Meeting Notes

8-April-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-04-08

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor

Stability

Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

Next Merge: April 28, 2014 Next Release: April 29, 2014
Trains
Central: 31 Aurora: 30 Beta: 29 Release: 28
37 bugs (?? bugs last week) 58 bugs (?? bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 30 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 29 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

<Read Only>

  • heads down.

  • goals almost ready for prime time.

App Tools (prouget)

<Read Only>

  • Released FxOS Simulators 1.4 and 1.5

  • network monitor now works with FxOS
  • Gaia Developer HUD now supports certified apps and includes memory widgets and CSP errors
  • Some Gaia tests now instrument the devtools actors
  • Preferences (about:config) actor has landed (UI in review)
  • Fennec tabs support has landed

Developer Tools (Mossop)

  • bug 850336 – Box model is editable

  • bug 985924 – CodeMirror updated
  • bug 899054 – Add-on debugger landed, blog post and more features coming soon

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • No update.

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

Some great WIP’s
  • bug 776027 – Add Web Activities support to Android

  • bug 759448 – Prevent listeners from being registered until needed. Worked on resolving undefined xpcom/xul symbols is WebRTC code for Roku
  • bug 981694 – Show a notice to beta users when we turn telemetry on by default on the beta channel – Firefox for Android
  • bug 977196 – UI Telemetry for opening urls
  • bug 988635 – Telemetry: Device orientation
  • Nightly and Aurora users should test out Margaret’s home feed panels: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/addon/home-feeds/
Preff’d off but landed \o/

bug 921948 – Integrate roku support into Firefox

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

    • Dolphin Reach demo quality for SPRD

    • Tarako
      • One engineer onsite support at SPRD shanghai
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • Fixed bugs which were reported from in-house certification test (PTS test).
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • 1.3+/1.3T+ bugs

      • bug 984498 – Busy tone won’t be played when the device is muted (WIP)

      • bug 990957 – Ringtone does not play out if the ringtone is a AMR file (WIP)
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)

    • Figured out why memory reporter doesn’t work in Tarako PVT

    • Analyzed 19 Tarako bugs which were reported (or not even reported, just in partner’s ITS) from SPRD.
    • New DeviceStorage API and FeatureDetection API

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

<Read Only>

GFX (milan)

  • Back from a work week

  • Big ticket items proposed for the next couple of trains:
    • OMTC desktop (let’s us simplify and remove some of the main thread compositing code)

    • Skia content Windows (clear some way for the B2G and Android Skia content)
    • APZ improvements (some architectural, some performance, some usability)
    • v-sync on B2G (smooth scrolling, more consistent scrolling speed)

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

  • Cloud Services work-week last week in MV

  • Please keep testing Sync on Desktop

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Garbage Collection

    • NOTE: We are aware there are many crashes in Nightly. We are working to stamp those out quickly. If the crash stats (and performance) are not

back in line by the week before uplift, we will disable GGC for this cycle. Note, b2g and mobile are still building non-ggc, so the non-ggc
paths are still getting actively tested.

  • Front End and Other

    • bug 992998: Run jit-tests in spidermonkey builds again, bug 992998

    • bug 813366: Gracefully fail instead of crashing in some Yarr OOM situations
    • bug 878399: toString / toSource for asm.js modules and functions.

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • Speed: Made progress on the remaining issues for bug 931668 in 台北 two weeks ago. This eliminates the per-descendant cost of many (but not all) style changes of noninherited properties, though a bunch of “interesting” cases disable the optimization.

  • Speed: bug 950526 landed on inbound yesterday; this avoids reconstructing text runs for style changes to text frames that don’t require this work
  • Test Coverage (for Speed): bug 964646 changed off-main-thread (OMT) Animations from having very little test coverage to actually having some decent test coverage, though more is still needed
  • New Web Feature: bug 985838 changed the syntax for CSS Custom Properties for Cascading Variables (a.k.a. CSS Variables) from a “var-” prefix to a “–” prefix, and bug 957833 enabled CSS variables by default for all release builds so that they should ship in Firefox 31 unless something changes

Media (jesup)

  • echo cancellation in getUserMedia bug 694814 is landing and bouncing for multiple b2g-emulator issues (none of which are bugs in the patches). See m.d.platform for discussion. tl;dr: b2g emulator sucks perf-wise and that messes up classes of tests.

    • emulator is an unending source of pain. Cost us most of a week for two people already on this alone

    • This will enable noise suppression by default as a trial.
  • Next steps are to refactor the MediaStreamGraph to change all the time units and reclock based on the output clock. padenot is working on this

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • Necko will be reporting incomplete downloads as errors (bug 237623). This is so the Download Manager can detect incomplete downloads, but will affect other clients too.
  • The necko bits to make off-main-thread Websockets work are landed (bug 925623). Now we need the DOM work to make websockets in workers use it.

Performance (vladan)

  • Decided (with gfx, others) to mostly ignore small OS X 10.6 regressions.

  • Addon manager: quicker startup block of addon compatibility check bug 760356
  • Telemetry dashboard: ability to see own jobs logs and data, added google analytics.
  • Stopped working and filing power usage bugs (took a ~month). Facebook uses more power on Firefox than other browsers bug 962594. How to address?
  • Talos profiling – still failing on windows. Still being worked on.
  • Session restore: talos test being finalized. Planning optimizations.
  • asyncCopy working on fully off main thread.
  • Async test errors: harness now treats uncaught async exceptions as errors, now fixing tests.
  • Working with fx team to unblock australis regressions (linux keyhole).
  • jmaher started filing regressions, big question: what to do about them? acceptance threshold, etc.

Seceng (grobinson)

<Read Only>

  • mozpkix, our new certificate validation library, is on in Nightly! Please consider helping us by testing it or reviewing the code. See the announcement on dev-tech-crypto for details.

  • Bug 971341, a nasty bug that prevented users from accessing pages with invalid CSP’s, was fixed in Nightly and uplifted to Aurora and Beta.

WebAPI (overholt)

  • No update this week.

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

  • Kyle Huey, Ben Kelly, Andrew McCreight and Nathan Froyd did some great work tracking down and fixing some slow B2G leaks.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 11.88 (Previous Week: 8.86).

  • Steady progress being made on Cedar getting mochitest-bc running in chunks with devtools in a separate test suite on all platforms. Hoping to get it in production by the end of the week.
  • 13 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers look good for beta and release, the nightly and aurora issues are known and tracked.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work, and say hi to new contributor Dragos Nicolae! Here are some highlights:

  • Tom Schuster (evilpie) fixed some e10s problems (bug 910729, bug 980582).

  • Stefan (stefanh) fixed a preference UI issue (bug 957281).
  • [first patch!] Noel Cragg fixed a XULRunner startup assertion (bug 964902).
  • Douglas Crosher (dougc) fixed an asm.js crash (bug 919592).
  • James Kitchener (jkitch) corrected a MathML layout assertion (bug 947557).
  • [first patch!] Aaro Koskinen made SpiderMonkey build on PA-RISC (bug 958940).
  • Oleg Romashin (romaxa) added pointer capture for pointer events (bug 968148).
  • Masatoshi Kimura (emk) fixed an FTP encoding problem (bug 989576, bug 991690).
  • Marco Castelluccio (marco) fixed some b2g test errors (bug 956904, bug 991246).
  • Rik Cabanier turned on Path objects for canvas (bug 988088, bug 988409).
  • Tetsuharu Ohzeki (tetsuharu) fixed a Places helper (bug 984015).
  • Branislav Rankov refactored SpiderMonkey for the MIPS backend (bug 985876).
  • Anuj Agarwal (anujagarwal464) updated some old hashtable users (bug 975681, bug 984124).
  • Rick Eyre (reyre) furthered the WebVTT implementation (bug 879431, bug 882677, bug 903030).
  • Ms2ger converted an XPIDL DOM interface to WebIDL (bug 860731).
  • [first patch!] Arun Raghavan fixed a Firefox interaction with PulseAudio (bug 986985).
  • Martin Stransky fixed some GTK3 issues (bug 982964, bug 983903).
  • Xidorn Quan refactored some CSS code (bug 990297).
  • [first patch!] xKhorasan made the document URL property follow the spec (bug 859095).
  • [first patch!] Danny Chen (DChen) fixed a video playback UI problem (bug 729111).

