areweslimyet.com proved its value again, identifying a 40 MiB regression relating to layer animations. Joe Drew fixed the problem quickly. Thanks, Joe!
Ben Turner changed the GC heuristics for web workers on B2G so that less garbage is allowed to accumulate. This was a MemShrink:P1.
Bas Schouten fixed a gfx top-crasher that was caused by inappropriate handling of an out-of-memory condition. This was also a MemShrink:P1.
Randell Jesup fixed a leak in WebRTC code.
Changes to these progress reports
I’ve written over sixty MemShrink progress reports in the past two years. When I started writing them, I had two major goals. First, to counter the notion that nobody at Mozilla cares about memory consumption — this was a common comment on tech blogs two years ago. Second, to keep interested people informed of MemShrink progress.
At this point, I think the first goal has been comprehensively addressed. (More due to the fact that we actually have improved Firefox’s memory consumption than because I wrote a bunch of blog posts!) As a result, I feel like the value of these posts has diminished. I’m also tired of writing them; long-time readers may have noticed that they are much terser than they used to be.
Therefore, going forward, I’m only going to post one report every four weeks. (The MemShrink team will still meet every two weeks, however.) I’ll also be more selective about what I write about — I’ll focus on the big improvements, and I won’t list every little leak that has been fixed, though I might post links to Bugzilla searches that list those fixes. Finally, I won’t bother recording the MemShrink bug counts. (In fact, I’ve started that today.) At this point it’s pretty clear that the P1 list hovers between 15 and 20 most of the time, and the P2 and P3 lists grow endlessly.
Apologies to anyone disappointed by this, but rest easy that it will give me more time to work on actual improvements to Firefox 🙂