Mozilla Scheduled Downtime – 3/6/2007, 7pm – 11pm PST (0300 – 0700 3/7/2007 UTC)
We will have a scheduled downtime window this Tuesday from 7pm to 11pm PST. The following changes will take place:
* 7pm PST (0300 UTC) – mozilla.com mail upgrade. We’ll be upgrading Zimbra to 4.5.3 and testing failover. Expected downtime is 2-3 hours, but could run the length of the window.
* 7pm PST (0300 UTC) – load balancer software upgrade. We’ll be upgrading the software on our load balancers. No expected downtime.
* 8pm PST (0400 UTC) – static site & cvs-mirror migration to global load balancing. The following sites will be added into the global load balancing pool: aus, fxfeeds, sfx, redirect-com, redirect-org, firefox.com, cvs-mirror. No expected downtime.
* 8pm PST (0400 UTC) – kernel upgrades. The following hosts will receive kernel upgrades and a reboot: dm-webtools02,notorious,mradm01,osadm01,dm-cvs01,osdb01,osdb02,osdb03,osdb04,khan-vm,cm-mail01,cm-mail02,dm-mail01,dm-mail02,dm-nagios01,dm-stats01,dm-stats02,dm-peep01,dm-svn01,dm-svn02,im-ns02,dracula,giles,cm-vpn01. Intermittent downtime should be expected for all of these hosts through the window.
Affected services: (all will experience downtime of 5 minutes or so)
* download.mozilla.org (no database access)
* mailing lists that are gatewayed to newsgroups (news will still be
available, mail will be queued, so no messages will be lost, web
interface will be unavailable)
* mail.mozilla.com (Zimbra) (mail will be queued, no messages lost, but
webmail, pop3, and imap will be unavailable)
* smtp.mozilla.org (mail will be queued, no messages lost, outbound mail
will be unavailable)
* mpt-vpn.mozilla.org (any existing VPN connection will be dropped)
* Any site in the San Jose colo that uses LDAP authentication will have
a few minutes where any authentication attempts will result in failures.
Please let me know if you have any reason why we should not proceed with the planned maintenance. As always, we aim to keep downtime to as little as possible, but unexpected complications can arise causing longer downtime periods than expected. All systems should be operational by the end of the maintenance window. Feel free to email infra at mozilla.com if you see issues past the planned downtime.