Firefox 3.6 Beta (revision 2) now available
Editor’s note: Mozilla released Firefox 3.6 beta 2 on Tuesday, November 10, 2009. Check out the Mozilla Developer News announcement reposted below for more details.
Last night the Mozilla community published Firefox 3.6 Beta 2, and
issued an update for all Firefox 3.6 beta users. This update contains
over 190 fixes from the last Firefox 3.6 beta, containing many
improvements for web developers, Add-on developers, and users. The
Mozilla community appreciates your feedback and assistance in testing
this preview of the next version of Firefox. Your beta software will
update itself periodically, and eventually will be updated to the final
The Beta of Firefox 3.6 / Gecko 1.9.2 introduces several new features
for users to evaluate:
* (New in this update) A mechanism to prevent incompatible software
from crashing Firefox.
* Users can now change their browser’s appearance with a single
click, with built in support for Personas.
* Firefox 3.6 will alert users about out of date plugins to keep
* Open, native video can now be displayed full screen, and supports
* Support for the WOFF font format.
and startup time.
* Support for new CSS, DOM and HTML5 web technologies.
Web developers and Add-on developers should read more detail about the
many new features in Firefox 3.6 for developers on the Mozilla Developer
Center. For the full list of changes since the alpha release, see this
list (it’s big).
Please use the following links to download Firefox 3.6 Beta, or visit
the beta download page:
* Windows: Firefox 3.6 Beta 2 Setup.exe
* Mac OS X: Firefox 3.6 Beta 2.dmg
* Linux: firefox-3.6b2.tar.bz2
At this time most Add-ons have not yet been upgraded by their authors to
be compatible with Firefox 3.6 Beta. If you wish to help test your
Add-ons, please also download and install the Add-on Compatibility
Reporter – your favorite Add-on author will appreciate it!
As always, the Mozilla community would appreciate hearing about any
feedback you have about this release, or any bugs you may find.