This post has no specific Mozilla-related information. It is more for reference and to better understand the Vietnamese Internet market as Mozilla prepares to launch Firefox 3.5 in Vietnamese.
Thanh Nien News.com is reporting on a survey of Vietnamese Internet users. This may be the first survey of Internet users in Vietnam and thus is worth looking at in detail. Yahoo conducts Vietnam’s first Net-users survey
The survey was conducted in December of 2008 by “Yahoo and TNS Media polled more than 1,200 people aged 15 and above in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang and Can Tho who use the Internet.”
* 80% of Vietnamese Internet users are between 15 and 19 years old. Large portions of the Vietnamese populace have yet to get online.
* average time online doubled from 2006 to 2008 to 43 mins./day
* average time watching TV fell by 21% but still significant at almost 4 hours/day.
* more Internet users at home than at net cafes (66% from home in the 3 months before the survey); I had imagined more net cafe usage.
* online advertising market in Vietnam is $2.8 mil. USD in 2008.