Meeting Notes

22-September-2014

Thunderbird: 2014-09-11

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:19 pm

Thunderbird meeting notes 2014-09-11
Today’s minutes taker, please don’t forget to :
– save etherpad before clearing for this meeting, if etherpad wasn’t previously cleared (but copy “Action items” to the top before clearing)
– after end of meeting, copy entire etherpad contents to a new dated wiki page on http://mzl.la/tbstatus so that they will go public in the meeting notes blog.
– save etherpad, copy “Action items” to “Action items from last meetings”, and clear the rest of etherpad comments

Attendees

  • rkent, florian queze, irving, rolandtanglao, magnus

Action items from last meetings

  • rkent and wsmwk to unblock / deal with bienvenu bugs

Current status and discussions

  • no progress on “bienvenu” bugs
  • comm-central changes on hold pending mercurial changes and signoff by smedberg
  • discussion about kent’s modification to Thunderbird governance proposal is positive
  • much work on summit and video from mconley and rkent
  • summit agenda planning, rkent to ask in tb-planning

Round Table

jcranmer

  • Likely won’t be at meeting today, one of my meetings changed time slots to start 30m before this one
  • according to gps, hg partial checkouts are targetted to land 3.2, more likely to land in 3.3 (release dates of Nov 1/Feb 1, respectively)
    • bsmedberg has said this is his blocker for letting c-c merge into m-c
    • gps plans to make it a high priority to update to newer hg quickly, and now has a new role to make that more possible
  • Played with putting OpenLDAP server in a Docker container

JosiahOne (Not at meeting)

  • Have done reviews and have been giving feedback in bugs, but personal development time has slowed. My development machine has to have a part replaced on Saturday plus I have papers and college applications to finish this month, so availability will be limited until around the time of the Summit.
  • OS X Codesign V2 status is coming along, I’m mostly just waiting for a finished version of the Fx implementation.

rkent

  • Summit: we really need a group of people to work on the agenda. Volunteers?
  • Discussion of reorg plan?

mconley

  • Now acting as interface between TB community and ProTravel Inc
    • The attendees list has been garnered from the wiki, along with 2 extras from Fallen and Florian for Calendar / Chat. Waiting to hear from a few more.
  • Re-connected with Aaron Mandel about a fundraising video. Quote is approximately $600 (+tax), since he likes Mozilla and wants to give us a deal
    • We need to find a good variety (accents, countries of origin, languages) members of the TB community who are comfortable / articulate in front of the camera (about 5-7 people), and come up with “our story”. I suggested our audience be current TB users who don’t actually know what’s happening with Thunderbird.
    • Quickly talk about where Thunderbird came from, the transition to community development, and where we are now – and why we need help. Instead of just talking heads, these interviews will be interspersed with shots of people checking their email, doing calendaring, chatting, etc.
    • We need the quick and punchy stuff: “Put users in control of their email”, “Your email is yours, even when you’re offline”, “Lots of tweaks and add-ons for power users”
    • We also need to send Aaron TB art / assets for graphical work.
    • Once we have our story, we’ll put together a really basic script, so we know who to put in front of the camera, and what questions to ask.
    • Then, I’ll meet with Aaron face-to-face 2 weeks before we shoot to make sure we have everything we need
    • During the summit (probably the Friday), we’ll pull our 5-7 people aside, ask them the questions we’ve scripted (maybe several times to get the sound bites we want), and then Aaron will cut together the video.

clokep (Not attending)

  • Been in contact with some of the DarkMail developers, have been trying to get them to ask questions in #maildev, but they seem to like to ask through me.
    • They’ve said things like “Random people don’t get answers there”
    • More likely they’re working during times when “we’re” not online.

Support team

Action Items

  • mconley: Come up with a short-list of volunteers to go on camera, send out emails with questions on them to get responses, find the responses that resonate, and from that, assemble our script.

Mobile: 2014-09-10

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:18 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2014-10-13

Topics for This Week

Tablet refresh v0 soon in Nightly (disabled by default)
Tentative merge to m-c happening tomorrow.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Julien Sanchez fixed bug 680392 – Localize trademark notice string in about:firefox
  • manu.jain13 fixed bug 1060423 – Cut function in a readonly textarea
  • amoghbl1 fixed bug 1019045 – Unify magnifying glass/search icon
  • eedens fixed bug 1042960 – Create UI elements for facet bar
  • Tristan Pollitt fixed bug 1057613 – Telemetry for search widget buttons
  • vivek fixed bug 799562 – Update about:feedback to use new feedback API

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?
  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

<Read Only>

Alan K. (ack)

JChen

Fixed

Working on

GCP

<Read Only>

Last week

  • bug 1059573 Add support to using DSP-based echo canceller and noise suppressor

Next week

  • bug 1059573 Add support to using DSP-based echo canceller and noise suppressor
  • Standalone WebRTC
  • Media sandboxing

Randall Barker

Last week:

  • Fixed minor issues with Roku Player (aspect ratio, detect dropped stream, etc.)
  • Created SSDP/ECP simulator to debug discovery issues.
  • Rebased standalone WebRTC code and it broke. Started fixing.

Next week:

  • Finish fixing standalone WebRTC.
  • Set up private channel with Roku WebRTC Player to enable testing. Waiting on Roku to do this.
  • Investigate bug 1053426 Fennec crashes when tab sharing is active (Looks to be memory leak)
  • Continue to try and land standalone code.
  • Investigate sending H.264 instead of VP8 video to standalone WebRTC. (Not certain how critical this is as performance of VP8/OpenGL appears adequate)
  • Land bug 1048425 Enable support for tab sharing with Roku device. Possible now that there is something to test against.

Eugen Sawin

Past

Present & Future

  • Janus Proxy
    • Investigating performance issues (using the new metrics and marionette tests)
    • Looking into <picture> element injection
    • Adding TCP/socket stats
  • bug 1034114 – WebApp startup slowed significantly by debug server

Sylvain Cleymans

Last week:

  • Fixed performance testing

Next week:

  • Finish performance testing
  • Finish image compression

Brian Nicholson

  • Transitioning to dougt’s team to work on privacy and security
  • Wrapping up review queue and some bugs

WesJ

<Read Only>
Landing these guys (its taking a bit)

  • bug 1058150 – Use a restricted profile for guest mode. Landed again this morning.
  • bug 966493 – Cannot request fullscreen when inside a touchstart event.
  • bug 815682 – Lock screen widget/shortcut for Guest Sessions on Android 4.2 and above Widgets. Chasing down some Android 2.3 nits. There are little changes for this scattered through startup. Hopefully with:
  • bug 897711 – [guest] Provide an indicator for guest mode in the UI. it will be clear if we make a mistake. :)
  • bug 1042199 – Widget for searching from error pages. This changes how we decide what url to show in the urlbar a bit.

Also looking at:

  • bug 901360 – Convert to Downloads.jsm in Firefox for Android and bug 1063217 – Support a PDF DownloadSaver
  • bug 1064611 – Allow requesting cached content from nsIWebNavigation. For better offline/error experiences.

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

  • Top crasher fix
    • bug 1041448 – crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.home.PinSiteDialog$3.onFocusChange(PinSiteDialog.java)
  • Prep work to merge larch to m-c
    • bug 1053252 – Create different package name for larch so it can be installed beside Nightly
  • Tablet refresh (Fixing reftest failures)
    • bug 1014987 – Display tabs horizontally
    • bug 1015447 – Add a new tab from horizontal tab strip
    • bug 1017307 – Close a foreground tab on horizontal tab strip
    • bug 1017313 – Close a background tab from horizontal tab strip
    • bug 1018426 – Switch a tab on horizontal tab strip
  • Toolbar refresh
    • bug 1055536 – Too many differing background greys throughout the browser
    • bug 1057438 – Rewrite FadedTextView
    • bug 1060394 – Move FadedTextView to the widget package
    • bug 1061508 – Consider fading edge in toolbar’s title instead of ellipsis
    • bug 1063914 – Restore edit mode’s [x] icon
  • Misc
    • bug 1020505 – Regression: Browser menu has width issues
    • bug 1062231 – Menu share icon is misaligned to the right
    • bug 1065369 – Consolidate ‘add tab’ behaviour in Tabs

Next week

  • Merge larch to m-c
  • More tablet and toolbar stuff

liuche

<Read Only>

  • Follow-ups for Onboarding (bug 1059792, bug 1063748)
  • bug 1062257 – “Remove” behavior in home panels
  • reviews, chatting with UX about future onboarding
  • Next: search activity, Private browsing contextual hints

Margaret

<Read Only>

Highlights:

  • Settings telemetry
  • Search activity
  • Attending JSConf EU this weekend

Past:

Present:

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

Present

  • Browser toolbar refresh
    • bug 1058909 – Implement new tablet toolbar display mode
  • bug 1001655 – Replace applicable Strings in test code with StringHelper references
  • bug 960746 – Back/forward button state can get out of sync on tablets
  • bug 1020534 – Tablet toolbar icons hard to read on dark lightweight themes
  • bug 1062338 – Regression: Back button icon missing in menu on some small screen (?) hardware (?) devices

Future

  • Too busy with other things:
    • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along
    • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
  • bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests

rnewman

<Read Only>

  • Attempting to kick-start a discussion around services to boost usage. Please chime in. https://mobile.etherpad.mozilla.org/service-brainstorming
  • Hacking away at dead code and obsolete libraries.
  • Landing stages of splitapk work.
  • Got frustrated, decided to fix Sync’s scheduling on desktop. We now sync automatically when your machine wakes from sleep.
  • Reviews, advice, perf, etc. etc. — the usual.

Fixed

Working on

Upcoming

  • Accept-Language stuff.
  • More perf/APK work.

nalexander

<Read Only>

  • Code: Remote Tabs home panel has landed (bug 1014994). Many small tickets still open to hammer out issues (bug 1063742, bug 1063765) and re-instate cut features (bug 1064304). Split pane tablet view should hit review this week.
  • Reviews: working with ckitching to make annotation processing a Real Child. ckitching claims significant code size wins (~100s of kb) if we can make Proguard obfuscate our sources safely. Action in bug 1064554.
  • Testing: first meetings (jlund, gbrown) and feedback cycle for running instrumentation tests in automation (meta bug is bug 1064004).
  • Testing: |mach robocop| has landed (bug 874729).

Past

Present

Antlam

  • Past
    • Toronto Work week
    • N2R project moving forward
    • Started co-ordination with Arcadio’s team for Firefox for Android’s own website
    • bug 946471: Firefox channel on Roku
    • Firefox Search UX work
  • Upcoming
    • bug 1065065: Firefox Search visuals for history items
    • bug 1060413: V1 visuals for default state of tablet UI
    • Tablet’s overview presentation with Yuan

Yuan

  • Last week
    • Synced up with Robin on addons and N2R
    • Presented launcher and lock screen study to mobile team
    • Talked to Arcadio about onboarding “Get Started”
    • Worked with Anthony on Tablet Refresh
    • Gave UX feedback to bug 1062257, bug 1061612, bug 1060678
  • This week
    • Continue the work on Tablet Refresh with Anthony
    • Coordinate with mozilla.org and creative team on Android product page and in-product onboarding: bug 1064538
    • Follow up the implementation of Share to Firefox, light-weight onboarding screen
    • Give UX feedback to bug 847435,bug 989094.

Robin

Last week

  • Met with Yuan and Anthony re: (N2R)
  • Add-on research
  • Menu refresh

This week

  • N2R \m/
  • Continue Add-on research
  • Continue Menu refresh
  • Syncing up with Anthony and Yuan
  • Provided feedback on bug 1044401

WebRT

  • bug 960584 – notify user of download progress indication when fetching APK – landed
  • bug 1021395 – Web app machinery dumps lots of semi-sensitive data to logcat – WIP rebased
  • bug 1029691 – Manifest not being checked on APK installation – needs rebasing

QA

Garvan

Feature Focus

Firefox 33 (Beta) – Release: Oct 14, 2014

Firefox 34 (Aurora) – Release: Nov 25, 2014

  • [ON TRACK] Provide a wifi toggle widget on error pages
  • [AT RISK] Tab mirroring (Roku)
  • [ON TRACK] Tab mirroring (Chromecast)
  • [ON TRACK] Toolbar Updates
  • [ON TRACK] Add support for Restricted Profiles (Prefer: safe)
  • [ON TRACK] Share handler overlay (landed but not turned on, nightly & aurora only)
  • [ON TRACK] Form auto-fill improvements, native client-side work
  • [ON TRACK] Kindle-related fixes
  • [ON TRACK] First-run Splash Screen Overlay

Firefox 35 (Nightly) – Release: Jan 6, 2015

  • [PROPOSED] Tablets: tabbed browsing refresh v2
  • [ON TRACK] Sync Tabs panel
  • [PROPOSED] Settings Rewrite (includes:bug 975377
  • [IN PROGRESS] Fatfennec: Minifying JS
  • [ON TRACK] Search activity v1
  • [ON TRACK] Moz Stumbler
  • [PROPOSED] Preferred web content language
  • [PROPOSED] Tablets: tabbed browsing refresh v1
  • [PROPOSED] Change default search engine to Bing
  • [IN PROGRESS] Fatfennec: Splitting the APK – gingerbread phone release
  • [BLOCKED] {{{1}}} Turn on HTTPS for Bing bug 958873
  • [PROPOSED] Privacy: DDG as a built in search engine

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-09-10

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:18 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)

  • Chemspills :(
    • Firefox for Android 32.0.1 built yesterday, may ship as early as today
      • bug 1046017 Taps are offset on some devices
      • Ride along: bug 1063971 setRemoteDescription call without success-callback freezes PeerConnection queue (FF32 regression)
    • Firefox Desktop 32.0.1, candidate bugs
      • bug 1062452 Firefox 32.0 crashes frequently in aticfx32.dll with switchable Intel+ATI graphics
      • bug 1063048 Firefox 32 startup crash in _VEC_memzero | _VEC_memzero
      • bug 1063052 Firefox 32 startup crash in nsFrame::BoxReflow
      • Ride along: bug 1046645 Mixed content favicon is shown when loading a SSL site right after opening a new tab
      • Ride along: bug 1063971 setRemoteDescription call without success-callback freezes PeerConnection queue (FF32 regression)
  • Beta
    • 33.0 beta2 shipped yesterday
      • Enabled second screen sharing (aka chromecast), which was disabled in beta1
    • Desktop beta3 gtb Thursday
    • Desktop and mobile beta4 gtb Monday
      • Last 33 beta release that will have loop enabled

Firefox Desktop & Platform (Javaun/Chad/Martin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can find the most recently completed iteration (34.3) performance report here
  • You can see the status of the current iteration (35.1) in progress here

Uplifts

Beta (33)
  • New error page is poor color contrast. ( Bug 1009812 )
  • Intermittent ERROR: AsyncShutdown timeout in profile-before-change Conditions: [{“name”:”Experiments.jsm shutdown”,”state”:”(none)”,”filename”:”resource://app/modules/experiments/Experiments.jsm”,”lineNumber”:408},… ( Bug 1012924 )
  • about:networking hostname list not clearing after deleting history ( Bug 1020539 )
  • New error pages are unable to be styled by 3rd party complete themes ( Bug 1035536 )
Aurora (34)
  • Implementation: Use something other than a modal dialog to ask for setting the default browser ( Bug 951627 )
  • Support RTL mode in the panel ( Bug 1050309 )
  • Use HiDPI ICO favicons throughout the UI ( Bug 1052174 )
  • Fix typos and improve some of the Loop text ( Bug 1058258 )
  • 5.68% tart windows regression on fx team (v.34) August 15 from bug 862563 ( Bug 1060460 )

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 31 bugs over the last week, for the first half of the 35.1 iteration.
  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)

Work In Progress

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Uplifts from the past week

Release(32)
Beta (33)
  • Add UI telemetry for managing search engines ( Bug 1007523 )
  • Taps are offset on some devices ( Bug 1046017 )
  • Browser menu missing dividers in Android L Preview ( Bug 1050780 )
  • Setting to clear data on quit doesn’t clear tabs from last time panel ( Bug 1052387 )
  • Notify Gecko when browser history is cleared from HistoryPanel ( Bug 1060678 )
  • Casting video is disabled on Beta ( Bug 1063893 )
Aurora (34)
  • Change ‘Cast to’ term to ‘Send to ‘ in-product ( Bug 1054912 )
  • java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: android.net.ConnectivityManager.isActiveNetworkMetered ( Bug 1057626 )
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Already registered Wifi:Enable at org.mozilla.gecko.EventDispatcher.registerListener(EventDispatcher.java) ( Bug 1061030 )

Landings from the past week

Nightly (35)
  • Remove gradients from form elements ( Bug 763671 )
  • Create a synced tabs panel (Bug 1014994)
  • Regression: Browser menu has width issues ( Bug 1020505 )
  • Not obvious that browser menu is scrollable on small screen devices ( Bug 1048300 )
  • Crash on stop attempt after display wake up – java.lang.NullPointerException @ org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast.end(ChromeCast.java:254) ( Bug 1055020 )
  • [Roku] tapping the back button on Android doesn’t dismiss the ‘cast to device’ dialogue ( Bug 1055484 )
  • Too many differing background greys throughout the browser ( Bug 1055536 )
  • crash NPE in: Attempt to invoke interface method void org.mozilla.gecko.util.EventCallback.sendSuccess(java.lang.Object) on a null object reference at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast$VideoPlayCallback.onStatusUpdated(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1055553 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast$VideoPlayCallback.onStatusUpdated(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1055554 )
  • Kindle: No way to remove Firefox account ( Bug 1056707 )
  • WEBGL_draw_buffers extension incorrectly exposed in Firefox on some GLES3 devices ( Bug 1056947 )
  • Telemetry for search widget buttons ( Bug 1057613 )
  • Cut function in a readonly textarea ( Bug 1060423 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.overlays.ui.ShareDialog.slideOut(ShareDialog.java) ( Bug 1061685 )
  • Autophone – webappstartup test does not run ( Bug 1062097 )
  • Menu share icon is misaligned to the right ( Bug 1062231 )
  • Regression: No context menu action is invoked on long-tapping some links ( Bug 1062307 )
  • Use empty string as title if no title provided when adding a bookmark ( 1062552 Bug 1062552 )

Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)

Something to think About

There’s been some talk about how HTTPS by default would help mitigate things like Comcast’s Open Wifi hotspots helpfully performing content injection of ads into people’s browsing session(s) and other deep-packet inspection by various parties. This type of activity has the potential to become another war of attrition between browser orgs and adware/malware providers, and brings the certificate store into the spotlight. The certificate store, and continuing to validate its content, is something we should probably pay more attention to as more and more content is delivered via HTTPS as a default.
Why we should care: Trust is important, and so is encrypting traffic end-to-end. As more of that traffic is encrypted, the cert store can become a target for malware. We need to ensure that as we push HTTPS, we also keep an eye on the pieces that make it work.

Things we’re working on

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus

Pinning on tiles.services.mozilla.com

bug 1030135

Worth a Read

  • In addition to the addition of NFC to the iPhone 6, Apple also introduced its Pay system to make NFC transactions more appealing to retailers and payment providers. Just incorporating NFC hasn’t been enough to get mobile payments off the ground in the US, and Apple’s partnering with banks, credit companies, and payment providers may give it the boost it needs. developer site here.
  • Oracle will only certify Firefox ESR for use with its E-Business Suite, citing Firefox’s 6-week release as a pain point. Chrome is still not officially certified. Good opportunity to make a little noise around ESR in the corporate environment.

Notes

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction (Arcadio)

  • Non-Verbal Update
  • Firefox 32 Press as of Sept 4 (Android and Desktop)
  1. Europe: 90+ stories
  2. LATAM: 14+ Stories
  3. US: 18+ stories including a nice piece on WebRTC (Hello) and Roku/Chromecast support on Android on Techcrunch
  • Accounts snippet support in progress
  1. Numbered list item
  • Sync landing page revision currently on demo server ready for QA
  1. Sync landing page launch pushed to w/o 9/15

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

Mozilla Platform: 2014-09-09

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:18 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lmandel)

Next Merge: October 13, 2014 Next Release: October 14, 2014
Trains
Central: 35 Aurora: 34 Beta: 33 Release: 32
  • Desktop: Remaining throttled until Thu as we investigate candidate 32.0.1 drivers
  • Android: Going to build with 32.0.1 today.
    • Driver
    • Ride along candidates:
      • bug 1063971 setRemoteDescription call without success-callback freezes PeerConnection queue (FF32 regression)
      • bug 1064247 FF32 generates invalid a=fmtp:0 profile-level-id fmtp
  • 33 beta 2 ships today
  • 33 beta 3 desktop – gtb Thu
  • 33 beta 4 desktop/mobile – gtb Mon
  • Firefox 32 post mortem, Tue Sep 16, 2014, 10am PT, ReleaseCoordination Vidyo

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 3.44 (last week: 5.01).
  • The top of the list is mostly dominated by mobile failures, both B2G and Android.
  • Waiting on Aurora approval requests for MediaStreamGraph refactor fixes that were causing frequent oranges.
  • 16 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

MemShrink (njn)

  • Boris Zbarsky fixed a bad memory leak. If you were seeing ghost windows in your Nightly build recently, this is probably the reason. The patch has been backported to Aurora.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Release has about 10% of all crashes in three bugs that are somewhat concerning: bug 1062452 (~5%, GFX), bug 1063048 (~3%, GFX), bug 1063052 (~1%, Layout)
  • Desktop Beta has high crash rates due to multiple GFX crashes in the top ranges, probably OMTC/D3D11 work
  • Mobile Beta has two GFX bugs that cause bad crash rates: bug 1028802 (was supposed to be fixed in 33 but isn’t), bug 1041744

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

A*Team (jgriffin)

<Read Only>

Blog and newsgroup posts:

DOM (jst/overholt)

  • Service Worker hackathon is on (in Arlington)!
  • DOM Window bindings are here to stay (no more pref).

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

  • Please help dogfood e10s in Nightly!
  • This week, more fixes landed for browser usability and add-ons
  • List of tested add-ons (compatible and incompatible): http://arewee10syet.com

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

<Read Only>

Team meetings in Toronto last week

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can find the most recently completed iteration (34.3) performance report here
  • You can see the status of the current iteration (35.1) in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 31 bugs over the last week, for the first half of the 35.1 iteration.
  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Fx 34 Demos:

  • No longer freezing with findbar on huge pages
  • Lightweight theme switching from customize mode
  • Screen/app sharing
  • Loop FxA – login backend and toolbar button states
  • Remoting about: pages
  • parsing search URLs to show search terms in awesomebar results

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

Work In Progress

  • WebRTC OpenGL on Roku – fixing and tweaking
  • Moz Stumbler is almost there. Needs a permission bump to land.
  • Remote Tabs home panelbug 1014994expected to land by EOW
  • Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
    • Stream transfer rate and memory profiling metrics

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings from the past week

Nightly (35)
  • Remove gradients from form elements ( Bug 763671 )
  • Regression: Browser menu has width issues ( Bug 1020505 )
  • Taps are offset on some devices ( Bug 1046017 )
  • Not obvious that browser menu is scrollable on small screen devices ( Bug 1048300 )
  • Browser menu missing dividers in Android L Preview ( Bug 1050780 )
  • Change ‘Cast to’ term to ‘Send to ‘ in-product ( Bug 1054912 )
  • Crash on stop attempt after display wake up – java.lang.NullPointerException @ org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast.end(ChromeCast.java:254) ( Bug 1055020 )
  • [Roku] tapping the back button on Android doesn’t dismiss the ‘cast to device’ dialogue ( Bug 1055484 )
  • Too many differing background greys throughout the browser ( Bug 1055536 )
  • crash NPE in: Attempt to invoke interface method void org.mozilla.gecko.util.EventCallback.sendSuccess(java.lang.Object) on a null object reference at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast$VideoPlayCallback.onStatusUpdated(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1055553 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast$VideoPlayCallback.onStatusUpdated(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1055554 )
  • Kindle: No way to remove Firefox account ( Bug 1056707 )
  • WEBGL_draw_buffers extension incorrectly exposed in Firefox on some GLES3 devices ( Bug 1056947 )
  • Telemetry for search widget buttons ( Bug 1057613 )
  • java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: android.net.ConnectivityManager.isActiveNetworkMetered ( Bug 1057626 )
  • Cut function in a readonly textarea ( Bug 1060423 )
  • Notify Gecko when browser history is cleared from HistoryPanel ( Bug 1060678 )
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Already registered Wifi:Enable at org.mozilla.gecko.EventDispatcher.registerListener(EventDispatcher.java) ( Bug 1061030 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.overlays.ui.ShareDialog.slideOut(ShareDialog.java) ( Bug 1061685 )
  • Autophone – webappstartup test does not run ( Bug 1062097 )
  • Menu share icon is misaligned to the right ( Bug 1062231 )
  • Regression: No context menu action is invoked on long-tapping some links ( Bug 1062307 )
  • Use empty string as title if no title provided when adding a bookmark ( 1062552 Bug 1062552 )
  • Casting video is disabled on Beta ( Bug 1063893 )

Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)

<Read Only>

    1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_CONNECTIVITY_GROUP/2014-09-09

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
    • Woodduck Bluetooth bring-up issues
    • The team has begun BLE API implementation
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
    • bug 1033915 – Integrate MP3FrameParser with MediaCodecReader – landed (2.1 feat+)
      • MediaCodec integration (pref off) has been done after this was landed.
    • MSE for Firefox OS has been removed from v2.1 after discussion with related people.
  • Device Storage (members: Alphan Chen, Eden Chuang)
    • bug 1061117 – Screenshot/take pictures would let device reboot when MTP enabled – r+ (2.1+)

GFX (milan)

  • Direct2D issues in play: some on the release channel (e.g., unrelated to OMTC), may need to play with the blacklist
  • Current work in progress
    • Tiling on desktop
    • WebGL performance
    • B2G 2.0, 2.1
  • Working with PMs on the priorities for 36-39 releases.

Layout (jet/dbaron)

  • CSS Working Group F2F meeting now in progress.
  • Issues from last week’s heavy landings now fixed (bug 967844,bug 1059033)
  • bug 931668 Big perf wins from new style system optimizations
  • bug 997101 App startup perf wins (re-)landed after race condition removal bug 1063073
  • bug 1022825 CSSOM Smooth Scrolling for APZ platforms (like B2G)

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Continuing cleanup from MediaStreamGraph refactor (bug 848954)
  • Windows UI-loop screensharing fixes almost ready
  • Accidental disabling in FF32 of a permissive response to sites that didn’t include success/failure callbacks to setRemoteDescription() (spec violation, but common in examples); fix landed and noiminated for any 32.1.
    • patch to warn people we’re going to deprecate spec-non-compliance ready
  • Dealing with some final B2G 2.0 issues with WebRTC/OMX video codecs/HW AEC at QC’s request to cut CPU use
  • Lots of work on Loop!
    • Loop is slated to be disabled in Beta/33 soon.
    • Planning to ride the train to release in 34

Necko (dougt/jduell)

  • bug 936814: Resource Timing cross-origin requests finally working. A few (easier to fix) bugs and we’ll be able to finally expose Resource Timing to the DOM.
  • Google.com HTTP/2 kerfuffle: they turned on some of their services with a broken HTTP/2 implementation that worked with Chrome (also broken) but not Nightly (spec-compliant). They backed off and reverted to HTTP/1.1 for now

Performance (vladan)

No update

Seceng (ckerschb)

  • New CSP backend (compiled code) is on average 15x faster than old one that we removed in Fx 34.

Shumway (tschneidereit)

  • New version of Shumway merged, still off by default, to Nightly 35. To test, flip “shumway.disabled” pref to false.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting



Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-09-0911:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Mozilla Project: 2014-09-08

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:17 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

A huge “spaceba” to Max Zhilyaev for marketing tag line translations for the Russian activations directory. “Domo Arigato Gozaimasu” to Manabu Ito for marketing tag line translations for the Japanese activations directory. “Děkuji” to Michal Stanke for localization of the Czech activations directory.

Jorge Aparicio (japaric) created the Eulermark benchmark from the Project Euler problems, demonstrating that Rust compares favorably to C++ in many cases.

Thank you to Bob Reyes for wrangling the Mozilla Philippines community work last week!

All hail CodingFree, who worked over the weekend to review several updates to the ConnectA2 app to help fix the connectivity issues in India.

Upcoming Events

Monday, 08 September

Please send your contribution opportunities for the Community Newsletter to jhalperin@mozilla.com

The latest edition of DevPulse is out – take a peek to see all the great stuff happening in the world of developers, the web & Mozilla, and email diane@mozilla to be added to the email dist list.

Tuesday, 09 September

3pm-3.30pm BST: Introduction to Web Audio – live from Mozilla London!

