As the Webmaker project matures from an experiment in teaching the web to a community-driven hub for making, you may have noticed a few changes to the look of Webmaker.org lately. One of the changes we are most excited about is the addition of a new Feature Gallery to showcase your 12 most most creative and crazy Makes of the week. Each Monday you’ll find a brand new set of inspiring Makes ready to share and remix — and with the release of our new “Webmaker’s Hottest” series, Webmaker’s editor will make sure each featured Make gets the love it deserves across our global communities.
For our first-ever installment of Webmaker’s Hottest, the focus is on kittens, uncomfortable close-ups and self-atomising machines. From translucent PNG moustaches to Open(Art) gif-making jams to tight white pants, it’s all about unexpected and creative uses of the Webmaker toolset.
Here are the details on the makers who created this week’s best:
- From webmaker Pkittle, a hilarious ode to the classic Will Ferrell-Jimmy Fallon tight pants split,
- From the Webmaker editorial team, the return of a much-loved Starter Make that shows makers how to create their own magazine covers with a bit of HTML,
- From webmaker Ollie, a whirlwind video dedicated to looking at pictures of the Internet, on the Internet,
- From this year’s Open(Art) Fellows, an ingenious gif-based moving image Make to the tune of “Another One Bites the Dust”,
- From webmaker Mathmatrix, a colourful Heru gig poster remixed from a Starter Make and featuring a diverse lineup of acts (remix your own version here),
- From Persona designer Ryan Feeley, the best and most interactive PNG moustache-maker we’ve ever seen,
- From webmaker Kibarra1990, a chuckle-worthy gif and song remix entitled “Let’s Get It On Cats” and equally amusing remix of our magazine cover Starter Make entitled “Uncomfortable Closeups“,
- From webmaker Jaxon, a lovely educational video all about Mt. Shasta Lavender Farms,
- From Webmaker Mentor Chad Sansing, a fun new Starter Make created for the Making Learning Connected MOOC that allows makers to create their own version of a Tube Map,
- From the Bay Area Filmmaking Coalition’s Hybrid Filmaking Project, a beautiful video entitled “Black Girls Code” about an organisation that provides technology training for girls of colour,
- And finally, from webmaker Dogtrax, a hilarious remix of our comic Starter Make featuring a set of very cute kittens (remix your own version here)!
We’d like to say a big thank you to each of the brave and creative makers above who dug into the Webmaker toolset and made our first week of the Webmaker’s Hottest series so fun to create!
Have a great Make and want us to feature it here? When you publish, add the tag “#makerparty” so we can find it. We want to see your best photos, remixes and creations! And stay tuned next week for Makes that walk on the dark side, fly with blackbirds and go “bump” in the night.