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

10:58 KaiRo: bsmedberg: do you have any voice update on stability for the platform mtg?
11:01 KaiRo: cpeterson: if bsmedberg doesn't have anything, we have no voice update from stability today
11:01 cpeterson: ok
11:01 bsmedberg: KaiRo: you really don't need to ask me each week. If I have something, I'll have put it in the wiki.
11:02 Waldo: in living color
11:02 KaiRo: bsmedberg: ok
11:04 Pike: is everyone silent how it's supposed to be?
11:05 Pike: oh, voice update
11:05 kbrosnan: there is sound
11:05 jedp: Mossop that's awesome
11:06 jedp: gavin do you have a link to that post?
11:06 gavin: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2014-April/001548.html
11:07 gavin: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2014-April/001551.html
11:07 gavin: I'll put those in the wiki
11:07 jedp: thanks
11:15 dveditz: I think dougt is exagerating
11:15 dougt: ?
11:16 dveditz: platform engineering mtg
11:16 dveditz: you were quoted as saying the pkix change is the scariest thing to land in Firefox in 10 years
11:16 dveditz: I think misquoted....
11:16 kbrosnan: SeaMonkey not spider [in comm-centrl]
11:16 dholbert: cpeterson, ^
11:17 Waldo: and yet we're still supporting it [Windows XP] a year longer :-\ or so I remember
11:17 dveditz: if it [mozkpix] really breaks the web we would find it in nightly/aurora
11:17 dveditz: if it makes it past that it will break edge cases (possibly big ones) at most
11:18 khuey: I think the real concern is what vulnerabilities we will introduce

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-04-0811:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

7-April-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-04-07

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

  • Thanks to Andrew Halligan for all his well-written/tested/thought-out contributions to Firefox Marketplace. We especially appreciate his diligence going through Bugzilla, GitHub, and working on priority bugs – great work all around!

  • Thanks to Regnard Raquedan, Benjamin Kerensa and Katt Taylor for organizing the North America Reps meetup last weekend at the beautiful Mozilla Space in Portland!
  • Thanks to Kohei and Pmac for some unplanned updates to mozilla.org over the weekend.
  • Thanks to the various folks patiently answering the posts in .governance

Upcoming Events

This Week

Mozilla is sponsoring Pycon 2014 (https://us.pycon.org/2014/), April 9-17 in Montreal, Canada.
Events include:

Tuesday, 08 April

  • 1PM PST : Security Champions {for the curious or more details ping curtisk in IRC}

    • CANCELED as FxA is more important
  • 1PM PST : Firefox Accounts & Sync Brownbag – overview of FxA covering architecture, security and privacy

Wednesday, 09 April

  • Homebrew Website Club Meeting, 18:30-19:30 simultaneously at Mozilla SF and MozPDX. Description:

    Are you building your own website? Indie reader? Personal publishing web app? Or some other digital magic-cloud proxy?

    If so (or you want to!), come on by and join a gathering of people with like-minded interests. Bring your friends that want to start a personal web site. Exchange information, swap ideas, talk shop, help work on a project…

    Any questions? See the wiki page or irc://irc.freenode.net/indiewebcamp.

Thursday, 10 April

  • Christian Heilmann is speaking at Codebits in Lisbon, Portugal – FirefoxOS – HTML5 for a truly world-wide-web

  • Noon @ SFO – Armen Zambrano is presenting on SFO (hopefully through air.m.o) a quick presentation about Release Engineering’s recent improvements in our Amazon continuous integration (tbpl) and how we are saving 60-70% on our monthly bill – Saving on our AWS bill

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Webmaker

Speaker Location: OpenMatt in Toronto

Received this from one of our community members:

  • #WeAreMozilla

  • “I’m just recovering from nearly a month of debilitating illness, so I’m not really able to lead much of anything. However, I’m wondering if what’s needed now is an opportunity for people to affirm what they love about Mozilla, and what they *do* with and for Mozilla. People have spent the last few weeks trying to figure out how to be individuals. I would love to participate in participatory media-making that gives us a chance to be a community again. Thoughts? The idea would be to ask people to share one thing they have experienced/done/worked on with Mozilla, and then also to list two things from others that they also find inspiring.”
  • Interested? Got ideas? Get in touch with @OpenMatt and I’ll connect you. https://twitter.com/OpenMatt

Non-verbal updates:

  • Help us test Webmaker Training!

    • Official training kicks off in May, but we’d love feedback on the ‘Building’ module, which is all about using Webmaker tools to create learning resources and teaching kits.

    • https://wiki.mozilla.org/Webmaker/Testing

Open Badges

Speaker Location: nonverbal update

  • Peruse the latest happenings on the Badges team in this blog post.

OpenNews

Speaker Location: MozPDX

Just want to give a quick, in person hello and update on OpenNews.

Mozilla Science Lab

Speaker Location: non-verbal

IT

Speaker Location: mjeffries, San Francisco

  • Vidyo 3.0 update: Thanks for all the feedback on the new Vidyo client. We have been making changes to the environment based on the feeback you have provided. Please keep the feeback coming – preferrably via Bugzilla and ServiceNow (though you Yammer junkies can keep submitting, too! ;) ).
  • The ServiceNow update, with the easier-to-use UI, is now LIVE! Come check it out, and click on this intro video link to learn more about how the redesign can make things easier for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xv_wU-6_VQ

Web Compat

Speaker Location: non-verbal

Lots of wins for the open non-WebKit mobile web recently:

  • touch.groupon.com adds non-WebKit-only CSS for all to enjoy.

  • wikia.com layout fixes for Firefox OS and Firefox for Android.
  • cnet.com now sends rich mobile site to Firefox OS users.
  • ehow.com moves away from non-standard CSS button layout.
  • m.dictionary.com redesigned to not only serve -webkit- CSS.

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Lars Bergstrom Researcher Servo – ACID2 support Chicago, IL No, but stream video YouTube MP4 http://github.com/mozilla/servo

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Ting-Yu Lin Steven Lee Taipei office Taipei office Firefox OS – Platform Engineering team
Guillaume Marty Gregor Wagner San Francisco London Software Engineer -

Introducing New Interns

New Intern Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Theo Chevalier Chris Hofmann Mountain View Mountain View Localization Driver

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Chris Heilmann: I put together a blog post outlining how to communicate to the outside world without becoming a target for misquotes or attacks. Please have a read. I am also happy to help anyone who wants to say something but feels intimidated or unhappy to do it publicly. This is a time to stand strong and together and not give people wrong quotes. It is not a time to be silent when you are unhappy. Have a read, it has a cute baby bat.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

2-April-2014

Mobile: 2014-04-02

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2014-04-28

Topics for This Week

Firefox Hub
Planning to publish feed add-on for 30 on AMO this week. Starting to write API documentation on MDN.

GeckoSharedPrefs
Support for scoped SharedPreferences landed. Major ts paint regression, investigating. Might have to backout.

Context menu Quick Share
Landed, but exposed some regressions. Wes is working on it.

UI Telemetry
The initial patches landed. Let’s start looking at the data.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • bug 987010 – [Skia] ConvertBGRAToBGRX is sitting on a hotpath and we don’t want it there

  • bug 985155 – Intermittent Android 2.3 | application crashed [@ 0x0]
  • bug 990174 – SkiaGL runs out of memory when drawing lots of shadowed images
  • Continued work on push notifications
  • Investigate whether or not we can turn canvasmark back on for panda
  • Work on actually testing SkiaGL in mochitest

JChen

<Read Only>

Past week

  • Mostly worked on native JS object support

    • Should be landing soon; mailing list post(s) coming.

Fixed

Working on

GCP

  • Last week:

    • Attempts to verify H264 acceleration on Firefox Flame

    • Various reviews
    • Android WebRTC 3.50 update
    • Update dev VM
  • Next week:
    • More fiddling with the Flame

    • Android WebRTC 3.50

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: Posted patch for bug 759448 – Prevent listeners from being registered until needed. Worked on resolving undefined xpcom/xul symbols is WebRTC code for Roku.

