Kicking off Firefox 3 Download Day with a Boom!
It’s been an awesome morning and afternoon here at Mozilla headquarters. We launched Firefox 3 this morning and immediately felt the love from millions of people all over the world joining us to set a Guinness World Record for most software downloaded in 24 hours.
Our systems were quite busy earlier this morning so individual requests may not have gotten through – but they are all up now and serving a tremendous amount of traffic and downloads. We are currently serving almost 9,000 downloads a minute, which puts us on track to achieve 5-7 million downloads our first day of general availability.
To put some more color behind what’s been happening on this historic day:
- We exceeded the first day download mark for Firefox 2 of 1.6 million after just five hours of availability for Firefox 3.
- Net Applications is already reporting a 300% positive change in Firefox 3 market share worldwide just today.
- Over 500 articles about the launch were linked to from Google News
- The Firefox 3 launch made the front pages of BBC.co.uk, NYTimes.com, Liberation.fr, laRepubblica.it, Digg, Slashdot, Techcrunch, and Yahoo! News
- The completely redesigned Mozilla.com launched in over 25 language versions
- New community activity on SpreadFirefox.com has skyrocketed with dozens of new groups and hundreds of new postings
- Over 700 community launch parties have been registered on mozillaparty.com
Onwards to a new World Record, together!