Author Archives: Chris Ilias

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2010-06-14

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
    • Database issues are causing problems, so ignore data for now.
    • Firefox takes several minutes to start up has jumped to bottom-rated solved a problem. It’s written for a previous issue that was fixed Firefox 3.5.1; and there are extensions lately that are causing long startup times. Users are probably arriving there because we have no “Firefox takes a long time to start up” article. michaelverdi to replace the old article, and try point out specific extensions.
  • Proposed Summit Activities
    • These are submitted. Make sure the info on the page is correct.
    • Start preparing slides, etc. We can rehearse by presenting to each other before the summit.
  • Proposed Q3 goals
    • Firefox 4 beta preparations.
    • Merge the Mobile support site with the desktop support site.
      • In addition, make sure Android docs and community building are ready.
    • New site theme. This is part of a set of Mozilla sites getting a new theme.
    • Tiki maintenance release. We need to discuss if this is something we need/want.
    • Progress on Kitsune KB. Implementing the new KB is not likely to happen in Q3, but we should have an overview of what we can achieve.
    • PostCrash. A joint project with the Socorro team to make getting help with crashes a better experience.
    • FirefoxHome is being done before Q3. :-)
    • Make escalating Firefox issues (to Firefox dev and QA) more community-based and at least more known to the support community.
    • Get the community volunteers more involved. More details are needed.
    • djst to take all these ideas and draft Q3 goals.

Sumo development update

  • 2.1:
    • We understand the problem.
    • To really test the solution we need database replication in staging.
  • 2.2 is still underway.
    • AAQ work going on this week.
  • IT-required downtime on Tuesday night.
    • Database disk-space issue.
    • Will be down approximately 3 hours.

Knowledge Base

Forum

  • no update

Live Chat

  • Traffic returned to normal, but we were closed for a majority of the scheduled shifts due to unexpected downtime and the Kitsune 2.1 push
  • If Firefox 3.6.4 is released this week, we’ll have extended hours after the release.

Roundtable

  • FirefoxHome
    • SUMO 1.5.5.1 will be pushed to support.mozilla.com on Thursday. It’s one bug, creating an .htaccess redirect for the help link on the app page. We’ll have details early this week.
    • We’re also creating a module on mobile.support.mozilla.com to advertise FirefoxHome this week as well.
  • Sumo at LinuxTag
    • We ran out of time to cover this in the meeting, so Kadir will email an update to the team.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2010-06-07

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
    • Is tough to understand the dates. (Metrics are usually gathered Sun-Sat, but the dates on the Google doc are Mondays.)
      • Cell A1 now clarifies date
    • We are now getting top search terms from Webtrends. Trended searches will have to wait until we have been using Webtrends for at least a month.

Sumo development update

  • 2.1 (new discussion forums) targeted for Tuesday
    • We should announce to community, and let them know what is different (e.g. switch to Mediawiki markup). Topal will post in the Contributors forum.

Knowledge Base

  • Any update on supporting about:config questions? (Revisiting the monkey rule)
    • Topal to list pros/cons and send it out to the team today.
  • Removing the warning on the Profiles article might require updating articles that link to it.
    • We’ll try adding HTML code that will hide it the warning until we figure this out.
  • This week we’ll try adding helpful comments to individual article threads in the articles forum (link).
  • We’re working on finding areas of overlap with the new MDN wiki. We’re meeting with the MDN people on Wednesday this week.
  • We’re continuing to run helpfulness testsstatus.
  • PRD – We’re continuing to work on context scenarios, requirements and workflows. We’re expecting a first draft of a wireframe based on that first workflow tomorrow.

Forum

  • Snippets page is up
    • Some of them can be replaced with links to KB articles. We should add descriptive text to the page, so people know what belongs on that page.
  • Engagement team is helping in forum once a week. Based on feedback, we may expand it to the rest of Mozilla.

Live Chat

  • Traffic is down. We’re not sure why. We’ll see how this changes when 3.6.4 is released.

Roundtable

  • Summary of SUMO-related summit activities
    • cilias to create a wiki page.
  • Firefox 4 Beta support update
    • Later betas of Firefox 4 will target end-users, so we’ll expect more beta users than usual, and we’ll need to help them.
    • There is more to the plan than just SUMO (test pilot, surveys, newsletter). The SUMO part will be done primarily through the forum.
    • The big difference on our end is how we help beta testers. If someone is having a problem, don’t recommend that they switch to an end-user release.
  • UX testing for Kitsune KB
    • With so much time/effort being spent on the new KB, it is risky that we’re not getting feedback trough testing (rather than mockups and workflow documentation). There is no team at Mozilla that does “UX web testing”.
    • We don’t have Sumodev resources to code for the sake of user testing, but it’s not like development is going to stop after the rewrite either. The new code will also allow Sumodev to iterate faster.
    • If we can find ways to do that on our own to catch low hanging fruit, we should do that.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2010-05-17

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
    • There was a bug in the way forum posts were counted. That is now fixed.
    • Number of new forum threads went down a lot. Cww to investigate.