  • This Week: Continue resolving symbols and creating drop in replacements for XPCOM components in WebRTC code.

Brian Nicholson

  • bug 988527 – End of progress bar is offset by 1px

  • bug 989098 – Improve EventDispatcher/Messaging.jsm
  • bug 946022 – Implement requestAutocomplete for Firefox for Android

WesJ

  • bug 942270 – Add Quickshare buttons to Context menu

    • bug 990364 – Share options have dramatically shrunk. Have fix. Uploading.

    • bug 990642 – Regression: ‘Share Image’ shares link and not actual image
  • bug 985400 – Unable to interact with sub menus on LG Optimus 4X HD (4.1.2)/LG G2
  • bug 990395 – After installing Link Bubble, all web pages get a HelperApp icon
  • Second screen. Trying to get video casting working via Chromecast or Mircast devices before we work on the harder problem of casting whole tabs.
  • bug 905860 Kohls ad drag to reveal doesn’t work

jdover

  • Blocked on Download Mananger

  • Working with fabrice today in MTV on Web Activity support – should be able to land very soon
  • Adding swipe-to-refresh support for home panels

fixed

current

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 940575 – Implement per-profile SharedPreferences, eliminating uses of PreferenceManager

  • bug 985211 – Disabling hub panels in regular mode affects guest mode
  • bug 974601 – Avoid saving new configuration on refresh if still using default HomeConfig
  • bug 988355 – Only force reload on configuration changes in DynamicPanel
  • bug 933739 – Issues in URL domain autocompletion
  • (Investigation, Round 2) bug 974434 – Add support for items with variable height in PanelGridView
  • (In progress) bug 976064 – Create a loader per panel view instead of per dataset id
  • (In progress) Bootstrapping the framework for Suggested Sites
  • Prepared presentation for London Mobile Summit 2.0

Next week

  • More focus on the Suggested Sites framework

  • Some more Hub stuff

sola

This week

  • bug 977196 – UI Telemetry for opening urls

  • bug 988635 – Telemetry: Device orientation
  • bug 857990 – Save/Restore scroll position for an article in Reader Mode
  • bug 909618 – Remember about:home tab selection

liuche

<Read Only>

Currently

  • Prototype another settings rewrite for Fragment-only (replace PreferenceActivity, handle prefs, tablet UI preferences)

  • misc telemetry bugs/reviews
  • Beta notification for new telemetry policy

Done

Margaret

Highlights

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • bug 957894 – Update account pickling code for Firefox Account

  • investigate bug 979621 – Android 2.3 testNewTab |junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: EditText is not found!

Present

  • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

  • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 965548 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap
  • bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests

Future

  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off

  • bug 898613 – [fig] Editing mode tests (followup to bug 895828)
  • bug 963446 – Extend SyncAccountDeletedService to handle deleting client record for Firefox Accounts + Sync 1.5

esawin

Fixed

Working on

Summary

RNewman

<Read Only>

Highlights

  • Lots of Sync reviews, and some small fixes.

  • Filing all the bugs.
  • Soon to be landing some context fixes, assuming Lucas fixes his GeckoSharedPrefs stuff (implicit dependency).
  • About to have very patchy availability (vroom vroom), but will be in MV and SF for a couple of days in a week or so. Will still be able to get to some reviews, and hope to make locale switching progress.

Fixed

Working on

nalexander

Highlights

  • None. Did you know we have a new CEO?

Fixed

Working on

BLassey

  • Landing UI for tab streaming

  • looking at chrome cast, mostly banging my head against various walls
  • building and packaging GeckoViewExample by default landed
    • devs now need ant 1.8.0

MFinkle

Ian Barlow

  • Tablets

    • In Vancouver this week, doing some design planning

      • Tabbed browsing – refining design concepts from initial sprints

      • Search improvements – what could we do better on tablets? On all devices?
      • Gestures – what kinds of gestures ould we add that make browsing more comfortable?
      • Multi screen use
    • Also – in case you missed it last week, Yuan and Anthony pulled together some initial design sprint findings on tabbed browsing here: http://f.cl.ly/items/1f0C3b2f3F2d111N3V3k/Tablet%20refresh%20sprint%20findings.pdf
  • Widgets are back!
    • Draft designs round 1 cl.ly/image/0C0o0D441V0i

    • Stay tuned for refinements
  • Roku – locking down v1 designs with Anthony and Zhenshuo
  • Hub support – wrapping up initial RSS-themed release
  • Tiles – initial design exploration underway
  • In Denver next week for UX Mobile Immersion conference http://uxim14.uie.com/

Arun

<Read Only>

  • Last week

    • Android widget idea sketches
  • In Progress

    • PDF.js bugs break up

    • Bug 762298 – Request: Bookmark organization and or sorting
    • Bug 971922 – Lack of History Management in History ‘Tab’ confuse users

WebRT

  • focus remains developer-facing issues in Fx29 Beta

  • still bouncing off zarro blookers for Fx29 Release
  • Go/No-Go meeting on Fx29 Release next Monday, April 7
  • Noteworthy Bugs:
    • bug 982557 – updating Fennec to a version with Synthetic APKs triggers app updates that hang on launch – uplifted

    • bug 970209 – webapp update logic in about:apps should be #ifdef MOZ_ANDROID_SYNTHAPKS – uplifted
    • bug 982559 – updating to Synthetic APKs and tapping Home screen icon for previously-installed webapp crashes Fennec – uplifted
    • bug 889744 – Cannot install packaged apps from reviewer details page on Android – under investigation
    • bug 989109 – WebAppRT expects return values from sendMessageToJava – fixed, will request uplift
    • bug 989294 – Synthetic APK never launches if downloaded outside Fx Marketplace – under investigation
    • bug 968129 – crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.gfx.GeckoLayerClient.setFirstPaintViewport(GeckoLayerClient.java) – fixed, will request uplift

A-Team

Feature Focus

<Read Only>
Nice work on landing UI Telemetry for Home Panels!

Fx29
Fx30
Fx31

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-04-02

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Mobile

Beta (29)

  • WebApps experience for Android continues to improve with bug 933979 – Uninstalled webapps take up a lot of space

  • Sync is still converging, looks healthy overall

Aurora (30)

  • There’s been a bit of gfx related activity for Fx30, landings:

    • bug 988370 – Regression: position: fixed element corruption when panning and (uplift to Fx30) and bug 983208 – Regression: Panning and zooming yields flickering and or vanishing content
  • GFX WIP: bug 988882 – Regression: fixed position header and site interaction broken on DuckDuckGo Goodies; content hidden behind the address-bar
    • bug 989278 – Scrolled page in Readermode produces banner strip artifact

    • bug 986991 – Text entry fields ‘refreshing’ in weird manner

Nightly (31)

  • Landed in FxTeam bug 968308 – UI telemetry for home panels

  • Nice bug fix for bug 976723 – Selection handle scrolls outside boundary of <input> on page scroll also landed in FXTeam, we’ll see how it looks to uplift

Developer Tools

  • Landings

    • add-on debugger! ( related: Addon Builder is offline and redirecting to MDN )

      • some interest from the Fennec team in leveraging this fine work.
    • innovative new look introduced(screenshot) and then reverted after both good and bad feedback.
  • Outbound

    • quiet week for devtools (chaos everywhere else).

    • upcoming events: speaking at JSConf *and* CSSConf in May, keynote at ScotlandJS.

Feedback Summary

Desktop

Snippet Survey live on 28 now. Report soon.

General Australis sentiment has been trending up from nightly -> Aurora -> Beta, we have a general snippet survey launching soon in Beta to give us a better overall picture of what users are saying.

The UI Tour is positively received by users who take it, and does seem to help the learning curve for those users that finish the tour. Says one user: “It felt like a whole new level of support from Mozilla. It felt user-friendly in a way I am not used to from Firefox.”

