Justin Lebar made it so that memory reports could be collected on production B2G phones (i.e. not just developer phones with root access). This was a MemShrink:P1, because getting these reports is crucial.
Gregor Wagner tuned the GC heuristics used by workers. This is important for B2G, which uses workers extensively.
Andrew McCreight fixed a leak involving audio contexts.
I added a memory reporter for event targets, which includes XHRs. This can measure multiple MiB of memory when running Gmail.
I added a memory reporter for data held by the JS engine’s regexp JIT compiler. It usually measures insignificant amounts.
I fixed an inaccuracy in the “resident” memory report tree, which is visible in about:memory when running on Linux, which was caused by a change in recent kernels.
The recent results on AWSY have been ugly. There were two bad regressions in December, as the following graph makes clear.
John Schoenick did some work to improve AWSY to make regression hunting easier, and as a result we finally know which changes caused these regressions.
- A refactoring of images code caused the bigger regression, on December 18. Seth Fowler is looking into this.
- Two changes relating to the new DOM bindings caused the smaller regression on December 11/12. This is largely because many more JS getter/setter functions are present. It’s not clear yet how to win back this memory, though it should be possible to turn these changes off in the short-term.
These regressions have made it to the Aurora branch, which means there is some urgency now to either fix them or back out/disable them soon. We don’t want them to reach Beta.
Here are the current bug counts.
- P1: 21 (-1/+7)
- P2: 125 (-2/+11)
- P3: 104 (-1/+3)
- Unprioritized: 4 (-17/+3)
The changes are larger than usual because we had a big log of untriaged bugs to go through, due to the six week break since the last MemShrink meeting.