Sumodev

  • No update. James is travelling today.

Knowledge Base

  • Helpfulness tests launched:
    • Start Page
    • Article
      • We have limited bandwidth for all tests, so we decided to combine all variations into two tests, so they get as many visits as possible. We can see if they have an affect and by how much, then refine it from there.
  • Kitsune PRD
    • Continued to develop Personas, Context scenarios and Requirements – Update
      • Some edits to the brainstorming doc already.
      • Topal will travel to the Mozilla Balkans meetup this weekend, to get feedback on PRD.

Forum

  • no update

Live Chat

  • Personal support survey results
    • Majority of helpers felt that live chat was more affective. They liked getting a thank you in live chat, and didn’t like forum threads where the user never replied.
    • Helpers tend to answer the same number of questions regardless of how much time is spent.
    • High traffic hours scare some helpers, because they are afraid they will be overworked.
    • We should try to introduce what made live chat better to the rest of sumo (gratification, help from other users, forced collaboration between contributors)
    • Troubleshooting articles that are inherently complex should promote live chat.

Roundtable

  • Overview of KB PRD work
    • Problem and vision statement, to make sure everyone is on the same page as to why this is being done, and what we want to achieve.
    • We established personas of people who would use sumo (users, contributors, localizers, admins, etc.), and we established which were primary users, and secondary users.
    • We created multiple context scenarios for each personas, to dream up how the system would work to help them accomplish all goals.
    • We extracted the requirements from the context scenarios.
    • From that we created a concept map.
    • After getting feedback today from the rest of SUMO team, next step is to present this to Chris Howse to prepare expectations (how much time is required, how many mockups are needed). We will also start getting community feedback in the weekly IRC meetings. It is important to note that these pages are not final.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2010-05-10

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
    • 24 hours of dataloss means that some stats will look weird.
    • Forum response rate is going up! It would be nice to get a list of top contributors. Cww to send that out.
    • Trended search terms are dependant on traffic, which makes them not trustworthy. Cww has a more reliable way of doing it, so he will fill in those metrics from now on.
  • Quick metrics gathering and common issues gathering flowcharts
    • This is an overview. More detailed documentation to come.
    • We can look at ways to enable community contribution in the process. (e.g. tagging threads)
    • The flow chart is good, but needs more explanatory text.

Knowledge Base

  • Kitsune KB PRD report
  • Helpfulness Tests:
    • How to set the home page rewrite
    • Profiles rewrite
    • Home page categories (needs review)
    • Embeded screencasts (needs review) To see the example, click on show for Mac os and the first video is the example. To implement, I’ll have to make new screencasts for the Windows version and add them to the current article and then construct the test page from that.
  • Verbatim documentation: I drafted an article and screencast but a solution for importing the current SUMO interface strings was found. The article will get split in two and rewritten as general Verbatim instructions.
    • Staś from the localization team is helping write a script to port strings over to Verbatim so localizers don’t have to retranslate strings as we move to Verbatim. (Yay Staś!)

Forum

  • no update

Live Chat

  • Results from informal contributor survey
    • Users more grateful in Live Chat (instant gratification)
    • Live Chat has a lot of contributor churn than the Forum. Fewer helpers are “lost” in weeks with fewer questions
    • A lot of contributors like the live chat workflow, and it has advantages for certain types of users.
      • How can we incorporate more of what makes Live Chat work into other methods of support, and how can we better focus our real-time support resources?
  • zzxc dropped from the call before he could get into this presentation, so he will do the presentation next week.

Roundtable

  • Starting to gather ideas for support-related activities during the summit.
    • Take advantage of so many sumo contributors being together in the same place.
    • Figure out how we can be more helpful to other teams in Mozilla.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2010-05-03

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
  • Weave Support
    • Weave support will be moving to support.mozilla.com.
    • Do we use a “weave” tag in the forum, or create a sub-forum?
      • Tags are easier to implement and more flexible. Sub-forums are better for building communities. If we can use tags and present it like a sub-forum (e.g. Gmail or even Flickr tag URLs), that would work best. In other words, virtual sub-forums. The same will apply to when mobile support is moved to support.mozilla.com.
      • Next: We should think about how it will be presented to users.

Knowledge Base

  • Reformatted article – How to set the home page
  • SUMO Audit report
  • KB PRD progress
  • Working on documentation for Verbatim in anticipation of Kitsune 2.0 release
    • Targeted for Wednesday, but the sooner the better, so localizers can work started before Thursday’s push.
    • Right now, this is only needed for search-related strings (i.e. the search results page)

Forum

  • no update

Live Chat

Roundtable

  • Handling localization
    • Create a communication channel for sumo localizers
      • We recently created an alias address for messages to locale leaders, but it doesn’t include localizers who are not locale leaders. Adding/Editing the recipient list is done via IT, so if we want people to opt in easily, we should move that to a mailman list.
      • Another option is the mozilla.dev.l10n.web newsgroup/mailing list/Google Group. The drawback to that is that it includes discussion about other Mozilla websites. It is not sumo-only.
      • Next: Kadir to ask localizers what they prefer.
    • How to prevent localizers from translating Kitsune forum strings
      • Forum strings are going to appear in Verbatim. Right now, the forum is English-only, and localizing it will give non-English users the false impression that it isn’t English-only.
      • We could make those templates not localizable, but in the future, we should be able to provide a support forum in another language if a locale community requests it.
      • Next: This needs more time to discuss than we have in the meeting. Let’s investigate a good solution, and the time/effort required for each possibility.
  • Start page categories
    • We need a mockup with text before giving feedback on how many categories we should have and what they should be.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2010-04-26

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
    • More people are replying to threads that already contain a reply, so it may be good for contributors to default to “Threads with no replies” in Kitsune. For now, Cww can look at links to the forum from contributor docs, and manipulate the URL.
    • We may see a jump in traffic, because 3.5 users may get another notice about 3.6 this week. Devs have not decided on that yet.

Knowledge Base

Forum

  • no update

Live Chat

  • I did some UX testing of Live Chat last week – videosnotes (contributor), notes (user)
    • There’s a lot of info. It may be best to create a meeting in which Michael can present the highlights of the audits. Tentatively scheduled for Wednesday @ 9PT.

Roundtable

  • Question of the day
    • Kadir would choose an engaging forum question each day and post it in IRC, to encourage people on IRC to help on the forum as well, particularly Firefox experts.
  • Weekly IRC meetings
    • Many community members don’t like telephone meetings, so this would be a weekly IRC meeting. Kadir to ask community members to find out which time of the day works best.
  • RRRT page for SUMO contributors
    • Cww will document how he does the common issues right now, so we can discuss how to optimize it and get community members involved.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2010-04-19

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
    • Rows 33, 34, and 35 are added to compare our growth and success with Firefox ADU numbers
    • Number of forum thread went down significantly, and so did the Windows start page bounce rate. Not sure exactly why. Maybe a search problem in the ‘Ask a question’ app? jsocol to look at spikes in AAQ error logs. cilias to look at daily numbers. Might also be a good candidate for a metrics test.
    • We’re investigating why so many people search for “cookies”. One possibility is that they are seeing the link in the search box. We’re not tracking which searches are typed right now, but we should make sure it is possible with Webtrends.

Knowledge Base

  • Kitsune KB decisions page is ready for discussion. We will be going through it this week.
  • Shae Rivard is working on Personas articles.
    • Go Shae!
  • We will be updating articles for OOPP ASAP
    • The sooner the better, because we nee to allow time for localizers to apply the changes before Firefox 3.6.4.
  • KB audit is finishing up – Michael will post his notes by the end of Tuesday. Currently there are two user experience test video posted there.
    • Everyone should watch the videos! It is a great insight as to how support is used by people not familiar with the system.
  • In support of our goal to increase helpfulness by 2% we’ve outlined some tests that we want to run.

Forum

  • no update

Live Chat

  • zzxc is collecting responses to a new contributor survey, which we’re using to compare the reach of Live Chat with other methods of support. (If you’re interested in answering the survey and I haven’t given it to you yet, ask me on IRC)
  • We’re working to finalize the timeline for delivering the web-based client

Roundtable

  • Starting today, we’ll let people help on Twitter using their own Twitter account. A contributor page and blog post are ready for review and feedback. Next week, we plan to announce it on Facebook.
    • Metrics on this will be hard to compile. We shouldn’t do it by hand.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2010-04-12

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
    • Traffic is down – normal post-Easter occurrence
  • Overall Support Coverage
    • Approx. 0.5% drop in coverage because we are now using the Windows start page for the “For IE Users” help-topic. The L10n Dashboard hasn’t been updated in 2 weeks. Cww and cilias to discuss why it hasn’t updated.
    • pt-BR Windows start page was created yesterday! Kadir to reach out to Fernando.

Knowledge Base

  • New article: Plugin crash reports
    • KB update plan for OOPP is drafted
      • This is for Firefox 3.6.4 which is scheduled for early May. cilias to coordinate with Kadir, so we have time for localizers to pick up the changes as well.
  • https://wiki.mozilla.org/Support/Kitsune/KB will be our main page for the Kitsune KB PRD work. (Will be updated soon)
  • We should define details for the first Q2 metrics tests this week.
    • michaelverdi to update the page today.
  • So far the KB helpfulness has increased an average of 0.006 since SUMO 1.5.3 (daily avg since push minus daily avg for 7 days prior)
    • Doesn’t look statistically significant. Metrics can help us eliminate statistical noise.

Forum

  • No update this week. Stay tuned to tomorrow’s SumoDev meeting for an update on Kitsune forum update.

Live Chat

  • “License file for this version could not be found” error on startup peaked after the 3.6.3 update, but we don’t (yet) have a KB article for this.
    • zzxc to see if those users are have Norton
    • zzxc to write the KB article
  • Broken website issues still account for the majority of unsolved chats.
    • Facebook games/chat problems most common last week, due to outdated plugins.
  • We should create a way for contributors to stay up to date with recent common issues.
    • Weekly common issues report is not frequent enough.
    • Look at something like a RRRT page for SUMO

Social Media

  • No update. “Social Media” should not be its own section for weekly meetings.

Roundtable

  • Nothing

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2010-04-07

Sumo

Knowledge Base

Live Chat

  • Broken websites was the only issue that wasn’t solved in the majority of chats. (Hotmail, Yahoo Games, and Facebook games)
    • We don’t have any solution for cases where the latest Java plugin doesn’t work in Firefox 3.6 on Windows (0% solved)
      • Cww will ask AMO team about gray-listing old versions of Java.
    • Broken websites was also our top issue last week

Social Media

  • First results of the Twitter experiment
    • ~30 daily contributors would be needed to cover 1% of total tweets
    • Contributors felt it was worthwhile
    • Next step: Keep using CoTweet adding people to CoTweet based on trust level, and find a way to let people use individual twitter accounts.
  • Ricmacas report:
    • Twitter messages are short, so answers are not full but a guideline to help the user find the answer.
    • Twitter users are not expecting to get help, so they are generally appreciative right away.

Roundtable

  • IRC presentation at #sumo with Ricmacas: ensuring participation of SUMO volunteers with methods and activities to promote and recognize the good efforts helpers, making them examples for the community.
    • Something like “Friends of the tree” but specifically for SUMO, and with some sort of certificate the recipient can take with them.
    • The idea is good. We should discuss the details after the meeting.

SUMO platform roadmap for the rest of 2010: The timeline

Now that we’ve decided to develop a new platform for SUMO, let’s look at how it’ll be developed and how the transition will take place. Since SUMO consists of many components which can be developed one-by-one, Kitsune will be implemented in a series of releases rather than all at once. As each component is developed, it will replace the current SUMO code and we’ll essentially have a hybrid system until the transition is complete.

So what comes first and when does it happen?

  • SUMO 2.0 – Search results: April 2010.
  • SUMO 2.1 – Contributors forum and the Off-topic forum: May 2010.
    These are general discussion forums, and the goal is to move off of TikiWiki code while retaining functionality.
  • SUMO 2.2 – Support forum: June 2010.
    The Support forum has many features specifically designed for providing software support and is coded separately. Part of this goal is to redesign the support forum to make it easier for users to find answers without cluttering the forum with “me too” posts. Another part is to make it easier for community members to get involved and become contributors. If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know that the work has already begun on the redesign. For more information, see the PRD, and the previous blog posts.
  • SUMO 2.3 – Wiki: Summer and Autumn 2010.
    The wiki is what is used for the Knowledge Base, and other documentation (including localization). This is the most complex component and therefore we expect it to require the most time. We’ll also be taking this opportunity to redesign the KB as well, So for the next three months we will start working with the community to draft the details. More information about that process will be posted soon.
  • SUMO 2.4 – User management: Winter 2010.
    This last component covers items like login, log out, and preferences. For technical reasons, all other components need be done before this can be transitioned.

Once that last user management piece is in place, we will be fully transitioned to Kitsune. Any bugs found in the new code will likely need to wait (unless they’re severe) until the entire transition is finished before being addressed.