Mobile

No major updates at this time, beginning to do research on running surveys for Android users soon.

UX & User Research

See what we’re all up to!

Actions this week

  • Tyler to dig in on Sync feedback on beta, since reports so far have focused on Australis

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

1-April-2014

SeaMonkey: 2014-04-01

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> mcsmurf

  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • -

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)
We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ has not been updated since November 2012, the last version listed is 2.14 (bug 956561); move blog to blog.mozilla.org if possible Assigned: mcsmurf.

    • Mcsmurf says that it looks like we might be getting a blog on blog.mozilla.com.

    • KaiRo will do some DNS magic to get it mirrored at blog.seamonkey-project.org
    • Ratty managed to get Kerz’s contact address but totally forgot to follow this up yet.

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • New breakage: bug 983536 libpango version >= 1.22.0 required on Linux.

  • bug 977676 SeaMonkey’s puppet broken due to requirement of ffxbld ldap password.
  • Python has been updated on all buildboxen!
  • We are perma-orange on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta due to problems with tests
    • Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.

    • bug 908090 ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5. We do have python 2.7 installed but our build system is picking up python 2.5 instead.
      • ewong’s patch is waiting for review. It was manually patched on the master; but, was reverted and the buildmaster was reconfigured and so the changes are gone. Need to have the patch pushed officially in order for this bug to be fixed.
    • pymake is failing with “invalid syntax” again because of an outdated Python.
    • Priority on fixing this and l10n repacks after 2.24 release.(No ETA yet)
    • bug 943740 is tracking the progress (or lack of one) in building trunk and aurora on Linux & Mac from the downloading user’s POV. (Windows nightlies are still appearing on schedule — or were until a day or two ago.)
  • No langpacks since 29th August on trunk. Needs investigating.
    • Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.

    • In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.
  • Buildmaster is up and running.
    • Callek is hand-approving requests for CLOSED TREE landings at the moment.

    • Due to the master having some mysql issues, Callek has put a halt on the mysql updates, which affects the tbpl. So nothing is showing in tbpl atm.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer has mostly completed the coding. Next step is consultation with mozilla-central build peers on landing the patches and also getting implicit permission to add several new top level directories to mozilla-central.

Fixed Stuff Since Last Meeting

  • bug 985964 No 2.27a2 aurora nightly builds since the last merge.

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey 2.25 final was released on March 19.

  • Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling
  • No decision yet about first 2.26 beta release

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available

  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.25

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (2)
targeted (1)
fixed (7)

2.Next

  • Current breakages:

    • bug 984948 folder pickers in the filter editor are empty.

      • This was caused by a TB bug: bug 878805 Check UI consistency across all Thunderbird folderpickers.
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Note: Please file bugs if you notice any landing on mozilla-central that might break us. Please don’t depend on Ratty noticing such landings.

    • bug 805374 Remove Character Encoding menu entries that are not in the Encoding Standard. Tracked in:
      • bug 943732 Port the new Character Encoding menu to SeaMonkey.
    • Our front end Sync UI needs to be updated as the old backend is going away in Gecko/Firefox 31. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly.
    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
    • bug 831208 (asyncContentPrefsUse) Refactor asyncContentPrefs consumers to use the async API. Tracked in:
      • bug 909093 Update SeaMonkey to use nsIContentPrefService2. Mcsmurf and Neil@parkway are currently working on this.
    • bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
      • bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
    • bug 795144 default –disable-gnomeui icon theme support
      • porting bug needed for the two configure.in changesets? Changes could be folded into bug 794772 above. *** IanN and Ewong are looking into this..
    • bug 627699 Port GTK2 to GTK3. Tracked in:
      • bug 882036 Port GTK2 to GTK3 – SeaMonkey Part.

      • A Red Hat person seems to be working on the GTK3 integration.
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Bugs: Low Hanging Fruit

Not necessarily Good First Bugs but minor fixes that shouldn’t need advanced coding skills.

  • bug 795002 Improve detection of valid feed urls in messengerdnd.js (Port relevant bits of bug 737115).

  • bug 986509 On Linux GTK/KDE with zebra striping for trees and menulists when focus is lost the selected row highlight is also lost.
  • bug 986889 sidebarOverlay.js#1653 should be using urlLit, not titleLit. (One line typo fix)

Needs investigation/QA wanted?

  • bug 986548 SeaMonkey 2.25 always crashes when trying to access email.

    • Need to followup on bug 964182 with mozilla/core developers.
  • bug 986816 when starting with mail window: some contents missing. (Intermittent bug).
  • bug 987464 Build scripts for Seamonkey Linux X86_64 fail for2.28a1.
  • bug 988599 new email window displays prior composed email.
    • Workaround: set mail.compose.max_recycled_windows to 0.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 30 new, 8 fixed, 10 triaged.

  • Low triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
23 review
6 super-review
1 ui-review
8 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.

  • New: We will need to update our Sync UI code due to the new Sync API. Also we need to check if we are allowed to create FX accounts from our UI Since the new Sync accounts are FX accounts.[IanN] I’m sure I saw a question about FX accounts and branding.

Modern Theme rework (Patrick Dempsey)

Ratty has been tracking the Modern theme rework by Patrick Dempsey. Here are his latest reports (See previous meeting notes for previous reports):

19th March

Here is a sample of taskbar and Window menu icons for Modern comparing the original Netscape 6 and current SeaMonkey icons at 200%. I’m attempting to come up with a standardized approach to building this style of icons as they are used heavily in Messenger for all of the little thread identifier icons.

taskbarsample.png

Attachment Reminders

Suyash Agarwal has started to port attachment reminders to SeaMonkey MailNews. bug 984016 Attachment Reminder: Help prevent forgetting inclusion of attachments (Port TB bug 244455)

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

ewong

  • Fixed:
  • Checkin-needed:(waiting for tree to be opened.)

    • bug 665708 – Gopher links show “Launch Application” in SeaMonkey 2.1

    • bug 904338 – Empty port line when create a Blogs & Newsfeeds account
    • bug 957895 – Bug 633937 added unnecessary three strings to messages.properties. Remove them.
    • bug 958128 – Jumplists stop updating when PC is idle
  • Review:

    • bug 840427 – Migrate SeaMonkey builders to using mock

    • bug 853720 – After bug 827446, SeaMonkey doesn’t know mozcrash.
    • bug 908090 – ImportError: No module named json, on SeaMonkey Linux/Windows (all) test runs, due to (still) using Python 2.5
    • bug 922076 – Switch tests to using moz.build and manifests
    • bug 934492 – Adjust the languages preference pane to take into account Bug 910192 which removes intl.charset.default and deduces the fallback from the locale
    • bug 938673 – Add context menu to status bar padlock icon
    • bug 949884 – disable pulseaudio in SeaMonkey
    • bug 956007 – Remove front end for removed x-user-def font preferences
    • bug 967492 – Remove “Personas” from Help (Update text)
    • bug 970475 – Use unprefixed box-sizing internally
  • Working On:

    • bug 110904 – attach signature fails silently on bad paths

    • bug 507676 – Port |Bug 435804 – Remaining rdf cleanup for FilterListDialog| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 837649 – [Tracking Bug] Stop OSX 10.5 support for SeaMonkey project
    • bug 837650 – Stop support for OSX 10.5 in suite/ tree
    • bug 863747 – Add option to disable Location bar history
    • bug 918474 – Default Search dropdown doesn’t get refreshed after adding new search engine
    • bug 928632 – When the birth year is empty, SeaMonkey puts 1900 and in English language

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.

  • Fixed:
    • bug 981444 Update en-GB for Gecko 29 – Late l10n change
  • Pending check in:
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost

    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
  • Working on:
    • bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)

    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.

    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

Neil

Needs landing:

  • bug 943732 Port the new Character Encoding menu to SeaMonkey.
This patch will need to be uplifted to comm-aurora. Also a bugfix needs to land on comm-beta.
  • bug 909093 Update SeaMonkey to use nsIContentPrefService2.

Needs comm-beta uplift:

  • bug 977048 Close icon only works for click-to-play plugins.

Fixed on mozilla-central:

  • bug 948901 Character encoding menu doesn’t work correctly in the FTP directory view.

Working on:

  • bug 514280 NS_GET_IID can be used on classes which don’t actually declare their own IID.

Stalled due to broken test:

Ratty

Fixed since the last meeting:

  • bug 986400 Sync does not start in SeaMonkey 2.28a1.

ToDo:

  • Update our front-end SyncUI code.

  • Implement Fx Accounts (Branding? SM Accounts?).
  • Preview lightweight themes (backgrounds) when View Apply Theme menu is active.

Investigate:

  • confvars.sh needs updating.

Other stuff:

  • Did some reviews.

  • Liason with contributor on theme updates.
  • Bug triage and Bug discussions.
  • Usual end user support and PR in newsgroups and Mozillazine.

rsx11m

Working on:

  • bug 989776 Move inline scripts for SeaMonkey’s main about.xhtml page into a separate file.

  • bug 989777 Move inline scripts for SeaMonkey’s aboutPrivateBrowsing.xul page into a separate file.
  • bug 989780 Untrust about:life and consider moving inline scripts and styles into separate files.
    • all for bug 960566 Move inline scripts and styles into separate files for SeaMonkey privileged about: pages.

Other:

  • Bug triage, testing, and commenting for SeaMonkey and MailNews Core.

  • End-user information and discussion on MozillaZine.

Any other business?

  • Daylight Saving Time started in Europe last weekend. We have moved to 12:00 UTC with the April 1 meeting.

  • [Ratty] KaiRo reminded us that we need to grow our contributor community. I’m not sure where we could discuss this. I have no idea on how to do this. Perhaps we can get some Engagement experts from Mozilla to give us some suggestions?
    • [IanN] might have a chat with some people and see if they can point me in the right direction.

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2014-04-01

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • Many top oranges are currently unowned. Please respond if needinfo’ed on them.
Stability

Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

Next Merge: April 28, 2014 Next Release: April 29, 2014
Trains
Central: 31 Aurora: 30 Beta: 29 Release: 28
?? bugs (?? bugs last week) ?? bugs (?? bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 30 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 29 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

There will be a tree closing window on April 5, 2014 of 3 hours, details in bug 985503. Expected start at 0700 PT (2014-04-05 14:00 UTC).

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

B2G Services (dougt)

  • Experimental switch of Firefox Nightly to Mozilla’s Location Service in a few weeks.

DOM (jst/overholt)

We did a bunch of cool stuff this quarter, the notable things that we didn’t quite get done are:

  • ICC *almost* enabled. Ran into an existing intermittent leak that got more frequent, i.e. we have a better chance of fixing it now!

  • Window *almost* converted to WebIDL. We’ve seen this green on try, but ran into more stuff when merging etc. Really close, would’ve likely been done now if it wasn’t for some unplanned downtime in the team.
  • <picture> element up n’ running, but not quite there yet.

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • Landed in FxTeam bug 968308 – UI telemetry for home panels

  • Nice bug fix for bug 976723 – Selection handle scrolls outside boundary of <input> on page scroll also landed in FXTeam, we’ll see how it looks to uplift
  • WebApps experience for Android continues to improve with bug 933979 – Uninstalled webapps take up a lot of space
  • There’s been a bit of gfx related activity for Fx30, landings:
    • bug 988370 – Regression: position: fixed element corruption when panning and (uplift to Fx30) and bug 983208 – Regression: Panning and zooming yields flickering and or vanishing content
  • GFX WIP: bug 988882 – Regression: fixed position header and site interaction broken on DuckDuckGo Goodies; content hidden behind the address-bar
    • bug 989278 – Scrolled page in Readermode produces banner strip artifact

    • bug 986991 – Text entry fields ‘refreshing’ in weird manner

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

    • Flame setup build system.

    • Vixen working with Via for the community project as flatfish.
    • Dolphin
    • Tarako
      • 2 engineers are onsite in sprd shanghai.

      • 1.3T+ still the first priority.
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • Bug fixing.

    • In-house certification test (PTS) for 1.4 has started. (BlueZ, bluedroid)
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • Fixed bugs and implemented features (PlatformDecoderModule and MediaCodec integration)
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)

    • Worked on Feature Detection API and Device Storage API

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • bug 989595 – [Tarako]wifi stay searching after turn on/off wifi some times

  • bug 984919 – [RIL][DSDS] New calls an inactive SIM when there is an active SIM should be rejected
  • bug 889737 – [MMI] Unify both sendMMI() and dial() functions
  • bug 983522 – Enable cell broadcast and broadcast SMS at the same time.
  • bug 983315 – [Messages][DSDS] Provide a feedback while we’re switching the data APN to send a MMS
  • bug 959434 – [B2G][NFC]Support secure element for NFC daemon.
  • bug 978027 – [B2G] Need to implement API for getCdmaPrlVersion.
  • bug 933588 – B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++.
  • bug 989834 – It takes 10 seconds to unload wifi driver on Sora
  • bug 980701 – [B2G][Gaia][System][Buri] The proximity sensor activates unnecessarily when not in a call causing glitchy behavior.
  • bug 949675 – Support HTTP->Rtsp Channel redirects.
  • bug 975778 – [B2G] [Emulator] Support CDMA_FLASH command for Cdma call waiting and 3way calling scenario.
  • bug 984326 – [B2G] [RIL] [CDMA] call waiting isn’t working properly. The 2nd remote party cannot hear voice.
  • bug 961921 – B2G RIL: [DSDS] Separate roaming preference for each client.
  • bug 986365 – Crash in supplicant because of closing supplicant while waiting for event.

GFX (milan)

<Read Only>

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Very successful JavaScript and Low Level Tools Team work week last week in Toronto agenda and raw meetings notes

    • Trip Report summarizing meetings and decisions in progress – will be published to dev-planning and JS team blog
  • Generational GC landed! \o/ bug 619558

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Three landings expected this week:

    • First part of MediaStream refactor (padenot)

    • AEC in getUserMedia
    • Update webrtc.org code to 3.50 (likely will temporarily break BSD ports, etc)
  • Opus ARM assembler improvements should land

Performance (vladan)

Perf team Q2 goals: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-Q2-Goals#Perf

Vladan on PTO April 2-18, Avi Halachmi (:avih) substituting

Asus Transfomer T100 laptop/tablet initiative:

  • Focus on providing the best user experience (UX feel, features, performance) on lowest common denominator hardware

    • Try to become the best browser on this specific hardware

    • Firefox will be even better on higher spec stuff
  • Our test machines should be different from our development machines (similar to Android development)
  • Procure it as needed for your projects: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2NR1AU2763
  • Why this particular device:
    • Popular: according to Amazon.com, it’s been one of top sellers in the “Laptop Computers” category for months

    • Both tablet & laptop formats
    • Cheap + low-end (Atom CPU, integrated graphics, SSD+HDD)

Profiler enhancements:

  • bug 963158: Profiler shouldn’t sample sleeping threads multiple times

  • bug 987297: Improve memory usage of profiler by packing ProfileEntry structs together better
  • bug 962262: Use external structure padding to save ~30% of circular buffer space
  • bug 986160: Create unit tests for the Gecko Profiler
  • bug 967619: Talos Profiling has hit some snags, likely Talos profiling on Windows will not be initially supported
  • bug 758697: Working on improving profiler support for B2G

Most common sources of main-thread I/O, according to Telemetry:

Miscellaneous fixes:

  • bug 987101: Switch the CrashMonitor to native OS.File.read() for better performance

  • bug 989326: Loader.jsm should neither flush nor perform main thread I/O

Seceng (mmc)

Mozilla::pkix is now ON by default (for firefox). This a signficant rewrite of or certificate verification library. Please report any compatibility, performance or security issues. To disable set security.use_mozillapkix_verification to false. (master bug for enabling in all products is https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=915930)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 8.86 (Previous Week: 8.63).

  • mochitest-bc continues to timeout with high frequency.
  • 37 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.
    • Shout out to Ehsan who has been fixing some long-running oranges recently.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

11:02 vladan: is Engineering meeting happening?
11:02 vladan: ^ cpeterson 
11:02 cpeterson: vladan: delayed until 11:20
11:03 vladan: oh ok
11:03 vladan: cpeterson: thanks
11:03 KaiRo: bsmedberg: any audible from you for the platform meeting?
11:03 bsmedberg: no
11:03 KaiRo: thx
11:05 cviecco_adium: platform meeting is on?
11:05 KaiRo: cpeterson: I do have an audible for stability today
11:05 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok
11:05 KaiRo: cviecco_adium: cpeterson says delayed until 11:20
11:05 cviecco_adium: KaiRo. Thanks
11:10 Disconnected

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-04-0111:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

31-March-2014

Mozilla Project: 2014-03-31

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 11:00 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

Dominik and Rina would like to nominate Mahay Alam Khan (a.k.a. Mak) for running the recruitment for our local community research in Bangladesh and for his last minute help on our survey! Mak is truly a great organiser and leader! Thanks so much!

Upcoming Events

Tuesday, 01 April

Wednesday, 02 April

Thursday, 03 April

  • 10:00 AM Pacific / 17:00 UTC: Grow Mozilla discussion — a forum for discussing community building at Mozilla

Saturday, 05 April

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox Mobile

Speaker Location: (mfinkle)

  • Quick Share: Now on context menus too!

  • Firefox Hub – Stage 1: Testing some Feed related panels
  • Testing snippets on Nightly
  • UI Telemetry is starting to land
  • Keep testing Sync and Webapps!

Webmaker

Speaker Location: nonverbal update

  • Help us test the WebLitMapper, a new bookmarklet for tagging content around the web that aligns with the Web Literacy Map.

    • Try it out and share feedback here.

Open Badges

Speaker Location: nonverbal update

Mozilla Science Lab

Speaker Location: nonverbal update

Open News

Speaker location: nonverbal update

Grow Mozilla

Speaker Location: San Francisco

Pierros Papadeas has created some graphics that show how the People, Engagement and Foundation teams are coordinating to increase the number of active contributors by 10x this year.

It’s not every day that you get to talk about sharks, parachutes and hard hats when describing the work you do, so I definitely wanted to share the images. Check out the full explanation to learn more.

If you have any questions about how this will help you grow community around your projects, feel free to join the Grow Mozilla discussion this Thursday, post to the community building mailing list or attend the upcoming Enabling Communities Town Hall.

IT

Speaker Location: mjeffries, San Francisco

ServiceNow improvements video now posted – check out the changes we have made to make ServiceNow easier to use for your IT needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xv_wU-6_VQ

EUS, WPR, and WebEngineering have made improvements to employee and guest badging:
Employee and guest badging systems have been updated and improved.
Employee badging stations are now in all Mozilla Spaces, and will enable individual and workweek badging at all locations.
Peekaboo guest badging system improvements
Peekaboo stations have been deployed to all Mozilla Spaces.
WebEngineering is working on more improvements for Peekaboo.

Desk Phone improvements
Made perf. improvements to improve phone system management.
Faster number lookup- less than 7 seconds for extension lookup, among other improvements.

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Mike Taylor Web Compat Engineer webcompat.com Austin, TX Yes n/a http://dev.webcompat.com
William Reynolds Product manager for Community Tools Add more accounts to mozillians.org and new Reps activities system San Francisco No mozillians.org post mozillians.org post,
Reps activities system post
Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Howie Chang Kevin Hu Taipei(record) Taipei Firefox OS – Engineering PM

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600

    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

27-March-2014

Mobile: 2014-03-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2014-04-28

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Ashwin Swaroop fixed bug 983860 – AndroidFxAccount.enableSyncing() log message says “Disabling”

  • Vlad Tanase fixed bug 983475 – Remove shouldShowProgress from browser.js
  • Chris Kitching fixed bug 987340 – NPE at org.mozilla.gecko.favicons.decoders.LoadFaviconResult.getBytesForDatabaseStorage(LoadFaviconResult.java)

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?

  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

JChen

Past week

  • bug 984458 – NativeJSObject (JNI-wrapped Javascript object) to replace JSON for Gecko-to-Java messaging

    • 100-200% performance improvement compared to JSON

    • Direct conversion from Uint32Array to byte[] for binary data instead of base64

Fixed

Working on

GCP

<Read Only>

  • Last week:

    • Reviews: VP8 HW, SafeBrowsing, WebRTC

    • Profiling WebRTC

Fixed

Working on

  • Next week:

    • Get B2G building again

    • WebRTC H264 accel

Randall Barker

  • Last Week: Worked on bug 759448 – Prevent listeners from being registered until needed. Got Roku box white listed for NDK work.

  • This Week: Wrap up bug 759448 and move forward on WebRTC on Roku.

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

Past/present/future: bug 946022 – Implement requestAutocomplete for Firefox for Android

WesJ

<Read Only>

  • Helping at GDC last week.

  • One last try run, and hopefully quickshare will land. Had to do some compat work for Gingerbread.
  • bug 985875 Regression in select elements
  • bug 956716 Lockup with context menus on base64 images
  • bug 933979 Cleanup after webapps
  • Reviews
  • Digging back into second screen stuff. There was actually a lot of interest in this (and mobile in general) at gdc.

jdover

<Read Only>

current

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 972098 – Cursors returned from the SQLiteBridge don’t update when data updates

  • bug 969043 – Log warning if HomeProvider consumer tries saving data outside of sync window
  • bug 974454 – Allow showing only description in panel image items
  • bug 987962 – Reset isLoaded state in HomeFragment on configuration change
  • bug 974434 – Add support for items with variable height in PanelGridView
  • bug 974601 – Avoid saving new configuration on refresh if still using default HomeConfig
  • (In progress) bug 976064 – Create a loader per panel view instead of per dataset id
  • (In progress) bug 988355 – Only force reload on configuration changes in DynamicPanel
  • (In progress) bug 940575 – Implement per-profile SharedPreferences, eliminating uses of PreferenceManager
  • Tons and tons of reviews

Next week

  • Prepare talk for event next week

  • Tiles v1 work
  • More hub stuff

sola

This week

  • bug 968308 – UI telemetry for home panels

  • bug 857990 – Save/Restore scroll position for an article in Reader Mode
  • bug 909618 – Remember about:home tab selection

liuche

<Read Only>

Margaret

<Read Only>

Highlights

Fixed

Working on

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • investigate bug 979623 – NullPointerException when starting geckoview_example

  • bug 985610 – Remove duplicate menu_item_textsize definition.
  • Investigate bug 977945 – Intermittent PROCESS-CRASH | java-exception | java.lang.StackOverflowError at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.constructNative(Native Method) | followed by testSessionHistory | GeckoEventExpecter – blockForEvent timeout: Gecko:Ready

Present

  • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along

  • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 965548 – Add a way to close edit mode in one tap
  • bug 957894 – Update account pickling code for Firefox Account

Future

  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off

  • bug 898613 – [fig] Editing mode tests (followup to bug 895828)
  • bug 963446 – Extend SyncAccountDeletedService to handle deleting client record for Firefox Accounts + Sync 1.5

esawin

<Read Only>

Fixed

Working on

nalexander

  • Eclipse

I blogged 10 mini-video tutorials about developing Fennec with Eclipse at http://www.ncalexander.net/blog/2014/03/24/eclipse-mini-tutorials/

  • Firefox Accounts

Diving deep into the weeds that need trimming in order for us to rev our on-disk Account storage formats, a pre-requisite for bug 975625. Plan is to re-work the Android Account types for all Fennec packages in order to prevent cross-package shenanigans. This will allow both the Beta and Release packages to sync at the same time (which hasn’t been supported up to now) at the cost of requiring both packages to set up Sync. (For perspective: we believe we have a handful of users with multiple packages installed and in active use. The vast majority of our userbase won’t notice a difference.)

