After last week’s action, this week was quieter for MemShrink.
I mentioned last week the plan to test the top 100 add-ons for memory leaks. Unfortunately we learned this week that the list I gathered is the top 100 installed add-ons, not the top 100 enabled add-ons. It’s quite possible that a lot of installed “third-party” add-ons (those installed by a program outside of Firefox, such as anti-virus programs) are disabled, in which case this top 100 list won’t reflect actual usage.
As a result, the top 100 testing is on hold until we can resolve this issue. Telemetry data may help, though that data might exhibit opt-in biases. I’m also going to investigate the possibility of changing the daily ping to distinguish between enabled and disabled add-ons, which would give us fully representative data.
I merged the “dom+style” and “layout” trees in about:memory. This is a step towards per-tab memory reporting. It also probably breaks about:nosy
I also converted the DOM memory reporters to the new style, added measurement of URIs and links, and added measurement of the FramePropertyTable. These changes reduced about:memory’s “heap-unclassified” by several MBs in common cases.
Bill McCloskey changed the GC marker stack so it shrinks periodically. Previously it could grow from 256KB to over 2MB and would never be shrunk once that happened.
This week’s bug counts:
- P1: 29 (-0/+1)
- P2: 131 (-4/+6)
- P3: 87 (-3/+7)
- Unprioritized: 1 (-2/+1)