completed the intermediate milestone on his Mozilla Foundation-funded project to develop automated tests and regression fixes in the Mozilla accessibility module; so far he’s fixed 16 outstanding bugs (relating to crashes, regressions, and new features), as well as kept the accessibility API documentation up to date and worked on several other accessibility-related tasks.

    • Proceedings, slides, and an attendee list have now been published for the Foundations of Open Media Software 2008 workshop, for which the Mozilla Foundation was a sponsor.
  • Public communication

    • David continued work on a new www.mozilla.org design brief.

    • David also worked to help produce a new draft of the proposed Mozilla brochure and get model release forms signed for people whose photos appear in the brochure.
  • Conferences

    • Zak continued preparing for the FOSSCoach event at OSCON.
  • Other

    • Gerv worked on a project to calculate what percentage of the world’s Internet users have a localized version of Firefox available in their native language.

    • Gerv also worked on a project to compile a definitive domain suffix list, e.g., suffixes like “co.uk” that do not themselves refer to web sites (unlike, e.g., “co.org”); this list could be useful in contexts like handling of cookies, bookmarks, etc.
  • Upcoming activities

    • The Mozilla Foundation will be a sponsor of the Personal Democracy Forum conference (June 23-24 in New York). Brian Behlendorf will be speaking, and Frank is also planning to attend if possible.

    • David, Gerv, and Zak will be attending OSCON (July 21-25 in Portland OR) and the Firefox Summit (July 29-31 in Whistler BC). Frank will be attending the Firefox Summit but not OSCON.

For more information please see the individual status reports from David, Frank, Gerv, and Zak.


Roundtable


Other Business

View Walt Mossberg Video and the other Walt Mossberg Video

2-June-2008

Mozilla Project Meeting Minutes: 2008-06-02

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — bsmedberg @ 11:00 pm

WeeklyUpdates/2008-06-02

From MozillaWiki

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)

  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself


Friends of the Tree

David Tenser nominates Cheng Wang (Cww) and Matthew Middleton (zzxc) for amazing contributions in the planning and execution of the Support Firefox Day. “These two community members really kick ass!” Let’s give a big round of applause for Cheng and Matthew!!

Clint Talbert nominates Massimiliano Mirra (bard) and Adam Christian for their continuing contributions to the Gristmill project. These community javascript hackers are helping us out with the automation test harness framework.


Development Updates


Fx 2.0.0.15 / TB 2.0.0.15

We’re targeting this Friday, June 6, as a code freeze date. However, given the lack of patches for this release, 2.0.0.15 is currently at risk.

If you are a developer who owns a bug that’s currently blocking 1.8.1.15, please look at it today and let us know if you think you’ll be able to fix it by Friday.

List of bugs blocking the release which need patches

Current schedule:

  • Code freeze: June 6

  • Builds start: June 9
  • QA starts: June 10
  • Release to beta channel: June 17
  • Final Release: June 24


TB 3

  • Shredder Alpha 2 underway (code freeze July 8)

  • davida in Romania, speaking at eLiberatica conference
  • Mac OS X Address Book interface now enabled by default. Please give it a try.
    • Read-only access.


Gecko 1.9.1

  • mozilla-central opening this afternoon

  • controlled checkins for next few days, talk to sheriff before checking in
  • #hg for mercurial help
  • Intro: Eric Butler, Intern from CMU.


Firefox 3

  • RC2 still on track to ship Wed

  • Clare Bayely and Paul O’Shannessy started last week (Fx interns)


Mobile

  • Held UI work week in Toronto last week

    • agreements on direction on UI

    • spec work in progress
  • Owners assigned to all P1/P2 requirements


IT

  • Scaling for FF3

    • SUMO, services, downloads
  • bugzilla patches pushed
  • working with evangelism on dekiwiki stuff
  • rhel 5 and kernel upgrades continuing…


Release Engineering

  • NetApp fun continues:

    • Tree burning on multiple VMs last week, see bug 435134 and bug 435052 for details.

    • now that 3.0rc2 is done, IT now doing diagnostics. May see burning today while testing.
  • Opening mozilla-central *gradually*.
    • metered checkins, each needs with sheriff approval, until we clear backlog

    • extra hg-help available from sheriff for first few days
    • making sure it all scales ok, before we throw open the floodgates


QA

Welcome interns:

  • Heather Arthur – Autoamted test development

  • Hasham Ali – Release Testing
  • Paul Craciunoiu – QMO community tester site development

Firefox 2.0.0.15 [ss, abillings]

  • Mostly in triage and coordinating landing of patches

Firefox 3 [tchung-lead]

  • Testing RC2. We have to do a Mac Respin. The Windows and Linux testing kept on track and those BFTs are 100% done and PASS! Mac testing is ~85% done.

  • We had another high activity RC2 test day on Fri, May 30th. Over 35 people joined us. Coce was again the top community tester! There was a lot more activity and interaction than that the results show.
  • Found more leak bugs [tomcat]

Web Dev testing [stephend]

  • Download Day testing – tested the sign-up page in 10 languages, 50 individual pages. Released on Wednesday. Also heavy testing of the “day of” pages. Great teamwork by Ryan, Mary, Stephen, and others! Next up is a couple more locales along with “day of” and “day after” testing.

  • Testing Remora 3.4.3
  • mozilla.com – tested /whatsnew/, /firstrun/, and /central/ pages for tier 1 / tier 2 locales

Community

  • Latest Beta Tester survey was released. This was sent to the betatesters mail list, but anyone is encouraged to give us feedback. Here are some cool early results.

  • A updated nightly start page was published. This is meant to clear away clutter and provide a better path for people to get involved with testing.
  • Accessibility:
    • Announced the availability of the Litmus test run for Accessibility on newsgroups and my blog. Number of run testcases shows that some people besides me have already submitted results.Announced the availability of the Litmus test run for Accessibility on newsgroups and my blog. Number of run testcases shows that some people besides me have already submitted results.

    • Contacted the FoxMarks extension developers with some suggestions to improve their XUL.

Misc

  • Test suite porting to FFX testing infrastructure. Porting dojo toolkit tests to Mochitest so all the Dojo tests to be run automatically [mw22]. Heather is taking on Prototype suite and Clint is halfway through Scriptaculous integration.

  • Checked in fix to bug 432033 – Accessibility fixes in mail/components/preferences XUL files [marcoz]
  • Code Coverage project – Looked at bullseye coverage tool and now looking at gcov [ctalbert]
  • Gristmill XUL test automation tool – This already came in handy to automate some time intensive anti-phishing tests [ctalbert, juan]
  • Wrote the abstracts for the OSCON BOF session [ctalbert]
  • Sisyphus (JS autoamted test framework) – Modified it to support the 1.9.1 branch and using mercurial repositories for mozilla-central and actionmonkey. Worked on modifying the known failure format to reduce the size of the known failures file and to make it easier for others to maintain it. Needs to check in a number of changes. [bc]


Security


Marketing/PR

PR

- May 26 – New York Times Feature, “Browsers Are a Battleground Once Again”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/technology/26firefox.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=login

- Download Day in the Media

- Awards:

Events

  • Download Fest at Mozilla HQ: Planning in process — date and details tbd!

Mozilla.com

  • en-US version is ready

  • localization coming along well…final push to complete going on now
  • email siteredesign at mozilla.com to participate in the ongoing beta test

Search Engine Marketing

  • We recently concluded a set of branding experiments via our search engine advertising. For example, do new users better identify with getfirefox.com or with mozilla.com/firefox? David walked through our findings at giantspatula.

Download Day

  • Pledge site is live.

  • Spread the word!


Support

  • David Tenser presented on SUMO in Tokyo to Mozillagumi, at the request of Mozilla Japan as part of their 10th anniversary celebration. Photos here


Metrics

  • May 2008 market share update from Net Applications. Firefox showed strong growth last month… details at blog of metrics.


Evangelism

  • Toronto DevDay planning is underway

    • Bringing Mozilla technology to those who have never used it

    • Includes a Test Day too
  • Working with IT and webdev on MDC dekiwiki migration


Mozilla Labs

  • Focus right now on pushing out a major update to Weave. (See bug 433903 for open issues.)

  • Maria Emerson joined us last week as a summer intern in Labs focused on User Experience.


Webdev, Add-ons, AMO

  • Launched Download Day

  • Launched Mozilla Party
  • Worked on AMO 3.4.3 — code freeze is tonight
  • Brian Krausz, Jacob Potter and Dan Schafer joined us last week – welcome!
  • Breakpad server (Socorro)
    • Production pushes of pending changes to processor (infinite loop handling, logging of report errors) will be pushed

    • Final review of aggregate reports patch, working to push this ASAP
    • Database pruning and optimization this week to improve performance for common topcrasher queries — will archive data older than 60 days
  • SUMO memcache patch released, performance benefits were amazing (bug 395271)
  • Webdev on-site is this week, see the schedule and contact morgamic if you’d like to participate or have an idea for an all-webdev session


Foundation Updates

  • Grants and related activities

    • Eitan Isaacson completed his Mozilla Foundation-funded work to improve the Orca open source screen reader for Linux. Thanks go to Eitan for all his work on this!

    • The Mozilla Foundation is funding Ben Millard for an accessibility-related project to study how authors use HTML in practice, compare this with the semantics and accessibilty-related features in HTML5, identify any gaps, and help develop realistic ways to fill them.
    • The Mozilla Foundation is funding Wellington Fernando de Macedo to help implement in the Mozilla code base server-sent DOM events functionality as specified in HTML5 (building on the work in bug 338583). This is a project originally proposed for the Google Summer of Code; we thought it was a project worth supporting but didn’t have enough SoC slots to include it as part of that program.
  • CAs and related issues

    • Frank posted a draft checklist for information needed for evaluating CA requests for inclusion of root certificates in Mozilla.

    • Kathleen Wilson gathered information for CA requests from TC TrustCenter (bug 392024), Comodo (bug 421946), and Wells Fargo (bug 428390).
    • Kathleen and Frank updated the pending and included lists respectively.
  • Upcoming activities

    • The Mozilla Foundation will be a sponsor of the Personal Democracy Forum conference (June 23-24 in New York). Brian Behlendorf will be speaking, and Frank is also planning to attend if possible.

For more information please see the individual status reports from David, Frank, Gerv, and Zak.


Roundtable

  • So I’ve been following m.d.planning, but I’m still confused. Can we outline the code checkin state right now w.r.t. the following questions:

    • What should be checked into CVS (for 1.9.0 trunk)? (i.e. QA Dev has tests that need landing)

    • What should be checked into Hg? Should everything going into CVS now be cross-committed to Hg too?
    • When are the repo’s going to re-open? And what bugs should people be following for that status?


Other Business

Powered by WordPress