BLassey

  • Getting reviews on the UI for Tab Streaming bug 928096

  • stole bug 979623, NPE in GNM from GVE, from mcomella
  • bug 979438 Unify target SDK version
  • trying to carve out time to look at Chromecast support

Ian Barlow

  • Hub support – wrapping up initial RSS-themed release

  • Tiles – initial design exploration underway
  • UI Telemetry
  • Roku
    • spinning this back up with Zhenshuo and Anthony again

    • getting very close to a testable v1 version. Keep an eye on Nightlies!
  • Tablets
  • FxA
    • Trying to get a little Android promo into the desktop FxA flow

    • Have some bugs to look at for nalexander, appreciate your patience :)
  • Q2 planning
  • multi-year planning
  • In Vancouver next week
  • In Denver the week after
  • Omg the meetings

Arun

  • Updated with designs

    • Bug 663803 – Provide magnifying glass in areas of clustered links

    • Bug 985516 – [meta] Form Autofill
  • Working on ideas & sketches for Android Search Widget

WebRT

  • Fx29 Beta testing underway with focus on developers

  • great discussions in Hacks blog post, some further discussion in dev-webapps forum and Yammer thread
  • priorities are developer-facing issues in Fx29 Beta and user-facing issues in Fx30 Aurora
  • still bouncing off zarro blookers for Fx29 release
  • Noteworthy Bugs:
    • bug 985184 – WebappsUpdateTimer.js not packaged with Fennec (fixed and uplifted)

    • bug 985195 – WebappsUpdateTimer shares timer ID with nsUpdateService (fixed and uplifted)
    • bug 984028 – some apps have default Android icon at some resolutions (fixed server-side)
    • bug 982557 – updating Fennec to a version with Synthetic APKs triggers app updates that hang on launch (fixed; will request uplift)
    • bug 982559 – updating to Synthetic APKs and tapping Home screen icon for previously-installed webapp crashes Fennec (awaiting review)
    • bug 986085 – User-hand-holding to check the Unknown Sources checkbox (under investigation)

Feature Focus

<Read Only> <== I have to jet to a 10AM but will put progress bar improvements to ‘on track’ for Fx31. Also, what about Fx30 permissions bump? Yes or no?

Fx29, Ships 04/29
Fx30, Ships 06/10
Fx31, Ships on 07/22

Round Table

Good read

http://www.otsukare.info/2014/03/24/webcompat-china

QA


Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC

  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-03-26

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases

Firefox Mobile

Current Releases

Thank you for 28.0.1

Beta (29)

Aurora (30)

Nightly (31)

Developer Tools

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • USR 27 today

  • Snippet surveys live in Release
  • Lots of Australis feedback rolling in for Beta. Similar to what we have seen previously. Expect the usual feedback reports for Australis.

Mobile

  • USR 27 today

Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team

Desktop/Platform

  • Google Now is in Chrome for Windows and Mac, [1] in addition to Android and iOS users. [2] 90% of those who have a personal assistant [3] feature on their phone use it because it’s quicker, easier, and more convenient than traditional mobile use. Nearly 60% use it every day and over 80% want to use the same mobile personal assistant across all of their devices – phones, tablets, PCs, cars, TVs, apps and cameras [4], and Google is getting ready to use it along these lines [5]

Mobile/Android

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Marketing

  • Australis onboarding tour went to Beta – various tests running to optimize copy

  • Heads-down working on a social share campaign to launch to support the Australis launch

PR


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC

  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)

  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL

26-March-2014

Mozilla Platform: 2014-03-25

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 12:00 am

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • mochitest-bc continues to be extremely timeout-prone. Evaluating options like splitting devtools into a separate suite (bug 984930), pushing harder on chunking work (bug 819963 and deps) which jmaher has gotten little support on, closing the trees OOMpocalypse-style, etc.
Stability

Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lsblakk/sylvestre)

  • 28.0.1 mobile shipped!

  • 29b2 will ship shortly if no critical issue found
  • Hot fix done for 27 & 28 because of bug 985627 (safebrowsing)
Next Merge: April 28, 2014 Next Release: April 29, 2014
Trains
Central: 31 Aurora: 30 Beta: 29 Release: 28
21 bugs (?? bugs last week) 81 bugs (?? bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 30 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 29 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Developer Tools (robcee)

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • last minute Q1 goals finishing

    • cross-thread cycle collection

    • web components
    • <picture>
    • Service Workers (+ Push)
    • TCP Socket (JS -> C++)
  • mccr8 almost ready to land ICC on trunk preffed on by default

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • We spun a 28.0.1 to provide a fix for a h.264 playback issue; thank to those who made that happen bug 963621. We’re looking into bug 987223

  • Fixed as of Fx30, thanks gfx team for the turnaround! bug 983208 Regression: Panning and zooming yields flickering and or vanishing content
  • Lots of progress made on figuring out ServiceWorkers on Android, working through startup issues
  • Also in progress/partially landed bug 928096 – UI for Tab streaming

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Device porting (Gonk team)

  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)

    • No update. Work on issues and new APIs.
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)

    • 1.3+/1.3T+/1.4+ bug fixing

      • bug 984834 – Video playback glitch observed when device resumes after suspend (fixed from Gaia)

      • bug 977797 – [B2G][Video] crash in android::MediaBuffer::release (investigated and in the end it’s was set to Resolved Invalid)
      • bug 975955 – the audio gaps after lock screen (landed)
      • bug 983539 – Music and ringtone may appear at the same time if an incoming call occurs while listening to music – (investigated and vendor took this over.)
  • Device Storage & Stability (members: Alan Huang, Alphan Chen)

    • Alan takes the analysis job of Tarako issues.

    • Alphan has started to work on Feature Detection API implementation (bug 983502).

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Team is neck-deep into getting the big list of madai camera features ready and landed with partner contributions. We are in the process of merging 12+ features from branch into master early this week — when features look stable on master, the plan is to uplift it into 1.4

  • Also addressing blocking bugs from 1.3, 1.3T, 1.4 releases — gallery and music audio channel related issues. Engineers from Taipei are helping with these fixes.

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

    • Flame (Mozilla FxOS Reference Device)

      • Power Perf: Has a switchable USB charger, so we can take power measurements while the phone is plugged in via USB.

      • Automation: Has a unique serial number, which allows multiple devices to be plugged into the same host PC.
      • These two features make it possible to use it for power regression testing on a large-scale basis
    • Mercurial Bisect Bug

      • Dave Huseby conclusively showed last week that mercurial’s topographic sort for bisecting BREAKS when the “oldest” end of the bisect range isn’t a common ancestor.

      • If you get a message telling you to use “hg bisect –extend” you have to re-run your entire bisect using the common ancestor it gives you. See bug 960224 for details.
      • Dave has a blog post in the works to explain all of the details (with pretty graphs) and why mercurial breaks.
      • Find Dave (:huseby) on IRC if you hit this problem.
      • git bisecting

Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • bug 984919 – [RIL][DSDS] New calls an inactive SIM when there is an active SIM should be rejected

  • bug 889737 – [MMI] Unify both sendMMI() and dial() functions
  • bug 983064 – [Sora][Message][MMS]There isn’t “x-wap-profile” in MMS log.
  • bug 976897 – [Sora][Message][MMS]The MMS sending too long time sometimes.
  • bug 959434 – [B2G][NFC]Support secure element for NFC daemon.
  • bug 978027 – [B2G] Need to implement API for getCdmaPrlVersion.
  • bug 906164 – mozHasPendingMessage() should queue messages even when app is running
  • bug 933588 – B2G NFC: Rewrite NFC Worker in C++.
  • bug 980701 – [B2G][Gaia][System][Buri] The proximity sensor activates unnecessarily when not in a call causing glitchy behavior.
  • bug 949675 – Support HTTP->Rtsp Channel redirects.
  • bug 971593 – [RTSP] Resource leak of HTMLMediaElement containing RTSP media resource
  • bug 975778 – [B2G] [Emulator] Support CDMA_FLASH command for Cdma call waiting and 3way calling senarion
  • bug 984326 – [B2G] [RIL] [CDMA] call waiting isn’t working properly. The 2nd remote party cannot hear voice.
  • bug 960426 – Support Network Information API in Firefox OS
  • bug 985892 – Enable UICC Secure Element on Nexus 5.

