Jägermonkey: it’s in ur browser!!!
So, we went off for 8 months of studying the classic research, reverse engineering the competition, measuring, experimenting, designing, prototyping, analyzing performance, scrutinizing assembly code, redesigning, coding, and lots and lots of debugging. David Anderson and I intend to blog more about the techniques and technologies we used in our copious free time in the weeks between now and release.
- Big improvements in benchmark scores. Those aren’t the main goal–but they are a really convenient target for us to aim at.
Keep in mind that these are only preview builds, and we are not done yet, which means:
- If you come across something where our speed is not up to scratch, let us know! (For that matter, if you come across something that Jägermonkey works great on, we’d feel good hearing about that too!) We still have time to fix performance issues or add a key optimization or two. Filing a bug is the most convenient way for us (and this link should save you from any need to dig through Bugzilla). But the important thing for us is to find out, so always feel free to just send us an email.
Another cool thing is that we dared to give key pieces of the project to our interns this summer, and they all came through!
Finally, here’s the Jägermonkey team: from left to right, Andrew Drake, Alan Pierce, Sean Stangl, David Anderson, Luke Wagner, Chris Leary, and Dave Mandelin.