Using Gmail filters to identify important Bugzilla mail

Like most Mozilla developers, I get a lot of bugmail. Maybe 10% of that is important, e.g. bugs I filed, bugs I have to review patches for, etc. The other 90% of that is stuff I have a passing interest in.

I have a couple of Gmail filters that I use to separate these two streams of email.  They’re non-obvious, so I promised Paul Biggar that I would blog about these so that he and others could do the same thing.

To catch interesting bugmail, on Gmail’s “Create a Filter” screen, in the “From:” field put:

bugzilla-daemon@mozilla.org

and in the “Has the words:” field put:

"review?(nnethercote" OR "you are the assignee" OR "you reported" OR "you are on the CC list" OR subject:"review granted" OR subject:"review requested" OR subject:"review canceled" OR subject:"feedback requested" OR subject:"feedback granted" OR subject:"feedback canceled"

To catch less interesting bugmail, on Gmail’s “Create a Filter” screen, in the “From:” field put:

bugzilla-daemon@mozilla.org

and in the “Doesn’t have:” field put:

("you are the assignee" OR "you reported" OR "you are on the CC list" OR subject:"review granted" OR subject:"review requested" OR subject:"review canceled" OR subject:"feedback requested" OR subject:"feedback granted" OR subject:"feedback canceled")

I’ve modified them a few times and they work very well for me.  It’s possible there are some cases that they miscategorize but I haven’t seen that happen for a long time.

Update: In the first “Has the words:” field, you’ll obviously need to change nnethercote to something else.

4 Responses to Using Gmail filters to identify important Bugzilla mail

  1. Why don’t you use the bugzilla keywords in the mail header ?

    • Nicholas Nethercote

      Ludovic: that’s what I initially tried to to, but as far as I could determine Gmail filters don’t let you filter on the contents of the mail header (other than “from” and “subject”).

  2. Fredrik Larsson

    I wonder if the Gmail priority inbox would be able to learn about this with some training. It seems like it would be a fairly good fit, since it’s phrase-oriented and such.

    Of course, filters mean no training required other than editing the filter itself.

  3. Package up and export your useful gmail filters:

    http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/new-in-labs-filter-importexport.html

    It is simpler to construct OR phrases like so:

    {“you are the assignee” “you reported”} OR subject:{“review granted” “review requested”}

    etc.