- Introducing the Concept Series; Call for Participation (August 4, 2008)
- Concept Series Design Jams at University of Michigan (October 30, 2008)
- Videos from Design Challenge Tutoring Sessions now online (April 23, 2009)
- Introducing the Design Challenge: Summer 09 – “Reinventing Tabs in the Browser” (May 14, 2009)
What’s a Concept?
Concepts may take the form of Ideas, Mockups or Prototypes.
- Ideas It all begins with an idea. A sentence, paragraph, or even bullet-points kick-start the process. Ideas can be simple and non-technical. It should be easy for anyone and everyone to help shape the future of the Web. So throw your notions, inspirations, dreams and visions out to the community.
- Mockups Turn your idea (or someone else’s) into an image, sketch or video. Words are great, but you know what they say about pictures. Mockups offer up a visual and communicate ideas in terms that are just a bit more polished and real. They draw the next person in, tempting them to pick up the concept and run with it.
- Prototypes A prototype is interactive. Feel, touch and play with developing concepts. Prototypes get ideas across by showing off the moving parts. They aren’t always fully functional or pretty, but they’re more than a static image or two. They’re a dress rehearsal of sorts, with minimal programming. Make a prototype in HTML, Flash, or whatever puts things into action.
How Do I Contribute A Concept?
Soon we’ll have a more structured way to contribute concepts.
For now, all you have to do is use your favorite method of sharing an concept with the world. If it’s an idea, blog about it. If it’s a mockup, put it on Vimeo, Youtube or Flickr. If it’s a prototype, host it on your web site. Then tag it with “mozconcept“.
Remember: Videos or sketches don’t have to be high-tech, fancy, or polished. You don’t have to be a “computer” person, and no code is required. You can just stand in front of a camera, hold up bits of paper with sketches, and talk.
And please do let us know about it by posting to the Concept Series discussion forum.