The Knight-Mozilla Fellowships bring together developers, technologists, civic hackers, and data crunchers to spend 10 months working on open source code with partner newsrooms around the world. The Fellowships are part of the Knight-Mozilla OpenNews project, supported by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. During their fellowship year, the Fellows collaborate with journalists to build the tools news organizations need to thrive on the open web. Continue reading …
Mozilla is extending its relationship with Telefonica by making it easier than ever to communicate on the Web.
Telefónica has been an invaluable partner in helping Mozilla develop and bring Firefox OS to market with 12 devices now available in 24 countries. We’re now expanding our relationship, exploring how to simplify communications over the Web by providing people with the first global communications system built directly into a browser.
There are many free communications services, but you have to register for an account and also give up your personal information in exchange for the right to use them. Our experiment in Firefox Beta requires none of this. It makes it simple to communicate with your friends and family because you don’t have to sign-up for a service, or have the same browser, software or hardware as the person you want to call. Continue reading …
Today, we’re announcing a promotion with Humble Bundle, one of the real innovators in game distribution, that brings eight hugely popular Indie games including the award-winning FTL directly to Firefox users. This promotion only runs for two weeks, so jump straight into the action here!
Mozilla has been able to unlock the Web as a viable commercial platform for gaming, by creating new technologies that deliver graphically rich, high-performance games to players without them having to endure lengthy downloads. With just a link to get directly into a game, it’s easier for players to try before they buy and for developers to share their games across the Web using social media. Continue reading …
We make Firefox for Android to give you greater flexibility and control of your online life. We want you to be able to view your favorite Web content quickly and easily, no matter where you are. That’s why we’re giving you the option to send supported videos straight from the Web pages you visit in Firefox for Android to streaming-enabled TVs via connected devices like Roku and Chromecast. Continue reading …
Firefox OS is now available on three continents with 12 smartphones offered by 13 operators in 24 countries. As the only truly open mobile operating system, Firefox OS demonstrates the versatility of the Web as a platform, free of the limits and restrictions associated with proprietary mobile operating systems.
Firefox OS is now available in Central America through Telefónica with launches in El Salvador, Panama, Nicaragua and Guatemala, and Deutsche Telekom launched the first Firefox OS devices in the Czech Republic and Macedonia.
“The flexibility and open foundations of Firefox OS give operators more choice and empower OEMs to deliver smartphones at more affordable prices,” said Neil Mawston, Executive Director of Strategy Analytics. “As Firefox OS continues its expansion into key growth markets such as Asia, Central and Latin America, it has emerged out of the ‘other’ category as one of the top platforms for the global smartphone industry.”
Bringing Firefox OS to Asia
- ALCATEL ONETOUCH launched the Fire C in India, available on Flipkart.com.
- Spice Retail Limited launched the Spice Fire One Mi – FX 1 in India. The phone is available on Snapdeal.com.
- Intex Technologies introduced the Cloud FX as the first Firefox OS smartphone in India, bringing a new device to the ultra-low cost category of smartphones. The Cloud FX is available on Snapdeal.com and also through Intex distribution channels.
- Zen Mobile will launch a Firefox OS phone in the ultra low cost category in India in October. This will bring the number of devices for sale in that country to four.
- Telenor via Grameenphone expanded its reach of Firefox OS phones from Europe to Bangladesh with the latest version of Firefox OS in the new GoFox F15. This includes better imaging features such as pinch zoom, HDR and a self timer.
- KDDI recently confirmed it will release a Firefox OS phone in Japan this December. KDDI also announced the release of an app development platform consisting of the Open Web Board, an HDMI-based development stick based on Firefox OS; Gluin, an application development tool for programming the board and an idea portal for developers to share and discuss app ideas.
Expanding Through Latin America
- In the past few months, Telefónica has brought Firefox OS to El Salvador, Panama, Nicaragua and Guatemala with the launch of the ZTE Open II. Telefónica will also launch the Alcatel ONETOUCH Fire C device in Costa Rica before the end of the year, completing the Firefox OS footprint in Central America.
- Telefónica Uruguay added three new Firefox OS devices to its portfolio: the ZTE Open C, ZTE Open II and ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire C. Telefónica customers in Colombia and Peru can now purchase both ZTE Open II and ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire C devices.
- Telefónica will launch Firefox OS devices in Argentina for the first time before the end of the year, and with the addition of Ecuador in the coming months, Firefox OS will soon be present in all of Telefónica’s Latin American markets.
- América Móvil, which launched Firefox OS phones in Mexico earlier this year, is committed to continue expanding its offering in Latin America.
Strengthening Presence in Europe
- Deutsche Telekom via congstar was first to start selling ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire E devices in Germany. These are now available online at www.congstar.de and in more than 700 Telekom shops across the country.
- Telefónica’s O2 Germany started to sell its first Firefox OS devices, the Alcatel ONETOUCH Fire E smartphones.
- Telefónica via Movistar started to sell ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire C devices in Spain.
- With the launch of the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire E, Deutsche Telekom brought Firefox OS smartphones to the Czech Republic for the first time.
- Deutsche Telekom via T-Mobile Poland started to sell the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire E in Poland.
- Deutsche Telekom via COSMOTE started to sell the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire E in Greece.
- Deutsche Telekom launched the ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fire C with Firefox OS in Macedonia for the first time.
“Mozilla’s mission has always been global but the successful launch of Firefox OS in Asia in the last quarter proves that this mission appeals to one of the fastest growing populations in the world,” said Li Gong, President of Mozilla. “The expansion of Firefox OS into a brand new category of smartphones, along with the continued growth of new form factors holds great promise for the adoption of open Web technology and for enabling millions more people to access the Web.”
By Mark Surman, Executive Director, Mozilla Foundation; and Darren Walker, President, Ford Foundation
We are at a critical point in the evolution of the Internet. Despite its emergence as an integral part of modern life, the Internet remains a contested space. Far too often, we see its core ethos – a medium where anyone can make anything and share it with anyone – undermined by forces that wish to make it less free and open. In a world in which the future health of the Internet is vital to democratic discourse and a free flow of ideas, we need a band of dedicated individuals standing ready to protect it.
That’s why we are joining together today to launch the Ford-Mozilla Open Web Fellows program, a landmark initiative to create a worldwide community of leaders who will advance and protect the free and open Web. Continue reading …
Maker Party is Mozilla’s annual campaign to teach the culture, mechanics and citizenship of the Web through community-run events around the world.
This week we celebrated the record-breaking 2,513 events in 86 countries that made up Maker Party 2014. The campaign, which officially began on July 15th and ended this week, brought nearly 130,000 adults and children together to learn valuable digital literacy skills in classrooms, libraries, cafes, and living rooms around the world. Continue reading …
Just weeks after launching the first Firefox OS devices in India, we are pleased to announce Firefox OS is available to more consumers across Asia with today’s launch in Bangladesh. At a press conference in Dhaka, Grameenphone, the local operator for the Telenor Group, announced that sales of the GoFox F15 (produced by Symphony) will start this week.
“This launch was made possible through the cooperation between Grameenphone, Telenor, Mozilla and Symphony,” says Rolv-Erik Spilling, SVP and Head of Telenor Digital. “For us, it’s important to provide the Bangladeshi market with an easy, affordable and locally relevant mobile internet experience, which the Firefox phone enables.” Continue reading …
We make Firefox for Android so that you can personalize your Web experience and get to the Web content you want to see quickly, easily and safely, no matter where you are in the world.
Now, you can make Firefox for Android your own in any of 55 languages, regardless of the language you originally downloaded your favorite browser in. With the new language switching feature, you can easily choose between and set a language without restarting your browser. You can switch between all of the languages Firefox for Android offers regardless of the locales supported by your Android device. Today, we have added Armenian, Basque, Fulah, Icelandic, Scottish Gaelic and Welsh language support to the languages Firefox for Android offered before. Continue reading …
The launch of two Firefox OS phones in India in the same week marks an exciting moment in Mozilla’s mission to promote openness and innovation on the Web, and an opportunity to empower millions of Indians wanting to buy their first smartphones. Firefox OS will enable users to obtain lower-cost devices that offer telephony, messaging and camera and rich capabilities like built-in social integration with Facebook and Twitter, the Firefox browser, FM radio and popular apps.
Intex Technologies has introduced the Cloud FX and will offer the phone exclusively on Snapdeal.com to give their customers a powerful and customizable smartphone experience. Spice Retail Limited is making the Spice Fire One Mi – FX 1 available exclusively on Snapdeal.com for a short time before selling it through major retail stores, Spice HotSpot stores and www.saholic.com. Continue reading …