Firefox OS Systems – Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

Meeting note

Team summary

  • Blocker count is now at 12, some of them are owned by other teams (in Gaia::Settings)

  • Working with Joe, Ivan on a resolution of bug 975343 (DSDS info in device info in Settings – one last unowned 1.4 blocker)
  • 1.3T: Dominic is working on bug 987022 as an workaround to memory constraint in Tarako.
  • keyboard2: All code have been converted to constructor pattern; currently working on tests and layout loading.
  • 3rd-party keyboard: OOP enabled on master/1.5.
  • Copy-paste: No update; will start working only after Gecko have WIP patch.
  • lock screen: Modularization (LockScreenWindow etc) to be landed this week. Next: move to an independent pre-load app. Need to sync with madai partner on what they need.
  • Window Management: Landing bug 961800 (Child window factory; haida related work)
  • Build script: The patch introducing an objdir to Gaia bug 897352 is ready but need to resolve some Windows situration.
  • System2: bubble-tea patches is being landed individually instead, more bug WIP.
  • Setting2: AMD patch landed, MVVM patch to land this week and panels to be moved next.

GFX (milan)

  • Graphics team is back from the sequestered “tiling on B2G” work. We are catching up, it may take time to get to your items. Just let us know.

  • Graphics work week coming up next week. The schedule is in the works, but the goals and sessions are filling up: https://intranet.mozilla.org/Graphics/WorkWeek201303

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

  • Cloud Services workweek in MV, Mar 31 – Apr 4
  • Firefox Accounts on FxOS (spenrose)

    • Core UI is now in gaia master

    • So start developing your apps with FxA signin!
  • Sync (ckarlof)

    • Please keep testing beta and nightly

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

NOTE: JavaScript work week this week in Toronto: Agenda

NOTE: Part of the team was out last week for GDC

  • Compiler (JIT)

    • bug 948229: Landed removal of inline-frame-profiling from Ion
  • Garbage Collection
    • n/a
  • Front End and Other
    • bug 983577: TypedObject array sequential map significantly slower than Array map

    • bug 983486: Landed code to collect parallel arenas between iterations (Bug 983486)

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

Layout team Q2 goals draft (send feedback to jet:)

  • Table Rendering with DisplayLists
  • Layout to Moz2D

  • GFx work items

    • {Q2?} APZC Desktop

    • E10S BasicCompositor
    • GFx tiling
    • Accelerated Filters
      • spec work

      • shader & support work
  • Animations & Transitions

    • transitions/animations spec editing

    • transitions refactoring to match new spec (bug 960465)
    • frame reconstruction (bug 625289)
  • OMTA on non-B2G Platforms (bug 980770)

    • test_animations covering OMTA

    • fix correctness bugs (cascading, etc.)
    • turning on on other OMTC platforms (Mac/Android)
  • Web Animations

    • provide an API for querying basic properties of running CSS animations/transitions
  • Ship and/or unprefix:

    • position:sticky

    • Font-features that need fallback support (eg. small-caps)
  • 3D Transforms

    • interop bugs and spec improvement (bug 976365)

    • implement preserve-3d proposal
    • perf work
    • {Q2?} plane splitting
  • {Q2?} CSS object-fit/object-position
  • CSS Fonts

  • font load events
  • {Q2?} unicode-range
  • Font Inflation and Reflow-on-Zoom

    • both implementation bug fixing and spec work

    • -moz-text-size-adjust
  • {Q2?} CSS Filters (project with Adobe)

  • {Q2?} CSS Masking (project with Adobe)
  • {Q2?} CSS Compositing (project with Adobe)
  • ImageLib

    • {Q2?} RasterImage for multiple images

    • Media Fragments support

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • First MediaStreamGraph refactors about to start landing

  • Those will enable moving the echo cancellation to getUserMedia (bug 694814) which should continue improving AEC quality. Those patches are up for review.
  • May experimentally turn on noise reduction in getUserMedia globally. Adjustable via media.peerconnection.noise_enabled
  • Work continuing with Cisco on OpenH264, starting to involve other teams. Target is Firefox 33.
  • Expecting to land update of webrtc.org code (latest stable branch) to match what will be in Chrome 34. Target is next week.
  • Working to improve Opus performance on FxOS

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • New landing date for HTTP cache v2 is early May

    • we may need help if your code is made orange by cache2 and it’s doesn’t appear to be our fault :)
  • HTTP/2 draft 10 in review

  • 10 year old Download manager bug (bug 237623) getting close–we may start to report incomplete transfers as an error to necko consumers

Performance (vladan)

  • Vladan on PTO starting Wednesday, April 2nd (next week) to Friday, April 18th. Direct all inquiries to Avi Halachmi (:avih <ahalachmi@mozilla.com>)

The files above show up in more than 50% of Telemetry main-thread I/O submissions. The reported I/O is done outside startup and shutdown

  • bug 935482: Starting work on detecting new sources of main-thread I/O in automated tests

  • bug 970495: Switch SessionFile.read() to use the native OS.File read() – startup time benefit
  • bug 962573: New crop of Firefox power-usage bugs
  • Consider using ask.mozilla.org, a StackOverflow style forum for Gecko platform questions

Seceng (mmc)

<Read Only>

  • bug 985627 – Parts of application reputation hit stable in FF 28, had to get rolled back in a hotfix because of network side effects

  • bug 985623 – Trying again in FF 29
  • Lightbeam 1.0.9 out, with fixes for Australis and data uploading

Shumway (mbx)

  • “Are We Flash Yet?” gallery to preview Shumway content without installing Shumway add-on: http://www.areweflashyet.com/shumway/gallery

  • New WebGL compositor coming soon
  • New ActionScript->TypeScript->JavaScript bindings

WebAPI (overholt)

  • baku has been porting DataStore to C++, starting with DataStore service

  • bent is working on PBackground (a top-level IPDL protocol) and getting IDB ported to it
  • janv has been re-working our internal quota manager API and moving it to PBackground

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

MemShrink (njn)

  • Firefox’s start-up memory consumption, as measured by AWSY, has almost doubled in the past two years. While this isn’t reason to panic, it is worth investigation. This dev-platform thread discusses the contribution of new system compartments, and whether they can be avoided.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 8.63 (Previous Week: 4.09).

  • 20 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers are getting into the normal range, though Aurora still needs more uptake and beta seems to be somewhat on the high side – we’re still investigating.

  • Watch Planet Mozilla for a soon-to-come post from KaiRo on Effectiveness of the Stability Program (with long-term crash graphs).

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

  • (dholbert): Introduce Kip (Kearwood Gilbert) recent hire on Layout team, out of Vancouver

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

13:42 KaiRo: bsmedberg: any audible from you on stability for the platform meeting?
13:42 bsmedberg: no
13:42 KaiRo: thanks
13:43 KaiRo: cpeterson: no audible from stability today
13:43 cpeterson: ok
13:55 cpeterson: is anyone joining the Engineering meeting from MV?
13:56 cpeterson: dougt ^
13:59 davidb: �we need MV on first
14:01 bsmedberg: where's SF?
14:02 RyanVM|sheriffduty: dholbert: ooo, what's the new MTV room naming scheme?
14:02 RyanVM|sheriffduty: cpeterson: give the all-clear here when we're good to log back in?
14:02 robcee: ok bai let us know when we can / should / if rejoin
14:02 cpeterson: everyone can log back in now
14:03 RyanVM|sheriffduty: tries to discern what the green screen in the background at MV is
14:06 dougt: cpeterson: yes
14:06 cpeterson: dougt: nm
14:06 dveditz: mtg notes for those looking: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-03-25
14:07 dveditz: RyanVM|sheriffduty: there are 4 "quadrants" in MV for conference names.
14:08 dveditz: one is "space" (mostly solar system objects, plus a couple closer stars), another is super-heros, another is star-wars, and the one closest to the platform team area is Sci-fi TV shows
14:16 overholt: cpeterson means "Lovely Toronto"
14:52 Disconnected

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-03-2511:00 am Pacific Standard Time

  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411

    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress