Every week, people all over the world are throwing events in their communities to celebrate Maker Party 2014. We will be showcasing many of those events and the cool things people are making right here on this blog, so check back every week!
Here’s what happened last week:
Mozfest East Africa – July 11-13th, Uganda
Maker Party kicked-off with a bang with this first of its kind event in Kampala where over 300 individuals from schools, colleges, universities gathered to learn about the web. Read more in this blog post from Mark Surman or in this Maker Party kick-off press. See pictures from the event here.
Code for Cape Town Maker Party – July 14-18th, Cape Town
Participants of the Code4CT camp participated in a Maker Party where they brought a friend and taught them basic HTML using Codecademy, Made with Code and Webmaker resources. Read more on the blog or in this post by the School of Open and check out their awesome teaching kit filled with many different webmaking activities. See pictures from the event here.
Maker Party in my home – July 15th, India
In honor of the launch, Meraj planned a last minute party in his house with some youth in the community. He taught them the principles of online etiquette including how to protect your personal information, being safe on e-mail and proper ways to communicate with each other online. You can read more in his blog or take a look at this story make. See pictures from this event here.
Maker Party Kick-offs in Mozilla Spaces – July 17th, Around The World
To celebrate Maker Party, staff from Mozilla locations around the world gathered and completed hands-on activities while learning about Appmaker. You can watch the livestream introduction of Appmaker from Toronto here. Check out this awesome event recap and pictures from San Francisco. Also view pictures from Taipei, Vancouver, and Toronto.
New York City Summer Quest Maker Party – July 17-18th, NYC
Students of the New York City Summer Quest Program learned how to create digital tools and new technology from the 15 local organizations who were involved in this two-day hands-on learning experience. You can see the event in this coverage from Bronx local news or read more about the organizations present here. See pictures from The LAMP here.
Maker Express – July 19th, India
Bala organized Maker Express to share his learning of the open web and how to use tools to make on the web with his community. His blog post can be read here and many great pictures here.
MozBelajar Maker Party – July 20th, Indonesia
A full-day session for individuals in Indonesia where they learned how to hack the web with Webmaker tools. You can see a quick glimpse of the event here.
Maker Party Hyderabad – July 20th, India
Attendees in this event managed to make 300 makes in less than 3 hours! It’s no surprise that this event had a packed room and was a hit!
- Great report back make from Mauritius.
- New activity kit for the fun HTML game Erase all Kittens.
- See this postcard make all the way from Glasgow.
- A Popcorn Maker make with cool facts on kites.
- You may have seen others already using it, but be sure to tell us how your event went with this great new report back.
- Are you in Latin America? There are some great new translated resources available for you this Maker Party.
- Have questions or want to talk to others in the community, be sure to jump into Discourse.
IN THE NEWS
- Mozilla kicks off Maker Party 2014, a two-month celebration of making and learning on the Web via The Next Web.
- The Maker Party is on! Join the global campaign to teach the web via Non-profit Technology Network.
- CoderDojo to celebrate teaching and learning the web with Mozilla Maker Party.
- Mozilla Global “Maker Party” Supports Web Literacy via Learning Solutions Magazine.
- Seperti Ini Papertoy Maskot KUMI Mozilla Edisi Maker Party via Liputan 6.