It’s time for Issue 5 of Webmaker’s Hottest fresh off the press, your friendly community showcase of the most inspiring and irresistible-to-remix creations by makers around the world! This week, we crawled through 50,616 projects to find our 12 Best of Maker Party features — and believe us, it was no easy task!
In the spirit of a remarkable summer of teaching and building the web around the world, with 58,000 makers in local communities getting creative at over 1,694 events globally, the projects highlighted this week are the most diverse bunch we’ve seen yet. They were made in Bangalore, in London, in Greece and Japan, in Indonesia and Maharashtra. They reflect new ideas and shared learning from Manilla in the Philippines to New York City in the USA, and from rural Pakistan to downtown Madrid. The variety of these makes — and the stories of the amazing mentors who have helped bring them to life — reflect the ways that Webmaker itself is evolving into a global network of practice and learning.
Here are details on each of this issue’s Webmaker’s 12 featured makes of Maker Party, with a focus on the diverse local communities that created them:
- From an action-packed Maker Party in Bangalore, India (photos here), a fun remix about Thimble by Webmaker Komal_Ji_Gandhi;
- From Campus Party in London, UK (photos here) a brilliant Heat Magazine cover remix by Webmaker Naich (if you live in the UK, you can create your own cover remix to win an iPad!);
- From the always-amazing Athens Playathon in Greece, a make entitled ΜΙΑ ΜΕΡΑ ΣΤΗΝ ΑΚΡΟΠΟΛΗ by Zack Simha and Elena Lamprokostopoulou, inspired by the Parthenon;
- From Mozilla Festival Japan in Tokyo (photos here), an extremely cute multimedia make entitled “急に言われても” which in English translates to “I Was Told Suddenly To Do This”;
- From a Maker Party in Indonesia, a handy step-by-step guide to making a distinctively local Kumi Papertoy, created by Webmaker Vikingkarwur;
- From a packed Maker Party in Pune, Maharashtra, a world tour wish by Webmaker Max2coolmay, about Mayur, who wants to see the whole world;
- From the many great Maker Parties of Hive NYC, a maker’s in-depth reflections on the Summer of Learning by Webmaker Ginatesoriero;
- For school children in rural Pakistan, Webmaker Osman Alper’s educational remix of UNESCO assets under a “Health and Hygiene” theme for #UNESCOremix;
- From a NightScience Hackathon at the Centre de Recherches Interdisciplinaires in Paris, France, an event overview in graphic novel form, created by Webmaker Katakijano;
- Bringing in bright new ideas from a Maker Party with Mark Surman (photos here) in Surabaya, Indonesia, a postcard make entitled “Kartu Pos Gae Wong Iku” by Webmaker Nindaanggraini;
- From a Mozilla Reps camp in Madrid, Spain (photos here), a fun comic that illustrates how to create your own Webmaker event as a Rep, created by ReMo Lasr21;
- And from a laughter and fun-filled Maker Party in Manilla, Philippines (blog post about event here), an inside joke about the rain by Webmaker Shidokun.
Don’t forget that each of these featured makes are ready to be remixed — you can hack them now by clicking “Remix” on the top right-hand side of each make. We’d like to give another big thanks to all the communities, from Japan to Spain, who created so many inspiring things together at Maker Party — it’s been amazing.
Until next time, we’ll see you on the wild web!