It’s time for Issue 3 of Webmaker’s Hottest fresh off the press, a brand-new series showcasing the most inspiring and irresistible-to-remix work of makers around the world, featuring your 12 most wonderful makes on the Webmaker homepage each week.
While our last issue was all about eccentric pursuits, from zombie-hunting to scary story-reading to Sailor Moon to DIY T-shirt stencils, this week focused on Independence Day celebrations for one of Mozilla’s most active communities of leaders and webmakers — India!
August 15th marked the 66th anniversary of India’s independence, and it also marked the creation of a colourful and vibrant set of remixes commemorating these accomplishments from webmakers across the globe, all saying “Jai Hind” in their own ways! And because we couldn’t resist adding a few spicier makes into the mix to help keep things eclectic, our featured India Remix makes were joined by other interlopers such as Japanese dinosaurs, battling computers, matchmaking games and a plate of memorable scrambled eggs!
Here are details on Webmaker’s 12 featured makes of the week:
- From webmaker Umesh, an inspiring video about the customs, culture and people that make India such a special place to be;
- From webmaker Tripad , a beautiful remix of one of our Starter Makes featuring a set of news pieces about India’s Independence Day;
- From webmaker Tatemars, a hilarious Bollywood zombie re-invention of Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ by Tate Mars;
- From a Mozilla community group in Japan, an awesome dinosaur battle narrated in Japanese;
- From a well-attended #makerparty event at Dicer in Pune, India, a beautiful magazine cover focused on Indian independence by webmaker atul;
- From Mentor Community lead Laura Hilliger in Germany, an epic history of computer operating systems in comic strip form;
- From Jacob Caggiano in Seattle, an ode to unsung science hero Cecila Payne-Gaposchikin, who discovered many of the facts we know today about the sun;
- From a talented young maker at Hive’s Summer Quest Camp in New York City, a colourful new remake of the old Hulk/Wolverine rivalry;
- From the heart of India, a great multimedia comic about the importance of Indian Independence Day by webmaker ajeet;
- From Mozilla SuperMentor Emma Irwin and the Generation Open team, a call-out to get involved with Webmaker through a fun app that sets up matches between learning collaborators;
- From webmaker Chris Sloan, a new six word memoir that focuses on the beauty of cooking a fresh plate of scrambled eggs;
- And from webmaker Dojakwon, an inspiring wrap-up of this month’s Summer Quest #makerparty at the Bronx Public Library.
Don’t forget that each of our featured makes are ready to be remixed — you can hack them now by clicking “Remix” on the top right-hand side of each make. We’d love to see what you come up with. We’d also like to say a massive thank you to each of this week’s patriotic and creative makers for such a colourful, crazy and spicy set of makes!
Stay tuned next week for a set of film-ready makes that tell stories through GIFs! Want to be a part of next week’s motion picture feature theme? Get started by remixing this Motion Pictureshow make and send your finished product to Webmaker’s editor using the tag #makerparty — we’d love to see it! More details on how to get featured can be found here.
Until next week, we’ll see you on the wild web!