- Next merge: 2014-07-21
Friends of the Mobile Team
Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.
- Ethan Pransky fixed bug 1016613 – ViewStub RemoteTabsPanel
- vikneshwar fixed bug 1008825 – Synchronous XMLHttpRequest to load options.xul
- Mark Capella fixed bug 1003610 – Remote Tabs shouldn’t lose scroll position
- Matthew fixed bug 1028815 – “7 days ago” label in History panel is confusing
- vivekb has patches in the review cycle for bug 830270 (!) and bug 977164
- What did you do last week?
- What are working on this week?
- Anything blocking you?
Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!
James W. (snorp)
- Continued work trying to get Janus ready for testing (hoping for this week!)
- Filed bugs (and a patch) about startup performance issues. Hoping to do more profiling this week.
- Resurrected LZMA gecko patches and implemented LZMA support in Janus.
- Reviews, management, etc.
- Background hang dashboard is now live at telemetry.mozilla.org/hang/bhr
- Native stack support going through review in bug 1016629
- 1016441 – Switch to using real-time signal in ThreadStackHelper
- 1033006 – Use-after-free bug in BasicCodeModules::BasicCodeModules
- 1023303 – Regression: Unable to delete first character in address-bar value that has been auto-completed
- 1016629 – Add native stack support in ThreadStackHelper
- 1034138 – Get the native stack during a permanent thread hang
- Last Week: Was able to stream camera from fennec add on. Need to be able to select source to stream tab. Started work to get patch(es) ready for review and landing.
- This Week: Continue work on landing standalone WebRTC.
- Proxy (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus)
- Debug metrics and custom listeners for tests (https://github.com/mozilla/node-janus/issues/10)
- Metrics: Grafana + Graphite work together (but don’t like each other very much)
Present & Future
- Last week: landed tests in Janus
- Next week: replace phantomJS with Marionette and continue improving the test framework
- Last Week: Got video working smoothly, some issues with certain H264 encoders (ffmpeg)
- This Week: Get AAC audio working.
- bug 901803 – Integrate chromecast support into Firefox. Landed (disabled)! Still pushing rel-eng to get things we need on build machines.
- Working on Bug 1006158 – Build against Android v7 support library and Google Play Services.
- Still looking into an add-on for desktop to support casting.
- Split off a really simple homescreen widget. bug 1035642 – Provide a simple launcher widget for Firefox and the Search Activity. Waiting on reviews/images. Will build out better widget tricks from there.
- bug 1014712 – use msapplication-TileImage and msapplication-TileColor to create home page tiles. One last review needed
- bug 1004495 – Tapping on a download notification doesn’t do anything (if Firefox is in the background). Talked to brian. I think we’re r+ here.
- bug 989094 – Webrtc permissions prompt should remember your last choice. Still waiting for review.
- 1010986 – Dynamic panel list view drawn only after scrolling
- 1025062 – Verify that a site is not yet pinned before adding a dupe
- 1025069 – Both Versions of SUMO (http & https – suggested) can be pinned
- 1025812 – Last added pin to Top Sites Grid has the name grayed out
- 1028710 – Flickering of views during transition on opening a New Private Tab when tab drawer open and on tab drawer open/close animation
- 1035131 – Fix issues around user entered pinned sites and suggested sites
- 1029046 – Disable recent tabs panel in migration if all panels are disabled
- 1030141 – crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Default panel in HomeConfig state is undefined at org.mozilla.gecko.home.HomeConfig$Editor.initFromState(HomeConfig.java)
- 1031363 – crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.home.TabMenuStripLayout.onPageSelected(TabMenuStripLayout.java)
- 1010740 – Toolbar refinement – Change entry asset and tweak padding
- 1034167 – TwoWayView crashes in Android L
- 1012462 – Support suggested sites in distribution files
- Contextual hints: bug 1021751 – Home page contextual hint, bug 1014293 – Private browsing contextual hint
- Finishing up various “Recent tabs” bugs for margaret (bug 1028795, bug 1014293, bug 1023270)
- Settings regression
- More misc telemetry
- 905262 – [fig] Create a JS add-on API for adding content to the promotional banner
- 1017912 – Restore tab in correct position when undoing close tab
- 1018432 – Add telemetry for “+” button in tabs tray
- 1030736 – Don’t include ignored about:home tabs in count to determine whether or not to show “Open all” button
- WIP toward the minimum mockup (http://cl.ly/image/3r0d2e1i3W2W)
- Search history: (1030277) → rnewman is timing the landing of this
- Fragment lifecycles (1033686) → in review with nalexander
- Replace wordlist dict with Yahoo OpenSearch (1035341) → ready to start review
- TODO for the minimum mockup:
- Create a search history card (1022100)
- Revert to GeckoView to WebView? (1029292)
- bug 1024778 – Do not use onFinishInflate in RemoteTabs*Panel
- [meta] bug 979921 – Misc Android 2.3 test failures
- bug 1021356 – Refine visuals in empty private tabs screen
- bug 1025546 – Support various image views in Hub panels
- bug 1020534 – Tablet toolbar icons hard to read on dark lightweight themes
- bug 1030363 – Create Sound.jsm for Android
- bug 1030715 – The orange animation bar gets stuck when the pull to refresh action is performed slowly
- Too busy with other things:
- bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
- bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests
- SF visit. (See notes from last week — same again.)
- Misc Kindle bugs, both fixing and triaging.