12pm – 1pm PT: reddit AMA on net neutrality with Dave Steer and Chris Riley. Please participate here.

Intern Presentations!

  • 1:00PM 1:00- Filipe Gonçalves, “Coping with memory addiction: tricking Firefox OS for fun and profit” SF
  • 1:30PM 1:30- Bernardo Rittmeyer, “TBD” SF
  • 2:00PM 2:00- John Zeller, “TBD” SF
  • 2:30PM 2:30- Chance Zibolski, “Heka, the “Swiss Army Knife” of Data” SF

Bi-weekly Markeplace Community Meeting: 10am Pacific. It’s getting easier to plug into this project, so come and see how you can make an impact this month.

Mozilla Wiki team meeting (Wiki Working Group): 8:30am PT / 15:30 UTC (in your timezone). Agenda & How-to participate: MozillaWiki:Team#Meetings

Wednesday, 10 September

A Day of Action to protect net neutrality (read about Mozilla’s involvement here)

Homebrew Website Club Meetup

  • Chicago, Minneapolis, Portland (@MozPDX), and San Francisco (@MozSF)!
  • 17:30-18:30 Writing Hour
  • 18:30-19:30 IndieWeb discussions and hack night

Are you creating your own website? Indie reader? Personal publishing web app? Or some other digital magic-cloud proxy?

If so (or you want to!), come on by and join a gathering of people with like-minded interests. Bring your friends that want to start a personal web site. Exchange information, swap ideas, talk shop, help work on a project…

Any questions? See the wiki page for details or join IRC: http://indiewebcamp.com/irc/today

Mozpub

  • Mozfest Volunteer social in the common space at Mozilla LDN from 18:30- 21:00
  • Sign up here to attend

Intern Presentations!

  • 1:00- Sylvain Cleymans, “Better, faster, lighter: improving the mobile web experience with the Janus proxy” MV
  • 1:30- Dean Johnson, “TBD” MV
  • 2:00- Ian Kronquist, “TBD” MV
  • 2:30- Tyler Smith, “TBD” MV

Thursday, 11 September

Reject.JS

  • Berlin, Germany
  • Romain Gauthier presenting “WebRTC – A Tale of Beekeeping”

Intern Presentations

  • 1:00- Robert Bindar, “Hacking through notifications” SF
  • 1:30- Sean Bolton, “Why We Build How We Build” SF
  • 2:00- Roshan Vid, “TBD” SF
  • 2:30- Laleh Aghababaie Beni, “TBD” SF

FOSSETCON

  • Orlando, FL, US Sept 11-13
  • Brandon Johnson: “Databases: from root to riches”

Friday, 12 September

RemoCamp in Berlin, until Sept 14th.
More info on the wiki: https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReMo/Council/ReMo_Camp_2014

CSSconf EU

  • Berlin, Germany
  • Angelina Fabbro and Jeff Griffiths attending

Web Audio Hack Day

  • Berlin, Germany
  • Soledad Penades running workshop

Saturday, 13 September

JSConf EU – third of our “Big 5 Developer Events” for 2014

  • Berlin, Germany Sept 13-14
  • Tim Taubert: “Keeping secrets with JavaScript: An Introduction to the WebCrypto API”
  • Frederick Braun: “We’re struggling to keep up (A brief history of Browser Security Features)”
  • Jan Jongboom: “Abusing phones to make the internet of things”
  • Christian Heilmann, Angelina Fabbro, Jeff Griffiths, Margaret Leibovic, Guillaume Marty, Gregor Wagner, Jordan Santell attending
  • Mozilla sponsoring and running Hacker Lounge

Project Status Updates (voice updates)

Firefox

Speaker Location: Toronto first, then Remote (johnath, then Winston)

  • Growth team update – Winston Bowden (remote)
    • Quick update on the team, our goals, and how to get involved. Want to learn more? Visit our wiki page (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Growth_Team) and if you have questions or feedback, please contact Eric Petitt, Chris More or Winston Bowden or visit us in #growth on IRC.
      • Buttons make a difference
      • Instadownloads
      • Download Rescue

Firefox for Android

Speaker Location: remote (mfinkle)

  • Fx32
    • First release with some feedback-based changes appearing
    • Cleaner startup appearance with suggested site thumbnails
    • Pick your UI language from inside Firefox
  • Fx33
    • Send videos to second screen
    • More feedback-based changes
    • Better tab handling

Firefox OS

Speaker Location: Faramarz Rashed / Chris Lee – Mountain View

  • Already seeing value from our team changes —
    • OS team is focused on delivering the best product to all our users (differentiation)
    • Devices team is focused on working with our partners to deliver the optimal product to their markets
  • We wrapped up our v2.1 FL milestone last week — best development cycle to date, great work by everyone on the team!
  • v2.1 FC is our next milestone on Oct 13 — team is laser focused on quality/stability/perf
  • Release changes coming after 2.1 and we’ll share an update soon once those have been finalized.

Speaker Location: Asa Dotzler in Mountain View

  • Arvin Huang is a grad student at National Cheng Kung University in Taipei, and he fixed his first 2 Firefox OS bugs this week, a pair of [good first bug][mentor-lang=zh] (http://mzl.la/1pIjDG2) Gaia Build jshint error bugs.
  • Last tuesday, Mozilla branched Firefox OS 2.1/Gecko 34 and opened OS 2.2 development. (Also, mozilla-b2g28_v1_3 has been shut down.)
  • Over the last week, ~130 Mozillians contributed code to resolve ~300 Firefox OS issues.
  • The top three contributors by volume were
    • John Lu in Taipei, who worked heavily on Lockscreen and Keyboard
    • Arthur Chen, also in Taipei, brought us some serious new feature work on APN
    • and Keven Grandon, out of San Francisco, landed lots of improvements to Rocketbar/Homescreen, and browsing.
  • Foxtrot program is delayed while we wait on proper nightly builds from our partner. An email to this effect will go out this week. While we don’t yet have a definite date, it’s our hope to get things moving in weeks, not months.
  • Mozilla Flame stock nearly exhausted. We’re ordering more Flames to give away to our community of contributors. If Firefox OS is your job and you don’t have a Flame to work on, please let me know ASAP (asa@mozilla.com)
  • VIA Vixen tablets on the way. We’ll open a second round of tablet applications, similar to first round. Vixen contributors will work within the larger Tablet Contribution Program to further the development of Firefox OS for larger form factors.

      A taste of recent Firefox OS changes:

  • bug 1057578 – New overscroll effect. Scrollable content is stretched uniformly along the overscrolled axis
  • bug 1033549 – Data tracking on a per app basis.
  • bug 903683 – Support for user configurable 24 hour time format
  • bug 1032631 – EU roaming APN support
  • bug 1026685 – CMAS Alert channel support. Location-based messaging for governments
  • bug 1011738 – Theme support for b2g/gaia
  • bug 1060081 – Support for Flame Kitkat (KK) builds
  • bug 1060879 – Fixes first tap on keyboard being inaudible
  • bug 1046336 – New homescreen unlock and keyboard sounds.
  • bug 985334 – Long press on a key, the first choice should be the key that is pressed.
  • bug 1054184 – Keyboard 2.1 often misses first keystroke
  • bug 1061439 – Prevent IMEngine from touching layouts when inputcontext is gone
  • bug 1048792 – Keyboard should not autocorrect words with different char count than input
  • bug 1048869 – Keyboard autosuggest nearby keys algorithm doesn’t value vertical alignment enough
  • bug 1016184 – Enable touch caret on B2G and fix the existing test case failures
  • bug 1029943 – Enable selection carets on B2G and fix the existing test case failures
  • bug 1042713 – Remove notification icons from status bar now that we have ambient notifications
  • bug 1035250 – Show cell and wifi status indicators as users progress through First Time Experience
  • bug 1054352 – New videos in FTE tutorial for Vertical Scroll, Sheets, Universal Search, Notifications
  • bug 1038723 – Visual refresh of the utility tray and ambient notifications.
  • bug 1056969 – Prettifies the data connection indicators in the statusbar
  • bug 1030925 – Visual Refresh in Messaging
  • bug 1041765 – Messaging thread view redesign
  • bug 1048845 – Messaging Compose Panel refresh (subject behavior change)
  • bug 1048362 – Messaging Compose Panel refresh (highlight actionable part)
  • bug 1043177 – Contacts App: The current Contact edit page is quite messy
  • bug 885110 – Email App: Switch to whiteout-io email.js libraries
  • bug 1019816 – Developer option to store logcat to sdcard by shaking the phone

Content Services

Webmaker

Brett Gaylor, remote from Victoria BC

  • A few images from the Maker Party to whet your appetite for our final retrospective

Mozilla Communities

Speaker Location: non-verbal / Surman

  • As noted last meeting, we’re actively looking for new ways community can have impact on topline goals in Q3/Q4.
  • We’ve developed a tentative set of goals for this time frame, which are:
    • Maintain momentum on our community goal (Q3/4)
    • Start new community initiatives / challenges that interest volunteers and have positive impact on our product goals (Q3/4)
    • Involve leadership from across the project and within regional communities (Q3/4)
    • Design an even more ambitious plan for 2015+ (Q4)
  • We’ll be discussing these goals and short term community ‘challenges’ tied to products at ReMo camp in Berlin next weekend.
  • Full update from Mitchell / Surman coming on this topic next week. Non-verbal for today.

Web Compat

Speaker Location: Vidyo (miketaylr)

FYI: Our team is doing some work to clean up the Tech Evangelism product, moving valid issues to the Desktop component. Going forward, please use that rather than language specific products.

Recent bug fixes:

Bugs wanted: http://webcompat.com/

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information
Dave Steer Director of Advocacy Net neutrality Day of Action + reddit AMA SF no https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2014/09/04/a-day-of-action-to-protect-net-neutrality/, https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/, http://mzl.la/nnpetition
Anthony Duignan-Cabrera Editor in Chief of the Site-Formerly-Called-Mozilla-Voices The NEW name for Mozilla Voices is… NYC no https://blog.mozilla.org/community/2014/09/04/mozilla-voices-has-a-new-name/
Lukas Blakk, Kronda Adair, Debbie Cohen, Dino Anderson, and the awesome, trailblazing cohort ASCEND Project The Ascend Project is a 6 week, full time training program that provides financial support, equipment, meals, transit, and childcare reimbursement in order to remove many of the barriers to immersive learning in Open Source technology. Portland in da haus No No ASCEND Project
Josh Carpenter Virtual Reality Research Call for generative artists & creative coders SF No Yes

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Tom Tromey Jordan Santell SF Office US Remote Firefox Content Tools
Matt Rosenberg ADC Duignan-Cabrera New York Office US Remote Marketing Communications
Brittany Storoz Fred Wenzel Portland Office NYC Apps Engineering
Alberto Pastor Michael Henretty San Francisco Office Barcelona Firefox OS

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Automation & Tools

bugzilla.mozilla.org

Notable changes to bugzilla.mozilla.org during the last week:

  • bug 1056162 Bugzilla can now create short URLs for bug searches (using bit.ly)

All changes.

Engagement


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

Mobile: 2014-09-03

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:17 pm

Schedule

  • Next merge: 2014-10-13

Topics for This Week

SharedPreferences.Editor
MFinkle talks about the pro’s and con’s of using commit() vs apply() for saving changes, along with patches to makes some changes.
Messaging.jsm API Changes
BNicholson talks about the recent changes to the Messaging API (JavaScript to Java and back again). Some code has landed, more to come. You’ll see sendMessageToJava deprecation warnings in logcat now.

Friends of the Mobile Team

Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.

  • Jeffrey Godwyll fixed bug 1060354 – Removing event listeners in LightWeightThemeWebInstaller
  • vivek fixed bug 984503 – Add “Remove Firefox Account” menu option to FxAccount status activity
  • capella fixed bug 1057685 – Tweak Browser:Quit to maintain existing support for add-ons and bug 1021804 – Long press on news story links invoke context menu
  • eedens fixed bug 1057390 – Clear focus when keyboard is dismissed and bug 1046972 – Hide settings button when keyboard is active
  • amoghbl1 is working on bug 1019045 – Unify magnifying glass/search icon

Stand ups

Suggested format:

  • What did you do last week?
  • What are working on this week?
  • Anything blocking you?

Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!

James W. (snorp)

  • bug 1056947 – WEBGL_draw_buffers extension incorrectly exposed in Firefox on some GLES3 devices
  • Investigate reftest hangs (bug 1059797)
  • Investigate libmozalloc.so crashes on Google Play
  • Fix up node-http2 some more
  • Work on per-connection metadata and statistics in Janus
  • Read up on <picture>, now supported in 34+ behind a pref
  • Look at implementing <img src=”foo.mp4″> for gif -> video conversions
  • Reviews
  • Stuff

<Read Only>

Alan K. (ack)

Last week:

  • ad-hoc mode for FxOS is working
  • X-compiled OLSR for FxOS

This week:

  • CloudSync bounced this morning, investigating

(mesh)

  • Fix up static address assignment for IBSS
  • UI fixes for Mesh
  • Re-enable Wifi

JChen

Fixed

Working on

GCP

Last week:

  • bug 1053264 Mouse cursor flickers after activating screensharing on Windows
  • bug 1060796 Limit screen capture FPS
  • bug 1057626 java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: android.net.ConnectivityManager.isActiveNetworkMetered
  • bug 1060249 Disable WebRTC content analysis of video frames for motion/complexity on Gonk
  • bug 972639 Investigate CPU impact of WebRTC content analysis code
  • bug 1060708 Front and back cameras on Android not recognized by facingMode gUM constraint
  • bug 525284 Permanent “browser_bug400731.js | leaked 1 docShell(s) until shutdown” when running tests only in browser/components/safebrowsing/content/test/

Next week:

  • bug 1061704 Expose facingMode properly in camera stack instead of doing camera device name string compare
  • bug 1059393 Investigate reducing the power consumption due to SafeBrowsing
  • Sandboxing
  • Standalone WebRTC

Randall Barker

Last week:

  • OpengGL WebRTC Player now works on the Roku.
  • Updated bug 1048425(Enable support for tab sharing with Roku device) so that it would launch the player channel automatically.

Next week:

  • Minor fixes to WebRTC Player on Roku (correct aspect ratio, detect dropped connection, etc.)
  • Set up private channel with Roku WebRTC Player to enable testing.
  • Investigate bug 1053426 Fennec crashes when tab sharing is active (Looks to be memory leak)
  • Continue to try and land standalone code.
  • Investigate sending H.264 instead of VP8 video to standalone WebRTC. (Not certain how critical this is as performance of VP8/OpenGL appears adequate)
  • Land bug 1048425 Enable support for tab sharing with Roku device. Possible now that there is something to test against.

Eugen Sawin

Past

Present & Future

  • Janus Proxy
    • Review/testing of performance test suite and HTTP/2 support
  • Investigating bug 1034114, bug 1051637 and some others

Sylvain Cleymans

Last week:

  • Continued working on image compression
  • Fixed marionette tests and network simulation

Next week:

  • Finish image compression

Brian Nicholson

<Read Only>

WesJ

  • bug 1056054 – crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast$VideoPlayCallback.onMetadataUpdated(ChromeCast.java)
  • bug 1059096 – network error pages (about:neterror) have “XML Parsing Error: undefined entity” – due to Bug 1042196
  • bug 1055012 – crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Not connected. Call connect() and wait for onConnected() to be called. at com.google.android.gms.internal.hc.ci(Unknown Source)
  • bug 763671 – New designs for fennec form elements – Landing in 35 (today)
  • bug 1058150 – Use a restricted profile for guest mode. Landing in 35 (today)
  • bug 1048300 – Not obvious that browser menu is scrollable on small screen devices.
  • bug 1061936 – Excess logging in BrowserApp/GeckoAppBug 1061936 – Excess logging in BrowserApp/GeckoApp.
  • bug 1042199 – Widget for searching from error pages. Back in forth in reviews here.
  • bug 989094 – Webrtc permissions prompt should remember your last choice. Waiting for UX input.
  • bug 897711 – [guest] Provide an indicator for guest mode in the UI
  • bug 1061030 – crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Already registered Wifi:Enable at EventDispatcher.registerListener(EventDispatcher.java)
  • bug 1042205 – Provide search suggestions from our history db on error pages. Need some UX input
  • bug 815682 – Lock screen widget/shortcut for Guest Sessions on Android 4.2 and above. Landing (nervously) in 35.
  • bug 901360 – Convert to Downloads.jsm in Firefox for Android

LucasR

<Read Only>

Last week

Next week

  • Wrap-up tab strip v0
  • Wrap-up toolbar v1

liuche

<Read Only>

Margaret

Highlights:

Past:

Present:

mcomella

<Read Only>

Past

  • bug 1046203 – Change BrowserToolbar to use alternative layout when isNewTablet()

Present

  • Browser toolbar refresh
    • bug 1058909 – Implement new tablet toolbar display mode
  • bug 1001655 – Replace applicable Strings in test code with StringHelper references
  • bug 960746 – Back/forward button state can get out of sync on tablets

Future

  • Too busy with other things:
    • Herding bug 941155 (fix talos on mobile to have pageloader tests working in regular mode and nochrome mode) along
    • bug 939350 – Create Python linter wrapper
  • bug 983437 – Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
  • bug 989441 – Centralized documentation for writing tests

rnewman

<Read Only>

  • Chatting with Georg re telemetry/FHR unification.
  • Discussion with nalexander about Sync push and task continuity.
  • RTL kickoff.
  • Landed ckitching’s share work with some fixes.
  • Landed locale-aware search activity change.
  • Reviews and fixes.

Next: web content language picker, fixing resource dependencies to work on split APKs.

Fixed

Working on

nalexander

<Read Only>

  • Stumbler landed, still build time off.
  • Mentoring new ticket with super-contributor (!) vivek: bug 966103.
  • Code: second review cycle for Remote Tabs home panel (action in bug 1014994), expected to land EOW.
  • Testing: first review cycle for |mach robocop| (action in bug 929654 and bug 874729).

Past

Present

Martyn Haigh

Last week

  • Learning HG
  • Tabs Adapter refactoring
  • Work on List / Tray view stub
  • Work on gridview

Next week

  • Learning HG queues
  • not killing gecko-dev
  • implementing gridview proper
  • Flying out to SF on Wednesday

MFinkle

  • Filing some bugs on SharedPreferences and StrictMode
  • Unbitrotting some second screen patches

Antlam

  • Past
  • Upcoming
    • In Toronto!
    • Tablet UX exploration with Yuan
    • Search Activity P1 bugs
    • bug 1052933: Padding clean up for ‘Top Sites’ panel
    • bug 1058674: Explore UX options for alternatives when tapping the URL bar
    • Continue Panels visual clean up work
    • Screens for Arcadio

Yuan

  • Last week
    • Program review
    • Followed up upon landing mini-onboarding and Share overlay.
  • This week
    • Presented launcher and lock screen study
    • Work on tablet design and onboarding with Anthony in Toronto
    • UX feedback for share overlay and other stuff

Robin

  • Past
    • Program review
  • This week
    • Continuing Add-on discovery work
    • Settings hierarchy, Site Settings
    • Looking at doorhangers with Anthony
    • NOT in TOR :-(

WebRT

<Read Only>

Myk is away this week as well but will be back the next!

QA

Garvan

  • stumbler is in, but compile time off.
  • Blockers to landing for 34: opt-in message is wrong, need a permissions bump

Details

  • Wednesdays – 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
  • Dial-in: conference# 99998
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 99998
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 99998
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 99998
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 99998
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 99998
  • irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
  • Mobile Vidyo Room

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Planning: 2014-09-03

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:17 pm

Schedule & Progress onUpcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)

  • Firefox 32 desktop and mobile shipped yesterday
  • Updates have now been disabled while we review feedback. Assuming no critical issues are found, target is to reenable updates on Tue, Sep 9.
  • Current branches
    • Beta: Firefox 33
    • Aurora: Firefox 34
    • Nightly: Firefox 35

Firefox Desktop & Platform (Javaun/Chad/Martin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can find the most recently completed iteration (34.3) performance report here
  • You can see the status of the current iteration (35.1) in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 50 bugs over the last week, to close out the 34.3 iteration.
  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)

Work In Progress

  • Chromecast – continuing to bug fix based on nightly feedback
  • WebRTC OpenGL on Roku, tab sharing support bug 1048425
  • Experimenting with Bing as the default search engine – bug 1049108
  • Remote Tabs home panel bug 1014994,first patches have landed
  • Moz Stumbler should be landing in nightly this week.
  • Tablet refresh: Continuing to progress
    • bug 1046200 – Create BrowserApp.isNewTablet()
    • bug 1047561 – Create settings UI for enabling the new tablet UI
    • bug 1048575 – Disable dynamic toolbar when in new tablet UI
  • Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
    • Client connection speed assessment

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Uplifts from the past week

Beta (33)
  • Regression: Menu breaks on Firefox 29+ on tablets with hardware menu ( Bug 1030113 )
  • TwoWayView crashes in Android L ( Bug 1034167 )
  • Regression: On screen options button appears after exiting edit mode on devices with hardware options button ( Bug 1047264 )
Aurora (34)
  • testVideoDiscovery.js is going to start perma-failing when Aurora 33 is merged to Beta ( Bug 1046493 )
  • Zoom level changes on some mobile sites on pressing the back button ( Bug 1046631 )
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Not connected. Call connect() and wait for onConnected() to be called. at com.google.android.gms.internal.hc.ci(Unknown Source) ( Bug 1055012 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast.verifySession(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1057866 )
  • Default search engine probe recording null instead of “other” ( Bug 1058352 )

Landings from the past week

Nightly (35)
  • Add telemetry for Settings usage ( Bug 996753 )
  • “Clear Private Data” does not clear “Recently closed tabs” from Recent Tabs ( Bug 1031273 )
  • Auto complete pop up doesn’t go away ( Bug 1037353 )
  • Share overlay request backend: stage 1 ( Bug 1044794 )
  • Tapping the branding logo in the browser widget opens a new tab ( Bug 1048545 )
  • Crash in gfxContext::PushNewDT (OOM) with reproducible test-case (reddit.com) ( Bug 1053934 )
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Not connected. Call connect() and wait for onConnected() to be called. at com.google.android.gms.internal.hc.ci(Unknown Source) ( Bug 1055012 )
  • Flash doesn’t work on Android L ( Bug 1055166 )
  • JavaScript Error: “this._items[aData] is undefined” {file: “resource://gre/modules/PageActions.jsm” line: 57}] ( Bug 1055212 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast.verifySession(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1057866 )
  • Specify main activity org.mozilla.fennec.App with a default intent over org.mozilla.search.MainActivity ( Bug 1058160 )
  • Default search engine probe recording null instead of “other” ( Bug 1058352 )
  • network error pages (about:neterror) have “XML Parsing Error: undefined entity” – due to Bug 1042196 ( Bug 1059096 )
  • Don’t set noHistory for onboarding activity ( Bug 1059440 )
  • Regression: Thin pixel bar present next to the back button on tablets in the new toolbar ( Bug 1059450 )

Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)

  • Outbound
    • gearing up for CC/JSConf EU Sept 12 -> 14 and various other JSFest Berlin

Insights

Read-only update this week, as Kev is at a work week. Not a lot beyond announcements to kick off the fall holiday buying season, with all kinds of new gear coming. Still some interesting bits in the Notes section, though. I’ll have better stuff next week given all the press events in the next few days.

Worth a Read

  • A piece on how LG bungled their WebOS acquisition. It’s an opinion piece, but it highlights culture clash from a corporate and regional perspective, and how (unresolved) conflicting viewpoints can damage people and product.

Notes


Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays – 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details – NEW

SeaMonkey: 2014-09-02

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:16 pm

Agenda

  • Who’s taking minutes? -> mcsmurf
  • Nominees for Friends of the Fish Tank:
    • -

Action Items

(who needs to do what that hasn’t been recorded in a bug)
We should assign people to the open items.

NEW

OPEN

  • http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/seamonkey/ has not been updated since November 2012, the last version listed is 2.14 (bug 956561); move blog to blog.mozilla.org if possible Assigned: mcsmurf.
    • blog account has been created in bug 973886
    • Callek has imported old blogs from mozillazine
    • some sprucing / branding needs to happen next
  • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager
    • mcsmurf will look into this

CLOSED

Status of the SeaMonkey Buildbot Master and Tree

  • Buildmaster is up and running.
    • Due to the master having some mysql issues, Callek has put a halt on the mysql updates, which affects the tbpl. So nothing is showing in tbpl atm.
  • comm-* will be building out of mozilla-* (bug 648979 etc.). Jcrammer has completed the coding. The decision to merge c-c into m-c has been kicked down the road into the next quarter or two.
    • Recent work on this:
    • bug 1040009 .mozconfig configure options are ignored if objdir path is absolute
    • bug 1035599 Pseudo-merge m-c and c-c’s objdir
  • [1st September 2014]
    • All Linux64 machines(except the buildbot master) have decided to go on strike/AWOL/whatever. (Not good, obviously, but not something Callek or ewong can do until DCOps kickstart them, and since Monday is a holiday, it’ll be after Tuesday before anything’s done.) bug 1058385 Ergo, All trees are closed.
      • w0ts0n from #it took a look at sea-hp-linux64-9 and said it had a ‘Disk error’. (Again, not good. In fact, exactly the same situation as sea-hp-linux64-2.)
    • Thankfully, the last slave (-13) went AWOL *after* the 2.29b2 release. (If it was going to go AWOL, after release would be the best time; of course, *not going AWOL* would’ve been preferential.)
    • Buildbotcustom/config release code is still being tweaked to get release done.
  • [19th August 2014 update]
    • All available linux64 machines are up and running buildbot (CentOS 6.5)
    • Current round of changes have been reviewed and landed.
    • One final round about to be reviewed.
      • The following are ‘old’ info being kept as a reference:[these entries will be removed with the next Status Meeting]
        • Migrating our Linux builders to CentOS 6 bug 795354. Puppetmaster has been updated. Ewong is able to login to these hosts and buildbot is installed. We still need to get everything setup for parity and do some slight tweaks to the puppet config, but we’re pretty close to useable.
        • In Progress: 2.28 beta and final will depend on build system working again for Gecko 31.0
        • bug 983536 libpango version >= 1.22.0 required on Linux.(should be fixed when bug 795354 is fixed).
        • bug 977676 SeaMonkey’s puppet broken due to requirement of ffxbld ldap password.
        • bug 943740 is tracking the progress (or lack of one) in building trunk and aurora on Linux & Mac from the downloading user’s POV.
        • bug 840426 tracks the buildbot-config and buildbotcustom code changes to support Mock on our linux* slaves.
        • bug 853720 tracks the builders not recognizing mozcrash. (Not exactly sure if it’s relevant still, since our builders have been so perma-red for some time; but putting this here just in case.)
    • We are perma-orange on comm-central, comm-aurora and comm-beta due to problems with tests
      • Windows en-US builds are being successfully compiled but tests are not working due to a dependency on python 2.7.3.
  • pymake has been discontinued. We need to install the latest Mozilla-build and tooltool on our windows builders (tracked by bug 1023644 )
  • No langpacks since 29th August 2013 on trunk. Needs investigating.
    • Windows and Mac trunk langpacks directories have been removed on the FTP server, maybe for lack of recent XPIs (later than 2.20a1). Latest Linux langpacks are dated 29 August. Callek told Tonymec on IRC he has a hunch about why but more pressing things to do first.
    • In Bug 902876 Comment 12 Mcsmurf is waiting for feedback from the build team on how to proceed.

Release Train

  • SeaMonkey 2.29b1 was released on 27th August 2014.
  • SeaMonkey 2.29b2 was released on 2nd September 2014.
  • The final release will be about a week after the Firefox one, to ensure any major issues have been shaken out.
    • Callek / ewong will post / blog about it soon.
  • Useful Firefox Release Schedule link: Releases Scheduling

Extensions and Plugins Compatibility Tracking

  • Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey
  • This tool goes a little further beyond simply modifying install.rdf – it also identifies a few more other things in the code that are Firefox or Thunderbird specific and attempts to change them. Of course, not all extensions can be ported so easily to SeaMonkey since there’s only so much an automated tool like that can do.

    Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey: http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/

    • There is a long list of Firefox and Thunderbird extensions that have been successfully converted in the Mozillazine thread[1]. Can someone go through the thread and add the list of successful conversions to SeaMonkey/AddonCompat.
  • InvisibleSmiley has been working with the author of Nostalgy to make it work with recent TB/SM versions. The latest, fully compatible version is only available from his homepage though.
  • See Basics page. Please only list current changes here.
  • Addon Compatibility Listings
  • Ratty filed bug 957149 to push an updated version of DOMi to addons.mozilla.org to pick up the latest fixes. Depends on:
  • Our build team needs to automate DOMI branch selection rather than having to tweak the client.py every 6 weeks. bug 763506

2.x (Last, Current, Next)

  • [From a previous meeting:] There is a problem with the metrics server, so no current data is available
  • See Basics page for the usual reminders.

2.26

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (30)

2.29

open tracking (0)
tracking requests (1)
targeted (0)
fixed (16)

2.Next

  • Stalled. Needs a kick.
    • bug 937809 Add DuckDuckGo to the default search engines list.
    • bug 815954 Click-to-Play: Port bug 812562 (click-to-play blocklisted plugins: reshow urlbar notification as with normal click-to-play).
    • bug 476108 GetShortPathNameW fails under some NTFS junctions [patchlove].
  • Current breakages:
    • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager needs an owner
    • bug 995737 adapt seamonkey for the ab remote content policy change; use permission manager instead of address book property.
  • Mozilla-central bugs that affect us:
    • Our front end Sync UI needs to be updated as the old backend is going away in Gecko/Firefox 31. See: New Firefox Sync has landed in Firefox Nightly. Tracked in:
      • bug 998807 Sync account creation or device pairing fails with exception in BrowserIDManager.
      • bug 1003434 Add support for about:sync-progress.
    • A lot of these bugs are due to mozilla-central switching from synchronous APIs to Asynchronous APIs.
    • bug 566746 (asyncFormHistory) Form history should use asynchronous storage API. Tracked in:
      • bug 912031 Use Asynchronous FormHistory.jsm in place of nsIFormHistory2 in Suite.
    • bug 769764 move proxy resolution to separate thread and remove sync api. Tracked in:
      • MailNews bug 791645 Rewrite calls to synchronous nsIProtocolProxyService::DeprecatedBlockingResolve with Async code before DeprecatedBlockingResolve disappears as well.
    • bug 793634 Force builds to be compatible with gtk 2.18/glib 2.22. Tracked in:
      • bug 795354 Migrate SeaMonkey Linux builders to CentOS 6.
    • bug 846635 Use asynchronous getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI. bug 834543 Add asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI. Tracked in:
      • bug 896947 Use asynchronous version of setCharsetForURI and getCharsetForURI in getShortcutOrURI and other places.
    • bug 825588 Asynchronous JavaScript API for downloads and bug 851471 Decommission nsIDownloadManager. Tracked in:
      • bug 888915 Move SeaMonkey to the new JavaScript API for downloads when nsIDownloadManager is decommissioned.

Feature List, Planning

Bug statistics for the last two (full) weeks: 27 new, 14 fixed, 5 triaged.

  • Low triaging effort.

Open reviews/flags:
30 review
6 super-review
1 ui-review
5 feedback

  • See Feature List page for major wanted/needed features.
  • TODO: We will need to update our Sync UI code due to the new Sync API. Also we need to check if we are allowed to create FX accounts from our UI Since the new Sync accounts are FX accounts.[IanN] I’m sure I saw a question about FX accounts and branding.

Roundtable – Personal Status Updates

Status Updates from developers – what are you working on, what’s the progress, any other comments? (feel free to add yourself to the list if your name is missing and you have interesting status).

ewong

  • Mainly concentrated on getting the buildbotcustom/config stuff done to get the releases out.
  • Ergo, I might have fixed some bugs; but I’m completely lost as to what I’ve done and haven’t done.
  • so for the very first time, I don’t have an update but this entry isn’t empty; whereas the last time, it was empty.

IanN

  • Usual testing, reviewing and commenting.
  • Fixed
  • Fixed for c-c:
    • bug 1047981 Port |bug 1047924 – When building with ac_add_options –enable-extensions extensions are put expanded into the wrong location in dist/bin| to comm-central
    • bug 1049800 Package extensions into xpis
    • bug 1052943 Move additions to C*FLAGS into moz.build and do not link against the static RTL
    • bug 1052948 Port |bug 968642 Port RCFILE and RESFILE to moz.build| to im
    • bug 1053444 Remove MOZ_APP_COMPONENT_MODULES from comm-central
    • bug 1054526 Move LDFLAGS / WIN32_EXE_LDFLAGS out of Makefiles for c-c
    • bug 1054536 Port *FLAG and related changes to config.mk
    • bug 1054727 TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | check-sync-dirs.py | build file copies are not in sync, port mozconfig.cache and client.mk changes from m-c to c-c
    • bug 1057478 Port bug 899585 modifying nsIAlertsService to mailnews
  • Fixed for m-c:
  • Fixed for m-i:
  • Pending check in:
    • bug 1039003 Port |bug 633773 Use Google’s HTTPS search by default|, |bug 958883 Use HTTPS for Yahoo searches| and search plugin parts of |bug 959576 Create a component to get the list of priority domains| to Thunderbird
    • bug 1055867 Move RCFLAGS and RCINCLUDE to moz.build and hardcode manifest name
  • Checked in pending review:
  • Waiting for feedback/review:
    • bug 882968 Clean up and move DEFINES and friends to moz.build in comm-central
    • bug 1060848 Static-link the CRT into SeaMonkey executable (/suite/app/moz.build). Port bug 1023941 Part 1
    • bug 1060959 comm-central/configure: line 544: test: : integer expression expected
    • bug 1061011 Do not package .mkdir.done in XPIs
    • bug 1061029 Port |bug 815219 – Default to building with all available cores| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 1061336 Do not source mozconfig.common multiple times in linux in-tree mozconfigs
    • bug 1061341 Port |bug 895248 – Move –enable-stdcxx-compat in build/unix/mozconfig.linux| to SeaMonkey
    • bug 1061348 Port |bug 575283 – Cleanup mozconfig files on all platforms| to SeaMonkey
  • Fixing review comments before checkin:
    • bug 757230 When using add button for permissions in Data Manager set a displayHost
    • bug 798147 Switch to correct pref pane if pref window already open
  • Working on:
    • bug 1060897 Static-link the CRT into Instantbird executable (/im/app/moz.build). Port bug 1023941 Part 1
    • bug 1051642 Allow for flat chrome format when packaging extensions
    • bug 943335 [TB] Update icons used in searchplugins (Yahoo, eBay, Wikipedia, Amazon, Bing, Twitter)
    • Various SM Council documents.
    • bug 606683 Allow customization of toolbar in Composer and MailNews Composition
    • bug 639690 [META] Re-arrange code between editor and editorOverlay
    • bug 773979 [META] Switch to new drag and drop api in SeaMonkey
    • bug 657234 Move pasteQuote and pasteNoFormatting into contentAreaContextOverlay
    • File/Folder selection in windows.
  • To Do:
    • bug 639395 Get cmd_fontSize to reflect current state of selected content / content at caret.
    • Prefs-in-a-tab.
    • Create FAQ for Friends of the Fish Tank.
    • Help get composer standalone builds working with –enable-tests.

mcsmurf

  • nothing this time

Neil

Checked in to comm-central:

Checked in to comm-central and comm-aurora:

Checked in to comm-beta:

  • bug 934492 Adjust the preference panes for the removal of the charset data source.

Backed out from comm-beta:

Checked in to mozilla-central:

  • bug 1053420 Improve new nsTArray rvalue reference methods.
  • bug 1054289 Scroll to new anchor if changed during document load.
  • bug 1059707 Don’t print a deprecation warning for theme XBL documents.
  • bug 1058436 Don’t use new xulstore in safe mode.

Still waiting for review:

Ratty

Just back from a holiday. Currently recovering from jet-lag.

Any other business?

Discuss:

  • [Ratty] KaiRo reminded us that we need to grow our contributor community. Perhaps we can get some Engagement experts from Mozilla to give us some suggestions?
    • [IanN] might have a chat with some people and see if they can point me in the right direction.
    • Should take this one to the mailing lists

SeaMonkey Meeting Details

Mozilla Platform: 2014-09-02

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:16 pm

Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (lmandel)

Next Merge: TODAY Next Release: October 14, 2014
Trains
Central: 35 Aurora: 34 Beta: 33 Release: 32
  • It’s release day! Firefox 32 is live.
    • Tracking for Fennec 32: bug 1060009 – Investigate native crash at /dev/ashmem/libmozalloc.so reported on Google Play
  • Firefox ESR 24.8.0 and 31.1.0 are also live.
    • This is the last release for ESR24. This means we’re back to a single ESR31 train.
  • Next up
    • 33 beta1 is scheduled to ship on Thursday
    • 34 aurora updates are scheduled to be re-enabled on Friday
  • Reminder that the merge is happening today

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

RelEng (catlee)

(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

<Read Only>

  • Past week’s OrangeFactor: 5.01 (last week: 3.67).
  • Lots of fallout from pre-uplift landings (B2G feature landings, MediaStreamGraph refactor, etc) along with more infra issues.
  • Widespread Android 4.0 failures continue to be a problem – now being tracked in bug 1059797.
  • 23 intermittent failures fixed in the last week – List – Thanks!.

CritSmash (dbolter)

  • another week in the right direction :)

MemShrink (njn)

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

<Read Only>

  • [Overall numbers] look OK for 32 beta and 31 release.
    • 33 still has high numbers of Graphics crashes, probably mostly due to OMTC. Also, bug 1061693 tracking D3D11 crashes might be relevant.
    • 34 had a spike of OOM|small crashes, but hopefully bug 1053934 fixed that before moving to Aurora.

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

B2G Services (dougt)

This has been merged into Cloud Services.

