Tag Archives: Meetings

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2009-06-29

Sumo

  • Firefox 3.5 status
    • List of potential 3.5 issues is up in the Contributor forum
    • Potential addition: Error correction if people have changed folder names of top-level bookmark folders
    • List of add-ons not compatible with 3.5
      • Tab Mix Plus is definitely not compatible
      • TwitterFox?
      • Cww to ask Nick for a list and update the thread today
    • zzxc to post a Contributor forum post about specific Live Chat policies during the hectic launch — we need to be more efficient and less “chatty” to cope with the increased traffic
    • zzxc to blog about the above; cww to review
  • SFD5 review
    • What went really well:
      • Demonstrating new technology. SUMO is a way to learn more about Firefox and be on
      • Getting people together
      • Putting faces on many of the regulars interacting with SUMO — Cww pointed camera to Marcia, reed, etc during the broadcast, which was a fun and engaging way to make the Mozilla people more familiar
      • Video broadcasting worked well
      • Time of day worked well for both Europe and Americas
      • Short and focused event
    • What didn’t work well:
      • Technical issues, like the IRC chat
      • Sometimes video sync problems
      • Video wasn’t really active, often just audio. For example, sometimes nothing changed in the video for minutes, while a discussion was taking place.
    • Ideas for the future:
      • Task-oriented events focusing on specific tasks that need to be completed, and less focus on engaging/fun activities
  • Weekly metrics
    • Top trended search term is Firefox 3.5
    • Firefox Crashes article is not as understandable
  • Last week’s weekly support issues
    • No specific new issues
    • 3.5 feedback is looking great — no major issues from SUMO users

Knowledge Base

  • KB is ready to 3.5.
    • Screenshots are done for over 60% page hits.
    • Top 6 locales average at over 90% on l10n Dashboard.
    • Articles on Installing Firefox and Updating Firefox will be updated at the time of release.
      • cilias to update the staging copies of the articles and hit the publish button as soon as 3.5 ships
    • If a user notices something that should be updated in the KB, remember to encourage him/her to try editing the article.
  • Any post-3.5 issues that need docs? Use Requesting an article.

Forum

  • How many more people participated in the forum during SFD? How many sticked after SFD? Cww to follow up with metrics next week.
  • 5 new contributors registered and posted in the forum last week

Live Chat

  • Blog post tonight about participating during the 3.5 launch
  • Schedule for tomorrow, everyone is invited to sign up to help.
  • Firefox 3.5 tags from last week – user experience by far the top 3.5 issue.
    • zzxc to post detailed info about user experience problems related to 3.5 in Live Chat and ensure that the most important issues are covered in the previously mentioned list

Roundtable

  • Let’s all embrace for impact — the 3.5 launch is going to be awesome/crazy!
  • Great commitments from the QA and engineering teams to help out together with the SUMO community during the launch.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2009-06-22

Sumo

  • RC1 support status
    • Cww going to run queries on forum
    • One problem for people upgrading from beta to RC1 might lose all their passwords when they clear recent passwords [1]
    • zzxc reports that a minority of people in Live Chat are on 3.5
    • zzxc to do a Live Chat query
    • List of 3.5 forum threads
  • Last week’s weekly support issues
    • Java freezes – lots of people having Java freezing, causing Firefox to hang. There is a JavaScript snippet that is being used on many web pages that seems to hang
    • Flash on OSX has gotten crashier [2]
  • Weekly metrics
    • Malaysian locale is up and active!
    • More forum participation

Knowledge Base

  • Crash article CSAT is up from 3.88 in May to 4.38 this month. Understandability has dropped to below 50%.
  • New pages addressing l10n feedback from last year:
  • Firefox 3.5 KB update
    • KB audit edits are backported to Updating articles for 3.5 page.
    • Now that RC2 is out everyone can update screenshots. Blog post is drafted.
    • Top localizers have been updating as well. de, fr, it, es, ja, nl average at over 90% on l10n Dashboard.