- One interesting one: all activity/fragment transitions flicker through black; investigation yields no leads. bug 1031872
- Finishing up and landing distrodistros. It lives!
- Landed ckitching’s DB improvements. Ready for Eric and Wes to race to landing.
- Reviews and jaw-flapping.
- Rescued from the database bug I started before my arrival: bug 1024289 by RNewman.
- Continuing prototyping work for RNewman’s flow-preserving link-opening bubble-overlay thing.
- Some initial work on IDEA support, now looking much more doable after nalexander’s recent blog/mailing list post (thanks!)
- Landing Search Activity
- Unlikely to be on in 33
- Reviews and integration
- Herding MozStumbler to landing
- Lots of open questions with integration
- Blogging! Documenting!
- One critical bug on my plate: bug 1032217
- Will be PTO July 23 through August 11
- chromecast tab casting
- can cast camera to the chromecast
- next step is to add annotations to the constraints pasted to gUM to select a camera stream
- In SF next week for:
- Search awesomeness
- General in-person hacking
- Launcher / Lock screen synthesis
- Manager stuff
- Last week
- Sync panels design
- Mobile Toolbar refinements with Lucas
- General bugs
- Tablet UI design research
- Next up
- IN SF for Search Activity
- Tablets UX/UI design
- Starting on some forms, and type scale sheets to go with our icons
- bug 763671 – New designs for fennec form elements
- Bugs follow up
- Generate insights from lock screen and launcher study
- Turn onboarding strategy into design ideas. Mini workshop in SF next week.
- white screen of sorrow bug 1003962 landing; may fix other bugs
- getting bitten by DOM Apps regressions like bug 1035867 and bug 1036143
- Marketplace team finishing up fixes for Marketplace website on Android
Cogito ergo sum…
- bug 1003962 Line Runner hangs on launch with white screen – landing
- bug 1029691 Manifest not being checked on APK installation – blocked on bug 960584
- bug 1021395 Web app machinery dumps lots of semi-sensitive data to logcat – blocked on bug 1032936
- bug 960584 notify user of download progress indication when fetching APK – patch reviewed, needs updating
- bug 986085 User-hand-holding to check the Unknown Sources checkbox – patch needs updating
- bug 878830 Unable to install any form of web application on the Samsung Galaxy SIV – needs info from jhugman and wesj
- bug 997717 Errors during package download aren’t handled correctly – patch needs updating
- bug 1017235 Turn on Contacts API for Android – no progress
- bug 960703 Manifest icon not used for synthesized APK in Android 2.3 – needs info from jhugman
- bug 957065 uninstall synthetic APK when web page with privileges calls mozApps.mgmt.uninstall() – needs info from jhugman
- bug 1026263 Error writing default prefs during packaged web app installation – no progress
- bug 1009954 implement unit tests for WebappManager – patch needs updating
- New info on running Android 2.3 emulator tests locally: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Fennec/Android#Running_the_Android_2.3_ARM_emulator
- QA Release Test-Plans
- Yesterday I was predicting a regression in crash rate for 31 we have new info
- bug 1028491 has eliminated our #1 top crash
Last week: on B2G Dolphin release
- Land this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1024708
- Properly document remaining items in meta-bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1032506
- Finish up fennec stumbler version 1, I am stumbling with what I have now, and it works.
Firefox 31 (Beta) – Release: Jul 22, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Ability to re-order existing panels in about:home, not via drag and drop (see My List: Manage current lists in settings), bug 959917
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Hub v2 (currently planned feature complete), Epic/Meta bug 1014030
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare Contexts, Epic/Meta bug 1014035
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare: Settable default service for quickshare buttons, Epic/Meta bug 1014037
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare: Collect aggregate usage data, Epic/Meta bug 1014038
- [ON TRACK] UX Telemetry, Epic/Meta bug 1014044
- [ON TRACK] Added locale(s): Hindi(hi), Gujarati (gu), Bengali (bn), Punjabi (pn), Maithili (mai), Marathi (mr), Malayalam (ml), Assamese (as), Oriya (or), Tamil (ta), Telugu (te), Kannada (kn)
- [ON TRACK] EOL official Android 2.2 Support bug 1017242
Firefox 32 (Aurora) – Release: Sep 2, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Hub v3 (bugfixes & polish + more add-ons), Epic/Meta bug 1014032
- [ON TRACK] Suggested sites v1, Epic/Meta bug 988366 Note – Linked wiki page doesn’t exist. Is there another?
- [ON TRACK] Contextual tips for users
- [ON TRACK] UI lang switching
- [ON TRACK] Synced tabs page as entry point into Firefox Accounts & Sync (bug 958889)
- [ON TRACK] Add a Clear History control to the history panel bug 998009
- [ON TRACK] Android Gamepad backend bug 852935
- [ON TRACK] Support weighed snippets bug 1002567
Firefox 33 (Nightly) – Release: Oct 14, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Videocasting (Roku, Firefly, Chromecast), Epic/Meta bug 921924
- [ON TRACK] Search activity v1
- [ON TRACK] Tab mirroring (Roku)
- [ON TRACK] Form auto-fill improvements – Backend
- [ON TRACK] OEM distro service
- [ON TRACK] Suggested sites v2(Distribution support & non-Mozilla suggested sites)
- [ON TRACK] Tabs updates and improvements
- [ON TRACK] Moz Stumbler
- Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
- Dial-in: conference# 99998
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
- CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
- CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
- FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
- irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
- Mobile Vidyo Room