Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases
- FF21.0b7 Desktop is ready to go
- FF21.0b7 Mobile was shipped yesterday
- FF21.0 final RC build’s have gone to build and are with QA
- Iteration #7: May 02 – May 23
- 14% of the iteration work (20 points across 10 stories) has been completed to date (see table below).
- 35% of the total project work has been completed to date.
- We will be releasing figures on the project’s quality performance and defect levels at the conclusion of Iteration #7.
- Product Manager is reviewing release build to determine which ‘out of scope’ legacy features to turn off in V1.
- Team on Work Week from May 13 – May 17.
- Iteration #6: Finished on April 30
- Team completed 74 story points across 20 features.
- Team achieved a new average velocity of 51 story points per iteration which was an 8% improvment from the previous iteration.
- Overall performance gain has resulted in a new expected production release forecast of November 19, 2013 – a reduction of 2 iterations from the previous status update.
- Production Release Forecast now includes Best Case and Worst Case scenarios – View Release Forecast
- Google Star rating is *visual* 4.5 stars. We are tracking 4.25 for GA in actuality but the visual tipping point is a result of lot’s of hard work
- We are backing out the fix for this crash because it blocks too many JB devices. We are considering doing a final beta to increase our confidence prior to GA: bug 853522 – crash in mozilla::MediaPluginHost::DestroyDecoder @ libstagefright.so@0xd… on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with espresso & espresso10 hw running JB
- Otherwise, we just signed off on Fx21, this will include a push to the Yandex Store
- The Dynamic URL bar (a.k.a Toolbar) has been deferred from Fx22. It remains enabled in Fx23 for testing and convergence
- Slovak will replace Turkish as the next locale to add support for and it is slated for Fx22
- Otherwise, double tap reflow-on-zoom, New Tab UI, ANR reporter, Async Canvas Playback
- Lot’s of good work, namely, last-minute fixes prior to uplift to be sure we’re ready for Aurora
- Here is the feature page which is being updated, some of these features our out of scope and we’re identifying incremental progress: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Roadmap#Firefox_23:_Real_Media
Firefox Health Report
- On track to ship in desktop with Fx21
- Will hit Android for either 23 or 24
- Dashboards are still coming, but we can get useful data for Nightly/Aurora/Beta, ask mconnor+gps if you have questions.
- No updates.
USR 20 should be available later this week.
- Flash – We are still seeing as much (or more) negative feedback about flash stutter or generally causing a poor experience. Crashkill team reports that Flash crashes are down on beta but it seems to just result in more jerkiness complaints on beta, not sure it’s actually improved the feedback.
- Popups – We are seeing a significantly increased amount of popup reports in both Release and Beta. Assuming it is new malware.
Meeting this week to plan a strategy around replying to 1-star reviews on Google Play.
Getting ready for Firefox 21.
User Experience (Design and Research)
- [Australis] (Zhenshuo, Stephen)
- [Firstrun] (Zhenshuo, Holly)
- Implementing & testing phase 1(Web only first run)
- Designing & implementing phase 2 (In-chrome first run)
- Phase 3: Australis Update
- Starting next round of design based on http://people.mozilla.com/~zfang/Customization/Australis_UpdateExperience.pdf
- [WebRTC] Ramping up! (Boriss)
- [Sync, PiCL] Gathering feedback and iterating on Design http://people.mozilla.com/~zfang/FirefoxAccount/PiCL0425.pdf (Zhenshuo)
- [metro] (yuan)
- Sync UI adjustments:
- Solution for Auto-complete page: mockup.
- Notification for adding a bookmark: video
- Solution for a new Metro & desktop update preference bug 866229
- [android] (ibarlow)
- Blog post from Ian about the outcomes of the UI hackathon: https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2013/05/polish-all-the-things1/
- Designs ready to go
- bug 869123 NEW: Quick Share — shortcut to most frequently used sharing service
- bug 867371 Updated Settings UI in progress
- bug 853844 New progress indicator
- bug 867633 Consolidate lock icon and forward button animations in toolbar
- bug 847435 Updated look for back session history menu
- bug 868998 Reveal title bar by scrolling a certain distance
- Work in progress
- bug 864958 Some subtle adjustments to the PB chrome
- bug 808636 Reviewing work in progress on mobile error pages
- Some discussion around WebRTC door hanger permissions
- Continuing work with Product on some UX prerequisites for Mozilla Apps on Android
- Standing by for any and all questions about Multipage About:home
- Usability testing plan for Multipage about:home
- TV design concepts (Zhenshuo)
- Overall Design thinking http://people.mozilla.com/~zfang/TV/FirefoxonTV.pdf
- Initial UI Sketches http://people.mozilla.com/~zfang/TV/FirefoxTV_Sketches0506.pdf
- New tablet concepts (Yuan)
Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
Desktop / Platform
- On iOS, Google has now enabled app developers to integrate Chrome within their mobile applications.
- Chrome Beta on Windows and Mac now supports the Chrome Office Viewer, an extension which provides seamless viewing of Microsoft Office files in the browser.
- Google Translate added Bosnian, Cebuano, Hmong, Javanese and Marathi, bringing the total number of languages supported to more than 70
- Microsoft, in a carefully-worded blog post, said that 100 million Windows 8 licenses had been sold.
- Industry analysts complained that poor Windows 8 sales were were partly due to poor retailing practices
- Another zero-day vulnerability was found in Internet Explorer 8.
- Another video of recent Tizen builds is available.
- 2013 is the first year that people will buy more tablets than PCs. There will be 256 million tablets sold and 183 million PCs this year. By 2017 the number of tablets shipped will reach half a billion. This is part of a larger trend of sustaining big growth for tablets, at the rate of 67% year – over – year and a decline in PC shipments, by 10% a year.
- New Android version distribution numbers put Gingerbread at 38.5%, Jelly Bean at 28.4% and Ice Cream Sandwich at 27.5%.
- Shipments of smartphones in 8 major developed markets and China put Android ahead with 64.2% on average and 68.8% across the EU, 45.8% in Japan, 61.7% in Australia and 49.3% in the US. iOS is shipped on between 19.4% of devices in the EU to 49.2% of them in Japan. Top device models in the surveyed countries are the iPhone 5, the Samsung Galaxy S III, the iPhone 4S, the Galaxy S III Mini, the Galaxy Ace, iPhone 4, LG Nexus 4, Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy s II and the Blackberry Curve.
- Developer builds of Chrome OS feature a touch – screen keyboard. Important because it could mean plans to deploy the OS on tablets.
- Google has hired a Chief Game Designer. Gaming is one of the top app categories downloaded through the Play Store
- The first two Tizen phones will be in the mid – end to high – end range and code – named Redwood and Melius.
- Opera partnered with 7 Indian phone and tablet manufacturers such as Celkon, Karbonn, Lava, Intex, Fly, Zen and HCL ME to have Opera Mini pre – installed on their Android devices.
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
Firefox 21 highlights from the consumer and industry perspective
- Mozilla: Look ma, no plug-in for video, apps
Questions, Comments, FYI
- No surprises [johnath]
Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details – NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL