Maker Party By The Numbers:
Total events during Maker Party: 1,100+
Individuals attending Maker Party events: 55,000+
Number of cities hosting Maker Party events: 240+
We are now almost one month into Maker Party and thousands of people have been contributing to build a global web literacy movement that is changing the world. If you haven’t joined the party yet, it’s not too late to get involved. Throw your own event, or find a Maker Party to attend. We have no shortage of inspiration! Check out this round-up of awesome events that happened last week:
Here’s what happened last week:
Skool Summer Tech Camp – July 21-August 1st, Budapest
This two week long summer tech camp for girls 11-13 was aimed at increasing the level of awareness and understanding of the field of computer science by letting participants explore their creativity. Get more information here.
Maker Party – Newspaper Remix – July 28th, Glasgow
Attendees of this party investigated what happened on July 28th in history around the Commonwealth, then made their own digital newspaper to share current and past events by playing with code on Mozilla Thimble. Get more information here.
Check out this Vine from the event:
Hive Chattanooga Maker Party – August 2nd, Chattanooga
Educators from across the region were on hand to help youth and their parents build, explore, and create on the web in the local Chattanooga Public Libary. See the fantastic coverage in the local news here.
Chicago Southside Mini Maker Faire – August 2nd, Chicago
Hundreds of youth gathered at a local mall in Chicago to experience both physical and digital making. NASA facilitated workshops exploring engineering design by making rockets and gliders; and CodeCreate helped youth connect cardboard structures via arduinos and Scratch brought them to live with sounds. See pictures here.
Kids Maker Party – August 3rd, India
For the first Maker Party in Itarsi, individuals celebrated international friendship day by learning how to create for the web and creating makes to celebrate the day with high school students in the local community. Read more about the event here.
- Check out the Blindstore created at CERN Webfest.
- See all the makes from the Tech-Girls Maker Party here.
- A Maker Party report out from Womoz Warangal in India.
- Need some cool Maker Party gear for your event? Find out how to make or request it.
- Learn how to host a 1-hour Net Neutrality Maker Party.
- Have questions or want to talk to others in the community, be sure to jump into Discourse.
In The News
- Making the Internet work for Democracy via Huffington Post
- Attendees get hands on with programming, at Maker Party in the Strip via Tribe Live
- Educating versus mobalizing your advocates via Connectivity