Maker Party By The Numbers:
Total events during Maker Party: 2,230+
Individuals attending Maker Party events: 100,000+
Number of cities hosting Maker Party events: 400+
It is now week seven of Maker Party and we are excited that thousands of people are teaching critical skills to participants all over the world. There is still time to throw your own event so this week grab a friend or family member and spend an hour learning something new online. Remember to add all of your event to the events page even if it’s just you and one other person! Need some inspiration? Check out some of the amazing events that happened around the world this week.
Here’s what happened last week:
Maker Party Bulawayo – August 27th, Zimbabwe
This event helped participants learn basic privacy practices through hands on sessions and digital remixing. Participants were introduced to learning resources designed to help people think about their own privacy, as well as what one can do to manage and protect it. Read more and see more pictures in this recap.
Maker Party Code Club and Lyst – August 28th, London
Code Club & Lyst hosted two half-day sessions involving hands on coding and making for 9-11 year olds. In the half day workshop participants learned how computer programming works, how to make their own computer game and then got hands on with some interactive electronics (including making a piano out of bananas with Makey Makey). Pictures, video and a recap from a parent here.
Media Party! – August 28-30th, Buenos Aires, Argentina
This three day party includes many keynotes, workshops, demos, networking and an open data hackathon. During the Maker Party, participants learned how to make their first app, as well how they can go on and teach appmaking to someone else. Read more in the event blog post.
Video Editing 101 – A Maker Party Intro – August 25th, Toronto
hErVOLUTION and People and Code hosted a four-day camp-like experience at a local library for youth 10 to 17 years old teaching how to use online, free resources for video editing. Read more in the event recap.
Webmakers of Amman – August 30th, Jordan
The team at I-Dare hosted it’s Maker Party for people in the community of all ages and backgrounds to come learn more about the internet, how to use it’s tools and how to protect yourself on it. The event left attendees inspired to be better at using the internet and feel more connected in the online world. Learn more here.
- Keep track of your pet’s battle scores with this fun app
- Download this stopwatch app for your phone
- Read this Maker Party event report from a Show (what you made) and Tell Party
- Use this teaching kit from a Maker Party in the park in Indonesia this weekend (no computer or internet needed for this party!)
- Share your Maker Party events with this easy, quick and helpful event reporter (it’s also available in Spanish)
In the News
- See the video of the Maker Party pop up in Seattle
- Mozilla Malaysia Presents “Hive Malaysia : Teach The Web Kuala Lumpur” this Weekend via Lowyat
- Basic coding is fast becoming a part of basic literacy via A.M. News