Electrolysis (e10s) (blassey)

Firefox Desktop (gavin)

Summary of Work In Progress

  • You can see the status of the current iteration (35.1) in progress here

Summary of Recent Landings

  • Team landed 50 bugs over the last week, to close out the 34.3 iteration.
  • Details of landings from the past week can be seen here

Firefox Mobile (snorp/blassey/mfinkle)

Work In Progress

  • Chromecast – continuing to bug fix based on nightly feedback
  • WebRTC OpenGL on Roku, tab sharing support bug 1048425
  • Experimenting with Bing as the default search engine – bug 1049108
  • Remote Tabs home panel bug 1014994,first patches have landed
  • Moz Stumbler should be landing in nightly this week.
  • Tablet refresh: Continuing to progress
    • bug 1046200 – Create BrowserApp.isNewTablet()
    • bug 1047561 – Create settings UI for enabling the new tablet UI
    • bug 1048575 – Disable dynamic toolbar when in new tablet UI
  • Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
    • Client connection speed assessment

You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]

Landings from the past week

Nightly (35)
  • Add telemetry for Settings usage ( Bug 996753 )
  • “Clear Private Data” does not clear “Recently closed tabs” from Recent Tabs ( Bug 1031273 )
  • Auto complete pop up doesn’t go away ( Bug 1037353 )
  • Share overlay request backend: stage 1 ( Bug 1044794 )
  • Tapping the branding logo in the browser widget opens a new tab ( Bug 1048545 )
  • Crash in gfxContext::PushNewDT (OOM) with reproducible test-case (reddit.com) ( Bug 1053934 )
  • crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Not connected. Call connect() and wait for onConnected() to be called. at com.google.android.gms.internal.hc.ci(Unknown Source) ( Bug 1055012 )
  • Flash doesn’t work on Android L ( Bug 1055166 )
  • JavaScript Error: “this._items[aData] is undefined” {file: “resource://gre/modules/PageActions.jsm” line: 57}] ( Bug 1055212 )
  • crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.ChromeCast.verifySession(ChromeCast.java) ( Bug 1057866 )
  • Specify main activity org.mozilla.fennec.App with a default intent over org.mozilla.search.MainActivity ( Bug 1058160 )
  • Default search engine probe recording null instead of “other” ( Bug 1058352 )
  • network error pages (about:neterror) have “XML Parsing Error: undefined entity” – due to Bug 1042196 ( Bug 1059096 )
  • Don’t set noHistory for onboarding activity ( Bug 1059440 )
  • Regression: Thin pixel bar present next to the back button on tablets in the new toolbar ( Bug 1059450 )

Firefox OS Connectivity (vchang)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_CONNECTIVITY_GROUP/2014-09-02

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (ericchou)

<Read Only>

  • Gonk team (led by Thomas Tsai)
    • Team Summary
      • TBD
  • Bluetooth (members: Shawn Huang, Ben Tian, Jamin Liu, Jocelyn Liu)
    • We have received many inputs about “Entering Bluetooth page then Settings app crashes”, after investigation we found it’s a regression of a Gaia change bug 1032071.
    • bug 1060216 – BluetoothAdapter.discovering wouldn’t be updated after calling startDisocovery or stopDisocovery – landed (1.4+)
    • bug 1059136 – Expose Adapter Bluetooth Uuids field – landed (1.4+)
    • bug 1060229 – Get/SetProperty DiscoveryTimeout failed due to missing property length – landed (1.4+)
    • bug 1056413 – Pairing devices after cancelling results in unresponsive page – landed (2.0+)
    • bug 929376 – Content process should be able to use API: BluetoothManager.IsConnected() – landed (2.1+)
  • Media Playback (members: Bruce Sun, Blake Wu, Star Cheng)
    • bug 1033915 – Integrate MP3FrameParser with MediaCodecReader – r+ (2.1 feat+)
    • bug 1046578 – [Loop] In a call the audio is very low – WIP (2.0+)
    • Blake is co-working with Anthony Jones to make MSE work on Flame. There are still 4 issues need to be resolved.
  • Device Storage (members: Alphan Chen, Eden Chuang)
    • Eden Chuang, SW engineer onboard on 9/1, will join this group.
    • The user story of MTP has been verified and closed. Thanks to Alphan and Dave Hylands.
    • TPE QA Alison has started testing MTP on Flame and has filed several issues.

Firefox OS RIL (htsai)

<Read Only>

  1. https://wiki.mozilla.org/TPE_RIL_team/2014-09-02

GFX (milan)

  • Summary of 34 goals called out on 7/22, with status:
    • Desktop plans for 34:
      • bug 1036457 tracks having OMTC on Windows ride the 34 train – still looking good, and actually riding 33 train.
      • bug 993639 towards full E10S support – a number of the blockers for this meta have been fixed, all by non-Graphics team engineers.
      • bug 1015218 Linux move to GTK3 – done
    • Firefox OS plans for 34:
      • bug 989403 transform: scale(X) not being repainted when assigned to – done
      • bug 967844 support multi-layer APZ controllers – late landing (weekend work by N.Z., on inbound now), may need an uplift.
      • bug 1016539 color related (b&w, invert, contrast) accessibility features – done, but Gaia work has not landed yet.
    • Other active work not locked to 34:
      • bug 996611 Skia for content everywhere (where everywhere excludes D2D) – we believe we have all the bug fixes we want, and the rest of the failing tests will be fuzzed.
      • APZ on desktop – side project, ongoing.
      • tiling on desktop – ongoing, week of 9/22 is the current target for landing “something”.

JS (naveed)

  • Compiler (JIT)
    • bug 1059555: Found bug in js/src/SplayTree’s implementation of |forEach|. Fixed and landed.
    • bug 1057082: Landed generalize ProfilingFrameIterator and get it ready to support more frame types than just AsmJS frames.
    • bug 1046585: Finished removing js/src/assembler
    • bug 1056795: Optimized jit::ArrayPushDense
  • Garbage Collection
    • bug 995284: Made GC behvaiour deterministic in shell builds
  • Front End and Other
    • bug 894596: Patch to allow inlining global variable values (bug 894596)
    • Octanev2 benchmark had a minor change last week. AWFY updated to use latest Octane source.
    • bug 992267: Basic Odin SIMD support: implemented, reviewed, rebased, and landed \o/ – Great work Benjamin Bouvier and team

Layout (jet/dbaron)

Notable Landings

  • bug 967844 – (multi-layer-apz) Allow content from one scrollable element to fragment into multiple layers in order to fully support async scroll of out of flow content
  • bug 1059033 – TiledDrawTarget has a lot of overhead for some operations
  • bug 982338 – (osx-tiling) Use tiled thebes layers on OSX
  • bug 1033114 – Implement playback control on AnimationPlayer

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Landed the major MediaStreamGraph refactor to be driven off the audio output callbacks (bug 848954)
  • Bunch of screen-sharing and openh264 improvements/tweaks landed
    • Mac screenshare with multi-screen fixed
    • Pref to allow screenshare on XP and 10.6
    • Higher resolutions up to 1280×720@30 supported in OpenH264
    • Resolution adaptation due to load and bandwidth available now enabled for H.264
  • Major refactor of signaling code in webrtc (SIPCC) to tread-flatten it and remove dead or useless code
    • Should improve call connection rates considerably (we were getting bogged down in MainThread in things like multi-party TokBox calls)
    • No obvious significant regressions yet
    • Plugged a bunch of leaks
  • Turned off PeerConnection tests on B2G Debug emulator; it’s too slow to be useful
    • jgriffin hoping to move them to faster CPUs later this week; faster hardware if needed

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

Performance (vladan)

Blog posts:

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

10:58 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from me this week, I filled in a readonly and am watching on airmo.
10:58 cpeterson: KaiRo: ok, thanks
10:59 Noah_: Mossop: for example, under Based on Gecko 33, Firefox OS 1.4 - I see the date text overlapping "Currently in BETA channel"
10:59 Noah_: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases#Based_on_Gecko_33
11:00 Noah_: and more overlapping on various sections underneath that :/
11:02 cpeterson: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-09-02
11:03 KaiRo: isn't it always September on the Internet?
11:05 jorgev: heh
11:06 vladan: cpeterson:  i have an update
11:11 jesup: The media Mac issue was MP4 native support IIRC
11:15 jesup: I think you jsut have to disable it for long enough to log in; see comments on Yammer and elsewhere
11:15 jesup: re: http2/spdy
11:16 jesup: milan_: ^
11:16 KaiRo: yes, see http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2014/09/02/http2-interop-pains/
11:16 milan_: jesup: yup, thanks - it worked
11:16 jesup: np
11:17 milan_: jesup: but now I forgot why I was trying to get to google docs :)
11:17 jesup: just as well

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2014-09-0211:00 am Pacific Standard Time
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Alien Nation / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Mozilla Project: 2014-09-01

Filed under: Posts — Tags: — Jesper Kristensen @ 4:16 pm

All-hands Status Meeting Agenda

Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.

Friends of Mozilla

On behalf of SuMo we would like to thank Emily pierce the office assistant at SF for helping the community with Michelle Luna’s surprise

Upcoming Events

Wednesday, 03 September

Speakers

Presenter Title Topic Location Share? Media More Details
Who Are You? What Do You Do? What are you going to talk about? Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space) Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info) Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen Link to where audience can find out more information

Roundtable

Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we’ll do our best to get you an answer.

Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!

Who are you? Area of question Question
What’s your name? What do you work on? Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc. What would you like to know?

Welcome!

Let’s say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.

Introducing New Volunteers

New Volunteer(s) Introduced by Speaker location New Volunteer location Will be working on
Who is the new volunteer(s)? Who will be introducing that person? Where is the introducer? Where is the new person based? What will the new person be doing?

Introducing New Hires

New Hire Introduced by Speaker location New Hire location Will be working on
Shing Lyu Brian Huang Taipei office Taipei office Firefox OS QA Engineer
Eden Chuang Eric Chou Taipei office Taipei office Firefox OS Software Engineer

<meta>

Notes and non-voice status updates that aren’t part of the live meeting go here.

Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)

Engagement


  • Dial-in: conference# 8600
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 8600
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 8600
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 8600
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 8600
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 8600

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress