Fennec Milestone Release for Windows Mobile

On behalf of everyone who have been tirelessly working towards this goal, I would like to announce that our first milestone release of Fennec for Windows Mobile is now available for download.

This release is pre-alpha, and intended to get the product into the hands of early adopters in order to get feed back and bug reports. In order to focus our efforts on getting this release out, we have targeted only one device, the HTC Touch Pro. This has a number of user interface implications, including graphics designed for a 300 dpi screen, control layout intended for a vga screen and reliance on a hardware keyboard for text input.

You can install this on your HTC Touch Pro by navigating to the cab installer with your existing browser. This will download the cab file and kick off the installation process.

Alternatively you can download the cab file to your desktop and transfer it to your device via activesync. Once the cab file has been copied to you device, navigate to it using file explorer (on the device) and click on the cab file to launch the installer.

Please note, its been brought to our attention that some carriers are filtering web traffic to preclude downloading cab files. If this is the case with your carrier, you’ll either have to download to your desktop and transfer by activesync, or be connected by wifi if you download directly to the device.

Our focus to this point has been to have a working, usable browser. To get there in a hurry we have punted in a few places, and I’d like to point a couple of them out. First is the update mechanism (both for the browser itself and for extensions). After installing this release, you will not be offered updates automatically, so please stay tuned for follow up releases. Also, we have disabled plug-in support. This is one of our high priority items going forward. Finally, as I mentioned before, there is no soft keyboard support. On an HTC Touch Pro, you’ll have to slide out the keyboard to enter a url.

Besides the release, we marked another major milestone yesterday when the final patch to NSPR landed and we were able to build for Windows Mobile off Mozilla’s trunk for the first time ever. I say the first time because minimo was built from branches of both NSS and NSPR.

Over the last week and half there have been several blog posts and “news” articles floating around the internet about leaked Windows Mobile Fennec builds. This has been fairly entertaining to those of us working on the project for a couple reasons. First, the builds that these posts have pointed to are the builds that I pointed to on twitter. They were intended to be used by the developers working on the project (or anyone else willing to deal with really buggy software) to find bugs before we pushed anything out to the general public.

Also, the concept of secret, leaked builds flies in the face of how Mozilla operates. Our source code is out there for everyone to see. We have a bug reporting system that anyone can (and is encouraged to) access to file new bugs or track the progress of existing bugs. The majority of our discussion around the project is entirely public on irc, our wiki or our meetings and conference calls.

I have been working for Mozilla for 16 months now. At first its a bit of an adjustment to having everything you do or say out there in the public. But after overcoming that initial shock, its a point of pride. This project goes to extraordinary lengths to be open and transparent. If you are going to write about Mozilla, take advantage of that. Read our meeting minutes, hop on irc to ask a question or even dial into the weekly status meeting. Its all out there, just look.

The Conversation {21 comments}

1. pocono raceway {Tuesday June 2, 2009 @ 1:56 pm}

The concept of this being alpha software seems to be lost on everyone. Perhaps you guys shouldn’t have made it look so cool, who knows.

2. quick weight lose {Wednesday June 3, 2009 @ 8:36 am}

I took got the checkerboard, but with messing around was able to get to the configuration pages. I tried to load igoogle, but it just sat there. You can definitely tell this is an Aplha release. It also took a very long time to load after tapping the icon.Thanks a lot for ur info sir

3. blog commenting service {Wednesday June 3, 2009 @ 8:37 am}

4. funny {Thursday June 4, 2009 @ 4:03 am}

My friend installed it sucesfully,and I can’t.We bought htc at the same time,same models.What can be the problem?

5. windshield repair {Thursday June 4, 2009 @ 4:09 am}

Yeah,same problem here

6. Xunda {Friday June 5, 2009 @ 4:08 am}

Thanks for the work guys. 😉

7. bsona {Friday June 5, 2009 @ 4:11 am}

Is it possible to install this build on Windows Mobile 6.1 Emulator?

8. online colleges {Friday June 5, 2009 @ 10:32 am}

I love Mozilla and tell all my friends to switch. I only have IE because some sites I visit require it but those are getting fewer and fewer.

9. dating review {Friday June 5, 2009 @ 11:05 am}

The installation was no Problem, took kinda long(more than 2minutes).
    But no i cannot start fennec, there is no error message or fennec opening.
    Since the XDA Terra has a hardware keyboarder I though it might have worked.

10. Chicken coops blueprint {Saturday June 6, 2009 @ 11:11 am}

We have to support our developers, I think it is natural thing to do.

11. bike-ratgeber.de {Monday June 8, 2009 @ 12:14 pm}

Nice if you could provide some screenshots.

12. Catering Equipment {Monday June 8, 2009 @ 3:55 pm}

I heard Fennec Alpha 1 for Windows Mobile 6 is available for download by developers and testers. But I am sure the Fennec project aims to bring the Firefox experience to mobile devices. The mobile browser market is highly competitive and there are some compelling alternatives to Fennec that are already available for Windows Mobile users, even Microsoft is gearing up to deliver a decent mobile browser to replace its disgracefully useless Pocket Internet Explorer. Lets see what Fennac can do!

13. Susan {Tuesday June 9, 2009 @ 5:57 am}

Great work guys, I am very glad that there are new releases coming, perfect

14. Buy Xenical Online {Tuesday June 9, 2009 @ 6:42 pm}

Good information, now i am going to digg this site.

15. Lichtkrieger {Tuesday June 9, 2009 @ 7:09 pm}

Now i did it: I installed the new build of fennec. Al right, the last one was really a very early one, but this seems to be usefull. Thanx, Michael.

16. شات {Tuesday June 9, 2009 @ 10:13 pm}

Yep, awesome stuff

17. regcure license {Wednesday June 10, 2009 @ 5:01 am}

Folsk, we definitely have to support these developers.

18. link building service {Wednesday June 10, 2009 @ 6:38 am}

I’m glad to see that Mozilla is activley getting involved in the mobile browser market. Minimo was good but I often found it just took too long to initially open and took up far too many resources. Maybe the final release of Fennec will address this

19. carisoprodol {Wednesday June 10, 2009 @ 4:18 pm}

I am so excited for this. Mainly for feedback, I too, am not able to look at any websites with Fennec. I eagerly await the next build. I’ve converted at least a 100 to Firefox and want to do the same with Fennec. Stock Sprint Touch Pro here.

20. Turner {Friday June 12, 2009 @ 5:28 pm}

Great stuff very helpful tips thanks

21. windshield glass replacement {Saturday June 13, 2009 @ 4:46 am}

It is not so awesome as you all claim. It could be far better. CPU optimisation is terrible. Why are you insist on the same crappy,not optimized kernel? Why don’t you finally listen to community and make something that don;t overload CPU with lines and lines of code?

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.