Forum

  • bug 464906 happening again.
    • If you’re posting in the forum and run into this bug, please comment in the bug with the exact time that this happened!

Live Chat

Roundtable

  • Support Firefox Day happening this Thursday!
  • Firefox Crashes article is a little confusing. Cww talked to Austin King about how we could connect SUMO with crash stats page for a specific crash. cilias and cww to discuss how to word it so it’s clear.
  • Web Chat client status?
    • zzxc: Got some of it done last week. Should have a demo ready on a test server this week. Will post access info in the Contributors forum.
  • cilias has blog post in need of review. Cww to review it.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2009-06-08

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
    • A lot of article updates (adding “Firefox 3.5″ category to most en-US articles, and many Italian)
    • We need a way to mass-change categories. Cww to file a bug and write a simple SQL script that will be tested on staging.
  • Last week’s weekly support issues
    • Nothing really common.
  • SUMO Q3 goals planning
    • Proposed goals, based on 2009 roadmap and new requirements:
      • Productize SUMO – Make SUMO a support solution that can be deployed for other software projects
      • Launch Fennec Support website based on SUMO
      • Implement contributor karma system to show recognition and encourage participation in the SUMO community
      • Implement WYSIWYG Knowledge Base editor
      • Implement Web based Live Chat client
      • Forum UX (streamline process of submitting and receiving answer to forum question)?
      • Upgrade TikiWiki to 3.0 and get upstreaming process in place
    • Other features?
      • Ability to PM other contributors (cilias). Feels more like a separate bug and not a milestone/goal.
    • In order to make an informed decision about time and resource requirements, we need PRDs for all of these proposed goals. By next week’s sumodev meeting, we should be able to decide which of these goals will happen in Q3.
      • cilias to work on WYSIWYG PRD
      • zzxc to finalize work on already existing Live Chat PRD
      • djst & Cww to co-work on forum enhancements (draft PRD)
      • Everyone to work together on karma discussion and future PRD.
      • laura has already written a PRD for Fennec Support

Knowledge Base

  • KB audit for 3.5 is almost done. [1]
    • Going to start thread(s) in contributors forum about remaining articles.
    • Again, big thanks to Bo for helping out.
    • This raised an issue of having to edit an article just to add it to a category.
  • Translation table of home page is having issues, so if fallback does not work for a specific locale, tell us. [2]
  • Lots of article requests last week. [3]
  • How do we take search terms, and figure out what users are most likely searching for?
    • cww says nkoth might know more about this and how the new search engine works. cilias to ask nkoth.

Forum

  • Do we force users to have a valid e-mail? [4]
    • Shouldn’t be mandatory; if it is, cww will file a bug

Live Chat

Roundtable

  • SFD definitely June 18th.
  • Next about:sumo just before SFD? Or after?
    • After. We have too much going on at the same time, plus, having it after the SFD will allow us to encourage participants of SFD to sign up for the newsletter.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2009-03-02

Sumo

  • djst has serious connection problems today so this meeting was done in irc.mozilla.org, channel #sumo.
  • Weekly metrics
    • Number of new forum posts has gone down, but the responses are up, much thanks to our heroes cor-el and Quarantine
    • Bounce rate on start page is up from 53% to 60%. Last week the most popular support articles list was updated. Is that the reason? Need to figure this out before we launch the first start page optimization test.
  • Last week’s weekly support issues (Actually delayed due to snow… will have by this afternoon)

Knowledge Base

  • Cannot uninstall an add-on article is finally updated for MS .NET add-on issue. bug 476661
    • Bo did much of the heavy lifting — big thanks for that!
  • Going to add additional categories for Windows, Mac, and Linux. bug 480566 (part of upcoming “This article applies to” feature)
  • Creating Articles translated into German by Thomas Lendo, who posted proposal for added clarity in English article.

Forum

  • Number of contributors not up much since my blog post but hopefully will keep an eye on it.
    • djst, zzxc, cww, cilias, and OzFox1 to start their days with 10 minutes of forum helping!

Live Chat

  • Dump of top 25 issues from last week, crashes and sqlite corruption still major issues
  • 12 new helper accounts last week, 3 answered at least one chat
  • Orcadas is now a room monitor
  • OzFox1 has some ideas for the future web based Live Chat client. zzxc and OzFox1 to talk about requirements to make sure all ideas are considered.

Roundtable

  • SUMO Community Map created. If you’re a SUMO contributor, get yourself added to the map!
  • Reminder that next week’s meeting will be our second SUMO community meeting. Everyone is invited! Great opportunity to provide direct feedback or ask any questions about SUMO, help planning the upcoming Support Firefox Day, and much more.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2009-02-23

Sumo

Knowledge Base

Forum

  • Contributor participation down (the top 3) two weeks in a row. This is mostly because one contributor isn’t helping as much.
  • Brainstorming about how to attract more contributors. Jason Barnabe had a great idea about a blog post that was drafted but disappeared. Cww to pick it up and re-write it.

Live Chat

  • Chat issue guide updates
  • New chat query script on tools server allows viewing all chats by issue, to track the frequency of each issue from week-to-week
  • Tobbi is now a Room Monitor. Congrats and welcome, Tobbi!
  • 13 new accounts (12 inactive, 1 joining Contributors, 0 taking chats)

Roundtable

  • Next open format meeting?
    • March 9th!
    • cww to post list of suggested topics for further discussion

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2009-02-02

Attendees: djst, cilias, cww, zzxc

Sumo

  • Brainstorm on how to improve pages like How to Contribute and Contributor Home Page to help grow our community
    • zzxc noticed that people tended to read everything before following instructions.
    • Make the instructions less disruptive – for example, the step by step instructions on Helping with Live Chat links to separate pages without properly linking back to the instructions again (zzxc)
    • New introduction to page describing how to contribute to the forum, and create sticky thread in support forum linking to it (cww)
    • Identify ways to help users filing better forum threads (cww)
    • zzxc posted drafts of new How to Contribute documents — great improvements! team to review and formalize plan
    • cilias suggests adding more screenshots/screencasts
      • For the Installing Spark article, we should have a screencast right now (zzxc)
      • Add more descriptions to Contributor Home Page and move some of the less actionable stuff to the sidebar
  • Decide on SFD theme
    • Firefox 3.1 best new features (leveraging press around 3.1) and how to support them and get started using them.
      • Pros: will get lots of people
      • Cons: requires getting input and speaking from 3.1 devs which may be a little hectic.
    • Keeping you and your computer safe online (addressing Firefox 3/3.1 security features, what the different kinds of security certificate mean and why it’s important that we warn users about all the possible problems, also malware, what it is and what to do about it)
      • Pros: really important thing that we cover this for our users and the videos can be great tools later.
      • Cons: It’d be a publicity conflict with 3.1 since it comes out at roughly the same time so I expect fewer participants.
    • Decision: Firefox 3.1!
  • Weekly metrics
    • New data: active Live Chat contributors
  • Last week’s weekly support issues
    • Bunch of new documentation written. cww to check if it’s searchable in the KB and remove it from Specific issues list.

Knowledge Base

  • 3.1 category is up.
  • 12 translations of the Options window split text received. I’ve implemented 2, and plan on devoting this week to implementing as much of the rest as I can. [1]
  • New help-topic link: about:privatebrowsing is going to have a link to our Private Browsing article. bug 475551
  • Firefox 2 EOL text is on support.planning [2]
  • 2 new articles:
  • Looking for McAfee users to investigate how to prevent it from disabling the Firefox pop-up blocker (w/intructions and screenshots)

Forum

  • Now consistently more contributor replies than new threads so we’ve hit critical mass. Yay!! Big thanks to co-rel and Quarantine for their great help.

Live Chat

  • Metrics update – participation slightly up:
    • 7 new accounts, 1 new active helper, 2 account approvals (NicHelps, orcadas)
    • Open 18.9 hours last week.
    • 12 total contributors active last week
  • New room monitor: lslutsky — Welcome aboard!

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2009-01-26

Attendees: djst, cilias, cww, zzxc

Sumo

  • Takeaways from the January 12 community meeting
    • Why do people participate — enjoying the community feel
    • People seem to enjoy being able to share ideas and get immediate response
    • We should do this more often
    • cilias was surprised about the community aspect being the main drive for people, tended to think that support is the thing that brings people together.
      • djst can only speak from his own experiences but for him it was definitely the feeling of being part of the community that was the strongest motivator. that and the feeling of giving something back to Mozilla.
  • Q1 2009 goals — we have more goals in total, but here are some of the highlights and our main focuses:
    • Improve website performance (SUMO 0.9)
    • Clear l10n dashboard (SUMO 1.0)
    • UI/UX polish (SUMO 1.1)
    • Update Knowledge Base for Firefox 3.1 (cilias)
    • Optimize SUMO start page for finding solutions to problems using manual A/B tests (djst/chofmann/jslater)
    • Host another fantastic Support Firefox Day (cww)
    • Establish biweekly communication with Live Chat and Forum community members for better outreach (principally zzxc)
  • Weekly metrics
    • No CSAT data for the KB in the doc because of Omniture problem. Cww to file bug about. cilias to help with collecting it once it’s up again in Omniture
  • Last week’s weekly support issues
    • The status “Needs doc” means we need to file a KB Article bug to get the documentation writing going. zzxc and cww to file bugs for the items in the list.

Knowledge Base

  • Options window sub-articles have been pushed to KB, and articles linking to it have been updated. Next step is to get them localized. We have around 20 translations today; out of those 5 localizers have responded. cilias to blog about the process and cross-post in the l10n newsgroups.
  • New Czech and Vietnamese locale leaders. Welcome Pavel Cvrcek (JasnaPaka) and NGUYỄN-Mạnh Hùng (loveleeyoungae)!
  • Locked places help-topic should be working in all its glory. Any update on streamlining the solution? cilias to cc some devs to the article for review. We might want to condense it to make it easier to follow for users (e.g. just keep the last resort solution).
  • Found a critical bug regarding SHOWFOR versions detection, which is most likely the cause of some articles have a low understandability rating. bug 474842

Forum

  • Thread rename policy — Ask moderators to actively rename? Or rename retroactively?
    • djst suggests we should rename titles that need clarification. Generally, we should always strive to make the information finding as straightforward as possible, both for contributors and users. If the thread title is vague, we should clarify it.
  • Should we have standardized answers for “monkey article” questions? (In particular cookies.sqlite, places.sqlite and using about:config to customize the awesomebar.)
    • Canned responses integrated to the forum response window would be nice, but we simply don’t have the resources for it (and it’s not very high up in our priority list). Generally in forums, new members tend to look at what the veterans are doing. We should be thankful that we have kickass helpers like Cor-el leading the way and posting helpful responses already!
  • bug 472310 preventing threads from showing on the first page, patch almost ready, will be fixed in 0.8.2

Live Chat

  • Metrics update
    • 21 new accounts last week (3 helped in at least one chat, 2 approved into support workgroup)
    • About 6 active participants per week, but putting in more hours than previously
    • Traffic and participation still up
    • Of 697 questions, 11 were from Firefox 3.1 beta users
  • Disconnections continue to be a big problem; some users took 4+ tries to stay connected. (471456)

Roundtable

  • Twitter is up at http://twitter.com/moz_sumo cww to tweet interesting discussion threads in Contrib forum and support.planning as well as every blog post. cww to announce it on the SUMO blog.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2008-12-22

Attendees: djst, cilias, zzxc

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
    • Lots of KB updates in part because of our friend Bo!
    • Would be interesting to see how many locales are being edited per week
    • djst to add a wiki page with the metrics we’d like to collect in the automatic dashboard
    • Bug with the bottom understandable articles list — different top articles depending on how many articles you display in the list. cilias to file bug.
    • Significantly lower bounce rate on both start pages. No good explanation; normal start page got an updated top issues lust, but what about the inproduct start page?
  • Last week’s weekly support issues
    • Got crash logs from Live Chat for Google Desktop. zzxc to attach to relevant bugs.
    • Got lots of feedback from new users of Firefox 3. Top confusions:
      • After clearing history, things still showing up in Awesome Bar. The question is how much impact the addition of the Privacy preferences in 3.1 will have if people don’t understand what they’re seeing.
        • Ideas on how we can reduce the confusion users are experiencing; djst proposed a “notification bar” inside the Awesome Bar that would appear when there is no history, notifying the user that the list still list bookmarks, with info on how to change that behavior. That could hopefully make it more obvious to the user that the Clear Private Data feature isn’t broken.
      • People are confused by the UI for adding a bookmark to a specific folder. Needs to click two small arrow buttons to select sub-folders (one to show folder selection, and another to expand a parent folder).
        • zzxc to summarize the feedback
  • Start page layout looks crappy [1]

2008 review

  • We’ve come a long way since the beginning of 2008:
    • From en-US only Knowledge Base to over 20 active locales
    • Moved in-product help to web based help on SUMO
    • From launch of Live Chat to over 20 active helpers per month
    • 50 active SUMO contributors per week
    • Helping at least 30,000 users of Firefox every month (these are people that actively said “yes, this solved my problem”)
    • Robust metrics about common issues in Firefox reported to QA/dev teams every week
  • Room for lots of improvements in 2009:
    • Performance is a top complaint among contributors — top priority in Q1 2009
    • Better communication with members of the SUMO community. Personal outreach, e-mail, Skype meetings, etc. The SUMO community is part of something really important that ties into everything else that we do at Mozilla; we need to communicate that. MozillaCMS is interesting for SUMO.
    • Dig deeper into our data — need an automated metrics dashboard for the weekly metrics so we can focus on digging deeper
    • Preliminary 2009 roadmap is up on the wiki [2]

Knowledge Base

  • Private Browsing article is up
  • Lots of updates for 3.1 content
    • Big thanks to our friend Bo, who has been doing most of the updating!
  • In Firefox meeting I asked about what is being about Smart Location Bar
    • Drop-down setting in Privacy panel to set suggestions to “History and Bookmarks”, “History”, “Bookmarks”, or “Nothing”.
    • UI was recently put in nightlies, but pref |browser.urlbar.search.sources| has been in about:config for a while. It should be in Beta 2.

Live Chat

  • Contribution way up with the 3.0.5 release, total chat sessions almost doubled
    • 10 new accounts last week, out of which 5 helped with at least one chat
    • New account approvals: mindstormskid, tom06, listerofsmeg, mcgiwer, dan
    • New room monitor. Welcome to the team, Tanner!
  • Live Chat CSAT is now collecting data. Several users have replied to us in the forum using the forum link on the CSAT page.
  • Limited hours this week due to holiday

Roundtable

  • Thanks for a fantastic year and Merry Christmas to the SUMO community!
  • Meeting as usual next Monday

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2008-12-08

Attendees: djst, cilias, zzxc, cww, lucy

Sumo

Knowledge Base

  • Almost 200 article comments (140 since Wednesday night)
    • Caused by the major update
    • cilias will post useful comments in Contributors forum
  • Filed bug 467814 for a separate article about places being locked.
    • For clarification: unchecking the “Read-only” attribute not the solution. Solution is to rename (or delete) places.sqlite and import a backup
  • 3 new articles to review this week.
  • “Images or animations do not show” overhaul waiting for review [1]
  • cilias will post summary of l10n feedback shortly
  • How to handle Firefox 2 content discussion [2]

Forum

  • Users who are answering without logging in or registering. Probably a good thing, will have better stats when we start tracking statuses.

Live Chat

  • Openfire server problems should be resolved now
    • Sometimes Foxkeh wasn’t showing
  • Archiver broken by update, not possible to get last week’s weekly metrics
  • Stats from last week: 4 new accounts, 1 account approval, 1 new user ready to be approved
  • Top issues (cww to merge this with Weekly Issues doc)
    • Bookmarks in the Smart Location bar after history is cleared
    • Firefox crashes while browsing, downloading, or printing: 9
      • Plugins and extensions seem to be the most common causes
    • Passwords not saved: 4
    • Corrupt cookies, logins not saved

Roundtable

  • We need to get a tools server set up so we can do automated weekly metrics and other stuff on a dedicated server: bug 467829
  • bug 467018 causing trouble. zzxc to test and provide more info, and djst to bring this up during the sumodev meeting.
  • Blog schedule for this week is empty/open.
    • Publish an official blog schedule for the SUMO blog?
      • Doesn’t seem like it’s needed considering the team size and blogging frequency. We just want to make sure everyone doesn’t blog the same day.

Minutes of SUMO meeting 2008-10-13

Attendees: djst, zzxc, Cww, nkoth, myles7897

Sumo

  • Weekly metrics
    • djst has created a dashboard in Omniture so everyone in the team can look at the same data
    • Next step is to make sure that data is published automatically
  • Last week’s weekly support issues
    • Format has completely changed, new status fields.
    • Now focuses on getting info from Forums mainly rather than Hendrix.
    • How to get people to sign up?
      • Blog about it, and make sure the info on the page is as straightforward as possible — suggest creating a separate FAQ for the descriptions and explanations
    • How do we keep track of Policy on threads asking for more information
      • We could use one contributor forum thread per weekly common issue, to keep track of information gathering etc.
      • Alternatively, we could create a separate forum if these threads are taking over the contributor forum

Knowledge Base

  • KB metrics (Cww)
    • This is how we calculate the top KB articles. Just looking at the vote polls is not enough, as some articles are much more trafficked than others, skewing the data.
    • Have to look at what people search for, and normalize the score with the page hits.
  • Bugzilla: 1 new article request [1], 0 article bugs verified fixed
  • Going to send out survey to localizers this week
  • All top 15 articles in the Knowledge Base are translated into Japanese! SUMO is proud. :)

Support Forum

  • Some recent db issues recently bug

Live Chat

  • Top issues – full report coming soon
    • Many users can’t figure out how to sort bookmark folders due to bug 400447
    • More info needed on Flash sound issue, bug 436686
    • Yahoo logins not working for some people, seems to be related to Yahoo Toolbar
    • Preferences not saved, same as last week
    • Logins not remembered after restarting Firefox, same as last week
    • Strange Mac issues (fonts look wrong, gfx issues, window positioning wrong) fixed by clearing Mac caches.
  • 6 accounts created, 0 accounts approved
  • Traffic down last week, percentage of chats answered up to 70%
  • New blog post about scheduling live chat hours, anyone who can help should add themselves
  • Live Chat CSAT: idea page updated, bug 458713

SFD

  • No more feedback. We should just pick a date and hope that we have the response that we need.
    • The focus is on localization, so we need to split up the day in separate shifts for the different regions (Asia, Europe, America)
    • Friday, November 21!
    • This means late Thursday PDT for the early Asian shift.
  • Who is best for making presentations? Current topics:
    • How to localize articles – cww?
    • Tips and tricks for keeping up to date on translations — cilias?
    • Localizing for Firefox 3.1